• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

In a decade with the XJ220, XJR 15, Viper, A80 Supra, Elise, DB7, Z8, Vantage Le Mans and so on an FD? An FD is a pretty car no doubt but still most beautiful of the 90s?

Yep.

All of those cars look like they belong in the '90s.

The FD RX-7 is timeless. You could sell the body right now and it would look like it belongs in this era.

Most beautiful car of the 90s no contest. A coupke years back I almost bought an LS3 swapped CARB legal BAR'd white FD with 26k miles on it. Wish I had ;(

Should've man. Though tbh, if it doesn't have a rotary, it's kinda meh to me lol.

Mistel

Banned
Yep.

All of those cars look like they belong in the '90s.

The FD RX-7 is timeless. You could sell the body right now and it would look like it belongs in this era.
It's rather 90s itself it wouldn't look like it belongs in this era, it wouldn't like look it did back in the 90s - early 00s if it was around now.

Evo X

Went to a PCA event this morning. There was a racing instructor there who also just picked up a white GT4 with carbon buckets and red stitching. And here I thought I was unique. lol

I don't understand leasing. An infiniti dealer is advertising a 2015 q50 lease for $0 down $268 a month for 39 months 10k miles per year. What's the catch?

Details are here http://www.infinitioforangepark.com/

No catch. They are trying to clear out a car that's been sitting on their lot for almost 2 years. They also don't mention that $0 down doesn't really mean zero down. They still want first months payment, taxes, title, etc. You also need an excellent credit score to qualify for that price.

No Love

Banned
In a decade with the XJ220, XJR 15, Viper, A80 Supra, Elise, DB7, Z8, Vantage Le Mans and so on an FD? An FD is a pretty car no doubt but still most beautiful of the 90s?

Z8 is whatever in person, Elise? Viper? XJ220 maybe but for me, the FD RX7 is the most beautiful car of the '90s. S2000 is a close 2nd though.

Am I pretty much screwed if I want a more boxy, sporty looking suv with decent mpgs on the highway? I used to own a 95 Cherokee and a 2000 grand Cherokee and loved them but the new ones look more like family vehicles. I like the wranglers but man, but they have pretty low mpgs.

Ovid

I don't understand leasing. An infiniti dealer is advertising a 2015 q50 lease for $0 down $268 a month for 39 months 10k miles per year. What's the catch?

The catch is do you have Tier 1 credit?

Shamelessly stolen from myFICO:

Tier 1: 740+
Tier 2: 720-739
Tier 3: 700-719
Tier 4: 680-699
Tier 5: 660-679
Tier 6: 640-659
Tier 7: 620-639
Tier 8: 600-619
Tier 9: <600

I leased a brand new G37 back in 2012. I told the Infiniti dealer that I wanted the exact terms mentioned in the online advertisement. They told me okay and ran my credit. In the end my monthly payments were literally what the advertisement said, $2000 down @ $299/month.

I had Tier 1 credit and the paperwork was done within an hour.

The mileage is likely the catch. 10k in a year is not much at all.

Yup, I had the same milage terms. I live in NYC so at the time most my time was spent using mass transit. I mostly used the car on weekends so it worked out well for me.

boltz

For all the hate I've read about SYNC, my Focus ST is fantastic on this front - pairs instantly and kicks off whatever I was listening to before I got in the car, even though it's being played via a third party application on my phone. Audio is great both ways for calls and the car will happily read my texts to me.

In my plain ol' Focus, the Bluetooth connection is solid with the My Ford Touch system. The current build of MFT is very stable and I really like the UI, but it's really laggy, like using an underpowered Android phone. Sync 3 takes care of the lag, but I don't like the UI as much.

On another note, I test drove a bunch of compact SUVs with my boss (X3, GLK, NX, CX-5, and a Forester XT). He ended up liking the CX-5 and X3 the most and is going to test drive them again. Of course the X3 is faster and nicer overall, but we were both pretty impressed with CX-5 considering how much cheaper it is.

I really wanted to like the Forester XT, but the interior was a step down from everything else and the CVT was a buzzkill with the 2.0T engine. Even in the sport sharp mode, I felt like it was always trying to resist doing what I wanted it to do. It had paddle shifters, but it just felt wrong using paddle shifters in a CVT :p

Am I pretty much screwed if I want a more boxy, sporty looking suv with decent mpgs on the highway? I used to own a 95 Cherokee and a 2000 grand Cherokee and loved them but the new ones look more like family vehicles. I like the wranglers but man, but they have pretty low mpgs.
Have you tried looking at the Renegade? Might be what you're looking for.

Depends, do you actually want this SUV to do SUV stuff or do you just like the look? If you just like the look, the Renegade's not a bad place to start (though I think it's a little cutesy). I have an Xterra that I think fits your bill, but it averages about 16mpg combined--they also don't make them anymore.

Oh duh. Toyota 4Runner.

Wait, you think 17/22 with the Wrangler is too low for mpg? Nah dude, you're not going to find anything with that look that does much better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Well, you still have to pay tax (just the leased amount, not entire amount), DMV, acquisition fee/bank fee ($700), and first payment. So no real catch. They are discounting overstock models a ton, going up to $5K under invoice price ($8K below MSRP). 10K miles a year is a decent amount if you don't commute far to work (especially in a place like NYC). 12K miles will increase it about $7-9 a month, since you're in J-Ville, I'd suggest that route.

It's a good deal, but never pay taxes up front on a lease. Ever. If you lose the car (for whatever reason) you've lost your tax prepayment for good. Tell them $299 for 12K miles with ONLY 1st payment, DMV, and bank fee up front (should be around $1200 total).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

C63s Amg coupe?

Bro, it's Alpha we're talking about. Think Tyler is right on the money with that XKR guess.

Gotta be another Jag!

Hey kids.
bbbbcdcd6c9f4e86990330a8024c0271.jpg

2c930718aa3340e2b5daa8909427ee37.jpg

51fd3f2d10a4474aabea58cb995bfb0d.jpg

a29d886e184f45a588dbdeb36c9ba69b.jpg

Ding!

My dealership just got this beauty in a few days ago. I stumbled upon it. I drove it today and I want it. It's hilariously fast and sounds brilliant. It snarls, and even burbles a bit, but not quite as dramatic as the F-Type R is (though with an exhaust it can be). Their price includes a 2 year CPO, the car was very clean inside and out.

The only stopping block right now is because I'm trading in an Infiniti the the used car manager at the connecting Infiniti dealership is the one who has to acquire the car and sets the trade-in. And he's being a massive dick for some reason, he told my Jaguar guys $32K. I told them their own website has appraised my car at $36-$40K and that I'm not taking any less than $37K for it. My car is mint and needs no work to be put into it.

The Jaguar manager and sales rep told me to bring the car Monday, and print out the appraisal form to show Infiniti used manager in person. I have a decent feeling this car will end up in my driveway this week (God willing). :)

Also, the finance rate I got on this car is INSANELY low...0.9%. I can't pass that up at all.

Anion

Offhhh that is a pretty Jag. If I were a betting man, I would bet that it will by in your driveway by next Sat...lol

Also, I got my first speeding ticket today...and damn its like $180. I'm not even going to try to contest it, it was cited for ~19 mph over in a backroad; however, I doubt a judge will help out a guy in his 20s driving a new red benz.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Nice one, Alpha.

Also, I got my first speeding ticket today...and damn its like $180. I'm not even going to try to contest it, it was cited for ~19 mph over in a backroad; however, I doubt a judge will help out a guy in his 20s driving a new red benz.

For the sake of your future insurance premiums, avoid a conviction at all costs. I recommend finding a highly-rated traffic lawyer in the area where you were cited. Have him/her fight it for you.

Ettie

Like to get some opinions from you guys. My commute is 80 miles round trip M-F. I'm currently driving an econo toaster on wheels, thinking that anything nice is going to get chewed up at 25k miles per year, and the cost to replace it is low, maintenance is cheap.

But it's not very fun.

Were you all in my shoes, would you keep buying cheap cars for the work drive, and maybe have something nice in the garage for weekends? Or, just take the loss and get something nicer for the commute, knowing that the miles are going to pile on quickly? Ultra nice is professional poison at my job, so there'd be a limit. Nothing over a nice 3-series or equivalent.

Hey kids.

Ding!

My dealership just got this beauty in a few days ago. I stumbled upon it. I drove it today and I want it. It's hilariously fast and sounds brilliant. It snarls, and even burbles a bit, but not quite as dramatic as the F-Type R is (though with an exhaust it can be). Their price includes a 2 year CPO, the car was very clean inside and out.

The only stopping block right now is because I'm trading in an Infiniti the the used car manager at the connecting Infiniti dealership is the one who has to acquire the car and sets the trade-in. And he's being a massive dick for some reason, he told my Jaguar guys $32K. I told them their own website has appraised my car at $36-$40K and that I'm not taking any less than $37K for it. My car is mint and needs no work to be put into it.

The Jaguar manager and sales rep told me to bring the car Monday, and print out the appraisal form to show Infiniti used manager in person. I have a decent feeling this car will end up in my driveway this week (God willing). :)

Also, the finance rate I got on this car is INSANELY low...0.9%. I can't pass that up at all.

Aww yiss, 510 PS was just too tell-tale. Hope to see some more pics next week.

Like to get some opinions from you guys. My commute is 80 miles round trip M-F. I'm currently driving an econo toaster on wheels, thinking that anything nice is going to get chewed up at 25k miles per year, and the cost to replace it is low, maintenance is cheap.

But it's not very fun.

Were you all in my shoes, would you keep buying cheap cars for the work drive, and maybe have something nice in the garage for weekends? Or, just take the loss and get something nicer for the commute, knowing that the miles are going to pile on quickly? Ultra nice is professional poison at my job, so there'd be a limit. Nothing over a nice 3-series or equivalent.

How fun or long is your commute? If it's a short, boring, urban journey like mine, then cheap car all the way and something nice for the weekend and going out.

rokkerkory

But it's not very fun.

Yes keep the toaster on wheels for DD, who cares if it isn't fun. Save the money, mileage and cost towards a fun car on weekend. Piling up miles on a nice car for purposes of DD isn't very fun to me. You'll be stuck in traffic too often to have fun anyways.

hey guys I am looking to buy some new rims for my Golf Gti and i have a few questions about oem vs aftermarket. If i am looking at spending about $300 per rim does the quality of the aftermarket match the quality of the oem?

these are the wheels I am looking at. Are those aftermarket of the same quality as the oem.

oem
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Wheels/OEM_Alloys/18_inch/ES2632639/

aftermarket
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswage...ket_Alloys/Neuspeed_Wheels/18_inch/ES2986325/

thanks and I apologize if the wording is a bit bad.

Zoolader

Neuspeed makes good wheels and they are about 5 pounds lighter than those OEM ones. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere though, ECS Tuning tends to be expensive.

You guys and your new fancy cars. I wish they tickled me as much as the oldies but they just all start to look the same after a while tbh. Plus those price tags don't thrill me either lol.

I finally got some good weather to install my jdm headlights and corners on my crx. I still have to wire them up since the harness is different and my parts guy in NZ forgot to clip the plugs and send them. So, no night drives for a bit I guess lol.

I think the car looks much better with the new lights corners than with the usdm variants. Just have to put on the front mud flaps and get the recaros in and this car will be finished. First build/car that I have owned that I can say will be complete. Then I can start on my prelude restoration...

god, GT350s are now reportedly going into limp mode from spirited country drives.

i cant believe there are dumbasses still paying ADM for these things.

SliChillax

god, GT350s are now reportedly going into limp mode from spirited country drives.

i cant believe there are dumbasses still paying ADM for these things.

I keep telling this to myself for every new car, never buy the first year production model. Let them fix out all the issues first then buy the car you wanted.

You guys and your new fancy cars. I wish they tickled me as much as the oldies but they just all start to look the same after a while tbh. Plus those price tags don't thrill me either lol.

I finally got some good weather to install my jdm headlights and corners on my crx. I still have to wire them up since the harness is different and my parts guy in NZ forgot to clip the plugs and send them. So, no night drives for a bit I guess lol.

I think the car looks much better with the new lights corners than with the usdm variants. Just have to put on the front mud flaps and get the recaros in and this car will be finished. First build/car that I have owned that I can say will be complete. Then I can start on my prelude restoration...

Beautiful. Never seen one that clean before.

SliChillax

My mother had a 91 CRX, we bought it used in 2003 and it had only 5,000km. She is the type of person who hates cars and especially driving in traffic but she loved the CRX. She's had many cars since then and she still misses the Honda. We sold it to our neighbour who immediately put chrome wheels and green neon lights underneath.... it took him 1 week to ruin it.

Beautiful. Never seen one that clean before.

Thank you, this car is hard to keep clean living in the NE. I had a good detail done last year and have kept it covered since. Just got a covercraft cover and it's been even better.

My mother had a 91 CRX, we bought it used in 2003 and it had only 5,000km. She is the type of person who hates cars and especially driving in traffic but she loved the CRX. She's had many cars since then and she still misses the Honda. We sold it to our neighbour who immediately put chrome wheels and green neon lights underneath.... it took him 1 week to ruin it.

That's my biggest fear with ever selling any of my cars. The prelude I'll likely never sell and the crx is more like a minor investment/savings account I can drive. I had no intentions of ever getting one but I couldn't pass up owning a nice little piece of Honda history/lineage.

hwalker84

Some little shit decided it would be cool to sit on the hood of my Hellcat and take selfies. Kids these days zero respect. Thanks for the scratches :(

He ran off. Didn't get a picture.

Evo X

Some little shit decided it would be cool to sit on the hood of my Hellcat and take selfies. Kids these days zero respect. Thanks for the scratches :(

Noooo!

That pissed me off so much. There's always marks and fingerprints on my car whenever I come back to it after parking in public. People really do not respect other's property.

Came out of a coffee shop once to find a douche sitting on my Ducati while his girl snapped pics. My friend with the Ariel Atom has to deal with this shit all the time.

That's one of the main reason I'm investing so much money into the XPEL Ultimate wrap and Modesta nano coating.

Anion

The first autorney I called is asking for $1k and the ticket is less than $200. Hopefully the next one will charge less as his starting fee for traffic citations is $350.

I still can't believe I drove into a trap. Damn. I see a cop there every once in a while. Oh well, hopefully it will work out.

Noooo!

That pissed me off so much. There's always marks and fingerprints on my car whenever I come back to it after parking in public. People really do not respect other's property.

Came out of a coffee shop once to find a douche sitting on my Ducati while his girl snapped pics. My friend with the Ariel Atom has to deal with this shit all the time.

That's one of the main reason I'm investing so much money into the XPEL Ultimate wrap and Modesta nano coating.
That's awful. Whenever I see an special car, I maintain a 3-5 foot distance at all costs. Not gonna risk getting close to someone's baby

The first autorney I called is asking for $1k and the ticket is less than $200. Hopefully the next one will charge less as his starting fee for traffic citations is $350.

I still can't believe I drove into a trap. Damn. I see a cop there every once in a while. Oh well, hopefully it will work out.

That's awful. Whenever I see an special car, I maintain a 3-5 foot distance at all costs. Not gonna risk getting close to someone's baby

I paid $400 for mine a few months back.

SliChillax

Yup but to be honest it's so damn expensive to get a car fully wrapped. How long does the wrap usually last before it needs to get changed?

Evo X

Yup but to be honest it's so damn expensive to get a car fully wrapped. How long does the wrap usually last before it needs to get changed?

Full wrap doesn't make sense unless you are spending at least 6 figures+ on a car. Even so, I'm still opting for a partial wrap on all the high impact areas like full front end, mirrors, side skirts scoops and bumper area behind the rear wheels. It's $2,500 installed. Additional $2,000 for the Modesta hydrophobic coating. Includes paint correction to make the car perfect before applying. Full 2 day job for a detail shop.

XPEL Ultimate is the best wrap in the business. Invisible, seamless, self healing, and carries a no questions 10 year warranty. My car needs it. You wouldn't believe how much shit those sticky Michelin Cup 2 tires kick up.

I also want to maintain a perfect paint finish because it's not like I can easily replace the car if something happens.

Highlighted areas is what I'm wrapping.

y8Lo49T.jpg

That CRX is sexy.

I really miss the golden age of Honda.

Check Instagram's hashtags.

A buddy of mine found the little shit who did the same thing on his Mustang. But my buddy is also a bit of an asshole, found out where the kid lived and showed up at his doorstep to scare the shit out of him lol.

My buddy's a tall and burly Mexican that looked like he just came out of the hood, pair that up with his marine outfit since he's a recruiter... the kid was apparently on the verge of tears haha.

burgerdog

Noooo!

Shit drives me mad. There was a huge hand print on the bonnet of my S5 a few days ago. Why would anyone fucking randomly go up to a car and place their hand on it, bastards. I also noticed a few scratches behind the passenger door. Someone passes by with a key hanging out of their pocket or purse and left some nice marks on it. They're not noticeable unless up close but still, people are just dicks.

acksman

Full wrap doesn't make sense unless you are spending at least 6 figures+ on a car. Even so, I'm still opting for a partial wrap on all the high impact areas like full front end, mirrors, side skirts scoops and bumper area behind the rear wheels. It's $2,500 installed. Additional $2,000 for the Modesta hydrophobic coating. Includes paint correction to make the car perfect before applying. Full 2 day job for a detail shop.

XPEL Ultimate is the best wrap in the business. Invisible, seamless, self healing, and carries a no questions 10 year warranty. My car needs it. You wouldn't believe how much shit those sticky Michelin Cup 2 tires kick up.

I also want to maintain a perfect paint finish because it's not like I can easily replace the car if something happens.

Highlighted areas is what I'm wrapping.

I ended up going with Suntek on my GT350 since it is red. Both are essentially the same. Xpel is a bit thicker, but not as glossy. I ended up doing front clip, full hood, fenders doors, and mirrors. Then I did Cquartz on top of that. Won't have to wax for a couple years. And washing the car is just throwing some water on it and using a leaf blower with light towels.

Evo X

Pics from Saturday's PCA meet. Pretty good turnout due to the beautiful 73F weather.

Spoke with a racing instructor to plan some track days for the season.

28dU3h7.jpg

7I6aDPR.jpg

b2kDTsp.jpg

4NWwoYZ.jpg

I ended up going with Suntek on my GT350 since it is red. Both are essentially the same. Xpel is a bit thicker, but not as glossy. I ended up doing front clip, full hood, fenders doors, and mirrors. Then I did Cquartz on top of that. Won't have to wax for a couple years. And washing the car is just throwing some water on it and using a leaf blower with light towels.

Yes, getting the car coated Cquartz Finest is $800 cheaper than Modesta. I am strongly considering it, but I don't know if my ego will let me get second best. How has your experience with it been? Is it really as magical as the marketing hype claims?

That speed here would be a $800 fine and 6 points (half your licence for 3 years)...

Yes, getting the car coated Cquartz Finest is $800 cheaper than Modesta. I am strongly considering it, but I don't know if my ego will let me get second best. How has your experience with it been? Is it really as magical as the marketing hype claims?

i'm pretty sure nanolex si3d is the best coating out now. modesta used to be king.

not really sure why people don't apply this stuff themselves. you can buy all the "dealer installed only" coatings that they don't sell in the USA via eBay and apply them yourself. this stuff isn't rocket science.

Ah okay. Hmm I'm hoping the lawyer my friend recommended doesn't ask for much more than that. Thanks for the suggestion btw, didn't really think much about getting one until you mentioned it.

this is how it broke down for me when all was said and done with the win being that i had points reduced from 6 to 2.

$400 lawyer fee.
$225 fine for 2 point non moving violation.

versus.

$300+ speeding fine for going 24 over.
$290 no front plate fine- this was what the lawyer said this costs in NY but may not be right.
$300 driver assessment fine for getting a 6 point violation(24 over).

i may have been able to plea this down to a non moving violation myself and saved $400 on the lawyer, but with a lawyer its a near guarantee, so like the other poster said, i saved on my insurance premiums.

matmanx1

Hey kids.
bbbbcdcd6c9f4e86990330a8024c0271.jpg

2c930718aa3340e2b5daa8909427ee37.jpg

51fd3f2d10a4474aabea58cb995bfb0d.jpg

a29d886e184f45a588dbdeb36c9ba69b.jpg

Ding!

Very, very sexy! I hope the dealer comes through for you with the trade-in. I love the XK-R's. Someone around here has one that is that exact color combo and it turns my head every time it goes by.

But it's not very fun.

Well, these days you can sort of have you cake and eat it too, depending on what your budget is. There are a plethora of used Lexus and Acura products on the market that are plenty comfortable and luxurious but would still be reliable and relatively* cheap to own and maintain. And certainly drive better than an economy toaster!

Step back to the 2008 - 2010 - 2012 (again depending on budget) model years and you have your choice of IS250, ES300/350, GS from Lexus and the TSX/ILX/TL models from Acura. And as long as they have been well maintained, I wouldn't even shy away from a 65k - 75k (or more) example. You could buy one of those and keep it 3 or 4 years and still probably spend less on it than you would in payments on a new car.

If more sport and less comfort is your goal, the Civic Si is basically a TSX with an LSD and less weight. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in traffic in one but everyone's comfort level is different, so it is up to you.

Very, very sexy! I hope the dealer comes through for you with the trade-in. I love the XK-R's. Someone around here has one that is that exact color combo and it turns my head every time it goes by.

Well, these days you can sort of have you cake and eat it too, depending on what your budget is. There are a plethora of used Lexus and Acura products on the market that are plenty comfortable and luxurious but would still be reliable and relatively* cheap to own and maintain. And certainly drive better than an economy toaster!

Step back to the 2008 - 2010 - 2012 (again depending on budget) model years and you have your choice of IS250, ES300/350, GS from Lexus and the TSX/ILX/TL models from Acura. And as long as they have been well maintained, I wouldn't even shy away from a 65k - 75k (or more) example. You could buy one of those and keep it 3 or 4 years and still probably spend less on it than you would in payments on a new car.

If more sport and less comfort is your goal, the Civic Si is basically a TSX with an LSD and less weight. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in traffic in one but everyone's comfort level is different, so it is up to you.

Yeah I was going to suggest a Civic Si perhaps. The new one should be revealed soon, but that also means if you can find a 2015 you might be able to get a good deal on it. Usually there aren't a lot sitting on lots though.

It's a pretty comfortable and easy to drive 6 speed, I do about 75-80 miles in mine in heavy heavy traffic and it definitely has more pep than your econobox toaster with more creature comforts. Plus the K24 engine on the 9th gen is bulletproof and proven.

Evo X

i'm pretty sure nanolex si3d is the best coating out now. modesta used to be king.

not really sure why people don't apply this stuff themselves. you can buy all the "dealer installed only" coatings that they don't sell in the USA via eBay and apply them yourself. this stuff isn't rocket science.

Nope. Modesta BC-05 for body and BC-06 for wheels is the best coating in the world right now.

It is only available to a handful of the best detailers in the country. It is not that easy to apply. Two layers that are thick like honey have to be applied, then cured under 130F UV light.

Besides, a lot of the money I'm paying the professionals goes towards the crucial paint correction before hand. I don't have the time, skill, or equipment to do it myself. I make way more money per hour doing what I'm good at. I leave almost everything else in my life to trained specialists.

Ettie

Thanks all, I'm leaning towards a moderate upgrade as a couple of you have suggested. I'm not in a rush, so I may just sit back and let the right one come to me :)

Top Bottom