• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Sorry to pose yet another question, but you guys always give good advice:

I made the mistake of taking my car to Canadian Tire (national tire chain here in Canada) to get my tires changed over (winter -->summer). Late in the season I know, but I haven't really driven my car much in the last 3 months so I didn't bother until now.

They ripped one of the tires while replacing it (guy said it was a "problem with the machine"). I'll need to replace the tire now. Only problem is that my car has 4-wheel drive (Audi s5 quattro), and I was always told that I shouldn't replace tires alone. What do you guys think I should do- take their offer to replace the one tire, or try and push them to replace the rest too?

If it helps, the front tires have 5/32" tread depth and the rear ones have 7/32" tread depth? It's a leased car, and I was planning on replacing the tires anyways next May when I returned the car. This puts a bit of a dent in my plans.

I made the mistake of taking my car to Canadian Tire (national tire chain here in Canada) to get my tires changed over (winter -->summer). Late in the season I know, but I haven't really driven my car much in the last 3 months so I didn't bother until now.

They ripped one of the tires while replacing it (guy said it was a "problem with the machine"). I'll need to replace the tire now. Only problem is that my car has 4-wheel drive (Audi s5 quattro), and I was always told that I shouldn't replace tires alone. What do you guys think I should do- take their offer to replace the one tire, or try and push them to replace the rest too?

If it helps, the front tires have 5/32" tread depth and the rear ones have 7/32" tread depth? It's a leased car, and I was planning on replacing the tires anyways next May when I returned the car. This puts a bit of a dent in my plans.

Ask them to make sure the replacement tire's tread matches the tire they tore up. They should be able to shave the tread depth of the new/newer tire down to match the other three. Not like you are spending any of your own money on it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Take them up on it. Did the one they rip have more tread left or less? If less, it'll probably feel weird if you have a low-tread tire on one side in the front, and high tread on the other - you may feel it in the steering a bit. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal, to be honest. But I hope it was one of the rears they ripped, so that a new tire in the rear can be mounted along with the 7/32 you have.

The only issue with mis-matching tires on AWD cars is the tread depth. They can replace and shave the tires to match so it doesn't stress the differential.

Unless it's a bald vs new and two totally different tires, compounds, and such...it's absolutely negligible. He has nothing to worry about

MisterNoisy

So I finally decided to pick up a weighted shift knob. Holy moly, the way a heavy knob smooths things out cannot be overstated - I liked the FoST shifter pretty well as it was, but now it's just about perfect.

Also, I think it looks pretty sweet:

TSARVNw.jpg

dBshtxo.jpg

Hey guys I've a what car question - Golf GTI w/ performance + dynamic pack or Focus ST3?

I was looking at finance on the Megane 275 Cup S and they want silly money for it, even in basic trim form.

I'm interested in fuel economy and maintenance costs, but that's secondary to performance and thrill. I know the GTI is down on power but it doesn't appear to hinder its performance in any way!

MisterNoisy

Hey guys I've a what car question - Golf GTI w/ performance + dynamic pack or Focus ST3?

I was looking at finance on the Megane 275 Cup S and they want silly money for it, even in basic trim form.

I'm interested in fuel economy and maintenance costs, but that's secondary to performance and thrill. I know the GTI is down on power but it doesn't appear to hinder its performance in any way!

I was looking at much the same decision (FoST, GTI, WRX) and went with the FoST. Part of the reason was price (lots of discounts currently and when I bought), but I also liked the Focus's more 'raw' nature. Your tastes may differ, so I'd really suggest test driving all three.

Make sure that the FoST doesn't have the all-season tires on it, though - they suck out loud by comparison to the F1 Asymmetrics. I can't imagine why anyone would opt for them.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The only issue with mis-matching tires on AWD cars is the tread depth. They can replace and shave the tires to match so it doesn't stress the differential.

Ask them to make sure the replacement tire's tread matches the tire they tore up. They should be able to shave the tread depth of the new/newer tire down to match the other three. Not like you are spending any of your own money on it.

Take them up on it. Did the one they rip have more tread left or less? If less, it'll probably feel weird if you have a low-tread tire on one side in the front, and high tread on the other - you may feel it in the steering a bit. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal, to be honest. But I hope it was one of the rears they ripped, so that a new tire in the rear can be mounted along with the 7/32 you have.

Unless it's a bald vs new and two totally different tires, compounds, and such...it's absolutely negligible. He has nothing to worry about

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't realise shaving the tread depth was an option.

It was actually one of the rears that they tore up. It was also 7/32". Or maybe 8/32". Not entirely sure. Do you think I should even bother shaving it?

ZetaEpyon

Hahaha, wow.

After driving only the Miata for basically 2.5 weeks, I took my 99 Sierra out today to pick up some stuff from Home Depot after work. My god, I felt like I was driving a house in that thing. Complete with a turning radius of about a quarter mile.

Back to the Miata tomorrow, and not a moment too soon. :)

AlphaSnake

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't realise shaving the tread depth was an option.

It was actually one of the rears that they tore up. It was also 7/32". Or maybe 8/32". Not entirely sure. Do you think I should even bother shaving it?

No, absolutely not. Don't shave it. It will literally make no difference, add any strain, or impact the mechanics of the car at all. 7 or 8/32 is practically still a new tire.

boltz

Beween those two, I would take the FoST. As nice and refined as the GTI interior is, I much prefer the looks of the FoST and it can be had cheaper than the GTI when comparably equipped. For me, the biggest downside to the FoST is the relatively cramped interior.

matmanx1

So I finally decided to pick up a weighted shift knob. Holy moly, the way a heavy knob smooths things out cannot be overstated - I liked the FoST shifter pretty well as it was, but now it's just about perfect.

TSARVNw.jpg

dBshtxo.jpg

This is on my list of mods for my Miata as well. I have been looking at this one:
http://www.raceseng.com/orbature-shift-knob-mazda-6-speed-manual

Raceseng Orbature with Delrin cover. It's pricey but the reviews are great and I like that it is not bare metal against your skin.

Hahaha, wow.

After driving only the Miata for basically 2.5 weeks, I took my 99 Sierra out today to pick up some stuff from Home Depot after work. My god, I felt like I was driving a house in that thing. Complete with a turning radius of about a quarter mile.

Back to the Miata tomorrow, and not a moment too soon. :)

I understand completely. After driving the nearly 5000lb GX470 for a day or two, going back to the Miata feels like I've been given my wings again.

Beween those two, I would take the FoST. As nice and refined as the GTI interior is, I much prefer the looks of the FoST and it can be had cheaper than the GTI when comparably equipped. For me, the biggest downside to the FoST is the relatively cramped interior.

I was looking at much the same decision (FoST, GTI, WRX) and went with the FoST. Part of the reason was price (lots of discounts currently and when I bought), but I also liked the Focus's more 'raw' nature. Your tastes may differ, so I'd really suggest test driving all three.

Make sure that the FoST doesn't have the all-season tires on it, though - they suck out loud by comparison to the F1 Asymmetrics. I can't imagine why anyone would opt for them.

Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the Focus but definitely needa drive them. Just wanted to scope out anything I might not be able to learn by just driving them!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

TSARVNw.jpg

dBshtxo.jpg

Does it come in black? Because if that was a dog I would turn a cold hose on him.

Rengoku

Awww yiss!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv-cPGa9Zsg

Assetto Corsa welcomes the Porsche Brand!

Assetto Corsa has established itself as the leading and benchmark PC racing simulation game thanks to its perfect driving feeling, accuracy of cars and tracks, and last but not least, being the only independent production trusted to feature premium licensing content and top class manufacturers. Assetto Corsa will be coming to console platforms at the end of August 2016.

Today, Kunos Simulazioni is proud to announce that after more than 12 years away from the hardcore sim-racing world, the Porsche Brand will be coming to Assetto Corsa and that it’s working in a close and official partnership with the prestigious car manufacturer to release two DLC packages that will include the most iconic, authentic, awesome cars created by Porsche during its glorious history! The packs are scheduled for release for both PC and console in Fall 2016.

The partnership with Porsche will allow them to use Assetto Corsa to give the chance to its customers, fans and motorsport enthusiasts, to drive its newest models and to prepare for the Porsche driving experience in several Porsche race centers and dealer events worldwide. Porsche are working closely with Kunos Simulazioni to provide the most accurate Porsche virtual experience ever.

Marco Massarutto, Executive&Licensing Manager at Kunos Simulazioni:
I can’t describe how proud we are about this partnership with Porsche, and how exciting it is to bring back the Brand in the simracing world. This Fall, Assetto Corsa will be the only multi-platform title to have the Porsche brand in a genuine racing simulation. The gamers, and our fans really want to have the chance to DRIVE the Porsche cars in a realistic manner. it’s a privilege, and a big responsability for us. We are working closely with Porsche with the aim to reproduce each single model with the maximum accuracy, and the fact that the same simulation will be used at Porsche race centers will push our team even more to provide the best Porsche virtual experience ever.
Welcome back Porsche. Welcome to Assetto Corsa, your racing simulator.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-welcomes-the-porsche-brand/

Even though there have been 3rd party Porsche mods in Assetto Corsa for awhile now, its still great news to finally have official support.

They've also recently updated the game to support Oculus Rift CV1 officially. I was able to play around with it on my current rig and its probably the single most impressive virtual experiences I've ever been in. Nothing quite prepares you for the Nurburging in VR. The sense of presence in VR from this game is just incredible.

MisterNoisy

Does it come in black? Because if that was a dog I would turn a cold hose on him.

There are a lot of color options (including matte/gloss/transparent black) as well as custom engraving - I ordered it from Derrick at Anarchy Motive as part of a group buy on another forum. It took a little time to get done and shipped, but the end result was well worth it, especially for the price.

This is on my list of mods for my Miata as well. I have been looking at this one:
http://www.raceseng.com/orbature-shift-knob-mazda-6-speed-manual

Raceseng Orbature with Delrin cover. It's pricey but the reviews are great and I like that it is not bare metal against your skin.

I dig it - looks sharp, but you weren't kidding about it being pricey, though.

can i get an opinion, currently have a 2013 hyundai elantra. looking to trade it in for a car less than 30,000 (after tax). any advice? looking for something fun to drive

matmanx1

Awww yiss!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv-cPGa9Zsg

Even though there have been 3rd party Porsche mods in Assetto Corsa for awhile now, its still great news to finally have official support.

They've also recently updated the game to support Oculus Rift CV1 officially. I was able to play around with it on my current rig and its probably the single most impressive virtual experiences I've ever been in. Nothing quite prepares you for the Nurburging in VR. The sense of presence in VR from this game is just incredible.

Oh wow. Excellent news. And with Porsche also in Forza it makes me wonder why Polyphony doesn't yet have Porsche in Gran Turismo.

can i get an opinion, currently have a 2013 hyundai elantra. looking to trade it in for a car less than 30,000 (after tax). any advice? looking for something fun to drive

Going to need more information about what you like and what your preferences are. 2 door? 4 door? How much space do you need? Can you drive a manual? How tolerant are you of occasional repair trips? There's a TON of great options out there right now in your budget but we will need more info to make solid recommendations for you.

Malvolio

Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the Focus but definitely needa drive them. Just wanted to scope out anything I might not be able to learn by just driving them!

I was in the same spot back in February. My buddy has a 2013 Cobb stage 2 FoST which I've always been impressed with. I test drove a 2016 FoST base which was nice but not as nice as the 2013 which had the Ricaros and Ford entertainment package. Then I drove the GTI and the choice for me was very clear. The refinement of the GTI felt like a whole class above the Ford. So solid and quiet. Of course, that matters to me. If you value performance and racecar feel, the ST is your car. However, the GTI really isn't lagging behind and with a tune and the Performance Pack I think it clearly pulls ahead.

From reading VW forums, the price of the GTI is falling fast. In fact, one poster grabbed a base model for just under 20K which is an insane value. Unfortunately, the PP is a hot commodity and they are less willing to discount. Either choice is a good one though as the GTI and FoST are really two of the best cars available under 30K.

At the Mazda dealer right now for an oil change and there's a couple of gorgeous Soul Red and Crystal White Miatae's in club trim chilling outside.

Thank god it's so fncking hot and humid right now, it's keeping me away from jumping in them to take home lol.

AlphaSnake

So I gotta say, I really like Jaguar's warranty process...

My XKR had some minor de-lamination on one of the headlights. Instead of stripping and re-laminating the headlight only for me to deal with this a few years later, they actually stripped both and applied Xpel Ultimate clear wrap on it (the same clear I have on my bumper and mirrors). Pretty cool stuff, I must say.

AlphaSnake

I can't believe how cheap you can grab a 986 Porsche Boxster these days. Tons of them under $12K, many are 6MTs too. A quick headlight and taillight upgrade and you're driving a solid below budget sports car. Curious how cheap 987s are getting, as well. I'd only wanna stick to the S models, though.

Evo X

So I went downtown today. Drove the Huracan. Didn't get to drive the 991 GT3RS, but did drive an Aventador Roadster!

Holy Shit, that noise. I need one in my life. Wow.

The Huracan was really well put together package. Easy to drive, nice interior, refined, smooth DCT transmission, responsive V10.

But the Aventador was on a whole another level. Insane looks and sounds. Just something out of this world and much more special feeling than the 458, 650S, R8, etc.

It's probably not any faster than the Huracan, has a jerky single clutch transmission, outdated tech, and costs nearly $200K more, but you don't care about any of that when you swing the doors upwards, hop in, and fire up that majestic V12. God Damn. There was instantly a crowd of 15 people taking pics and filming. It also had the race exhaust fitted which howled like a werewolf on meth when you got on it. For a weekend car, I don't think you can get more exotic than this unless you spend several times more on a 918, P1, Huayra, or LaFerrari.

DZa8k1f.jpg

F8ldJJ5.jpg

Evo X

I should stop coming to this thread. Here I was happy to have bought an Audi A5 sportback with an S line pack...

We all appreciate cars regardless of price point. I had a blast driving a friend's Abarth Fiat 500 recently. Post up pics when you take delivery.

Besides, those Lambos aren't mine. They belong to a guy I'm working on a project with. I was just happy to drive them.

Black should be removed as a color option for this car.

I prefer matte white myself. Think this one would be perfect with red interior.

eCQD3TS.jpg

matmanx1

So I went downtown today. Drove the Huracan. Didn't get to drive the 991 GT3RS, but did drive an Aventador Roadster!

Holy Shit, that noise. I need one in my life. Wow.

The Huracan was really well put together package. Easy to drive, nice interior, refined, smooth DCT transmission, responsive V10.

But the Aventador was on a whole another level. Insane looks and sounds. Just something out of this world and much more special feeling than the 458, 650S, R8, etc.

It's probably not any faster than the Huracan, has a jerky single clutch transmission, outdated tech, and costs nearly $200K more, but you don't care about any of that when you swing the doors upwards, hop in, and fire up that majestic V12. God Damn. There was instantly a crowd of 15 people taking pics and filming. It also had the race exhaust fitted which howled like a werewolf on meth when you got on it. For a weekend car, I don't think you can get more exotic than this unless you spend several times more on a 918, P1, Huayra, or LaFerrari.

DZa8k1f.jpg

F8ldJJ5.jpg

An Aventador is one of those "event" cars. It's more than just a vehicle, it is something that happens and you remember it because it is notable and remarkable. It's probably my favorite of the modern Lambo's for just that reason.

Lambos are special....Even though lambos aren't drivers car(except maybe the huracan) ...in terms of exotics, it gets out performed by Porsche, Ferrari and Mclaren's (except the huracan). Even none exotic like GT-R, vipers and corvette out performs it....But regardless, you get this aura of excitement when you drive one.

a GT-R destroys lambos in performance and far more comfortable....BUT just hearing the sound of the Lambos makes give me goosebumps..

Wow. Mazdas look so good in red.

Yup.

My Miata and the 'speed3 come in Velocity Red(only available on special edition Miatas, 'speeds and the RX-8) that they used before the Soul Red paint became the official color of Mazda.

Honestly, putting the Soul Red CX-5 next to either, and I really don't see a difference so I'm guessing Soul Red is just an evolution of Velocity Red.

What's your favorite color?

I bet it's green.

Funny enough, my favorite color is blue. But blue cars look like shit, the only exceptions are World Rally Blue Pearl, Bayside Blue, and Winning Blue of course.

Green is cool though, especially British Racing Green.

Yeah but what's his favorite car brand?

Lmao, there's 2 more Mazdas missing from this picture. I just didn't have them in coz they both aren't red lol.

Malvolio

Like this?

This was today after I spent an hour inside my boiling hot garage detailing my Miata.

Exactly like that! Anyone that's into cars should appreciate a clean Miata. Plus, the Speed3 has always been a favorite of mine. I would have seriously considered one if they made them in 3 door. I just can't handle having the B pillar block my peripheral vision. Can't argue with its performance though.

cube444

Test drove the Ram 2500 6.4L Gasser and the 6.7L Cummins.

800 lb-ft of torque.

EIGHT HUNDRED.

Found a good diesel tuner shop that's local as well. This is going to be a fun rabbit hole.

The interior is simply gorgeous. Definitely a much nicer place to be than the GM twins. The ride was much nicer than my Tundra as well, probably due to the rear coils.

I'm going to give the Titan XD a go today or tomorrow. If it blows away the Ram in overall input feel (steering/brakes/etc) I might go that route. It'll have to be significant to give up that power though.

Diesel torque is fun. I've got 550 lb-ft to the rear wheels and fully available at 1750 rpm.

Did you try out the Titan?

matmanx1

I can't believe how cheap you can grab a 986 Porsche Boxster these days. Tons of them under $12K, many are 6MTs too. A quick headlight and taillight upgrade and you're driving a solid below budget sports car. Curious how cheap 987s are getting, as well. I'd only wanna stick to the S models, though.

Looking for a convertible toy? In terms of performance per dollar, it would definitely be hard to top a 986 or early 987 Boxster. I think the 987's are still going for $20k + though in decent shape.

Like this?

This was today after I spent an hour inside my boiling hot garage detailing my Miata.

This reminds me of the famous quote by Henry Ford about the color of the Model T. Here it would be: You can have a Mazda any color you want so long as it's Red!

Seriously though, that's a good looking garage and driveway collection. I dig it.

AlphaSnake

Looking for a convertible toy? In terms of performance per dollar, it would definitely be hard to top a 986 or early 987 Boxster. I think the 987's are still going for $20k + though in decent shape.

Sort of. My wife wants an inexpensive stickshift that we can mod a little bit. Something small and nimble with good power. And no, not a Miata.

I may consider another Z, but it would be a 350Z...and I really hated the 350s clutch and transmission. So, meh.

Top Bottom