• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
More details, please!

You know the answer is almost always Miata, right? =P

Looks fantastic! Very, very nice, Alpha. I love the paint on the Jag. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the clear bra and detail?

The full detail has yet to be performed. The wrap cost me $650 for the front + mirrors.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Looks good, but all of that for only 3 years of protection for daily driving? What would it cost for a new bumper?

Well I suppose this doesn't protect from anything that would actually require getting a new bumper so I should have asked how much to repaint one. Maybe I have a different priorities not driving a super nice Jag, but at the end of the day it's just a plastic bumper right? Why would you not be able to drive your car anywhere you want before the bra?

Edit: $650 is actually very reasonable. I was expecting thousands.

I'm not sure you read the post correctly. The clear bra will last 10 years warrantied. The Crystal Serum DETAIL will last 3 years+ depending on how you drive and climate (salt, sun, rain, etc). The clear wrap protects you from stone chips on the highway, which if you accumulate enough of will require a new bumper + paint + labor which can cost anywhere from $400 - $1000+ all depending on the car.

So my post was about two different things. A wrap and a detail to come later to protect the rest of the paint from harsh elements such as the sun, reclaimed water, and rain.

Totally would try it out, but I want to have 4 seats at least in case I have a kid in the next 2-3 years.

Buy two Miatas then. Problem solved!

I may have the opportunity to try an STI this afternoon while the Outback is in for service. Debating because I know once I drive I'll start running the numbers to dump the 86.

More details, please!

First and foremost, the car looks amazing and aggressive as hell in person. It sounds incredible with the performance exhaust while in Sport/Track mode. Visibility is not an issue at all unless you want to see what is right behind your rear bumper. Even then it has a rear camera so that's not even an issue. The handling while in Sport mode is just amazing. I've never driven a car that controls and takes corners so well. It's also scary fast. You don't even realize at times how fast you're going. I'm still breaking it in so I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do but I have lost count of how many times I have looked at the HUD and realized i'm going 100 in a 60-70 zone. Really the only complaint I have is that the optional footwell lighting is weak as hell. You can barely see it unless it's very dark out.

Anion

Just washed my babe, now I smell like cherries thanks to meguiars

So I got the Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra installed by Superior Detailer (http://superiordetailer.com) over in Orlando. Florida Auto-GAF if any of you want to do this to your car, I hiiiiighly recommend it. The bra comes with an amazing warranty that covers it for 10 years against yellowing, peeling, discoloration, etc. They even guarantee it'll never swirl, because the wrap is self-healing with normal maintenance. A simple water-based quick detailer wipe down will prevent it from ever swirling up. Absolutely incredible stuff.

After detailing my car and finding the first road chip mark...I wish I did this lol.

Anion

Sure, I'll trade you my
broken
mercedes for it, plus $500. Thats a pretty sweet deal.
For real though, I have thought about getting a civic, but I'd probably try to find a used si model. At the least I'd want a manual transmission, as I hate automatics.

Anyway, in my never ending car repair news. I finally got my automatic trans out of the maxima.

Trans is out

This weekend I need to put the manual in place and make some measurements so I can get the cross member fabbed up. I wish I had the proper one, but I'm sure trying to find one would be almost impossible.

But hey, that shouldn't be too bad, at least it won't be hot outside

oh...
How do you even live in such a place. 90* is already my maximal threshold temp lol

The new Miata looks fabulous every time I see it. Absolutely adore that car, especially with that BBS wheel/brembo brake package.

Just came back from my first track day with the GT4. Holy shit.

Had the whole track reserved for me and a few friends. It was ridiculously fun. Had two professionals shooting video and taking pics. Will post em up later.

So...when are you going to post em brah

While I do like miatas, it might turn into another project car. Although I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of owning a car and not modifying it, no matter what it is.

How do you even live in such a place. 90* is already my maximal threshold temp lol

You sort of get used to it. And spend most of the summer inside. On the other end, below 65°F is sweatshirt weather.

Anion

So I installed a Go Fast Bits Diverter for the turbo. Turbo lag feels much much less pronounced. Some moments where it feels completely gone now. For some reason the dual clutch seems to shift...faster...really odd.

Mercedes should have just installed this type of valve, since it makes the transmission do what it should have in the first dang place. Overall, I would recommend it. Not sure how much it would help other makes though

img_2423h6kef.jpg

You sort of get used to it. And spend most of the summer inside. On the other end, below 65°F is sweatshirt weather.
Lol 65 is shorts and sunglasses weather to me

Finally going to replace my alternator in the Miata. Hope it doesn't take too long. Apparently Mazdas engineers made some stupid decisions that require removing the intake manifold support arm

See how it goes

Well, I did get some car work done today. Some of my friends came over at 7am when it was only 80 outside, and we wired up my volvo for megasquirt. Unfortunately there's something wrong and the ignition part isn't working. Luckily I have the next two days off work to figure it out.

On the bad side, on my s13, the shocks on my rear coilovers blew out a couple days ago, and to make it worse, my rear brakes started grinding today. And its my only car thats actually drivable.

The want for an actual new car has never been stronger.

matmanx1

Finally going to replace my alternator in the Miata. Hope it doesn't take too long. Apparently Mazdas engineers made some stupid decisions that require removing the intake manifold support arm

See how it goes

Good luck to you! I know it will be great to get your MX-5 back on the road again. I start having serious withdrawals if I don't drive mine for a couple of days.

Well, I did get some car work done today. Some of my friends came over at 7am when it was only 80 outside, and we wired up my volvo for megasquirt. Unfortunately there's something wrong and the ignition part isn't working. Luckily I have the next two days off work to figure it out.

On the bad side, on my s13, the shocks on my rear coilovers blew out a couple days ago, and to make it worse, my rear brakes started grinding today. And its my only car thats actually drivable.

And good luck to you as well. Sounds like you have a handful going on right now so I hope you get it sorted.

Evo X

Hey sorry, still haven't gotten the professional pics or video yet, but here's some crappy ones I snapped with my cell.

The actual day was amazing. It was supposed to rain, but didn't. We had perfect 73F and dry conditions. It was just me and 5 friends on track so it was a stress free experience. 3 GT4s, an M3, and an Alpina B6. We were originally supposed to have more, but they couldn't make it. One friend with a Carmine GT4 was in Napa Valley. M4 and 991S guys were both busy with work. 458 guy chickened out because of the forecast.

We got to take out some fast go karts on a different track they had. One of my friends clipped a corner and flung mud all over my kart because I was right on his tail. Wish I had some red shells or banana peels to throw. lol

Great food and drinks were provided as well. Big shout out to Autobahn Country Club for hosting. We also got to tour some private garages and condos on site to see some sweet machinery.

As for the actual track driving, we started with some lead follow laps to learn, then had three separate high speed sessions lasting 20 mins each. Got to drive the car a good bit the way it was meant to be driven. It held up fantastically as you'd expect. Tires got super hot, up to 41 PSI, but brakes didn't have a hint of fade. There was an insane amount of grip in the turns and it was very easy to drive fast. I did a few laps with all assists turned off and couldn't notice much of a difference. They are not intrusive at all. Besides, the car has so much grip with those Michelin Cup 2s, that you can't really brake loose unless you purposely provoke the car. I was carrying some insane speed through the curves. Glad I had the 918 bucket seats. They hold you in so well that you don't have to brace at all and can just focus on steering. It was an intense experience that really tires you out. I have more appreciation for professional racers. They must be in incredible shape to do what they do.

BTW, the leading instructor was in a BMW M2 on slicks. God damn, that thing is fast. It was about even with the GT4s on the straightaways I'd say, and kept up in the curves too because of the race rubber and far superior driver. Amazing car for the money.

Z6q8c7y.jpg

2UReb8V.jpg

JXwva7M.jpg

ZYztNLL.jpg

qGC8Sss.jpg

QVDTZ9u.jpg

51k7omY.jpg

DEN1FDP.jpg

5jbuCEb.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just goofing around on the Camaro builder on Chevy's site.

And a well-equipped 2SS comes out to just about $48,000. You can get above $50 grand easily with the brake upgrade, and even further with a convertible and niceties like stripes and car mats, etc.

A little while back, I found the invoice for the 1995 Z28 my dad ordered as soon as it came out back in the day. $18,xxx and pretty much had every single option available at the time.

Now, $18,000 in 1995 dollars is equal to about $29,000 in today's dollars, depending on what website you use.

Now I get it - the new one is more powerful, has more features, has more tech, is a million times safer. It's superior in every way, and is a legitimately good track car.

But man, I just feel like fifty grand is damn expensive for a Camaro.

I suppose if you're okay with cloth seats, no GPS, and plain jane speakers, the regular suspension, you can get it into the mid/high 30s. But, I dunno... just thinking outloud.

And a well-equipped 2SS comes out to just about $48,000. You can get above $50 grand easily with the brake upgrade, and even further with a convertible and niceties like stripes and car mats, etc.

A little while back, I found the invoice for the 1995 Z28 my dad ordered as soon as it came out back in the day. $18,xxx and pretty much had every single option available at the time.

Now, $18,000 in 1995 dollars is equal to about $29,000 in today's dollars, depending on what website you use.

Now I get it - the new one is more powerful, has more features, has more tech, is a million times safer. It's superior in every way, and is a legitimately good track car.

I suppose if you're okay with cloth seats, no GPS, and plain jane speakers, the regular suspension, you can get it into the mid/high 30s. But, I dunno... just thinking outloud.

A well equipped fucking VW Golf GTI can run you even more than that here in The Netherlands. In euros mind you. So don't feel too bad, it could be much, much worse :p.

I swear some idiot almost t boned me cause he was behind me and I signaled well in advance to notify him that I was going to turn right to park and this idiot thought he had the god given right to pass me on the side I was parking on as I was turning to park instead of just stopping and letting me park. This is in a parking lot, where people park mind you.

Good luck to you! I know it will be great to get your MX-5 back on the road again. I start having serious withdrawals if I don't drive mine for a couple of days.

And good luck to you as well. Sounds like you have a handful going on right now so I hope you get it sorted.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong lol.

For God knows why, Mazda decided to put the pivot bolt in from the back of the engine rather than the front, so removing it is a real PITA. Took me quite a while to try and get it out, I even removed the intake manifold support arm to no avail. Finally I jacked up the car and removed the wheel and splash guard from underneath to try and get an angle (which came with it's own set of problems). Once I was finally able to get the old alternator off I thought I was in the clear, but can't have things be that easy can we? Turns out my new alternator wasn't threaded in the correct place, which I found out after sitting on the floor on my back wondering why the pivot bolt wasn't catching the thread. Well turns out there was no thread. By this time OReilys was closed, delaying me :(

Damned aftermarket parts.

Is a Mazda CX-3 a good purchase or is there a better alternative?

Yes and not really in that segment.

Also, can you fit a child seat in the back?

Barely.

I'd put my money into a 2017 Impreza. Larger dealer network, every model has AWD, Subaru's safety is second to none, and you'll easily be able to fit car seats in the back. Probably won't handle as well as a CX-3 though.

I feel you on the coilovers bit. I'm pretty sure the rear on my Chaser are blown, as there's WAYYYYY too much travel while driving. I don't see any oil, but it's done for sure.

Now I've been researching brands and spring rates since this is a heavier chassis then my old S15.

matmanx1

Hey sorry, still haven't gotten the professional pics or video yet, but here's some crappy ones I snapped with my cell.

The actual day was amazing. It was supposed to rain, but didn't. We had perfect 73F and dry conditions. It was just me and 5 friends on track so it was a stress free experience. 3 GT4s, an M3, and an Alpina B6. We were originally supposed to have more, but they couldn't make it. One friend with a Carmine GT4 was in Napa Valley. M4 and 991S guys were both busy with work. 458 guy chickened out because of the forecast.

We got to take out some fast go karts on a different track they had. One of my friends clipped a corner and flung mud all over my kart because I was right on his tail. Wish I had some red shells or banana peels to throw. lol

Great food and drinks were provided as well. Big shout out to Autobahn Country Club for hosting. We also got to tour some private garages and condos on site to see some sweet machinery.

As for the actual track driving, we started with some lead follow laps to learn, then had three separate high speed sessions lasting 20 mins each. Got to drive the car a good bit the way it was meant to be driven. It held up fantastically as you'd expect. Tires got super hot, up to 41 PSI, but brakes didn't have a hint of fade. There was an insane amount of grip in the turns and it was very easy to drive fast. I did a few laps with all assists turned off and couldn't notice much of a difference. They are not intrusive at all. Besides, the car has so much grip with those Michelin Cup 2s, that you can't really brake loose unless you purposely provoke the car. I was carrying some insane speed through the curves. Glad I had the 918 bucket seats. They hold you in so well that you don't have to brace at all and can just focus on steering. It was an intense experience that really tires you out. I have more appreciation for professional racers. They must be in incredible shape to do what they do.

BTW, the leading instructor was in a BMW M2 on slicks. God damn, that thing is fast. It was about even with the GT4s on the straightaways I'd say, and kept up in the curves too because of the race rubber and far superior driver. Amazing car for the money.

Z6q8c7y.jpg

2UReb8V.jpg

JXwva7M.jpg

ZYztNLL.jpg

qGC8Sss.jpg

QVDTZ9u.jpg

51k7omY.jpg

DEN1FDP.jpg

5jbuCEb.jpg

Wow, sounds like an amazing time! Thanks for the pics. They aren't crappy at all. I see a lot of drool worthy machinery including a couple of nicely tricked out MX-5s!

I feel you on the coilovers bit. I'm pretty sure the rear on my Chaser are blown, as there's WAYYYYY too much travel while driving. I don't see any oil, but it's done for sure.

Now I've been researching brands and spring rates since this is a heavier chassis then my old S15.

If I'm honest, I probably should have had them rebuilt a couple months ago when my maxima actually worked, but I wasn't really planning on only having one working car.

I figure the chaser is still a popular enough car that there's enough companies that make coilovers for it at least. My coilovers are k-sports, which people like to shit on for being bad quality, but mine do have 60k miles on them. And my maxima's ksports have 8k miles on them so far without problems, so I'd definitely buy them again.

If you have to use a set from a different car, I don't think you'll have a problem. My maxima is using s13 coilovers on the front, and it rides just fine.

Malvolio

Had an awesome time at my first autocross. PCA of Chicago members were all super nice and offered nothing but encouragement and advice to this newbie. Loved getting to work the track and see them attack the course almost more than my time driving.

I was pretty confident that the GT4's were going to run away with it, but a beefy Vette actually pulled off an insane final run to take the top time. I managed to surprise myself and probably a few others by placing 4th in the X class. My GTI was bested by the Vette, an M3 and a G37 but managed to outperform the Audis, Fords and Subarus. Didn't snap many photos as I was trying to absorb as much as I could while I was there, but the wife captured a video of my best run.

Really enjoyed myself and can't wait to go back. Don't think I'd ever get too serious about autocross, but a more casual setting like this is really a blast. Especially in my daily driver. It was fun to see just how hard I could push it.

boltz

Focus ST all day. FWD be damned that car is an absolute hoot. It seems so innocent but then you start hooning it on the streets and it's like a Civic Si or Type R of old with all the benefits: WAY BETTER MPG than the WRX (at least 5-8 mpg better, you can EASILY average 30+ combined), you don't look like every tryhard douchebag in a WRX, the Focus ST too has great resale value; the ST handles very very good as well, especially if you're like me and drive it like it's RWD and attempt to induce oversteer.

And if you spend the extra for a WRX, you might as well wait and put that towards a Focus RS, which makes the 'Rex seem laughable.

Disclaimer: I really don't like Subaru and that's part pf the reason I find the 86 twins to be so bad. Take the two lamest Japanese car companies and combine their bland styling and horrible design flaws (Subaru motors are JUNK) and you get a Frankenstein RWD Scion TC with a stillborn NA WRX motor. Yuck. I was not nearly impressed as I was with say, the Focus ST.

Focus ST. Every time I have test driven one I have gotten out with a big smile on my face. They are very fun to drive and fairly practical at the same time.

Thanks for the input guys. Originally I was focused on hatchbacks, but since I broadened my scope to sedans with the WRX, I decided to look at my buddy's clean Evo X GSR again.

He let me borrow it over the weekend and at first it made me feel like a girly man because the steering and the clutch were heavier I'm used to (that's what you get for driving econoboxes all your life). But as I got used to it and figured out that the turbo liked to kick in around 3k rpm, I had a blast driving it. The thing felt like driving on rails when going through corners at high speed. I know that it gets beat on for have a stiff and noisy ride, but those things I was fine with those things. Personally, the biggest downside was the mileage/range, as it looks like I would average about 16 mpg with my daily drive, which would mean about a 200 mile range per tank. Ouch!

So there's a 90% chance that that will be my next ride. My first mod will be to remove the wing though because that thing is an attention magnet (i.e. I 'd rather be under the radar of law enforcement and boy racers).

TylerD

Finally got around to installing my Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts over the weekend. Even with my electric impact, wrangling the spring compressors I rented was a pain in the ass. Wish I would have just paid someone to swap the springs from the old struts to the new but I got it done. The rear shocks were easy peasy.

I included with the job an upgrade to Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts (no tearing apart the rear to get to the rear shock mount nuts!) and replaced the front strut mounts, all spring pads, bump stops and boots and installed strut mount reinforcement plates. Just using the softest settings for now and the difference between the Koni's and my blown stock shocks and struts is not surprisingly amazing. The rears were completely done and the fronts were well on their way and took little effort to compress. The handling over bumps is super composed and weight transfer during acceleration and braking is much reduced and the car feels so much more GROUNDED TO THE GROUND. Shout out to the lady in the Camry commercial lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRiCsZfx4k

A+++++ upgrade.

No Love

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. Originally I was focused on hatchbacks, but since I broadened my scope to sedans with the WRX, I decided to look at my buddy's clean Evo X GSR again.

He let me borrow it over the weekend and at first it made me feel like a girly man because the steering and the clutch were heavier I'm used to (that's what you get for driving econoboxes all your life). But as I got used to it and figured out that the turbo liked to kick in around 3k rpm, I had a blast driving it. The thing felt like driving on rails when going through corners at high speed. I know that it gets beat on for have a stiff and noisy ride, but those things I was fine with those things. Personally, the biggest downside was the mileage/range, as it looks like I would average about 16 mpg with my daily drive, which would mean about a 200 mile range per tank. Ouch!

So there's a 90% chance that that will be my next ride. My first mod will be to remove the wing though because that thing is an attention magnet (i.e. I 'd rather be under the radar of law enforcement and boy racers).
Do it, they are fantastic cars. And FYI with a tune the MPG goes uo 5-8 MPG average, not even kidding. Stock tune is junky and pig rich.

Finally got around to installing my Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts over the weekend. Even with my electric impact, wrangling the spring compressors I rented was a pain in the ass. Wish I would have just paid someone to swap the springs from the old struts to the new but I got it done. The rear shocks were easy peasy.

I included with the job an upgrade to Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts (no tearing apart the rear to get to the rear shock mount nuts!) and replaced the front strut mounts, all spring pads, bump stops and boots and installed strut mount reinforcement plates. Just using the softest settings for now and the difference between the Koni's and my blown stock shocks and struts is not surprisingly amazing. The rears were completely done and the fronts were well on their way and took little effort to compress. The handling over bumps is super composed and weight transfer during acceleration and braking is much reduced and the car feels so much more GROUNDED TO THE GROUND. Shout out to the lady in the Camry commercial lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRiCsZfx4k

A+++++ upgrade.

AWESOME upgrade! Koni Yellows are great shocks. Don't leave them on the softest setting though, it's not good for dampers. They will ride better if you stiffen them up a bit. Take them to around 40%.

boltz

Yup, just like you can get an Escape or CRV to near $40k or a Mazda 3 to $30k. But the beauty of it is that you can forgo the options and get the base models for far less. Before manufacturers never had the range of options available that you can get nowadays.

But no matter how you cut it, cars are a great value nowadays compared to those past car. I still clearly remember going with my dad to buy a 1996 Avalon for $24k. The options it came with were leather and alloy wheels. Otherwise, it had a 192 hp V6, no sunroof, no cd player and not even ABS brakes. Per the BLS website, that $24k is equivalent to nearly $39k today, which would buy you a very nicely equipped car compared to that Avalon that is faster, safer, and more efficient/clean running.

As for the Camaro SS, even loaded up, it's still a damn good value for the performance you are getting out of it. I prefer the exterior looks of the Mustang, but it's hard to argue against a 4.0 s 0-60 time.

Is a Mazda CX-3 a good purchase or is there a better alternative?

Also, can you fit a child seat in the back?

In the subcompact SUV class, I like the CX-3 the best, but I wouldn't consider it with a child. If you are sticking with the SUV class, as rokkerkory mentioned I would move up to a CX-5 or one of the other entries in that class, such as the Forester or Escape (I like those two because you have the option of more powerful engines with them).

Do it, they are fantastic cars. And FYI with a tune the MPG goes uo 5-8 MPG average, not even kidding. Stock tune is junky and pig rich.

I was planning on keeping it stock (maybe just a CAI because the stock car sounds like an angry blender), but those MPG gains sound too good to pass up, so I'll look into a tune. Do you have any recommendations for a tune that leans more on the mileage and reliability side?

Xdye7

I was planning on keeping it stock (maybe just a CAI because the stock car sounds like an angry blender), but those MPG gains sound too good to pass up, so I'll look into a tune. Do you have any recommendations for a tune that leans more on the mileage and reliability side?

For sound, you're better off with an exhaust. Don't bother with any sort of intake for the stock turbo other than a dry (non-oiled) drop-in filter. As for a tune, the mpg increase stated earlier is very generous and shouldn't be the sole reason to get one, however you should see a small improvement. It really depends on how the car is driven; you should be able to get 20mpg combined relatively easily from a stock car. If you wish to get tuned, find a reputable dyno tuner or if for whatever reason that's not ideal, get an e-tune. Most reputable shops will offer this service as well as a few select individual tuners. Stay away from any off the shelf/premade tunes. Feel free to post up any more questions you may have

I'm paying around $62,000 CDN and it's worth every penny. Got everything but the sunroof and brake upgrade.

No Love

Banned
What is a good price and where should one look if they want to buy an S2000 in Cali?

PM me and I'll help you. You need to give me a budget. There is no "good price" as they are trending upwards. It's more like "what year and colors am I OK with?" For example, Grand Prix White and Laguna Blue cars command a $3k+ price premium.

No Love

Banned
Yup, just like you can get an Escape or CRV to near $40k or a Mazda 3 to $30k. But the beauty of it is that you can forgo the options and get the base models for far less. Before manufacturers never had the range of options available that you can get nowadays.

But no matter how you cut it, cars are a great value nowadays compared to those past car. I still clearly remember going with my dad to buy a 1996 Avalon for $24k. The options it came with were leather and alloy wheels. Otherwise, it had a 192 hp V6, no sunroof, no cd player and not even ABS brakes. Per the BLS website, that $24k is equivalent to nearly $39k today, which would buy you a very nicely equipped car compared to that Avalon that is faster, safer, and more efficient/clean running.

As for the Camaro SS, even loaded up, it's still a damn good value for the performance you are getting out of it. I prefer the exterior looks of the Mustang, but it's hard to argue against a 4.0 s 0-60 time.

In the subcompact SUV class, I like the CX-3 the best, but I wouldn't consider it with a child. If you are sticking with the SUV class, as rokkerkory mentioned I would move up to a CX-5 or one of the other entries in that class, such as the Forester or Escape (I like those two because you have the option of more powerful engines with them).

I think the best Evo tuner is TSCompusa, Tom does a lot of awesome cars but I don't know if he does X's. If he won't, hit up Rick @ Rallinspired, both do remote tuning which is super easy. Put a 3" exhaust and test pipe on it, CAI, Upper Intercooler Pipe, and a 3 port boost controller. All of those are cheap, essential mods. Do fuel pump and injectors if you have E85 around you as E85 is good for 50-60 whp by itself even with limited mods.

If I'm honest, I probably should have had them rebuilt a couple months ago when my maxima actually worked, but I wasn't really planning on only having one working car.

I figure the chaser is still a popular enough car that there's enough companies that make coilovers for it at least. My coilovers are k-sports, which people like to shit on for being bad quality, but mine do have 60k miles on them. And my maxima's ksports have 8k miles on them so far without problems, so I'd definitely buy them again.

If you have to use a set from a different car, I don't think you'll have a problem. My maxima is using s13 coilovers on the front, and it rides just fine.

Oh yeah, there's plenty of companies that I can choose from. I just need to figure out which spring rates I should go with since it's a mix of street and track.

Hopefully you can get something for your car on the come up.

Xdye7

I think the best Evo tuner is TSCompusa, Tom does a lot of awesome cars but I don't know if he does X's. If he won't, hit up Rick @ Rallinspired, both do remote tuning which is super easy. Put a 3" exhaust and test pipe on it, CAI, Upper Intercooler Pipe, and a 3 port boost controller. All of those are cheap, essential mods. Do fuel pump and injectors if you have E85 around you as E85 is good for 50-60 whp by itself even with limited mods.

Decent advice here. TSComp doesn't do the evo x, heard good things about Rick at Rallinspired/RRE, in addition to Jon at 5150 racing and TJ at WTFtuned so check them out as well before making a decision. Know what you're getting into when running a test pipe, a HFC being the alternative of course. A "cold air intake" really isn't it worth it as the stock airbox with a drop-in is matched perfectly to the stock turbo (while also being a true cold air intake), unless you value an increase in induction noise.

E85 is a whole other story so won't get into that unless you really feel it's something you want. Just know it will significantly increase fuel consumption and is essentially for getting the most performance out of your car. However with flex fuel now being available for the X instead of your standard dual map setup it's something to consider if you have access to e85 and a reputable shop with dyno tuning.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

do it! one of us! the evo is amazing

op_ivy

Put a 3" exhaust and test pipe on it, CAI, Upper Intercooler Pipe, and a 3 port boost controller.

i did this but with a high flow cat and a drop in k&n filter and dyno'd at 330 to the wheels. also 23 or so mpg. this is good advice.

No Love

Banned
Decent advice here. TSComp doesn't do the evo x, heard good things about Rick at Rallinspired/RRE, in addition to Jon at 5150 racing and TJ at WTFtuned so check them out as well before making a decision. Know what you're getting into when running a test pipe, a HFC being the alternative of course. A "cold air intake" really isn't it worth it as the stock airbox with a drop-in is matched perfectly to the stock turbo (while also being a true cold air intake), unless you value an increase in induction noise.

E85 is a whole other story so won't get into that unless you really feel it's something you want. Just know it will significantly increase fuel consumption and is essentially for getting the most performance out of your car. However with flex fuel now being available for the X instead of your standard dual map setup it's something to consider if you have access to e85 and a reputable shop with dyno tuning.

Jon at 5150 blows motors and no idea who TJ is so can't recommend, I'd never recommend a no name. Another really good tuner is English Racing.

I'm kind of on the fence about HFC's. I hate emissions however most HFC's use cheap ceramic that will inevitably blow out so it'll become a test pipe, plus a 100-200 cell cat is dogshit for emissions anyways unless it's CARB legal.

op_ivy

Jon at 5150 blows motors and no idea who TJ is so can't recommend, I'd never recommend a no name. Another really good tuner is English Racing.

I'm kind of on the fence about HFC's. I hate emissions however most HFC's use cheap ceramic that will inevitably blow out so it'll become a test pipe, plus a 100-200 cell cat is dogshit for emissions anyways unless it's CARB legal.

i went with an ets hfc mainly because i didnt want the smell... but its damn stinky with a window down anyways, so yeah, perhaps a test pipe is the way to go.

Darkangel

So my father is looking to buy a new car and wants something that's both sporty and practical.

From the research I've done, it seems like the base 2016 Subaru WRX is the best value here in Canada. For reference:

Starting Prices ($CAD)
  • 2016 Subaru WRX = $29,995
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (3-Door) = $28,595
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (5-Door) = $33,995
  • Volkswagen Golf R = $39,995
  • Ford Focus ST= $30,749
  • Ford Focus RS = $47,969

The MK7 GTI is a great car, but you need to pay a lot more for the 5-Door model, and it's FWD. People online say that the GTI needs the "Performance Pack" option (LSD) to really be competitive with the other offerings. A 5-Door GTI with the Performance Pack is almost the same price as the Golf R, so you might as well just go all the way. Ford doesn't do regional pricing for Canada, so the Focus RS is ridiculously expensive compared to the competition. A WRX STI is around $38,000, but for that price range the Golf R seems like a much better buy. Focus STs seem almost non-existent in Nova Scotia, so I haven't been able to test one out. Based on the list above, the WRX is the cheapest 4-Door vehicle, has AWD, and is faster than both the ST and GTI.

tl;dr 2016 WRX yay or nay?

Xdye7

Care to share details about 5150? PM if you wish. TJ Van Cott I believe is somewhat new to the scene but very meticulous and puts out some good tunes from what I've seen. Wasn't sure if English does etunes so didn't mention but yes great shop.

Plenty of good metallic core HFCs out there, with a 300 cell it's possible to pass emissions depending on the mods and tune so they're definitely doing something. Stock tune sets the emissions criteria pretty low though lol. There's no debating a test pipe is better in terms of performance and reliability but I'm just not a fan of breathing in raw exhaust fumes especially when idling (warm up/cool down) or in traffic.

i went with an ets hfc mainly because i didnt want the smell... but its damn stinky with a window down anyways, so yeah, perhaps a test pipe is the way to go.

Really, even with a 300 cell? When does it smell usually? Remember it's still converting odorless fumes so if you have kids or pets or care about your own health it's still better than a test pipe in that regard.

boltz

i did this but with a high flow cat and a drop in k&n filter and dyno'd at 330 to the wheels. also 23 or so mpg. this is good advice.

Dammit, you guys really want me to go down the modding rabbit hole don't you :p My plan was to just put on a K&N CAI (want the induction, turbo spooling, and BOV noises as well as the ~21hp gain @ 6100 rpm per K&N's dyno testing) and call it a day. Personally I like the idea of keeping the car as stock as possible, but I might investigate some of the other bolt ons and a tune, especially since I found that RRE is within a 40 min drive of me and the yelp reviews for them and Evos are pretty good.

BTW, how big is the stock exhaust piping?

do it! one of us! the evo is amazing

Yeah, only holdup is that my buddy has to find his replacement for the Evo before he can sell it. The top contenders are the Z51 C7 Corvette and M235i. Apparently M235i's in stick are extremely popular and no dealers have them in stock or no one wants them and dealers don't order them.

So my father is looking to buy a new car and wants something that's both sporty and practical.

From the research I've done, it seems like the base 2016 Subaru WRX is the best value here in Canada. For reference:

Starting Prices ($CAD)
  • 2016 Subaru WRX = $29,995
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (3-Door) = $28,595
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (5-Door) = $33,995
  • Volkswagen Golf R = $39,995
  • Ford Focus ST= $30,749
  • Ford Focus RS = $47,969

The MK7 GTI is a great car, but you need to pay a lot more for the 5-Door model, and it's FWD. People online say that the GTI needs the "Performance Pack" option (LSD) to really be competitive with the other offerings. A 5-Door GTI with the Performance Pack is almost the same price as the Golf R, so you might as well just go all the way. Ford doesn't do regional pricing for Canada, so the Focus RS is ridiculously expensive compared to the competition. A WRX STI is around $38,000, but for that price range the Golf R seems like a much better buy. Focus STs seem almost non-existent in Nova Scotia, so I haven't been able to test one out. Based on the list above, the WRX is the cheapest 4-Door vehicle, has AWD, and is faster than both the ST and GTI.

tl;dr 2016 WRX yay or nay?

Although I grew up fine driving FWD cars in the snow, I wouldn't hesitate to go with AWD if I lived in a snowy climate. From a practicality point of view (I've test driven all of the vehicles you've listed except for the R and RS), the GTI has the most versatile interior with the hatch floor able to be dropped lower and the pass through in the backseat. The Foci have the least legroom in the backseat and the ST has a full size spare that takes up a good chunk of hatch volume. The WRX has a pretty roomy backseat but obviously has no hatch and its infotainment system has no CarPlay or Android Auto support unlike the VW and Ford vehicles. Also, the ST has a larger turning radius that makes it annoying to maneuver in tighter areas like parking lots; I was hoping to get back to a normal turning radius with the Evo X, but I discovered that it has nearly the same turning radius :(

Xdye7

Dammit, you guys really want me to go down the modding rabbit hole don't you :p My plan was to just put on a K&N CAI (want the induction, turbo spooling, and BOV noises as well as the ~21hp gain @ 6100 rpm per K&N's dyno testing) and call it a day. Personally I like the idea of keeping the car as stock as possible, but I might investigate some of the other bolt ons and a tune, especially since I found that RRE is within a 40 min drive of me and the yelp reviews for them and Evos are pretty good.

BTW, how big is the stock exhaust piping?

Nice, you're in SoCal. RRE will take care of you.

Stock exhaust is 2.5" with a really restrictive muffler.

BTW, every intake/drop in for the stock turbo will give you roughly the same power gains, especially when tuned. I would advise against an oiled filter especially k&n as they are not the best in terms of filtration. If you can find one, the cosworth intake is the same as the k&n just with a dry filter :)

op_ivy

Really, even with a 300 cell? When does it smell usually? Remember it's still converting odorless fumes so if you have kids or pets or care about your own health it's still better than a test pipe in that regard.

its 200 and i only get a smell if i'm on it with the windows down.

Top Bottom