• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Geg

I'm hoping this is a good place to ask for advice about repairs. Just this morning for seemingly no reason at all, something inside the door/window area of my drivers side backseat door broke and now the glass has kind of sunk down into the door with no way of pulling it all the way back up. Trying to use the power window just results in a weird crinkling noise, though I can't tell if it's the sound of broken glass or not.

Has anyone had something like this happen before and knows what the issue is? I have no way of knowing if the actual window glass is broken or fine and if all it needs is some repairs to the motor in the door or if it's a problem with both, etc, so I'm not sure if just taking it to a glass repair place would solve the problem

TylerD

I'm hoping this is a good place to ask for advice about repairs. Just this morning for seemingly no reason at all, something inside the door/window area of my drivers side backseat door broke and now the glass has kind of sunk down into the door with no way of pulling it all the way back up. Trying to use the power window just results in a weird crinkling noise, though I can't tell if it's the sound of broken glass or not.

Has anyone had something like this happen before and knows what the issue is? I have no way of knowing if the actual window glass is broken or fine and if all it needs is some repairs to the motor in the door or if it's a problem with both, etc, so I'm not sure if just taking it to a glass repair place would solve the problem

Sounds like a failed window regulator to me. I haven't had it happen to my car yet but it is a fairly common occurrence. Here is a video with the crunching sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75NodoPnPo

Most likely, your glass isn't broken. Take it to a mechanic or if the sound from the video above sounds the same, you might be able to find a DIY for your car.

rokkerkory

Thinking of getting an S2000 next year fellas. That might become my track car. Finding a nice one that's relatively unmolested will be hard though.

Nope. Modesta BC-05 for body and BC-06 for wheels is the best coating in the world right now.

detailersdomain, the best detailer in the northeast, if not the country, has coated a huge number of GT4s past few months. up until 6 months ago, he used mostly modesta. since then, he's used nothing but si3d, including all those GT4s.
i'm gonna take phils word for it.

with that said, most of these products are very similar and their quality is mostly based on their longevity. you really cant go wrong with modesta as its top tier versus stuff like opticoat pro and cquartz, which will give you a good shine but won't last as long. then again, those two products were among the first of these glass coatings and better newer stronger stuff has since been developed.

number of coats is also a big factor that affects both the cost of the install and final product. its difficult to compare products in that sense as some manufacturers may recommend more coats to get results while others suffer as a result of fewer coats.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ZjNbUyS.jpg

Hello, sirs.

I am home.

(Picture taken at my wife's office building).

Anion

That speed here would be a $800 fine and 6 points (half your licence for 3 years)...
Oh my, where are you from?
this is how it broke down for me when all was said and done with the win being that i had points reduced from 6 to 2.

$400 lawyer fee.
$225 fine for 2 point non moving violation.

versus.

$300+ speeding fine for going 24 over.
$290 no front plate fine- this was what the lawyer said this costs in NY but may not be right.
$300 driver assessment fine for getting a 6 point violation(24 over).

i may have been able to plea this down to a non moving violation myself and saved $400 on the lawyer, but with a lawyer its a near guarantee, so like the other poster said, i saved on my insurance premiums.
Hmm, I talked with another lawyer and he has said $500-600 but he is a good one. Im going to call around some other places today. I also was told to go up to the police station and just plea with them to reduce it. Apparently it has worked a lot with people in my borough.

ZjNbUyS.jpg

Hello, sirs.

I am home.

I totally called this. Congrats man!

FStop7

Banned
A friend of mine used to be involved in some car video production business thing with Matt Farah until there was high school drama and hurtbutt feelings. But before that happened I met Matt a couple of times and he seemed pretty cool. He was on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple of times and he dished it out pretty good on some of the BS that happens behind the scenes. He called Platinum Motorsports "trash", which I absolutely loved because most people are afraid to say it because of all the celebrities associated with Platinum. He had some pretty real things to say about some other "tuners" and manufacturers, too. It's all stuff that everybody already knows but 99% of car journalists are afraid to actually say because they want to get rich and be big stars or something.

Filed under "bizarre coincidences" I was walking along the boardwalk in Venice Beach when I looked up and saw Matt Farah on a balcony about 10 feet above my head. I almost said something but I'm not sure if things were amicable with him and my friend so I just walked on. Really weird timing considering the discussion in here and the fact I'd watched his vids on the 718 and GT350R literally the night before.

Oh my, where are you from?

Hmm, I talked with another lawyer and he has said $500-600 but he is a good one. Im going to call around some other places today. I also was told to go up to the police station and just plea with them to reduce it. Apparently it has worked a lot with people in my borough.

The first lawyer I called quoted $500 or $550. Quoted me after asking what type of car I have.
Second lawyer quoted $400 and gave me a history of their wins in the same scenario.

Call around for lawyers in the area where you were busted. Phone calls cant hurt.

Sounds like a failed window regulator to me. I haven't had it happen to my car yet but it is a fairly common occurrence. Here is a video with the crunching sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75NodoPnPo

Most likely, your glass isn't broken. Take it to a mechanic or if the sound from the video above sounds the same, you might be able to find a DIY for your car.

Ah, someone from the "hold the camera as close to the object as possible while shaking vigorously" school of photography, I see.

Edit: Also my car has been in the shop since three mondays ago and they're just now getting it into the air for inspections. It's the most beautiful time of year in SC, too, so I'm going a little stir crazy. I'm even beginning to contemplate insuring the 944 so I can run it on the street but... nah that's a little too illegal.

Double Edit: Oh, and here's my first pass recorded on camera, in the rain, in an El Camino, with no windshield wipers, and more than a little sideways. That we only got black flagged twice for sliding too aggressively (me) and spinning (other guy) in that car was "Like no black flags at all" according to the judges. At 3:48:39 if it doesn't load up on time. The car I'm passing was the winner, too, I guess he was just a sissy in the rain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbE9BOsj4-4&feature=youtu.be&t=13719

Anyone own or ridden a Honda grom? My honda moped is fun but I need more speed without really worrying about killing myself. A few friends on facebook have recently got them and i'm now debating getting my Motorcycle license and picking one up. Any other thoughts on a fairly cheap (less than 3k) beginner bike?

Evo X

Anyone own or ridden a Honda grom? My honda moped is fun but I need more speed without really worrying about killing myself. A few friends on facebook have recently got them and i'm now debating getting my Motorcycle license and picking one up. Any other thoughts on a fairly cheap (less than 3k) beginner bike?

You'll have better luck in the Motorcycle Community thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302526

Also, why not just ask your friends that own them?

Thinking of getting an S2000 next year fellas. That might become my track car. Finding a nice one that's relatively unmolested will be hard though.

Good luck lol. It almost seems like depreciation on those has bottomed out and they're appreciating now lol.

Almost impossible to find anything less than 10-12k.

FStop7

Banned
If you do get an S2000 get a 2002 or newer model. They switched the rear window from plastic to glass and IMO the difference is bigger than it seems at first glance.

I would say the sweet spot is a 2002 or 2003 if you want the 2.0L with 9k redline and 2004 or 2005 if you want the 2.3L 8k redline. That's in the USA, specifically.

There's definitely a real difference in torque between the two engines, if it were me I'd look for a 2.3L. But there is something special about watching the tach climb to 9k.

The S2000's shifter is second only to the Porsche GT3.

ZjNbUyS.jpg

Hello, sirs.

I am home.

Congrats! Get what you wanted for the Infiniti (was an Infiniti, wasn't it)?

they both just got the bikes so I was just looking for someone with some more long term experience with them and how long they would be considered *fun* before wanting something with a bit more power/practicality. I'll check out the bike thread though.

It's this one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302526

Offtopic:

The Grom I would only recommend if you have absolutely no experience on motorcycles (and are actually a bit frightened by them), because if that Grom is anything, it is very manageable. If you want to get a bike that'll see you through the first two years of riding motorcycles, I would look for a more 'standard' i.e. normal motorcycle. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 or newer 300 is a very popular bike in the US (as a starter) and, I understand, they keep their resale value very well over there (though the Grom does as well, should you choose to try it anyway). The Ninja 250/300 is a decent bike, and while you will also grow out of that, it will definitely not be as fast as the Grom, I think. The Grom you should see more as an addition to fuck around with every once in a while. Though not something you want to take on the highway for longer trips, obviously.

The very best bike you can buy is a Speed Triple (Triumph). The Street (a 675cc version) is a little more suitable for beginners, though also very powerful. Probably better off with a couple of years of experience before you buy a Triple. What would be good about getting something like the Street Triple to start on, however, is that it is a 'big boy' bike with big boy brakes, tires and suspension, whereas the Ninja has much cheaper equipment in those areas. It works, but not as well as the equipment on a proper bike.

The most fun bike you can buy is a Buell. Any Buell.

matmanx1

Yap, I like it. While I am leaning towards Miata in the future I will definitely be checking out some S2000's as part of that process. I have always had a thing for those cars. Good luck!

ZjNbUyS.jpg

Hello, sirs.

I am home.

Haha, awesome. I love the totally appropriate lens flare. You couldn't have photoshopped it any more perfectly (I know it isn't 'shopped, I'm just saying)

Evo X

981 Spyder with GT4 scoops looks hot.

80-tipup_3f1fc23d8701b8f464f6865b5079961510fac00d.jpg

ZjNbUyS.jpg

Hello, sirs.

I am home.

Congrats! I was looking at those a couple of years back before I decided on the Boxster S. They are great values pre-owned, but it I prefer smaller, lighter cars. It felt like too much of a luxury touring car for my needs. Great exhaust note and engine though.

AlphaSnake

Yes you did! Hahaha.

Congrats! Get what you wanted for the Infiniti (was an Infiniti, wasn't it)?

Sort of. I printed out the exact quote from both their websites and showed them that the PDF says to print and present to dealer. They used NADA on their sites. The Jaguar GM was straight up with me, he said they use NADA to get people in the door and they'll give them the full value of the trade if they're buying a car for MSRP (or MSRP + manufacturer incentives). Essentially, they're making up for overpaying on a trade by charging full value on another product. But I insisted $32K is way too little, and that the Infiniti used car manager is being a bit daft (he only spoke to us over the phone, despite being two steps away in the other dealer).

So I said, it's alright, I'm just going to go home. As I was turning around to leave the office of the GM, he told the Infiniti used manager he's going to handle this on his own. He stops me and says "Arnold, we want your business, but 37K we can't do. We may not even list the car for that much, so what is your absolute minimum?"

I was waiting for this question. Honestly. Because I knew when he asked me I was going to take a purposeful and long dramatic pause. It was literally 10-15 seconds of silence, me pretending to think and calculate. LMAO. So I finally said $35K. And I said, look, there is a bottomline. I have a budget in mind, I want to pay under XXX a month. Add some money to my car, pull some from the XKR, get me to *this number* and we have a deal. While I was talking, that's exactly the deal he was working on...slides the e-pencil quote over to me, and says "shake my hand, mate". And I gladly did.

They told me to bring the car by for service on Thursday, so they can fix the glovebox (apparently when it opens, it has to open softly, and not drop. So they ordered a part for me.) Also, the midsection of the exhaust makes a slight low-pitched buzz at 1600RPM for a split second, it's contacting the heat-shield ever so slightly. The car is almost never in this range though, and it's not perceptible from the outside and barely inside. Anyway, they're gonna fix that. And the A/C is pretty cool, but needs a recharge so they'll cover that. It has 3 months of factory warranty, and my friends told me to bring it back again so they can look over EVERYTHING on the car and replace common failure items before the CPO warranty starts.

Fortunately, everyone in the shop says XKs and XKRs are easily the most reliable Jaguars (specifically the 2011+ 5.0s), they almost never see them with any major issues.

Haha, awesome. I love the totally appropriate lens flare. You couldn't have photoshopped it any more perfectly (I know it isn't 'shopped, I'm just saying)

Hahaha, yeah it looks great. Needs a detail though. The swirls :''(

I want to upload an audioclip of the exhaust. It's vicious. Any suggestions?

Edit: NM. See below.

Haha, those pops at the end are great.

Sort of. I printed out the exact quote from both their websites and showed them that the PDF says to print and present to dealer. They used NADA on their sites. The Jaguar GM was straight up with me, he said they use NADA to get people in the door and they'll give them the full value of the trade if they're buying a car for MSRP (or MSRP + manufacturer incentives). Essentially, they're making up for overpaying on a trade by charging full value on another product. But I insisted $32K is way too little, and that the Infiniti used car manager is being a bit daft (he only spoke to us over the phone, despite being two steps away in the other dealer).

So I said, it's alright, I'm just going to go home. As I was turning around to leave the office of the GM, he told the Infiniti used manager he's going to handle this on his own. He stops me and says "Arnold, we want your business, but 37K we can't do. We may not even list the car for that much, so what is your absolute minimum?"

I was waiting for this question. Honestly. Because I knew when he asked me I was going to take a purposeful and long dramatic pause. It was literally 10-15 seconds of silence, me pretending to think and calculate. LMAO. So I finally said $35K. And I said, look, there is a bottomline. I have a budget in mind, I want to pay under XXX a month. Add some money to my car, pull some from the XKR, get me to *this number* and we have a deal. While I was talking, that's exactly the deal he was working on...slides the e-pencil quote over to me, and says "shake my hand, mate". And I gladly did.

Very nicely done. I'll have to try the 'I'm walking out now' trick the next time I go in for something expensive.

Anion

Audio clip of exhaust...enjoy until the end.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1uMnAcHXo1V

shots fired!

Btw, that's me revving to 3000RPM and then the 4500RPM parked limit.

Oh wow! damn.

You know what to do to your garage now...
Jaguar light up logo, jag flags, UK flag painted ceiling...and walls...go full out man

The first lawyer I called quoted $500 or $550. Quoted me after asking what type of car I have.
Second lawyer quoted $400 and gave me a history of their wins in the same scenario.

Call around for lawyers in the area where you were busted. Phone calls cant hurt.

Yeah Im calling around. Got one to say $400 but he hasn't had much success with younger people. Im still looking around haha. I think I found a good one, just waiting for his response

matmanx1

AlphaSnake

Haha, those pops at the end are great.

Very nicely done. I'll have to try the 'I'm walking out now' trick the next time I go in for something expensive.

Haha thank you. And yes, if you feel like you are reasonable and have merit for what you want...definitely do it. At the very least they WILL make adjustments and push and push to get as close as they can. Their goal is to move a car as fast as possible, a car sitting on their lot takes up space, costs money to keep listed online, and (MOST important) costs them interest for everyday it isn't sold. Most dealers don't outright own the cars on the lot, they are short term bank loans. Usually after 60-90 days, off to the auction they go. I picked mine up 9 days after it made it to their lot.

Gaddam that sounds great.

Thank you!

Oh wow! damn.

You know what to do to your garage now...
Jaguar light up logo, jag flags, UK flag painted ceiling...and walls...go full out man

....I.....uhhh...there's a chance I ordered a British flag already. LMAO. I've become the stereotypical Anglophile Jag owner haven't I?

Sounds amazing. And those pops!

It's so much fun to just listen to it.

AlphaSnake

981 Spyder with GT4 scoops looks hot.

Congrats! I was looking at those a couple of years back before I decided on the Boxster S. They are great values pre-owned, but it I prefer smaller, lighter cars. It felt like too much of a luxury touring car for my needs. Great exhaust note and engine though.

I hear you. Before I bought the car, I did my usual compulsive reading just to see if my first test drive was indeed an accurate recollection. I thought it handled extremely well, waaaaay beyond my expectations, in fact. The car mags pretty much agreed across the board, even guys like Matt Farah. Motor Trend reviewed an XKR-S (which shares a largely similar suspension, with only 30% stiffer spring rates) and said
Atop these Southern California mountain crests, the long Jag doesn’t disappoint and dances as if it were 1500 pounds lighter and 2 feet shorter; it jinks left and right on tight passes with surprising agility, flatness, and surefootedness.
All of the other work in the R-S model went into the stability software and a modified steering knuckle to allow for more camber adjustments - otherwise, the two cars are very, very close in hardware, no major changes were made to the chassis overall. But a few XKR reviews I found praised the handling highly:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xkr

Incredible performance, sports car handling, comfortable ride.

Car and Driver:

We also drove the XKR on the track and can report that it’s well balanced, predictable, and immensely satisfying, especially if you like hanging the tail out. There’s a touch of body roll, but the composure is startling.

After driving it a handful of times, truly the handling characteristics are incredible. "Startling" is a good way of putting it. You have this fairly heavy GT coupe, but it handles like a sports car. What's going on? When I went to test drive the car, I thought "eh, I'll probably still want an F-Type..." but once I was done, I could barely tell a difference. And there was also a lot less unwanted road noise from the car too, than the F-Type. So I knew I had to jump on this opportunity.

SliChillax

After driving it a handful of times, truly the handling characteristics are incredible. "Startling" is a good way of putting it. You have this fairly heavy GT coupe, but it handles like a sports car. What's going on? When I went to test drive the car, I thought "eh, I'll probably still want an F-Type..." but once I was done, I could barely tell a difference. And there was also a lot less unwanted road noise from the car too, than the F-Type. So I knew I had to jump on this opportunity.

Are the rear seats usable?

boltz

Congrats on the new Jag AlphaSnake, it's always an awesome feeling to bring a new car home.

Ok, I’m curious to see what you guys think about a manual tranny versus automatic in my situation. I’ve been looking at the MK7 Golf R, in no small way due to the fact that I can get a DSG with it. As much as I would love to drive a stick again, it would be much easier to have an automatic for the wife. But the wife can be trained, so the bigger sticking point for me is the fact that the DSG is about 0.5 s faster to 60 than the manual is.

Yeah I know in street driving I probably won’t be able to tell the difference, but it bugs me that if I got the manual, I would be driving the slower version of the car. Not to mention that the GTI w/DSG isn’t too far behind at that point. What version would you guys pick up? Would you trade speed for control?

M52B28

Banned
What's the point of trading more fun and control for .05 of 0-60 time, especially if it's going to be driven on the streets primarily?

Go for manual.
------

I'm looking for opinions.

My dad's friend gave me an offer of $1,500 for his 1995 BMW E34 525i.

Here are a few specs/things to consider about the car:

Color: Alpine White

Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Rims: He said he has purchased all new rims for the car. If I'm not mistaken, they are the BMW OEM Rims, so no need to be afraid.

Tires: I'm not sure about the threading, though I suspect that I'll have to replace them soon.

Engine: 200,000m??

Interior: Black Leather - Has two tears. One on the Driver's side seat and one on the rear passenger seat. I'm fairly sure the dash isn't cracked.

Extras: Comes with a nice stereo equipped, and a few other things.

Problems: That I am not completely sure of, but I'll suspect that I'll have some eventually. He mentioned that he's taking the car to the shop to get the plastic rings for the exhaust replaced soon due to it hanging down.

More tidbits:

He sold my dad an E30 325is that is running strong after nearly 6 years after purchasing it.

The car is located in San Francisco, and he only drives it when he's in town. That's the rare thing. He is located back in Missouri, so the car comes out a couple times a month, no more, so I'm guessing it has no more than 200,000 miles on it. He has another BMW E34 (I don't know what type.), but it's manual, black, and in amazing condition, so I'm really confident in purchasing it.

This will be my first car purchase, so I'd love some advice from those who are seasoned with car purchasing. What, in specifics, should I look for? Also, do you think this is a good deal? I haven't seen it in person, but he says that he gets stopped by people while at the gas station over how clean it is.

Evo X

Ok, I’m curious to see what you guys think about a manual tranny versus automatic in my situation. I’ve been looking at the MK7 Golf R, in no small way due to the fact that I can get a DSG with it. As much as I would love to drive a stick again, it would be much easier to have an automatic for the wife. But the wife can be trained, so the bigger sticking point for me is the fact that the DSG is about 0.5 s faster to 60 than the manual is.

Yeah I know in street driving I probably won’t be able to tell the difference, but it bugs me that if I got the manual, I would be driving the slower version of the car. Not to mention that the GTI w/DSG isn’t too far behind at that point. What version would you guys pick up? Would you trade speed for control?

I just drove a GTI for the first time a few days ago. Both DSG and 6 speed.

Go for the manual. It's a lot more engaging and super easy to use in that car. Clutch is very light and shifter is quite short. I'd bet in gear acceleration is identical between the two transmissions. It's just the initial launch that makes the 0-60 faster on DSG, but honestly how often are you going to be beating on your car like that on the street?

No Love

Banned
What's the point of trading more fun and control for .05 of 0-60 time, especially if it's going to be driven on the streets primarily?

Go for manual.
------

Rims: He said he has purchased all new rims for the car. If I'm not mistaken, they are the BMW OEM Rims, so no need to be afraid.

Tires: I'm not sure about the threading, though I suspect that I'll have to replace them soon.

Interior: Black Leather - Has two tears. One on the Driver's side seat and one on the rear passenger seat. I'm fairly sure the dash isn't cracked.

Problems: That I am not completely sure of, but I'll suspect that I'll have some eventually. He mentioned that he's taking the car to the shop to get the plastic rings for the exhaust replaced soon due to it hanging down.

More tidbits:

He sold my dad an E30 325is that is running strong after nearly 6 years after purchasing it.

The car is located in San Francisco, and he only drives it when he's in town. That's the rare thing. He is located back in Missouri, so the car comes out a couple times a month, no more, so I'm guessing it has no more than 200,000 miles on it. He has another BMW E34 (I don't know what type.), but it's manual, black, and in amazing condition, so I'm really confident in purchasing it.

This will be my first car purchase, so I'd love some advice from those who are seasoned with car purchasing. What, in specifics, should I look for? Also, do you think this is a good deal? I haven't seen it in person, but he says that he gets stopped by people while at the gas station over how clean it is.

Buy it. E34's are amazing. I had a 5 spd 525i e34 with 250k+ miles on it and just got my brother an E34 Touring. If you dont want it Ill drive up and buy it lol.

nib95

Banned
Buy it. E34's are amazing. I had a 5 spd 525i e34 with 250k+ miles on it and just got my brother an E34 Touring. If you dont want it Ill drive up and buy it lol.

250k+ miles? Dayum. I didn't even know they could run for that many miles. Was that using the vehicles original engine, transmission etc?

SliChillax

Depends, do your intended passengers have legs?
Rear-Seats1.jpg

Useless but who cares when you have a 5.0 V8 :p

Congrats on the new Jag AlphaSnake, it's always an awesome feeling to bring a new car home.

It depends where you live. I would pick the DSG because traffic is awful where I live so getting a manual is a death sentence. The dsg is also fantastic, quick and responsive so it's not like you're getting a shitty auto. Ignore the "you wont feel 0.5 seconds advantage of the dsg" and simply look at this video of two Caymans (manual vs pdk) having a drag race, the difference is huge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUDIGCt8Zs
You also get an extra gear so car is more fuel efficient while cruising. The Golf is an everyday car so pick whatever is more comfortable to you for a daily driver. Sure the manual is more engaging on a track or winding roads but I would enjoy the dsg as well.

Audio clip of exhaust...enjoy until the end.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1uMnAcHXo1V

shots fired!

Btw, that's me revving to 3000RPM and then the 4500RPM parked limit.

Lmao that's ridiculous.
....ly awesome!

Congrats man!

If you like the feel of driving then definitely go for the manual.

But if all you care about is speed and ease of use then the DSG will work.

I personally love the feel of a manual car, and I've never had an issue with it during stop and go traffic. I've sat in Dallas' worst traffic conditions, I'm talking about 30-45min stop and go sessions and my clutch is still fine and sure my left leg does kinda hurt but situations like that happen like once a month so I'm cool with it.

That said, I've started to get off my high horse and start being okay with automatic cars... as long as they have the ability to change gears yourself. Otherwise, it can go away lol.

AlphaSnake

Are the rear seats usable?

Ehhhhhh...somewhat, but only for very short trips and with very short people (I'm talking 5'2 and under). The rake on the roof in the rear is crazy sharp. What sucks is that a rear-facing baby seat is a massive pain to use. So I won't be able to ride with 3 of us in the car for the first 8 months or so. But once my kid can ride facing forward, the front seat sits comfortably with the baby seat behind it.

Smokey

Ehhhhhh...somewhat, but only for very short trips and with very short people (I'm talking 5'2 and under). The rake on the roof in the rear is crazy sharp. What sucks is that a rear-facing baby seat is a massive pain to use. So I won't be able to ride with 3 of us in the car for the first 8 months or so. But once my kid can ride facing forward, the front seat sits comfortably with the baby seat behind it.

hol up

you an expecting dad?!

Malvolio

I drove the DSG and the manual thoroughly before buying my GTI. I've always opted for manual when it was available, but I have to admit the DSG almost swayed me. It's smooth and effortless. Love the shift pops too. If I was still doing the morning highway commute, I probably would have gone for it, but the manual won out. It's as nice as any of the Hondas I've owned and I was not expecting that. Just one more piece of this car that feels much nicer than I was expecting. The MK7 really outperforms its pricetag.

negitoro7

I went with the DSG on my Golf R, mainly because Vancouver's traffic is horrendous during rush hour. I have S2T paddles on mine and "manual" shifting is a joy with perfect near-instant shifts everytime. By most owner accounts, the manual isn't a very good one in the R, especially if you upgrade it power-wise. I've had two manual cars including my very first car, and I had deposits on two 6MT Rs before finding this one, and I have zero regrets about my decision.

There are two active circle-jerk threads about this dilemma in the MK7 Golf R section of vwvortex, one for each transmission choice. I suggest reading em for some laughs but a lot of good info too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7829353-Manual-owners-do-you-regret-your-choice

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...getting-a-DSG-because-it-s-faster-than-manual

matmanx1

My only reservation on the DSG is the expensive service they require. While I'm sure you could find a independent shop to do it for you for less, VW charges about $750 to do it. And if you don't do it at the specified interval then your DSG is going to start sucking, quickly, to the tune of delayed shifting and generally crappy behavior. I believe this is a 30,000 mile service interval but I could be remembering that wrong.

Having driven a couple of Audi TT's with the same gearbox, when they aren't performing properly it pretty much sucks the fun right out of those cars.

Go for manual.
------

More tidbits:

Sounds like a good deal on what should be a fun and good looking car. Just be aware that any BMW is an expensive BMW when it comes to replacement parts and service. Otherwise, good find!

Top Bottom