• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ameratsu

They can potentially market it to the city driver or short trip commuter similar to the smart cars/all electric vehicles. It wouldn't be a huge seller but imo it would at least add some dynamic to their pretty stale line up as of the past decade or so. They could also bring over the n-box and market them together as small city runners one with the potential to be a fun little sports car. Would it work? who knows. But constantly waiting around for the Honda of America from the late 80s early 90s spirit to come back into the line up is becoming a chore. I wish I could keep driving my 86s forever, but parts will become hard to find and all most Honda fans will get is a near 40k civic type-r or 30k si.

Honda has some fun little cars in it's japanese line up that the US market will never see, but i don't think that has as much to do with the overall potential sale but more to how the dealer network works in the US. Japan up until the mid 2000s had the 3- direct honda dealers to go to for a bunch of various models. Oh well. guess we'll just keep on waiting for all these cars to hit 25 years old before getting them stateside.

I need to say that I totally get where you're coming from. I have personally never owned a car made after the 90s. The period that followed (00-10) was very lacking in comparison to what as available from the mid 80s to the mid 90s from Japanese brands. From everything I've read about the mid 80s-mid 90s period of Japanese cars, it seems like an incredible exception rather than a period that we could ever return to.

Right now, gas prices are way too low to really market from that angle at all. It's also really important to note that you are proposing that Honda of America bring over two vehicles that would be new territory for not just their brand, but their market period. Kei-cars in Japan are a well-established class of vehicle, with advantages in insurance and operating costs, while in Canada and the US few to none of these benefits would be realized. People here have exceptions regarding size, fuel economy, and power -- either of these cars would challenge those expectations due to being much smaller and slower than modern cars. Even then, people truly wanting the cheapest new runabout possible would continue to buy something like a Mitsubishi Mirage which would be cheaper and have more space.

Honda would essentially have to re-engineer the s660 into something like an s1000, which is frankly kind of an insane proposition considering how small the market would be.

nib95

Banned
Anyone ever done any of those rally driving experience things? My time in the countryside speeding about in the dirt tracks has got me interested now. Tempted to give one a go but have no idea what to expect. Only want to do it if they actually properly let you kick about in the car and not force you to be pedestrian about it for 'safety' reasons.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You guys see the 2017 Camaro ZL1 yet? 640hp/640tq and comes in a 6-speed manual and 10??!!-speed auto:

http://youtu.be/zwTuJ-FAi8U

It also comes in a convertible. Which, why buy a convertible that you can't track on a car built to be a track car out of the way, and you have to admit, that's pretty badass. A 640hp, supercharged muscle car with a top that goes down, that can easily take a corner for $60K. That's awesome.

cube444

Have a few pics of some work done to my car. Added a downpipe, custom tune and custom exhaust. I feel at this point that I'm done putting any more into the car as beyond this we'd be talking hybrid turbos, beefed up tranny, etc.

Currently we're at 310/515 to the wheels.

Will link to pics rather than embed them as I'm not sure if they'd be too big or an outside app is needed:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Evo X

6fDLfdf.jpg

xyWTtya.jpg

n2JuE34.jpg

Reven

Evo, for once the smart move and the fun move is the same. BUY IT! The car is certainly gonna appreciate thanks to how limited and great it is. Sure the GTS is like 80-90% as good, but its a freaking GT4 man.

I think the suzuki samurai is about it.

Honda probably wouldn't sell enough of these for them to consider it worth it to them.

Interesting, but per Wikipedia even for the Samurai they had to give it a bigger engine and make the whole thing wider and longer than the underlying kei car. So yeah like ameratsu says, it's not a question of just bringing over the existing s660, it's a question of making a new s1000.

matmanx1

The GT4 is one the best looking, most fun to drive cars in the world right now. How could you say no to that? And I love it in white with the red accents.I think it is fantastic. Congrats!

matmanx1

And I will also have a car story to tell. Tomorrow though, not tonight. I am too tired because my day started at 2:30 eastern time and included an airplane ride and then 8 hours of driving. It was worth it though! Pics and details tomorrow. It won't be as cool as Evo's car but I am rather pleased about it.

Evo X

Yooo congrats! Like some others have said, I think it will go up in value, so take care of it, but have fun!

Well, since that is likely the best car Porsche will ever make, I suppose it's not that insane a move. Congrats Evo, you enjoy that!

Thanks!

Congrats!!! Did you trade the GTS or are you keeping that?

Traded the GTS. Was a little sad to see it go, especially since it was such a great companion on the road trip, but oh well. Onto bigger and better things!

The GT4 is one the best looking, most fun to drive cars in the world right now. How could you say no to that? And I love it in white with the red accents.I think it is fantastic. Congrats!

Seriously. Once I saw it in person and took it for a drive, I knew there was no way I was leaving the dealership without it.

This is my first white car. The details such as carbon fiber and red stitching and accent look so good in person. It's the same color combo as my Ducati 848 Evo and Triumph Street Triple R and both of those got tons of compliments.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Apparently, it's a seller's market out here. The team at MW Barrington were more than happy to have my business, however.

HDFKsKh.jpg

I'm gonna message you on FB. I've been looking for a new coupe. The F Type is still bae, but I'm really concerned that no backseat would mean I'd rack up miles on the new XF quick. Or not. Idk. But the M4 is a car I've had my eye on since I drove it.

Bought it. YOLO.

Yousonofabitch.Gif

Yes!!!! Congrats man.

Bought it. YOLO.

YASSSSSS!

Congrats man!!!

I had a feeling that 6-speed manual would win you over lol.

Is it bad that I kept checking the thread every hour for an update? Only to forget checking since I went out on a drive lol.

And I will also have a car story to tell. Tomorrow though, not tonight. I am too tired because my day started at 2:30 eastern time and included an airplane ride and then 8 hours of driving. It was worth it though! Pics and details tomorrow. It won't be as cool as Evo's car but I am rather pleased about it.

If this is an NC Miata, this might be the greatest Saturday for Auto-GAF lol.

Interesting, but per Wikipedia even for the Samurai they had to give it a bigger engine and make the whole thing wider and longer than the underlying kei car. So yeah like ameratsu says, it's not a question of just bringing over the existing s660, it's a question of making a new s1000.

Yeah, the samurai isn't exactly the same dimensions as the jimny, but its pretty close. Its only like an inch wider, and 4 inches longer, I think. Either way, its pretty much the closest we've gotten to a kei car in recent times. The honda N600 was a kei car in Japan, except with a 360 cc engine though.

I think the engine is a main issue. Most people wouldn't want a 660cc 3cyl.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I'm gonna message you on FB. I've been looking for a new coupe. The F Type is still bae, but I'm really concerned that no backseat would mean I'd rack up miles on the new XF quick. Or not. Idk. But the M4 is a car I've had my eye on since I drove it.

No doubt. I've had the opportunity to drive lots of very high end hardware; even with that context, the M4 still offers legit thrills when pushing it. I think it offers the best balance of everything one can want and expect from a daily driver sports car in that price range. Pull the valves and enjoy.

GHG

Gold Member
Some more pics. Check out those brakes. God Dayum.

Feels pretty good to be back in a 6spd manual.

4s5iQTe.jpg

See how the car is already telling you to brake? It sees its future.

Congrats man, it looks fantastic. Have a lot of fun with it and sell it on for profit in a year or two!

Evo X

Beautiful. Well done!

Thanks!

white > red

I'm coming around to it. :D

Yousonofabitch.Gif

Yes!!!! Congrats man.

Thanks. Gave in to the peer pressure. Didn't want to be a COLOSSAL fool. lol

YASSSSSS!

Congrats man!!!

Is it bad that I kept checking the thread every hour for an update? Only to forget checking since I went out on a drive lol.

Yes, that rifle bolt six speed is boss. Also, its totally normal to check the thread every hour. I do the same thing on an almost daily basis. lol

Having followed AutoGAF since you started talking about buying one, this is an amazing result. Congrats dude!

Thanks! It's certainly been a long journey. Felt kind of surreal to finally see and drive it in real life after 14 months of discussing, speccing, and waiting.

Awesome congratulations :)

Congrats Evo. I'm so jealous.

Such an incredible car, enjoy it and congratulations!

Thanks bros.

Soooo what's it like to drive compared to the GTS? Must have made some impression!

I'll do a detailed comparison later, but all I can say is that it feels like a much more raw beast. Every input instantly feels sharper. More power and torque lower in the rev range. Godly brakes and grip. Those 295 section Michelin Cup 2 tires don't even fit in the rear fenders. The fixed bucket seats and transmission add to the experience as well coming from comfy sport seats and PDK. I'm hearing a lot more intake noise as well. Probably a combination of the larger engine, side air scoops, and less sound deadening material.

See how the car is already telling you to brake? It sees its future.

Congrats man, it looks fantastic. Have a lot of fun with it and sell it on for profit in a year or two!

lol, it is weird adjusting to an electronic emergency brake. Every time I park, I want to reach for the handbrake, but it's not there and I have to hit a switch underneath the steering column.

We shall see how long I end up keeping this car. Hope it keeps its value due to it's rarity.

Lucius86

Banned
On Friday I finally picked up my new beast of a car. I still feel like a 4-year old boy when I see it on the drive and each time I have got in the car. It was sad to see my 2012 Z4 go as the car looked after me well but the jump in car quality is astonishing.

I'm in love - such a beautiful machine and a joy to drive...the InControl Touch Pro is pretty overwhelming at first but I'm starting to get used to it. One thing the dealer got wrong was that it can't connect to your home wi-fi, but in actual fact it can so I was able to set all my account logins with the HERE Maps services whilst I wait for my data sim card to arrive next week.

Apparently this was the first car at the dealer I dealt with to receive InControl Touch Pro system, so all the technical team were playing around with it beforehand to learn how to use it. I wouldn't say it's that intuitive, but I'm sure I will pick it up with time. It is impressive to look at.

Now to enjoy it for the next 5 years.

Already planning my return to Japan since I got back. I would have loved to go next year, but I need time to save since it's going to be a lot more expensive since the last time I had gone.

I'm planning to do the drift Matsuri (festival) over at Ebisu Circuits. It's going to be a week long drifting event on any of the tracks of my choosing. To top it all off, that weekend the tracks are open for 24 hours a day! I need to purchase a track car to use during the time (as well as tires) as I'm trying to get as much seat time as possible.

Probably pick up a JZX90 to thrash about since its the closest to my 100.

Bought it. YOLO.

Congrats on the awesome purchase my man!

Falch

Some more pics. Check out those brakes. God Dayum.

Feels pretty good to be back in a 6spd manual.

iFBrduS.jpg

]

Absolutely spectacular. Good on you for not listening to me. ;)

On Friday I finally picked up my new beast of a car. I still feel like a 4-year old boy when I see it on the drive and each time I have got in the car. It was sad to see my 2012 Z4 go as the car looked after me well but the jump in car quality is astonishing.

I'm in love - such a beautiful machine and a joy to drive...the InControl Touch Pro is pretty overwhelming at first but I'm starting to get used to it. One thing the dealer got wrong was that it can't connect to your home wi-fi, but in actual fact it can so I was able to set all my account logins with the HERE Maps services whilst I wait for my data sim card to arrive next week.

Apparently this was the first car at the dealer I dealt with to receive InControl Touch Pro system, so all the technical team were playing around with it beforehand to learn how to use it. I wouldn't say it's that intuitive, but I'm sure I will pick it up with time. It is impressive to look at.

Beautiful car, really looks the part in red.

DarkestHour

Banned
Bought it. YOLO.

Congrats! That is an awesome car! I decided against the Focus RS, canceled the order, and picked up a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with the performance pack yesterday. Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can have some fun with it.

Thank you guys for the responses on which car to get, but ultimately the RS was way too expensive and I've been wanting to get back in to a naturally aspirated V8 ever since I sold my GTO years ago.

Every time I hit the start button, hear the whirr of the starter, and then the exhaust rumble it makes me smile. I'm not sure how to explain the sound but it's something more special than any turbo 4 cylinder can do for me.

I will miss the Focus ST though, what an absolutely fun car to drive!

cube444

Congrats! That is an awesome car! I decided against the Focus RS, canceled the order, and picked up a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with the performance pack yesterday. Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can have some fun with it.

Thank you guys for the responses on which car to get, but ultimately the RS was way too expensive and I've been wanting to get back in to a naturally aspirated V8 ever since I sold my GTO years ago.

Every time I hit the start button, hear the whirr of the starter, and then the exhaust rumble it makes me smile. I'm not sure how to explain the sound but it's something more special than any turbo 4 cylinder can do for me.

I agree with you about that NA sound.

Congrats to you, Evo X and Lucius!

Evo X

Nice! Congrats, looks sexy. I hopped out of red car the same day you got in one.

Congrats on the awesome purchase my man!

Thanks!

Absolutely spectacular. Good on you for not listening to me. ;)

Thanks. :)

The heart wants what the heart wants. My brain shuts down when it comes to these decisions. lol

Thanks! Wow, this weekend is crazy for AutoGAF. So many people picking up sweet rides. Enjoy in good health!

I agree with you about that NA sound.

Congrats to you, Evo X and Lucius!

Thanks! Agreed on the N/A sound as well. There's a certain rasp to it that gets muffled on smaller turbo cars.

Congrats...you and evo got awesome cars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Yesssss!! And so, Jaguar-GAF starts to grow. Major congrats. If I order an F-Type this week, I'm getting it in red too. Gorgeous car, man.

Thanks. Gave in to the peer pressure. Didn't want to be a COLOSSAL fool. lol

We shall see how long I end up keeping this car. Hope it keeps its value due to it's rarity.

Hahaha, I was hoping you could that. I was even telling my wife how I may have peer pressured someone on the forum and called him a colossal fool if he didn't buy the car. And then you bought it and I was like "oh shit...hope Evo doesn't blame me if I'm wrong about the appreciating value". Hahahaha.

I mean honestly, there's no way I see this car losing value 5-10 years from now. No question it will see the standard new-market depreciation very briefly (even BMW 1Ms had it), but that will stop quick, the prices will lock, and then with time appreciate. Just think about it:

First time a proper 911 engine enters a Cayman ("allegedly" detuned).
6-speed manual.
911 GT3 Suspension, Brakes, and Steering.
Last naturally aspirated generation.
Last year of the "Cayman" badge, before being labeled a 718.
And doesn't have to sport the uglier 718 hardware and such.

So many first and lasts. This is Porsche's swan song for this generation.

As somebody planning to pick up a Focus ST in a few months... do you mind sharing your overall thoughts with it?

Coming from an NC Miata, I know that extra power is gonna get me trouble already, but I'm curious about the entire car. To me it seems like a Mazdaspeed 3 version 3, and having a lot of seat time in my brothers MS3, I love it... except for the understeer and torque steer haha.

I say screw value appreciation. Drive it like you stole it. It's just a car. If you want an inveatment go buy stocks.

I have a friend who owns a 997.2 gt3 RS. He drives it everywhere, anytime even to taco bell. People always ask him why..he's respond is always "it's just a car" ..more people should be more like him...

So yeah ..enjoy it! Don't worry about the value too much.

matmanx1

YASSSSSS!

Congrats man!!!

If this is an NC Miata, this might be the greatest Saturday for Auto-GAF lol.

Nah, that will come after I trade or sell the BMW, which will be some months or a year down the road. I've been after something with a little more utility as a 3rd car for a while now so that's what I got.

Gorgeous! Love the Jag in red and I know you will enjoy it also.

So after having my maxima up and running for two weeks, its broken again. This time its the u-joints on the driveshaft. Worst part is they're not even replaceable. Nissan designed it so you'd have to just replace the whole driveshaft. Pretty dumb. Oh well, I might as well do the manual swap I was planning, since I already have a manual driveshaft.

Top Bottom