• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Ok, decided to go for gloss XPEL Ultimate and Modesta coating for body and wheels. Will maintain the factory finish and provide the best protection money can buy.

We'll see about adding some flair later. Those full body liveries feel like overkill for what is primarily a street car, but I might think of some small touches here and there.

AutoGAF Opinion Time!

Getting my car some paint protection this week.

First decision is whether to go with a clear XPEL Ultimate film with a glossy finish.

OR

The new XPEL Stealth which gives the car a matte look.

Benefit of the glossy is that I have the option to only wrap the car partially in the likely rock chip/debris areas, such as entire front end, mirrors, scoops, side skirts and rear bumper. Estimate of this is ~$2,500.

If I go with Stealth, I will have to wrap the whole car as to not create discrepancy in the paint. Estimated cost $5,000.

Once that is taken car of, next step is choosing to leave the look stock or add a livery.

Two ideas I am throwing around.

GT3 RS 4.0 Scheme - 3.8 written on the side instead of 4.0. Not sure on the Porsche banner on the wing.

2011-porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-0-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

or classic Martini livery. This seems a bit more in your face, but the colors look nice on white.

tumblr_nyix2ciVvn1uyfmtko1_1280.jpg

Let me know what you think!

5k for a wrap and not even a color change..that's alot of money that can go towards mods or tires.

rokkerkory

Okay guys, here are some pics from tracking over weekend @ Buttonwillow near Bakersfield CA (kinda). Ran CW13 configuration, really fun and challenging track. Re-paved last year so track was smooth but rained the night before heavily so first few sessions were a bit scary lol.

12987166_10154839511812516_5604670223541154954_n.jpg

12973335_10154839511007516_8953878371598616873_o.jpg

12976903_10154839510742516_8256026480956511063_o.jpg

12998519_10154839510577516_750147805089050733_n.jpg

12957707_10154839511762516_3183600258555069751_o.jpg

12993621_10154839510732516_3994314038843131769_n.jpg

13010726_10154839510377516_7966904662898934161_n.jpg

13002490_10154839510597516_3132173672502061970_o.jpg

12976972_10154839512427516_556266404653837977_o.jpg

SliChillax

MotorTrend's review of the M2 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5z2cJ5aqk

Summary: Identical acceleration, braking, and skidpad to the M4. Actually faster on the track. More fun, more steering feel, and sounds better. Also significantly cheaper, but it is easy to spot all the cost cutting done in order to achieve that.

Anyone here getting one?
I am getting one next year. I want them to fix all the issues they have (if there are any) on the first year model then find a used 2017 model with around 5k miles.

DarkestHour

Banned
I'd be all over the M2 if I was a single man still. Have a Mazda 6 and Mustang GT PP for now.

Maybe when the kids move out in 17 years I'll treat myself to something nice. Worried though by then everything will be electric.

So, Lemons racing!

My friends back in Texas, team Mullet Motorsports, bought and built an '83 El Camino. They took out the 305 and put in a rebuilt and cammed 350 to give it some oomph, threw in a cage, gave it some beautiful bodywork, a long flowing mane of hair (weaves) on the tailgate and a suspension that was a little bit cheaty for Lemons (but it's an Elco, a new suspension was a necessity).

So, first day test and tune!

The fuel pump starts leaking fuel as we take it off the trailer, and a couple guys run in to town to get another one (fucking $25, this is insane to me in Porsche parts land), and while they do I go out for a couple of laps to beat it up a little bit and see if anything else breaks. Well the brakes break, not breaking badly but braking badly, locking up the front right brake first all the time so I knew it was breaking the brakes. So we bled the brakes and swapped the fuel pump. Tech inspection was that afternoon, and apparently the judges didn't like our brush-guard, I can't imagine why. Oh because it was totally illegal and we all knew it but it looked sweet. They also didn't like our roll cage because some of the bends were flat--they asked us to weld some gussets. No problem.

We get it back to the garage that night and...oil everywhere. Everywhere. The oil gasket had blown out completely. At 8pm. While we still had to do the cage.

6 hours later we had the engine back in the car with a brand new oil pan gasket, a beautifully welded cage, and 3 hours before we had to wake up.

Now get this shit. The car ran perfectly all day long the whole weekend. The only issue was a short in a loose brake wire that blew our main relay, but otherwise it ran lap after lap after lap without problem. And it ran it waaaay better than it deserved to, being a lowly '83 Elco. This is partly owed to the front sway bar being little less than an I-beam. Seriously it was something ridiculous like a full inch and a half bar. Nuts.

I, however, didn't get a chance to discover this until day two, because day one was an hour long stint for me in a constant downpour. With no windshield wipers (rain-x!) and a 300+ horse motor putting power down to the rear tires in an Elco with no posi. That I drove that car without crashing on the very slick track is a golden testament to my manhood. It was like dancing on ice with a bear, but god damnit one hour of 100% countersteer and throttle feathering the sun came out and the track dried up...for the next driver.

The next day was beautiful, cool, sunny, and everyone had a great time. Lots of track time for all, no black flags, no full course cautions (we had one for five minutes the first day because a deer wandered out on track) and we got to cross the checkered at our very first race.

Now because we were all such swell guys and a) didn't argue about rewelding the cage or b) spend all day spinning the elco like they figured we would have, they awarded us organizes' choice. Everyone was wonderful there, and to be the team that was the most wonderful in the eyes of the judges? Pretty good feeling.

We're gonna weld that fucking trophy to the bumper for the next race, too.

Unfortunately we forgot all about the gopro. Sue me we went into the race with 3 hours of sleep.

Check out the team's instagram above, https://www.instagram.com/mulletmotorsports/, and sorry I don't have many more pictures or videos. This is the best I got aside from a procession video which I'll upload later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMOL5f2hzs (filming not driving). All said and done, though, it was great, great fun and I totally suggest it if you have a few grand like you'd like to burn up to make a shitty race car go faster than slow.

Fun note: I was 3 seconds faster a lap than a 944. I was the fastest on the team, but everyone else were novices and for being novices did great. Nothing super fast but nice consistent laps in traffic, and with up to 40 cars on track, that's pretty great.

GHG

Gold Member
I've thought about it. Currently looking for a Challenger Scat Pack to purchase around $35-40K. I would never buy a BMW - too many horror stories on maintenance and costly repairs; but I'd lease one. Wonder if it'll even be possible to lease one for ~$600/month or so...

If you were to get an M2 your only expenses for the first 5 years or so would be fuel and tires since you'd get a warranty and service package with the car.

I know all too well what owning a BMW outside of warranty is like but during the warranty/service package period literally everything is covered and it's the most care free motoring you could ever have.

Yeah, you can't get mad at kids.. The neighborhood kids always compliment me when I drive by them with the top down and all that lol.

So, Lemons racing!

Dang that looks like a lot of fun and Eagles Canyon is an awesome track.

I wonder if I can find a Miata for less than a hundred and fix it up haha.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you were to get an M2 your only expenses for the first 5 years or so would be fuel and tires since you'd get a warranty and service package with the car.

I know all too well what owning a BMW outside of warranty is like but during the warranty/service package period literally everything is covered and it's the most care free motoring you could ever have.

True - that's a great point. Just right now, I couldn't justify spending $52k+ on a car. $40 is about the very top end of my budget should I not want to piss off my soon-to-be wife :p

So I'm taking the Miata to autocross this weekend with a buddy and the GF. Any tips?

I'm using this weekend as a benchmark before the mods start haha.

Makki

So I'm taking the Miata to autocross this weekend with a buddy and the GF. Any tips?

I'm using this weekend as a benchmark before the mods start haha.

Don't park the car and shut it off immediately after your runs. Let it cool off. Ask others to be a ride along specially in novice class if there is one since they wont care and it's way better help at visualizing the course than watching from the side or trying to memorize a walk around on first try. Don't bother lowering tire pressures and instead make sure all lose items are out of the car. Dont do autocross with Martin Sports Car club so you dont have to do cone work and pay them for the pleasure doing it too.

Yeah, he had good intentions. I made sure to get him in the car and take his picture.

That's awesome man. You probably made that kid's day lol.

Man, whenever I'm finally able to afford an exotic, I'm definitely gonna do this. Not to mention actually taking it out of the garage and driving it as much as possible lol.

2nd and 3rd gear are your best friends, but 2nd is your bestest friend out of the 5.

Braking is for scrubbing off speed, or when your grill is about to eat a cone.

Semi-kidding aside, don't worry about the lap times or whatever and just have fun. Competition is cool and all, but I've seen a few newbies spin out since they're trying too damn hard.

Also, if you have GEICO you might wanna watch out.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
That's awesome man. You probably made that kid's day lol.

Man, whenever I'm finally able to afford an exotic, I'm definitely gonna do this. Not to mention actually taking it out of the garage and driving it as much as possible lol.

Absolutely. One of the most fun parts of owning cars like this is observing and feeding into the enthusiasm of other enthusiasts and onlookers. These cars almost always inspire goodwill with people.

Except for a single perfect 1-owner Alpine White 2006 M3 Coupe 6MT, none of my cars are garage queens. I put on 30,000 Ferrari miles in less than 2 years. I've already done over 2k in the LP. If I feel like a drive, I hop in.

Ughhh that yellow LaFerrari is so beautiful

Love your cars man. Damn good stable there

Thank you for the kind words, AAA1. The LaFerrari belongs to the wife of a relatively early Googler. Both of them are very down-to-earth. Impressive spec on the car.

Here's me at the event last year. Took me and a friend a night to prepare. I developed an appreciation for the intricacy of the bodywork.

So the next car I'm looking to get, either 440i or tesla model 3 will most likely have leather or pleather seats. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and usually drive home a little sweaty, I know kind of gross but I hate showering at gyms. Weird question but does sweat ruin these types of material over time?

TylerD

Absolutely. One of the most fun parts of owning cars like this is observing and feeding into the enthusiasm of other enthusiasts and onlookers. These cars almost always inspire goodwill with people.

Except for a single perfect 1-owner Alpine White 2006 M3 Coupe 6MT, none of my cars are garage queens. I put on 30,000 Ferrari miles in less than 2 years. I've already done over 2k in the LP. If I feel like a drive, I hop in.

Thank you for the kind words, AAA1. The LaFerrari belongs to the wife of a relatively early Googler. Both of them are very down-to-earth. Impressive spec on the car.

Here's me at the event last year. Took me and a friend a night to prepare. I developed an appreciation for the intricacy of the bodywork.

Hot diggity damn. What color is the interior and how many miles? My ideal 330 ZHP would be alpine white on natural brown, 6MT coupe. I have grown very fond of mystic blue on grey though and am not bothered at all that I didn't wait to find one (and spend several grand more).

Enthusiast Auto Group has many e46 M3s available at their usual ridiculous prices: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?...lLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=20&1574_0=1

This was the rear of my car this weekend:
QOQhiiW.jpg

I was fixing the infamous rear deck rattle following the guide here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=880622 and installing a Bavsound stage 1 kit I got on clearance and BMW aux jack. Very pleased with the lack of rattle now.

So the next car I'm looking to get, either 440i or tesla model 3 will most likely have leather or pleather seats. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and usually drive home a little sweaty, I know kind of gross but I hate showering at gyms. Weird question but does sweat ruin these types of material over time?

Clean and condition the leather/fake leather periodically and it should be just fine.

SliChillax

Another M2 video, lovely machine

http://youtu.be/Q4FNZkuV2-Y

The M performance carbon parts and exhaust are a rip off, that's why it was expensive. To be precise, those carbon winglets and M performance exhaust are 6,000 dollars. I don't see why he prefers the M4 though since everyone has said the M2 is the best one to drive and without those useless carbon options it's at least 15k cheaper than an M4.

Dre3001

What does Auto-Gaf recommend as being the best way to get out of a near upside down loan?

I have a 2011 370z that I have owned for about a year now and still owe about 14 grand on it. According to KBB it is only worth about 16 if I trade it in to a dealership or 17 if I sell it on my own.

When I bought the car I wasn't thinking long-term. I had been working at a new job right out of college and needed transportation for work and instead of getting a beater just to get to work I decided to finance. The payments themselves havent been an issue but only because I have been living at my parents house and commuting to work.

So now im looking to possibly trade in or sell the 370 for something significantly cheaper where I wouldn't have any monthly payments so that I could move out of parents house.

Im not sure how trading in a car would work if I still owed money on it. Since my car is worth about 16 according to KBB could I take it to a dealership and trade it in for a significantly cheaper vehicle of maybe around 9-10 grand?

Makki

What does Auto-Gaf recommend as being the best way to get out of a near upside down loan?

I have a 2011 370z that I have owned for about a year now and still owe about 14 grand on it. According to KBB it is only worth about 16 if I trade it in to a dealership or 17 if I sell it on my own.

When I bought the car I wasn't thinking long-term. I had been working at a new job right out of college and needed transportation for work and instead of getting a beater just to get to work I decided to finance. The payments themselves havent been an issue but only because I have been living at my parents house and commuting to work.

So now im looking to possibly trade in or sell the 370 for something significantly cheaper where I wouldn't have any monthly payments so that I could move out of parents house.

Im not sure how trading in a car would work if I still owed money on it. Since my car is worth about 16 according to KBB could I take it to a dealership and trade it in for a significantly cheaper vehicle of maybe around 9-10 grand?

Very broadly speaking, if you owe 14k and KBB is 16k they will probably offer you 14k or less on trade in with no incentive to help since you aren't buying new. In the end you would be trading in your 370z for a used 9k car and have no equity to put towards the purchase other than the tax credit for trading in, so now you would have a lower payment, but an arguably shittier car and more years of payments than you had now.

If you really want to move out, trade it in and get a 3-4k Lexus or something, now that's a beater.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Hot diggity damn. What color is the interior and how many miles? My ideal 330 ZHP would be alpine white on natural brown, 6MT coupe. I have grown very fond of mystic blue on grey though and am not bothered at all that I didn't wait to find one (and spend several grand more).

Enthusiast Auto Group has many e46 M3s available at their usual ridiculous prices: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?...lLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=20&1574_0=1

This was the rear of my car this weekend:
QOQhiiW.jpg

I was fixing the infamous rear deck rattle following the guide here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=880622 and installing a Bavsound stage 1 kit I got on clearance and BMW aux jack. Very pleased with the lack of rattle now.

That looks like a pretty involved job. I've been lucky to avoid the issue on my E46s. Good work getting your issue resolved.

AUX cable is the highest ROI mod for modernizing an E46's in-car entertainment features. AUX + iPhone + a nice mount gets me ~90% of the way to what I desire from an iDrive-like system.

I generally never do anything but OEM hardware for car audio. The LP has a very aftermarket-looking double DIN Kenwood head unit as the stock system, so I decided to swap it out for an Alpine ILX-007 CarPlay unit this weekend.

If you have a good mic, CarPlay /w Siri is a very good system (though not bug-free). 8/10.

I've never received a dealer trade-in offer that was reasonably close to what I got myself selling privately.

Get your trade-in quote from the dealer and plan on selling it privately for 20%+ more. If your loan is with a bank with a local branch, you and the buyer can pay off your loan in person so that he/she can have the assurance that the title is on its way. You can then take the ~$2-5k net and go find your next car.

Evo X

Very broadly speaking, if you owe 14k and KBB is 16k they will probably offer you 14k or less on trade in with no incentive to help since you aren't buying new. In the end you would be trading in your 370z for a used 9k car and have no equity to put towards the purchase other than the tax credit for trading in, so now you would have a lower payment, but an arguably shittier car and more years of payments than you had now.

If you really want to move out, trade it in and get a 3-4k Lexus or something, now that's a beater.

+1

I don't see how saving a few thousand dollars, especially over the course of a multi-year loan, will help you move out. I mean, that can't amount to more than a ~$120 a month? My Internet bill alone is more than that.

Either sell the car, and use cash to pick up a true beater, or just enjoy your 370Z a little while longer and stay with your parents until you are in a better financial position (more savings & better paying job) to move out.

Yeah, I agree with Evo.

I still live at home with the parents and I daresay it, it's kinda wonderful actually lol. I pay my bills, help out with bills and other stuff, and since we're Filipino, there's really no stigma of living at home with the parents unlike a majority of Americans.

Hell, there's even no pressure of moving out tbh. I'm only interested in moving out so I can live in downtown Dallas instead of the burbs, otherwise I'd stay here as long as necessary lol. But the rent down there starts at one grand... and I think I'd rather save that money to buy a new car so... lol.

100% agree. As much as I hate ricers, hellaflush and those odd car enthusiasts, in reality I can't hate what they are. They love their cars as much as we normal enthusiasts do and you can see it by what they do to their cars, as misguided as they can be.

Also, how does one go about swapping a radio in a Lambo? There's no way you drop it off at your local Car Toys or whatever and have them do it... right? Lol.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Okay guys, here are some pics from tracking over weekend @ Buttonwillow near Bakersfield CA (kinda).

Someone on one of the Saturday sessions made it onto Jalopnik:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/track-day-bro-has-the-best-reaction-ever-to-a-wheel-fai-1770532706

100% agree. As much as I hate ricers, hellaflush and those odd car enthusiasts, in reality I can't hate what they are. They love their cars as much as we normal enthusiasts do and you can see it by what they do to their cars, as misguided as they can be.

Also, how does one go about swapping a radio in a Lambo? There's no way you drop it off at your local Car Toys or whatever and have them do it... right? Lol.

Back in the day, I was obsessed with bodykits and dreamt of putting a Wings West Avenger kit on my Vogue Silver Metallic 2000 Civic EX Coupe AT.

honda_civic_96_98_b_wings_west_avenger.jpg

Since I worked at Kinko's, I printed out the images above in 11"x17" color and laminated it. It lived on my wall for a couple of years. I seriously thought this was the best looking car ever. This was back in 2000.

I never did get to do it.

Regarding the CarPlay install, it took a highly qualified guy that I trust 6 hours to do it cleanly and carefully. I watched for the first hour or so; definitely not what I'd trust to a Best Buy. However, at the end of the day, it's just panels, wires, clips, and screws.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I agree with Evo.

I still live at home with the parents and I daresay it, it's kinda wonderful actually lol. I pay my bills, help out with bills and other stuff, and since we're Filipino, there's really no stigma of living at home with the parents unlike a majority of Americans.

Hell, there's even no pressure of moving out tbh. I'm only interested in moving out so I can live in downtown Dallas instead of the burbs, otherwise I'd stay here as long as necessary lol. But the rent down there starts at one grand... and I think I'd rather save that money to buy a new car so... lol.

I wish I still lived with my parents sometimes. LOL

Yeah, I agree with Evo.

Rent out here starts at like $3k.

Freaking bay area.

This is why I unironically love donks.

Skittles-Donk2.jpg

Dude loves his car, what ya gonna do?

kharma45

The M performance carbon parts and exhaust are a rip off, that's why it was expensive. To be precise, those carbon winglets and M performance exhaust are 6,000 dollars. I don't see why he prefers the M4 though since everyone has said the M2 is the best one to drive and without those useless carbon options it's at least 15k cheaper than an M4.

£13K cheaper for us, sizeable saving. Could also argue for the M235i is still enough, and save another £10K on top of that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It does have its advantages. Like a garage with tons of tools, and a large backyard where I can park all my non running cars.

Its just not cool to still live with your parents when you reach your late 20's.

Haha I know. I'm just dumb and should've taken better advantage of it when I was younger to save up even more money.

matmanx1

Does anyone else watch Matt Farah's series of One Take's on The Smoking Tire? I don't catch every one but I do like the series and I caught one this morning that I missed from back in February.

Porsche 928 S4 with about 32,000 original miles and 5 speed manual. Custom exhaust that sounds holy cow amazing. You can tell Matt really enjoys himself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pmhT4Sb5g

I've always had a soft spot for the 928. The S4's and GTS's in particular look amazing for an 80's car.

SliChillax

Does anyone else watch Matt Farah's series of One Take's on The Smoking Tire? I don't catch every one but I do like the series and I caught one this morning that I missed from back in February.

Porsche 928 S4 with about 32,000 original miles and 5 speed manual. Custom exhaust that sounds holy cow amazing. You can tell Matt really enjoys himself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pmhT4Sb5g

I've always had a soft spot for the 928. The S4's and GTS's in particular look amazing for an 80's car.
I watch every one. I really loved the Jaguar with the LS swap and manual gated shifter.

FStop7

Banned
A friend of mine used to be involved in some car video production business thing with Matt Farah until there was high school drama and hurtbutt feelings. But before that happened I met Matt a couple of times and he seemed pretty cool. He was on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple of times and he dished it out pretty good on some of the BS that happens behind the scenes. He called Platinum Motorsports "trash", which I absolutely loved because most people are afraid to say it because of all the celebrities associated with Platinum. He had some pretty real things to say about some other "tuners" and manufacturers, too. It's all stuff that everybody already knows but 99% of car journalists are afraid to actually say because they want to get rich and be big stars or something.

ascii42

Guys how is chevy malibu?. Looking to buy it as my next car. Only confusion is that there is a new design on horizon

The Malibu is new for the 2016 model year. I don't know much about the new one, other than without the Chevy badge, people in commercials think it's a BMW or a Lexus or something.

Top Bottom