• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

If it's similar to the NC hardtop, I'd say it's about 50% quieter than the soft-top ND. But at highway speeds between a soft top and PRHT NC, it honestly doesn't feel like there's any difference... well either that or my buddy's tires are just fncking loud lol.

Also, keeping out road noise when necessary is a good thing as I spend a significant amount of time on busy freeways.

The road noise on a stock soft-top ND isn't actually that bad. It's not quiet like a luxury sedan but it's perfectly fine.

That said, I've gotten stuck in traffic with the top down and it's kinda cool actually. I usually hate getting sandwiched by 18-wheelers at 70mph, but on stop and go traffic? It's actually quite enjoyable haha.

FYI, I've been enjoying the shit out of my Miata. Funny thing is I went to my 14 Civic Si to drive to work (my daily), and the battery was dead. Go figure. So I just threw my stuff in the NB, top down, and went to work (35 miles in NorCal traffic). So glad I did. Weather is amazing right now. And it's just so fun to drive.

Yeah, one of my favorite things with my NC is when it surprises you out of nowhere. Where the shift was crisp, the revmatch was buttery smooth and you just nail that corner 100% while you're not even expecting it to happen, it's like some super strong coffee lol.

It's moments like these that are really preventing me from selling it for another car.

So remember that Nurburgring video I posted about the instructor in an M3 chasing a GT4 and Aventador SV?

Well, I just found that same race from the GT4's perspective. Much higher 1440P quality to boot. You can see he is running the suspension dampers in "Normal" mode, ESP systems on, and has the A/C on full blast just chilling with his shades on like he's out on a Sunday drive. Crazy that he can keep up with the Lambo with almost half the horsepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXllBrqJXw

Lol this is gonna be an odd complaint but his shifting style bothers the shit out of me. That Cayman isn't a goddamn Honda. Dude just bangs the shit out of the shifter into the gates and it makes me cringe.

Besides, from experience, shifts happen faster when you naturally let it happen instead of forcing it into the gates.

Evo X

Lol this is gonna be an odd complaint but his shifting style bothers the shit out of me. That Cayman isn't a goddamn Honda. Dude just bangs the shit out of the shifter into the gates and it makes me cringe.

Besides, from experience, shifts happen faster when you naturally let it happen instead of forcing it into the gates.

The shift throws in the GT4 are very short and direct. He also has the automatic synchro rev match turned on. So while, to an outsider, it may look like he's beating the shit out of it, he's really not.

Also, he is racing on the Nurburging, not on a grocery run. lol

You can tell he was a little frustrated by the Aventador in the corners. The Lambo was braking way too soon and not going that fast through the curves, but then rocketing away on the straights. Lambo driver's ego wouldn't allow him to let a Cayman pass I suppose.

Flo_Evans

I don't know what would be worse driving on the ring, trying to stay out of the way of faster cars or trying to go around slower cars.

Still, one of my bucket list tracks to drive on.

matmanx1

Test drove the 2013 M3 today again .. (snip)

BMW hurts my soul with stuff like this. They build such beautiful and fun to drive cars but then irritate you with mechanical design flaws that greatly reduce the amount of fun they are to actually own.

Sounds like a wise decision to pass on that one. I feel bad for the guy who does not look underneath the car before buying it though, because you know it's going to happen.

lol battery tenders

I know, right? Hilarious.

matmanx1

The shift throws in the GT4 are very short and direct. He also has the automatic synchro rev match turned on. So while, to an outsider, it may look like he's beating the shit out of it, he's really not.

Also, he is racing on the Nurburging, not on a grocery run. lol

You can tell he was a little frustrated by the Aventador in the corners. The Lambo was braking way too soon and not going that fast through the curves, but then rocketing away on the straights. Lambo driver's ego wouldn't allow him to let a Cayman pass I suppose.

It's easy for me to sit back and be an armchair quarterback but the Lambo's braking was all kinds of wrong. Too early, too much and often off of the best line for the corner. The guy in the GT4 was either more experienced with the track or more comfortable with his car or both. Either way, it looks like tons of fun and one heck of a workout.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
BMW hurts my soul with stuff like this. They build such beautiful and fun to drive cars but then irritate you with mechanical design flaws that greatly reduce the amount of fun they are to actually own.

Sounds like a wise decision to pass on that one. I feel bad for the guy who does not look underneath the car before buying it though, because you know it's going to happen.

Been in the back of my mind this whole time. Genuinely sucks for the person who ends up with this car.

Ahh. No wonder why it also reminded of my buddy slamming the piss out of his gear lever in his 370Z.

What's your take on the auto revmatch?

Also, I just tried slamming the shit out of my gear lever while driving to work... and it seems like it's a lot slower than just naturally shifting it. Idk, it could just be my cold tranny or due to the fact that I have to revmatch myself.

Mechanical design flaws?

Nah man, that's just German engineering.

J/k haha.

AlphaSnake

Mechanical design flaws?

Nah man, that's just German engineering.

J/k haha.

The sad shit is that the components they're using to seal these transmissions is aluminum. The reason it's sad is because aluminum cannot withstand heat like traditional steel can, and thus it expands. You have entry level engineers and car enthusiasts on BMW forums figuring out these kinds of issues that high-level guys at a major car maker can't. There are guys out there selling aftermarket steel studs and gaskets that they guarantee will NEVER leak like the pictures I posted earlier.

Like wtf BMW...your cars already have insane markups and margins at wholesale (average $7-9K profit for a standard BMW, $15K for an M-car - industry average is $3K). Why they will skimp out on $20 worth of material is absolutely inexcusable. This is what makes me distrust the brand so much.

Evo X

Ahh. No wonder why it also reminded of my buddy slamming the piss out of his gear lever in his 370Z.

What's your take on the auto revmatch?

It's WAY better than the first gen system in the 370Z. It's honestly flawless. Perfect downshifts every single time, even into first gear. It's like combining the best of PDK and manual into one. I leave it on almost all the time. The throttle is hyper sensitive, so when I do it myself, I usually rev too much for the intended gear.

AlphaSnake

It's WAY better than the first gen system in the 370Z. It's honestly flawless. Perfect downshifts every single time, even into first gear. It's like combining the best of PDK and manual into one. I leave it on almost all the time. The throttle is hyper sensitive, so when I do it myself, I usually rev too much for the intended gear.

It never once faltered in my 370Z, or most 370Zs - every single shift was always flawless. The technology was pretty much perfect from the get-go. The entire setup behind it is the ECU is programmed to blip a certain amount of RPM for every downshift. It has the gear ratios and their differentials determined and blips the throttle to the precise 1:1 match for every shift. It even works on upshifts preventing the RPMs from falling too low for those who shift too slow.

The technology behind it is actually extremely simple. The only time the system will falter is if you've screwed up the final drive in anyway (wrong sized tires or changed out the stock differential). Once you've thrown off the original program, the blips will occur, but they will be screwy especially if your final drive has become more aggressive.

Evo X

Well, I've only driven one 370Z in my life and it was modified, so that could be it.

Or maybe I am just remembering the actual shifter feel not being as good as the GT4.

matmanx1

The sad shit is that the components they're using to seal these transmissions is aluminum. The reason it's sad is because aluminum cannot withstand heat like traditional steel can, and thus it expands. You have entry level engineers and car enthusiasts on BMW forums figuring out these kinds of issues that high-level guys at a major car maker can't. There are guys out there selling aftermarket steel studs and gaskets that they guarantee will NEVER leak like the pictures I posted earlier.

Like wtf BMW...your cars already have insane markups and margins at wholesale (average $7-9K profit for a standard BMW, $15K for an M-car - industry average is $3K). Why they will skimp out on $20 worth of material is absolutely inexcusable. This is what makes me distrust the brand so much.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking every time I had to fix an oil leak on my 65k mile 128i. Like, you can't design a gasket that will hold up longer than that? Crazy.

AlphaSnake

Well, I've only driven one 370Z in my life and it was modified, so that could be it.

Or maybe I am just remembering the actual shifter feel not being as good as the GT4.

Well the shifter feel and rev-matching system are two entirely different things though.

1>2 shift in the Zs was crap, including 350Zs, but required a finesse trick to get right (don't kick the clutch down abruptly, don't shift too fast, and don't let off the clutch too hard either). Everything else was pretty smooth. But also a lot of cars varied as some came with a little more or less fluid than others. It was definitely a transmission that wasn't as refined as it should've been.

It never once faltered in my 370Z, or most 370Zs - every single shift was always flawless. The technology was pretty much perfect from the get-go. The entire setup behind it is the ECU is programmed to blip a certain amount of RPM for every downshift. It has the gear ratios and their differentials determined and blips the throttle to the precise 1:1 match for every shift. It even works on upshifts preventing the RPMs from falling too low for those who shift too slow.

The technology behind it is actually extremely simple. The only time the system will falter is if you've screwed up the final drive in anyway (wrong sized tires or changed out the stock differential). Once you've thrown off the original program, the blips will occur, but they will be screwy especially if your final drive has become more aggressive.

auto rev match was the greatest thing since slice bread. It was pretty awesome. When I tried it out on the 370z I couldnt stop downshifting. All manual should have this tech.

I wonder how the ecu will handle the "money shift" though....

Evo X

12961504_1137636939601506_5055767453926630427_n.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
So close to buying the F type today but someone else was a few hours quicker and put a deposit on the car. I'm hoping that they give it up so i can take it. Here's the car
http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/78466/UNDER_DEPOSIT.htm

Yo what is this website and why are these cars so cheap? What's the catch?

Shouldnt be gunning their cold engines like that off the damn parking lot anyway.

Exactly. It always makes me cringe when I see people reving the shit out of a car they have just got into first thing in the morning or after it's been sitting in the carpark all day while they're at work. Stop abusing your cars.

SliChillax

Yo what is this website and why are these cars so cheap? What's the catch?
The black and white one were supposed to be imported to Africa but the import was cancelled. Since they're African spec models they cannot be registered in EU countries for some reason but where I live in Albania, they can be registered. Importing and getting it registered is very expensive in some countries so that might explain the cheap price. Albania is close to the UK though and getting it registered is not that expensive. It would have been the perfect deal. The white coupe is also very cheap for but more expensive than the convertible and out of my budget.

AlphaSnake

auto rev match was the greatest thing since slice bread. It was pretty awesome. When I tried it out on the 370z I couldnt stop downshifting. All manual should have this tech.

I wonder how the ecu will handle the "money shift" though....

The 370Z wouldn't let you money shift. It locks you out of gears that are deemed too low or within 300RPM of redline. If you push through the lock (and this requires a lot of effort) I believe you may grind. Basically, you'd have to be a major moron to do it in the car. :p

From the Mazda USA CEO:

Our research and development department is 100 per cent focused on delivering SKYACTIV generation two and if we don’t have this we don’t have any other derivatives...

So everyone waiting for that type of vehicle (MPS) and to be honest we are very happy our customers expect that of Mazda. We are always not making a big loud noise, but we always keep that in mind and sometimes bring it out.

Mazda brand has become more mature, more upscale, more sophisticated and we have a new transition of the brand to relate that direction.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I'm obviously disappointed coz I've been waiting for a Mazdaspeed 3/6 for quite some time, but if this is true, this also makes my next car purchase easier.

Basically, if I can find a CPO FoST under $20K, I'll keep my Miata and get a FoST assuming insurance isn't gonna rape me out of the ass(I'll be 26 after all when I get it so I'm hoping that is the case). But if none of those options work out(especially insurance costs), I'll pick probably pick up a WRX then sell the yata.

Yeah, it's pretty sad tbh.

My brother who owns the 'speed3 was planning to sell it this year for a 3 series but the shitty interior, and unreliability kept him away(he's also got a kid coming and that's probably the biggest reason why he's not selling it anymore lol) from the idea. Now he's thinking 911, but only because he might be able to stick a car seat in it haha.

That sounds awesome, I wonder how long it's gonna take for that tech to trickle down to cheaper cars.

But funny enough, that's how I thought how PDK's/SMG's/DCT's worked initially. Like you still had to use a clutch pedal and move the lever to position and it'd automatically do it for you. But cue my confusion 4 years ago when I was a valet driver and had to drive an E46 with an SMG. I literally sat in the car for a couple of minutes trying to figure out how I was gonna put the car in park! Lol.

I ended up bringing the car back at the front and parking it out there since it was level ground hahaha.

GHG

Gold Member
The black and white one were supposed to be imported to Africa but the import was cancelled. Since they're African spec models they cannot be registered in EU countries for some reason but where I live in Albania, they can be registered. Importing and getting it registered is very expensive in some countries so that might explain the cheap price. Albania is close to the UK though and getting it registered is not that expensive. It would have been the perfect deal. The white coupe is also very cheap for but more expensive than the convertible and out of my budget.

Ah I see. Nice find man, would need to check but don't think it would be too much of an issue to get one of these cars imported and registered in Dubai. My Mrs is eyeing up the new F-Pace at the moment so we'll keep an eye on their stock in case they get some this year at some point.

Flo_Evans

From the Mazda USA CEO:

I'm obviously disappointed coz I've been waiting for a Mazdaspeed 3/6 for quite some time, but if this is true, this also makes my next car purchase easier.

Basically, if I can find a CPO FoST under $20K, I'll keep my Miata and get a FoST assuming insurance isn't gonna rape me out of the ass(I'll be 26 after all when I get it so I'm hoping that is the case). But if none of those options work out(especially insurance costs), I'll pick probably pick up a WRX then sell the yata.

My brother who owns the 'speed3 was planning to sell it this year for a 3 series but the shitty interior, and unreliability kept him away(he's also got a kid coming and that's probably the biggest reason why he's not selling it anymore lol) from the idea. Now he's thinking 911, but only because he might be able to stick a car seat in it haha.

That sounds awesome, I wonder how long it's gonna take for that tech to trickle down to cheaper cars.

But funny enough, that's how I thought how PDK's/SMG's/DCT's worked initially. Like you still had to use a clutch pedal and move the lever to position and it'd automatically do it for you. But cue my confusion 4 years ago when I was a valet driver and had to drive an E46 with an SMG. I literally sat in the car for a couple of minutes trying to figure out how I was gonna put the car in park! Lol.

I ended up bringing the car back at the front and parking it out there since it was level ground hahaha.

That's weird cause they are putting a turbo on the skyactive for the new cx9 (dropping the v6) how hard would it be to just slap it in the 3?

From my sober understanding, which wasn't last night lol... it seems like what he's saying is that they'd rather use that R&D time to get Skyactiv gen 2 done then bring out the bad boys after.

Basically, he wants the company to be profitable first then finally start release Mazdaspeed's, wankels, or whatever the fnck they want.

That said, yeah I don't understand why they can't do it anyway.

Rumors from a month or two ago said that the Mazdaspeed division in Cali has successfully dropped that turbo Skyactiv in another car besides the CX-9. So they've definitely got something done. I'm guessing they just scrapped the idea since it's too early in the process anyway.

SummitAve

Banned
Sadly if they do make it I doubt it would be a wankel for MPG reasons.

Not that it confirms anything, but I believe some patent applications surfaced recently for a new Mazda rotary, and it was still a Wankel design. Intake and exhaust ports were flipped around, and it also had a turbo.

FStop7

Banned
Not much to see but there was a Mercedes commercial being filmed next to my office. I don't think these cars are out yet in the states: C400 cabriolet, some kind of SL, and an SLC43 AMG.

PsG8Yqq.jpg
nPOlL0E.jpg

C8M177n.jpg
wAigdlQ.jpg

ApharmdX

Banned
From the Mazda USA CEO:

It's so depressing where Mazda is at now, with no Speed3/6 and no rotary sports car. I liked the Speed3 and loved the RX-8, and I wish they'd come out with something for me to waste my money on. The WRX is nice, and it offers a ton for the price, including no torque steer, but it's not as fun as a light, RWD sports car IMO.

Hesemonni

Banned
Not much to see but there was a Mercedes commercial being filmed next to my office. I don't think these cars are out yet in the states: C400 cabriolet, some kind of SL, and an SLC43 AMG.

PsG8Yqq.jpg
I really like how the new C-class looks like, but is really soulless and flat from the door backwards.

SliChillax

Ah I see. Nice find man, would need to check but don't think it would be too much of an issue to get one of these cars imported and registered in Dubai. My Mrs is eyeing up the new F-Pace at the moment so we'll keep an eye on their stock in case they get some this year at some point.

Yeah keep an eye out, just stay away from the F types :p

AlphaSnake

I really like how the new C-class looks like, but is really soulless and flat from the door backwards.

The convertible looks downright generic...like a Solara or Pontiac G6 Convertible.

At least the Pontiac had a hardtop. Merc is too cheap to include a hardtop for a $60K car? BMW 4-series is hardtop. So wtf.

It's so depressing where Mazda is at now, with no Speed3/6 and no rotary sports car. I liked the Speed3 and loved the RX-8, and I wish they'd come out with something for me to waste my money on. The WRX is nice, and it offers a ton for the price, including no torque steer, but it's not as fun as a light, RWD sports car IMO.

To be fair, Mazda isn't really in any position to drop sports cars left and right. AFAIK, they're barely profitable as it is. The Miata is essentially their halo car for the moment, so I actually understand why they made the RF irresistibly cool.

But yeah, it's a little depressing to see them in this position.

At least they're not Honda... besides the Civic Type-R and NSX, what are they really developing with that huge cash flow they've got?
Probably paying hush money so the world can shut up about the Takata airbags.

looks awful

like that new buick vert

Yep. I saw the post earlier at work and I almost spat out my coffee when I saw the rear. It's fncking ugly.

Flo_Evans

Ha I had totally forgotten about this but kind of cool

aJ0RttJ.jpg

So my buddy went to the local rally, had an ignition coil issue on his car and had the parts but no tools. He somehow managed to get the Subaru USA team mechanics to put them on for him in the service area lol.

J-Rzez

Well, this is going to be the third recall for my WRX (2015). Something, something, turbo inlet poor metal breaking and getting sucked in causing stall and potential accidents.

If the Focus RS turns out good (from every other outlet I don't listen to usually it's great), I guess I'll be going that route after all. If I can find one without a ridiculous 5-10k mark up... scummy dealers.

Top Bottom