• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Feel the BERN AutoGAF.

ZmdFOM8.jpg

FStop7

Banned
Some weird stuff going on with Chris Harris' Patreon.

In January he sent an announcement he was closing his Patreon because would be able to keep producing car videos without donations. He also said that he had new videos already in the can and that he would be releasing them very soon.

In February I was charged my monthly fee by Patreon even though he said he was closing it. Patreon refunded the charge and Chris Harris himself sent an apology to everyone that it was a mistake and that he would be releasing those videos real soon.

Today I was charged AGAIN, then refunded by Patreon, and again everyone received an apology email (from Patreon this time, no word from Harris himself.)

Those videos are still not released.

So, basically, he's withholding videos that were funded months ago by his Patreon subscribers and people are being charged fees even though his Patreon is closed.

Not very impressive.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Right.

I think we'll quickly get used to the design. The execution on the Model 3 has a sculpted, precision look to it. I've always liked Tesla's penchant for fully embracing the EV-ness of their cars.

I feel like it would look better without the edges defining where the "grille" would be if it had one.

Nafai1123

Banned
I feel like it would look better without the edges defining where the "grille" would be if it had one.

I agree, I feel like that line below the headlights should extend all the way across and it shouldn't indent back into the body like it does. It definitely gives the appearance that a grill SHOULD be there and it's not.

SliChillax

Do African spec Jaguars have heating? I found a great deal on an Angolian sold F Type and I'd like to know if they have heating.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Do African spec Jaguars have heating? I found a great deal on an Angolian sold F Type and I'd like to know if they have heating.

Climate controlled heat? I am 99.9999 yes they do. It would make no sense for Jaguar to build different kinds of HVAC units per market.

Evo X

I really don't like driving my Porsche in the rain, but what can you do?

Car is filthy now, and I haven't even gotten the XPEL wrap installed.

What worried me more was the lack of traction as these Michelin Cup 2 tires were definitely NOT designed to function in cold/wet conditions. Had to baby it home.

anyone here ever use Harrys Lap Timer?

i know a lot of people use it but it seems like the app doesn't have any reviews on the app store for some reason.

I rather like the Model 3. I didn't preorder, but it definitely is in a good spot to be my next car, barring any incident that would require I get a new car sooner than expected.

AlphaSnake

Fuck Chicago. I swear it was bright and sunny not 2 minutes before I snapped this.

n0AP4b2.jpg

Daily occurrence living in parts of Florida, bro. Beaming sunshine one minute. A dooming cloud and torrential rain the next. Back to beaming sun and watching it all evaporate and steam up.

Okay now that the R8s and S classes are on the last page, here's the NB I picked up. The wheels have to go, and a good set of coils is needed. Otherwise, it's a dream to drive.

Gt5kRn1.jpg

Nice!!

I actually kinda like the wheels lolol. Swap them out for some RPF1's!

Fuck Chicago. I swear it was bright and sunny not 2 minutes before I snapped this.

n0AP4b2.jpg

That's also a daily occurrence here in Texas. Last Wednesday was literally rain, sun, then torrential downpours within a few hours of each other. And now, it's cold as balls outside. I feel like Mother Nature just April fooled the entire damn state lol.

Rengoku

n0AP4b2.jpg

Pretty similar in Toronto, but its getting cold again, and forecast for snow next week! Ugh, been itching to take the summer ride out, but going to have to wait abit longer :(

AlphaSnake

Getting my car back tomorrow. They said the evaporator coil was freezing up on the AC for no obvious reason. Jaguar's engineers said to drain the freon completely out, let it sit overnight and then recharge it. Called me back today and said the car seems to be fine now. We'll see.

Definitely an odd little quirk.

ascii42

Sorry guys but the new Cadillac CT6 is giving me the weirdest boner.
I sat in one of those at the Atlanta Auto Show. Seems nice and comfortable. Big comfy sedans are right up my alley anyway. I'm not sure the touchpad makes sense to operate CUE, since the whole UI design idea was mimicking a tablet, not a laptop, but I guess it's a good option to have?

And look at all the buttons on the steering wheel. What's left to control?

The optional Bose Panaray sound system has 34 speakers. I feel like that's a Spinal Tap thing or something: "Does 34 speakers actually make a difference" "This one has 34 speakers"

The idea with the current interior is that the entire slit in the front is a vent.

I hope the final version has some sort of dash. Doesn't have to be big and could be all heads up. Just something.
I was wondering if that could be the case. Interesting.

matmanx1

Okay now that the R8s and S classes are on the last page, here's the NB I picked up. The wheels have to go, and a good set of coils is needed. Otherwise, it's a dream to drive.

Gt5kRn1.jpg

Yay! Have fun with it.

Feel the BERN AutoGAF.

ZmdFOM8.jpg

Hilarious.

Some weird stuff going on with Chris Harris' Patreon.

In January he sent an announcement he was closing his Patreon because would be able to keep producing car videos without donations. He also said that he had new videos already in the can and that he would be releasing them very soon.

In February I was charged my monthly fee by Patreon even though he said he was closing it. Patreon refunded the charge and Chris Harris himself sent an apology to everyone that it was a mistake and that he would be releasing those videos real soon.

Today I was charged AGAIN, then refunded by Patreon, and again everyone received an apology email (from Patreon this time, no word from Harris himself.)

Those videos are still not released.

So, basically, he's withholding videos that were funded months ago by his Patreon subscribers and people are being charged fees even though his Patreon is closed.

Not very impressive.

That is odd. Sounds like they are having some issues as Chris transitions to Top Gear or whatever else he is doing. Still, you would think two months would give them ample time to get it worked out.

Found my new desktop wallpaper. So who wants to see me wrap my car in this scheme? lol

Do it. Porsche's should be visible and lively. Colorful and loud looking is good on a sports car. And I'm only sort of kidding.

cube444

A buddy of mine and his friend have snagged the only two M4 GTS versions that will be coming to BMW Autohaus here in Toronto. He told me that it'll cost him $8,000 more for the "Frozen Dark Grey" one than the white one his friend will be getting. Said it cost him $150,000 CDN for his M4 GTS and is expecting it this July.

Evo X

A buddy of mine and his friend have snagged the only two M4 GTS versions that will be coming to BMW Autohaus here in Toronto. He told me that it'll cost him $8,000 more for the "Frozen Dark Grey" one than the white one his friend will be getting. Said it cost him $150,000 CDN for his M4 GTS and is expecting it this July.

Wow, your friends scored a great deal. Base price for M4 GTS in the States is $134K USD, and dealers will probably mark them up even more. Be sure to post pics here when they come in.

Evo X

I'll be the first to say that a $150K M4 is a ripoff of epic proportion.

Yeah, but it's 150K Canadian tho, which is like 35 bucks USD.

On a more serious note, fuck paying that for an M4, no matter if it's a limited edition. You can get proper pre-owned super cars for that much. Hell, my new GT4 didn't cost that much and is much more desirable. I'd also take an AMG GTS or 991 GT3 over the M4 in a heartbeat.

Who is that even FOR? Can't I get like an RS7 for that price?

Totally different cars. M4 GTS is a track day special in the vain of the old CSL models. RS7 is a fast luxobarge.

You can actually score a nicely specced RS7 for $125K btw. My brother was looking at them before deciding on the S-Class Coupe. It's fast as hell, but the interior and tech is a generation behind Mercedes.

No argument here. Only reason to buy it is for investment purposes as the car will surely increase in value over time.

I wouldn't be sure about that. I don't think it has the appeal and pedigree to command a premium much higher than it's MSRP.

If you want to invest your money, there are a million other places I would put it.

I don't like the M4 GTS, but it runs a 7:28 ring time.

Near GT3 in performance and price. Thats its purpose and likely who they were going after when developing the car; on a 3 series chassis.

Zoolader

These last few pages have been filled so many glorious new buys. I've grown tired of scouring my local craigslist ads for a project car and finally settled on one. Actually I kinda felt obligated to buy it after spinning out in the rain into oncoming traffic and scaring the piss out of the owner. It's an e30 325e with a m50 swap and a few other things, including koi orange plastidip that can't come off soon enough.

26103847182_dd63d02edb_o.jpg

SliChillax

I wouldn't be sure about that. I don't think it has the appeal and pedigree to command a premium much higher than it's MSRP.

If you want to invest your money, there are a million other places I would put it.
It's a limited production car which is currently sold out, of course it's going to go up in value.

To any V8 F type owners or people who have driven the car, what's your opinion about the driving dynamics. How does the car handle in normal roads, are they too rough or floaty? How reliable are they? Any specific things I should know?

cube444

Wow, your friends scored a great deal. Base price for M4 GTS in the States is $134K USD, and dealers will probably mark them up even more. Be sure to post pics here when they come in.

Will do man. These guys are huge Bimmer nuts and my buddy owns and runs a shop. I agree that $150,000 is a lot for a M4 GTS but they're getting it for the long run and they also want their shop to stand out because of it. He currently owns a done up e92 M3 that he tracks and he's working on an e46 M3 that they're in the process of adding a supercharger to.

I took some pics of both that I'll post tomorrow.

DarkestHour

Banned
These last few pages have been filled so many glorious new buys. I've grown tired of scouring my local craigslist ads for a project car and finally settled on one. Actually I kinda felt obligated to buy it after spinning out in the rain into oncoming traffic and scaring the piss out of the owner. It's an e30 325e with a m50 swap and a few other things, including koi orange plastidip that can't come off soon enough.

Awesome!! Love the way those things look.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Totally different cars. M4 GTS is a track day special in the vain of the old CSL models. RS7 is a fast luxobarge. .

Oh I know. I was just doing the features + engineering + perceived value comp. Not apples to apples. Seems like this is one of those situations where you buy a loaded 4 and an Ariel Atom and still save money...

I know you hate it but I actually dig the flat orange.

Evo X

Motor Trend tore the M4 apart in their new Head2Head with the Camaro SS.

Skip to the 12:40 mark to hear their thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87tO7VUs2I

It's a limited production car which is currently sold out, of course it's going to go up in value.

Meh, not hard to sell out when they are only making 700 for the entire world.

I don't think the car is special enough to see the value skyrocketing. It might increase in the short run as wealthy BMW enthusiasts want the hot new thing, then depreciate at a slower rate, but that's it. I predict similar curve to current Porsche GT cars, which for the record I also don't believe are all that special in the eyes of collectors.

Like I said before cars are not an investment(with a few exceptions).

It's very rare for a car to go "up in value".
Once you go up to a higher price range, you cannot sell cars as easily. The buyers who will pay cash will thin down. They are many example of so called rare cars to sit months without not getting sold. Dealing with tire kickers and having let people test drive a rare ain't a walk in the park. So most people deal with consignment and they take 10 percent of the value...

Collector who are looking for so called rare cars will also want a prime example low mile car. So yeah...

GHG

Gold Member
I'm in the mindset that you buy a car to drive and enjoy it, not as an investment and certainly not to let it sit there in the hope that it will some day increase in value.

For that reason any $150k m4 is terrible value. There are so many other cars, both new and used (especially used) that you could get for that money that would give you so much more. You can easily get a <5 year old supercar for that money that you would be able to sell on much easier than something most people will just see as a ridiculously priced m4.

Top Bottom