• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Malvolio

So my father is looking to buy a new car and wants something that's both sporty and practical.

From the research I've done, it seems like the base 2016 Subaru WRX is the best value here in Canada. For reference:

Starting Prices ($CAD)
  • 2016 Subaru WRX = $29,995
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (3-Door) = $28,595
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI (5-Door) = $33,995
  • Volkswagen Golf R = $39,995
  • Ford Focus ST= $30,749
  • Ford Focus RS = $47,969

The MK7 GTI is a great car, but you need to pay a lot more for the 5-Door model, and it's FWD. People online say that the GTI needs the "Performance Pack" option (LSD) to really be competitive with the other offerings. A 5-Door GTI with the Performance Pack is almost the same price as the Golf R, so you might as well just go all the way. Ford doesn't do regional pricing for Canada, so the Focus RS is ridiculously expensive compared to the competition. A WRX STI is around $38,000, but for that price range the Golf R seems like a much better buy. Focus STs seem almost non-existent in Nova Scotia, so I haven't been able to test one out. Based on the list above, the WRX is the cheapest 4-Door vehicle, has AWD, and is faster than both the ST and GTI.

tl;dr 2016 WRX yay or nay?

The only real time you would need the Performance Pack on the GTI to be competitive is on the track. In my non-PP GTI I regularly run around with my friend in his stage 2 FoST and aside from his slight horse power advantage I'm just as capable as him. In fact, he was at the autocross I went to last week and was one of the three FoST that I was able to best.

As usual with VW, the GTI is capable of a lot more hp and torque than the factory admits. From what I've been reading, for under $1K I can do a stage one tune and eliminate most of that advantage. That being said, AWD is a powerful selling point and in your location it would be hard to pass up. I was just not a fan of the WRX's fit and finish compared to the GTI, which to me is in a class above everything you've listed.

matmanx1

Had an awesome time at my first autocross. PCA of Chicago members were all super nice and offered nothing but encouragement and advice to this newbie. Loved getting to work the track and see them attack the course almost more than my time driving.

I was pretty confident that the GT4's were going to run away with it, but a beefy Vette actually pulled off an insane final run to take the top time. I managed to surprise myself and probably a few others by placing 4th in the X class. My GTI was bested by the Vette, an M3 and a G37 but managed to outperform the Audis, Fords and Subarus. Didn't snap many photos as I was trying to absorb as much as I could while I was there, but the wife captured a video of my best run.

Really enjoyed myself and can't wait to go back. Don't think I'd ever get too serious about autocross, but a more casual setting like this is really a blast. Especially in my daily driver. It was fun to see just how hard I could push it.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time.

Evo X

Fiat 124 press embargo is up Friday, but previews are starting to trickle out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GA74-dSpzU

That video was mostly useless. Will wait for actual reviews.

I am interested in how this car is recieved. I really like the ND Miata, and had my first go in a Fiat 500 Abarth a few days ago and thought it was a fun little car that sounded nice. Should be a good package to bring the two together, especially with the tuning capabilities.

Not sold on the looks though. Think the ND looks better. Maybe it looks better in person, but for now the headlights look very bulbous and I'm not a fan of that plastidip flat black hood on the Abarth.

SummitAve

Banned
The look has grown on me, some colors more than others. Might be a fun used pick up when the prices go low low low....unless they don't sell at all.

I personally think the regular 124 Spider looks like crap meanwhile the Abarth version is super cool due to the boy racer elements they've added.

Comparing them against the ND though, yeah the ND definitely looks a lot better than both of the Fiata's... especially the ND RF... that thing is seriously sexy with the flying buttresses and all.

As for the entire car as a package, I think the turbo in the Abarth edges it out against the ND for me but mainly because of the tuning possibilities.

That said, I still like my NC more than the ND or Fiata, but mainly because it's sitting inside my garage whereas the ND or Fiata are a showroom away lol.

boltz

Nice, you're in SoCal. RRE will take care of you.

Stock exhaust is 2.5" with a really restrictive muffler.

BTW, every intake/drop in for the stock turbo will give you roughly the same power gains, especially when tuned. I would advise against an oiled filter especially k&n as they are not the best in terms of filtration. If you can find one, the cosworth intake is the same as the k&n just with a dry filter :)

Yeah, I forgot that it was oiled and the Cosworth seems to be MIA. I also like the AEM CAI but there seems to be conflicting info on whether it's safe to run without a tune (would like to get the CAI first, then tune down the road), especially since it doesn't use the stock MAF housing. Thoughts on that?

As far as the Miata and Fiata are concerned, the Abarth's not too bad looking. It's like the eager puppy to the ND's angry snake.

http://www.carninja.com/story/carninja-1/17-vehicles-wrongfully-seized-in-ca-489

Have you guys seen this? According to the article, Orange County police have impounded 17 vehicles for 117 days so far (for revenge, according to the article). They are also being used on the streets by the towing company and the police.

On another matter, it looks like USA will finally get some legal R34 GTRs.

In the Show and Display rule, there is a listing for "Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model Limited Edition" is on the NHTSA show or display eligibility list. (source). But noone ever knew what that was.

So anyway it turns out it means R34 GTR V-Spec in Midnight Purple II only. There was only 282 known V-Spec in Midnight Purple (source)

So Sean Morris (who previously imported the first two R32 GTR Nismo under Show and Display) has managed to get 1 and has it for sale:
http://www.importavehicle.com/1633_...(USA)/1999-Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-Vspec-for-sale
Price: $149,995 for California, or $129,995 elsewhere.

1633_V20160604234529.jpg

It also appears that Rivsu (who also managed to legally import a R33 GTR LM (source) have 2 incoming (source).

Not a fan of the R34. I really dislike the look.

The R35 is superior in all aspect.

The only appeal is that its rare in the US. If its common, I bet you the hype won't be as big.

Xdye7

Yeah, I forgot that it was oiled and the Cosworth seems to be MIA. I also like the AEM CAI but there seems to be conflicting info on whether it's safe to run without a tune (would like to get the CAI first, then tune down the road), especially since it doesn't use the stock MAF housing. Thoughts on that?

Regarding intakes, only thing 100% safe without a tune is a drop in. Even if the MAF housing is reused or the diameter is unchanged on an aftermarket intake, it's still possible for fuel trims to get messed up. If you want something other than a drop in, just wait until you get tuned. Also, avoid the AEM intake. Only good part about it is the nice inlet pipe. The restriction is in the oem "snorkel", rendering the slight increase in pipe diameter useless, and if you take the lid off to improve airflow you might as well have gotten some other intake. You can get a smooth inlet pipe for the stock airbox without needing a tune, but again at that point you may as well be getting a full intake. Basically it comes down to what you value and personal preference but bottom line is get a tune for anything other than a drop in filter.

http://www.carninja.com/story/carninja-1/17-vehicles-wrongfully-seized-in-ca-489

Have you guys seen this? According to the article, Orange County police have impounded 17 vehicles for 117 days so far (for revenge, according to the article). They are also being used on the streets by the towing company and the police.

What the fuck? This can't be real

matmanx1

New Porsche ad takes inspiration from 300. Sadly no one gets kicked down a well. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FaAUrBwVo

Great commercial except for the fact that they are introducing the new Panamera without actually showing it in the commercial. I've seen the spy photos but I want to see the finished product! Not your fault though. I enjoyed the actual commercial.

Fiat 124 press embargo is up Friday, but previews are starting to trickle out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GA74-dSpzU

I can safely say that I prefer the ND MX-5 looks over the 124 but if it actually came down to me going to purchase one then I would have to give both some serious seat time and a lot of thought. Owning an NC MX-5, I would probably give the nod to the ND, just because I love, love, love the light weight aspects of that car and the ND is even lighter. The 124 and especially the Abarth will feel punchier due to the turbo and the torque but at the expense of size and weight gain.

I will say that the 124 has the potential to be the most reliable Fiat ever. It's got the transmission from the NC Miata, the body and interior of the ND and the turbo motor from the 500 Abarth, which after some early hiccups seems to have become very solid. If you were so inclined, you could probably pick up a 124 and own it for a long time with minimal grief and fairly low cost of ownership.

That video was mostly useless. Will wait for actual reviews.

I am interested in how this car is recieved. I really like the ND Miata, and had my first go in a Fiat 500 Abarth a few days ago and thought it was a fun little car that sounded nice. Should be a good package to bring the two together, especially with the tuning capabilities.

Not sold on the looks though. Think the ND looks better. Maybe it looks better in person, but for now the headlights look very bulbous and I'm not a fan of that plastidip flat black hood on the Abarth.

Yeah, the ND MX-5 is much sexier. The 124 isn't bad and actually has a fairly classic look that draws inspiration from the original but I prefer the MX-5.

What I am really interested in is the suspension tuning. Everyone who drives the ND MX-5 says that the suspension is too soft and there's too much body roll in the stock vehicle, even with the Club Sport version. If the Abarth 124 is faster AND handles better out of the box then it may be the superior sports car from a hard numbers perspective.

Regarding intakes, only thing 100% safe without a tune is a drop in. Even if the MAF housing is reused or the diameter is unchanged on an aftermarket intake, it's still possible for fuel trims to get messed up. If you want something other than a drop in, just wait until you get tuned. Also, avoid the AEM intake. Only good part about it is the nice inlet pipe. The restriction is in the oem "snorkel", rendering the slight increase in pipe diameter useless, and if you take the lid off to improve airflow you might as well have gotten some other intake. You can get a smooth inlet pipe for the stock airbox without needing a tune, but again at that point you may as well be getting a full intake. Basically it comes down to what you value and personal preference but bottom line is get a tune for anything other than a drop in filter.

With regards to police misconduct in the States, nothing surprises me anymore.

Not a fan of the R34. I really dislike the look.

The R35 is superior in all aspect.

The only appeal is that its rare in the US. If its common, I bet you the hype won't be as

Ok, now I have heard everything :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This is why California is a shitty state. Can't have any fun with cars.

And R34 >>>>>> All Skylines, including GTR.

On another matter, it looks like USA will finally get some legal R34 GTRs.

In the Show and Display rule, there is a listing for "Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model Limited Edition" is on the NHTSA show or display eligibility list. (source). But noone ever knew what that was.

So anyway it turns out it means R34 GTR V-Spec in Midnight Purple II only. There was only 282 known V-Spec in Midnight Purple (source)

So Sean Morris (who previously imported the first two R32 GTR Nismo under Show and Display) has managed to get 1 and has it for sale:
http://www.importavehicle.com/1633_...(USA)/1999-Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-Vspec-for-sale
Price: $149,995 for California, or $129,995 elsewhere.

It also appears that Rivsu (who also managed to legally import a R33 GTR LM (source) have 2 incoming (source).

R34's are cool and all, but thats not worth it at all. I'd rather save $100k+ and buy an R32 GTR, which I could actually legally drive on the street as much I want.

It's also way better looking. The R34 has a certain dignified menace to its look, especially the front fascia, whereas the R35 has a dumpy, downsy, sci-fi theme going on. From day one I haven't liked the look of it, including in person and on the road.

Three pedals?

thats the obvious part...

performance wise, the R35 is a super car killer.

the R34 was trying to keep up with evos/sti

It's also way better looking. The R34 has a certain dignified menace to its look, especially the front fascia, whereas the R35 has a dumpy, downsy, sci-fi theme going on. From day one I haven't liked the look of it, including in person and on the road.

it kinda looked an honda accord....I like he look of the r32 and r33 better.

well the whole skyline gt-r family ain't a looker to begin with.

boltz

That's a really fucked up story and the cops took all of their video evidence as well. From a legal standpoint, when would a cop have a right to take your cellphone? And is filming police activity ever illegal?

Thanks for all the good info! Right now I'm thinking a CAI, cat back exhaust, and tune are how I'd mod the Evo (don't want to have to worry about changing things out for smog testing). What kind of gains do you think would come from those mods?

matmanx1

Well, it's been an absolutely glorious day for convertible ownership here in North Georgia. One of my bosses at work has been really curious about the MX-5 ever since I bought it and we finally got a moment for me to take him for a drive this morning before lunch.

75 degrees, blue sky, breezy. You couldn't have asked for conditions any more perfect to introduce someone to the joys of an MX-5.

He's owned several Corvette's and various American muscle cars and then sometime during the 70's, a Porsche 914, which he adored and talks about to this day. After the drive I asked him if the MX-5 reminded him of the 914 in some ways and he said "nope, yours is better in every single way".

I was genuinely happy to hear him say that. It seems he is quite taken with the little MX-5. Now to put the top down for the drive home in a few minutes. =)

Kelsdesu

Definitely a shitty state for importing cars...
The rules are also so jumbled up its really ridiculous. I just wish somebody would do a simple breakdown of this stuff.

No Love

Banned

Can't have any fun with cars? California is the best state to drive a performance car in, period. Especially if you like corners. Cops can just be dickholes about random stuff and try to get you on emissions.

AlphaSnake

Can't have any fun with cars? California is the best state to drive a performance car in, period. Especially if you like corners. Cops can just be dickholes about random stuff and try to get you on emissions.

The canyons are splendid. But the laws against modding cars are surprisingly enforced and very strict.

No Love

Banned
The canyons are splendid. But the laws against modding cars are surprisingly enforced and very strict.

That's why you don't live in Orange County where the lameass law enforcement has a lot less to do so they have more time to focus on bullshit like that.

Like the other night when Orange County sheriffs pulled me over in a friend's E55 AMG on an empty road... those guys got nothing real to respond to. And got owned by me and had to let me go with no tickets. 😅

Evo X

Never had a single issue with California police officers. Neither has my brother and we both live in Orange County. Probably because we drive stock high end cars now. Pretty sure my loud ass tinted windows test piped Evo from back in the day would have gotten me harassed. lol

Never had a single issue with California police officers. Neither has my brother and we both live in Orange County. Probably because we drive stock high end cars now. Pretty sure my loud ass tinted windows test piped Evo from back in the day would have gotten me harassed. lol

Dare you to make an AMA on OT on that topic....

:)

AlphaSnake

Just wanted to share this exhaust vid we recorded a few days ago. It still pops and burbles and screams. And we're clearly pretty excited about it.

Please don't listen to this on a cell. Turn your speakers up.

https://vid.me/aHIa

^Hot damn!

Listening to that on my studio monitors... fnck me man. You could wake up the entire neighborhood with that shit, therefore it's fncking awesome!

There are times when I want to move to Cali, mainly because I'm a tropical/beach person growing up in the Philippines and all.

But at the same time, the things I've read from car enthusiasts about Cali makes me glad I live in the great state of Texas. We may not have many curvy canyons, but at least I can raise a big middle finger to the EPA and do all kinds of stuff to my car 365 days out of the year lol.

AlphaSnake

^Hot damn!

Listening to that on my studio monitors... fnck me man. You could wake up the entire neighborhood with that shit, therefore it's fncking awesome!

It's such a pleasure to hear it in person. The way the sound naturally enters the cabin too when the Dynamic mode is enabled and those flaps open up...ugh, so hot.

There are times when I want to move to Cali, mainly because I'm a tropical/beach person growing up in the Philippines and all.

But at the same time, the things I've read from car enthusiasts about Cali makes me glad I live in the great state of Texas. We may not have many curvy canyons, but at least I can raise a big middle finger to the EPA and do all kinds of stuff to my car 365 days out of the year lol.

Florida here. 'Merica's other "MERICA!" state. We have so many R33 and R34s nearby me that it's not even funny. They're just camping out here as a safe-haven waiting until their 25th bdays come around. No emissions testing either.

Definitely a shitty state for importing cars...
The rules are also so jumbled up its really ridiculous. I just wish somebody would do a simple breakdown of this stuff.

Meanwhile, in Seattle I've seen both an S15 and an R33 GT-R with WA plates. You can title nearly anything here as long as it has a steering wheel.

matmanx1

EVO takes the 911R to 200mph on the Autobahn.

Nearly 9 thousand RPM in a naturally aspirated 500hp motor with 6 speed manual. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vMJHJriYA

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I don't need to own one of those but I would really love to be able to do what he just did in that video. Just give me a couple of hours during off peak times to do some 300+km/h blasts on the autobahn and I would be smiling for days.

I also found it funny that at 200km /h in 6th gear the 911R sounds rather bored. Like, come on now, is that all you've got for me?? (200km/h is 125 mph, or very close to it)

Just wanted to share this exhaust vid we recorded a few days ago. It still pops and burbles and screams. And we're clearly pretty excited about it.

Please don't listen to this on a cell. Turn your speakers up.

https://vid.me/aHIa

Haha, glorious. The temptation to do that while sitting in traffic or cruising along would be pretty strong. Sounds awesome, Alpha.

People are saying this 3 minute clip of Jeremy Clarkson trying to put a box together is funnier than the entire first two episodes of new top gear. Lol. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/tbbkDiuz9fw

And I agree with them. I laughed out loud a couple of times. The banter between those three is classic and they play off of each other so well at this point.

Top Bottom