• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yet you'll sit here and praise to high heavens a Jaguar 4 cyl that had some extra fuelling overrun in the tune to pop off some weak backfiring/popping?

High heavens? I wrote barely a sentence about it. Not a rant.

What you should do is post a clip and try to show me otherwise.

Bandit1

Great video produced by Petrolicious. Porsche 718 - A Living Legacy.

It features racing driver Derek Bell driving the original 718 that won the Targa Florio in 1960.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y25dYXbr5M

These Petrolicious videos are fantastic, everyone should check them out.

Really, everyone should just do this.

"I own a Miata and am not in my 60s. AMA"

"I own a Mustang and love jumping curbs at my local C&C. AMA."

"I own an 86 and deliver Tofu in the mornings. AMA."

Yeah, I think we should.

I went to court...

And success.

Lowered from 20 over to 5 mph over. The cop was there too. No points on my license. I am happy.

Probably should get some radar thing in the future lol

Congrats man, I had to go through that once.

No Love

Banned
High heavens? I wrote barely a sentence about it. Not a rant.

What you should do is post a clip and try to show me otherwise.

Sorry, I'd never waste your or my time with an audio clip recorded with a garbage mic (99% are) off a phone or camcorder. They just can't capture the full spectrum of a nice exhaust note. I'd probably have to go out and mic up a car to do it justice.

AlphaSnake

Weird, no 2.0 liter petrol AWD.

Which is the sweet spot for all their competitors, including Q50 (f you ignore displacement because Nissan)

2.0 AWD will be available next year once the Ingenium motors are released next year. Most people who want AWD are more likely to buy the F-Pace, also. The F-Pace starts at 41K. An AWD 2.0 XE would cost about $39K.

But in the US the XE will be available with AWD if you get the 2.0D diesel, which rings at $40K.

boltz

I was so tempted to do a honda fit AMA.

A pictures that mirros Evo X's ...but the Fit will be in the garage....

Speaking of Fits, everyone I get a ride in one, the amount of space that Honda put into that car always amazes me, and I can't think of any other car with better packaging. A Fit SI with the new Civic 1.5 turbo would be pretty killer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
2.0 AWD will be available next year once the Ingenium motors are released next year. Most people who want AWD are more likely to buy the F-Pace, also. The F-Pace starts at 41K. An AWD 2.0 XE would cost about $39K.

But in the US the XE will be available with AWD if you get the 2.0D diesel, which rings at $40K.

This is exacerbated in the PNW, where almost everyone who wants a sedan, kinda wants AWD so they don't have to deal with chain restrictions when heading to the slopes.

Speaking of Fits, everyone I get a ride in one, the amount of space that Honda put into that car always amazes me, and I can't think of any other car with better packaging. A Fit SI with the new Civic 1.5 turbo would be pretty killer.

I have a Fit, and the space is excellent. But part of the fun of it is the amount of (what feels like) pent-up Torque available from the little VTEC at low speeds. When you get out on the freeway at 60 it's a noisy piece of shit tho. A gutless vibrating little farce. Exhausting on long road trips.

But for city driving it's the GOAT.

Also the "magic Seats" are a fun gimmick, but you don't really use 'em.

I think there's a trend going on that the developers of turbo motors are making them sound too artificial in their pursuit of a more naturally aspirated engine note. It's distracting because I can practically hear all the tuned passages making the exhaust sound the way it does and it's frankly unnatural.

This trend makes me feel like Gran Turismo's sound effects were never wrong, they were simply ahead of their time.

Lucius86

Banned
Software update for my XF's InControl Touch Pro is getting installed tomorrow by the dealership. Hope it fixes the single biggest flaw - the centre display crashing then rebooting at random moments.

Yo, the 2.0T in the Jaguar XE sounds incredible with just an exhaust. WHAT THE FUCK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBYH9z_Pb2Y&ab_channel=XcentricExhaustSystems

If you think that sounds good, you'd shit yourself if you heard an Evo with a nice exhaust. Lol

I want my Miata to sound like that. =) Hands down, that is one of the best 4 cylinder exhaust noises I have ever heard.

You guys need to chill......this is the best sounding exhaust hands down....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhSlSqdzMw&feature=youtu.be

matmanx1

Real talk... A friend of mine is interested in purchasing a '90 R32 Skyline GTR. Seems like a good deal, low (enough) mileage. Car seems legit.

Should my friend buy one? Or should my friend be talked out of buying one on autogaf because he doesn't need one and it'd probably sit around a lot because he drives other cars and motorcycles and stuff.

Also my friend has a porsche...

friend.

My heart says yes but my brain says no. Does that help? It would be different if you were going to get good use out of it but if it's just going to sit most of the time then.... But hey, it's your dough and your life so definitely do what is best for you.

Holy fuck that's fast. What's the sticker price on the new 911S?

LMAO some people just can't let go. And to think, it's what, 2/3 days later? Too much energy wasted on hating instead of finding ways to improve their situation. Madness.

Anyway, I'm going to be attempting to sell my x6 (again!) today. Wish me luck guys, hopefully nothing goes wrong this time haha! Taking her to the car wash and then to the dealership to be sold.

Come to think of it, I might make a thread just for the hilarity of it all because I know so many people hate x6's anyway (even car enthusiasts) so everyone will automatically assume I'm a douche. "I've owned a TT V8 BMW X6 for the last 3 years, AMA"... *ducks for cover*.

I'll do a write up here once she's gone, it would be rude of me not to!

1) We need to know what happens at the dealership.
2) AutoGAF AMA's should become a regular occurrence in the Off Topic forum. An X6 would be especially delicious.

Yet you'll sit here and praise to high heavens a Jaguar 4 cyl that had some extra fuelling overrun in the tune to pop off some weak backfiring/popping?

I'm going to have to agree with Alpha here. Show me something better and I will get right on that! I've been listening to Miata exhaust options for several days now and none of them sounded as good as that XE did, in my opinion.

I went to court...

And success.

Lowered from 20 over to 5 mph over. The cop was there too. No points on my license. I am happy.

Probably should get some radar thing in the future lol

Congrats! And get the radar!

I call dibs on the Miata AMA!

I'll be helping with that one.

Yes, you win. I am ashamed I ever thought differently.

Just sounds like an s4 with the resonators removed. :shrug:

Those low rev shift points are always a downer imo. I've always been a sucker for the b-series high revvers with a mugen twinloop. Can't beat 8k/9k 4 bangers when it comes to screaming exhaust notes.

Back in the days....I had Spoon headers, spoon bpipe, spoon N1 exhaust and Tr1 resonated test pipe on my integra type R. It was magical sounding, you could hear it from a few blocks away...I had no shame...

Stinkles

Back in the days....I had Spoon headers, spoon bpipe, spoon N1 exhaust and Tr1 resonated test pipe on my integra type R. It was magical sounding, you could hear it from a few blocks away...I had no shame...

I'm literally rocking this on my 49cc Ruckus.

6ct0N2B.jpg

AlphaSnake

Software update for my XF's InControl Touch Pro is getting installed tomorrow by the dealership. Hope it fixes the single biggest flaw - the centre display crashing then rebooting at random moments.

Yeah, I know Jaguar's pushing updates for them already. The F-Pace and XF with the dual displays have been delayed in the US for that reason. They officially go on sale end of May.

Btw, did you get the nifty Growler keychains after buying your car? I just got a second one. I thought it was for my XKR - but the letter thanked me for getting the XF. Haha

A pictures that mirros Evo X's ...but the Fit will be in the garage....

Heh, I need to find/take a pic with all the Mazda's that my house has lol. If I'm thinking correctly, it should be pretty funny.

This trend makes me feel like Gran Turismo's sound effects were never wrong, they were simply ahead of their time.

Fuuuuuuuu.

I don't wanna live in a world where cars sound like washing machines.

Heh, as a trombone player I've always thought of doing something like this. The best thing I ever did during a trombone drive-by was play La Cucaracha when I skipped marching band in high school.

I'll be helping with that one.

Hahaha awesome. I think I'll wait a week or two before posting my Miata AMA. Let it cool down for a bit and bring it back lolol.

AlphaSnake

Just sounds like an s4 with the resonators removed. :shrug:

Those low rev shift points are always a downer imo. I've always been a sucker for the b-series high revvers with a mugen twinloop. Can't beat 8k/9k 4 bangers when it comes to screaming exhaust notes.

S4 or A4? The S4s are all V6s. This is a 2.0T 4-banger.

If A4, the B8 A4 2.0T still sounds so flat and dull with an exhaust unless you start deleting other things, and even still...rather boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1vMcLOIP0&ab_channel=REVOUSA

The droning from straight pipe at certain RPMs on the highway are the worst part about it (and why I don't do it anymore lol). Sounds gnarly when you want it but when you don't you can't turn it off.

S4 or A4? The S4s are all V6s. This is a 2.0T 4-banger.

If A4, the B8 A4 2.0T still sounds so flat and dull with an exhaust unless you start deleting other things, and even still...rather boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1vMcLOIP0&ab_channel=REVOUSA

Yea, I was thinking s4 not the a4. A4 sounds close but like you said, on the flat side with just a exhaust/resonator delete.

Then can I make a "help I have 6 cars and only one barely works please donate AMA"?

Anion

But for kicks, have a Porsche in the garage. Make this a gaf thing

Laws00

Can you guys tell me the appeal of Audi cars?

Are they better then BMWs?

Looking into the brand of the next car I might want to purchase.

AlphaSnake

I wonder how people would react to a:

"I own two Jaguars. A 2016 XF and an XKR. AMA!"

Nevermind me, actually...if Mashoutposse posted a:

"I own a Lamborghini Murcielago and a BMW M4, I used to own TWO Ferrari F430s and an M4. AMA"

The forum would probably shit itself with DB errors. There would be enough salt to melt the north pole and cause tidal waves to erase geography.

Evo X

I wonder how people would react to a:

"I own two Jaguars. A 2016 XF and an XKR. AMA!"

Nevermind me, actually...if Mashoutposse posted a:

"I own a Lamborghini Murcielago and a BMW M4, I used to own TWO Ferrari F430s and an M4. AMA"

The forum would probably shit itself with DB errors. There would be enough salt to melt the north pole and cause tidal waves to erase geography.

Nah, that's too obvious.

I like shin's idea. Start a thread about the Honda Fit, but have the Lambo in the background.

Then you should start one about a lawnmower and have both Jags in the back. lol

Maybe start one about my friends Honda Grom and have his Atom in the back.

Another friend's wife has a Honda Odyssey, and we can put his 991 Targa S and 458 Speciale in the pics.

This can be the beginning of a a whole new trend of troll and salt.

AlphaSnake

Nah, that's too obvious.

I like shin's idea. Start a thread about the Honda Fit, but have the Lambo in the background.

Another friend's wife has a Honda Odyssey, and we can put his 991 Targa S and 458 Speciale in the pics.

LMAO. I think the focus of background object trolling is pretty ace, actually. But we'd so get banned in a heartbeat. All of us. And this thread likely shut down. Hahahaha.

#RIP OG NBA-Age

Anion

Nah, that's too obvious.

This has to be done lmaoooooooo 😂

It's all too good. Especially the Honda fit one hahaha

LMAO. I think the focus of background object trolling is pretty ace, actually. But we'd so get banned in a heartbeat. All of us. And this thread likely shut down. Hahahaha.

#RIP OG NBA-Age
It will be a ban all too worth it
Evo has left an impression that will last a while haha

Evo X

#RIP OG NBA-Age

Noooooo! For real?

Because I just found the perfect pics for a starting off point. ;(

93B4CD4B-4564-42D0-AF2B-3F11DF006123_zpsbiblbkep.jpg

AD0DCCC4-472B-4FBD-8B7A-B206A9946E91_zpsfdp8yocf.jpg

Anion

On a side note. Seems these tires need to be replaced...

My father is hilariously cheap when it comes to replacing tires, but this time it was a bit too much. Literally can see the threads lol

Lucius86

Banned
Yeah, I know Jaguar's pushing updates for them already. The F-Pace and XF with the dual displays have been delayed in the US for that reason. They officially go on sale end of May.

Btw, did you get the nifty Growler keychains after buying your car? I just got a second one. I thought it was for my XKR - but the letter thanked me for getting the XF. Haha

Jag gone for the day, feel like I've lost my soul already :(

As for the keychains, I don't think so. Here are my set:

Stinkles

On a side note. Seems these tires need to be replaced...

My father is hilariously cheap when it comes to replacing tires, but this time it was a bit too much. Literally can see the threads lol

I don't know how hilarious it would be if he killed someone at an otherwise simple stop...

Ty4on

Fuck, top of the page. Here, have an XJ220:
Nah, that's too obvious.

lol
That amazing. I like the idea of making it about anything like the lawnmower. It'd be fun with a "Don't you hate bluetooth audio?" and then have a picture of the phone connected to an expensive car.

matmanx1

Can you guys tell me the appeal of Audi cars?

Are they better then BMWs?

Looking into the brand of the next car I might want to purchase.

Funny you ask that. The General Manager of Momentum Motorcars and I had a conversation about Audi vs BMW on Saturday when I went to pick up the Miata. This is a guy who has owned just about every make and model and changes cars frequently and sees all of them in his business on a regular basis.

Momentum does a little bit of everything but I would say their specialty is luxury sport and while I was there I saw them pull out a 991 911S Targa for someone to test drive. They also has a lot of Mercs, BMW's, Audi's, and Jaguar/Land Rover products.

Anyway, I told him I was trading in the 128i and told me that he used to be a big BMW guy but the last couple of years they had gone more towards the mass market appliance and had lost some character and appeal. He also said most of the BMW's they get have annoying issues that are all at least $500 a pop to fix (don't I know it!) and for those reasons he had become more of an Audi/ Mercedes guy with a preference towards Audi.

His current daily driver is an A5 2.0T and he's been very satisfied with it and had no issues in a couple of years of ownership. That's anecdotal, of course, but it does line up with what Consumer Reports has been saying recently about Audi and the fact that they have been on a reliability uptrend.

Of course, on average, an Audi or Merc is still not going to be as engaging to drive as a BMW although that gap is shrinking.

Nah, that's too obvious.

Hilarious. I need to find someone with a nice $100k+ luxury car and go park my 12 year old GX470 behind it to take a picture for an AMA. "Hey guys, here's how to buy reliability, utility and luxury for less than 10 grand. AMA!"

h1nch

Funny you ask that. The General Manager of Momentum Motorcars and I had a conversation about Audi vs BMW on Saturday when I went to pick up the Miata. This is a guy who has owned just about every make and model and changes cars frequently and sees all of them in his business on a regular basis.

Momentum does a little bit of everything but I would say their specialty is luxury sport and while I was there I saw them pull out a 991 911S Targa for someone to test drive. They also has a lot of Mercs, BMW's, Audi's, and Jaguar/Land Rover products.

Anyway, I told him I was trading in the 128i and told me that he used to be a big BMW guy but the last couple of years they had gone more towards the mass market appliance and had lost some character and appeal. He also said most of the BMW's they get have annoying issues that are all at least $500 a pop to fix (don't I know it!) and for those reasons he had become more of an Audi/ Mercedes guy with a preference towards Audi.

His current daily driver is an A5 2.0T and he's been very satisfied with it and had no issues in a couple of years of ownership. That's anecdotal, of course, but it does line up with what Consumer Reports has been saying recently about Audi and the fact that they have been on a reliability uptrend.

Of course, on average, an Audi or Merc is still not going to be as engaging to drive as a BMW although that gap is shrinking.

Hilarious. I need to find someone with a nice $100k+ luxury car and go park my 12 year old GX470 behind it to take a picture for an AMA. "Hey guys, here's how to buy reliability, utility and luxury for less than 10 grand. AMA!"

As someone who went from an E90 335i to an F30 335i, I can somewhat agree with this sentiment. It was very clear that they made a conscious decision to appeal to casual drivers, or people who care more about comfort and bells/whistles vs raw driving feel. My 2014 is slightly less sure-footed, and the steering feel is much softer and closer to the competition.

That said, the current F30 is still one of my fav sports sedans to drive. I recently had a 2016 3 series loaner and it had a noticeable improvement in steering feel so it seems that the've at least tried to make improvements to the existing platform.

The 2017 A4 seems to have made a massive leap in interior tech and design. They took some of the nicer design cues from the F30 and improved upon them 100x. I haven't driven one so I can't really compare. I'm hoping my buddy bites the bullet and picks one up.

I still much prefer the F30 exterior, but I'm a BMW zealot so I'm partial to their style.

Gaf, I have a limited budget of $12,000-$14,000 (approx. $15,500 -17,500 Canadian Dollars) to buy a reliable four door mid sized, used sedan.

What do you recommended? Of course I want something with minimal mileage, and the newer the car the better (ie: 2013-2015 models)

I'll even consider lease/finance options for brand new cars, (in Canada)

Gaf, I have a limited budget of $12,000-$14,000 (approx. $15,500 -17,500 Canadian Dollars) to buy a reliable four door mid sized, used sedan.

What do you recommended? Of course I want something with minimal mileage, and the newer the car the better (ie: 2013-2015 models)

I'll even consider lease/finance options for brand new cars, (in Canada)

"Gaming GAF I have $40, what video game should I get? I'd like an action game that is fun."

The best way to start with a car search is look what's out there in your price range, do a little research about each, pick a few that you like and go test drive them. If you have questions about them, we'll help you out, but your question is extraordinarily broad due to the number of cars available. (Search on cars.com for $12,000-$14,000 sedans)

"What car should I buy" is just about the worst question you can ask a car guy. Not only do we have no idea what you want, but what we think is good is probably not what you think is good.

Alternate answer: Buy a beige Toyota.

Anion

Looks like you need to get him together with an alignment too

Yeah Im suspecting this tire also has quality issues since the front left tire was the only one that wore prematurly like this. The front right was worn, but no where near as bad. Both front wore on the outer sides though.

The rears were perfect. Which is odd considering it splits 45/55 front/rear on normal conditions.

I don't know how hilarious it would be if he killed someone at an otherwise simple stop...

Tire blowout was my major worry when I saw it. Luckily nothing happened. Pressure in the tire didnt budge even with the threads showing, which is somewhat crazy to me.

"Gaming GAF I have $40, what video game should I get? I'd like an action game that is fun."

The best way to start with a car search is look what's out there in your price range, do a little research about each, pick a few that you like and go test drive them. If you have questions about them, we'll help you out, but your question is extraordinarily broad due to the number of cars available. (Search on cars.com for $12,000-$14,000 sedans)

"What car should I buy" is just about the worst question you can ask a car guy. Not only do we have no idea what you want, but what we think is good is probably not what you think is good.

Alternate answer: Buy a beige Toyota.

Fair enough, I have actually narrowed it down to 3 different cars.

1) A 2014-2015 Ford Fusion, (fully loaded/higher trim)
2) 2015 Hyndai Sonata, fully loaded "sport" option
3) The one I really want, but it is significantly pricier than the first two, 2014 Mazda 6, (about 5 grand over my budget)

Looks like the funnest out of the three, not sure about reliability, where are 2014 Mazda 6 made? Mexico or Japan? how is it compared to performance to the other two?

I like the interior of the Mazda much more than the other two, also overall it may be funner to drive, etc.

But apparently the Hyndai offers a very smooth and quiet cabin ride with an awesome panoramic glass roof, which Mazda doesn't. What Say you Gaf?

Exokell

Banned
Well I totaled my Mazda 3. Anyway I saw a second hand Infiniti q50 premium for 24k with 25k miles on it? Or should I look into other cars.

Top Bottom