• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

DarkestHour

Banned
Had a mechanic take a quick check on my car after hearing some squeaking noises when I hit uneven roads or any small potholes, and he mentioned an issue with my shocks. I figured it would be a suspension issue, so I seem to be right on the mark.

He didn't give me much detail, but he's taking a closer look tomorrow. I'm hoping it really just needs to be lubricated or something.

That or it could be bad swaybar bushings. Had this issue on a previous car where the mechanic didnt even try to troubleshoot and instead just gave me all new struts and shocks. That was nice of him, but I had to come back and have him fix the real issue which was the swaybar.

Had a mechanic take a quick check on my car after hearing some squeaking noises when I hit uneven roads or any small potholes, and he mentioned an issue with my shocks. I figured it would be a suspension issue, so I seem to be right on the mark.

He didn't give me much detail, but he's taking a closer look tomorrow. I'm hoping it really just needs to be lubricated or something.
Stuff like this varies from car to car. Squeak means metal on metal, though, which doesn't say shock to me. Could be yours are out but likely something else as well.

Quick

Banned
That or it could be bad swaybar bushings. Had this issue on a previous car where the mechanic didnt even try to troubleshoot and instead just gave me all new struts and shocks. That was nice of him, but I had to come back and have him fix the real issue which was the swaybar.

Yeah, the mechanic basically took my car for a drive for about 5 minutes and came back and told me it sounded like the shocks. He couldn't give me much more than that until I'm assuming he gets a closer look at it tomorrow morning.

Stuff like this varies from car to car. Squeak means metal on metal, though, which doesn't say shock to me. Could be yours are out but likely something else as well.

I figured as much, and it hasn't been a major issue in terms of driving, but the squeaking was getting on my nerves, and I'm going on a long drive this weekend. The car is fine on highways, since they're mostly smooth roads, but the slightest bit of uneven landscape gets it squeaking.

That being said, I'm back on the hunt for a new car. I posted here a few months ago about my search, but I think I've narrowed it down to a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus. I really want the Focus RS, but the Mazda 3 is pretty damn affordable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
car help, if anyone sees this thread: i've noticed a puddle forming under my car while it's parked overnight for the past week, at first i thought it was just the rain but we've had some sunny days so i got worried and checked it out and it looks like my car is leaking transmission fluid - how fucked am I? i checked the fluid level and it looks like it's still in the ok range but I don't wanna wreck my car - it is still under warranty (but i got the car used) so is it worth skipping work tomorrow to go get it to a mechanic, or can i do my daily commute still and check in with him on the way home? should i drive at all or just get a tow truck to come? help!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I'm going to go with...end links. If your car rides fine and doesn't feel harsh, I doubt it's the struts. Bad struts also leak fluids.

car help, if anyone sees this thread: i've noticed a puddle forming under my car while it's parked overnight for the past week, at first i thought it was just the rain but we've had some sunny days so i got worried and checked it out and it looks like my car is leaking transmission fluid - how fucked am I? i checked the fluid level and it looks like it's still in the ok range but I don't wanna wreck my car - it is still under warranty (but i got the car used) so is it worth skipping work tomorrow to go get it to a mechanic, or can i do my daily commute still and check in with him on the way home? should i drive at all or just get a tow truck to come? help!

What kind of car? If you have a warranty, you don't take it to a mechanic. You should take it to dealership's service center. If your car says there's plenty of fluid, there probably is. I test drove an M3 a few times that was leaking fluid (many of them do) and it drove just fine.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm going to go with...end links. If your car rides fine and doesn't feel harsh, I doubt it's the struts. Bad struts also leak fluids.

What kind of car? If you have a warranty, you don't take it to a mechanic. You should take it to dealership's service center. If your car says there's plenty of fluid, there probably is. I test drove an M3 a few times that was leaking fluid (many of them do) and it drove just fine.

sorry, the dealer *is* a mechanic by trade as well - I'll double check the fluid tomorrow morning - since it's still under warranty i'll go by him anyway and get some reassurance at least

the car is a 2004 hyundai elantra

Subaru screwed up WRB for 2015. The new one (07X) is slightly darker than the old one (02B). I miss the old one :(

attachment.php

(picture shamelessly stolen from this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68049 . Old WRB on the right)

Missed this since somebody posed a difficult question lol.

Anyway, that's really interesting. And reading up on that forum thread it seems like Subaru had good intentions(to keep the paint lasting longer) so I'm guessing the darker shade is a side effect of the new paint/process.

That said though, I can barely see a difference... LOL. My monitor is running at full SRGB and even with f.lux off, it seems like it's such a minor difference that I have to look really hard to see it haha.

Yup.

Funny story, so for the past few months or so I've been wondering why there's a loud ass clank in the rear passenger side of my Miata. I thought it's just my stiff ass suspension crashing on the bump stops(as they're supposed to anyway), but I don't hear it on the rear drivers side. Then today I was stiffening up my shocks a little bit so I had to pull out the plastic covering inside my trunk... right then and there I see the culprit. It was my damn scissor jack that got a little bit loose.

Now I'm debating on taking it out since I don't or rather can't carry a spare tire lol.

Evo X

J.D Power just sent me a long online survey about my car. Felt kinda bad that I had to rate it lower for some things like luxury amenities and tech features even though my inner fanboy wanted to give everything a 10. lol

J.D Power just sent me a long online survey about my car. Felt kinda bad that I had to rate it lower for some things like luxury amenities and tech features even though my inner fanboy wanted to give everything a 10. lol

Why though?

You know anything other than a perfect score has no meaning in these surveys, right? Like if there's a choice between a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being the best, a 4 is no better than a 1.

Not that I'm telling you how to fill out the survey, just that most of the choices are completely meaningless in these things. It's all or nothing.

AlphaSnake

Why though?

You know anything other than a perfect score has no meaning in these surveys, right? Like if there's a choice between a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being the best, a 4 is no better than a 1.

Not that I'm telling you how to fill out the survey, just that most of the choices are completely meaningless in these things. It's all or nothing.

That's for dealer surveys. JD Power doesn't operate that way. It's an industry wide survey.

I got one yesterday too...and got a crisp dollar bill inside of it. LOL

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
AutoGAF is unanimous on this one. You only have one option.

Yep, the people have spoken. Mango it is! I'm hopeful I'll get an update from the dealer sometime today - she still hasn't presented final numbers, other than "yeah, we can make that work." I listed out all the exact items I wanted - I skipped the sunroof since I'm tall, and skipped the driver's convenience package because I don't really need it. Skipped the "Scat Pack" appearance package because it's basically emblems on the seat.

In other perfectly timed news; went to start my Jeep this morning and it's dead as a door nail. Nothing. Not even locks. Hopefully just a fried battery - I'm due, it's got the same battery it was built with. I'll probably just grab one on my way home today and hope for the best. But man, talk about timing.

SummitAve

Banned
In other perfectly timed news; went to start my Jeep this morning and it's dead as a door nail. Nothing. Not even locks. Hopefully just a fried battery - I'm due, it's got the same battery it was built with. I'll probably just grab one on my way home today and hope for the best. But man, talk about timing.

I hear your pain, just went through this as described on the previous page. Sometimes batteries just fail, especially in the warmer summer weather, it's tough on them. I don't think I had any signs that my battery was failing either. Happened after a day of driving with the AC cranked. Got a new one in there, and haven't had a problem the last couple days, but it makes ya a little uneasy still.

what kind of car noise do you guys prefer?

High pitch F1 sound

Deep rumble tone

pop crackle pop

gargle of a boxer engine.

silent whine pitch

back fire with flames

turbo hiss

AlphaSnake

what kind of exhaust note do you guys prefer?

High pitch F1 sound

Deep rumble tone

pop crackle pop

silent whine

In a V8 mix of rumble + popping when the revs wind down. Basically my XKR or F-Type. LOL. We all know how that sounds. No video needed.

In a V10 high pitch + popping. Basically, an E60 M5 without the muffler or a Hurracan.

Example of the M5 (that is me shooting it and my dumbass friend acting a fool). That is also the alley way of where I grew up in Queens. My garage was three doors down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VlKYoMDOw&ab_channel=V10symphony

This, but only with a proper exhaust. The stock 86 exhaust sounds hideous and the WRX' isn't much better.

Yeah, I like the sound of my 986 while in the car, but that's engine sound, not exhaust. Other than that it's not very impressive. Kind of hesitant to buy a pipe as I'm using the car a lot and I'm afraid to ruin its touring capabilities by making it too loud.

/edit: but you mean the other 86 of course :p

Quick

Banned
Mechanic tells me my suspension issue has something to do with a set of parts wearing out (couldn't hear which one specifically), and I'll need to have it replaced for $400 CAD parts + labour.

For now, he sprayed some WD-40 on it and said it should be okay until I bring it back to him after next week, sine he'd have to order the parts and the long weekend is coming up next week.

back fire with flames

Mixed together with the aggressive rasp of an unmuffled (or lightly muffled) 6 or 12 on an even firing order. I much prefer the race style equal length headers on 911s than the standard unequals.

The GT350 has one of my favorite exhaust noises of all time.

For me the new 350R sounds painfully fake. It sounds like someone took the natural sound of the flat-plane V8 and tried to make it sound like a cross-plane that revs higher. And the way they tuned the exhaust, it sounds like it's behind a wall or something. It's hard to explain but I'm waiting for the aftermarket to put out new exhausts that unleash the natural sound of that engine. I think when that happens people will be disappointed with its as-sold sound.

Smokey

So there was a news report about Jeeps and Dodges being stolen in Houston. One was caught on camera by a home surveillance system . Two guys. One lifts the hood and looks like he cuts the alarm, and the other has a computer. Unlocks the door and you can see him with the computer up in the car. Few moments later they drive off.

WTF software is this

AlphaSnake

Mechanic tells me my suspension issue has something to do with a set of parts wearing out (couldn't hear which one specifically), and I'll need to have it replaced for $400 CAD parts + labour.

For now, he sprayed some WD-40 on it and said it should be okay until I bring it back to him after next week, sine he'd have to order the parts and the long weekend is coming up next week.

Your mechanic is a dummy...WD-40? Is that what he really sprayed? WD-40 is a degreaser. Mechanical parts NEED grease. Degreasers don't lubricate, they break down grease and it starts to drip away. What he should've used was a silicone lubricant, which ironically enough the WD brand makes, as well. WD-40 oil is only going to make things worse in a few days.

AlphaSnake

So there was a news report about Jeeps and Dodges being stolen in Houston. One was caught on camera by a home surveillance system . Two guys. One lifts the hood and looks like he cuts the alarm, and the other has a computer. Unlocks the door and you can see him with the computer up in the car. Few moments later they drive off.

WTF software is this

OEM software most likely hacked and modified to work on any laptop. When you lose your keys and the dealer has to grab and program you a pair of new keyfobs and keys, this is what they use.

These guys basically walked up to the car, copied the signal it needs to unlock and start, and bai.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they knew someone working at a dealer.

Your mechanic is a dummy...WD-40? Is that what he really sprayed? WD-40 is a degreaser. Mechanical parts NEED grease. Degreasers don't lubricate, they break down grease and it starts to drip away. What he should've used was a silicone lubricant, which ironically enough the WD brand makes, as well. WD-40 oil is only going to make things worse in a few days.

I hope the guy just tells people WD-40 when he really means dry moly or silicone because your average layman thinks WD-40 is a lubricant and they've never heard of anything else.

Quick

Banned

I had a contained "eughhhhhh" when he told me this. This was exactly what I wanted to avoid doing, but I really should've clarified it.

I hope the guy just tells people WD-40 when he really means dry moly or silicone because your average layman thinks WD-40 is a lubricant and they've never heard of anything else.

This is what I'm hoping since I do notice some people do refer as WD-40 as a catch-all name, like Klenex for tissues.

I'll check up on this in a bit.

Edit: Just called again to clarify and he did indeed spray WD-40 exactly.

In a V8 mix of rumble + popping when the revs wind down. Basically my XKR or F-Type. LOL. We all know how that sounds. No video needed.

In a V10 high pitch + popping. Basically, an E60 M5 without the muffler or a Hurracan.

Example of the M5 (that is me shooting it and my dumbass friend acting a fool). That is also the alley way of where I grew up in Queens. My garage was three doors down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VlKYoMDOw&ab_channel=V10symphony

WOW...at your friend....

Is it me or that M5 has alot of droning?

what kind of car noise do you guys prefer?

High pitch F1 sound

Deep rumble tone

pop crackle pop

silent whine pitch

back fire with flames

turbo hiss

That's a hard question imo.

I love love love the sound of the 90's to early 2000's F1 engines, I'm also a huge sucker for that deep bassy rumbles, and I really love how my Miata pops, crackles, and backfires(no flames tho).

That said, I think I'll take a proper American V8. Not only does it sound badass, it also gives me a freedom boner and I become all patriotic right after haha.

I love love love the sound of the 90's to early 2000's F1 engines, I'm also a huge sucker for that deep bassy rumbles, and I really love how my Miata pops, crackles, and backfires(no flames tho).

That said, I think I'll take a proper American V8. Not only does it sound badass, it also gives me a freedom boner and I become all patriotic right after haha.

I like the V8s sometimes, but nine times out of ten when you hear a V8 roaring down the street you turn to look and see a...beat to shit truck. So now when I think of V8s that's always the first thing I think of.

Now there was a guy who went to the same track as I did with what was basically a Corvette C5R. Now that's a proper V8. It made such a riot pulling down the back straight.

AlphaSnake

WOW...at your friend....

Is it me or that M5 has alot of droning?

You'd be amazed...it has NO cabin drone at all. We drove the car hundreds and hundreds of miles until I flew back to FL and it wasn't the least bit bothersome. And the way it popped and cracked was just blissful.

Mixed together with the aggressive rasp of an unmuffled (or lightly muffled) 6 or 12 on an even firing order. I much prefer the race style equal length headers on 911s than the standard unequals.

For me the new 350R sounds painfully fake. It sounds like someone took the natural sound of the flat-plane V8 and tried to make it sound like a cross-plane that revs higher. And the way they tuned the exhaust, it sounds like it's behind a wall or something. It's hard to explain but I'm waiting for the aftermarket to put out new exhausts that unleash the natural sound of that engine. I think when that happens people will be disappointed with its as-sold sound.

The thing this with flame is that if you want them, you will need to delete your cat. Which makes it too loud especially during cold start.

And I agree with fake artificial sound...but it seem like it will be a norm.

F1 high pitch is hard to replicate...there is a smooth mid high pitch like a Tubi exhaust or some exhaust that are really high pitch but really raspy...

American V8 sometimes sound good, but some are just nasty sounding.

My fave is the R8 v8, it's like quiet and loud at the same time, its hard to describe...it had this high mid tone without harsh droning.

Evo X

I really like all kinds of car noises. It's hard to choose a favorite.

For the longest time, it was high revving V10s like LFA, Carrera GT, and Gallardo.

With some recent experience, I really like V12s like Aventador and F12 as well.

Maybe a little biased, but I love the flat 6 noise from GT3 and GT4 as well.

I was also about to purchase an XKR, then later an F-Type V8 a few years ago based solely on the sound they made. lol

Think if I had to choose a single car for best sounding, it would probably be the Zonda Cinque Roadster. Although, funny enough, if you put equal length headers on a W220 Mercedes S600, it sounds very similar. lol

AlphaSnake

I saw a red Ferrari F12TDF just now.

You wanna talk about sound? That car takes the cake and the whole fucking bakery. He was pushing it hard as fuck. He blew by me 120+. When I got near him approaching a red, it turned green before I could get close enough and he was goooooone again.

The sound sent shivers up and down my spine. It was just insane.

It looked identical to this:

481cbf1fb3ce3d425d6cbd8a9fdd8ff0.jpg

AlphaSnake

Nice, which car of yours were you in?

The XKR. But I was on my way home and he was going so damn fast I didn't wanna bother chasing him after he took off from the light. I was about 100-150ft behind him approaching the light he was at...which is precisely when it turned green. I had to make a u-turn at the next intersection to go home, so I didn't go after him. But it was quite a sight.

Admittedly, when I saw it approaching me from the rear view mirror, I was thinking to myself "wow, that Corvette is bookin it!....Wait that's not a-" *WOOSH! Baaaaaaaaaw brraap BAAAAAAWW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wFMxYbDug&ab_channel=Supercarsfromeu

1:30 mark...

FStop7

Banned
Favorite sound is the current gen Ferrari V12 - F12/TDF/FLF all sound ridiculously good.

Before that probably the Ferrari V8 before they switched from timing belts to chains. So the F355/360/Challenge Stradale.

Before that the Mezger 3.6L Porsche engine used in the the 996 and 997 GT3.

And I'm also kind of biased toward the BMW S85 V10

I like the V8s sometimes, but nine times out of ten when you hear a V8 roaring down the street you turn to look and see a...beat to shit truck. So now when I think of V8s that's always the first thing I think of.

Now there was a guy who went to the same track as I did with what was basically a Corvette C5R. Now that's a proper V8. It made such a riot pulling down the back straight.

Yeah, I get that.

Specifically speaking, I really like the Challenger's V8. I think it sounds great stock, and even better with a few mods. Whereas the Camaro and Mustangs, there's a lot of mods involved just to give it that thunderous roar. And now that I think about it, I feel like I see/hear more proper sounding Mustang's than Camaro's.

F1 high pitch is hard to replicate...there is a smooth mid high pitch like a Tubi exhaust or some exhaust that are really high pitch but really raspy...

American V8 sometimes sound good, but some are just nasty sounding.

My fave is the R8 v8, it's like quiet and loud at the same time, its hard to describe...it had this high mid tone without harsh droning.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard a street legal car that has the sound of a classic F1 engine. The closest I've heard are those 6-rotor rotary engines.

Speaking of which, I totally forgot about how awesome the Mazda 787B sounded which also leads me to the 13B-REW in the FD RX-7. It's not necessarily the best sounding car, especially stock... but with a few mods, you can get it similar to the 787B.

But even with my rotary fanboyism, I'd still probably choose the V8 in terms of sound. Something about V8's just says "I'm here to fnck your shit up and steal yo girl" lol.

Anion

Well some idiot nearly took out my front bumper by reversing down the street...
I pulled up behind him on a classic 2 way (single road each way) street as he was talking to an officer in a police Explorer (who faced the opposite direction). Dude just slams his petal in reverse, probably thinking no one was behind him. I smash my horn. And when I mean smash, I thought I would have busted my steering wheel. Literally stopped 5 inches from my bumper.

Nearly cried since I haven't even had 3k miles on her yet. Car is as red as you can get too! Dude must not have even cared to look back.

And the police saw this whole thing go down too. Wtf was wrong with this dude.

Sorry for the venting lol

burgerdog

The XKR. But I was on my way home and he was going so damn fast I didn't wanna bother chasing him after he took off from the light. I was about 100-150ft behind him approaching the light he was at...which is precisely when it turned green. I had to make a u-turn at the next intersection to go home, so I didn't go after him. But it was quite a sight.

Admittedly, when I saw it approaching me from the rear view mirror, I was thinking to myself "wow, that Corvette is bookin it!....Wait that's not a-" *WOOSH! Baaaaaaaaaw brraap BAAAAAAWW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wFMxYbDug&ab_channel=Supercarsfromeu

1:30 mark...

Easily the best sounding car on the road right now. That exhaust is pure sex.

Top Bottom