• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Didn't know they are out. Surprised as the 991.2 C4(S) and GTS aren't out yet. Wonder what the 0-60 will be now that the C2S does it in 3.4 seconds.

A little blurry since I was zooming in since it was dark and in motion, but yeah they're out. You can see the quad exhaust in the second pic. My neighborhood is an automotive paradise, though. Everything new can usually be found here within the 1st week of availability.

fn6bxro.jpg

I'm in NYC.

I rarely saw them when they were still being manufactured and I never see them now.

You seeing them in Cali makes perfect sense though. Seems like a perfect car for that region. Small, decent MPG and has a convertible top.

convertible is one reason why the enthusiast doesnt seem to take to them.

I think it has to do with two main reasons: no forced induction option and lack of available swaps.

to swap in a serious engine you have to cut the chassis. 2AZ and 2AR could go in pretty easily, but the car would need to have the E153 in it, or IDK it could work with the stock transmission

No Love

Banned
just finished up my swap, after trying to avoid the immobilizer, I gave up and wired it in, was easy after everything

1mWrQVt.jpg

its my 91 MR2 with a 2.4 engine from a Scion tC, Toyota Camry.

like 165hp or something, makes the car about 24xxlbs. bolts to the stock toyota transmission in the MR2, Turbo and NA (theres another guy I inspired to do this, his is a turbo 2AZ with 250hp and the E153 turbo transmission, he is almost done)

imma put the TRD supercharger on it, something like 240chp.
6D4BUIb.jpg

(shot from awhile ago test fitting the supercharger)

heres a current video of the car running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ILd7Py5Cyg&feature=youtu.be

I snapped an axle on the first test drive.

Love this so much. Just wish it was the Tacoma/Camry V6. No matter, with boost this will be a fun, insanely reliable swap! MR2's are amazing

finalflame

Gonna go look at a Fiesta ST today for shits and giggles. Always been curious about them and the dealership near me has 2 on the lot.

ascii42

Not everyone can tame a Hellcat.

13221529_653827823890_3631037985773457146_n.jpg

13245361_653827828880_4927418834137238865_n.jpg

I almost shed a tear. If I was driving mine at this time I would've stopped and hugged him. From what I saw it looked like a total loss.

On a...straight road? What could he have done? Floored it trying to get into the left lane?

kharma45

Not everyone can tame a Hellcat.

13221529_653827823890_3631037985773457146_n.jpg

13245361_653827828880_4927418834137238865_n.jpg

I almost shed a tear. If I was driving mine at this time I would've stopped and hugged him. From what I saw it looked like a total loss.

Don't be a dickhead and use your phone whilst driving. One of my biggest irritations on the road.

matmanx1

Gonna go look at a Fiesta ST today for shits and giggles. Always been curious about them and the dealership near me has 2 on the lot.

You definitely should. They are hilarious little cars.

Top Gear teaser.

Car Tinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=j1k6DQQ1gU0&ab_channel=TopGear

Matt LeBlanc is going to get a lot of laughs out of me. He's probably going to play-up his persona from BBC's Episodes.

Yeah, I agree, although that particular video has over 11,000 dislikes on Youtube. I was like, what?? That's a whole lot of hate for the new Top Gear.

AlphaSnake

Congrats. Gorgeous. One of the best cars ever designed. Light, straightforward, quick, sleek. And honestly the Peugeot looks amazing in that mid-blue color.

So much of a car's timelessness and beauty relies on the paint looking slick. The Boxster is 20 years old but this one here just looks so mint that I could stare at it all day and I'm not exactly a fan of the fried egg lights, either.

Anyone have experiences with the second generation TSX?
Thinking about trying to find a lower mileage one for the wife.

It looks like a nicer accord.

My only experience driving one is at the Mid-Ohio driving school. It handles surprisingly well on track, the six-speed is a great shifter and the air conditioning can keep it cool even during flat out racing.

I'm sure this is helpful information for your wife.

My only experience driving one is at the Mid-Ohio driving school. It handles surprisingly well on track, the six-speed is a great shifter and the air conditioning can keep it cool even during flat out racing.

I'm sure this is helpful information for your wife.

Ha.

I'm sure its super helpful information for her 20m commute to work everyday.

No Love

Banned
Okay, now that is hot.

It's no lithe, agile Boxster but I can't help be reminded of the movie Babe:

"That'll do, pig." 😂

My biggest irritations on the road are people who tailgate, and it seem like its always an SUV or a big truck...

Very nice!

Thanks man! You should get one, I know you're a big fan of pure driving experiences.

The exterior has aged really, really well on those but man, I love that interior the most. So simple, yet so functional. I could drive in it all day long.

I too love the interior, it's much nicer than the E92 335i's/135i's, I was looking at before.. Interesting note: it was originally caramel and previous owner did a full swap to black and left the leather dash pad... which doesn't come on normal black interiors.

Damn. Now that's a nice pick up. Congrats dude.

Not a Porsche but it's almost as good.

Have never seen that color before. What a beauty.

It is called Imola Red. It changes color depending on lighting and photos. Really fun, awesome color that I've always wanted an M5 or M3 in.

Damn, the M5 is clean.

Did you buy it in that condition or did you have to do work on it?

It came in that condition. So I'll make it even better... front plate has gotta go for sure. Going to enslave, err... "recruit" my youngest brother to use my orbital polisher to really bring the shine out.

No Love

Banned
Oh and it came with some goodies

All maintenance records complete from day 1
SuperSprint Headers ($2000!!!)
Full exhaust + xpipe
BC Coilovers (not my first choice but meh)
Jailbreak ECU tuned
275mm Pilot Super Sport square setup
Complete front suspension overhaul with new control arms, poly bushings
UUC V12 upgraded clutch with lightweight flywheel
UUC transmission mounts
FXR retrofit LED Angel Eye headlights from Umnitza
Complete brake overhaul: Master cylinder, brake booster, front and rear caliper rebuild. Front caliper brass pins (removed rubber bushings). SS lines front and rear.
HAWK HT-10 brake pads front and rear
High carbon content flat brake rotors

Fully loaded with every option including Parking Distance Control and M-Audio, rear folddown seats, Extended Leather... ideal options IMO.

Thanks to the tune, headers, and exhaust, it's making around 380-400 whp/380-400 wtq depending on what dyno you ask. It has monster torque everywhere, well beyond a stock E39 M5, and the top end pull is ridiculous. Makes an E92 M3 seem so tame in terms of powerband. S62 has gotta be my favorite M motor ever.

Oh. And the sound. The fucking sound. Best sounding car I've ever owned. The headers and exhaust are absolutely insane. I am going to rig up some of my brother's recording equipment and get driving videos for you guys. No cell phone video could ever do it justice.

Since the car came with almost all the mods I would've done to a stock one anyways, I will probably focus mostly on aesthetics, tech gadgets and functionality. I plan to upgrade the head unit with a more advanced, modern one with touchscreen + Android, and I'd like to retrofit some modern high quality projectors into the headlights for much better lighting output. Edit: Nevermind! Went through the maintenqnce records and just found out it already has retrofitted projectors! "FXR retrofit LED Angel Eye headlights from Umnitza" is what the note says. Score!!

Eventually I'll probably rip out the coilovers and throw some Bilsteins or Ohlins in there... and if I'm feeling spicy, I might grab an ESS supercharger and swap injectors and fuel pump to run E85 so I can get 500-550 whp out of her safely without 91 garbage octane. But that's a long ways away, she's so perfect NA that it'll take a while for that desire to boil over. Plus I'd probably be a paranoid nut and change the rod bearings too since supposedly that's a potential, not common failing point on the S62. Ironic thing is that despite being more complex than the M62 found in the E39 540i, the S62 is far more reliable and is less finicky to maintain.

No Love

Banned

I have a lot of experience with Acuras and Hondas. The 2nd gen TSX IS just a nicer Accord, as is the TL. They share a common platform and many parts. I highly recommend the V6, Honda's V6 motors are fantastic and extremely reliable with amazing MPG so there's absolutely no reason to suffer with a 4 cylinder. My CL-S 6MT has 258k miles on the original motor and trans and still pulls hard.

But for about the same price you can probably get a 4th gen TL which is far superior.

Edit: sorry for the triple post, guys. Editing all this shit on my phone sucks.

I would get it if they put that engine in to a Mazda 3

There were a few rumors back in February, or at least early this year, that the Mazdaspeed division has managed to fit the engine inside the Mazda 3's bay.

Whether that'll see the light of day is a different story altogether though. Besides that, I haven't heard much after. I'm hoping to see at least something at the end of the year though as I'm pretty sure Mazda has nothing to show for in the Tokyo Motor Show. So either we get some kind of new Mazdaspeed or it's gonna be a rotary.

Yeah, I agree, although that particular video has over 11,000 dislikes on Youtube. I was like, what?? That's a whole lot of hate for the new Top Gear.

Those dislikes are from those dipshits who think it's okay for Clarkson to punch a guy in the face coz he couldn't get his fnckin' steak.

From what I've heard about Chris Evans, sure he might not deserve to run the show, but I'll give it a chance. It's not like Top Gear's existence is gonna cannibalize The Grand Tour's viewers anyway, so I don't understand why these turds are so desperate to bring the old crew back.

Mine today.

Oh my.

Funny you got this after Motor Trend put this video out yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

It's basically them saying that the E39 is the GOAT and Chevy basically copy pasted the E39 and put it inside the Malibu's body to become the spiritual successor lol.

No Love

Banned
Oh my.

Funny you got this after Motor Trend put this video out yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

It's basically them saying that the E39 is the GOAT and Chevy basically copy pasted the E39 and put it inside the Malibu's body to become the spiritual successor lol.

Really awesome video, on M5Board the owner of the M5 posted that Randy said that the blown Koni shock cost over a second so barring that, the laptimes are very close which is impressive.

The rental car comments are so true though. Pretty sad that the M5 was released in 1998 and a 2016 model " spiritual successor" still falls short (especially in exterior/interior quality, the SS looks godawful inside and bland as hell outside.)

That being said, all E39 models drive phenomenally. My 530i flip car I've been driving the last week is an absolute joy to drive. They just don't make 'em this good anymore.

SliChillax

Mine today.

My best friend has an E39 M5 and it's a wonderful machine absolutely. Congrats on your purchase :) Btw are the rear cup holders broken? :p

Btw I know the RX Vision has been announced last year but I just need to say how deeply in love I am with this design. It's so sad because I know that they either wont produce it or if they will, it'll loose the awesome proportions.

2016-MazdaRXVision-05.jpg

2016-MazdaRXVision-06.jpg

I have a lot of experience with Acuras and Hondas. The 2nd gen TSX IS just a nicer Accord, as is the TL. They share a common platform and many parts. I highly recommend the V6, Honda's V6 motors are fantastic and extremely reliable with amazing MPG so there's absolutely no reason to suffer with a 4 cylinder. My CL-S 6MT has 258k miles on the original motor and trans and still pulls hard.

But for about the same price you can probably get a 4th gen TL which is far superior.

Edit: sorry for the triple post, guys. Editing all this shit on my phone sucks.

4th gen that much better than the 3rd gen?
The 4th gen styling is not my favorite.

Akira

My best friend has an E39 M5 and it's a wonderful machine absolutely. Congrats on your purchase :) Btw are the rear cup holders broken? :p

Btw I know the RX Vision has been announced last year but I just need to say how deeply in love I am with this design. It's so sad because I know that they either wont produce it or if they will, it'll loose the awesome proportions.

The RX Vision is the most beautiful concept car design in the last 20 years.

ApharmdX

Banned

This car is a beauty queen. I adore this design.

matmanx1

Oh and it came with some goodies

All maintenance records complete from day 1
SuperSprint Headers ($2000!!!)
Full exhaust + xpipe
BC Coilovers (not my first choice but meh)
Jailbreak ECU tuned
275mm Pilot Super Sport square setup
Complete front suspension overhaul with new control arms, poly bushings
UUC V12 upgraded clutch with lightweight flywheel
UUC transmission mounts
FXR retrofit LED Angel Eye headlights from Umnitza
Complete brake overhaul: Master cylinder, brake booster, front and rear caliper rebuild. Front caliper brass pins (removed rubber bushings). SS lines front and rear.
HAWK HT-10 brake pads front and rear
High carbon content flat brake rotors

Wow! You definitely have to post some audio clips if nothing else. I want to hear what it sounds like! I do question why the previous owner would let a car like that go, though. My guess is even with all of that work done the E39 M5 is still somewhat expensive to run and maintain over a long period of time. Is that a fair assessment?

That thing is gorgeous. Make it, Mazda!

No Love

Banned
That's an extremely nice BMW. That body style is timeless.

Thanks! I do think in 50+ years from now people will still be drooling over this body style. Blows my mind that it's a 20 year old chassis.

Thanks! You know, I haven't checked. The front ones still work, amazingly enough.

4th gen that much better than the 3rd gen?
The 4th gen styling is not my favorite.

No, 3rd gen is still the best but the autos are garbage so only the 6 speed is viable.

Congrats. Thing of beauty that is. One of the best M cars BMW has ever made. Looking forward to the videos.

I feel the same way.Feels like it's all downhill from the E39 M5/E46 M3/E92 M3. :/

Wow! You definitely have to post some audio clips if nothing else. I want to hear what it sounds like! I do question why the previous owner would let a car like that go, though. My guess is even with all of that work done the E39 M5 nee still somewhat expensive to run and maintain over a long period of time. Is that a fair assessment?

Definitely going to get audio clips for you guys, just gotta set up the right equipment to try to capture the sound. If anyone is in SoCal and wants to hear it and get a ridealong, feel free to hit me up.

The previous owner had it for almost 4 years and explained to me that now that he has a Tesla, he's 100% on EV and will not ever go back to a gasoline car. Plus he wanted the garage space to buy motorcycles to take to the track. He's gonna go pick up a Ducati next week.

Eh, it's not bad now that parts costs are way reduced like brakes etc. It's definitely more expensive than say, an S2000 or Evo, but it's nowhere near the level of say a mid-'00s 750i or E60 M5. Motor is rock solid, mostly just a matter of consumables, bushings, and random sensors that go out. This car has had a lot of stuff replaced already preventatively so it's not going to fuck with me much, hopefully. I expect to spend about $1.5-2k/yr in maintenance. E39's are very well built, reliable cars that can be fixed cheaply these days.

Also, I drove it for about 3 hours last night... wow. Phenomenal in every way. The powerband is massive. From 1500+ RPM there is a tsunami of torque. The turn in feels so agile and makes the 530i feel like a slug. Very very balanced, grippy cars. The 275mm square setup puts in work and makes the steering super responsive. And that sound... every time you hit the gas is pure aural pleasure. Like a blowjob for your ears.

Oh and while stuck in traffic due to a nasty accident, a Hellcat popped up a couple lanes over (hideous green with really tacky livery on it) and he wanted a revoff.

Man, the Hellcat sounded like hot garbage. Very tinny, bass and harmonics were severely lacking. The only thing I liked was the crackling exhaust as the revs came down. Was incredibly disappointed.

AlphaSnake

I used to think that the E39>All BMWs. But I think the E60 M5 was the peak of BMWs. It's still handsome, comes equipped with all of the necessary options, handles spectacularly well, and with a simple muffler delete sounds like the Gods and yet...no drone. The SMG was rather shit, but the 6MT was glorious. Plus, ten screaming cylinders.

SliChillax

I used to think that the E39>All BMWs. But I think the E60 M5 was the peak of BMWs. It's still handsome, comes equipped with all of the necessary options, handles spectacularly well, and with a simple muffler delete sounds like the Gods and yet...no drone. The SMG was rather shit, but the 6MT was glorious. Plus, ten screaming cylinders.

The smg isn't that shit if you tune the software and use it in manual mode most of the time. Interior wise though I think the E60 was a major step back from the E39. They look and feel so cheap in my opinion, the E39 feels more solid.

AlphaSnake

The smg isn't that shit if you tune the software and use it in manual mode most of the time. Interior wise though I think the E60 was a major step back from the E39. They look and feel so cheap in my opinion, the E39 feels more solid.

I disagree. The materials in the E6x were great. I frequently drove my brother's M6 until he traded it, and it never rattled, barely had any cheap plastics. The F10 on the other hand felt considerably cheaper and that was a massive step back just like the F30s compared to the E9x.

As far as the SMG, I always drove it in manual, but it still didn't prevent the transmission from being too slow. And no tune can solve the fact that it's operated by a single clutch - maybe it proves the shifts a bit, but I've had friends shift their M5s faster than any SMG. That's the embarrassing part.

SliChillax

I disagree. The materials in the E6x were great. I frequently drove my brother's M6 until he traded it, and it never rattled, barely had any cheap plastics. The F10 on the other hand felt considerably cheaper and that was a massive step back just like the F30s compared to the E9x.

I find this very weird. Maybe US spec cars are different? Or maybe the E60's that I've been in have been badly maintained. I never said anything about rattles, only cheap plastics and materials. I find the F10 to be a step up in every way compared to the E60 in terms of materials. Keep in mind I've only been in the extended leather versions of the E39, E60 and F10 so I can't compare the base models. I think the same way of the F30 compared to the E9x. My friends M4 is beautifully finished on the inside, amazing leather everywhere which doesn't come close to the cheap plastics of the E9x.

Top Bottom