• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

So earlier today my daughter, who has never had any kind of reaction more than "car!" or "blue car!" before, saw a picture of a black TRD Chaser on my desktop background and said "wow, that's a cool car!"

Brought a tear to my eye!

My daughter told me last night (while taking her bike out of the garage) that "I really like the wheels daddy" on my Chaser.... the feels were real...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Help me find wheels for my Jaguar XKR. I prefer to stick to 19s. And of course it has to be the correct bolt pattern. Who has some ideas?

Hesemonni

Banned
Spent my Florida vacation driving around in a 2016 Ford Mustang GT and had a great time. A friend of mine had had a 2012 Maserati Grancabrio and honestly the Mustang was more fun. And yeah, Maserati's a looker, but Mustang's looks are really well thought out too.

It costing ~$46.000 in the USA and ~90.000 € ($100k pretty much in today's exchange rate) in Finland really puts our car taxation in perspective.

I don't know where else to post this, and don't want to make a new thread just for it. If anyone could help me out and give me some peace of mind, though, it would be appreciated.

A family member has a 2015 Chevy Silverado, I believe it is. It's a newer GM truck.

I drove into town last night to get some food with a friend, and parked in a lot. I put it in park, turned the engine off and then locked the doors when I left.

When I went back to the truck, I found I could not start it. The ignition simply wouldn't turn at all, as if it was locked. The wheel was too. If I turned the key, the tail lights would come on, as would the touchscreen, but that was it.

I ended up having to call a family friend who's a mechanic. Of course, he got it working in seconds, by 'reefing' on the steering wheel then turning the key in the ignition. He said it happens, and not to park with my wheels to the side.

Is this something to worry about? I'm now worried the truck is defective and that I will get stuck somewhere if I drive it to run errands.

I don't know where else to post this, and don't want to make a new thread just for it. If anyone could help me out and give me some peace of mind, though, it would be appreciated.

A family member has a 2015 Chevy Silverado, I believe it is. It's a newer GM truck.

I drove into town last night to get some food with a friend, and parked in a lot. I put it in park, turned the engine off and then locked the doors when I left.

When I went back to the truck, I found I could not start it. The ignition simply wouldn't turn at all, as if it was locked. The wheel was too. If I turned the key, the tail lights would come on, as would the touchscreen, but that was it.

I ended up having to call a family friend who's a mechanic. Of course, he got it working in seconds, by 'reefing' on the steering wheel then turning the key in the ignition. He said it happens, and not to park with my wheels to the side.

Is this something to worry about? I'm now worried the truck is defective and that I will get stuck somewhere if I drive it to run errands.

Do you know if this recall/campaign was performed on this particular vehicle?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM491790/RCRIT-15V640-0540.pdf

Symptoms sound similar to what you faced.

Anion

Oh god. We've already got enough people shilling for Porsche in this thread already as it is. We don't need you to start shilling for Apple as well!
Loool
Apparently samsung's flagship phone has a better camera according to some benchmark tests hahaha. I have replaced this phone 2 times for random issues already, so I would not shill for it haha.
Help me find wheels for my Jaguar XKR. I prefer to stick to 19s. And of course it has to be the correct bolt pattern. Who has some ideas?
I have an idea but it will cost a bit haha

Go visit HRE's website. And drool.

Spent my Florida vacation driving around in a 2016 Ford Mustang GT and had a great time. A friend of mine had had a 2012 Maserati Grancabrio and honestly the Mustang was more fun. And yeah, Maserati's a looker, but Mustang's looks are really well thought out too.

It costing ~$46.000 in the USA and ~90.000 € ($100k pretty much in today's exchange rate) in Finland really puts our car taxation in perspective.
Holly crap...that's quite a price hike

Every car does this, it's a steering wheel lockout in the ignition cylinder so that the car can't be driven without the key. What happened is that you turned the wheel past the lockout with the key out, at which point it bound up and couldn't release by turning the key. What the guy did was turn the steering wheel even more so that it wasn't on the lockout so the key was free to turn and release the lockout.

Might also be the above recall (and your friend should definitely check on that), but what you described is typical to all vehicles.

Edit: Like this guy here! Getting towed without a key in the ignition, turns the wheel and oh shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xnw568hNo

I actually had to weld this thing shut in my track car because it's part of the column, not the ignition lock, and wouldn't that be a fucking surprise going around a corner in a race?

Every car does this, it's a steering wheel lockout in the ignition cylinder so that the car can't be driven without the key. What happened is that you turned the wheel past the lockout with the key out, at which point it bound up and couldn't release by turning the key. What the guy did was turn the steering wheel even more so that it wasn't on the lockout so the key was free to turn and release the lockout.

Might also be the above recall (and your friend should definitely check on that), but what you described is typical to all vehicles.

Edit: Like this guy here! Getting towed without a key in the ignition, turns the wheel and oh shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xnw568hNo

I actually had to weld this thing shut in my track car because it's part of the column, not the ignition lock, and wouldn't that be a fucking surprise going around a corner in a race?

Thanks for the info

He said he really pulled on the wheel. I'd tried, but didn't want to break anything.

It was kind of embarrassing, because I had a female friend with me.

This pollen nonsense has been getting worse and worse past two weeks.. It's June, I thought I'd be over by now.

Usually wash every two weeks but its been almost a month now as its really pointless to do so.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Porsche shill
Jaguar shill
Miata shill

what's else do we have?

Pantera shill, reporting for duty.

pfKRT9y.jpg

OaygT6X.jpg

Evo X

Just came back from my first track day with the GT4. Holy shit.

Had the whole track reserved for me and a few friends. It was ridiculously fun. Had two professionals shooting video and taking pics. Will post em up later.

Pantera shill, reporting for duty.

pfKRT9y.jpg

OaygT6X.jpg

Shill away, Panteras are rad as fuck. Look up rad in the dictionary, it's a picture of a Pantera with no words.

Had the whole track reserved for me and a few friends. It was ridiculously fun. Had two professionals shooting video and taking pics. Will post em up later.

You should share with regular OT GAF, they love cool cars!

Nice. If you need a slow car to lap you should totally invite me next time, lol.

rokkerkory

I knew I forgot about one...

What do auto-gaf generally hate? just the gt86?

I don't hate gt86 / BR-Z at all... they are nice cars for their price range and will hold their own on a track with a good driver.

I do hate rice still however, they still exist today. Also hate stance crap.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Saw an M2 in person today for the first time. The blue color you see in all the magazines/websites/press photos.

The color was gorgeous, and the brakes/wheels look great. But gotta say, in person, the proportions didn't work for me. The back end didn't look fancy at all. The wheel well was bulbous and the wheels looked too big for the vehicle. I know it's a small car - and that's why people love it - but it looked like a small car with too large of features.

I know I'll get called crazy - but trust me, I loved the look of the thing in press photos. Before today, it was one of my favorite looking vehicles of the last few years.

It sure did sound great, though.

No Love

Banned
Saw an M2 in person today for the first time. The blue color you see in all the magazines/websites/press photos.

The color was gorgeous, and the brakes/wheels look great. But gotta say, in person, the proportions didn't work for me. The back end didn't look fancy at all. The wheel well was bulbous and the wheels looked too big for the vehicle. I know it's a small car - and that's why people love it - but it looked like a small car with too large of features.

I know I'll get called crazy - but trust me, I loved the look of the thing in press photos. Before today, it was one of my favorite looking vehicles of the last few years.

It sure did sound great, though.

I can't see there being any way it sounds good at all considering the M4 sounds TERRIBLE. Comparing E9x M3 vs M3/M4 sound makes the F8x sound like tinny trash. Damn shame.

Pterion

I can't see there being any way it sounds good at all considering the M4 sounds TERRIBLE. Comparing E9x M3 vs M3/M4 sound makes the F8x sound like tinny trash. Damn shame.
Even on youtube, the M2 sounds way better than the M4, so I can believe it sounds good in real life.

Bluetooth, leather, power/heated seats, non-steel wheels, better sound system, satellite radio, etc.

So something more high end. You'll probably have to make a trade off in dependability switching from a base civic.

I kinda want a newer car as well. Although the features I want are A/C, non broken/missing interior, and a stereo that can listen to both the radio and mp3 cd's.

otakuderek

So something more high end. You'll probably have to make a trade off in dependability switching from a base civic.

I kinda want a newer car as well. Although the features I want are A/C, non broken/missing interior, and a stereo that can listen to both the radio and mp3 cd's.

I have a Civic that has those features for you lol.

As for a more high end car, I've been looking at the 2016 Mustang GT and Infiniti Q50. Both are slick looking cars. Mustangs have been a family thing for as long as I can remember, but I love the look of the Q50. I need to go test drive both sometime.

I have a Civic that has those features for you lol.

Sure, I'll trade you my
broken
mercedes for it, plus $500. Thats a pretty sweet deal.
For real though, I have thought about getting a civic, but I'd probably try to find a used si model. At the least I'd want a manual transmission, as I hate automatics.

Anyway, in my never ending car repair news. I finally got my automatic trans out of the maxima.

Trans is out
DSCN2521.jpg

This weekend I need to put the manual in place and make some measurements so I can get the cross member fabbed up. I wish I had the proper one, but I'm sure trying to find one would be almost impossible.

But hey, that shouldn't be too bad, at least it won't be hot outside

oh...

saturdays%20weather.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit, 118 is miserable. and 80 as a low is worse. yuck yuck yuck.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I got the Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra installed by Superior Detailer (http://superiordetailer.com) over in Orlando. Florida Auto-GAF if any of you want to do this to your car, I hiiiiighly recommend it. The bra comes with an amazing warranty that covers it for 10 years against yellowing, peeling, discoloration, etc. They even guarantee it'll never swirl, because the wrap is self-healing with normal maintenance. A simple water-based quick detailer wipe down will prevent it from ever swirling up. Absolutely incredible stuff.

Check out SD's site: http://superiordetailer.com/

They work on some extremely high-end cars. Here are the pics of my work.

So which is the before and after? If you can't tell, then that's the whole point. Obviously you can see the first pic is the polish application. Before a clear bra is done, you have to remove swirling with a layer of polish (not wax). You can clearly tell the difference between one side and the other, and even still there are some small swirls remaining, which would require a compound and then top coat. But when you're wrapping a car, it's not necessary as you're essentially adding a thick layer of clear over the existing paint.

The wrap actually goes around the edges to prevent you from seeing any lines or seams. Furthermore, the printers print the wraps in stages, which are then joined together during the application process. In the close up shot of the mirror, you can't see a seam. If you feel around with your nails, you'll eventually stumble upon it, but to the naked eye, it's nearly invisible and looks like one huge cover. The lack of seaming is also dependent on the skill of your detailer. As you can tell, I'm extremely happy with my application.

And yes, Porsche-GAF that is a Spyder in the background of the last pic.

Next stop for this car is a complete decontamination of the paint and heavy protection against the elements. The paint is swirled, but as you can see it is a gorgeous metallic black that has tons of luster and pop. It will get a full polish, as well as a coating of a product called GTechniq Crystal Serum, which is a hydrophobic top coat that repels water even at a standstill. It's ideal at preventing water spots (especially from shitty sprinklers with reclaimed water), repelling rain at speeds as low as 20MPH (at highway speeds the car will basically dry itself off), preventing dirt, dust, bird poop from adhering to the surface, and so forth. The Porsche Spyder in the background has it, and the water literally rolled right off off the rear deck with so much as a gust of air from the owner's.

If you daily drive your cars, the protection will last you 3 years, if you daily drive and garage the car, 5+ years. If you drive it mostly at night times + garage it, you can get up to 10 years of protection from Crystal Serum. It's that good. You also don't need to have it washed with soap and water (unless you drove it through mud and let it sit or something crazy). GTechniq offers a pretty solid quick detailer that'll keep the coat clean and clear all the way through. Anyway, I've rambled enough about my detail plans for the car. This post was primarily for the clear bra. I'm very excited about finally getting it done, and now I can drive the car anywhere I want finally.

matmanx1

I've had the new Camaro for over a month now. It's the best car.

More details, please!
Washed up my DD this evening. She is barebones and still going strong, but I think I want to upgrade to a more powerful vehicle with all the features.

You know the answer is almost always Miata, right? =P

So I got the Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra installed by Superior Detailer (http://superiordetailer.com) over in Orlando. Florida Auto-GAF if any of you want to do this to your car, I hiiiiighly recommend it. The bra comes with an amazing warranty that covers it for 10 years against yellowing, peeling, discoloration, etc. They even guarantee it'll never swirl, because the wrap is self-healing with normal maintenance. A simple water-based quick detailer wipe down will prevent it from ever swirling up. Absolutely incredible stuff.

Looks fantastic! Very, very nice, Alpha. I love the paint on the Jag. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the clear bra and detail?

SummitAve

Banned
New bumper + painting materials/labor will be rather expensive. And paint matching is a real pain too.

Well I suppose this doesn't protect from anything that would actually require getting a new bumper so I should have asked how much to repaint one. Maybe I have a different priorities not driving a super nice Jag, but at the end of the day it's just a plastic bumper right? Why would you not be able to drive your car anywhere you want before the bra?

Edit: $650 is actually very reasonable. I was expecting thousands.

Top Bottom