• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

TylerD

I just found out that I'm going to be able to live with my girlfriend when my lease expires. Going from around 1100-1200 a month with bills to 375+internet. Now I can comfortably lease a car for 600-700!
I mean save up for a down payment on our house!.

Commute is going from 1/5 mile to 9 miles.

Anion

I just found out that I'm going to be able to live with my girlfriend when my lease expires. Going from around 1100-1200 a month with bills to 375+internet. Now I can comfortably lease a car for 600-700!
I mean save up for a down payment on a house for the both of us.

Usually this starts as "saving up for a house" into "saving up for a hou--car I mean" followed by a "welp" after you are given the "talk" with said SO lol

Evo X

So what's everyone's experience here with Bluetooth? I've driven a bunch of different makes and models these past few years and it's so inconsistent.

It's fantastic in the BMW M5 and X5. Phone syncs up instantly everytime for both calls and music. Great quality for both.

It's mostly fine in my Porsches. The only issue being sometimes the music streaming doesn't sync by itself so I have to go in my phones Bluetooth menu and enable it again. Just a small annoyance. Works perfectly otherwise.

The one in my sisters Lexus GS350 is absolutely awful though. Takes a long time to sync when you get in the car and the audio quality for the music is terrible. Compressed to hell, distorted, wrong pitch and tempo. Just ruins everything.

Yhe R8s infotainment is so archaic that it barely supports it for calls, and not at all for songs.

I'll have to try out my brother's S-Class to see how modern Mercedes compares.

Who has experience, either positive or negative, with other cars? I'd like to get a ranking going and figure out why something so relatively simple has such wild inconsistencies.

So what's everyone's experience here with Bluetooth? I've driven a bunch of different makes and models these past few years and it's so inconsistent.

It's fantastic in the BMW M5 and X5. Phone syncs up instantly everytime for both calls and music. Great quality for both.

It's mostly fine in my Porsches. The only issue being sometimes the music streaming doesn't sync by itself so I have to go in my phones Bluetooth menu and enable it again. Just a small annoyance. Works perfectly otherwise.

The one in my sisters Lexus GS350 is absolutely awful though. Takes a long time to sync when you get in the car and the audio quality for the music is terrible. Compressed to hell, distorted, wrong pitch and tempo. Just ruins everything.

Yhe R8s infotainment is so archaic that it barely supports it for calls, and not at all for songs.

Who has experience, either positive or negative, with other cars? I'd like to get a ranking going and figure out why something so relatively simple has such wild inconsistencies.
BMW X3's is pretty great with my Nexus 6P and my wife's iPhone 6s. It'll even choose to connect to the right one, depending on which of us opens the door first. It does get an occasional audio skip with my phone, though.

Honda Accord's blows. It doesn't work properly with iOS 8+ (confirmed with the dealer; we brought it in because we thought it was broken), and it only works half the time with Android.

My M3s Bluetooth is pretty flawless. Always syncs no problem.

Only issue I have with the Bluetooth to Media system is that rather syncing to the last music played from my iPhone in the car, it always syncs with whatever was last played on the iPhone. So if i was watching a twitch stream, thats what will start to be played in the car and i cant swap back to music thru iDrive i think. Gotta swap in the phone first.

Anyway, minor inconvenience but bluetooth as a whole is excellent.

ascii42

My 2010 Malibu only supported bluetooth for calls, and I believe it couldn't sync contacts. No real complaints, seemed to sync pretty quickly every time I got in the car. I do remember one funny thing. It had a voice that would say "Call Ended." Which is fine, but if I had bluetooth on while using Google Maps, I'd hear that after every instruction. A bit annoying.

As for my ATS, CarPlay requires a wired connection, plus I figure I might as well charge it, so I generally have my iPhone plugged in, particularly when I want to listen to music off of it. Because of that, about the only time I hear music through bluetooth is when first getting into the car if I was listening to music off of my phone the previous time. I guess the volume over bluetooth is based on the phone's volume setting, so it's a lot quieter than it is over USB. That's about the only thing I've noticed. Seems to connect pretty much immediately when I start the car or unplug the phone. I've only gotten a couple calls while in my ATS so far, and I can't remember off the top of my head if they were over bluetooth or USB. They said the sound quality was great, though. I've noticed my ATS has an additional microphone in the back seat, which is interesting.

FStop7

Banned
Went out for a coffee and a Mac 570S hauled ass past me as I was walking along. It's very loud but it doesn't sound like a V8. And the exhaust smell was very strong and it didn't smell right. Had a faint metallic tinge to it like when an engine is running too hot and lean.

Bluetooth connections are Super Shitty in my BRZ. Refuses to pair sometimes till I restart the car. Random muting and inoperative controls could also be Android's shitty implementation but I have a feeling it is both.

Xdye7

Went out for a coffee and a Mac 570S hauled ass past me as I was walking along. It's very loud but it doesn't sound like a V8. And the exhaust smell was very strong and it didn't smell right. Had a faint metallic tinge to it like when an engine is running too hot and lean.

Maybe had some exhaust work done like a decat without a tune

Makki

Bluetooth connections are Super Shitty in my BRZ. Refuses to pair sometimes till I restart the car. Random muting and inoperative controls could also be Android's shitty implementation but I have a feeling it is both.

FRS here, my unit has never not paired with my phone but I have an iPhone (no call issues or music issues). I like the extra bass from the Bluetooth vs directly plugged to AUX too.

Evo X

Must have been modded. The one I drove wasn't that loud and had no obvious smells.

Mazda's Bluetooth system seems like they work fine, judging from the other Mazdas in my fam's stable.

My Miata on the other hand has an aftermarket JVC head unit since NC Miatas from 06 to 2012(IIRC) didn't even have a goddamn aux port then lol.

Finally getting some top down weather up here in Minnesota!

Yeah!!

NC Miata-GAF represent!

Back in the day, I was obsessed with bodykits and dreamt of putting a Wings West Avenger kit on my Vogue Silver Metallic 2000 Civic EX Coupe AT.

Regarding the CarPlay install, it took a highly qualified guy that I trust 6 hours to do it cleanly and carefully. I watched for the first hour or so; definitely not what I'd trust to a Best Buy. However, at the end of the day, it's just panels, wires, clips, and screws.

Oh my god, that pic is still hosted on Angelfire. That's amazing!

Also 6 hours to swap a head unit? If it was another car, I'd say that your guy is crap but on a Lambo... dude can take all day just as long as he doesn't damage anything haha.

Rent out here starts at like $3k.

Freaking bay area.

Yeah... I had a gig lined up in Redwood City a few months back but I ended up not taking it coz my monthly pay would be about 60% of my rent. I thought that'd be fine until I looked at apartments and yeah I passed on it. The cheapest one I found was in Milpitas and IIRC it was about an hour away.

Worse thing was it was a startup so it wasn't even a guarantee that they were going to last the year. If I at least had that guarantee, I probably would've went for it tbh.

This is why I unironically love donks.

Dude loves his car, what ya gonna do?

Lol funny thing is, I love donks too. Ricers and hellaflush on the other hand, yeah I technically don't hate it... but goddamn it's fncking gross.

I was just at Chipotle picking up dinner and some dude in a NB Miata all stanced, maximum negative camber bullshit and my stomach was already a gurgling mess... and nah, I didn't even get a chance to eat my burrito bowl yet.

Its just not cool to still live with your parents when you reach your late 20's.

The cultural differences are fascinating to me.

In the Philippines, thereby Filipino-American culture as well, you stay with the parents until you get married. But even then, they'd rather you stay with them and help out with the bills and all that... eventually getting ownership of the house while the 'rents go off to retire in the Philippines.

That said, I'm starting to see that stigma go away thanks to the jackasses who run this country. But that topic is for another time and place lol.

Anion

My 2015 CLA bluetooth is excellent. Voice recognition is super fast and very well integrated. Connects seamlessly and effortlessly. I was first disappointed that it wouldn't have car play, but I don't miss anything tbh.

My fathers 2012 CLS has also a pretty good one, but its clear MB worked a lot on voice recognition and speed. But no cracking and its just perfect in terms of sensitivity.

I would assume your brothers S-class would be wonderful, but idk how it compares against BMW.

SliChillax

My Android phones worked perfectly on my Golf Mk7 and M235i. No trouble connection, great audio playback, calls etc. The 2.7 Boxster though, it was glitchy and had no audio playback only for phone calls. Good thing I got rid of that car, it felt like overpriced jewellery. Visibility was awful with no rear view camera, no options whatsoever, seat leather on the side bolster started to rip off even though the car was new, engine sounded good but the car felt slow at all times, interior had no space to even put my phone somewhere. Felt like a huge pain in the ass, had almost no options not even usb and it was still so expensive. How do these cars sell so well? I get buying anything above the Boxster S second hand but buying a 2.7 brand new? Crazy. Before you ask why I bought, it was my dads as he always dreamed of a Boxster and we got a crazy good deal on it. He sold the car after a month and never looked back.

MisterNoisy

For all the hate I've read about SYNC, my Focus ST is fantastic on this front - pairs instantly and kicks off whatever I was listening to before I got in the car, even though it's being played via a third party application on my phone. Audio is great both ways for calls and the car will happily read my texts to me.

Oxn

Anyone know where I can find rims like this? This particular one is almost 5 grand for a set lol, cause it is custom.

I want gold rims with those same shapes. I think they call it circular rotary symbols.

ISS_ML24_RE-5_22_0.jpg

Mazda's Bluetooth system seems like they work fine, judging from the other Mazdas in my fam's stable.

My Miata on the other hand has an aftermarket JVC head unit since NC Miatas from 06 to 2012(IIRC) didn't even have a goddamn aux port then lol.

Yeah!!

NC Miata-GAF represent!

Oh my god, that pic is still hosted on Angelfire. That's amazing!

Also 6 hours to swap a head unit? If it was another car, I'd say that your guy is crap but on a Lambo... dude can take all day just as long as he doesn't damage anything haha.

Yeah... I had a gig lined up in Redwood City a few months back but I ended up not taking it coz my monthly pay would be about 60% of my rent. I thought that'd be fine until I looked at apartments and yeah I passed on it. The cheapest one I found was in Milpitas and IIRC it was about an hour away.

Worse thing was it was a startup so it wasn't even a guarantee that they were going to last the year. If I at least had that guarantee, I probably would've went for it tbh.

Haha what a coincidence, I work in Redwood City...and live in San Jose >_> Commute is a bitch.

And yeah. It's been too down weather all day. Just got home and I had the top down (night) with heating on, and I was almost burning up.

minx

Guys how is chevy malibu?. Looking to buy it as my next car. Only confusion is that there is a new design on horizon

It was just redesigned. Reviews basically say it's finally competitive. You are better off with a Ford Fusion or Mazda 6.

Just got back from a week in Iceland. Had requested a Renault Clio, but the rental agency had a diesel Kia Rio instead. Oh well.

It was great seeing an automotive landscape so different from America's. Small hatchbacks (mostly Toyota and VW/Skoda) and Land Cruisers rule over there, although I did see a mid-80s Camaro and a new Mustang GT.

Also: Icelanders are insane and make LA drivers pale in comparison.

FRS here, my unit has never not paired with my phone but I have an iPhone (no call issues or music issues). I like the extra bass from the Bluetooth vs directly plugged to AUX too.

Zero problems with my FR-S radio; Bluetooth works consistently and quickly. When test driving the BRZ the head unit was so infuriating it heavily contributed to picking the FR-S.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i'm no audiophile, but seems pretty flawless in my evo x.

ameratsu

I have an aftermarket Pioneer BT headunit and it's very consistent. Better than the factory connectivity options in most 2012 and earlier model cars.

Flo_Evans

re: bluetooth

2011 Mazda - audio quality is poor connection flaky at times. Radio in general is trash and this was the "upgrade" bose unit.
2014 BRZ - slightly better quality but still not great. Sometimes fails to connect. Radio in general also junk but who cares you can barely hear it over road noise :p

re: bluetooth

2011 Mazda - audio quality is poor connection flaky at times. Radio in general is trash and this was the "upgrade" bose unit.
2014 BRZ - slightly better quality but still not great. Sometimes fails to connect. Radio in general also junk but who cares you can barely hear it over road noise :p

Does yours do that stupid thing where if you go to the music screen and then go back to the nav system, it reads out the next turn/exit as being in a half mile instead of the correct xxx miles?

Flo_Evans

Does yours do that stupid thing where if you go to the music screen and then go back to the nav system, it reads out the next turn/exit as being in a half mile instead of the correct xxx miles?

Not sure, nav is also kinda crap. Never really use it. Cant take the 5fps map. I usually just have my phone USB and have that read me directions.

edit: reminds me I took this photo

Fun and Family
RcKP2ol.jpg

Cowie

Man, it's all over the place. My current car, 2015 Audi A5, has been great. I think maybe once or twice in the year I've had it I had to cycle bluetooth on and off on my iphone to get it to sync, but that's infrequent enough that it could be the phone's fault as much as the car's. Handles calls well and Siri works using the car's mic. No complaints about sound quality either.

I had a 2014 Dodge Charger before that, and boy was the bluetooth a mess there. Day to day operation was mostly okay but sometimes it just refused to believe my phone was present, no matter what I did. It had this wonky management interface for bluetooth phones it knows about, which, in theory, allows you to add and delete bluetooth devices as well as specify a priority so that when two bluetooth devices are present it will choose the right one. In practice, In practice, it shits the bed whenever I try to connect a second device and throws a tantrum while refusing to acknowledge any bluetooth devices. I'd end up deleting all of the known devices and turning the entire radio off and on to resolve it.

A coworker of mine has a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and it seems like every other week he's facing a different problem. Some of the issue is perhaps that he uses multiple sources on the phone for music (Pandora, local music, google whatever), but it's still disheartening. It generally works after some fiddling, but it seems like there's always some new ritual of poking things and switching modes that he has to undergo to get it to do what he wants.

I'm glad more and more manufacturers are embracing the "fuck it, you guys figure this shit out" approach and adding apple carplay/android auto options.

Works great in my Genesis Coupe with my Galaxy S4. Only problem is it doesn't show the song title.

Haha what a coincidence, I work in Redwood City...and live in San Jose >_> Commute is a bitch.

And yeah. It's been too down weather all day. Just got home and I had the top down (night) with heating on, and I was almost burning up.

Top down on cool nights is amazing... except on highways. People can't see you so it's a little scary.

Yeah where I work now, I'm 15 mins away from my house to the office... 30 if I'm in nasty traffic so it's pretty great lol.

Evo X

You Miata people are making me jealous.

Sometimes when the weather is nice, I wish I would have ordered a Boxster Spyder instead of the GT4.

Personally, the sound and feel of top down motoring trumps the slightly higher performance capabilities of a coupe, especially on the street.

matmanx1

Finally getting some top down weather up here in Minnesota!

Yeah! Miata represent!

I mean save up for a down payment on our house!.

Commute is going from 1/5 mile to 9 miles.

Sweeeet! Congrats man. And stay strong with that saving!

My parents F30 3 series is flawless. It works in my 128i but I don't use it. BMW seems to do a pretty good job in this area.

Yeah!!

NC Miata-GAF represent! .

I am still seriously considering membership in Miata-Gaf. I am trying to stay strong until early next year though. You guys aren't making it any easier!!

My Android phones worked perfectly on my Golf Mk7 and M235i. No trouble connection, great audio playback, calls etc. The 2.7 Boxster though, it was glitchy and had no audio playback only for phone calls. Good thing I got rid of that car, it felt like overpriced jewellery. Visibility was awful with no rear view camera, no options whatsoever, seat leather on the side bolster started to rip off even though the car was new, engine sounded good but the car felt slow at all times, interior had no space to even put my phone somewhere. Felt like a huge pain in the ass, had almost no options not even usb and it was still so expensive. How do these cars sell so well? I get buying anything above the Boxster S second hand but buying a 2.7 brand new? Crazy. Before you ask why I bought, it was my dads as he always dreamed of a Boxster and we got a crazy good deal on it. He sold the car after a month and never looked back.

Yeah, I didn't keep my 2.7 Boxster very long either. Not enough torque for the amount of noise it made. The steering, clutch and shifter were completely amazing but didn't make up for the lack of "ooomph" or for the drone at highway speeds.

If owning several successive small, naturally aspirated engines has taught me anything it is that I really like torque. I get giggly when I mash my foot to the floor in my GX470 just because I get to feel the torque push (and the great sound) of the Toyota 4.7L V8 even though it is in a big heavy truck.

My 128i is more fun to drive, overall, of course, but I have missed having a vehicle with a good V8 in it.

You Miata people are making me jealous.

Sometimes when the weather is nice, I wish I would have ordered a Boxster Spyder instead of the GT4.

Personally, the sound and feel of top down motoring trumps the slightly higher performance capabilities of a coupe, especially on the street.

I consider the new Boxster Spyder one of the sexiest cars on the road right now. But then again so is the Cayman GT4!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gonna test drive another car tomorrow...also a chance I may end up with it if the dealer can make the numbers work for me. It's a CPO car and I have access to all of its maintenance records.

This one has 510HP. RWD. Coupe.

But 4 seats.

Xdye7

Evo X said:
bluetooth experience

i'm no audiophile, but seems pretty flawless in my evo x.

I am, and it really does. The standard touchscreen head unit in the later model years is really good. Supports virtually every filetype, great radio functionality (HD, XM), Bluetooth as good as it gets, even plays DVDs. Not to mention the base speakers have very accurate sound reproduction. However they aren't the most powerful if that's your thing, but they certainly do the job otherwise IMO.

Opel?

I guess since it's technically a GM product you're able to import them.

Heh yeah, I always drive with the windows down. The only exceptions are when it's raining or its too hot/cold.

I am still seriously considering membership in Miata-Gaf. I am trying to stay strong until early next year though. You guys aren't making it any easier!!

It always starts like this.

2 months before I got my Miata, I thought it was a chick car... when I started researching into them, I was enamored and entertained the thought of getting one... next thing you know, I'm going home driving my dad's car with my bro driving my Miata since I wasn't confident at driving a stick yet lol.

Just let it happen man, you won't regret it.

9966101.jpg

SummitAve

Banned
Opel?

I guess since it's technically a GM product you're able to import them.

Heh yeah, I always drive with the windows down. The only exceptions are when it's raining or its too hot/cold.

It always starts like this.

2 months before I got my Miata, I thought it was a chick car... when I started researching into them, I was enamored and entertained the thought of getting one... next thing you know, I'm going home driving my dad's car with my bro driving my Miata since I wasn't confident at driving a stick yet lol.

Just let it happen man, you won't regret it.

I wanted something small, reliable, quick, winter capable, and it didn't need to be that practical. It was hot as fuck when I was car shopping though so convertible priority shot to the top. I don't think I even knew there was a third generation miata or at least I never paid attention to it, but the nifty powered hard top and heated seats sold me on mine. Looks are love it or hate it, but I like the condescending giant smiley and the versatility between the cockpit look, and slick convertible coupe look. I also do all my own work so the wealth of resources for DIY miata work (thanks to all the enthusiasts) was also a consideration. It's been awesome so far and had no problems during the winter. It was actually super fun and manageable in the snow!

If I was shopping right now for a car under 20k I'd probably grab a damn near new 500 Abarth for next to nothing and drive the hell out of it.

Malvolio

Not a fan of the Bluetooth audio in my 2016 GTI, but that's because it pales in comparison to using Android Auto. Not only is the sound quality significantly better, having Google maps for GPS is nice and seamless. Although I do wish I could use Waze instead.

Fezan

The Malibu is new for the 2016 model year. I don't know much about the new one, other than without the Chevy badge, people in commercials think it's a BMW or a Lexus or something.

It was just redesigned. Reviews basically say it's finally competitive. You are better off with a Ford Fusion or Mazda 6.

http://sa-en.chevroletarabia.com/cars/malibu/model-overview.htmlChevy site Saudi Arabia

Here its the same old design. Its cheaper than crolla here there for thinking of going for it
2dfab48872ff1005806500146edef087.jpg

Same as this one

Saw a really clean looking FD RX-7 earlier today and fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

That car is so goddamned beautiful... I'd sell one of my nuts for one
(and saving the other for when I need to rebuild the engine)

Ettie

That body is timeless. When I'm an old man, it's on my list of things to buy and complain about, but secretly love.

matmanx1

That body is timeless. When I'm an old man, it's on my list of things to buy and complain about, but secretly love.

Haha, fantastic. And yeah, I agree with both of you. My brother in law owned both an RX-7 and an RX-8 for a time before he got in to the Miata scene. I believe I have mentioned before how he owns a business that does custom exhaust and fabrication for Miata's and owns a modified NA Miata with a turbo and a stock NB Miata that he uses for a driver.

Well, I am fairly certain it was the RX-7 and RX-8 that came before the Miata's that got him to the place he is now in terms of being a Mazda sports car fan. As much of a pain in the butt as those cars could be, they were pretty fantastic sports cars.

No Love

Banned

Haha, fantastic. And yeah, I agree with both of you. My brother in law owned both an RX-7 and an RX-8 for a time before he got in to the Miata scene. I believe I have mentioned before how he owns a business that does custom exhaust and fabrication for Miata's and owns a modified NA Miata with a turbo and a stock NB Miata that he uses for a driver.

Well, I am fairly certain it was the RX-7 and RX-8 that came before the Miata's that got him to the place he is now in terms of being a Mazda sports car fan. As much of a pain in the butt as those cars could be, they were pretty fantastic sports cars.

Most beautiful car of the 90s no contest. A coupke years back I almost bought an LS3 swapped CARB legal BAR'd white FD with 26k miles on it. Wish I had ;(

Mistel

Banned
Most beautiful car of the 90s no contest. A coupke years back I almost bought an LS3 swapped CARB legal BAR'd white FD with 26k miles on it. Wish I had ;(
In a decade with the XJ220, XJR 15, Viper, A80 Supra, Elise, DB7, Z8, Vantage Le Mans and so on an FD? An FD is a pretty car no doubt but still most beautiful of the 90s?

Top Bottom