• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
The city of Beverly Hills holds a car show every Father's Day. Yesterday was blazing hot but I checked the show out for about an hour before it got too uncomfortable outside.

I took some pics but they're on film so probably no scans for a week or so.

The theme this year was "supercars" and it's pretty much what you'd expect.

Someone brought their full set of Ferraris - F40, F50, Enzo, FLF. All in red. Someone else brought a 288 GTO. And a Maserati MC-12. The Maser looks infinitely better than the Enzo.

There was a Mac P1 in raw carbon fiber and a P1 GTR.

On the Porsche end there was a blue Singer, a red 959, and a pearl white 918.

None of these cars look like they actually ever get driven which makes the entire thing pointless, but it was interesting to see them out on display.

The missus and daughters dragged me to the Griot's store for Father's Day and gifted me this:

abz71nA.jpg

I've never detailed a car before. Hell, until last year I was using drive-in car washes half of the time, not realizing (or caring about) the damage it was doing to the paint.

Yesterday I've managed to successfully clay the entire car and ran the orbital + correcting compound on the roof, which got rid of all but a few deeper scratches. It looks better than it did the day I brought it home, and I'll be finishing up with a polish later this week.

Ovid

Sort of. My wife wants an inexpensive stickshift that we can mod a little bit. Something small and nimble with good power. And no, not a Miata.

I may consider another Z, but it would be a 350Z...and I really hated the 350s clutch and transmission. So, meh.
For some reason I remember you having one in a plum/purple color.

Am I making that up?

I was in the same spot back in February. My buddy has a 2013 Cobb stage 2 FoST which I've always been impressed with. I test drove a 2016 FoST base which was nice but not as nice as the 2013 which had the Ricaros and Ford entertainment package. Then I drove the GTI and the choice for me was very clear. The refinement of the GTI felt like a whole class above the Ford. So solid and quiet. Of course, that matters to me. If you value performance and racecar feel, the ST is your car. However, the GTI really isn't lagging behind and with a tune and the Performance Pack I think it clearly pulls ahead.

From reading VW forums, the price of the GTI is falling fast. In fact, one poster grabbed a base model for just under 20K which is an insane value. Unfortunately, the PP is a hot commodity and they are less willing to discount. Either choice is a good one though as the GTI and FoST are really two of the best cars available under 30K.

Thanks for bringing the GTI back in to the fold! I'll see if any dealer even let's me touch one ha

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
For some reason I remember you having one in a plum/purple color.

Am I making that up?

I had a 370Z in Black Cherry, which had a much more livable 6MT. And my 350Z in Daytona Blue was an automatic as a result of how much I disliked its manual. Believe that.

No Love

Banned
Yeah, that's it.

I remember that.

Sort of. My wife wants an inexpensive stickshift that we can mod a little bit. Something small and nimble with good power. And no, not a Miata.

I may consider another Z, but it would be a 350Z...and I really hated the 350s clutch and transmission. So, meh.

S2000. Greatest shifter ever, way more power than a Miata, looks great, drives amazing, resale value is going up.

AlphaSnake

S2000. Greatest shifter ever, way more power than a Miata, looks great, drives amazing, resale value is going up.

Yeah, drove an S2K a number of times. Always loved the transmission. But they're getting out of price range.

Eh, we'll see. This is just an idea, nothing I'm going to do in the near future.

Evo X

A reminder for how brutal racing can be.

Porsche won the 24hr of Le Mans for the 18th time yesterday, but it feels hollow this time.

Toyota was leading for 23 hours and 57 minutes until they had an issue with their car that reduced power, which allowed Porsche to close the 50 second lead and win by the slimmest of margins.

Head of Porsche walked over to the Toyota paddocks after the race to tell them how much he respects them as a rival and that he didn't really feel all that great winning under those circumstances.

Sucks for Toyota, but that's just how racing is. Let's all take this moment to remember a quote by the wise Dominic Toretto. "It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning." I am no engineer, but I assume Toyota must have had a Danger to Manifold because they used all their NOS too soon.

The thing is, any car that already looks good to begin with will probably look good no matter what color it's in.

But in general though, blue just doesn't match most cars. They have to be designed to be good looking without paint or the paint itself needs some kind of special property to complement the car otherwise it's detrimental to it's looks.

I think the most recent example I can think of the newest Ford GT. I'm not really sold on it's looks(it looks like one of the pigs from Angry Birds), but it looks damn good in that shade of blue they're using. On the other hand, it's totally opposite on the Focus RS. I love love love it's boy racer design, and that Nitrous Blue paint is seriously gorgeous.

mkenyon

Banned
Diesel torque is fun. I've got 550 lb-ft to the rear wheels and fully available at 1750 rpm.

Did you try out the Titan?
Nah, I have not yet. The discounts on the 2500s here are almost too good to pass up. Working a 2016 Laramie, black w/ sport appearance group, cold weather and some other packages for $51,000. A Titan, the way I'd want it, would be almost the same price.

I might go take one for a spin tomorrow though.

I did go and take out the Duramax 2500HD and then the 2500 out back to back. The 2500 definitely feels a lot more like a driver's truck. All of the inputs (steering/brake/gas) felt like actual mechanical things that you were giving direction to, which is hugely important to me. The Chevy felt like I was driving a cloud that was taking my inputs and figuring stuff out for me. Super fucking boring, and the light steering felt worse than my Tundra's, which is already awful. I have no idea why people enjoy driving the Chevy.
Yeah, drove an S2K a number of times. Always loved the transmission. But they're getting out of price range.

Eh, we'll see. This is just an idea, nothing I'm going to do in the near future.
I'm in the same boat as you. Need a second car with a great MT below $20k, except I need a back seat.

Still looking at the Mazdaspeed 6, but I hate the idea of buying something sight unseen.

The Focus ST is dropping in price quickly, looking at low mileage ones.

Evo X

The thing is, any car that already looks good to begin with will probably look good no matter what color it's in.

But in general though, blue just doesn't match most cars. They have to be designed to be good looking without paint or the paint itself needs some kind of special property to complement the car otherwise it's detrimental to it's looks.

I think the most recent example I can think of the newest Ford GT. I'm not really sold on it's looks(it looks like one of the pigs from Angry Birds), but it looks damn good in that shade of blue they're using. On the other hand, it's totally opposite on the Focus RS. I love love love it's boy racer design, and that Nitrous Blue paint is seriously gorgeous.

I loved my Electric Blue Evo 9 and Midnight Blue Boxster S.

Fight me jong!

Blue is hot as fuck. You're nuts.

This is why we are bros.

Nah, I have not yet. The discounts on the 2500s here are almost too good to pass up. Working a 2016 Laramie, black w/ sport appearance group, cold weather and some other packages for $51,000. A Titan, the way I'd want it, would be almost the same price.

I might go take one for a spin tomorrow though.

I don't know shit about trucks, but I'd rock a Ford Raptor. :D

I'm in the same boat as you. Need a second car with a great MT below $20k, except I need a back seat.

E46 M3?

You got 1, one picture before your wish shattered into pieces. LOL

LMAO. Sorry.

Malvolio

Love blue. Would have preferred my GTI in blue, but dealer wanted $500 to go get one for me. Figured I liked black enough to save the cash. Plus, I've had blue. This is my first black.

You got 1, one picture before your wish shattered into pieces. Blue belongs on a Subaru LOL

Hold up... are you saying this isn't beautiful??

I honestly wouldn't touch any Subaru without World Rally Blue paint. It's like one of the only constants in the world, a WRX/STI or BRZ in WRB(and preferably gold wheels) means that all is right in the world.

I loved my Electric Blue Evo 9 and Midnight Blue Boxster S.

Fight me jong!

Again, they're already good looking cars to begin with. You could drop puke orange on it and it'll still look good lol.

Anyway, it's interesting to see that a lot of y'all like blue cars. I feel like I never really see many on the road nor do the current car makers sell blue these days. I know in regards to Mazda they have a shade of blue for their new cars and Ford as mentioned before.

Quick

Banned
Speaking of blue cars, I'd be buying one of these in a heartbeat if it weren't for the aforementioned truck.

Dat Focus RS. I could afford the bi-weekly payment based on the calculations I was doing on Ford's website, but shiiiit, I don't want to shoot myself in the knee in case I lose my job or something.

The last few posts have really sold me on blue cars. I never hated on them, but I was really set on red or a darker colour.

SummitAve

Banned
After having storm related power issues all weekend in the house I got to wake up Monday morning to a dead battery in the Miata! 99.9% sure nothing was left on overnight. Not even an accidental open trunk from the keys getting pressed in my pocket. Only thing out of the ordinary is was an iPhone charger left plugged into the cig lighter which is usually stashed away. Battery was dated 9/11 so it could have just been a failure too...

I was able to jump it and take it around the block, electronics were going CRAZY gauges all over the place, and I ended up killing it backing into the driveway. Tried to jump it again, but nothing. Stuck, sweaty, and already way late for work I dropped my gf off at work and drove her car up to the auto parts store, threw a new battery in, and it fired back up with authority! Got a good reading of 13.5v or so under load so it seems like I'm charging, and it wasn't the alternator. Got it parked now waiting to see if there is a parasitic drain waiting to greet me in the morning...

boltz

Like this?

This was today after I spent an hour inside my boiling hot garage detailing my Miata.

Beautiful cars man - soul red is probably my favorite version of red on cars.

As far as the Focus RS goes, my buddy called a few dealerships around OC and they all were tacking on a $10k markup! >$46k for that car is insane!

Porsche won the 24hr of Le Mans for the 18th time yesterday, but it feels hollow this time.

Toyota was leading for 23 hours and 57 minutes until they had an issue with their car that reduced power, which allowed Porsche to close the 50 second lead and win by the slimmest of margins.

Head of Porsche walked over to the Toyota paddocks after the race to tell them how much he respects them as a rival and that he didn't really feel all that great winning under those circumstances.

Sucks for Toyota, but that's just how racing is. Let's all take this moment to remember a quote by the wise Dominic Toretto. "It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning." I am no engineer, but I assume Toyota must have had a Danger to Manifold because they used all their NOS too soon.

Yeah, pretty incredible, I was there this weekend.

Toyota was leading for 23 hours and 57 minutes until they had an issue with their car that reduced power, which allowed Porsche to close the 50 second lead and win by the slimmest of margins...

That was so heartbreaking. At least they'll be back, and even if they didn't win I'm sure everyone on the team is proud of how well they did.

matmanx1

Hey, I didn't even mention Miata! =) Although Miata's do take awfully well to modifications. Having driven an NA with the Flyin Miata turbo upgrade I can tell you that those things are crazy fun.

The missus and daughters dragged me to the Griot's store for Father's Day and gifted me this:

abz71nA.jpg

I've never detailed a car before. Hell, until last year I was using drive-in car washes half of the time, not realizing (or caring about) the damage it was doing to the paint.

Yesterday I've managed to successfully clay the entire car and ran the orbital + correcting compound on the roof, which got rid of all but a few deeper scratches. It looks better than it did the day I brought it home, and I'll be finishing up with a polish later this week.

Nice! That's actually a really great "upgrade" to your current vehicle. Being able to properly clean and detail your own car improves its looks and your knowledge about the car's exterior.

Edit- Blue cars are awesome! There are a lot of gorgeous shades of blue out there right now. I actually prefer it to black, most of the time and depending on the shade.

I honestly wouldn't touch any Subaru without World Rally Blue paint. It's like one of the only constants in the world, a WRX/STI or BRZ in WRB(and preferably gold wheels) means that all is right in the world.

Subaru screwed up WRB for 2015. The new one (07X) is slightly darker than the old one (02B). I miss the old one :(

attachment.php

(picture shamelessly stolen from this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68049 . Old WRB on the right)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Oh shit.

Been emailing dealers for the last two weeks, and I think I may be custom-ordering a 2016 Challenger this week.

Fortunately I have three Chrysler dealers within about 20 miles here, and even more within 100; so there's some decent competition.

Currently looking at:

2016 Challenger Scat Pack w/ 6.4L V8
Manual
Leather Group
Sound Group II
Technology Group
Forged Black Wheels

MSRP is $45,000

Gonna get a 36 month lease. 15K miles/yr. $0 down. Payments under $500/month.

Lady I've been working with says she can probably make it work if I'm okay having a delayed delivery date due to some allocation issues being sorted out. Pretty happy with that. The $0 down is the kicker. Pretty much driving my dream car for a $150 more a month than I was paying on my Jeep Liberty, lol.

dalin80

Banned
Keeping blue cars clean is a complete pain in the balls though, a single spot of rain and it immediately looks like you have been doing the rally of Wales.

matmanx1

Oh shit.

Been emailing dealers for the last two weeks, and I think I may be custom-ordering a 2016 Challenger this week.

Fortunately I have three Chrysler dealers within about 20 miles here, and even more within 100; so there's some decent competition.

Currently looking at:

Manual
Leather Group
Sound Group II
Technology Group
Forged Black Wheels

MSRP is $45,000

Lady I've been working with says she can probably make it work if I'm okay having a delayed delivery date due to some allocation issues being sorted out. Pretty happy with that. The $0 down is the kicker. Pretty much driving my dream car for a $150 more a month than I was paying on my Jeep Liberty, lol.

Niiiiice! That wait is going to be tough though, right?

Keeping blue cars clean is a complete pain in the balls though, a single spot of rain and it immediately looks like you have been doing the rally of Wales.

Truth.

matmanx1

Having a slow afternoon at work today so I randomly pulled up Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube. I haven't watched them all but this one caught my eye. Warning: The sound this vehicle makes might induce uncontrollable giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbfzmPCYX4

The summary is this: Guy buys an old 1964 Honda S600 shell and stuffs a 1000cc Honda sportbike motor in it complete with sequential transmission + nitrous. The looks on Jay Leno and the owner's faces as they are driving it pretty much say it all. And the kicker is, the whole project cost less than 10 grand.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh shit.

Currently looking at:

Manual
Leather Group
Sound Group II
Technology Group
Forged Black Wheels

MSRP is $45,000

Grats! It's the car you wanted. That's fucking awesome.

AlphaSnake

Oh shit.

Currently looking at:

Manual
Leather Group
Sound Group II
Technology Group
Forged Black Wheels

MSRP is $45,000

Very happy to hear!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Niiiiice! That wait is going to be tough though, right?

Truth.

Grats! It's the car you wanted. That's fucking awesome.

Very happy to hear!

Thank you, all! :)

I don't want to get ahead of myself or too attached. Nothing is finalized yet; and call me a cynic, but I don't really trust the dealers until papers are signed and the keys are in my hands. Still a lot of work and verification to do before I'm at that point; but this is the most "real" my hunt has felt over the last year... and it's nice to know the numbers I had in my head are achievable and/or worth reaching for.

Now the ultimate question... color:

I'm between these three (I won't have the 392 SRT):

Go Mango

B5 Blue

Or Redline Red

mkenyon

Banned
Mango, ez.

Though, if you get a chance, check out Maximum Steel in person. Should be on all sorts of Doge/RAM vehicles. I also like Granite Crystal Metallic for a more subtle look.

But Orange and Green are the GOAT Mopar colors.

-

Go Mango

B5 Blue

Or Redline Red

Congrats man!

Just don't get the blue lol.

That's actually one of the cars that I dislike in blue because the Challenger is a badass car and the blue paint makes it seem like a wimpy car.

That said, I can't decide between Mango and Red either. I obviously love Red cars but that Mango/Orange looks amazing as well so I honestly don't know. That's a tough decision, but it's not a bad thing at all haha.

Quick

Banned
Had a mechanic take a quick check on my car after hearing some squeaking noises when I hit uneven roads or any small potholes, and he mentioned an issue with my shocks. I figured it would be a suspension issue, so I seem to be right on the mark.

He didn't give me much detail, but he's taking a closer look tomorrow. I'm hoping it really just needs to be lubricated or something.

ascii42

Oh shit.

Currently looking at:

Manual
Leather Group
Sound Group II
Technology Group
Forged Black Wheels

MSRP is $45,000

That's going to be awesome. The wait sucks, but having a custom ordered car is so great. Hopefully there aren't additional delays past the allocation issue. Sometimes certain options can cause delays. I was worried about that ordering an ATS with a manual transmission, but was lucky. Only took 5 weeks from when the dealer put in the order.

Oxn

Thank you, all! :)

I don't want to get ahead of myself or too attached. Nothing is finalized yet; and call me a cynic, but I don't really trust the dealers until papers are signed and the keys are in my hands. Still a lot of work and verification to do before I'm at that point; but this is the most "real" my hunt has felt over the last year... and it's nice to know the numbers I had in my head are achievable and/or worth reaching for.

Go Mango

B5 Blue

Or Redline Red
The Mango color looks rediculously good.

You'll be a fool to go with any other color. And white cars are my favorite.

Top Bottom