• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Smokey

I had no idea a GT3 RS msrp was 175k. Knowing Porsche if you actually wanted to buy one, you're probably looking at a markup. Maybe 230k range?

Geez

mkenyon

Banned
Long time no chat AutoGAF. I'm hoping to get some good car recs.

We're trading in our 2007 Tundra and 2012 EX35 for most likely a Ram 2500 Cummins. We may opt for the 6.4L Hemi, and possibly the 1500 EcoDiesel (but not likely). My wife and I moved to Bend, OR, and the range/gas mileage of our Tundra just doesn't cut it going over the pass. We're averaging 4-5 MPG hauling, with a range of 80-100 miles before needing to fill up.

What I'm hoping to get advice on is the second car. Requirements:

1) Used and under $20k
2) Does okay in snow, AWD of course preferable, but a good set of snow tires would make FWD/RWD fine.
3) Compact preferable, mid-size max.
4) Fun.

I love WRXs, so that's a possibility. I'm hesitant to buy one with mileage that would put it below $20k though, and it's hard to find one unmolested. I prefer hatchbacks/wagons over sedans. I'd probably prefer something with hydraulic steering. I've also considered a Wrangler, but it seems a shame to get one without the Pentastar, which puts it a tad over the $20k mark.

It will serve as the car for scooting around town, not long distance, so it doesn't need to be fancy. The truck will serve as our long distance vehicle.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the back seat needs to be able to fit one of these in it:

pTRU1-16388329enh-z6.jpg

L
1) Used and under $20k
2) Does okay in snow, AWD of course preferable, but a good set of snow tires would make FWD/RWD fine.
4) Fun.

'13 Crosstrek. Enjoy the low insurance rates and complete inability to get a speeding ticket.

This is why California is a shitty state. Can't have any fun with cars.

And R34 >>>>>> All Skylines, including GTR.

I can co-sign this. I've had the chance of driving all of the BNR models and the R35. The BNR34 will forever be my fav!

R34's are cool and all, but thats not worth it at all. I'd rather save $100k+ and buy an R32 GTR, which I could actually legally drive on the street as much I want.

The prices in the US are CRAZY. Though I've been following the costs in Canada, and costs are creeping up to used R35 status. I don't know if I'll be comfortable dropping the $60K+ on a 15+ year old car. I might just purchase another S15 (build that up) and go ham building a 2JZ for my Chaser.

Put the difference away for a rainy day (and vacation).

I can co-sign this. I've had the chance of driving all of the BNR models and the R35. The BNR34 will forever be my fav!

The prices in the US are CRAZY. Though I've been following the costs in Canada, and costs are creeping up to used R35 status. I don't know if I'll be comfortable dropping the $60K+ on a 15+ year old car. I might just purchase another S15 (build that up) and go ham building a 2JZ for my Chaser.

Put the difference away for a rainy day (and vacation).

What made you like the R34 over the R35, beside the looks which is subjective.

GT-Rs is not much a drivers car...they just perform really well cause of the advance tools it has.

mkenyon

Banned
$20k will not get you AWD and fun without some serious miles. WRXs hold their value in the PNW; if you don't want a used one is a lease possible?
I suppose I was looking for all sorts of alternatives I might be overlooking. Focus ST, some Honda gem, Volvo something or other, etc.

I don't mind miles on a car at all, I'd prefer used.

I suppose I was looking for all sorts of alternatives I might be overlooking. Focus ST, some Honda gem, Volvo something or other, etc.

My first choice here would be 'Volvo C30', but I don't think the car seat would work well in the back.

TSX?

wotter

So I picked up my new car last Friday and here are some pics.

I sold this last week: Toyota GT86 which I had for 3 years and 9 months (pic is from two weeks ago):

2WimyRU.jpg

And like a said, I bought a Lexus, and it's a IS200t F-sport (pic is from this weekend):

HX1klXQ.jpg

The options I took on this car are the leather seats (with ventilation!), sat nav and ML surround system.

These two cars, of course, are nothing alike.
As a daily driver, it's a much more relaxing drive, and while this car is faster than the 86, it doesn't feel fast. Reason for that the noise (or lack thereof), there's very little wind or tire noise, but practically no engine noise. Plus it likes to shift up quickly in order to save fuel.
When I was doing 50 in the 86, it felt like I was almost doing 80, now it's vice versa.
So now I went from VW -> Toyota -> Lexus, and I'm liking the Japanese cars so far. I was always (and still am) a big fan of Audi, and so far I haven't bought one ... :/

Btw, my dad just ordered his new car, the Jaguar F-Pace, will post pics of that as well when it arrives.

Evo X

I had no idea a GT3 RS msrp was 175k. Knowing Porsche if you actually wanted to buy one, you're probably looking at a markup. Maybe 230k range?

Geez

$175K base. A decently specced sticker price is ~$210K.

Porsche themselves do not like markups. Premier dealers do not do markups. Everyone I know that ordered a new GT3RS got it at MSRP.

It's the used market flippers that are inflating the prices because the car is so rare and damn good. Your $230K estimate is actually quite low. Most are changing hands around $260K right now and I've seen some PTS cars go for upwards of $330K.

Congrats! It might not be as much fun to drive as the 86, but is a huge step up as a daily driver with luxury and tech features.

Btw, my dad just ordered his new car, the Jaguar F-Pace, will post pics of that as well when it arrives.

You just became Alpha's new favorite person in this thread. lol

boltz

If you search the last few pages for "focus st", you'll find some discussion I started regarding the Focus ST vs WRX. The WRX is faster and has its awesome resale value, but the FoST has a lot more character to me and can be had for much less money.

The GTI is also a strong contender but I'm not a fan of its exterior styling. But I decided to go the Evo X route because my buddy is going to be getting rid of his clean, unmodded one.

I sold this last week: Toyota GT86 which I had for 3 years and 9 months (pic is from two weeks ago):

2WimyRU.jpg

And like a said, I bought a Lexus, and it's a IS200t F-sport (pic is from this weekend):

HX1klXQ.jpg

The options I took on this car are the leather seats (with ventilation!), sat nav and ML surround system.

As a daily driver, it's a much more relaxing drive, and while this car is faster than the 86, it doesn't feel fast. Reason for that the noise (or lack thereof), there's very little wind or tire noise, but practically no engine noise. Plus it likes to shift up quickly in order to save fuel.
When I was doing 50 in the 86, it felt like I was almost doing 80, now it's vice versa.
So now I went from VW -> Toyota -> Lexus, and I'm liking the Japanese cars so far. I was always (and still am) a big fan of Audi, and so far I haven't bought one ... :/

Congrats! I think the IS is a sharp looking car and it's great that Lexus replaced the old underpowered V6. Do you miss driving stick at all? I've been driving an automatic for almost 5 years now and can't wait to get back into a stick.

I don't know how many other people will agree but I just recently purchased a Mazdaspeed 6 and I seriously enjoy it. It drives well, has AWD when needed and is a turbo manual sedan. Plus I love how understated it looks.

No Love

Banned
I don't know how many other people will agree but I just recently purchased a Mazdaspeed 6 and I seriously enjoy it. It drives well, has AWD when needed and is a turbo manual sedan. Plus I love how understated it looks.

I too recommend the Mazdaspeed 6. They are dirt cheap now, and the AWD is fine for non-performance duties. Plus the motor has really good spool for low end torque and daily driving fun.

mkenyon

Banned
If you search the last few pages for "focus st", you'll find some discussion I started regarding the Focus ST vs WRX. The WRX is faster and has its awesome resale value, but the FoST has a lot more character to me and can be had for much less money.

The GTI is also a strong contender but I'm not a fan of its exterior styling. But I decided to go the Evo X route because my buddy is going to be getting rid of his clean, unmodded one.
Yeah, that'd be optimal. I'm so scared of picking up a used one though. If I knew the home it was coming from, i'd be all over it.

I too recommend the Mazdaspeed 6. They are dirt cheap now, and the AWD is fine for non-performance duties. Plus the motor has really good spool for low end torque and daily driving fun.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

No Love, I was really hoping you'd chime in. Always great advice on value gems.

2WimyRU.jpg

HX1klXQ.jpg

Awesome cars. My neighbor has that Lexus as well. Looks slick and great. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as he does. I was just at a Jaguar F Pace unveiling party a couple weeks ago and it looks great. I love the rear lights from the F Type. It's definitely one of my favorite SUV cars out there right now.

Xdye7

Thanks for all the good info! Right now I'm thinking a CAI, cat back exhaust, and tune are how I'd mod the Evo (don't want to have to worry about changing things out for smog testing). What kind of gains do you think would come from those mods?

Depends on the car and specific parts but you should see around +50 hp and tq pretty much guaranteed. A tune is the most beneficial mod, bolt ons provide minor gains by allowing more airflow and for heat to be expelled more efficiently. Also as mentioned before, look into getting a 3-port EBCS if your tuner suggests it as well as an upper intercooler pipe (UICP) for improved engine/throttle response.

What made you like the R34 over the R35, beside the looks which is subjective.

GT-Rs is not much a drivers car...they just perform really well cause of the advance tools it has.

It has a lot of the advance features of the older BNR models, but it was more refined. I loved the "raw" feel it gave me while driving it (versus the R35). I do like the R35... It's a fast car. For day to day reliability, warranty, that 'out of the box' fastness... I the smart money would be to purchase a R35. But for me I felt more "connected" to the BNR34 over the R35.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No one's supposed to know that the Mazdaspeed6 is a great car.

It's utterly unreliable and the engine will blow if you mod it incorrectly or accelerate in the higher gears causing LSPI(Low Speed Pre Ignition).

Anyway, Porsche-GAF, got a question for y'all.

$32K for an 04 911 Carrera 4S... good price or bad?

I'm not getting one anytime soon, but if prices stay around the same range at the end of the year... it's definitely gonna be possible for me, but that's also if I sell the Miata which is already a difficult idea to think about lol.

I know it's totally random, but I'm sitting here waiting for a video to finish exporting so might as well look at Autotrader right?

True, that can be a problem but doesn't a simple change of the fuel pump internals fix that?

Lol yes for the modding part you just gotta start upgrading the fuel pump first before you can go stage 1 or whatever crazy engine mod you'd like to do. The LSPI issue on the other hand is more prominent in the 1st gen MZR DISI turbo engines(MS6 and 1st gen MS3). For that, I don't think there's really a fix, you just can't accelerate hard on 5th and 6th gear.

I was being sarcastic in my post, trying to shoo away potential buyers so I can buy one for myself haha. I honestly haven't seen one in months on Autotrader, Cars, and even Craigslist here in the DFW area which is ridiculous.

Lol yes for the modding part you just gotta start upgrading the fuel pump first before you can go stage 1 or whatever crazy engine mod you'd like to do. The LSPI issue on the other hand is more prominent in the 1st gen MZR DISI turbo engines(MS6 and 1st gen MS3). For that, I don't think there's really a fix, you just can't accelerate hard on 5th and 6th gear.

I was being sarcastic in my post, trying to shoo away potential buyers so I can buy one for myself haha. I honestly haven't seen one in months on Autotrader, Cars, and even Craigslist here in the DFW area which is ridiculous.

Ahh, I sort of figured that but it wasn't sure sure since those are legit issues. I am about to get my VVT/timing/fuel pump stuff done here so I don't have to worry about shit blowing up on me anytime soon.

I had an E36 M3 before I got my MS6 and I'm honestly still surprised by how much I enjoy driving it. It moves quite well when you want it too and is much more nimble than I would have expected a 3500lb car to be.

boltz

Depends on the car and specific parts but you should see around +50 hp and tq pretty much guaranteed. A tune is the most beneficial mod, bolt ons provide minor gains by allowing more airflow and for heat to be expelled more efficiently. Also as mentioned before, look into getting a 3-port EBCS if your tuner suggests it as well as an upper intercooler pipe (UICP) for improved engine/throttle response.

Will do, now it's just a matter of waiting for the car.

And did anyone catch the specs for the new Fusion Sport? 327 hp/380 lb-ft starting at ~$34k sounds pretty damn good, but I'm going to hold judgement until we see how it handles and how the automatic transmission behaves. No matter what though, it's pretty awesome to see this kind of car in the non-luxury space:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-ford-fusion-sport-might-be-the-affordable-amer-1781499831

matmanx1

Long time no chat AutoGAF. I'm hoping to get some good car recs.

We're trading in our 2007 Tundra and 2012 EX35 for most likely a Ram 2500 Cummins. We may opt for the 6.4L Hemi, and possibly the 1500 EcoDiesel (but not likely). My wife and I moved to Bend, OR, and the range/gas mileage of our Tundra just doesn't cut it going over the pass. We're averaging 4-5 MPG hauling, with a range of 80-100 miles before needing to fill up.

What I'm hoping to get advice on is the second car. Requirements:

1) Used and under $20k
4) Fun.

I love WRXs, so that's a possibility. I'm hesitant to buy one with mileage that would put it below $20k though, and it's hard to find one unmolested. I prefer hatchbacks/wagons over sedans. I'd probably prefer something with hydraulic steering. I've also considered a Wrangler, but it seems a shame to get one without the Pentastar, which puts it a tad over the $20k mark.

It will serve as the car for scooting around town, not long distance, so it doesn't need to be fancy. The truck will serve as our long distance vehicle.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the back seat needs to be able to fit one of these in it:

Haha, that baby seat is awesome. Your child rides in absolute style. My recommendation would be Focus ST if you want something newer and more fun or a G37x or IS250 AWD if you'd like more luxury. You would have to step back a few years to get under your 20k budget but both the G37 and the IS250 are extremely reliable so no worries there. I've owned both and the G37 is obviously sportier but I have a soft spot for the Lexus.

2WimyRU.jpg

HX1klXQ.jpg

Congrats on the pickup. I actually dig the looks of the new IS series. Very aggressive. As I was saying to mkenyon, I have a soft spot for Lexus. Their cars are just so solid, quiet and comfortable and the factory sound systems tend to be excellent. They make excellent daily drivers. Even my 12 year old GX470 does great in that regard.

Uh oh I haven't owned a stick for 6 years now dang

I couldn't do it. It's one of the reasons I sold my G37, as excellent as that car was. I missed the stick shift. I finally feel like I am in a good place, car wise. I have the GX470 for days when I just want to chill and ride in quiet comfort and the Miata with the 6 speed stick for days when I want to drive like my hair's on fire. I have 9k in the Lexus and 14.9k in the Miata so less than 25k in both and the Lexus is completely paid off. It's the best car situation I have ever had the pleasure of being in.

It's utterly unreliable and the engine will blow if you mod it incorrectly or accelerate in the higher gears causing LSPI(Low Speed Pre Ignition).

Anyway, Porsche-GAF, got a question for y'all.

$32K for an 04 911 Carrera 4S... good price or bad?

I'm not getting one anytime soon, but if prices stay around the same range at the end of the year... it's definitely gonna be possible for me, but that's also if I sell the Miata which is already a difficult idea to think about lol.

I know it's totally random, but I'm sitting here waiting for a video to finish exporting so might as well look at Autotrader right?

That seems about right. I'm still a member of the Porsche Club and I get the Panorama magazine each month and it always has classified ads in the back which of course I read. 996 911's seem to range from about 15k - 45k depending on spec, miles and condition. The 4S is an upper spec and in good condition is usually in the 30k range. 2004 is also the last year for the 996 so that makes it on the higher end of the price spectrum as well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

The F-Pace is awesome. Your dad will enjoy that a lot.

Audis are rather terribly unreliable (I've regrettably owned 3), you're better off avoiding them and sticking to other brands.

Fiat 124 impressions and videos from the drive event are popping up. Most are "it's a Miata with low-end torque".

I wonder if this is going to take a nose dive in OTD price like all other Fiats have. The Abarth for 25k would be an absolute steal.

AlphaSnake

Fiat 124 impressions and videos from the drive event are popping up. Most are "it's a Miata with low-end torque".

I wonder if this is going to take a nose dive in OTD price like all other Fiats have. The Abarth for 25k would be an absolute steal.

Why does the Abarth only make 4 more HP? :|

mkenyon

Banned

Not a huge selection here in the NW. What kind of mileage should I be hoping for?

Found two that are both just under 100k, clean titles.\

Also, thoughts on 2004-2008 S4?

How about Volvo S60-R?

and, I did find this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5574164558.html

Anion

Man I hope jalopnik survives somehow from Gawker's bankruptcy

Literally the best news source imo. I use that and MotorAuthority

matmanx1

Why does the Abarth only make 4 more HP? :|

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's not "conservatively rated" if you know what I mean. Once we get proper 0-60 numbers over a variety of tests it should give us a better picture. One thing is for sure, a tune will easily lift this number to over 200hp, just like in the 500 Abarth.

Also, Jalopnik is throwing down the gauntlet. They are now claiming (via Michael Ballaban) that the new 124 Spyder is better than the Miata. Clickbait or truth? http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-fiat-124-spider-really-is-better-than-the-miat-1781392740

Not a huge selection here in the NW. What kind of mileage should I be hoping for?

Found two that are both just under 100k, clean titles.\

Also, thoughts on 2004-2008 S4?

How about Volvo S60-R?

and, I did find this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5574164558.html

I am a fan of the S60-R but I don't know much about them.

From what I have heard those S4s are a nightmare in ownership costs but again, just what I have heard.

My car is a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 with under 70k miles, basically one 1 owner and a perfect service history. I paid around $10k for it and I feel I got a decent enough deal because it is in incredible condition. No rust, well maintained, just perfect all around.

Here are some pics I posted earlier:

matmanx1

Well, I've already driven and love the ND Miata and my friend works at a Fiat/Maserati dealership, so I can do a comparison for AutoGAF when I get my hands on one.

Please do. Otherwise I don't know how I'm going to explain to my wife my sudden need to go and test drive an ND Miata and a Fiat 124 on the same day when I'm not even shopping for a car.

If you're going to buy a Mazdaspeed 6 there are a few specific things I'd definitely look out for in addition to whatever you'd do for a normal used car.

1. Listen for a rattle from the engine bay on start up, it goes away after about 5 seconds. That can indicate a bad VVT actuator and is kind of expensive to replace.

2. Look at the PTO. These cars have an issue with the PTO seeping gear oil, leave it alone long enough and it'll break. That isn't that expensive(~$300) to replace if you do the work but still a pain.

3. Let the car idle for a while and see if the exhaust starts smoking. If so the seals on the turbo are bad.

I love my car but if you're looking for something that is just a straight up reliable I wouldn't recommend it.

And just to add a picture, here's mine-
E2EfMl0.jpg

Edit - Also the car may be under the Takata airbag recall, although you're in the Pacific NW so possibly not.

AlphaSnake

Reilo used to have a MS6 and one day everything just started shitting the bed. Turbo seals, tick of death, etc. He barely got $4K for it when trading it.

Heres a photo of my car. Have had it for a bit over a year now. Too much for the streets but definitely fun once at the track.
Looking back, I should have bought something cheaper and quadrupled my track days. With this car I'll probably only attend 6 or so events this year due to the insurance cost where as with a cheaper car I wouldn't bother with insurance.
These high HP cars really are a massive waste on the streets.

kDRyfXC.jpg

edit:
reuploaded to imgur. flickr version was ultra compressed.

If you're going to buy a Mazdaspeed 6 there are a few specific things I'd definitely look out for in addition to whatever you'd do for a normal used car.

1. Listen for a rattle from the engine bay on start up, it goes away after about 5 seconds. That can indicate a bad VVT actuator and is kind of expensive to replace.

2. Look at the PTO. These cars have an issue with the PTO seeping gear oil, leave it alone long enough and it'll break. That isn't that expensive(~$300) to replace if you do the work but still a pain.

3. Let the car idle for a while and see if the exhaust starts smoking. If so the seals on the turbo are bad.

I love my car but if you're looking for something that is just a straight up reliable I wouldn't recommend it.

And just to add a picture, here's mine-
E2EfMl0.jpg

Edit - Also the car may be under the Takata airbag recall, although you're in the Pacific NW so possibly not.

Yup, I'm actually about to take my in for the VVT work just to get it out of the way and make sure I don't have to worry about it. Also getting the fuel pump internals upgraded to take care of that worry.

I love those rims on your MS6 man, that looks fantastic.
Heres a photo of my car. Have had it for a bit over a year now. Too much for the streets but definitely fun once at the track.
Looking back, I should have bought something cheaper and quadrupled my track days. With this car I'll probably only attend 6 or so events this year due to the insurance cost where as with a cheaper car I wouldn't bother with insurance.

27491446592_030d4fd16d_b.jpg

Goddam that is a gorgeous car.

AlphaSnake

27491446592_030d4fd16d_b.jpg

Depending on the power to weight ratio? I think things like the M3, M4, and even my own XKR (or F-Type R, if you will) are just fine. But some of these pointlessly brutish cars like ZR1s, new Z06s, Hellcats, etc. are excessive. I don't mind AWD exotics like Lambos and 911 Turbos since they can actually put their power down without killing you.

Depending on the power to weight ratio? I think things like the M3, M4, and even my own XKR (or F-Type R, if you will) are just fine. But some of these pointlessly brutish cars like ZR1s, new Z06s, Hellcats, etc. are excessive. I don't mind AWD exotics like Lambos and 911 Turbos since they can actually put their power down without killing you.

I just think that ~300HP cars with a 2.0 turbo or a 6 are at the limit of whats really necessary on public roads for daily use.

Momentary

Banned
Picked this up for my wife.

2016 Discovery Sport. 6000 miles on it. The dealership and our bank treated the vehicle as new so we got a FANTASTIC rate on it alone with a heavy discount.

I have an appointment tomorrow at the Mercedes-Benz dealership for the AMG GLA45, but this reliability chart posted here has got me thinking.

Which also means I'm already fucked with the Land Rover.

Evo X

I just think that ~300HP cars with a 2.0 turbo or a 6 are at the limit of whats really necessary on public roads for daily use.

Yeah, I really liked my E46 M3 and Boxster S as street cars. They were really well balanced with enough performance to have fun, but not crazy dangerous fast. Cayman GTS was right on the line as well, but I think GT4 has crossed into the realm of too much for the road. Not necessarily in horsepower, but all the other things like low front end clearance, fixed bucket seats, wide super agressive compound tires, brake and road noise, gas mileage, attention, etc.

On different note, got a call from a friend who wants me to visit him, drive a Huracan + 991 GT3RS back to back and share some thoughts. Possible special appearances by Aventador and 650S as well. Some days, life isn't so bad. :D

Top Bottom