• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Heres a photo of my car. Have had it for a bit over a year now. Too much for the streets but definitely fun once at the track.
Looking back, I should have bought something cheaper and quadrupled my track days. With this car I'll probably only attend 6 or so events this year due to the insurance cost where as with a cheaper car I wouldn't bother with insurance.
These high HP cars really are a massive waste on the streets.

kDRyfXC.jpg

edit:
reuploaded to imgur. flickr version was ultra compressed.

Gorgeous car. I love love love the look of the f80 m3. They look much better than the m4 IMO.

And no these high power cars are not a waste for the streets. You can have just as much fun in a legal way but you've got to choose your moments.

Not a huge selection here in the NW. What kind of mileage should I be hoping for?

Found two that are both just under 100k, clean titles.\

Damn, last I checked(last night), there's only one MS6 on sale here in the entire state of Texas. I'd probably have gone to pick it up if I was that desperate but I've got until fall before my Miata becomes useless in the winter so I don't mind.

My car is a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 with under 70k miles, basically one 1 owner and a perfect service history. I paid around $10k for it and I feel I got a decent enough deal because it is in incredible condition. No rust, well maintained, just perfect all around.

Here are some pics I posted earlier:

That's gorgeous. One of the things I love about it is that it's a proper sleeper car. It looks like your bog-standard Mazda 6 to the untrained eye, but in reality it's got a rocket hiding under it.

Sam Smith at R&T said the opposite (http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/news/a29486/fiat-124-qa-review/).

I'd probably trust MiataGAF over either of them.

Honestly, I'm more inclined to agree with R&T or C&D.

And it's not that Jalopnik is bad or whatever, just that Jalopnik has had a yuuge hard on for the Fiata ever since it got announced so I don't think their review is fully objective.

Evo X

Anyone here drive a Cayman as a daily driver in the winter? Dumb idea?

My friend daily drove his GT4 this past winter in Chicago, so a normal Cayman will be no problem at all.

k8fDN0M.jpg

gqS36qM.jpg

And it's not that Jalopnik is bad or whatever, just that Jalopnik has had a yuuge hard on for the Fiata ever since it got announced so I don't think their review is fully objective.

Yeah, and I suppose you are real objective on the matter. lol

Car reviews are inherently subjective. Sure you can list the numbers and figures, but how a car makes you feel emotionally is a big part of the driving experience.

So much awesome in this thread...the GT4s...

Recently traded my '11 M3 DCT for a well kitted out, low miles '15 911 GTS manual.

Cx9b2fKl.jpg

911 was always my halo car going back to my childhood in the...*cough* 70s.

FxpCwPql.jpg

matmanx1

Heres a photo of my car. Have had it for a bit over a year now. Too much for the streets but definitely fun once at the track.
Looking back, I should have bought something cheaper and quadrupled my track days. With this car I'll probably only attend 6 or so events this year due to the insurance cost where as with a cheaper car I wouldn't bother with insurance.

kDRyfXC.jpg

edit:

You have a gorgeous car. No doubt about it. But yeah, there's something to be said for the minimalist approach to a fun car where you have "enough" but not too much.

I've gone from a 330hp G37 to a 230hp 128i to a 166hp MX-5 and there's no doubt in my mind which is the most fun to fling around with reckless abandon (the MX-5).

I just think that ~300HP cars with a 2.0 turbo or a 6 are at the limit of whats really necessary on public roads for daily use.

I think it depends on how heavy of a foot you have and how easily you can exercise restraint. I have a very heavy foot and even with the MX-5 I find myself at extralegal speeds more often than I care to admit. Some folks would probably be just fine with a 500hp car on public roads and be completely safe and sane with it. But I wouldn't =)

Picked this up for my wife.

2016 Discovery Sport. 6000 miles on it. The dealership and our bank treated the vehicle as new so we got a FANTASTIC rate on it alone with a heavy discount.

I have an appointment tomorrow at the Mercedes-Benz dealership for the AMG GLA45, but this reliability chart posted here has got me thinking.

Which also means I'm already fucked with the Land Rover.

Very good looking LR. Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah, I really liked my E46 M3 and Boxster S as street cars. They were really well balanced with enough performance to have fun, but not crazy dangerous fast. Cayman GTS was right on the line as well, but I think GT4 has crossed into the realm of too much for the road. Not necessarily in horsepower, but all the other things like low front end clearance, fixed bucket seats, wide super agressive compound tires, brake and road noise, gas mileage, attention, etc.

On different note, got a call from a friend who wants me to visit him, drive a Huracan + 991 GT3RS back to back and share some thoughts. Possible special appearances by Aventador and 650S as well. Some days, life isn't so bad. :D

You know where to bring those pictures and impressions, right?!

Anyone here drive a Cayman as a daily driver in the winter? Dumb idea?

I did so with a Boxster. It's not bad. I did have seat heaters though, which are helpful. Winter tires might be a requirement depending on where you live.

Recently traded my '11 M3 DCT for a well kitted out, low miles '15 911 GTS manual.

Cx9b2fKl.jpg

FxpCwPql.jpg

Woohoo! Gorgeous 911. Love it!

Pterion

Nice rides guys!

The GTS is easily my favorite "reasonably affordable" car on the road right now. Would really like one within 2-3 years.

negitoro7

I just think that ~300HP cars with a 2.0 turbo or a 6 are at the limit of whats really necessary on public roads for daily use.

I hear ya. My stock 292hp, 280tq MK7 Golf R feels so capable that I wonder how excessive going Stage 2 will be.
Too late to turn back now, ordered the HPA downpipe.

My friend daily drove his GT4 this past winter in Chicago, so a normal Cayman will be no problem at all.

http://i.imgur.com/gqS36qM.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Big, meaty, exposed to view rear tires get me hard, and I ain't afraid to say it.

[quote="FlexMentallo, post: 206427375"]So much awesome in this thread...the GT4s...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Cx9b2fKl.jpg

FxpCwPql.jpg
Congrats! Porsche absolutely killed it with the looks of the 991, and I bet it's a dream to drive.

Got a Tascam DR-05 for "work purposes" (heh) so of course what better way to start with an exhaust video from my Miata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4WkUfpN1Y

Stock everything but the intake(which you obviously can't hear lol) and the excellent Goodwin Racing "Race" muffler.

Turn those speakers up! I personally think it's pretty epic lol.

Next video I do is gonna be a full run, I just need a lavalier mic or something that I can hang close to the exhaust. I'd do a top down run but I'm pretty sure the vibrations and the wind noise is gonna degrade the sound.

Yeah, and I suppose you are real objective on the matter. lol

Car reviews are inherently subjective. Sure you can list the numbers and figures, but how a car makes you feel emotionally is a big part of the driving experience.

Lol I dunno. I just felt that R&T and C&D's review was more informative than Jalopnik's and that just made R&T/C&D's review more valid to me.

Granted it was just a first drive review so I'll hold judgement until I can drive one myself or they actually get to do instrumented testing or whatever.

No Love

Banned
Yeah, that'd be optimal. I'm so scared of picking up a used one though. If I knew the home it was coming from, i'd be all over it.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

No Love, I was really hoping you'd chime in. Always great advice on value gems.

Not a huge selection here in the NW. What kind of mileage should I be hoping for?

Found two that are both just under 100k, clean titles.

Also, thoughts on 2004-2008 S4?

How about Volvo S60-R?

and, I did find this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5574164558.html

I would stay far away from B6-B7 S4's. The V8 in them is cool but the timing chain guides fail with regularity... plus it's an Audi so it's just fucking stupid to work on.

Volvo 😄 Don't start.

kDRyfXC.jpg

edit:

vary nice!! f80 is my favorite bwm at the moment. It's pretty much perfect!!!

I semi agree with high end hp is kinda a waste for street driving and the hp limit keeps climbing on the current cars..

Cx9b2fKl.jpg

FxpCwPql.jpg

great car and color!

I think 911 GTS is a nice middle ground. I think the turbo GT# RS is cool and all, but it's kinda silly for the street.

If anyone is looking for a Mazdaspeed 6 a long time member on mazdaspeedforums.org and mazda6club just put his up for sale. It's probably going to be as well maintained and tastefully modded as you're going to find. The guy has been documenting everything he's done to the car for the last ~8 years online and has a great rep. Earlier in the thread I said I wouldn't recommend one to people, but if I was going to buy another I'd feel comfortable with this one.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/cars/391929-fs-2006-mazdaspeed6-gt.html

Evo X

Went out in the morning at sunrise for a cruise to Lake Michegan. Perfect weather, no traffic, windy roads and chill music. It was so relaxing.

ej1OLhO.jpg

w9Mu7kE.jpg

1yplxd8.jpg

Met a dude by the coastline in a C6 Vette that had the same idea. Really miss having a drop top sometimes!

tAKJKGL.jpg

Went to grab breakfast afterwards. Was so sleep deprived that I almost drove into the curb while I was parking. Yikes! Those would have been some expensive fucking pancakes. lol

2K54Xvw.jpg

That license plate though lmao.

I know. It's hilarious. He gets spotted a lot because of it. He also had a 991 GT3 with the license plate "PDK"

Tracking looks exhausting.

It definitely is. I was so tired after my 4 sessions on track last week. Just wanted to pass out.

Cx9b2fKl.jpg

FxpCwPql.jpg

Awww Yeah, white Porsche buddy! And in manual too! Congrats and enjoy. It really is a stunning car. Those center lock wheels look dope. It's a great feeling getting one of your dream cars, huh? I was smiling non-stop for days after taking delivery of the GT4.

I think you have a better street car than the 991 GT3 personally. Almost as much horsepower, wider torque band, better luxury amenities and you can still row your own gears.

One suggestion though if I was in your shoes. Clean up some of that writing in the back. "PORSCHE 911 Carrera GTS" is a bit much. I would debadge everything except the GTS and reposition it in the center. At the very least, get rid of "911 Carrera" and put the GTS in the center under the Porsche logo like it is on my car. Everyone knows it's a 911 when they look it at. You don't need to spell it out for them.

You know where to bring those pictures and impressions, right?!

Oh yeah, for sure. Haven't driven either car yet so it should be a fun new experience.

Big, meaty, exposed to view rear tires get me hard, and I ain't afraid to say it.

I was thinking the same thing. Car looks so sexy from that angle. Love seeing big rubber on small cars.

It's a great feeling getting one of your dream cars, huh? I was smiling non-stop for days after taking delivery of the GT4.

Yeah, absolutely.

I was seriously weighing up a GT4 against this, but the dealer markup and limited availability of them pushed me towards a 911. Had a friend do Euro delivery of a white GT4 like yours a few months back, he loves it.

One suggestion though if I was in your shoes. Clean up some of that writing in the back. "PORSCHE 911 Carrera GTS" is a bit much.

Hah, totally agree. Way too much on there. I have a plain black 911 badge sitting on my kitchen table, which is what I would have gone with if I had bought new. Just need to get around to doing the rebadging. I'll probably get somewhere with a template to do it, not sure I trust my skills to line it up properly.

matmanx1

I'm not even mad although I can't reconcile the exhaust note of an LS1 to a vintage Porsche. My brain just doesn't want to process it.

Got a Tascam DR-05 for "work purposes" (heh) so of course what better way to start with an exhaust video from my Miata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4WkUfpN1Y

Stock everything but the intake(which you obviously can't hear lol) and the excellent Goodwin Racing "Race" muffler.

Turn those speakers up! I personally think it's pretty epic lol.

Next video I do is gonna be a full run, I just need a lavalier mic or something that I can hang close to the exhaust. I'd do a top down run but I'm pretty sure the vibrations and the wind noise is gonna degrade the sound.

Lol I dunno. I just felt that R&T and C&D's review was more informative than Jalopnik's and that just made R&T/C&D's review more valid to me.

Granted it was just a first drive review so I'll hold judgement until I can drive one myself or they actually get to do instrumented testing or whatever.

Sounds good! At some point I will probably get around to installing an exhaust on mine but I have other things I want to do first like upgraded tires, brakes and suspension.

If anyone is looking for a Mazdaspeed 6 a long time member on mazdaspeedforums.org and mazda6club just put his up for sale. It's probably going to be as well maintained and tastefully modded as you're going to find. The guy has been documenting everything he's done to the car for the last ~8 years online and has a great rep. Earlier in the thread I said I wouldn't recommend one to people, but if I was going to buy another I'd feel comfortable with this one.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/cars/391929-fs-2006-mazdaspeed6-gt.html

Goddam, now I am jealous. That looks so good.

Anybody creating a Auto-GAF Forza Horizon 3 club? Count me in! Lol.

Sounds good! At some point I will probably get around to installing an exhaust on mine but I have other things I want to do first like upgraded tires, brakes and suspension.

Yeah, those mods are more important. The Race muffler just adds more sound tbh as I honestly haven't noticed the 20lbs drop it's supposed to have over stock.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Evoque is a garbage tier crossover that doesn't deserve the Range Rover name.

Umm...ouch. I just bought this one for a steal as a pure daily/bad weather/rain/family car for myself.

But thanks.

Evo X

Umm...ouch. I just bought this one for a steal as a pure daily/bad weather/rain/family car for myself.

But thanks.

lmao, sorry bro. From the wording of your post, I thought you were just testing one out like I was with the Tesla. Didn't realize you actually bought it or I wouldn't have been so harsh.

How much did you get it for? Maybe it makes sense for the price and your use for it.

Admittedly, It's been a few years since I drove one, but I found it to perform below par when comparing it to it's competitors at new MSRP. Unrefined, slow, and cramped. They aren't really renowned for their reliability either. I am really curious to hear your reasons for picking one up. Don't you have two 4 seater Jags that can be used as daily/family cars?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
lmao, sorry bro. From the wording of your post, I thought you were just testing one out like I was with the Tesla. Didn't realize you actually bought it or I wouldn't have been so harsh.

How much did you get it for? Maybe it makes sense for the price and your use for it.

Admittedly, It's been a few years since I drove one, but I found it to perform below par when comparing it to it's competitors at new MSRP. Unrefined, slow, and cramped. They aren't really renowned for their reliability either. I am really curious to hear your reasons for picking one up. Don't you have two 4 seater Jags that can be used as daily/family cars?

Just let us know when you start calling things "shite", or using "bloody" as a normal part of conversation.

Don't worry. I think it's a really good looking car. In fact, I think it's the only good looking SUV out there.

I was just fucking with you all. It's a loaner. Hahaha.

This car is indeed rather shite. I've driven them before when me mum wanted one. And I talked her out of it. Not the best materials for such an expensive bit of kit. Land Rover is taking the piss with this one.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was just fucking with you all. It's a loaner. Hahaha.

This car is indeed rather shite. I've driven them before when me mum wanted one. And I talked her out of it. Not the best materials for such an expensive bit of kit. Land Rover is taking the piss with this one.

SHYAMALANNNED

BTW, finally tested out the Merc 300C.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get this. It's a baby S Class. It's a Bargain. Only thing I hated was the Mongo screen.

Other choice is a Q50.

Top Bottom