• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

mkenyon

Banned
Test drove the Ram 2500 6.4L Gasser and the 6.7L Cummins.

800 lb-ft of torque.

EIGHT HUNDRED.

Found a good diesel tuner shop that's local as well. This is going to be a fun rabbit hole.

The interior is simply gorgeous. Definitely a much nicer place to be than the GM twins. The ride was much nicer than my Tundra as well, probably due to the rear coils.

I'm going to give the Titan XD a go today or tomorrow. If it blows away the Ram in overall input feel (steering/brakes/etc) I might go that route. It'll have to be significant to give up that power though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Test drove the Ram 2500 6.4L Gasser and the 6.7L Cummins.

800 lb-ft of torque.

EIGHT HUNDRED.

Found a good diesel tuner shop that's local as well. This is going to be a fun rabbit hole.

The interior is simply gorgeous. Definitely a much nicer place to be than the GM twins. The ride was much nicer than my Tundra as well, probably due to the rear coils.

I'm going to give the Titan XD a go today or tomorrow. If it blows away the Ram in overall input feel (steering/brakes/etc) I might go that route. It'll have to be significant to give up that power though.

You won't like the Nissan. Not many people do.

Waaghals

SHYAMALANNNED

BTW, finally tested out the Merc 300C.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get this. It's a baby S Class. It's a Bargain. Only thing I hated was the Mongo screen.

Other choice is a Q50.

That tablet-screen-glued-to-the-dash isn't really a problem. It is silly, but the actual positioning of it in terms of ergonomics is good and you'll quickly get used to it.

I've always felt the actual navigation of Audio 20 system to be a bit slow and laggy though.

AlphaSnake

SHYAMALANNNED

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get this. It's a baby S Class. It's a Bargain. Only thing I hated was the Mongo screen.

Other choice is a Q50.

But it was great. Gorgeous cabin. Smooth ride. Quiet. Luxurious. Quick. Well equipped.

C300 Coupe? Or C300 Sedan? The C at the end of the 300 makes me think coupe.

In any case, they're fine cars, just a bit too expensive for a 4-banger turbo. I don't find them to be particularly quick, either. It's a fairly grumbly 4-cylinder, imo, with unpleasant noises, unlike the much, much smoother and faster BMW 328i with its 2.0T. Having said that, apart from great performance (better engine and transmission) the BMW fails everywhere else. The C-Class is without question a much better looking car inside and out, with much better materials comprising it.

But Mercedes reliability with forced induction motors (see: All "Kompressor" and "supercharged" 55 AMGs) has been rather poor. I recall hearing some issues with GLAs and CLAs recently as well, with the same motor.

The new Q50 Infiniti is definitely fast and a good car for the coin, but consider looking at the new Jaguar XE with the supercharged 3.0 (called 35T in the US).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
C300 Coupe? Or C300 Sedan? The C at the end of the 300 makes me think coupe.

In any case, they're fine cars, just a bit too expensive for a 4-banger turbo. I don't find them to be particularly quick, either. It's a fairly grumbly 4-cylinder, imo, with unpleasant noises, unlike the much, much smoother and faster BMW 328i with its 2.0T. Having said that, apart from great performance (better engine and transmission) the BMW fails everywhere else. The C-Class is without question a much better looking car inside and out, with much better materials comprising it.

But Mercedes reliability with forced induction motors (see: All "Kompressor" and "supercharged" 55 AMGs) has been rather poor. I recall hearing some issues with GLAs and CLAs recently as well, with the same motor.

The new Q50 Infiniti is definitely fast and a good car for the coin, but consider looking at the new Jaguar XE with the supercharged 3.0 (called 35T in the US).

AWD sedan.

mkenyon

Banned
You won't like the Nissan. Not many people do.
That's because they're comparing it to 1/2 tons instead of 3/4 tons. It's more like a 5/8 ton. It's on a HD platform, basically. The standard Titan (non-XD) half ton is coming out in September, but I'm not interested in that.

Plus, apparently it's VERY mildly tuned out of the box. There's going to be some tunes available in the next few months that will squeeze 100-200hp out of it easy, and that's just for regular DD tunes. Mated to the A+ Aisin tranny, you don't have to worry about breaking it. It's the same one they use on the Ram 3500 with 900 lb-ft of torque.
Holy smokes, whatcha need all them torques for?
We honestly don't. The main hauling duty is a 3200lb gooseneck horse trailer, which is closer to 7k loaded. But, hauling over the Cascades is just slightly uncomfortable enough in our Tundra longbed. To add to that, it's only 2WD, and we've moved from Western WA to Bend, OR which is high desert with 20-30 inches of snow per year. So since we were in the market for a proper hauling truck with 4WD, figured we'd start looking at the GM 2500HDs, and Ram 2500s.

One of the things I've discovered that I was totally unaware of previously is how much weight goosenecks put in the bed, which is about 20% of the total hauling weight. So we're right at the edge already (a little bit over actually) on payload with our Tundra.

The Rams are just a stupid good deal, especially right now due to them trying to get rid of all the 2016 models. A Laramie 2500 Cummins (leather, proper audio, all the goodies) is about 50-52k, which is 10-12k off MSRP.

So, at that point, why not get the one with 800 lb-ft of torque? :p

I've grown rather fond of the looks, especially with the sport appearance package.

Ram-Black-Appearance-Group-0.jpg

Evo X

I was just fucking with you all. It's a loaner. Hahaha.

This car is indeed rather shite. I've driven them before when me mum wanted one. And I talked her out of it. Not the best materials for such an expensive bit of kit. Land Rover is taking the piss with this one.

Lol, you asshole. Made me feel bad for a second there.

SHYAMALANNNED

Other choice is a Q50.

C class is amazing. Huge step up from last gen. Like you said, a baby S Class.

I'm tempted to pick up a C63S as a daily.

The Rams are just a stupid good deal, especially right now due to them trying to get rid of all the 2016 models. A Laramie 2500 Cummins (leather, proper audio, all the goodies) is about 50-52k, which is 10-12k off MSRP.

Well I guess you're one of those people that can actually use one of those things, but fuck me that price.

The rise of luxury trucks is a thing I'll never understand.

UFO

Banned
That's because they're comparing it to 1/2 tons instead of 3/4 tons. It's more like a 5/8 ton. It's on a HD platform, basically. The standard Titan (non-XD) half ton is coming out in September, but I'm not interested in that.

Plus, apparently it's VERY mildly tuned out of the box. There's going to be some tunes available in the next few months that will squeeze 100-200hp out of it easy, and that's just for regular DD tunes. Mated to the A+ Aisin tranny, you don't have to worry about breaking it. It's the same one they use on the Ram 3500 with 900 lb-ft of torque.

We honestly don't. The main hauling duty is a 3200lb gooseneck horse trailer, which is closer to 7k loaded. But, hauling over the Cascades is just slightly uncomfortable enough in our Tundra longbed. To add to that, it's only 2WD, and we've moved from Western WA to Bend, OR which is high desert with 20-30 inches of snow per year. So since we were in the market for a proper hauling truck with 4WD, figured we'd start looking at the GM 2500HDs, and Ram 2500s.

One of the things I've discovered that I was totally unaware of previously is how much weight goosenecks put in the bed, which is about 20% of the total hauling weight. So we're right at the edge already (a little bit over actually) on payload with our Tundra.

I've grown rather fond of the looks, especially with the sport appearance package.

I want a 2500 Cummins sooooooo baaaaaaaaad.
My HEMI will have to do for now :(

Well I guess you're one of those people that can actually use one of those things, but fuck me that price.

The rise of luxury trucks is a thing I'll never understand.

1. Extremely comfortable
2. Packed full of tech
3. Loads of power
4. Haul/tow toys
5. Big rear seats so make great family vehicles
6. Decent gas milage
7. High resale value

ascii42

1. Extremely comfortable
2. Packed full of tech
3. Loads of power
4. Haul/tow toys
6. Decent gas milage
7. High resale value

You forgot 8. Murica.

1. Extremely comfortable
2. Packed full of tech
3. Loads of power
4. Haul/tow toys
6. Decent gas milage
7. High resale value

1. No. No! They're not! No matter how nice they get, they're still trucks on truck frames with truck suspensions. The nicest trucks are only comfortable relative to less nice trucks. And the heavier duty the truck the worse it gets.
2. Any luxury vehicle is.
3. It's a truck, so who gives a shit? Even if it's fast it's not built to handle at high speeds.
4. This is the only thing on this list that's a pro in the truck column. If you need item four then okay (most people don't).
5. Again, lots of vehicles have big back seats, but on top of that have covered storage in the rear or *gasp* even more seats!
6. The fuck? Again, relative to what? Even bigger trucks?
7. Mysteriously yes. The market for used trucks is way better than it has a right be.

Honestly there are three reasons to have a truck.

1. You frequently tow or haul above what a car can do.
2. You off road and want to combine your DD and your off roader.
3. You like being high up and you think it's fun driving a big old pick 'em up truck, downsides be damned.

Any other reasons are nonsense justifications for your emotional response to trucks. "I like trucks, I think they're cool" is a good enough reason.

It's the combination of people liking big trucks so much that they're willing to pretend they don't have serious compromises and so load them up with luxury items is an incomprehensible concept to me. In sports car terms it's like starting with an Ariel Atom and deciding to make it a luxury car. Wrong platform for that direction.

I suppose you can make the justification that if you're going to be in a truck it may as well be as nice as it can be, but why not just go with something else unless you actually need the features the truck provides?

Edit: Pet peeve of mine. I'm on a constriction site where a lot of the management staff drive huge, premium trucks with pristine beds and no tow packages. It's purely a machismo thing for them, and they have the attitudes to match.

Makki

Nah the article I linked to was a post highlighting the comment of the day, which was a comment on the article about the praying mantis in front of the RC car calling the Mark II a Skyline.

I see that now, I didnt want to read the comment from the dude. I think the staff knows better but just rolled with the Skyline story... I hope (hence the article main shot).

Edit: Pet peeve of mine. I'm on a constriction site where a lot of the management staff drive huge, premium trucks with pristine beds and no tow packages. It's purely a machismo thing for them, and they have the attitudes to match.

Psh, try the entire state of Texas.

There's a guy in my office bldg that has this fugly POS:

And he's a finance guy for a home health company.

You'd think somebody who actually works with money wouldn't be suckered into these POS' but nah, he definitely did.

Anion

SHYAMALANNNED

Other choice is a Q50.

Lol you should get it. I mean I can shill for merc, but the new class can speak for itself without any shilling needed

If your up for it, the Mercedes european delivery program is really really good. 7% off MSRP right off the bat.

mkenyon

Banned
I suppose you can make the justification that if you're going to be in a truck it may as well be as nice as it can be, but why not just go with something else unless you actually need the features the truck provides?

That's pretty much it right there.

Going down to a less luxurious model only saves 5k. Plus it gets better mileage than my EX35, so might as well make it our daily driver.

And ultimately, 3 years or less from now, since my wife will already have her perfect vehicle, how can she say no to that certified 911/Panamera/Macan? ;)

matmanx1

Yeah, that's a good lucking diesel. No doubt about it.

My area of northwest Ga is pretty much the same way. Trucks everywhere, just because! And if it isn't a truck, it's an SUV, which is pretty much just a truck with the bed covered!

That being said, I did join the truck club at least on a part time basis this year when I purchased the used GX. I get why people love their "luxury" trucks although I'm very happy to not drive it every day. As long as the weather is decent I would much rather be in the MX-5.

Falch

Thanks guys, thing's an absolute blast. I'll take it out for good spin as soon as the weather clears up but it's a riot just driving around at slow speeds.

TylerD

Midland is especially bad. Every time I'm down there I'm amazed by the number of brand new massive lifted trucks I see. Probably a lot of oil field workers blowing 60-70K+ on a truck. Not smart for such a cyclical industry.

Lubbock is pretty bad too and there are a ton of farmers that drop large dirt clods on the highway and roads on the way home from the fields in the evenings. Keeps me on my toes.

Don't know if I'll ever be a truck guy but I'd gladly own a F-150 Raptor. The Ram 1500 quadcab hemi I ended up with as a rental when on business in Wisconsin was pretty fun.

ascii42

There's a guy in my office bldg that has this fugly POS:

And he's a finance guy for a home health company.

You'd think somebody who actually works with money wouldn't be suckered into these POS' but nah, he definitely did.

Yeah...I did like the Avalanche conceptually, at least. Never had one to see how well the midgate idea worked in practice, though. I suppose the Escalanche is at least more useful than the Lincoln Blackwood, which had a carpeted bed.

Speaking of vehicular oddities, I recently saw a GMC Envoy XUV. Those had a retracting roof thing. Another interesting idea that I wonder how well it worked in practice.
ENVOY-BACK.jpg

Mistel

Banned
peaking of vehicular oddities, I recently saw a GMC Envoy XUV. Those had a retracting roof thing. Another interesting idea that I wonder how well it worked in practice.
ENVOY-BACK.jpg
Well if the sales are anything to go by it did terribly only lasting a single model year. But the Studebaker Wagonaire had similar features did last 3 model years so they must have been practical for somethings.

Evo X

Reviews of the F-Type SVR are starting to come out, and the engineers have apparently done an incredible job absolutely transforming the car. Takes all the best bits of the F-Type and cranks them up to 11 while eliminating nearly all the flaws and turning it into a true driver's car.

Bravo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZ4GsYzcD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsTk6yI1qoU

I was informed that the Ultimate Black on Adrenaline Red one I specced will be coming in soon. Hmmm....

I know I'm a broken record, but DCTs absolutely ruin the exhaust note of cars on the upshift. I just can't get excited about the exhaust of any DCT car. Am I alone in this?

Really, just think about how much more sick that Jag would sound with an appreciable pause of over-rev between the gears.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can anyone comment on how much a dealer might discount the MSRP of a vehicle on a lease? I have never negotiated a lease before, but the more I look, the more I'm considering going that direction - but I'm pretty picky about how I'd work it out.

Currently looking at a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack. Using the configurator on Dodge's site, the price, including destination, for the package I'd want comes out to $44,970.

My Jeep is paid off and still under warranty, and so my wife is happy to take that. I was going to use her paid-off 2011 Fusion as the "down payment" on a used 2015 Challenger. I/we have excellent credit, so I don't see any reason I'd be paying much more than 2% interest if I go through my bank. If I can find one under $35K, I figured I can get my payments under $500/month, which is kind of my "mental sweet spot." I can certainly afford more - but with kids planned in our future and us maybe taking a chance on a business - I just can't in good conscience have more than a half-grand car payment each month.

With the purchase option, I'll miss out on some options/niceties, I'll have a car that's been used (likely pretty hard), and I know that no matter how much I love my car, I'll want something new in 3 years or so anyway. I'll always want something new, and (KNOCK ON WOOD), I'm in a position where I'm comfortable I'll be able to bounce to a new car every few years on a lease.

So - with the lease, at the configurator's $44,970, 36 months, 15,000 miles/yr (all must-haves), it comes out to $596/month with nothing down.

So, ultimately two questions:

I would need to put down about $3,500 to keep payments under $500 - I don't want to put hardly anything down on a lease. If I "met in the middle," any chance they'd knock ~$1,750 off the price, and I throw in $1,750 cash?

Secondly, are dealers even willing to consider taking an advertised lease on the manufacturer's website, and allowing the customer to adjust for a higher payment with *nothing* down?

AlphaSnake

I know I'm a broken record, but DCTs absolutely ruin the exhaust note of cars on the upshift. I just can't get excited about the exhaust of any DCT car. Am I alone in this?

Really, just think about how much more sick that Jag would sound with an appreciable pause of over-rev between the gears.

Jaguar doesn't have a DCT in any one of its cars.

Also, you are alone. The SVR couldn't sound any better.

Evo X

Holy crap, can you guys believe the results of this drag race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkGhiTSS8M8

It's just you.

Reviews of the F-Type SVR are starting to come out, and the engineers have apparently done an incredible job absolutely transforming the car. Takes all the best bits of the F-Type and cranks them up to 11 while eliminating nearly all the flaws and turning it into a true driver's car.

Bravo.

I was informed that the Ultimate Black on Adrenaline Red one I specced will be coming in soon. Hmmm....

That car is breath taking....gosh the look and sound is entoxicating. I like how its still classy...not too race/track car looking.

um? what???!!...that's kinda stretching it...

GHG

It depends on how the exhaust note is tuned I think.

High powered turbo 4 pot engines tend to sound like farts on upshifts (VW and Mercedes I'm looking at you) but if you listen to something like a Porsche or mclaren's exhaust it's completely different.

I see where you're coming from but it's not really true across all cars and brands.

Xdye7

It depends completely on how the engine and transmission are tuned. You could technically achieve the same sound as when shifting a manual, but that would defeat the purpose of having an instant shifting dual clutch system. I do agree that manuals generally tend to sound better when upshifting, and am also not really a fan of the DSG fart typically found on VW/Audi cars. However it should be clear that "poor gear change sound" is not a universal characteristic of all cars missing a clutch pedal.

Well, there is only one thing you can negotiate in a lease. The full price. FCA will fix an interest rate and residual value (value at end of lease as a percentage of price). The three dealers I went to (Subaru, GM and Mazda) said they would only lease through the OEM's captive lender.

Down payment (and using your 2011 fusion) is a complete different thing. My suggestion would be for no downpayment. If you can afford $3500 today and a $500 payment, you can afford 0 down and $600 payment for the 36 month lease. Why get hung up on that $500 number?

As for the price negotiation, look on kbb or some challenger forums to see what people in your area paying. Usually that part of the buying process (figuring out price) is the same for buyers and leasers.

Jaguar doesn't have a DCT in any one of its cars.

Also, you are alone. The SVR couldn't sound any better.

Yes I am dumb, I forgot all about the auto in that car--it's easy because of just how good it's purported to shift. I'll say that the SVR could definitely sound better, though, see below.

It depends completely on how the engine and transmission are tuned. You could technically achieve the same sound as when shifting a manual, but that would defeat the purpose of having an instant shifting dual clutch system. I do agree that manuals generally tend to sound better when upshifting, and am also not really a fan of the DSG fart typically found on VW/Audi cars. However it should be clear that "poor gear change sound" is not a universal characteristic of all cars missing a clutch pedal.

Well I can agree that there are good tunes and bad tunes for DCT shifts regarding exhaust notes, but it's the difference between what any car sounds like and what it could have sounded like had it been a manual. A sportscar's exhaust note under acceleration should be dramatic, with the high rip-snarl of open throttle mixed with the hollow thrum and pop of closed throttle over-run between shifts. Without that pause the open throttle noise is there but it's never tempered between shifts, and loses all of its drama as a result.

I'll make a film analogy, and I'll use only the finest film for it. Remember Gone in 60 Seconds with Nicolas Cage? Of course you do, you love that movie (dirty Angelina Jolie? Yes please). Now remember the final chase scene where he's hiding out and the car stalls just as a police officer drives by? Or the climactic slo-mo jump over the traffic jam? Now imagine someone was fast forwarding through those bits so it was only the full-speed chase throughout.

That's a DCT. All 90s chase music and quick-cuts and no Nicolas Cage begging a car to start, and that's an affront to everything I hold dear.

Okay, silliness aside, myself being a huge Porsche guy, even I have to admit the GT3 RS sounds like somebody took the totally insane 4.0 engine and gave it bad gas. Does it still sound awesome? Yeah for sure. Does it suck knowing it would sound that much better with off-throttle pauses between gears? Yes.

AlphaSnake

Holy crap, can you guys believe the results of this drag race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkGhiTSS8M8

Yes?

But there are two things wrong with this race: the GTR is sitting on worn tires that had no traction. If the tires were proper, it'd jump on the Porsche. The other is that on paper, as they claim, the GTR's numbers don't look better. The Porsche is 1000lbs lighter with only a 50hp disadvantage. So its power to weight, as they show, is considerably better than the GTR's and it shows as the car keeps pulling away (which is also aided a lot by the much better gearing).

Yes?

But there are two things wrong with this race: the GTR is sitting on worn tires that had no traction. If the tires were proper, it'd jump on the Porsche. The other is that on paper, as they claim, the GTR's numbers don't look better. The Porsche is 1000lbs lighter with only a 50hp disadvantage. So its power to weight, as they show, is considerably better than the GTR's and it shows as the car keeps pulling away (which is also aided a lot by the much better gearing).

they should have compared with the Nismo version instead of the track version which would be a better comparision..closer in price too.

If someone only care about speed there's no better car than the GT-R. A simple tune, down pipe and a set of SS tires, and youre faster than 99% of the cars in the road.

but it's not all about speed.

plus the gt-r is ugly and sound like crap regardless of what exhaust you put it in.

price point/speed wise the GT-R is almost unbeatable....unless you go 12c. The 12c's are crazy insane...

matmanx1

Sorry for the shitty pic, Dutch weather isn't cooperating. I'll have more soon.

Woohoo, welcome to the club!

Bravo.

I still consider the F-Type to be one of the world's most desirable cars, from an aesthetic point of view. If I ever find myself with the means to put one in my garage I would very seriously consider it. And good on Jaguar for continuing to improve a machine which is only a couple of model years old.

Edit - I just checked Wikipedia and they have these worldwide sales numbers. I didn't realize that the F-Type was such a low volume sports car.
2013 6,377
2014 11,506
2015 11,662

We need more F-Types in the world!

AlphaSnake

I really wouldn't call that low volume, to be honest.

In the 3 years of production, 2012, 2013, and 2014...only 9100 XKs were produced and sold worldwide. Now imagine how many of those were XKRs like mine, and even XKR-S. That's low volume.

Top Bottom