• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

Here's my car adventure for the weekend: My wife and I got up at 2:30AM Saturday morning and she drove me to the Atlanta airport in preparation for a 7AM flight. TSA said to be there at least 2 hours early due to Easter weekend/Spring break travels and my flight boarded at 6:20 so I was there by 3:45AM. Wouldn't you know, it only took me 30 minutes to clear security and make it to the gate. Needless to say, I had a nice long wait at the gate in which to nap/ read on my iPad.

The flight was to Orlando, Florida. In Orlando, I was picked up at the airport by "Jeff" who I met on the Club Lexus forums a couple of months ago when I started looking around for something truck-like to be a 3rd vehicle for the wife and I. I just happened on a thread discussing the merits of the 03 and 04 GX 470's and Jeff mentioned to someone who had started shopping for one that he was beginning to think about selling his 04 and to message him for details.

I don't know if the other guy ever PM'd Jeff but I sure did. He sent me lots of photos, gave me volumes of info on the truck and was generally pleasant to deal with. He had taken meticulous care of the vehicle for the 7 years that he had owned it and every 5 - 6,000 miles it was at the dealership for and oil change and whatever service was due on the maintenance schedule. It's all on the Carfax and was all done at the same dealership in Florida. Oil changes, transmission fluid, coolant flush, brake fluid, timing belt and water pump, etc. all done on time as per the Lexus recommendations. Jeff took very good care of his truck.

It's a 2004 Lexus GX 470 and it shares a lot in common with a V8 Toyota 4Runner with 4WD from the same year, except you get some very nice exclusive Lexus amenities like rear air suspension and a Mark Levinson audio system. This one has about 118,000 miles and if you know these vehicles it is not uncommon to find them at 250,000+ miles and still going strong. They are built to last and I hope this one does.

EZuUNJl.jpg

KSUPoBg.jpg

The 500 mile trip back from Orlando was comfortable and smooth in the GX. I love the 4.7 V8. It's torquey and very smooth and even sounds good. I'm really pleased to have it and look forward to many miles of happy motoring.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's my car adventure for the weekend: My wife and I got up at 2:30AM Saturday morning and she drove me to the Atlanta airport in preparation for a 7AM flight. TSA said to be there at least 2 hours early due to Easter weekend/Spring break travels and my flight boarded at 6:20 so I was there by 3:45AM. Wouldn't you know, it only took me 30 minutes to clear security and make it to the gate. Needless to say, I had a nice long wait at the gate in which to nap/ read on my iPad.

The flight was to Orlando, Florida. In Orlando, I was picked up at the airport by "Jeff" who I met on the Club Lexus forums a couple of months ago when I started looking around for something truck-like to be a 3rd vehicle for the wife and I. I just happened on a thread discussing the merits of the 03 and 04 GX 470's and Jeff mentioned to someone who had started shopping for one that he was beginning to think about selling his 04 and to message him for details.

I don't know if the other guy ever PM'd Jeff but I sure did. He sent me lots of photos, gave me volumes of info on the truck and was generally pleasant to deal with. He had taken meticulous care of the vehicle for the 7 years that he had owned it and every 5 - 6,000 miles it was at the dealership for and oil change and whatever service was due on the maintenance schedule. It's all on the Carfax and was all done at the same dealership in Florida. Oil changes, transmission fluid, coolant flush, brake fluid, timing belt and water pump, etc. all done on time as per the Lexus recommendations. Jeff took very good care of his truck.

It's a 2004 Lexus GX 470 and it shares a lot in common with a V8 Toyota 4Runner with 4WD from the same year, except you get some very nice exclusive Lexus amenities like rear air suspension and a Mark Levinson audio system. This one has about 118,000 miles and if you know these vehicles it is not uncommon to find them at 250,000+ miles and still going strong. They are built to last and I hope this one does.

EZuUNJl.jpg

KSUPoBg.jpg

The 500 mile trip back from Orlando was comfortable and smooth in the GX. I love the 4.7 V8. It's torquey and very smooth and even sounds good. I'm really pleased to have it and look forward to many miles of happy motoring.

Nice. You can even tow stuff. Too bad you don't have snow or hills.

I say screw value appreciation. Drive it like you stole it. It's just a car. If you want an inveatment go buy stocks.

I have a friend who owns a 997.2 gt3 RS. He drives it everywhere, anytime even to taco bell. People always ask him why..he's respond is always "it's just a car" ..more people should be more like him...

So yeah ..enjoy it! Don't worry about the value too much.
Lol I'm the opposite... I hardly drive my GTR.

Nah, that will come after I trade or sell the BMW, which will be some months or a year down the road. I've been after something with a little more utility as a 3rd car for a while now so that's what I got.

Cool, you definitely won't regret getting the Miata especially if you've got another car to drive in crappy weather. It's actually something I'm finding hard to come to terms with, like I can get a FoST or a different car, but I'd probably have to sell my Miata if I do that simply because it's going to be a little expensive for a young dude to afford lol.

Anyway, those Lexus GX's are freakin' awesome. Back when I used to valet cars, they were one of my faves since they're so comfortable to be in.

ascii42

Yesssss!! And so, Jaguar-GAF starts to grow. Major congrats. If I order an F-Type this week, I'm getting it in red too. Gorgeous car, man.

Hahaha, I was hoping you could that. I was even telling my wife how I may have peer pressured someone on the forum and called him a colossal fool if he didn't buy the car. And then you bought it and I was like "oh shit...hope Evo doesn't blame me if I'm wrong about the appreciating value". Hahahaha.

I mean honestly, there's no way I see this car losing value 5-10 years from now. No question it will see the standard new-market depreciation very briefly (even BMW 1Ms had it), but that will stop quick, the prices will lock, and then with time appreciate. Just think about it:

First time a proper 911 engine enters a Cayman ("allegedly" detuned).
6-speed manual.
911 GT3 Suspension, Brakes, and Steering.
Last naturally aspirated generation.
Last year of the "Cayman" badge, before being labeled a 718.
And doesn't have to sport the uglier 718 hardware and such.

So many first and lasts. This is Porsche's swan song for this generation.

And even if it does depreciate, he'll have been driving a Cayman GT4 all that time, so he can't complain too loudly.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

EZuUNJl.jpg

KSUPoBg.jpg

Congrats! They are great trucks, man.

What part of Orlando FL were you in? Curious if it was anywhere near me. I'm just west of Orlando.

Also, I've found that traveling on the day-of a holiday is actually EXTREMELY awesome. I flew from NYC to Orlando on Christmas day...and JFK was absolutely empty. It was awesome. Everyone's at home or at church. Also the tickets are also very cheap on the actual day-of, as well.

Anion

Congrats Evo X on your beast of a GT4. What a beauty. Good decision. But all this talk about value worries me lol. DRIVE ITTTT

Congrats to Lucius86 for choosing a proper car in a stunning color. Im a sucker for red, so I love that.

Congrats to matmanx1, my father loved his 4runner. Im sure that lexus is even better, so good find. Also that leather is pretty dang amazing for 100k miles...like wow. I would wish my car ends up like that if I drive her that much haha

Evo X

Hahaha, I was hoping you could that. I was even telling my wife how I may have peer pressured someone on the forum and called him a colossal fool if he didn't buy the car. And then you bought it and I was like "oh shit...hope Evo doesn't blame me if I'm wrong about the appreciating value". Hahahaha.

I mean honestly, there's no way I see this car losing value 5-10 years from now. No question it will see the standard new-market depreciation very briefly (even BMW 1Ms had it), but that will stop quick, the prices will lock, and then with time appreciate. Just think about it:

First time a proper 911 engine enters a Cayman ("allegedly" detuned).
6-speed manual.
911 GT3 Suspension, Brakes, and Steering.
Last naturally aspirated generation.
Last year of the "Cayman" badge, before being labeled a 718.
And doesn't have to sport the uglier 718 hardware and such.

So many first and lasts. This is Porsche's swan song for this generation.

Yeah, it's certainly a special car, and I was beaming like an idiot on the drive home. Everything just feels perfect. The steering, throttle response, seats, brakes. Man, its one thing to watch/read reviews, and entirely different actually sitting in the cockpit.

I didn't buy it as an investment, but I hope it does keep it's value because it wasn't cheap to drive a GTS for only 8 months and trade it in.

I say screw value appreciation. Drive it like you stole it. It's just a car. If you want an investment go buy stocks.

I have a friend who owns a 997.2 gt3 RS. He drives it everywhere, anytime even to taco bell. People always ask him why..he's respond is always "it's just a car" ..more people should be more like him...

So yeah ..enjoy it! Don't worry about the value too much.

Definitely! I'm gonna drive the hell out of this thing once the weather gets better. Can't wait to have it back in California later this year.

And even if it does depreciate, he'll have been driving a Cayman GT4 all that time, so he can't complain too loudly.

Haha, exactly.

Here's my car adventure for the weekend.

Dude, that looks ridiculously clean. Nice job!

You are going to love that truck. My dad had one for 12 years and I drove it all the time. Everyone in my family beat the shit out of it, especially through Chicago winters, and it never gave us any issues. It was built like a tank. The only reason he got rid of it a few months back is because my brother and I agreed to buy him a new BMW X5.

Evo X

GAF, I bought a car.

So it's not the most practical thing in the world, but it does have a (tiny) backseat. And it drives like a dream. Also, looks pretty damn awesome, IMO.

Fuuuck! Good shit bro. Nice color. ;)

Best AutoGAF weekend confirmed?

AlphaSnake

GAF, I bought a car.

So it's not the most practical thing in the world, but it does have a (tiny) backseat. And it drives like a dream. Also, looks pretty damn awesome, IMO.

Wow. These past 2 weeks has been a riot for new car GAF.

British invasion continues!

Maybe as an average. Me on the other hand, I think the car gods have forsaken me. Yesterday my maxima became undrivable. Today I found out I have nails in two of my tires on my s13, and of course the newer tire got the nail through the sidewall. I had to swap on my other set of wheels, all of which have bald tires, one has cords showing. So I have one barely functioning car. Send help.

GHG

Gold Member
Meanwhile I'm selling my car to raise funds for my new business...

I'll be back
and I'll buy all your cars

Well that's the idea at least...

matmanx1

Nice. You can even tow stuff. Too bad you don't have snow or hills.

Actually I am in northwest GA and we have A LOT of hills. Snow, not so much. But I have a gravel/dirt driveway and the rural roads near my house like to flood when it rains so the GX will get plenty of use.

Cool, you definitely won't regret getting the Miata especially if you've got another car to drive in crappy weather. It's actually something I'm finding hard to come to terms with, like I can get a FoST or a different car, but I'd probably have to sell my Miata if I do that simply because it's going to be a little expensive for a young dude to afford lol.

Anyway, those Lexus GX's are freakin' awesome. Back when I used to valet cars, they were one of my faves since they're so comfortable to be in.

Yeah, it was probably the most comfortable 8 hours I have ever spent in a vehicle. I honestly could have kept on driving and would have been fine.

Congrats! They are great trucks, man.

What part of Orlando FL were you in? Curious if it was anywhere near me. I'm just west of Orlando.

Also, I've found that traveling on the day-of a holiday is actually EXTREMELY awesome. I flew from NYC to Orlando on Christmas day...and JFK was absolutely empty. It was awesome. Everyone's at home or at church. Also the tickets are also very cheap on the actual day-of, as well.

We went to his credit union which was in downtown Orlando to have the bill of sale notarized but then drove up to Winter Park to drop him off at the Easter Egg hunt in the park. Jeff actually lives in Maitland, but I did not go there. Winter Park was really, really nice.

GAF, I bought a car.

Oooooh! I love those! Seriously. The Evora is near the top of my list of "most desirable sports cars". Is it new? Either way, congrats!

I'd say so.

It's crazy how AutoGAF has a number of high rollers.

I feel like a pleb right now lol.

True confession. My new to me GX470 cost me all of $9000 dollars. I used some from my car account and some from savings and paid cash, so we own it, which is a great feeling. Jeff sold it to me for the amount that Carmax offered him on trade-in + the amount he would have saved in tax on a more expensive car so I got a very good deal.

AlphaSnake

We went to his credit union which was in downtown Orlando to have the bill of sale notarized but then drove up to Winter Park to drop him off at the Easter Egg hunt in the park. Jeff actually lives in Maitland, but I did not go there. Winter Park was really, really nice.

Winter Park is very beautiful. Great neighborhood, incredible homes. A lot of well known folk live there.

TylerD

EvoX: You did it! Congrats, it is pure sex and I was on the original team white GT4 even though I made the red comment. Good to read you are going to enjoy it and not baby it.

Matman: That is a great looking truck. I bet you will have many many miles and many years of luxury utility work out of that thing.

Lucius: I still fondly remember you kicking our asses in Codemasters first F1 online. That is a stunning British muscle sedan you have there.

Congrats to everyone on new pickups, I'd like to follow suit with you all but I'm just burning cash on parts for my E46. I'm in over 2K so far this year. lol

Finally got the rest of the shock\strut accessories from Turner Motorsport. They sent me an extra upper front spring pad instead of 2 lower front spring pads so they had to correct it. I'll probably be working on that next weekend. It's going to ride so nice. Bavarian Soundworks was having a B stock sale and I picked up their Stage One kit for Harman Kardon 00-06 coupes for $397 shipped. I will be fixing the rear shelf rattle right when I do that and also install the BMW aux cable.

Lucius86

Banned
The Jaguar InControl Touch Pro needs more work.

In the 4 days I've had the car, I've had the home screen not appear once on startup (though I could still access via the buttons at the bottom the respective functions like SatNav), Bluetooth contact syncing issues, Bluetooth contact pictures disappear all of a sudden, some music album sorting issues (that could be my fault admittedly, need to investigate my MP3s...) and my fiancé complained the music outright stopped playing on her way into work yesterday.

I've found out I can update the Maps myself but I'm hoping Jaguar allows owners to manually update the firmware when these bugs are ironed out. Because after only 100 miles on the clock the amount of issues I've had is worrying. I will call my dealer tomorrow.

Shame, the rest of the car is amazeballs and with these fixes in place the system would be perfect.

AlphaSnake

In the 4 days I've had the car, I've had the home screen not appear once on startup (though I could still access via the buttons at the bottom the respective functions like SatNav), Bluetooth contact syncing issues, Bluetooth contact pictures disappear all of a sudden, some music album sorting issues (that could be my fault admittedly, need to investigate my MP3s...) and my fiancé complained the music outright stopped playing on her way into work yesterday.

I've found out I can update the Maps myself but I'm hoping Jaguar allows owners to manually update the firmware when these bugs are ironed out. Because after only 100 miles on the clock the amount of issues I've had is worrying. I will call my dealer tomorrow.

Shame, the rest of the car is amazeballs and with these fixes in place the system would be perfect.

Damn. That sucks. No problem with my standard unit, fortunately. Issues like this sort of explain the reason why it took so long for the Touch Pro cars to come out. My dealer hasn't seen a single XF come in with them. Take it to the dealer and see if during PDI they missed some sort of software upload.

Evo X

We're an elite team of driving criminals the government sometimes tasks with Ludacris international car related missions.

Fixed.

Also, you're supposed to keep that on the down low brah. Our new job is starting soon.

EvoX: You did it! Congrats, it is pure sex and I was on the original team white GT4 even though I made the red comment. Good to read you are going to enjoy it and not baby it.

Thanks buddy. Team white FTW!

Damn, that sucks. The Brits were never known for their electronic expertise. Their best sports cars are still being built in sheds out in the countryside. lol

Don't worry though. Since it's a new car under warranty, the dealer will take care of you.

Lucius86

Banned
Damn. That sucks. No problem with my standard unit, fortunately. Issues like this sort of explain the reason why it took so long for the Touch Pro cars to come out. My dealer hasn't seen a single XF come in with them. Take it to the dealer and see if during PDI they missed some sort of software upload.

Yeah, my XF was my dealer's first with the system. I have the software version number so will give a call tomorrow and see what they say - I'd expect they will contact Jag directly and get an update on future revisions as and when the become available. Thankfully this is only affecting the centre 10.2 screen and not my electronic dashboard.

The music outright stopping mid-play alongside the lack of a home screen on launch worry me the most - you shouldn't expect these issues from such a class of car. The Bluetooth syncing could well be an Android issue - I know how finicky these things can be with car systems from previous experience - in the end I had to use an additional app to get my phonebook to sync in the first place.

Not me my car got broken into for the second time in a year. I don't even have anything worth stealing (didn't stop them from taking a cheapo pair of glasses and making it harder for me to read street signs).

Buut the wife's reaction was "we should get a new car"

:)

Evo X

Not me my car got broken into for the second time in a year. I don't even have anything worth stealing (didn't stop them from taking a cheapo pair of glasses and making it harder for me to read street signs).

Buut the wife's reaction was "we should get a new car"

:)

Sound like she's a keeper!

AlphaSnake

Yeah, my XF was my dealer's first with the system. I have the software version number so will give a call tomorrow and see what they say - I'd expect they will contact Jag directly and get an update on future revisions as and when the become available. Thankfully this is only affecting the centre 10.2 screen and not my electronic dashboard.

The music outright stopping mid-play alongside the lack of a home screen on launch worry me the most - you shouldn't expect these issues from such a class of car. The Bluetooth syncing could well be an Android issue - I know how finicky these things can be with car systems from previous experience - in the end I had to use an additional app to get my phonebook to sync in the first place.

If the audio dropping out is bluetooth audio that could be an Android issue, as well. Personally, I'm still a hardware-hardwire guy. I have my iPods plugged into the USBs of both cars, audio quality is significantly better as BT can't handle bitrates above 128. Try going that route, imo.

The bluetooth drop out I've had happen on every car I own and owned, from my dad's 2015 A6 Supercharged, to my 2012 A6 Supercharged, to my Infiniti, 370Z, and even on my brother's 2013 BMW M6. It's why I don't even bother with it on the Jags.

kharma45

Yeah could well be an android issue. Never was a problem for me in Windows phone but after moving to android it'll happen from time to time in car or using headphones.

Doesn't happen that frequently but it'll go through periods where there'll be sound, then no sound and repeat that sequence for a minute or two.

Evo X

Yo, we keeping this train rolling people!

My brother just texted me that he finished the paperwork for his new daily.

Black on black 2016 Mercedes S550 Coupe. Straight sex on wheels.

jamsy

Lordy lord!

Enjoy!!

Great pickups Evo and Lucius.

*drool*

Gorgeous! Evora or Evora S?

Yeah I want more info on that Evora. I have an irrational love for all things Lotus. Details, details!

Thanks, guys.

I've wanted one of these things ever since I saw one. In my opinion, this is probably the best looking car out there, just on looks alone (everyone thinks this is a $100k+ car). And you pretty much never see one of these things.

Details on the car: It's a 2013 naturally-aspirated Evora (not an S) with a manual transmission, and all the options. Honestly, this thing is plenty fast for me, and you don't really buy Lotus for the horsepower. Only has 3k miles on it, and I got it for over $30k less than what it was going for new not too long ago. Allegedly it was owned by some rich old guy who only had it for like 6 months. It's practically new; no blemishes, or issues or anything (knock on wood), and 3k miles on a Toyota powertrain isn't exactly much.

I've only had it a couple of days, but so far it's been pretty damn awesome. It drives really well, and for a sports car, the suspension is really soft when you need it to be. Like, no joke, the suspension on this when going over bumps and things is equal to my 2007 Acura TL which is a family sedan. It's really impressive. The steering is absolutely top notch, as well and I love how nice and small the steering wheel is. I also love how it has a backseat, although to be frank, it's not meant for humans. It's pretty much extra storage space for the most part, but I like the idea of being able to pick up more than one person in an emergency.

As far as negatives - shifting is a little clunky. Also, the view out back is absolutely abysmal - the engine cover is pretty much the only thing you see behind you. Thank goodness for the backup camera; I honestly have no idea how you would park this thing without one. And....it sticks out like a sore thumb. You get attention in this thing very easily, and it's not always a good thing.

Just got back from the NYIAS, some pretty stale stuff this year. A LOT of these cars are all starting to look the same and its kinda depressing. I did find some oldies hiding out around, only managed to snag some shots of the M1. Volvo had an absolutely beautiful P1800 but it was up on a platform you couldn't get close to...why even bother bringing it?

m1 said:

Anyone know if there are any concourse type events in the NY/NJ area? I can never find a good classic car show that doesn't have 90% american muscle cars. I need more old european and japanese rides in my life.

AlphaSnake

Thanks, guys.
And....it sticks out like a sore thumb. You get attention in this thing very easily, and it's not always a good thing.

Yep. Welcome to the exotic club. Drove an F-Type again today and the looks you get...it's nice but sometimes a bit too much attention. Always some idiot trying to race you or someone jealous screwing their face at you.

Think I finally found the perfect Miata. Hope it's still available when I go tomorrow after work.

Hope my GF is down to drive me an hour away lolol

Evo X

JAoXrZu.jpg

What kind of experience do you have with your loud cars? Are you the guy the whole neighborhood glares at as you drive around?

I have a pretty cool neighbor. He doesn't say anything, but I know deep down he's hated living next to me and my cars all these years. lol

Sometimes, I've had people yell at me to slow down, even though I'm going below the speed limit just because the car is loud and looks fast.

FStop7

Banned
I have an RPI GT exhaust on my M6 and it's loud as fuck. It's brutal on cold starts, the V10 makes a hell of a racket there's nothing I can do about it. I only drive it once every couple of weeks and I only start it at reasonable hours, but maybe a couple of times a year I have to start it up before 8AM or after midnight. And I live in an apartment complex - my garage directly faces peoples' balconies. The one neighbor directly across says he loves it but every time I start it up I cringe.

Practically every car I've ever owned has been modified to some degree, the M6 is probably the least modified yet easily the loudest. Before that I had an E90 M3 with no cats and I swear it was quieter than the M6 even with its primary cats still in place.

That said, a pair of Sharkwerks muffler deletes (I assume they make them for the GT4) would probably sound amazing on your car.

Browny

Banned
I had a HKS de-cat on my Evo 6, neighbours didn't have a problem. The real test was when I had to get up at 4am on a Boxing day morning, to go to London to pick up friends flying in from their honeymoon. Not sure why, but everything sounds 10 times louder at that time in the morning. Especially when you're begging the idle to drop quickly... "shhhh car, shhhh..."

All my cars are quiet and my neighbors still hate me. Maybe its because my cars are old and beat up, usually broken, and I'm constantly working on them.

Lucius86

Banned
If the audio dropping out is bluetooth audio that could be an Android issue, as well. Personally, I'm still a hardware-hardwire guy. I have my iPods plugged into the USBs of both cars, audio quality is significantly better as BT can't handle bitrates above 128. Try going that route, imo.

The bluetooth drop out I've had happen on every car I own and owned, from my dad's 2015 A6 Supercharged, to my 2012 A6 Supercharged, to my Infiniti, 370Z, and even on my brother's 2013 BMW M6. It's why I don't even bother with it on the Jags.

I transferred the music from a USB stick to the SSD hard drive though - I did try Bluetooth audio streaming out of curiosity but the audio quality is pants as you say - no AptX capability alas.

Malvolio

Gorgeous Vette. Love that color with those black rims. The one on the trailer is drool worthy as well. Never been a Vette man myself, but my god Chevy is changing that. Pure sex with the numbers to back it up.

Think I finally found the perfect Miata. Hope it's still available when I go tomorrow after work.

Hope my GF is down to drive me an hour away lolol

Nice to see Miata-GAF will be growing lol.

And if she doesn't mind driving you an hour away to pick up a car... might wanna put a ring on it after hahaha.

JAoXrZu.jpg

What kind of experience do you have with your loud cars? Are you the guy the whole neighborhood glares at as you drive around?

My Miata is loud... only inside the cabin lol.

It's actually not too loud outside of the car. Like if you're right next to it, you'll definitely hear it, but if you're about 10 yards away, it just sounds like your average car. No clue if the neighbors hate me though.

That said, it is loud as shit though once I'm above 4k rpms. I get glares on the street, especially when I'm shifting and it makes somewhat of a gunshot sound. And I say somewhat because it's mostly a loud pop/burble lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I had a HKS de-cat on my Evo 6, neighbours didn't have a problem. The real test was when I had to get up at 4am on a Boxing day morning, to go to London to pick up friends flying in from their honeymoon. Not sure why, but everything sounds 10 times louder at that time in the morning. Especially when you're begging the idle to drop quickly... "shhhh car, shhhh..."

real answer, the cool air refracts sound waves back towards the ground. sound travels further at night or early morning

Top Bottom