• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I want a e39 5series...but not the m5, too much gas.

I thought the same thing. I like the E39 M5 model very much, but the M5 are gas guzzlers...same reason why so many awesome looking and new cars are amazing to me, but when I look at the MPG...I just can't rationalize them. If I made more money, maybe I wouldn't care, but seeing MPG like 14/19 or 17/22 aren't attractive.

Oh and it came with some goodies

All maintenance records complete from day 1
SuperSprint Headers ($2000!!!)
Full exhaust + xpipe
BC Coilovers (not my first choice but meh)
Jailbreak ECU tuned
275mm Pilot Super Sport square setup
Complete front suspension overhaul with new control arms, poly bushings
UUC V12 upgraded clutch with lightweight flywheel
UUC transmission mounts
FXR retrofit LED Angel Eye headlights from Umnitza
Complete brake overhaul: Master cylinder, brake booster, front and rear caliper rebuild. Front caliper brass pins (removed rubber bushings). SS lines front and rear.
HAWK HT-10 brake pads front and rear
High carbon content flat brake rotors

Fully loaded with every option including Parking Distance Control and M-Audio, rear folddown seats, Extended Leather... ideal options IMO.

Thanks to the tune, headers, and exhaust, it's making around 380-400 whp/380-400 wtq depending on what dyno you ask. It has monster torque everywhere, well beyond a stock E39 M5, and the top end pull is ridiculous. Makes an E92 M3 seem so tame in terms of powerband. S62 has gotta be my favorite M motor ever.

Oh. And the sound. The fucking sound. Best sounding car I've ever owned. The headers and exhaust are absolutely insane. I am going to rig up some of my brother's recording equipment and get driving videos for you guys. No cell phone video could ever do it justice.

Since the car came with almost all the mods I would've done to a stock one anyways, I will probably focus mostly on aesthetics, tech gadgets and functionality. I plan to upgrade the head unit with a more advanced, modern one with touchscreen + Android, and I'd like to retrofit some modern high quality projectors into the headlights for much better lighting output. Edit: Nevermind! Went through the maintenqnce records and just found out it already has retrofitted projectors! "FXR retrofit LED Angel Eye headlights from Umnitza" is what the note says. Score!!

Eventually I'll probably rip out the coilovers and throw some Bilsteins or Ohlins in there... and if I'm feeling spicy, I might grab an ESS supercharger and swap injectors and fuel pump to run E85 so I can get 500-550 whp out of her safely without 91 garbage octane. But that's a long ways away, she's so perfect NA that it'll take a while for that desire to boil over. Plus I'd probably be a paranoid nut and change the rod bearings too since supposedly that's a potential, not common failing point on the S62. Ironic thing is that despite being more complex than the M62 found in the E39 540i, the S62 is far more reliable and is less finicky to maintain.

Wow, show pictures and updates next time. All of this sounds like awesome projects for the future. Amazing looking car. I've never sat in one of the classic/best BMW's before (only the more recent ones from the last 2-3 years?), but I've only heard good things about the E39.

Are you going to take it to the track? I'm too afraid to take cars to the track and screw something up.

Wow, show pictures and updates next time. All of this sounds like awesome projects for the future. Amazing looking car. I've never sat in one of the classic/best BMW's before (only the more recent ones from the last 2-3 years?), but I've only heard good things about the E39.

Are you going to take it to the track? I'm too afraid to take cars to the track and screw something up.

Buy insurance.

What kinda car do you have?

Don't worry about it, incidents on track are uncommon and you don't have to go any faster than you're comfortable going. Do it! You'll have a blast and learn a ton about your car.

Buy insurance.

What kinda car do you have?

I daily drive a Porsche Boxster 2005 (987). So it's pretty old but I love the way it handles on mountain and countryside roads.

Out of curiosity, what insurance covers incidents on racetracks such as if an engine blows out? How much would it normally cost?

Don't worry about it, incidents on track are uncommon and you don't have to go any faster than you're comfortable going. Do it! You'll have a blast and learn a ton about your car.

I guess the only race track closeby is Laguna Seca. I've always wanted to go, but never end up going into the actual racetrack.

I daily drive a Porsche Boxster 2005 (987). So it's pretty old but I love the way it handles on mountain and countryside roads.

Out of curiosity, what insurance covers incidents on racetracks such as if an engine blows out? How much would it normally cost?

I guess the only race track closeby is Laguna Seca. I've always wanted to go, but never end up going into the actual racetrack.

The insurance isn't something I've ever really looked into, but there are places that will do it but I think it's a few hundred an event.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2017 BRZ details out : http://www.subaru.com/2017-brz

* new Final Drive ratio
* different stability control thresholds
* optional Brembos

Acceptable mid-cycle refresh, but can't help but think they will try to stretch this generation out for another four years.

The original BRZ and FRS had 196HP right (even though it was frequently said to be 200)?

So an 9HP gain + shorter FD? That should make for a pretty peppy ride, actually.

FStop7

Banned
I find this very weird. Maybe US spec cars are different? Or maybe the E60's that I've been in have been badly maintained. I never said anything about rattles, only cheap plastics and materials. I find the F10 to be a step up in every way compared to the E60 in terms of materials. Keep in mind I've only been in the extended leather versions of the E39, E60 and F10 so I can't compare the base models. I think the same way of the F30 compared to the E9x. My friends M4 is beautifully finished on the inside, amazing leather everywhere which doesn't come close to the cheap plastics of the E9x.

My M6 doesn't have any rattles after nearly 6 years, but it only has 42k miles.

Interior quality wise I would say it's similar to an E46 M3, which was definitely better than the E92 M3.

I only drove an F10 M5 once but the interior was definitely not on the same level as the E60.

Someone in my office building has a brand new Rolls Wraith. White on white. Talk about a sick interior. She was parked next to me when I left for lunch and I stopped to drool for a few minutes. There are dozens of other cars I'd sooner own if I could afford a Wraith but I sure do appreciate what it is.

Insurance is based on the value of your car.

I pay $330 for a $55k valuation. I'd guess your car is likely half of that.

Coverage is for anything over $5k of damage though. I imagine a blown engine, which is unlikely for you, would be fully covered by insurance.

Evo X

My friend blew his Boxster engine while tracking and Porsche is covering the whole thing.

His car is still under warranty though. It's good to know that Porsche stands behind their product, even if you beat the shit out of it under the most intensive conditions. Nissan was voiding warranties for using the built-in launch control function of the GTR.

Insurance is based on the value of your car.

I pay $330 for a $55k valuation. I'd guess your car is likely half of that.

Coverage is for anything over $5k of damage though. I imagine a blown engine, which is unlikely for you, would be fully covered by insurance.

Hm, that's great to know then. What insurance do you use? I'll look into it once I get more free time.

My friend blew his Boxster engine while tracking and Porsche is covering the whole thing.

His car is still under warranty though. It's good to know that Porsche stands behind their product, even if you beat the shit out of it under the most intensive conditions. Nissan was voiding warranties for using the built-in launch control function of the GTR.

That's awesome. Mine is no longer under warranty since I bought this one used and definitely way after the warranty terms. I thought that taking a Porsche to the track would void the warranty?

SliChillax

This was parked at my uni's entrance just to remind us all students that we're peasants
7KkTzgl.jpg

jxY7ovi.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i'm kind of in the same boat (and relatively near that area). perhaps we could try to meet up and break our cherries together this summer?

ZetaEpyon

Trying to decide if I want to give up not having a car payment in exchange for having a new MX-5 in the garage. That test drive yesterday was so good, ughhh.

Evo X

Trying to decide if I want to give up not having a car payment in exchange for having a new MX-5 in the garage. That test drive yesterday was so good, ughhh.

The new MX-5 is freaking fantastic.

The only question you should be asking yourself is whether you want it in Soul Red or Ceramic White? :D

ZetaEpyon

Woot! Congrats.

I am going to take all the credit for that. lol

Haha, I'd actually already picked it out before I even posted that I was thinking about it. It's actually the only one they had in stock, but my god does it look good.

They had just gotten it in yesterday morning, so aside from them driving it around the parking lot to get it into the showroom, and to fill up gas across the street, I'm the only one who's driven it at all, starting with my test drive yesterday. :D

Naturally, it started raining as I was filling out the paperwork and whatnot. Of course. I think I'll be ok!

Well, I pulled the trigger.
Pics of sexy, brand new 2016 MX-5 Ceramic Metallic GT will be forthcoming!!

Congrats man!!

Welcome to the club!

Oh ND people here? Shall I make your wallet 2K lighter?:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1980.html

Not gonna lie, when I saw the thread at Miata.net, I immediately started writing an email to my sales guy at the dealership. Then I remembered that the RF is still coming at the end of the year and that prevented me from hitting the send button haha.

It's amazing what the modding community has done though. In a span of about a year, they've managed to do some crazy things with the ND. Whereas with the 10 year old NC, a full exhaust upgrade won't net you these kind of gains and you're basically needing to either go FI or swap the 2.0L engine with the 2.5L engine to get some crazy gains in HP and torque.

That said I'm super excited though. If a new rotary doesn't come out within the next 3 years, I'll definitely be swapping my NC for an ND.

Evo X

Mr.JWW's new video about the McLaren 650S conveys my thoughts very well. A nicely specced, barely used one is about the same price as a new 570S, which makes it an incredible bargain for a supercar.

Sure, it might not have the brand cache to the average person as a Ferrari, but the driving experience is truly out of this world and I think it's going to be the next addition to my garage instead of a 458 Italia.

https://youtu.be/j4SNaajpIEY

Falch

Haha, I'd actually already picked it out before I even posted that I was thinking about it. It's actually the only one they had in stock, but my god does it look good.

They had just gotten it in yesterday morning, so aside from them driving it around the parking lot to get it into the showroom, and to fill up gas across the street, I'm the only one who's driven it at all, starting with my test drive yesterday. :D

Naturally, it started raining as I was filling out the paperwork and whatnot. Of course. I think I'll be ok!

Beautiful! Enjoy it. I actually took a test drive in a ceramic metallic the other day. I'd consider it the best color for the mx-5 together with soul red and jet black.
I assume it's a manual, right? ;)

Mr.JWW's new video about the McLaren 650S conveys my thoughts very well. A nicely specced, barely used one is about the same price as a new 570S, which makes it an incredible bargain for a supercar.

Sure, it might not have the brand cache to the average person as a Ferrari, but the driving experience is truly out of this world and I think it's going to be the next addition to my garage instead of a 458 Italia.

https://youtu.be/j4SNaajpIEY

Anyone know who that JWW guy is? Came out of nowhere for me.

matmanx1

LOL. Hey, it's the little things that count.

Final drives are such a pivotal aspect to a car's performance, especially a sporty car.

I agree and to me, this is a huge reason why I find my MX-5 to be more "lively" feeling than my old 987 Boxster. On paper, the Boxster is about 1 second faster to 60 mph but by the seat of the pants, the Miata feels like it's pulling harder because of the gearing. So even though it's a slower car overall it's gearing, to me, makes it lots more fun to scoot around in.

Do it!!

Oh you did! Ceramic White is sooooo good. More pics and impressions when you can, please! And welcome to MX-5 / Miata Gaf!

rokkerkory

I don't like to street race but these 2 guys in a mustang gt with 'american muscle' was revving on me at the light and driving fast then slow, fast then slow to the next light. I just had to show them wassup. By mid 3rd gear they were a few cars behind and just gave up. I think it was a 2013 or so model. meh

2017 BRZ details out : http://www.subaru.com/2017-brz

* new Final Drive ratio
* different stability control thresholds
* optional Brembos

Acceptable mid-cycle refresh, but can't help but think they will try to stretch this generation out for another four years.

Some final drive really changes the car. Example is the NSX with JDM gear ratio, which pretty much transform the car.

Also, as much hate the 86 gets...I hardly see any 86 owners driving like jackasses..

congrats. very nice car...

ZetaEpyon

Got some nicer weather this afternoon and some solid driving in. I'm lucky enough to live close to a lot of twisty mid-speed roads; countless little river valleys that feed into the Mississippi River.

It's amazing just how effortless driving this thing is - it just goes exactly where you want it to without fighting at all. Quite the difference after having gotten very used to the torque steer of a Mazdaspeed 3 for nine years.

I think the best part has to be how it's just fun to drive regardless of speed; don't need to be going super fast to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Which is not to say that it's not quick enough anyway. The low weight is very noticeable off the line, and then getting into the upper RPMs in third and fourth gear? Yes. Oh very much yes.

Oh wow! 180hp and torque in an ND AT THE WHEELS for only 2k? And it sounds really good to! If and when I get an ND, I will be looking up the good folks at goodwin racing!

They're claiming a header, pipe and tune can net +45 whp. I'd want to see some independent testing before dropping two large.

GHG

Gold Member
I know it's not a new video but I've just come across this while researching the 911 991 S model:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-eXUnZrykDY

This isn't normal is it? What is the 991 like in terms of reliability?

Which reminds me, I still need to do a write up of my 3 years of BMW X6 ownership. I'll do it at some point this week when I get a moment. But in preview it will likely be something like this:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom