• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Dropped my GT4 off for service and brought back the new 2017 3.0TT 911.

Sales manager set it aside for me. Most people only have a choice of a base Macan, Cayenne, or Panamera as loaners, but he likes to have something more special for GT clients.

That's some customer service! Gonna drive the wheels off this thing over the weekend.

Should I start an AMA? lol

3hSKwoO.jpg

Anion

Sales manager set it aside for me. Most people only have a choice of a base Macan, Cayenne, or Panamera as loaners, but he likes to have something more special for GT clients.

That's some customer service! Gonna drive the wheels off this thing over the weekend.

3hSKwoO.jpg

But this time put a Ferrari or two in the garage lmaooo

Pterion

The AMA joke stopped being funny a while ago. Time to move on? No offense Evo X, but you like showing off and boasting and that's fine but not everyone is going to enjoy it seeing rubbed in their face, and it's not because we're all lazy peasants. I say this as someone who's about to sign a job contract worth close to 7 figs a year... Nice rides though.

Looks like the funnest out of the three, not sure about reliability, where are 2014 Mazda 6 made? Mexico or Japan? how is it compared to performance to the other two?

I like the interior of the Mazda much more than the other two, also overall it may be funner to drive, etc.

But apparently the Hyndai offers a very smooth and quiet cabin ride with an awesome panoramic glass roof, which Mazda doesn't. What Say you Gaf?

No experience with the Fusion but I've got a lot with the Sonata during an 8 hour trip and the Mazda6.

Sport mode on these cars just makes the engine louder and holds the revs longer, it doesn't have adjustable suspension or anything of that sort. It's basically a bullshit button imo and is more useful on automatic cars.

The Sonata is nice, if you want a Camry alternative. It drives really smooth, suspension feels very comfortable and the interior space is pretty yuge. But it has no sporting characteristics whatsoever. It's basically like an appliance.

The Mazda6 is a super fun car... especially since it's the only econobox midsize sedan that actually has real sporting characteristics. The interior is definitely much nicer than every econobox midsize out there and it looks gorgeous imo, especially the on in GT trim. As for your question, Mazda6's are still built in Japan(only the lower trimmed Mazda3's are built in Mexico) and are still pretty damn reliable.

Basically, if you want an appliance get the Sonata but if you want a fun car to drive the Mazda6 is the answer.

No Love

Banned
The AMA joke stopped being funny a while ago. Time to move on? No offense Evo X, but you like showing off and boasting and that's fine but not everyone is going to enjoy it seeing rubbed in their face, and it's not because we're all lazy peasants. I say this as someone who's about to sign a job contract worth close to 7 figs a year... Nice rides though.

Shots fired!!! 😱 😵 😄 GAF gunslingers straight blastin' this Friday the 13th

Evo X

Relax bro. No one actually made another AMA thread and that Tesla one is the only time I really discussed cars outside of here.

Good luck with the new job.

Pterion

Coolio. Nothing personal, just thought I'd share my 2 cents on the whole "hehehe, let's rile up non-auto GAF". Sorry for the thread derail. Now back to car talk.

Fair enough, I have actually narrowed it down to 3 different cars.

1) A 2014-2015 Ford Fusion, (fully loaded/higher trim)
2) 2015 Hyndai Sonata, fully loaded "sport" option
3) The one I really want, but it is significantly pricier than the first two, 2014 Mazda 6, (about 5 grand over my budget)

Looks like the funnest out of the three, not sure about reliability, where are 2014 Mazda 6 made? Mexico or Japan? how is it compared to performance to the other two?

I like the interior of the Mazda much more than the other two, also overall it may be funner to drive, etc.

But apparently the Hyndai offers a very smooth and quiet cabin ride with an awesome panoramic glass roof, which Mazda doesn't. What Say you Gaf?

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the fusion or sonata(or most hyundais). Both were kind of bland, and I don't really like hyundai interiors, they just feel so cheap to me. Although I haven't driven one since the 2013 models, so they could have changed. Out of those I'd get the mazda, but like you said its out of your budget.

Do you need a car that big? Because you could always look at a focus or mazda 3 of the same year, which would be more in your budget.

Don't know if you've driven anything else, but there's always the nissan altima or sentra, honda civic or accord, or toyota something.

Shit is crazy, usually see that kind of fire spit in the Android thread. Friday the 13th has everyone worked up.

Personally, I wish there were more people who had older cars/talked about them instead of the constant porsche/bmw/highend talk with a sprinkling of miatas. I don't mind it, but since a majority of those types of vehicles don't interest me, I find it hard to really engage with the conversation.

Smokey

Personally, I wish there were more people who had older cars/talked about them instead of the constant porsche/bmw/highend talk with a sprinkling of miatas. I don't mind it, but since a majority of those types of vehicles don't interest me, I find it hard to really engage with the conversation.

start asking questions/conversating about the car that you have? what do you own?

Anion

I feel like its that time of the year to have people show all sorts of autos they have in this thread. I've been reading this thread for a while and I only know of a few cars that get posted

Im just honestly curious. And tell us the story associated with when/how/why you got it or something interesting and funny.

And it doesnt have to be a new car or expensive one. More variety, the more interesting this thread gets.

ascii42

I feel like its that time of the year to have people show all sorts of autos they have in this thread. I've been reading this thread for a while and I only know of a few cars that get posted

Im just honestly curious. And tell us the story associated with when/how/why you got it or something interesting and funny.

And it doesnt have to be a new car or expensive one. More variety, the more interesting this thread gets.

Well, along with the Cadillac ATS I bought earlier this year, I also own a 1976 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, which I've had since 2008, and a 1989 Buick Riviera, which I bought on eBay in 2011.

I drove a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in high school, and since then have had a love for old land yachts. For part of college, I drove the family Volvo 960 wagon. My dad wanted to get me something cool as a "thanks for getting scholarships" present, and found the Olds online. Went to check it out and knew I needed it.

When I was a kid, my grandmother had an early 90s Toronado, which had a CRT touchscreen. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. By 2011, I already had the Olds and a 2010 Chevy Malibu, but for some reason I went on eBay, searching for Rivieras (which had the touchscreen first). Found a 1989 model, which is nice, because it was the only year with the updated body style that still had the screen. I like the Toronado's screen better (more advanced, and color, well, more than just green), but figured I already had an Olds, and hadn't had a Buick yet.

It's actually kind of difficult to take a good picture of the Olds. It's over 19' long, so you have to get pretty far back.

UFO

Banned

I just bought a GTI about a week ago. '99, $1000, straight cash! Who's balling now evox? ;) It's my 3rd car currently, along with a Ram and a Miata. Been wanting to sell the Miata, but i just got it running again, and it's such a fantastic little ride.

No Love

Banned

Well if you don't mind old BMWs, I will start posting up interesting ones I either flip or come across. Going to pick up a mint E39 this weekend... will post how she turns out.

Bandit1

start asking questions/conversating about the car that you have? what do you own?

He's posted his car a few times, a really, really clean Honda CRX and also a Prelude maybe, if I remember right.

Well, along with the Cadillac ATS I bought earlier this year, I also own a 1976 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, which I've had since 2008, and a 1989 Buick Riviera, which I bought on eBay in 2011.

I drove a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in high school, and since then have had a love for old land yachts. For part of college, I drove the family Volvo 960 wagon. My dad wanted to get me something cool as a "thanks for getting scholarships" present, and found the Olds online. Went to check it out and knew I needed it.

When I was a kid, my grandmother had an early 90s Toronado, which had a CRT touchscreen. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. By 2011, I already had the Olds and a 2010 Chevy Malibu, but for some reason I went on eBay, searching for Rivieras (which had the touchscreen first). Found a 1989 model, which is nice, because it was the only year with the updated body style that still had the screen. I like the Toronado's screen better (more advanced, and color, well, more than just green), but figured I already had an Olds, and hadn't had a Buick yet.

It's actually kind of difficult to take a good picture of the Olds. It's over 19' long, so you have to get pretty far back.

I dig your Ninety-Eight! My dad had a 1963 Cadillac Sedan DeVille a couple years ago, with the 390 V8. It was a 4 door but it was a hardtop which was cool. After that he had another Cadillac that was I believe an 87 Fleetwood Brougham, probably a lot like yours. I like driving the big cars, sort of feels like you own the road lol

I've posted up my cars and other projects a few times, but that usually shifts conversation for 4-5 posts and then back to high-end fest.

Well if you don't mind old BMWs, I will start posting up interesting ones I either flip or come across. Going to pick up a mint E39 this weekend... will post how she turns out.

I don't mind old anything lol. The more old cars on the road, the better. No real love for the drive by wire performance cars of the modern era. Sure some pique my interest, but mostly from an aesthetic stand point.

Fucking fuck, I think the alternator in my Miata is shot. Was fine this morning, but when I was driving home tonight I noticed the battery light on my dash was on, indicating some kind of charge issue.

Stopped to meet a friend, and started up fine after 2 hours chatting with him. On my drive home (night time), the interior and exterior lights were extremely dim. Quite scary as I had the top down and was on the freeway. As I pulled onto my street I could feel cylinders not firing or misfiring and barely made it up the driveway.

Faaaaaaack now the battery is dead

TCRS

Banned

3hSKwoO.jpg

hnnnggg

my dream car. post more pics please. interior as well.

also guys, it's perfectly fine to post old cars. I'm currently driving this pos:

d6bxKob.jpg

costing me so much money and I think the fuel tank is leaking or something, I always smell gas. also the engine is fucked and keeps drinking cooling liquid and engine oil and loses power at 100-120 kph and above 3000 rpm lmao. what a pos. but I ain't got no money right now. and it's my first +1.4l car. it actually has a 2l engine, it's nice to have a little power.

We're around, its just the high end car owners post the most.

I mean here's two of my awesome cars. #loweringpropertyvalues
20151225_142417.jpg

Fucking fuck, I think the alternator in my Miata is shot. Was fine this morning, but when I was driving home tonight I noticed the battery light on my dash was on, indicating some kind of charge issue.

Stopped to meet a friend, and started up fine after 2 hours chatting with him. On my drive home (night time), the interior and exterior lights were extremely dim. Quite scary as I had the top down and was on the freeway. As I pulled onto my street I could feel cylinders not firing or misfiring and barely made it up the driveway.

Faaaaaaack now the battery is dead

ugh, know that feeling. Had the same thing happen to my prelude a couple of years ago. Luckily I was close to home when it happened.

In old car news, I was looking on craigslist for a cheap ass summer runner and came across this little guy:

Honda ACTY said:

Seriously debating whether to go take a look. I want to just to see one in person but at the same time don't want to be tempted to buy something I don't need.

Evo X

Guys. The new 911 is flipping fast.

Just did some 60-140mph runs(on a closed course obviously >_>) against my friends 550HP supercharged E39 M5 and the cars were neck and neck when I was in Sport Plus over boost mode.

And this is the BASE model. Still have S, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S above this. Lord Almighty.

Also, the new 2017 Apple Carplay infotainment interface is way better than the shit they put in my car. Higher resolution, faster, more intuitive, more responsive, and more features. Just all around one of the best units I've every used.

fritolay

Took my son in secondary school out to look at cars.

• Mercedez - Did not care for any, 30k to 90k+
  • He did not like the Challenger at all
  • The new Camaro was one of his favorites
  • $75k Corvette he liked more than Camaro
  • I asked him to guess the price of a Caddilac CTV, he said 20k? It was 55k.
  • He thought the Caddilac SUV was very ugly, and laughed at the $88k price.
  • His favorite of all the vehicales, was the new Dodge Chager. $40k Skat Pack model.
I thought the 2016 Camaro looked much better in person.

TTTR

Guys. The new 911 is flipping fast.

Just did some 60-140mph runs(on a closed course obviously >_>) against my friends 550HP supercharged E39 M5 and the cars were neck and neck when I was in Sport Plus over boost mode.

And this is the BASE model. Still have S, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S above this. Lord Almighty.

Also, the new 2017 Apple Carplay infotainment interface is way better than the shit they put in my car. Higher resolution, faster, more intuitive, more responsive, and more features. Just all around one of the best units I've every used.
Do you like the sound? Does you model come with SAGA?

In old car news, I was looking on craigslist for a cheap ass summer runner and came across this little guy:

Seriously debating whether to go take a look. I want to just to see one in person but at the same time don't want to be tempted to buy something I don't need.

Man, I want a kei van/truck so bad, I just don't have money or space.

Anyone want to buy an old mercedes from me. $400, some assembly required.

That looks like a fun car! I drove it's competitor from Suzuki (Suzuki Carry) for a few months right after uni. Good times. 0.8l I think...

ViciousDS

Banned
Got insanely lucky. My Ford focus was having trans issues......15 weeks LATER they still don't have the part for it. This car has an insane amount of trans issues reported from 2012-2014....my buddies and everyone just said trade it in now. I wasn't really happy with the car. I was fortunate to pay it off in a year and own it. So I checked out a WRX and was a little pricy for my taste. Plus all the stock they had was sold lol. They look so mean and I want one. But even if I wanted to pay that price they said delivery on the car is like 3-5 months.....holy shit!

There was this really sleak black looking 2016 impreza in the show room. Had some awesome features, heated seats, heated windshield wipers, heated side mirrors. Sport premium impreza hatch. I loved the look, good mpg and the front still looks pretty mean with the fog lights being there.

I got 9k for that piece of shit 2014 focus with hail damage and a damaged side skirt......I fucking jumped for joy when they gave me that much back. I only financed 14 for the focus.....so yes, great deal. $150 a month for the impreza sport and I couldn't be happier. Insanely roomy, drives wwwaaayyyyy smoother and has more features than I know what to do with. Also back up cam.....I giddy and laugh every time my screen lights up lol. My 2014 focus didn't even have power windows for all 4. I don't think after dealing with support at Ford.......I will probably never ever buy one again. They lost me and my family as customers. The car shook on take off, and at times felt like it was going to die. They never offered a courtesy car and just have no care for getting my part it seems.

So long Ford.....Subaru owner here now!

Those crosstreks looks really sleek too .......even if they are an impreza 3 inches higher off the ground.

Man, I want a kei van/truck so bad, I just don't have money or space.

I've personally wanted a kei-car for a loooong time. I really want an Acty Truck though (maybe even a step van), since i'll never be able to afford a T360 truck.

A blue one with the bug eye headlights. This way I can throw my express mopeds in the back and take em to long beach and cruise em.

So much want.

I recently imported a Toyota Chaser from Japan.

13117979_1246394128719256_531578886_n.jpg

I've always been into the "golden era" of Japanese drifting, and I remember watching Japanese Option video magazine when I was in grade school. I didn't understand a word, but I loved seeing all of the different cars sliding around various tracks (Mountains, and streets).

I've always had a soft spot for these four door cars, and decided to do something about it for a new project car. Who wouldn't like a straight 6 1JZ turbo engine, tied to a rear wheel drive car??!

ViciousDS

Banned

13117979_1246394128719256_531578886_n.jpg

I've always been into the "golden era" of Japanese drifting, and I remember watching Japanese Option video magazine when I was in grade school. I didn't understand a word, but I loved seeing all of the different cars sliding around various tracks (Mountains, and streets).

I've always had a soft spot for these four door cars, and decided to do something about it for a new project car. Who wouldn't like a straight 6 1JZ turbo engine, tied to a rear wheel drive car??!

Wow, condition looks great. Surprised with you looking at all those magazines you never stashed an AE86 somewhere lol

Canada? Really jealous of that 15 year exempt rule.

I used to and still watch the best motoring videos. They usually have a fair share on honda's and have no problems beating the piss out of them.

That chaser looks super cool though. I remember seeing a few of the soarers with the aero top being sold a while ago. Those things are super rad. The "boom" years in Japan were really amazing, so many dope cars from almost every manufacturer.

Evo X

hnnnggg

my dream car. post more pics please. interior as well.

Sure, here's a few I snapped today. The biggest differences from the 991.1 visually are the new front facsia, 3D tail lights, rear engine vent area, and quad exhaust tips. Inside is mostly unchanged apart from the new 918 style steering wheel with mode selector/overboost along with new infotainment.

A3fPHPh.jpg

Di0L92G.jpg

O33CHAi.jpg

yViBsqC.jpg

cn7Nhbq.jpg

Th8PM0w.jpg

"Why aren't you successful enough yet for a Ferrari?"

-Evo X's Mom

Oh fuck, lol! This will never get old.

Screw both of you. lol

Do you like the sound? Does you model come with SAGA?

Unfortunately, this car wasn't specced with the Sports Exhaust so it is very quite. Under full acceleration you still get some of that flat 6 noise with a little bit of turbo whooshing, but it is muted for sure.

What is SAGA?

TCRS

Banned
hmm I'm not sure I like that grey tbh. Maybe with other wheels.

saw the new E Class yesterday. looked exactly the same as the C Class if it wasn't for the badge. congratulation Mercedes, your family design is worse than Audis now.

TTTR

Unfortunately, this car wasn't specced with the Sports Exhaust so it is very quite. Under full acceleration you still get some of that flat 6 noise with a little bit of turbo whooshing, but it is muted for sure.

What is SAGA?
Gorgeous pictures! is the exterior color agate grey?

SAGA is the abbreviation for Sportabgasanlage, the german word for sports exhaust. i thought it was used worldwide.

kharma45

hmm I'm not sure I like that grey tbh. Maybe with other wheels.

saw the new E Class yesterday. looked exactly the same as the C Class if it wasn't for the badge. congratulation Mercedes, your family design is worse than Audis now.

It's a shame they've made them all look so similar. Interior looks lovely, and the 220d we get here looks impressive for what it is. 150mph, 62mph in 7.3sec, 72mpg and 102g/km.

Top Bottom