• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Yeah Tyler's E46 is gorgeous. I think the E39 looks better overall but I'm biased... 😇

I did enjoy my E46 330ci the 3 days I had it though. Lol

Both look fantastic, but I'm also a fan of the E39 design. I still some of them around in the Bay Area every once in a while.

Evo X

oooo... new S2K coming out in 2019?

Supposedly using a detuned version of the 2.0T from the Civic Type R and starting at the low $20K price point.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rumor-honda-to-celebrate-its-70th-anniversary-with-new-s2000-roadster/

Honda-S2000-Holiday-Auto.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Supposedly using a detuned version of the 2.0T from the Civic Type R and starting at the low $20K price point.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rumor-honda-to-celebrate-its-70th-anniversary-with-new-s2000-roadster/

Looks better but that's straight up Acura design language...

One day when I get Stinkles money I'm getting a Mercedes G63/65 AMG. Until then I'll enjoy my Hellcat.

Stinkles money currently supports a Mazda CX7, a Honda Fit and a Honda Ruckus.

You don't want Stinkles money.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I fucked up bad

I drove the 458 Italiana Speciale for 30 mins around Maranello...and

HOLLY FLYFUCKINGWHEEL

That car connects straight to your soul. Ugh, that roar, the aggressiveness, the power, that grip was good too. And damn, it was stunning. I was giggling too much to the point where the Italian guide and I overcame the language barrier using smiles.

Im too happy right now, the Internet connection here is subpar, and I only have my phone. I'll post pictures later when I get back into the states in 2 weeks. But damn. Someone on Gaf must buy that car, it's too damn good.

Yep. Still the best overall driving experience <$1 million.

Honda dead mang. The s2k rumors have been floating around since it's demise, and here we are almost a decade later.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong. But at this point, what evidence aside from the CTR (which still has no U.S. release date) that honda has their balls back?

edit: and if they bring it back, no way will it be anywhere close to 20k. The civic is almost a 30k car with options on the Si. A new s2k would be damn near 35-40k. Only way for them to get it cheap would be a larger version of the s660.

No Love

Banned
Yo, how come you never posted those launch controls videos we shot?

Oh thanks for reminding me! Been busy as fuck, we sold the biz. I'll upload them and re-orient them, think they came out sideways. :D Shame a phone cant do the sound justice. &#128549;

Never heard about the Vette or the RX-9, but definitely the Supra.

Any year now.

Whaaat?

The mid-engine Corvette has been in rumors since 2012 and even former GM boss Bob Lutz mentioned that GM has been planning one since 2003.

Heck, at one point last year a supposed mule/prototype using the Holden Commodore's parts showed up last year:

2017-Mid-Engined-Chevrolet-Corvette-1011-876x535.jpg

That said, I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the RX-9... this one I'm actually really holding out hope. The Mazda RX-Vision concept we got last year then all the talk by executives about the rotary still being an integral part of Mazda makes me believe that it's really happening within a few years.

The Supra on the other hand, whatever happened to the FT-1 Concept? I know Toyota and BMW are in talks of co-developing a sports car or something, could that be the new Supra?

No Love

Banned
So I hear about the S2000 a lot round these parts but don't know too much about them. Why would you pick up one of these versus a Miata or FRS? What's its claim to fame?

The S2000 is better than the Miata and don't even bring up the garbage FRS in the same sentence, makes me sick like ebola.

Claims to fame:
Greatest manual transmission ever made
Greatest 4 cylinder NA motor ever conceived
Best driving Honda ever made and one of the greatest sports cars ever made (top 10)
Possibly the greatest roadster ever made
Timeless styling
Beat the ever living shit out of Porsche's Boxster
9000 RPM bitch

To put it simply, it's a legendary car and every true enthusiast should drive one in their life.

Claims to fame:

9000 RPM bitch

The best part by far. That, honestly is one of the few things I miss about driving a newer Honda. Those high revving vtec motors from the 90s and early 2000s were truly amazing. Could beat the piss out of them and they just wanted more. I still haven't driven an s2k yet, I refuse to until I can own it. My soul wouldn't be able to handle that kind of cock tease.

So, I just found out about Faraday Future today and took at look at their FFZERO1 Concept. It definitely looks like they're aiming to compete with Tesla and maybe i8 on the ultra-high-end electric market, but I'm not sure I like what I see so far.

Any thoughts, AutoGAF?

No Love

Banned
So, I just found out about Faraday Future today and took at look at their FFZERO1 Concept. It definitely looks like they're aiming to compete with Tesla and maybe i8 on the ultra-high-end electric market, but I'm not sure I like what I see so far.

Any thoughts, AutoGAF?

The guy I'm thinking about buying an M5 from was a Tesla test engineer and is now a Faraday Future engineer. He says Faraday is going to make Tesla sweat bullets.

Tesla needs to fix their shit first instead of worrying about competitors. I'm starting to see reliability issues with the Model S and manufacturing issues with the Model X. If issues like these happen on a $100K car, I can't imagine how shitty the $30K Model 3 will be.

The S2000 is better than the Miata and don't even bring up the garbage FRS in the same sentence, makes me sick like ebola.

Are you saying that the Miata is better than the FRS?!

Speaking as Miata fanboy, I will say that if the FRS was an option for me in February 2012 I probably would've went with that. But IIRC it didn't hit USA's shores until late spring and by that point, I've completely fallen head over heels for my Miata so it was too late.

I still haven't driven an s2k yet, I refuse to until I can own it. My soul wouldn't be able to handle that kind of cock tease.

Honestly, this is exactly what I thought before I got the chance to drive an S2K. I finally had a couple of chances to drive an AP1 and AP2 and I really really enjoyed it. It's definitely a legendary car in its own right.

Comparing the S2K and an NC Miata side by side though... I would definitely take the S2K but I don't think I'd be mad at all if I ended up going home with the Miata instead.

No Love

Banned
Tesla needs to fix their shit first instead of worrying about competitors. I'm starting to see reliability issues with the Model S and manufacturing issues with the Model X. If issues like these happen on a $100K car, I can't imagine how shitty the $30K Model 3 will be.

Are you saying that the Miata is better than the FRS?!

Speaking as Miata fanboy, I will say that if the FRS was an option for me in February 2012 I probably would've went with that. But IIRC it didn't hit USA's shores until late spring and by that point, I've completely fallen head over heels for my Miata so it was too late.

Honestly, this is exactly what I thought before I got the chance to drive an S2K. I finally had a couple of chances to drive an AP1 and AP2 and I really really enjoyed it. It's definitely a legendary car in its own right.

Comparing the S2K and an NC Miata side by side though... I would definitely take the S2K but I don't think I'd be mad at all if I ended up going home with the Miata instead.

The Miata is far superior to the FRS. The FRS/BRZ are garbage.

Evo X

Honda dead mang. The s2k rumors have been floating around since it's demise, and here we are almost a decade later.

I know, but I can't help but get hyped every time there is a new rumor. I would love a modern S2K.

And hey, we got The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and FF7 Remake last year so dreams can come true. lol

I'd take your Hellcat over any Mercedes any day.

Even a CLK GTR? :D

mercedes-clk-gtr-rm-auctions-w-55b4a19e348a7.jpg

Oh thanks for reminding me! Been busy as fuck, we sold the biz. I'll upload them and re-orient them, think they came out sideways. :D Shame a phone cant do the sound justice. &#128549;

Nice. That was a quick turnaround on the shop. What you moving onto next? You can PM or text me.

Also, yeah, it's impossible to capture good sound on a phone. Even the best high end microphones don't come close. I will try to get some good footage of my GT4, along with a few other friend's toys soon. I reserved a race track June 1st and am bringing a video team with Go Pros and DSLRs.

Claims to fame:
Greatest manual transmission ever made

I think you mean second greatest manual transmission ever made. ;)

Yaaaaaas post more pics. Damn just one more year and the first JZX90s will be fair game for America. ...except for California, of course. Gotta seriously consider the possibility of keeping a car in LA with out of state plates on a long term basis, or maybe just keep it at my parents' place back in Missouri...

Edit: Also I complain about AutoGAF being nothing but rich people talking about their Porsches all the time too, but I think I figured out the real problem. Anyone and everyone can at least appreciate the expensive cars, so they have something to say. And if you have a certain amount of money you're going to be focused on the latest offerings from those three or four top brands. So discussion around those brands keeps going.

On the other hand, once you look beyond the latest and greatest from the high end makers, all of a sudden you have tons of choices. Anything from any manufacturer from any year. So people get drawn to all kinds of different things for all kinds of different reasons. Knowledge and appreciation gets split off between not just US/Japan/Europe, but between manufacturers and between models within a single manufacturer. I was always an import guy so I don't have much to say about Mustangs. I was always a Toyota guy so I don't have much to say about Hondas. I was also into the drift scene but never really cared about the original 86.

So yeah someone posts a sweet RHD RWD 1JZ-powered sedan, fuck yeah that's awesome to me. But how many other people? They're waiting to talk about how much they like whatever their obsession is. And if you don't share that particular obsession there's not necessarily much else to say to each other besides "hey cool car."

I knew you'd be a fan HAHA! I've got it registered and platted, so now I can finally enjoy it. I'll take a few snaps once I get few things cleaned up on it.

I'm all for you importing a JZX90... There's one in my city for sale right now, with a 2JZ swap. Sucks that Cali has it's own crazy rules for imports. The hoops you have to dive through in that state is crazy. I know a lot of guys just have their cars registered out of state.

Though, a popular friend who "had" a BNR34 had it registered in Arizona, got pinched and had to export it to Canada.

Just so you guys know a lot of the Best Motoring/Hot Version videos are up on Amazon Prime Video...

And that Chaser is so fuckin hot man. I have been really debating getting a Soarer imported here at some point.

Thanks for the heads up my man! I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm all for Soarers as well. They are a totally solid fun RWD car that you can make JAM from the engine relatively easily. It's a solid platform for sure!

I really dig the Chaser. I like pretty much all of the Japanese sporty cars from that era and check out Japanese Classics inventory about once a week. If I had enough time, money and garage space I would have a bunch of 1990's JDM cars to mess around with.

Thanks! You and me sound quite a like. I have garage space for another car, so in a few years, I plan to fill it with something 90's fun.

Unfortunately, motherfnckers at the EPA pay too much attention and there have been a number of grey imports that got caught and have been sent to the car crusher with no reprieve for the owner or whatever.

I've actually heard of a story about a supposed grey import Skyline owned by a local shop here in DFW that just vanished. Coincidentally, the shop owner was sighted in Canada around the same time the car vanished lol.

Yeah, I had mentioned it earlier, but a person I know out in Cali had a BNR34 that was registered in Arizona got pinched. He had to export it, or it would get crushed.

Sucks for sure...

matmanx1

I think we would all love a new S2K. I've been sad about that one since Honda discontinued it. I would not want to see them put a turbo motor in it though. That would seem very wrong.

I actually considered picking up an S2K instead of the Miata but I've wanted a Miata since I was in college and, at this point, you can get a younger, lower mileage example of a Miata for the same money that you would spend on an S2K. Basically, it seems like a really good example of an S2K with lower miles is still a 20k + car around here.

I love the 86 salt. It gets the job done, and unlike the Miata I can carry both kids in it without locking one of them in the trunk.

re:S2K. You can't even get a decently equipped Civic for low-20k. What makes anyone think a bespoke, low-volume convertible made in Japan will come anywhere near that?

Viperbah

re:S2K. You can't even get a decently equipped Civic for low-20k. What makes anyone think a bespoke, low-volume convertible made in Japan will come anywhere near that?

Yeah....doubt it will be anywhere near 20k if it happens.....wasn't the original s2k around 35 new?

Hmm....I wasn't really a big fan of the s2k...especially the ap2.

Didn't like the look without the mugen or spoon hardtop.

The orque made it feel like a civic..

should have been lighter.

shiftier is top tier though.

From the Road and Track version of the rumor (http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29232/honda-s2000-return-2018/)

The S2000 successor, which is expected to weigh less than 2900 pounds, will be powered by a slightly detuned version of the Civic Type R's 2.0-liter turbo. That engine is made in the U.S.A.&#8212;and the car will be too. To keep costs down, Honda has decided to build it alongside the NSX at its specialized Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio. Slated to be sold through the Acura channel in the U.S., it will wear a Honda badge in other markets.

Still call BS on the low-20k pricing, and as an Acura makes little sense, but smart to make it here.

The best part by far. That, honestly is one of the few things I miss about driving a newer Honda. Those high revving vtec motors from the 90s and early 2000s were truly amazing. Could beat the piss out of them and they just wanted more. I still haven't driven an s2k yet, I refuse to until I can own it. My soul wouldn't be able to handle that kind of cock tease.

The first and last time I drove one was at an autocross. Just a few laps, so it's a terrible impression, but more than anything I was astonished by how much the rear end moved around on me. It was actually at Mid-Ohio's training course, and I still hold a grudge against the car because that tail-happiness caught a cone and took two seconds off of my lap. Those two seconds put me in second place in their contest and cost me a $900 voucher for their competition license program.

I was just barely shy of two seconds faster than second place, too, so it really hurt.

So fuck you, S2000.

(It was a lot of fun to drive in anger, and minus missing out on $900 the oversteer was a blast)

Interesting.

I don't think it's garbage per se, but I do think that it's garbage that Toyobaru's refusing to make an TRD or STi version.

Yeah, I had mentioned it earlier, but a person I know out in Cali had a BNR34 that was registered in Arizona got pinched. He had to export it, or it would get crushed.

Sucks for sure...

Damn, that guy got lucky. From what I heard they normally don't let you export the cars and it's an automatic trip to the crusher.

matmanx1

I love the 86 salt. It gets the job done, and unlike the Miata I can carry both kids in it without locking one of them in the trunk.

I don't have any ill will versus the 86 twins. I think, for the price, their performance numbers and looks are fine. And, skilled drivers (like Randy Pobst) say nice things about their balance and handling. I wouldn't look down on anyone who chose an FR-S or a BR-Z.

I genuinely don't get the 86 hate. Its a fun car and its reasonably priced.

If there ever is an turbo or sti version, you know its going to add at least 5k to the price, and you'll be getting into 370z, impreza sti, ect territory, which is not the purpose of the car.

Ovid

The Supra on the other hand, whatever happened to the FT-1 Concept? I know Toyota and BMW are in talks of co-developing a sports car or something, could that be the new Supra?
From what I read, their collaboration is supposed produce a Supra and a BMW Z.

Makki

If there ever is an turbo or sti version, you know its going to add at least 5k to the price, and you'll be getting into 370z, impreza sti, ect territory, which is not the purpose of the car.

FRS's can be bought new at 21-22k. If they made a real STI version, a 28k coupe with >250 HP, it would beat an aging hunk of engineering (370z) and would steal sales from the STI for people who dont buy it due to it's 4 doors. Not to mention a Miata would only sell to people who like to have bad hair (it's a really bad deal price-wise right now as it is).

I think the main reason you wont see an STI version is that it would cannibalize the WRX and make the base model worthless. The powertrain can handle the power, the only thing it would need would be better brakes. I really like my FRS BUT, I wont keep it in the future due to it 1. No hatch like the old 86 and 240's so fitting anything through its awkward trunk is a pain and 2. You have to spend 4 grand to update its power output to match every grocery getter out on the road.

matmanx1

I think it's funny that we've now come full circle to talking about the 86 twins again. I also think that there's different kinds of fun to be had in driving and not every car has to be fast to be fun.

In fact, for a guy like myself who doesn't live near a track but has access to all kinds of lightly traveled, curvy, rural roads I can have a lot more fun with a car than handles well and is fun to toss around than I can with one that has tons of power but can't dance well.

The Miata's and 86's are similar in that regard and that's fine, as long as you know what you are getting in to and don't expect them to be fast in a straight line.

And while 86's are fairly light I actually put the Miata in a class pretty much by itself down here at the bottom because I don't know where else you are going to find a car that weighs less than 2500 pounds and can be had for around 25k brand new (Sport model) that would be more fun to drive. Less weight really is a marvelous thing and it's amazing how much of a difference that lightness makes when you really want to drive enthusiastically. It's a completely different kind of fun and I absolutely love it.

Top Bottom