• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hey guys and girls,

So a couple of you may remember my post a couple of months ago about a website I started called GTR-Registry.com which detailed all of the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR data (VIN/Production/Model code/options etc).

Anyway I have now made public ALL of the data for R32 and R33 GTRs!

I won't write everything here but if you're more interested start by reading

This thread
Or go here
GTR-Registry.com

Also I've added a full registry so people can submit photos and info about their car and it links right back to the main VIN table.

I've also put a whole bunch of info and pics about R34 GTR race cars up so if you have any interest at all, or want to learn something new you can also go visit the Registry section located at

GTR-Registry.com/forum

And if you really want you can see some photos of my car here

BNR34-402325 My Pearl White M-Spec from Perth #147

This project has literally been a few hundred hours of work and a fair bit of my own money.

Cheers

Love how how it says 'the racecar'.

What kind of experience do you have with your loud cars? Are you the guy the whole neighborhood glares at as you drive around?

Loud bikes, and yeah they do. Though I try to minimalize the damage by shutting the bikes off at the beginning of the street and coasting the rest when it's past 10.30 pm or so. Also, I lobby with my two nextdoor neighbors (older ladies) by doing some techsupport type stuff for them. So I think everyone's alright with it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have a 49cc Honda Ruckus. It maxed out at about 39mph.

I made some mods - new variator, belt, filter, stretched, lowered, stripped. But I didn't want to change the exhaust because I didn't want to be obnoxious.

After one week, I had almost been hit by oblivious drivers once per day.

So now I have a quite loud Yoshimura pipe. And nobody has hit, or nearly hit me since.

I never used to believe that excuse. Now I do.

Now it goes 55.

Hey guys and girls,

So a couple of you may remember my post a couple of months ago about a website I started called GTR-Registry.com which detailed all of the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR data (VIN/Production/Model code/options etc).

This thread
Or go here
GTR-Registry.com

Also I've added a full registry so people can submit photos and info about their car and it links right back to the main VIN table.

I've also put a whole bunch of info and pics about R34 GTR race cars up so if you have any interest at all, or want to learn something new you can also go visit the Registry section located at

GTR-Registry.com/forum

This project has literally been a few hundred hours of work and a fair bit of my own money.

Cheers

Great googly moogly.

Love how how it says 'the racecar'.

Loud bikes, and yeah they do. Though I try to minimalize the damage by shutting the bikes off at the beginning of the street and coasting the rest when it's past 10.30 pm or so. Also, I lobby with my two nextdoor neighbors (older ladies) by doing some techsupport type stuff for them. So I think everyone's alright with it.

I used to have a little Ninja 250 with F1 pipes and man that sounded mean at start-up. But at the time my apartment garage faced the bedrooms of my neighbors, so I got into the habit of pushing the bike around the corner before startup at 7am. Can't quite do that in a car.

I am thinking about getting an Abarth, I guess I like small, loud things!

Anion

Wow there are some really beautiful cars poping up in this thread lol. Summer tis cometh

Maybe we should have everyone start posting pics of their cars or something since I wonder what else is being driven by Gafers

matmanx1

Yo, we keeping this train rolling people!

My brother just texted me that he finished the paperwork for his new daily.

Black on black 2016 Mercedes S550 Coupe. Straight sex on wheels.

Niiiice. Those things exude class, don't they?

Thanks, guys.

I've wanted one of these things ever since I saw one. In my opinion, this is probably the best looking car out there, just on looks alone (everyone thinks this is a $100k+ car). And you pretty much never see one of these things.

Details on the car: It's a 2013 naturally-aspirated Evora (not an S) with a manual transmission, and all the options. Honestly, this thing is plenty fast for me, and you don't really buy Lotus for the horsepower. Only has 3k miles on it, and I got it for over $30k less than what it was going for new not too long ago. Allegedly it was owned by some rich old guy who only had it for like 6 months. It's practically new; no blemishes, or issues or anything (knock on wood), and 3k miles on a Toyota powertrain isn't exactly much.

I've only had it a couple of days, but so far it's been pretty damn awesome. It drives really well, and for a sports car, the suspension is really soft when you need it to be. Like, no joke, the suspension on this when going over bumps and things is equal to my 2007 Acura TL which is a family sedan. It's really impressive. The steering is absolutely top notch, as well and I love how nice and small the steering wheel is. I also love how it has a backseat, although to be frank, it's not meant for humans. It's pretty much extra storage space for the most part, but I like the idea of being able to pick up more than one person in an emergency.

As far as negatives - shifting is a little clunky. Also, the view out back is absolutely abysmal - the engine cover is pretty much the only thing you see behind you. Thank goodness for the backup camera; I honestly have no idea how you would park this thing without one. And....it sticks out like a sore thumb. You get attention in this thing very easily, and it's not always a good thing.

Yeah I love the way the Evora looks in person. The first time I saw one I thought it was a small McLaren. I had to catch up to it to notice the Lotus badge and from then on I have been infatuated with them. Everyone says great things about the way they drive and handle. I hope to be able to experience one myself, someday.

Think I finally found the perfect Miata. Hope it's still available when I go tomorrow after work.

Hope my GF is down to drive me an hour away lolol

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Got her around 5 months ago, still have to stop by the garage everyday just to stare at it. Does this sickness ever end?

imagejpeg_1fosck.jpg

dsc01372cjzxk.jpg

It doesn't, not really. Goreous Vette though, and I'm not even a fan normally.

Hey guys and girls,

This thread
Or go here
GTR-Registry.com

GTR-Registry.com/forum

Cheers

Excellent work Duracelllll! Seriously. This is amazing.

Wow there are some really beautiful cars poping up in this thread lol. Summer tis cometh

Maybe we should have everyone start posting pics of their cars or something since I wonder what else is being driven by Gafers

Yeah, we should. We have a great community here with a lot of great cars and trucks represented. And it certainly doesn't have to be all high dollar sports cars either. The more variety the better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have an RPI GT exhaust on my M6 and it's loud as fuck. It's brutal on cold starts, the V10 makes a hell of a racket there's nothing I can do about it. I only drive it once every couple of weeks and I only start it at reasonable hours, but maybe a couple of times a year I have to start it up before 8AM or after midnight. And I live in an apartment complex - my garage directly faces peoples' balconies. The one neighbor directly across says he loves it but every time I start it up I cringe.

Practically every car I've ever owned has been modified to some degree, the M6 is probably the least modified yet easily the loudest. Before that I had an E90 M3 with no cats and I swear it was quieter than the M6 even with its primary cats still in place.

That said, a pair of Sharkwerks muffler deletes (I assume they make them for the GT4) would probably sound amazing on your car.

My buddy and I removed the mufflers off his E60 M5 (90lbs weight savings btw!!) and just welded straight pipes. The resonators, cats, etc were all kept in place. So just the rear two boxes were taken out...and it sounded straight fucking sex. The most intoxicating sound I've ever heard in my life. Moreso than my brother's Hurracan.

It was a little loud at start up, but once it warmed up it was perfectly fine. And in the cabin it was absolutely non intrusive, no drone or vibrations. Still could have a normal toned convo. I miss that car. He's trying to hunt down a 6MT M6 V10 right now (preferably convertible).

Flo_Evans

hmmm I was looking to get a nice pressure gauge (recommendations?) and noticed my valve caps say "N2" on them, I take it to mean the previous owner had the tires filled with nitrogen, seems like a not bad idea except where the fuck can I get someone to fill them with more nitrogen if I need it?

Viperbah

JAoXrZu.jpg

What kind of experience do you have with your loud cars? Are you the guy the whole neighborhood glares at as you drive around?

I have a pretty cool neighbor. He doesn't say anything, but I know deep down he's hated living next to me and my cars all these years. lol

Sometimes, I've had people yell at me to slow down, even though I'm going below the speed limit just because the car is loud and looks fast.

I had a H/C ls1 Firebird a few years ago...shook the entire house when I started it. Neighbors never really said anything, but I never started it early am or too late at night.

In my experience, If your respectful about it no one really cares ...I never start the Z06 in track or sport mode....just switch it on when I get out of the neighborhood.

Evo X

I have an RPI GT exhaust on my M6 and it's loud as fuck. It's brutal on cold starts, the V10 makes a hell of a racket there's nothing I can do about it. I only drive it once every couple of weeks and I only start it at reasonable hours, but maybe a couple of times a year I have to start it up before 8AM or after midnight. And I live in an apartment complex - my garage directly faces peoples' balconies. The one neighbor directly across says he loves it but every time I start it up I cringe.

Practically every car I've ever owned has been modified to some degree, the M6 is probably the least modified yet easily the loudest. Before that I had an E90 M3 with no cats and I swear it was quieter than the M6 even with its primary cats still in place.

That said, a pair of Sharkwerks muffler deletes (I assume they make them for the GT4) would probably sound amazing on your car.

That generation of M5 and M6 have incredible motors. V10s are my favorite.

On the Sharkwersks mufflers, I think it's too soon to start modding the car, but we'll see how I feel when I'm back in SoCal. Maybe I'll pay them or GMG a visit. :D

I had a HKS de-cat on my Evo 6, neighbours didn't have a problem. The real test was when I had to get up at 4am on a Boxing day morning, to go to London to pick up friends flying in from their honeymoon. Not sure why, but everything sounds 10 times louder at that time in the morning. Especially when you're begging the idle to drop quickly... "shhhh car, shhhh..."

I had an HKS Carbon de-cat on my Evo 9. More than the noise, what bothered me was the smell. Never going de-cat again.

Got her around 5 months ago, still have to stop by the garage everyday just to stare at it. Does this sickness ever end?

Badass ride bro. And the sickness NEVER ends. If anything, it gets worse! lol

Hey guys and girls,

Cheers

Nice job!

There is a guy on Rennlist who did something very similar for the GT4. I have no idea how, so I just assumed he is a wizard.

I'm sure there are some low key ballers here driving Ferraris, Lambos, and McLarens.

Niiiice. Those things exude class, don't they?

Yeah, they offer amazing class and luxury for the money. This one had a sticker of $140K. They next step up would be like a $220K Bentley, but that is far behind in terms of tech, or a $300K Rolls Wraith, which costs over twice as much.

DarkestHour

Banned
As somebody planning to pick up a Focus ST in a few months... do you mind sharing your overall thoughts with it?

Coming from an NC Miata, I know that extra power is gonna get me trouble already, but I'm curious about the entire car. To me it seems like a Mazdaspeed 3 version 3, and having a lot of seat time in my brothers MS3, I love it... except for the understeer and torque steer haha.

Hey! I apologize for taking so long to reply to you.

You will be happy to find the ST has awesome oversteer and is amazingly fun in doing so. You point the car and it just goes. Hell, the back kicks out somehow. I hardly noticed the torque steer and I even had the thing pushing 400+ at the wheels.

I do miss the car as it was amazingly fun to drive and whip around. The Mustang is awesome as a cruiser but I can't see myself ever driving it like the ST. It is very comforting though to not have to worry about LSPI and I can pretty much just cruise around in 3rd gear everywhere.

JAoXrZu.jpg

I have a pretty cool neighbor. He doesn't say anything, but I know deep down he's hated living next to me and my cars all these years. lol

Sometimes, I've had people yell at me to slow down, even though I'm going below the speed limit just because the car is loud and looks fast.

Pretty much every morning this winter cold starting my STI. That boxer rumble paid up with a 80mm Grimspeed downpipe, and a Greddy EVO 3 exhaust (80mm to quad 102mm tips). Love the sound, but I still wince whenever I'm turning the key over...

DarkestHour

Banned

I've never been a fan of loud cars. It's neat at first but then gets super annoying driving around.

Give me a good exhaust tone over loudness any day.

I'm thrilled that my newly purchase Mustang is super quiet in the morning(I leave at 5:30am), but am disappointed that it's so quiet too! In a perfect world, every car would have active exhaust systems.

Laws00

I'm driving my car (2016 pearl white Honda Civic ex) from getting gas and was at light when I notice this lady gets out of her car and ask me what year the car was before giving me a thumbs up and complimenting it lol

I didn't think this car would get so many compliments.

It's amazing to me that when I was looking at cars that at first I over looked Hondas because of past prejudgments (fast and furious movies).

I've never been a fan of loud cars. It's neat at first but then gets super annoying driving around.

Give me a good exhaust tone over loudness any day.

I'm thrilled that my newly purchase Mustang is super quiet in the morning(I leave at 5:30am), but am disappointed that it's so quiet too! In a perfect world, every car would have active exhaust systems.

Active exhaust is kinda annoying..it's like it won't make up its mind. Quite or dayam loud.

Evo X

Felt like the car was missing something.... so I installed the clear LED side markers from the European spec car.

Ok, NOW it's perfect. lol

That single orange piece was ruining the whole look. Crazy how much of a difference a small thing can make.

hTKJouP.jpg

puTyXlq.jpg

Felt like the car was missing something.... so I installed the clear LED side markers from the European spec car.

That single orange piece was ruining the whole look. Crazy how much of a difference a small thing can make.

hTKJouP.jpg

puTyXlq.jpg

Looks so much better, goes much better with the white.

AlphaSnake

Active exhaust is kinda annoying..it's like it won't make up its mind. Quite or dayam loud.

What do you mean? Active exhaust toggled with a switch or button. Not sure why that would be annoying. Most cars with the feature aren't really that loud, to be honest. I love having the option of turning it on and off.

TTTR

Are you allowed to change them in the US?
I always thought it was illegal to get the clear ones.

Looks way better of course!

Evo X

Are you allowed to change them in the US?
I always thought it was illegal to get the clear ones.

Looks way better of course!

No idea on the legality aspect, but I seriously doubt a cop would waste his time pulling someone over for the color of their reflectors, especially on a car this nice.

Not saying it's fair, but they tend to overlook a lot on high end cars. Never had police give me a ticket for no front plate or exhaust noise on the Cayman GTS, whereas I've gotten both on my Evos, even though the GTS was louder and far more attention getting.

Evo X

Gorgeous Evo... one thing though, that nice of a car deserves better than a cell phone camera! :p

Lol, I know! But the weather has been shit in Chicago so I haven't been able to plan anything. Once it gets better, I'm gonna get the car XPEL wrapped, detailed, and try to head to a nice location with a pro camera.

Evo X

Yikes!

A mechanic at Porsche Amesterdam dropped a new GT3RS into the canal.

nrPYFID.jpg

1035930d1459341109-991-gt3-rs-in-the-water-image.jpeg

This was him after he woke up in the hospital.

5C6NIOV.jpg

LOL, j/k. No one got hurt and it seems like only bodywork was damaged instead of mechanical. Still sucks though, especially for the customer whose car that was.

Flo_Evans

Yikes! At least it wasn't the 911 R? Or is the RS more rare? Is the only real difference PDK/manual? Jesus I just looked at porsches website and they have 20 different 911 models now.

I'll just keep telling myself thats why I went with a BRZ, if a mechanic drives it in a lake no biggie! Just give me another one lol.

Yikes!

A mechanic at Porsche Amesterdam dropped a new GT3RS into the canal.

nrPYFID.jpg

LOL, j/k. No one got hurt and it seems like only bodywork was damaged instead of mechanical. Still sucks though, especially for the customer whose car that was.

Haha, I write copy for them sometimes (Porsche Centre Amsterdam). Have to ask them about this.

AlphaSnake

So funny story about my Jaguar:

I noticed the AC doesn't function properly when it's set to anything above 60F. The air cycles between cold and lukewarm-ish every few minutes. So I took it to the dealer and the tech drove with me and noticed it too. My close friend (the service manager) told me he got a call from a customer with the same issue as we were out on the test drive. I get an identical loaner XF (this one has the vision package, which I don't like btw -- the headlight housings just look...cheaper, as if there are halogens in there when they're not lit).

The loaner XF has AC that is perfectly functioning. So this is definitely an issue that's isolated to my car and the other guy's car. The freon is fine, the AC compressor is good too...but the temp sensors, while working, aren't displaying the correct numbers when scanned. They're out of spec when compared to a few other XFs they have on the lot. Same for the other guy.

These temp sensors are usually calibrated during the first inspection back in England before the car is shipped out to the US. It was probably a surly chap named Basil who worked on both these cars and overlooked this little process while working with a hangover.

Anyway, this loaner/rental XF gave me a great opportunity to NOT have to wait to break in my car. Let me tell you guys, this car boogies. You can clearly tell the difference between the 340HP and 380HP cars way up top in the RPMs, but low/mid-end they are identical. Amazing pull. And also, despite being open-differential, both wheels lock-up thanks to torque-vectoring by braking (this is the same tech used in the McLaren P1).

I'll provide a full review soon.

I love the Jaguar App. I could tell every time the car was being worked on. It would tell me when the door was open, the hood was open, how many miles it had been test driven, etc. More cars should come with this for the sole purpose of keeping an eye out on service depts that have shady practices. Thankfully my Jag dealer isn't one of them, but it was fun messing with my friends.

what you guys think about tesla?

I was kinda interested on the Model S......but to me it looks soo booring. The tech is there but it looks like a ford fusion. It doesn't have a character and just borrow the looks of jaguar, aston and ford fusion...

The hype of the model 3 is kinda weird.....people actually inning up to pre-order one....that is some apple-like magic sauce....

Evo X

I was kinda interested on the Model S......but to me it looks soo booring. The tech is there but it looks like a ford fusion. It doesn't have a character and just borrow the looks of jaguar, aston and ford fusion...

The hype of the model 3 is kinda weird.....people actually inning up to pre-order one....that is some apple-like magic sauce....

Cool company, great daily driver cars, but the Model S looks generic as hell. The tech inside is good, autonomous driving actually works, it is crazy fast, and it handles better than you'd think due to all the mass being centered down low. It depends on your needs. Have you driven one yet? California offers great rebates and tax incentives on them for leases.

matmanx1

I noticed the AC doesn't function properly when it's set to anything above 60F. The air cycles between cold and lukewarm-ish every few minutes. So I took it to the dealer and the tech drove with me and noticed it too. My close friend (the service manager) told me he got a call from a customer with the same issue as we were out on the test drive. I get an identical loaner XF (this one has the vision package, which I don't like btw -- the headlight housings just look...cheaper, as if there are halogens in there when they're not lit).

The loaner XF has AC that is perfectly functioning. So this is definitely an issue that's isolated to my car and the other guy's car. The freon is fine, the AC compressor is good too...but the temp sensors, while working, aren't displaying the correct numbers when scanned. They're out of spec when compared to a few other XFs they have on the lot. Same for the other guy.

These temp sensors are usually calibrated during the first inspection back in England before the car is shipped out to the US. It was probably a surly chap named Basil who worked on both these cars and overlooked this little process while working with a hangover.

Anyway, this loaner/rental XF gave me a great opportunity to NOT have to wait to break in my car. Let me tell you guys, this car boogies. You can clearly tell the difference between the 340HP and 380HP cars way up top in the RPMs, but low/mid-end they are identical. Amazing pull. And also, despite being open-differential, both wheels lock-up thanks to torque-vectoring by braking (this is the same tech used in the McLaren P1).

I love the Jaguar App. I could tell every time the car was being worked on. It would tell me when the door was open, the hood was open, how many miles it had been test driven, etc. More cars should come with this for the sole purpose of keeping an eye out on service depts that have shady practices. Thankfully my Jag dealer isn't one of them, but it was fun messing with my friends.

That app sounds amazing. Every car should have one of those.

rokkerkory

great idea, crappy quality

Cool company, great daily driver cars, but the Model S looks generic as hell. The tech inside is good, autonomous driving actually works, it is crazy fast, and it handles better than you'd think due to all the mass being centered down low. It depends on your needs. Have you driven one yet? California offers great rebates and tax incentives on them for leases.

Nope, never driven one. They are everywhere in the the bay area. The ludacris mode got me interested.. then its was a big NOPE, just cant get over how generic looking it is. I can't deny its the future though...

great idea, crappy quality

Really? quality is crappy?

people makes it seem like they are the best thing since sliced bread.....

Lucius86

Banned

The Jaguar app is awesome, but I don't have a sim card yet so it only updates when I'm back at home and its had enough time to connect to my WiFi with the car running.

I beeped the car when my cat was near it from my living room overlooking the drive. I got a small startled jump. Small things please.

ameratsu

Nope, never driven one. They are everywhere in the the bay area. The ludacris mode got me interested.. then its was a big NOPE, just cant get over how generic looking it is. I can't deny its the future though...

Is that where you push a button and your car starts playing move bitch get out da way?

grendelrt

That Like/Dislike ratio tho.

I'll give it a shot due to Chris Harris and Sabine, but I don't have high hopes.

Prob 100% due to it not being the original cast. I don't understand people, its not BBC's fault that Clarkson assaulted a crew member, they really had no choice. If they can maintain a quality show and the Amazon show is good old fashioned Top Gear I see it as win win.

Top Bottom