• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Anion

Ugh it snowed last night. Not like a lot and it's going to melt by 2-3 pm when it hits mod 40s. But I have summer tires on....

And I have to go to a meeting at noon...

Ughhhhhhhhh.
It's not covering the road, but idk what I should do. I could call a friend to pick me up I guess. Anyone in the same boat?

Ugh it snowed last night. Not like a lot and it's going to melt by 2-3 pm when it hits mod 40s. But I have summer tires on....

And I have to go to a meeting at noon...

Ughhhhhhhhh.
It's not covering the road, but idk what I should do. I could call a friend to pick me up I guess. Anyone in the same boat?

you have snow on the roads?

it snowed here but didn't stick to the roads.

Nah nothing on the roads. I might end up using my car since it will be much warmer when I come back home

dude so its sunny at my house all morning. i leave and travel a few towns over for some lunch and while in line i look out the window and its white out conditions snow. i start to panic and quickly start driving home. once i cross the bridge toward my town its back to sun and 5 degrees warmer outside.

good luck out there. LOL.

thankfully we should be back to the mid 50s mid week here in the northeast.

matmanx1

These last few pages have been filled so many glorious new buys. I've grown tired of scouring my local craigslist ads for a project car and finally settled on one. Actually I kinda felt obligated to buy it after spinning out in the rain into oncoming traffic and scaring the piss out of the owner. It's an e30 325e with a m50 swap and a few other things, including koi orange plastidip that can't come off soon enough.

26103847182_dd63d02edb_o.jpg

New project car? Sweet! Keep us posted on how it goes.

It's a limited production car which is currently sold out, of course it's going to go up in value.

To any V8 F type owners or people who have driven the car, what's your opinion about the driving dynamics. How does the car handle in normal roads, are they too rough or floaty? How reliable are they? Any specific things I should know?

Oh, do tell! Possible new F Type V8 in your future?

Anion

So it turns out I might visit the Lamborghini museum and factory in Sant'Agata Bolognese in Italy as well as the Ferrari museum in Modena and in Maranello (no Ferrari factory cause...you have to own one to visit :(
Can I own one of your Ferrari's GAF for one day ;)?
. I also would have scheduled a trip to the Pagani factory for a tour...but they are closed

BUT DAMN IM SO EXCITED

Cause in Maranello Ill be able to "Test drive" a ferrari...for 30 mins. Im so hyped.

Also, anyone have any experience in driving in Italy? My family is going to visit Paris first then fly to Venice, where we will hit Modena, Florence, Pisa, and then Rome.

dude so its sunny at my house all morning. i leave and travel a few towns over for some lunch and while in line i look out the window and its white out conditions snow. i start to panic and quickly start driving home. once i cross the bridge toward my town its back to sun and 5 degrees warmer outside.

good luck out there. LOL.

thankfully we should be back to the mid 50s mid week here in the northeast.

Yeah lmao. I hate this weather. Turns out I called my father and used his car. Ended up coming back home and it was 45*...smh lol.

matmanx1

These last few pages have been filled so many glorious new buys. I've grown tired of scouring my local craigslist ads for a project car and finally settled on one. Actually I kinda felt obligated to buy it after spinning out in the rain into oncoming traffic and scaring the piss out of the owner. It's an e30 325e with a m50 swap and a few other things, including koi orange plastidip that can't come off soon enough.

It's a limited production car which is currently sold out, of course it's going to go up in value.

To any V8 F type owners or people who have driven the car, what's your opinion about the driving dynamics. How does the car handle in normal roads, are they too rough or floaty? How reliable are they? Any specific things I should know?

Oh, do tell! Possible new F Type V8 in your future? Anyway, recent MT Head 2 Head involving the new F Type. They were fairly complimentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sj3PtlqDss

SliChillax

Oh, do tell! Possible new F Type V8 in your future? Anyway, recent MT Head 2 Head involving the new F Type. They were fairly complimentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sj3PtlqDss

That's such an unfair head to head, the Merc is almost 50 grand more expensive. I've gotten an amazing deal on a convertible F type V8 S, brand new. I will post pics of the car on Tuesday. Bad thing is that the garage only fits two cars and the Jag would be the third so I'd have to sell the M235i. Only drawback to the F type is that its made for Africa and cannot be sold in Europe for some reason thats why we got such a great deal. It cam be sold in Albania where I live it's no problem.

I'm in the mindset that you buy a car to drive and enjoy it, not as an investment and certainly not to let it sit there in the hope that it will some day increase in value.

For that reason any $150k m4 is terrible value. There are so many other cars, both new and used (especially used) that you could get for that money that would give you so much more. You can easily get a <5 year old supercar for that money that you would be able to sell on much easier than something most people will just see as a ridiculously priced m4.

This is pretty much what I think too. How much I could sell it for or if its value will increase is the last thing I think about. I buy a car because I like driving it. Which is why all my cars are old and worthless.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Having driven it many...many times (and once more on Thursday), the car's are firm, but not crashy over rough roads. They ride great. Handle great. And absolutely no floatiness to them, at all. Reliability with these motors has gotten to a point of bullet proof, and the 8-speed ZF transmission has clearly withstood the test of every other manufacturer out there.

I know some of the earlier F-Type V8S models had some HVAC issues, but those were cars built in 2013 and early 2014, I believe. Either way, whatever car you get now will still have a full warranty on it. Good luck.

matmanx1

That's such an unfair head to head, the Merc is almost 50 grand more expensive. I've gotten an amazing deal on a convertible F type V8 S, brand new. I will post pics of the car on Tuesday. Bad thing is that the garage only fits two cars and the Jag would be the third so I'd have to sell the M235i. Only drawback to the F type is that its made for Africa and cannot be sold in Europe for some reason thats why we got such a great deal. It cam be sold in Albania where I live it's no problem.

It is an unfair head to head but even so, the Jag does well. As a road car Jonny Lieberman said it was actually more exciting and more thrilling to drive than the Merc was. The V8 F Type just has a sense of drama that is hard to ignore and is a great quality in a sports car.

If you wanted a track weapon then there are probably better ways to spend your money but as an awesome road going GT car then I would be hard pressed to pick a better car than the F-Type R.

Shame on BMW, what a shame. They didn't just choose the Camaro, they loved it while they had every right reason not to like the M4.

The only thing I like better about the M4 is the appearance. I wish the Camaro was a little bit classier looking and a little bit less boy racer but that's just my personal preference. If I had the money I wouldn't think twice about buying the Camaro and saving 40 large over the M4. It would be a no brainer.

https://youtu.be/D87tO7VUs2I

2015 BMW M4 vs. 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head

Camaro was chosen.

Ooof.

And I thought I was crazy for ragging on the $45K M235i for having a shitty interior. Looks like the shittyness permeates through all of BMW's lineup.

That said, if money wasn't an issue, I might swing for the M4 coz it's basically a status symbol car and that's the only reason why somebody would buy one. But if logic wasn't out of the window, hell yeah I'd go for the Camaro instead.

EDIT: This comment on YouTube literally just brought my boss to my desk:
rip bmw. a corn fed simpletons car is as quick as your M series.&#65279;

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

My Miata threw the infamous P0402 code. Fuuuuu previous owner must have cleared it.

Ah well, time to take off the intake manifold and go after that EGR valve.

SliChillax

Ooof.

And I thought I was crazy for ragging on the $45K M235i for having a shitty interior. Looks like the shittyness permeates through all of BMW's lineup.

That said, if money wasn't an issue, I might swing for the M4 coz it's basically a status symbol car and that's the only reason why somebody would buy one. But if logic wasn't out of the window, hell yeah I'd go for the Camaro instead.

EDIT: This comment on YouTube literally just brought my boss to my desk:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

The M4 is great inside if you have the extended leather pack which in a car like that should be standard.

It is an unfair head to head but even so, the Jag does well. As a road car Jonny Lieberman said it was actually more exciting and more thrilling to drive than the Merc was. The V8 F Type just has a sense of drama that is hard to ignore and is a great quality in a sports car.

If you wanted a track weapon then there are probably better ways to spend your money but as an awesome road going GT car then I would be hard pressed to pick a better car than the F-Type R.

The only thing I like better about the M4 is the appearance. I wish the Camaro was a little bit classier looking and a little bit less boy racer but that's just my personal preference. If I had the money I wouldn't think twice about buying the Camaro and saving 40 large over the M4. It would be a no brainer.

We have no tracks in Albania so the F type will simply be a weekend cruiser. I'm waiting for the final confirmation emails if we managed to snag the car since there were also two other people who were interested in buying it.

Having driven it many...many times (and once more on Thursday), the car's are firm, but not crashy over rough roads. They ride great. Handle great. And absolutely no floatiness to them, at all. Reliability with these motors has gotten to a point of bullet proof, and the 8-speed ZF transmission has clearly withstood the test of every other manufacturer out there.

I know some of the earlier F-Type V8S models had some HVAC issues, but those were cars built in 2013 and early 2014, I believe. Either way, whatever car you get now will still have a full warranty on it. Good luck.
This is the model before they put the new infotainment system but it has never been registered and it's brand new. We're talking about 60,000 euros for a brand new F type V8 S. How was fuel consumption? If you drive it normally I mean.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
https://youtu.be/D87tO7VUs2I

2015 BMW M4 vs. 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head

Camaro was chosen.

I question the legitimacy of this review.

A completely base zero-option 2016 M4 Coupe ($66k) comes with a nice set of features out of the box, including Comfort Access (which they claim in the video is omitted from their test car). For example, navigation, premium audio, heated seats, CF roof, and CF interior trim are all standard on the base car.

For $75k, you can build an M4 with a massive feature set - HUD w/ speed limit detection, adaptive LED headlights, cameras galore (side, top, and rear), adjustable suspension, heated steering wheel, leather, etc. Basically, a $75k M4 comes with everything they complained was missing from the test car.

There is no way to configure an M4 with the stated missing features for $81k. The car as tested likely has an MSRP of $75k max (carbon ceramic brakes). A 2016 M4 requires the Competition Package to get the CC brakes, which is likely where their number comes from - the car as tested does not have the Competition Package, so this is misleading.

In the video, the closeups of the cluster show them testing the car on the road in Efficient. The car is very different in Sport+, with nearly no turbo lag and noticeably better performance. An M4 with everything in Sport+ (engine, suspension, steering) is a significantly sharper and more exciting drive. Even the sound is improved.

I'd caution anyone using that review to make an actual buying decision to instead:

-play with the online car configurators
-head over to your local BMW and Chevy dealers and test drive both cars

FStop7

Banned
"A corn fed simpleton's car", etc

But it's always been like that. The 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies were faster than the M3s of the time, too.

And I don't know anyone (save for YouTube trolls) who would ever refer to the F-Body (or the current Camaro) as a "corn fed simpleton's car", anyway.

Wait, someone knows someone who paid $150k for an M4 GTS? This bubble's gonna pop real soon.

Browny

Banned

This looks amazing... and I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you kept that colour too! But older BMWs look great in most colours, plus those wheels are a great match too. Look forward to seeing where you go with it!

Evo X

First 718 Boxster reviews are coming out today. The car itself is objectively improved in every metric(speed, efficiency, handling, interior, tech), but subjectively moving from N/A six to turbo 4 has killed the soul a bit. No one seems happy with the sound either.

Basically, if you have never experienced a Boxster before, you'd be thrilled driving this new one, but those who've experienced a 981, it's going to be a bit of a let down in some respects. Even happier with my purchase now.

Autocar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kon9hlFts94

Auto Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vU7CncEUlg

Top Gear

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/718-boxster-s-2016/first-drive

ApharmdX

Banned
"A corn fed simpleton's car", etc

But it's always been like that. The 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies were faster than the M3s of the time, too.

And I don't know anyone (save for YouTube trolls) who would ever refer to the F-Body (or the current Camaro) as a "corn fed simpleton's car", anyway.

Wait, someone knows someone who paid $150k for an M4 GTS? This bubble's gonna pop real soon.

There are some stereotypes about Chevy Camaro and Corvette owners. It's all in fun anyway.

Futureman

Anyone here ever lease a car and scrap the bottom front bumper?

You need to get down on the ground to see it, but I definitely have scrapped the bottom up a good bit.

I was pretty worried about this, but I just found a BMW forum where someone asked the same question and multiple people on there seem to say it shouldn't be an issue. Some have turned leases in like that and didn't get charged. I would think if anyone would be strict about their leases, BMW certainly would be (I have a Dodge Dart).

I do have some visible scratches on the back bumper that I will need to get fixed (got quoted at $800). I would be pretty happy though if I didn't have to worry about this front bumper.

First 718 Boxster reviews are coming out today. The car itself is objectively improved in every metric(speed, efficiency, handling, interior, tech), but subjectively moving from N/A six to turbo 4 has killed the soul a bit. No one seems happy with the sound either.

Basically, if you have never experienced a Boxster before, you'd be thrilled driving this new one, but those who've experienced a 981, it's going to be a bit of a let down in some respects. Even happier with my purchase now.

Heh, same here :p

EVO said the same, engine lacks character but everything else is as expected

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster-s/17587/porsche-718-boxster-s-review-still-the-best

Fairly damning considering the badge that car is carrying.

Flo_Evans

Anyone here ever lease a car and scrap the bottom front bumper?

You need to get down on the ground to see it, but I definitely have scrapped the bottom up a good bit.

I was pretty worried about this, but I just found a BMW forum where someone asked the same question and multiple people on there seem to say it shouldn't be an issue. Some have turned leases in like that and didn't get charged. I would think if anyone would be strict about their leases, BMW certainly would be (I have a Dodge Dart).

I do have some visible scratches on the back bumper that I will need to get fixed (got quoted at $800). I would be pretty happy though if I didn't have to worry about this front bumper.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I ripped the front lip completely off my Saab lease and replaced it, I was real nervous they would charge me but they just did a quick walk around for major damage.

Really depends on the dealer though, but I would at least attempt to return it and see if they say anything, then go from there.

SliChillax

Hilarious.

A Nurburgring instructor in an M3 with 3 passengers keeps up with properly driven GT4 and Aventador SV while having a casual conversation.

Just goes to show how important driver skill is in the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMSmIMRvGM

It's not about just being a good driver. The ring is very long and it's hard to memorize the perfect racing line or all the braking points and most people there are visitors. They might be great drivers but they dont know the track that well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Speaking of M3....

I'm going to go look at a fully loaded 2013 M3 Coupe with Competition Package in Melbourne Red. If the car is as nice in person as it is in pictures, and we can work the numbers...I may actually buy this car this weekend. We'll see.

So our family is getting bigger and we have to give up our crossover and probably get a minivan, which is fine by me.

I went by to see a Honda Odyssey today since it frequently tops best-of lists. Man, the interior looks like it's from 15 years ago. I know blah blah family vehicle, but that's no reason not to make the dash and "infotainment" system more modern. I was honestly shocked by how dated it looks.

Maybe I'm underestimating how on top of things Mazda is, but the current interior of the Mazda 3 and CX 5 are at least a decade ahead of the Odyssey's.

Anyway, just LiveJournaling my impressions. Otherwise, it drove much better than I expected and turned pretty tightly. Great safety features too.

Any recommendations on people movers?

Mazda is a step ahead with interiors. Is the cx9 not big enough or do you really need the cargo capacity of a van?
It's a combination of things that add up. We like the aisle you can walk through to get to the back (is that captain style seating?), plus the sliding doors for parking in tight spaces and safely removing children. And there's just more leg room all around the child seating. In an Odyssey, you can stand in front of the kid as you buckle them in. I think to match the space of a minivan you'd have to go up to a Yukon, Escalade, etc. The cargo space, as you mentioned, helps as well when it comes to strollers and stuff.

I just looked up the Kia Sedona online and it looks a little better, and more modern (Android Auto coming soon?). I'm gonna try to check it out in person.

Anion

Hilarious.

A Nurburgring instructor in an M3 with 3 passengers keeps up with properly driven GT4 and Aventador SV while having a casual conversation.

Just goes to show how important driver skill is in the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMSmIMRvGM

That was actually really exciting. Damn I would love to drive there or at least sit

So I looked through the list of cars I can drive in Maranello...and I can't decide. I think I would go with the 458 Spider over the Special since this is the first time Im driving such a fast car, so I don't mind for that extra boost in power (since I can't compare with the normal lol)

And a convertible Ferrari + Italian countryside is already heaven.
tn_IMG_0001h240.JPG
f458-spider-01-1024x648h240.jpg
img1192h240.JPG

Although its so tempting.......

Evo X

So I looked through the list of cars I can drive in Maranello...and I can't decide. I think I would go with the 458 Spider over the Special since this is the first time Im driving such a fast car, so I don't mind for that extra boost in power (since I can't compare with the normal lol)

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Take this as someone who has driven all 3 of the cars in your post, YOU WANT TO DRIVE THE SPECIALE. Trust me. It's not just a 458 with more power. It feels like an entirely different beast. Even if you don't make use of the extra horsepower, you'll notice it in the response, handling, noise, and feel. It might just be the finest sports car Ferrari has ever produced.

You can take out a Gallardo or 458 Spider whenever you want for free at any franchise dealership in the entire USA.

Whereas there is an almost nonexistent chance of you getting to drive a Speciale other than rare occasions such as this. I've only driven one, and that's because it was my friends and I told him he'd get to take out my GT4 when it arrived. They aren't readily available for test drives and unless you're rich as fuck and willing to pay the crazy inflated prices, you can't just go out and buy one.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeh the Speciale has so much demand at the moment that some Ferrari dealers are offering owners more than what they paid for it to buy them back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStXqJAfTTg

Basically what Evo said. You simply don't pass up the opportunity to drive a Speciale. The other cars you can drive elsewhere easily. I can go out now and rent the other 2 cars you have as options if I wanted to but I'd be lucky if I even found a Speciale for sale and still available in the whole of Dubai.

Anion

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Take this as someone who has driven all 3 of the cars in your post, YOU WANT TO DRIVE THE SPECIALE. Trust me. It's not just a 458 with more power. It feels like an entirely different beast. Even if you don't make use of the extra horsepower, you'll notice it in the response, handling, noise, and feel. It might just be the finest sports car Ferrari has ever produced.

You can take out a Gallardo or 458 Spider whenever you want for free at any franchise dealership in the entire USA.

Whereas there is an almost nonexistent chance of you getting to drive a Speciale other than rare occasions such as this. I've only driven one, and that's because it was my friends and I told him he'd get to take out my GT4 when it arrived. They aren't readily available for test drives and unless you're rich as fuck and willing to pay the crazy inflated prices, you can't just go out and buy one.

Yeh the Speciale has so much demand at the moment that some Ferrari dealers are offering owners more than what they paid for it to buy them back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStXqJAfTTg

Basically what Evo said. You simply don't pass up the opportunity to drive a Speciale. The other cars you can drive elsewhere easily. I can go out now and rent the other 2 cars you have as options if I wanted to but I'd be lucky if I even found a Speciale for sale and still available in the whole of Dubai.
Oh wow! I'm actually really glad I asked this now. I had no idea it was in such demand compared to the regular 458. I'll reserve this this week for my trip down in May. It's €40 more, but that seems like a small increase for the benefit. Thanks again guys!

Lol I'm so excited for this, my daily driver has ~200 hp and the most powerful car I drove for over 10 mins was my fathers cls550, so this is a special haha
Definitely the first Italian car I get to drive though

matmanx1

Autocar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kon9hlFts94

Auto Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vU7CncEUlg

Top Gear

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/718-boxster-s-2016/first-drive

Porsche keeps on making excellent cars, and these reviews confirm that. What is disappointing is the how much character the motor lost going from a flat 6 to a forced induction 4. Having owned a 987 Boxster I can confirm that there is nothing quite like the wail of that flat 6 motor at high rpm; it is a very unique soundtrack.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 718 sells a lot more units than the 987 and 981 series did. The 718 is objectively better in pretty much every metric for around the same money (well, the Cayman is now the cheaper car and the Boxster the more expensive, but still) and in places where fuel costs are high, the turbo 4 will be more attractive than the 6 ever was for some folks.

Flo_Evans

It's a combination of things that add up. We like the aisle you can walk through to get to the back (is that captain style seating?), plus the sliding doors for parking in tight spaces and safely removing children. And there's just more leg room all around the child seating. In an Odyssey, you can stand in front of the kid as you buckle them in. I think to match the space of a minivan you'd have to go up to a Yukon, Escalade, etc. The cargo space, as you mentioned, helps as well when it comes to strollers and stuff.

I just looked up the Kia Sedona online and it looks a little better, and more modern (Android Auto coming soon?). I'm gonna try to check it out in person.

They are really tough to beat for moving lots of people/stuff. I had to get a top cargo box and hitch hauler to add more cargo room for camping trips on my cx7. It's nearly impossible for a 3rd person to sit in the back with 2 car seats installed.

Thankfully we are almost done with strollers, but I am a little concerned about when they want to invite their friends somewhere...

That was actually really exciting. Damn I would love to drive there or at least sit

And a convertible Ferrari + Italian countryside is already heaven.
tn_IMG_0001h240.JPG
f458-spider-01-1024x648h240.jpg
img1192h240.JPG

Although its so tempting.......

I agree with the others, go for the speciale. Drove a regular 458, and it's probably the best car I've ever driven.

And I wouldn't worry too much about driving high hp cars. Just make sure when you punch it, that the road is actually flat. Super cars are actually less stressful to drive than a modded import.

SLV

Jeez, tomorrow i am cleaning up my car after the long winter, might make a few pics and share it's story. Although knowing the high rollers on GAF here mine is kinda cheap xD

Smokey

Hai guyz

Did u know its a pain in the ass to have a problem fixed on a Euro car?

I learned this today from some folks on gaf

So our family is getting bigger and we have to give up our crossover and probably get a minivan, which is fine by me.

I went by to see a Honda Odyssey today since it frequently tops best-of lists. Man, the interior looks like it's from 15 years ago. I know blah blah family vehicle, but that's no reason not to make the dash and "infotainment" system more modern. I was honestly shocked by how dated it looks.

Maybe I'm underestimating how on top of things Mazda is, but the current interior of the Mazda 3 and CX 5 are at least a decade ahead of the Odyssey's.

Anyway, just LiveJournaling my impressions. Otherwise, it drove much better than I expected and turned pretty tightly. Great safety features too.

Any recommendations on people movers?
I think your experience is more indicative of how shitty Honda's touchscreen system is. It just flat out sucks: it's less usable than plain ol' buttons, and it's ugly to boot.

Top Bottom