• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Man, I want a kei van/truck so bad, I just don't have money or space.

Japanese Classics has an Mazda/Autozam Scrum on sale for $8k.

I'm personally wanting a supercharged Toyota Previa for shits and giggles lol.

I recently imported a Toyota Chaser from Japan.

13117979_1246394128719256_531578886_n.jpg

I've always been into the "golden era" of Japanese drifting, and I remember watching Japanese Option video magazine when I was in grade school. I didn't understand a word, but I loved seeing all of the different cars sliding around various tracks (Mountains, and streets).

I've always had a soft spot for these four door cars, and decided to do something about it for a new project car. Who wouldn't like a straight 6 1JZ turbo engine, tied to a rear wheel drive car??!

Man, now I really want Trump to be president. It'll give me a reason to move up to USA's hat and start enjoying the 15 year import rule instead of the BS we've got over here.

Guy can afford a Tesla, 911, and an expensive ass Cayman but he can't buy gas for his poor Porsches.

Smh.

I'm obviously trolling lol.

Evo X

Guy can afford a Tesla, 911, and an expensive ass Cayman but he can't buy gas for his poor Porsches.

Smh.

lol. The car had a full tank of gas 24 hours prior to that picture. I've just been beating the shit out of it so the range plummeted.

Anion

Lol that is why I tell everyone to stay away from demos

So a few more days and then I get to drive the first exotic car in my life for 30 mins

I hope it isn't anticlimactic lol

ViciousDS

Banned
Japanese Classics has an Mazda/Autozam Scrum on sale for $8k.

I'm personally wanting a supercharged Toyota Previa for shits and giggles lol.

Man, now I really want Trump to be president. It'll give me a reason to move up to USA's hat and start enjoying the 15 year import rule instead of the BS we've got over here.

Smh.

Barrington.......every time I go to the iPiC there its nothing but mommies boys and girls. All get fucking handed everything in their life and have piss poor attitudes when someone stands up to them. God I hate that shopping district.

Evo.....don't spoil your kids bro!!! You live less than an hour away! I'll come beat your ass!

matmanx1

start asking questions/conversating about the car that you have? what do you own?

I feel like its that time of the year to have people show all sorts of autos they have in this thread. I've been reading this thread for a while and I only know of a few cars that get posted

Im just honestly curious. And tell us the story associated with when/how/why you got it or something interesting and funny.

And it doesnt have to be a new car or expensive one. More variety, the more interesting this thread gets.

Absolutely. Post all your cars! And give us your car stories (or truck, or whatever!)

Fucking fuck, I think the alternator in my Miata is shot. Was fine this morning, but when I was driving home tonight I noticed the battery light on my dash was on, indicating some kind of charge issue.

Stopped to meet a friend, and started up fine after 2 hours chatting with him. On my drive home (night time), the interior and exterior lights were extremely dim. Quite scary as I had the top down and was on the freeway. As I pulled onto my street I could feel cylinders not firing or misfiring and barely made it up the driveway.

Faaaaaaack now the battery is dead

Ouch man, but I'm glad you made it home.

Wow, condition looks great. Surprised with you looking at all those magazines you never stashed an AE86 somewhere lol

It's funny... I never really gravitated to the Hachi-Roku. S Chassis were my jam back in the day (180SX)...

Canada? Really jealous of that 15 year exempt rule.

I used to and still watch the best motoring videos. They usually have a fair share on honda's and have no problems beating the piss out of them.

That chaser looks super cool though. I remember seeing a few of the soarers with the aero top being sold a while ago. Those things are super rad. The "boom" years in Japan were really amazing, so many dope cars from almost every manufacturer.

Correct, I'm in Canada... The rule used to be 10 years, till the auto manufacturers lobbied to get it changed to 15. I was rather pissed when it went down, but what can you do. They are still trying to get RHD cars off the roads (but that's another story).

I remember those "Best of Motoring" series videos. It was amazing when they started to translate them for the western market. The Touge battles were the issues that were a "must purchase" for me.

It's a shame that the "boom" years are over, but I'm excited to have the chance to tinker with one from that era.

HAHA Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to wait all that time... If I were living in America, I think I'd have a "grey import" by now.

I've always been into the "golden era" of Japanese drifting, and I remember watching Japanese Option video magazine when I was in grade school. I didn't understand a word, but I loved seeing all of the different cars sliding around various tracks (Mountains, and streets).

I've always had a soft spot for these four door cars, and decided to do something about it for a new project car. Who wouldn't like a straight 6 1JZ turbo engine, tied to a rear wheel drive car??!

Yaaaaaas post more pics. Damn just one more year and the first JZX90s will be fair game for America. ...except for California, of course. Gotta seriously consider the possibility of keeping a car in LA with out of state plates on a long term basis, or maybe just keep it at my parents' place back in Missouri...

Edit: Also I complain about AutoGAF being nothing but rich people talking about their Porsches all the time too, but I think I figured out the real problem. Anyone and everyone can at least appreciate the expensive cars, so they have something to say. And if you have a certain amount of money you're going to be focused on the latest offerings from those three or four top brands. So discussion around those brands keeps going.

On the other hand, once you look beyond the latest and greatest from the high end makers, all of a sudden you have tons of choices. Anything from any manufacturer from any year. So people get drawn to all kinds of different things for all kinds of different reasons. Knowledge and appreciation gets split off between not just US/Japan/Europe, but between manufacturers and between models within a single manufacturer. I was always an import guy so I don't have much to say about Mustangs. I was always a Toyota guy so I don't have much to say about Hondas. I was also into the drift scene but never really cared about the original 86.

So yeah someone posts a sweet RHD RWD 1JZ-powered sedan, fuck yeah that's awesome to me. But how many other people? They're waiting to talk about how much they like whatever their obsession is. And if you don't share that particular obsession there's not necessarily much else to say to each other besides "hey cool car."

It's funny... I never really gravitated to the Hachi-Roku. S Chassis were my jam back in the day (180SX)...

Correct, I'm in Canada... The rule used to be 10 years, till the auto manufacturers lobbied to get it changed to 15. I was rather pissed when it went down, but what can you do. They are still trying to get RHD cars off the roads (but that's another story).

I remember those "Best of Motoring" series videos. It was amazing when they started to translate them for the western market. The Touge battles were the issues that were a "must purchase" for me.

It's a shame that the "boom" years are over, but I'm excited to have the chance to tinker with one from that era.

HAHA Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to wait all that time... If I were living in America, I think I'd have a "grey import" by now.

Just so you guys know a lot of the Best Motoring/Hot Version videos are up on Amazon Prime Video...

And that Chaser is so fuckin hot man. I have been really debating getting a Soarer imported here at some point.

matmanx1

I really dig the Chaser. I like pretty much all of the Japanese sporty cars from that era and check out Japanese Classics inventory about once a week. If I had enough time, money and garage space I would have a bunch of 1990's JDM cars to mess around with.

I see a JDM chaser ...nice

I see Evo X with another porsche...nice

I see older cars yet equally impressive..nice

I see a new LC500, looks good surprisingly....nice

I see a honda van...thats dope!! and ..nice

I see no salt so far...nice

It looks like Auto-gaf is now back to it's regularly scheduled programming. =)

No Love

Banned
Found a really nice E39 M5 with awesome mods but... tbh think the guy wants too much considering it has 155k miles and 7(!?) Previous owners. $16.5k... lol uh nope.

Picked up an '02 530i, one owner, 100k miles for $2900 though 😃

Edit: M5 has only 3 previous owners and complete maintenance history from day 1. I told him I will wait and if he can figure out a way to lower the price I'll snatch it up. I think 12-14 is a good target area. I know thia guy picked it up for $12k in 2013.

Evo X

Dropped the 911 off and picked my car back up. It was parked next to it's big brother.

uYmC8Ws.jpg

Hwvs7U9.jpg

j9RQSdk.jpg

Hit exactly 1,000 miles when I pulled back into my driveway. Time to start enjoying redline!

CpGU8RF.jpg

SliChillax

Looks like a fish to me but I like the front though. What I don't like in the C63 is the interior. Sure it looks flashy in pictures but when I sat in one there were some cheap plastics and fake leather covering the dashboard. At least the M3/M4 have the proper extended leather option which makes the interior feel better (in terms of materials). It's also always disappointing to hear that Merc cant get their shit together when it comes to transmissions. Why didn't they put the amazing DCT from the AMG-GT in the C63? Makes no sense.

Vooduu

Nearing 200K on the '01 E46. Was on the highway this weekend at night and hit some road debris, fucked up my damn bumper.

DE0YYNP.jpg

5GvOqZ2.jpg

I want the Focus RS or M2 so bad...

Lucius86

Banned
Looks like the update for the InControl Touch Pro worked - done about 700 miles driving since it came back Friday, no crashes. Noticed the frame rate whilst in sat nav is also improved.

DarkestHour

Banned
Fair enough, I have actually narrowed it down to 3 different cars.

1) A 2014-2015 Ford Fusion, (fully loaded/higher trim)
2) 2015 Hyndai Sonata, fully loaded "sport" option
3) The one I really want, but it is significantly pricier than the first two, 2014 Mazda 6, (about 5 grand over my budget)

Looks like the funnest out of the three, not sure about reliability, where are 2014 Mazda 6 made? Mexico or Japan? how is it compared to performance to the other two?

I like the interior of the Mazda much more than the other two, also overall it may be funner to drive, etc.

But apparently the Hyndai offers a very smooth and quiet cabin ride with an awesome panoramic glass roof, which Mazda doesn't. What Say you Gaf?

Ford Fusion or Sonata. The Mazda 6 is made in Japan. I have a 2016 and love it, but you'd be getting much more for your money with the Fusion or Sonata.

matmanx1

Found a really nice E39 M5 with awesome mods but... tbh think the guy wants too much considering it has 155k miles and 7(!?) Previous owners. $16.5k... lol uh nope.

Picked up an '02 530i, one owner, 100k miles for $2900 though 😃

Edit: M5 has only 3 previous owners and complete maintenance history from day 1. I told him I will wait and if he can figure out a way to lower the price I'll snatch it up. I think 12-14 is a good target area. I know thia guy picked it up for $12k in 2013.

Good luck on the M5 and nice find on the 530i. $2900 is a good price.

Dropped the 911 off and picked my car back up. It was parked next to it's big brother.

uYmC8Ws.jpg

Hwvs7U9.jpg

j9RQSdk.jpg

Hit exactly 1,000 miles when I pulled back into my driveway. Time to start enjoying redline!

CpGU8RF.jpg

GT3RS, giggity!

Nearing 200K on the '01 E46. Was on the highway this weekend at night and hit some road debris, fucked up my damn bumper.

DE0YYNP.jpg

5GvOqZ2.jpg

Sorry about your bumper although I can barely tell what's wrong with it from the pictures. 200k is very good on your E46! I wonder how much if would cost to get a modern BMW to 200k?

TylerD

DE0YYNP.jpg

5GvOqZ2.jpg

That's not too bad my fellow E46 owner. Congrats on the 200K! Mine is a '06 6spd ZHP coupe @ 91K with an engine from '05 ZHP vert. I have lots of parts for projects awaiting completion right now. Last projects I completed were Ziza LED interior lights, and Aux cable install.

The LED interior lights are a nice bang for the buck ~$80

I might have a way to get you a half priced AA twinscrew supercharger. That'll get you to 350ish whp and wtq.

I'm still interested in eventually doing a twinscrew but I'll want to reinforce the subframe, and do headers, exhaust, intake, probably LSD, IE major project creep. I'll need to take care of drive shaft center support bearing and guibo before that too.

Vooduu

Thanks y'all!

Sorry about your bumper although I can barely tell what's wrong with it from the pictures. 200k is very good on your E46! I wonder how much if would cost to get a modern BMW to 200k?

Only time will tell with the turbos. With all the issues in my car, the NA I6 runs strong still. *knock on wood* lol.

That's not too bad my fellow E46 owner. Congrats on the 200K! Mine is a '06 6spd ZHP coupe @ 91K with an engine from '05 ZHP vert. I have lots of parts for projects awaiting completion right now. Last projects I completed were Ziza LED interior lights, and Aux cable install.

Nice ride Tyler! Why the engine swap?

TylerD

Thanks y'all!

Only time will tell with the turbos. With all the issues in my car, the NA I6 runs strong still. *knock on wood* lol.

Nice ride Tyler! Why the engine swap?

Thank you sir. I instantly fell in love with it when I picked it up in 09/2012. E46s are great cars and pretty affordable if you want to do some DIY. Lubbock doesn't have what one would call adequate drainage and I had to try to make it back to our datacenter after a power hit and our UPS failed to do it's job while on a first date in awful rain. The only other person with access to our server room was dealing with his house flooding at the time. Lifted truck caused a wave over my hood when I was 10 ft from being home free through some uncomfortably high water. The result was a dead engine, 3 months of downtime, a new clutch and $7K worth of insurance work.

Here she is being towed to the shop the next afternoon after that ordeal. My date was in the car with me when the shit hit the fan. We didn't go on another one.

lol. The car had a full tank of gas 24 hours prior to that picture. I've just been beating the shit out of it so the range plummeted.

Speaking of gas, what the fnck is going on?!

Yesterday, premium gas(93) was at $2.37/gallon. Then I go fill up today and it jumped to $2.59/gallon. @_____________@

Fnck.

Unfortunately, motherfnckers at the EPA pay too much attention and there have been a number of grey imports that got caught and have been sent to the car crusher with no reprieve for the owner or whatever.

I've actually heard of a story about a supposed grey import Skyline owned by a local shop here in DFW that just vanished. Coincidentally, the shop owner was sighted in Canada around the same time the car vanished lol.

Yeah, I check their site like every week, lol. I'm just too poor right now with shitty job and having to pay school tuition.

Same here. I'm currently drooling over the '88 Cefiro they've got on stock. It's a beauty.

So who is rolling decent lease deals right now?

I'm looking to get the fiance out of her E36 and into something that I don't have to work on all the time.

Lagamorph

Just ordered a new Audi TT S-Line this morning in Daytona Grey.

In regards to that Merc above....Mercedes are ruining their car interiors lately with those god awful screens. They look like a complete afterthought, as if the designer was finished before somebody pointed out he hadn't included the screen so they just glued one onto it wherever they could.

In regards to that Merc above....Mercedes are ruining their car interiors lately with those god awful screens. They look like a complete afterthought, as if the designer was finished before somebody pointed out he hadn't included the screen so they just glued one onto it wherever they could.

This was my thought when I rented one last year. After a couple of days you stop noticing it and it just becomes part of the car (though it's still not a great interface and I hate touchscreens in cars as a general rule), but every time you do notice it and its position it looks like shit.

Everyone getting in the car commented on it, too, it's just so poorly laid out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've personally wanted a kei-car for a loooong time. I really want an Acty Truck though (maybe even a step van), since i'll never be able to afford a T360 truck.

A blue one with the bug eye headlights. This way I can throw my express mopeds in the back and take em to long beach and cruise em.

So much want.

dLkuvDM.gif

Cowie

Grats! Definitely post up pics when it arrives. Daytona Grey is one of the few greys I can really get behind, it's a great look.

Lagamorph

This was my thought when I rented one last year. After a couple of days you stop noticing it and it just becomes part of the car (though it's still not a great interface and I hate touchscreens in cars as a general rule), but every time you do notice it and its position it looks like shit.

Everyone getting in the car commented on it, too, it's just so poorly laid out.
I don't think I'd ever stop noticing it really. I'd get in the car and every single time I'd just be disappointed in how much the interior is ruined by the screen. They could've just inlaid it into the dash in the same space and it would look so much better.

Ooh, congrats! Where do you live and what's your wait time like?
Grats! Definitely post up pics when it arrives. Daytona Grey is one of the few greys I can really get behind, it's a great look.
I'm in the UK, had to be a factory order so my delivery is estimated towards the back end of July, so about 2 months.
Will definitely post up some pics when I receive it. I went for the Daytona Grey because the showroom had a TT in that colour on display a little while ago. I had gone in originally thinking of Black but when I saw the Daytona Grey I just fell in love with it. Was pleasantly surprised that the Pearl effect paint was the same price as the Metallics.

Overall I went with the following setup,
Daytona Grey exterior
Black Leather/Alcantara interior
Cruise Control (Which now comes as Standard rather than being an optional extra)
Front Armrest (Again, now comes as Standard rather than an option)
Technology Pack
Deluxe Auto AC with Digital Display
Front + Rear Parking sensors
Advanced Key (So keyless entry)
Privacy Glass (I figure it'll really contrast well with the grey body)

Thanks.

Yes, it is Agate Grey both exterior and interior.

Got a question for you Evo X, since you've driven the new 991.2, I noticed your dealer car did not have the Sports Exhaust system. I won't have time to test drive anything soon, so I was curious what you thought of the sound of the new 991.2's twin turbo engine? People keep saying it's muted, but from your point of view, how did you think it sounded?

I'm debating whether $3K is worth the sports exhaust or not. I love my Boxster's engine sound when the top is down, however, $3K is a lot. Thanks!

Ty4on

WWy1nvE.jpg

The LED interior lights are a nice bang for the buck ~$80

That looks great! I love the clean interior of the E46, especially with the M sport wheel.

Evo X

Got a question for you Evo X, since you've driven the new 991.2, I noticed your dealer car did not have the Sports Exhaust system. I won't have time to test drive anything soon, so I was curious what you thought of the sound of the new 991.2's twin turbo engine? People keep saying it's muted, but from your point of view, how did you think it sounded?

I'm debating whether $3K is worth the sports exhaust or not. I love my Boxster's engine sound when the top is down, however, $3K is a lot. Thanks!

The 991.2 was too quite without sports exhaust, but then again I'm coming from two very loud cars. Not sure what it sounded like from the outside, but inside there was barely any engine rumble or turbo noise. If you had the windows down and were hammering it, there was some noise, but not proportional to the performance of the car. Guess the stock non-sports exhaust version is appropriate for the typical clientele of 911s, 50 yr old doctors & lawyers.

If you're buying a new Porsche, I think Sports Exhaust is a must have option. Sounds better than most aftermarket setups, and is valvetronic so you can adjust the loudness for the circumstances.

Anion

I fucked up bad

I drove the 458 Italiana Speciale for 30 mins around Maranello...and

HOLLY FLYFUCKINGWHEEL

That car connects straight to your soul. Ugh, that roar, the aggressiveness, the power, that grip was good too. And damn, it was stunning. I was giggling too much to the point where the Italian guide and I overcame the language barrier using smiles.

Im too happy right now, the Internet connection here is subpar, and I only have my phone. I'll post pictures later when I get back into the states in 2 weeks. But damn. Someone on Gaf must buy that car, it's too damn good.

I fucked up bad

HOLLY FLYFUCKINGWHEEL

That car connects straight to your soul. Ugh, that roar, the aggressiveness, the power, that grip was good too. And damn, it was stunning. I was giggling too much to the point where the Italian guide and overcame the language barrier using smiles.

Im too happy right now, the Internet connection here is subpar, and I only have my phone. I'll post pictures later when I get back into the states in 2 weeks. But damn. Someone on Gaf must buy that car, it's too damn good.

That car is my dream car.....I would even take the normal version.

Its one of the few cars that makes your palm sweaty driving it....like a super car should.

Most current super cars drives like a luxury sedan

Evo X

I fucked up bad

HOLLY FLYFUCKINGWHEEL

That car connects straight to your soul. Ugh, that roar, the aggressiveness, the power, that grip was good too. And damn, it was stunning. I was giggling too much to the point where the Italian guide and I overcame the language barrier using smiles.

Bet you are glad you took my advice, huh? :)

Anion

I am uber glad I took your advice lol. Thank you and everyone else here who told me to go for it and everyone here for listening to me blabber about this lol

I'll try to give a brief summary. It might sound confusing/badly worded, so please forgive me since my head is spinning lol

I was sweating profusely throughout the whole drive. The Italian guide I had was sort of crazy. He was egging me on to "just push the gas" multiple times. I am really thankful that he was my guide, cause the speeds I was driving at was...literally illegal and I definitely got magnitudes of value for the money I spent. Since they had an optional GoPro video recording of the drive from the inside, they had set the dash to hide the speedometer, in case I ended up buying the video and posted it online lol. I didn't buy the video cause it was focused on the dash rather than the road, which was massively disappointing. Can't do much about it.

He has me stop on the road and do a complete 0-something (digital speedometer was off), but I know I ended up in 6th gear after shifting at around 6-7x rpm lol. (Those LED indicators scared be shit out of me when I first saw them light up and beep lol.)

Also, speaking of the shifting, that dual clutch was something out of this star system. Shifted so damn fast. Literally made my heart melt. I fell in love fast.

The Italian country side was beautiful. The guide took me through some section of Maranello that seemed straight out of Forza Horizon 2. A few tight corners, several straightaways, gentle hills for the most part, very little to no traffic. And the scenery was amazing. There was some castle on the way around and vineyards.

I have to admit, I was too scared to push that car hard in my drive. Did not know the road at all and some of the roads were not painted. What I mean is that the oncoming traffic was sharing the road, only separated by an imaginary line...That being said, I pushed that car hard and might have redlined it mistakenly. The car just seemed to have some amazing limits. Clearly didn't get close to the limits lol, but I know my daily driver Merc wouldn't have been able to keep as steady on the tight turns at even half the speeds I took them at. No real comment on the bucket seats, besides that they really kept me in place. Not once did I feel like I had to fight to remain upright.

I feel like I'm missing a few things I wanted to share with you guys, so I'll post them later if and when I remember. Also and going to attempt to post some pictures too.

Since I went to Maranello, I ended up visiting both the Ferrari Museums in Maranello and Modena as well as the Lamborghini museum in Santa'Agata Bolognese.

the exciting thing was that the Lamborghinis...had mud on the tires...meaning they were driven lol.
I touched the Reventon, the Mura Concept, the Siesto Elemento, and the Veneno. And it was amazing

For the Ferrari museums, I saw the Enzo, LaFerrari(s), 599XX, FXX, and some one off designs that escape my head. And lot and lots of older models that I didn't even know existed. So I hope you all will enjoy them. My pictures suck though cause I am a horrible picture taker

I promise to post those pictures, but the museum ones definitely will have to wait till I get back

The 991.2 was too quite without sports exhaust, but then again I'm coming from two very loud cars. Not sure what it sounded like from the outside, but inside there was barely any engine rumble or turbo noise. If you had the windows down and were hammering it, there was some noise, but not proportional to the performance of the car. Guess the stock non-sports exhaust version is appropriate for the typical clientele of 911s, 50 yr old doctors & lawyers.

If you're buying a new Porsche, I think Sports Exhaust is a must have option. Sounds better than most aftermarket setups, and is valvetronic so you can adjust the loudness for the circumstances.

At the very least, did it sound like this from the main cabin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbLrfNV3Kc4

I think that would be sufficient for me, but to be fair, I haven't heard it in person yet with or without sports exhaust. However, if it does sound like the one in the clip above when they were driving it on Laguna Seca, I "think" I would be ok with it...

Evo X

At the very least, did it sound like this from the main cabin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbLrfNV3Kc4

I think that would be sufficient for me, but to be fair, I haven't heard it in person yet with or without sports exhaust. However, if it does sound like the one in the clip above when they were driving it on Laguna Seca, I "think" I would be ok with it...

I don't know where he positioned the microphone in that video, but no, it did not sound that loud or good in person while in the cockpit.

h1nch

Those E46s posted on the previous page look great.

I can't think of many cars that have aged as gracefully as the E46 has, design-wise.

No Love

Banned
Those E46s posted on the previous page look great.

I can't think of many cars that have aged as gracefully as the E46 has, design-wise.

Yeah Tyler's E46 is gorgeous. I think the E39 looks better overall but I'm biased... 😇

I did enjoy my E46 330ci the 3 days I had it though. Lol

I liked the E46 330Ci I test drove a while back, at least how it looked. Dark gray over saddle leather. Man that was a good color combo. But it was also salvage and poorly repaired so lol nope.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I fucked up bad

HOLLY FLYFUCKINGWHEEL

GXxVx2F.jpg

Top Bottom