• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

what you guys think about tesla?

I was kinda interested on the Model S......but to me it looks soo booring. The tech is there but it looks like a ford fusion. It doesn't have a character and just borrow the looks of jaguar, aston and ford fusion...

The hype of the model 3 is kinda weird.....people actually inning up to pre-order one....that is some apple-like magic sauce....

I have a coworker who has one. I think it's a nice looking car. Not exciting, but generally aesthetically pleasing. It's not as nice as a gasoline powered car that you could get for the same money, but it's nice enough inside, and has some cool tech. The acceleration is pretty spectacular. Low running costs and the supercharger network are a nice bonus. I wouldn't get a pure electric car though. I'd prefer a Chevy Volt or something like it.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Yeah hope it's good.

I ain't a baller like you..so I'll wait for yours and other people option.

People at the Tesla model 3 thread is slamming me cause I think tesla looks generic/boring and they are making fun on my lovely honda fit =(

Balloon White Gallardo = baller.

The Model S looked fantastic back in 2011/2012. Right now, there are lots of cars with design elements that appear to have been inspired by the Tesla. The copycats make the original seem less special than it once was.

A P85D on 21" Turbines still looks hot to me.

Evo X

Brother just picked up his car and texted me pics. Check em out. Keep some kleenex handy. lol

HRASwTD.jpg

QWxBKZv.jpg

eBu5XbD.jpg

cEYNMl2.jpg

Prob 100% due to it not being the original cast. I don't
understand people, its not BBC's fault that Clarkson assaulted a crew member, they really had no choice. If they can maintain a quality show and the Amazon show is good old fashioned Top Gear I see it as win win.

I agree. I want it to be good and will give it a fair chance, but the production woes don't fill me with a lot of confidence. We'll see.

People at the Tesla model 3 thread is slamming me cause I think tesla looks generic/boring and they are making fun on my lovely honda fit =(

lmao. I totally didn't realize it was you who made the Honda Fit comment.

I wonder how the people in that thread would react if they found out you also drive a Lambo.

The Model S looked fantastic back in 2011/2012. Right now, there are lots of cars with design elements that appear to have been inspired by the Tesla. The copycats make the original seem less special than it once was.

Balloon White lp640 = ballin out of control.

I can't imagine the attention you get with that thing. You probably see countless of people with their jaw dropped whenever they see you ..

Brother just picked up his car and texted me pics. Check em out. Keep some kleenex handy. lol

HRASwTD.jpg

QWxBKZv.jpg

eBu5XbD.jpg

cEYNMl2.jpg

I agree. I want it to be good and will give it a fair chance, but the production woes don't fill me with a lot of confidence. We'll see.

I wonder how the people in that thread would react if they found out you also drive a Lambo.

DAYAM...that is nice. Congrats to you brother(prefer your car though =P)

Yeah, other car threads are funny. One time I posted about a GT-R and someone was arguing with me that it was a V8.....

I wasn't even me trying to troll in the tesla thread =(

Ok time to defend my awesome honda fit!! troll mode initiated...

Why am I not surprised that GAF has a Tesla Defense Force?

Anyway, yeah in 2011/12, Model S' were fnckin' hot fire. But in 2016? It's as ubiquitous as a goddamn Corolla so I don't really give two shits about it anymore. I see a minimum of 5 around my workplace. Granted my office is located in one of those fancy business centers(Exxon's HQ is like 5 mins away from my office and the Dallas offices of Nokia, Google, Microsoft, basically a crapton of Fortune 500 companies lol) so it's not a shocker to see one almost every day, but that's still far too many for an "exclusive" car.

I don't hate the car though. I think it's a technological marvel but I wouldn't own one. You'd have to pry a gear knob out of my cold dead hands before you can ever place me inside a Tesla's driver seat haha.

If that's his R8 right next to it, and we get more pics, I might have to bust out the kleenex haha.

Evo X

Anion

YESSS Evo X's bro

Proper Merc right there. Good familial genes.

That is a true gentlemans vehicle. My father wants to trade up from his CLS to that, but the CL is one incredibly pricy car compared to what most would guess it to be.

burgerdog

http://i.imgur.com/HRASwTD.jpg[/]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QWxBKZv.jpg[/]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eBu5XbD.jpg[/m]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/cEYNMl2.jpg[/]

I wonder how the people in that thread would react if they found out you also drive a Lambo.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Evo X, post: 199811180"]If you get banned. We'll know what happened. lol

No need sir. The button is called a stereo. And it can play more than just Ludacris.

Yeah, that's his R8. Get ready to splooge.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7qpGjd6.jpg[/l]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/OkQzTaE.jpg[/l

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wFvToML.jpg[/l

[img]http://i.imgur.com/1sXGESg.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

Someone get me a bib! Ask him for pictures of the Benz' interior, mang.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm in the camp that thinks Tesla's were good looking for about a year or two, and now just look pretty generic. The Model X is downright ugly.

I'm kind of expecting the Model 3 to disappoint me, as well.

Makki

I'm in the camp that thinks Tesla's were good looking for about a year or two, and now just look pretty generic. The Model X is downright ugly.

I'm kind of expecting the Model 3 to disappoint me, as well.

They look like appliances to me, and they appeal mostly to non car enthusiasts anyway. They have clean minimalist outer shells and lights, and are coupled with with a gigantic tablet on the dashboard for the techies. It's the most "Apple" car ever.

Xdye7

God damn this thread has been delivering lately. Congrats to everyone!

On another note, I'm in Vegas right now and have been thinking about maybe hitting up one of those "racing experience" things. Dream racing and exotics racing seem to be the main ones after a quick look on google. Anybody here done one of these and have any comments, recommendations, or insights, etc about it?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just saw the reveal...meh.

Looks about as generic as expected. The interior is crazy barebones, looks like a 2nd gen Prius with a huge screen in the center. Also, the lack of a grille just looks so awkward.

And man is this crowd eating it up. Tesla fans in the audience sound like raging Apple and Nintendo fans.

Looks about as generic as expected. The interior is crazy barebones, looks like a 2nd gen Prius with a huge screen in the center. Also, the lack of a grille just looks so awkward.

And man is this crowd eating it up. Tesla fans in the audience sound like raging Apple and Nintendo fans.

That lack of a grill looks so awkward. I mean, it they weren't going to put one on the car, why would they design a front end that looks like it should have a grill.

Anion

It's good imo. But it does go to show your paying for tech over style and features. Dash was way too simple lmao

But the car's design does go to show how established automobile companies like BMW and Mercedes get design right, down to the curves and indentations and twists. The Model 3 does have the bare basics of good design, but it's missing those details. Maybe it's for the sake of aerodynamic design? Or not lol.

*Controversial statement*
Tesla's do remind me of the Buggatti Veyron at times. It's like they threw Play-Doh in a wind tunnel and got an oval. So they made the car an oval. For the tesla, they modified it enough to make it fit the type of car they were designing. Now people by Buggatti for status/luxury/mechanical tech. People by tesla for status/tech.

It looks like a Magikarp with it's mouth sewn shut...

For $35K I'd rather buy a Chevy Volt or the Nissan Leaf.

Dat 200 mile range though. And it's cheaper than the Leaf, no? Plus it should have some of the autonomous stuff.

Anyway, finally got my Miata!

Just over 100k miles at 100,010. 99 NB. $3700. Not too shabby for a project car.

I don't even want to post pics on this page though. That S class coupe and R8 *_*

SliChillax

HRASwTD.jpg

QWxBKZv.jpg

eBu5XbD.jpg

cEYNMl2.jpg

I demand interior pics :p that's where that car really shines.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Balloon White lp640 = ballin out of control.

I can't imagine the attention you get with that thing. You probably see countless of people with their jaw dropped whenever they see you ..

Everyone should give a big Lamborghini V12 flagship a try. It's completely over the top, from the looks, to the sound, to the super-long gears that will take you to 210+ if you stay on the power for a while. The shape of the cockpit and the extreme rake of the windshield remind you at all times that you're in the big bull.

As far as reaction is concerned, the shape of the car is so foreign - even a mid-engine Ferrari is somewhat familiar, thanks Chevy - that people can't help themselves. They stare, they point, they shout, they take lots and lots of pictures. I drove a red Rosso Mars Huracan LP-580 in traffic; while it definitely drew attention, I was surprised by how much more naked and visceral a reaction the Murcielago elicited from folks.

My non-enthusiast friends and acquaintances show much more interest in the LP than they did in the Scuderias (which I personally still love dearly). I think Lambo V12s represent excellent value if visual and aural shock and awe is your goal. The Aventador is the only thing for a reasonable price that will feel like an upgrade. Solely in this respect (drama), all other cars <$300k feel like a downgrade. 458, i8, 12C, etc.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Why am I not surprised that GAF has a Tesla Defense Force?

Anyway, yeah in 2011/12, Model S' were fnckin' hot fire. But in 2016? It's as ubiquitous as a goddamn Corolla so I don't really give two shits about it anymore. I see a minimum of 5 around my workplace. Granted my office is located in one of those fancy business centers(Exxon's HQ is like 5 mins away from my office and the Dallas offices of Nokia, Google, Microsoft, basically a crapton of Fortune 500 companies lol) so it's not a shocker to see one almost every day, but that's still far too many for an "exclusive" car.

I don't hate the car though. I think it's a technological marvel but I wouldn't own one. You'd have to pry a gear knob out of my cold dead hands before you can ever place me inside a Tesla's driver seat haha.

Yes, they're way too common around here. Though, really, it's the perfect car. Legitimately fast, exceptionally practical, fantastically equipped. It's super safe and obviously fuel efficient. It requires next to maintenance. Tesla offers the best service of any of the manufacturers by far. By faaaaar. If only they made a Model S coupe.

Malvolio

Tesla 3 looks nice to me and seems to know exactly what it is. It's like an electric Mazda 3. Interior needs work though, not a fan. Hope they sort that out in the next year or two as the wife has her eye on it. I hope it sells a ton and gives Tesla the courage to create a new model to win over the performance crowd. Would love to see a electric Miata clone.

matmanx1

Top Gear trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJddUQWRwk

Love that I get 2 car shows this year!

Haha, I actually laughed a couple of times during the TG trailer. It looks like it might be really fun.

Yeah, I agree. There's a doctor around here who has a grey Model S P85D with those wheels and it still looks mean and aggressive, even today.

HRASwTD.jpg

QWxBKZv.jpg

eBu5XbD.jpg

cEYNMl2.jpg

The S550 is really attractive but what's really drawing my eye is the car sitting next to it...

If you get banned. We'll know what happened. lol

No need sir. The button is called a stereo. And it can play more than just Ludacris.

Yeah, that's his R8. Get ready to splooge.

7qpGjd6.jpg

OkQzTaE.jpg

wFvToML.jpg

1sXGESg.jpg

Yup, that's what I'm talking about! Gated shifter, woooot!

Dat 200 mile range though. And it's cheaper than the Leaf, no? Plus it should have some of the autonomous stuff.

Anyway, finally got my Miata!

Just over 100k miles at 100,010. 99 NB. $3700. Not too shabby for a project car.

I don't even want to post pics on this page though. That S class coupe and R8 *_*

Do it anyway. Sounds like you got a good deal too. Have fun with the NB!

TylerD

Looks like EvoX and his brother are struggling. Feel sorry for you guys. Maybe one day you will be in the P1's, 918s and LaFerraris. :)

That S550 coupe is MMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmm

and the manual R8 V10 is pretty ok too!

mashoutposse

Ante Up

Wow...I'm not eating crow....

Yes, it's likely not going to convert anyone who wasn't already on the Tesla train, especially if you're already a customer of the big luxury makes.

However, owners of the Model S know that the general public is in love with these cars; it is the dream car of non-enthusiasts. TSLA already nailed it on the desirability front by making the 3 look practically identical to the S. My prediction is that, if the Model 3 does in fact launch with a $35k MSRP with a minimum of 200+ mile range, they will not be able to keep up with demand for at least 2 years.

Yes, it's likely not going to convert anyone who wasn't already on the Tesla train, especially if you're already a customer of the big luxury makes.

However, owners of the Model S know that the general public is in love with these cars; it is the dream car of non-enthusiasts. TSLA already nailed it on the desirability front by making the 3 look practically identical to the S. My prediction is that, if the Model 3 does in fact launch with a $35k MSRP with a minimum of 200+ mile range, they will not be able to keep up with demand for at least 2 years.

I actually think Tesla's are fantastic cars. I know it's the future.

Im just not crazy on the look. Which is very subjective.

I'm just like steering the pot at the Tesla thread...

I was once in a mall and they had a model s and a Porsche 918 Spyder on display.
There was a huge crowd checking out the Tesla and I was the only one oozing over the Porsche...

They know how marketing works. And they follow their vision. If i would want an EV here in Germany i would buy a Model 3. Their supercharger infrastucture is already pretty good here.

ameratsu

The Model 3 is definitely a good thing for the industry. Kind of like how the original Roadster spurred GM to eventually make the Volt, this is the sort of car I hope is successful so other automakers can get the push they need to keep moving towards something other than highly refined ICE platforms.

So early adopters can buy their Model 3s as beta testers, while everyone else will eventually benefit from cheaper and better EVs, the possibility of Tesla breaking the strangehold that Dealer networks have on new vehicle sales, and lower vehicle emissions. Just the prospect of never having to deal with a dealership ever again is amazing on its own.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms to make here (as some of us have already done in the Model 3 thread), but I'm glad people are lining up to buy something that is making an attempt at being very different than anything else in the class.

DarkestHour

Banned
Prob 100% due to it not being the original cast. I don't understand people, its not BBC's fault that Clarkson assaulted a crew member, they really had no choice. If they can maintain a quality show and the Amazon show is good old fashioned Top Gear I see it as win win.

I completely agree with you. The more car shows the better is how I feel! It's pretty awesome how many car shows there are on television nowadays.

ascii42

I'm viewing that interior as pretty much just a concept. Well, at least, I'm assuming the final version will have vents, for example.

ascii42

This would be the ultimate. Personally, I like the non-grille on the 3; very unique and potential signature style element (not even possible for most ICE cars?).

Generally, yeah, though rear and mid engined cars are obvious exceptions. And some random peculiarities like the first gen Oldsmobile Aurora, which still needs some sort of intake.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Generally, yeah, though rear and mid engined cars are obvious exceptions. And some random peculiarities like the first gen Oldsmobile Aurora, which still needs some sort of intake.

Right.

I think we'll quickly get used to the design. The execution on the Model 3 has a sculpted, precision look to it. I've always liked Tesla's penchant for fully embracing the EV-ness of their cars.

matmanx1

I actually like everything about the exterior BUT that front end. It just looks blank. I'm sure I'll get used to it but right now I feel like it needs at least a small horizontal line, similar to the Model X.

To me, it looks like one of those unfinished clay models, lacking in fine detail. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited about the Model 3 as a potentially "mainstream" electric car.

Okay now that the R8s and S classes are on the last page, here's the NB I picked up. The wheels have to go, and a good set of coils is needed. Otherwise, it's a dream to drive.

Gt5kRn1.jpg

Top Bottom