• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

jey_16

Banned
dad just picked up a top spec C-Class.....have to say, that cabin is a work of art. Can understand why Mercedes is killing it in sales because after sitting in it, makes the XE and 3 series feel stone age. Audi dropped the ball with the A4, the interior is great but not enough change on the outside and atleast here in Australia, a bit to pricey

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love the 86 salt. It gets the job done, and unlike the Miata I can carry both kids in it without locking one of them in the trunk.

re:S2K. You can't even get a decently equipped Civic for low-20k. What makes anyone think a bespoke, low-volume convertible made in Japan will come anywhere near that?

If you bought an 86 to put kids in I honestly don't know what to say.

And you know exactly why the 86 gets grief.

You probably know right down to the last half horse power.

I genuinely don't get the 86 hate. Its a fun car and its reasonably priced.

If there ever is an turbo or sti version, you know its going to add at least 5k to the price, and you'll be getting into 370z, impreza sti, ect territory, which is not the purpose of the car.

Also I think the 86 is one of the best looking car in the road. It's pretty bold of toyota to design it far from their design language. I really dislike the current toyota styling and the prius is nasty.

If you bought an 86 to put kids in I honestly don't know what to say.

Yes, clearly I didn't have another vehicle to transport our children in, and this is our only means of transport.

My point (lost on you) is that rarely I have to shuttle both kids somewhere while the wife has the family hauler, and this is something I can do in an 86 and not in a Miata.

And you know exactly why the 86 gets grief.

You probably know right down to the last half horse power.

I've never heard this argument before. Please, tell me more.

Kelsdesu

Honda dead mang. The s2k rumors have been floating around since it's demise, and here we are almost a decade later.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong. But at this point, what evidence aside from the CTR (which still has no U.S. release date) that honda has their balls back?

edit: and if they bring it back, no way will it be anywhere close to 20k. The civic is almost a 30k car with options on the Si. A new s2k would be damn near 35-40k. Only way for them to get it cheap would be a larger version of the s660.

This man is correct. Yall lost me at detuned civic.

wotter

Also I think the 86 is one of the best looking car in the road. It's pretty bold of toyota to design it far from their design language. I really dislike the current toyota styling and the prius is nasty.

It certainly is different than all the other Toyota's.
Heck, I've had people say to me that it's look like a Ferrari.
After almost 4 years, my car still turns heads :) (Euro GT86)

matmanx1 said:
I think it's funny that we've now come full circle to talking about the 86 twins again. I also think that there's different kinds of fun to be had in driving and not every car has to be fast to be fun.

In fact, for a guy like myself who doesn't live near a track but has access to all kinds of lightly traveled, curvy, rural roads I can have a lot more fun with a car than handles well and is fun to toss around than I can with one that has tons of power but can't dance well.

The Miata's and 86's are similar in that regard and that's fine, as long as you know what you are getting in to and don't expect them to be fast in a straight line.

Power is not the reason I bought this car, there a other cars for that (it was fast enough for me, I knew that after the test drive).
And in a country like Belgium with a lot of congested roads / speed limits, for me, it would not make a lot of sense. That being said, I would love to see a STI version of this car with +- 250 BHP.
And I certainly understand the criticism.

Anyway, in about two weeks I will be getting my new car.
It was fun with the GT86, but now it's time for something completely different (hint: it's a Lexus).
I've used my GT86 as a daily car, and I don't have the space for 2 cars. I would love to keep it as a weekend or summer car, and I know that in a couple of years, I'm going to miss it :(

Zoolader

Get rid of the E30, diving boards suck. I too have a B5 S4 and it sucks to work on. Hence why I'm selling it and switching back to BMW.

I've changed all the fluids in the E30 since my last post and the car has been running without issues ever since. The issue before was every now and then I'd get locked out of gear. From what I read in the past about my Audi, that could mean a bad throw out bearing. That problem seems to have gone away magically after I lubed her up though. Hopefully not just a bizarre coincidence. Sounds implausible I know, but I have a small funny feeling the shifter may not have been aligned but straightened out from all the sliding around I've been doing. The car is so tail happy and I've been having a blast driving it, especially with all the rain here in Tampa.

Also it doesn't have the huge metal bumpers (diving boards) from the american cars, but rather the slimmer euro metal bumpers which isn't nearly as bad. Still not as cool as the all plastic bumpers. Something I've been itching to do is autocross it, but I know something will break and I'm not planning on keeping it too long so I guess I'll hold off on that idea. I'll probably keep it a little longer while I start looking for maybe an E36, possibly and E39 again. I don't know.

Sad to hear the only other B5 S4 here is on it's way out. Last I heard your S4 slave cylinder took a shit, so it seems like it's been a headache for you from the start. I can't blame you but I really wanted to see you go E85! You still in talks with that guy about buying the M5? The E39 M5's are so fucking badass!

boltz

The S2000 is better than the Miata and don't even bring up the garbage FRS in the same sentence, makes me sick like ebola.

Claims to fame:
Greatest manual transmission ever made
Greatest 4 cylinder NA motor ever conceived
Best driving Honda ever made and one of the greatest sports cars ever made (top 10)
Possibly the greatest roadster ever made
Timeless styling
Beat the ever living shit out of Porsche's Boxster
9000 RPM bitch

To put it simply, it's a legendary car and every true enthusiast should drive one in their life.

Cool, I hope Honda rereleases it, although it seems like their hands would be full with the new SI and Type R.

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma. Previously, I mentioned that I was looking at Golf Rs, but I'm looking at some more economical options now because even though I could afford the R, I would feel better making a more financially responsible choice (not to mention the wife thinks it looks too sleeper, as in making you fall asleep :p).

So I've narrowed my choices down to the Focus ST and WRX. Similarly optioned the way I want (ST3 and Limited+Nav), the price gap is about $6k, but the WRX seems to have insane resale value and of course AWD, so the price gap isn't much of a factor. Actually, the WRX has more points in its favor than the ST:

-more legroom and overall spaciousness of the cabin
-liked its clutch better
-is faster
-AWD, so better handling and can better utilize power increases through modding
-better resale value

So it would seems like the WRX is a no-brainer, but the thing that puts me off about it is the exterior design. Personally, the WRX exterior is on the edge of being boy racer, and I much prefer a hatchback design for looks and practicality reasons.

For that reason, I keep going back to the ST, even if it is a little more cramped inside and doesn't quite have the same push-your-head-into-the-seat-when-you-mash-the-gas factor. I much prefer the exterior looks and the ST is a much nicer place to be inside (not to mention that Sync 3 will support Android Auto and Starlink does not). What say you Auto GAF?

No Love

Banned
I've changed all the fluids in the E30 since my last post and the car has been running without issues ever since. The issue before was every now and then I'd get locked out of gear. From what I read in the past about my Audi, that could mean a bad throw out bearing. That problem seems to have gone away magically after I lubed her up though. Hopefully not just a bizarre coincidence. Sounds implausible I know, but I have a small funny feeling the shifter may not have been aligned but straightened out from all the sliding around I've been doing. The car is so tail happy and I've been having a blast driving it, especially with all the rain here in Tampa.

Also it doesn't have the huge metal bumpers (diving boards) from the american cars, but rather the slimmer euro metal bumpers which isn't nearly as bad. Still not as cool as the all plastic bumpers. Something I've been itching to do is autocross it, but I know something will break and I'm not planning on keeping it too long so I guess I'll hold off on that idea. I'll probably keep it a little longer while I start looking for maybe an E36, possibly and E39 again. I don't know.

Sad to hear the only other B5 S4 here is on it's way out. Last I heard your S4 slave cylinder took a shit, so it seems like it's been a headache for you from the start. I can't blame you but I really wanted to see you go E85! You still in talks with that guy about buying the M5? The E39 M5's are so fucking badass!
That's funny, because my S4 has a totally weird similar issue where the gearbox gets out of alignment and you physically can't access 1st, reverse, or 6th depending on where it moves LOL. Really fucking annoying issue I've never encounted before. My theory? Audi.

I highly recommend selling and getting an E39. IMO the 2nd best E39 is a 530i (esp 5 spd). 540i is faster but the 530i is still plenty quick for daily driving and it weighs less so it's very graceful, much like the M5 is so agile for its weight. Feels a lot like a super refined E36 but without the cheapness.

The more I drive E39's (this my 3rd), the more I personally feel that perhaps we'll never see again such a perfect storm of a sedan. The combination of luxury and sport is unparalleled. New BMWs and other luxury cars are dull and drive like SHIT compared to an E39. Only thing I think that compares is a 2nd gen CTS V. And for the money, you probably can't pick up a more balanced daily driver: fun as hell to scoot around town or hit curvy roads with, extremely cpmfortable and aesthetically pleasing interior, GORGEOUS timeless looks (in 30 years I'll be an almost-old-man lamenting on the HoloNets and posting pictures of E39's for everyone to oogle over right before I Neuro-Jump over to another thread and spam E46's and E30's while whining about how ugly 2046 Teslas are) reliable, cheap to fix (similar to an Accord, really!), GREAT powerplants no matter what model you buy, and they're DIRT cheap if you know how to find them. Actually I'm gonna wake up in a bit and go snag some pics of my find.

And about the B5: I love the cars, they're definitely future classics but I'd rather deal with BMW's goofball and relatively tame issues than the fucknugget engineering of a twin turbo Audi. Yes the S4 is MUCH faster than the M5, no question about it, but the M5 wins in every single other category.

And yeah I'm starving the guy out right now, I got him down to 15 but I'm holding out for 13-14. 😈

boltz

I just gotta say Mazda3 advertised mpg estimates are bullshit. Can't even get 27 mpg.

I gotta say, in my experience, the highway rating is pretty easy to reach when you are doing pure highway/freeway driving with no traffic. However, as soon as you introduce stoplights to your route, your mileage will plummet to the city rating. So I've come to assume the city rating is what you'll get for real-life mixed driving.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes, clearly I didn't have another vehicle to transport our children in, and this is our only means of transport.

My point (lost on you) is that rarely I have to shuttle both kids somewhere while the wife has the family hauler, and this is something I can do in an 86 and not in a Miata.

I've never heard this argument before. Please, tell me more.

I was cracking wise.

But the salt was realer than I realized.

No Love

Banned
Cool, I hope Honda rereleases it, although it seems like their hands would be full with the new SI and Type R.

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma. Previously, I mentioned that I was looking at Golf Rs, but I'm looking at some more economical options now because even though I could afford the R, I would feel better making a more financially responsible choice (not to mention the wife thinks it looks too sleeper, as in making you fall asleep :p).

So I've narrowed my choices down to the Focus ST and WRX. Similarly optioned the way I want (ST3 and Limited+Nav), the price gap is about $6k, but the WRX seems to have insane resale value and of course AWD, so the price gap isn't much of a factor. Actually, the WRX has more points in its favor than the ST:

-liked its clutch better
-is faster
-better resale value

So it would seems like the WRX is a no-brainer, but the thing that puts me off about it is the exterior design. Personally, the WRX exterior is on the edge of being boy racer, and I much prefer a hatchback design for looks and practicality reasons.

For that reason, I keep going back to the ST, even if it is a little more cramped inside and doesn't quite have the same push-your-head-into-the-seat-when-you-mash-the-gas factor. I much prefer the exterior looks and the ST is a much nicer place to be inside (not to mention that Sync 3 will support Android Auto and Starlink does not). What say you Auto GAF?

Focus ST all day. FWD be damned that car is an absolute hoot. It seems so innocent but then you start hooning it on the streets and it's like a Civic Si or Type R of old with all the benefits: WAY BETTER MPG than the WRX (at least 5-8 mpg better, you can EASILY average 30+ combined), you don't look like every tryhard douchebag in a WRX, the Focus ST too has great resale value; the ST handles very very good as well, especially if you're like me and drive it like it's RWD and attempt to induce oversteer.

And if you spend the extra for a WRX, you might as well wait and put that towards a Focus RS, which makes the 'Rex seem laughable.

Disclaimer: I really don't like Subaru and that's part pf the reason I find the 86 twins to be so bad. Take the two lamest Japanese car companies and combine their bland styling and horrible design flaws (Subaru motors are JUNK) and you get a Frankenstein RWD Scion TC with a stillborn NA WRX motor. Yuck. I was not nearly impressed as I was with say, the Focus ST.

oooo... new S2K coming out in 2019?

Supposedly using a detuned version of the 2.0T from the Civic Type R and starting at the low $20K price point.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rumor-honda-to-celebrate-its-70th-anniversary-with-new-s2000-roadster/

Honda-S2000-Holiday-Auto.jpg

I really hope this is true. I would have been driving a s2000 by now if they didn't cease it's production 2009. And No way honday will come out with a car looking like that.. That shit is uglyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

No Love

Banned
I really hope this is true. I would have been driving a s2000 by now if they didn't cease it's production 2009. And No way honday will come out with a car looking like that.. That shit is uglyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Just buy an 02-09 S2000 [skip 00-01, they aren't worth it unless dirt cheap or clean]. You can't lose money on it since they're going up in value, AND you don't have to worry about shit happening since you get paid out like crazy if someone fucks up your car. For example, if some little Honda shitbag cuts your top and steals your seats to put in his fartcan Prelude, no big deal: insurance values the seats at $5k+ and the top at $2k+ so they'll either total out your low value S2000 which you'll get a fat check for and the option to buy it back for a few hundred bucks (albeit with a salvage title) OR they'll give you a $5k+ check which you can then spend $500 on used seats and 400-800 on a soft top install.

Just sayin', you really can't lose buying an S2000*. It also really helps that it's probably the most reliable sportscar ever made, even moreso than the Miata.

*: Unless you buy a shitty one and don't do your due diligence, but that's true for any car.

ruxtpin

Banned
Curious to get some other opinions on the following situation - I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2016 Golf R. I got pre approved through USAA for a loan at 1.75% and a TrueCar certificate for a price below MSRP. I took my GLI by and got an estimate of 15.3k (which was then negotiated up to 15.8k over the phone). So over email I asked for 16k even and was told the dealership could only do the extra $200 if I financed through them at 2.75%. I did the math and that's around $1000 dollars extra over the course of the loan. So I contacted the dealer and said I'd do the 15.8 trade-in offer and use my own financing, but now they're telling me I can't use my USAA financing.

I'm waffling on telling them that I'm going to pass, or telling them to cover the clear bra install and all weather floor mats if they want me to roll w their financing (which would be around $700-$800 or so).

No Love

Banned
Curious to get some other opinions on the following situation - I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2016 Golf R. I got pre approved through USAA for a loan at 1.75% and a TrueCar certificate for a price below MSRP. I took my GLI by and got an estimate of 15.3k (which was then negotiated up to 15.8k over the phone). So over email I asked for 16k even and was told the dealership could only do the extra $200 if I financed through them at 2.75%. I did the math and that's around $1000 dollars extra over the course of the loan. So I contacted the dealer and said I'd do the 15.8 trade-in offer and use my own financing, but now they're telling me I can't use my USAA financing.

I'm waffling on telling them that I'm going to pass, or telling them to cover the clear bra install and all weather floor mats if they want me to roll w their financing (which would be around $700-$800 or so).

Find another stealership, tell them the exact situation, then ask them if they'd like your business instead.

The clear bra and mats is not a very good deal for you because they get all that shit DIRT cheap.

Xdye7

That's funny, because my S4 has a totally weird similar issue where the gearbox gets out of alignment and you physically can't access 1st, reverse, or 6th depending on where it moves LOL. Really fucking annoying issue I've never encounted before. My theory? Audi.

If you haven't figured it out already, 3-4 shift realigns the gearbox

acksman

Damn, boss has an order in for a Ferrari 488 GTB in red. No clue how long he will have to wait. Can't wait to see it. Been teasing him over my GT350, he loved the red. Guess that will shut me up!

And if you spend the extra for a WRX, you might as well wait and put that towards a Focus RS, which makes the 'Rex seem laughable.

Those two cars have a $9000 delta. I'd hope that for that much cash the RS could run circles around the WRX.

Disclaimer: I really don't like Subaru and that's part pf the reason I find the 86 twins to be so bad. Take the two lamest Japanese car companies and combine their bland styling and horrible design flaws (Subaru motors are JUNK) and you get a Frankenstein RWD Scion TC with a stillborn NA WRX motor. Yuck. I was not nearly impressed as I was with say, the Focus ST.

Please show us on the doll where Subaru touched you.
at least you're honest about your bias

EDIT: best 86 mod.

Makki

I just gotta say Mazda3 advertised mpg estimates are bullshit. Can't even get 27 mpg.

My parent's Skyactive BS Mazda 3 has a hard time getting close to 30 mpg pure highway, meanwhile my girlfriend's 2013 Civic gets 32 mixed/38 highway. I second your statement.

My parent's Skyactive BS Mazda 3 has a hard time getting close to 30 mpg pure highway, meanwhile my girlfriend's 2013 Civic gets 32 mixed/38 highway. I second your statement.

Yeah, I had a Civic before and it got much better gas mileage. I averaged over 30 mixed and that was before they started increasing the mpg on the newer ones. Shit I might as well be driving a mid size or large sedan if all I'm getting is 26-27 mpg with mixed driving.

Evo X

Hey guys, need some help finding a good economy car as it is a category I am completely uniformed about.

Friend's wife's car got totaled so she is shopping for something right now. Has to be less than 3 years old, fuel efficient, reliable, automatic, decent interior/tech, and under $15K before taxes. They live in New Orleans so if there is something available nearby, it would be great.

Thanks.

If they don't care about gas mileage, then I'd say a Mazda 3 lol.

More like since the 60s.

I feel it's just as likely to wind up being a Cadillac. Wouldn't be the first

True but I think 2012 is the most "active" in terms of the rumors since the Corvette Zora keeps getting namedropped everywhere.

Speaking of which, I actually saw an XLR on the road the other day. I was laughing at its comically rectangular shape. It looks like a huge ass brick on the road lol.

From what I read, their collaboration is supposed produce a Supra and a BMW Z.

That'd be interesting imo.

But it's just another sign at Toyota's sad state of affairs when they have to partner up with BMW to create the new Supra. I really don't understand how they basically have no money to spend on a new Supra when they're one of the top 3 car manufacturers.

I think it's funny that we've now come full circle to talking about the 86 twins again. I also think that there's different kinds of fun to be had in driving and not every car has to be fast to be fun.

I agree 100% but my problem with the Toyobaru is that I just feel like the 200hp motor is just not enough to carry the entire car. Like a boxer trying to fight somebody above their weight class.

Compared to both the NC and ND Miatas, I never really feel like they need more power. Of course it'd be fantastic if they can get more power, but it's not necessary imo.

Granted, I don't live in an area full of backroads or whatever, as Dallas is basically a flat concrete jungle. But it's those flat straight roads that makes me feel like the Toyobaru doesn't have enough power.

Hey guys, need some help finding a good economy car as it is a category I am completely uniformed about.

Friend's wife's car got totaled so she is shopping for something right now. Has to be less than 3 years old, fuel efficient, reliable, automatic, decent interior/tech, and under $15K before taxes. They live in New Orleans so if there is something available nearby, it would be great.

Thanks.

Best deal she will find is on a used Toyota Corolla. Probably can get a used 2015 with low mileage under 15k now. I'd recommend that. I've had the old model Civic and interior feels really cheap. The newer redesigned Corolla is much better.

h1nch

dad just picked up a top spec C-Class.....have to say, that cabin is a work of art. Can understand why Mercedes is killing it in sales because after sitting in it, makes the XE and 3 series feel stone age. Audi dropped the ball with the A4, the interior is great but not enough change on the outside and atleast here in Australia, a bit to pricey

Yeah MB knocked it out of the park with the new C-Class interior design. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look however. Way too curvy for my tastes.

kharma45

Yeah MB knocked it out of the park with the new C-Class interior design. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look however. Way too curvy for my tastes.

It's been said numerous times, the C-Class interior looks great bar the tacked on screen on the dashboard.

ruxtpin

Banned
Find another stealership, tell them the exact situation, then ask them if they'd like your business instead.

The clear bra and mats is not a very good deal for you because they get all that shit DIRT cheap.

Advice taken. Looking around for another R optioned the way I want, but not finding much luck. Not a big deal if I end up having to wait some time.

matmanx1

-liked its clutch better
-is faster
-better resale value

Focus ST. Every time I have test driven one I have gotten out with a big smile on my face. They are very fun to drive and fairly practical at the same time.

Just walk away. There's so much competition out there for customers I can't believe any dealership wouldn't actively court someone's business. Especially a VW dealership, that just boggles my mind. Let them know you will be taking your business elsewhere and just like someone else suggested, don't be afraid to look out of state.

SliChillax

My friend in Albania is looking to buy a 2014 Mustang GT500 which is located close to New Jersey. Problem is he has no idea how the import works or what companies handle it. Anyone had any experience importing cars from the US to europe?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Saw a Porsche 991.2 Turbo S yesterday. Took pics as I was driving behind it. Damn.

hwalker84

Not everyone can tame a Hellcat.

13221529_653827823890_3631037985773457146_n.jpg

13245361_653827828880_4927418834137238865_n.jpg

I almost shed a tear. If I was driving mine at this time I would've stopped and hugged him. From what I saw it looked like a total loss.

just finished up my swap, after trying to avoid the immobilizer, I gave up and wired it in, was easy after everything

1mWrQVt.jpg

its my 91 MR2 with a 2.4 engine from a Scion tC, Toyota Camry.

like 165hp or something, makes the car about 24xxlbs. bolts to the stock toyota transmission in the MR2, Turbo and NA (theres another guy I inspired to do this, his is a turbo 2AZ with 250hp and the E153 turbo transmission, he is almost done)

imma put the TRD supercharger on it, something like 240chp.
6D4BUIb.jpg

(shot from awhile ago test fitting the supercharger)

heres a current video of the car running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ILd7Py5Cyg&feature=youtu.be

I snapped an axle on the first test drive.

matmanx1

just finished up my swap, after trying to avoid the immobilizer, I gave up and wired it in, was easy after everything

1mWrQVt.jpg

its my 91 MR2 with a 2.4 engine from a Scion tC, Toyota Camry.

like 165hp or something, makes the car about 24xxlbs. bolts to the stock toyota transmission in the MR2, Turbo and NA (theres another guy I inspired to do this, his is a turbo 2AZ with 250hp and the E153 turbo transmission, he is almost done)

imma put the TRD supercharger on it, something like 240chp.
6D4BUIb.jpg

(shot from awhile ago test fitting the supercharger)

heres a current video of the car running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ILd7Py5Cyg&feature=youtu.be

I snapped an axle on the first test drive.

Love it! That's my favorite MR2 body and it sounds like you are taking your build in a good direction. Those 2.4's are robust and fairly torque'y right out of the box. With the TRD supercharger on it I bet it will be more fun than a barrel of hyperactive monkeys. Good luck with it!

Ovid

Love it! That's my favorite MR2 body and it sounds like you are taking your build in a good direction. Those 2.4's are robust and fairly torque'y right out of the box. With the TRD supercharger on it I bet it will be more fun than a barrel of hyperactive monkeys. Good luck with it!

Out of the last two generation MR2's, this gen is differently the best looking.

I always had a soft spot for the final gen because it was so rare to see on the road.

Out of the last two generation MR2's, this gen is differently the best looking.

I always had a soft spot for the final gen because it was so rare to see on the road.
really? out here in california in the 00s I would see a number of them

they are getting rarer now, but I think I see more of them than SW20s

Why did you pick a 2AZ-FE over a MZ?

the options available for power boosters, there are many turbo kits available because its your basic I4, and there is an OEM supplied boost option that can get you to 300 crank with pully changes

but the biggest reason? no one had done it before lol

Ovid

really? out here in california in the 00s I would see a number of them

they are getting rarer now, but I think I see more of them than SW20s

the options available for power boosters, there are many turbo kits available because its your basic I4, and there is an OEM supplied boost option that can get you to 300 crank with pully changes

but the biggest reason? no one had done it before lol
I'm in NYC.

I rarely saw them when they were still being manufactured and I never see them now.

You seeing them in Cali makes perfect sense though. Seems like a perfect car for that region. Small, decent MPG and has a convertible top.

Top Bottom