• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I saw that colour on a TT in the showroom when I was visiting the dealer and instantly fell in love with it. It's a Pearlescent colour, Daytona Grey.

I feel like Daytona Grey has been around for quite a while now.

Back in the day there was also Dolphin Grey, which looked about the same. It was a stunning shade. I love greys. :)

Evo X

Drove a Smart car for the first time today. Good lord, what a terrible experience. I was physically ill afterwards from the jerky transmission and bumpy suspension.

Who the hell would buy this over a slightly used Mini, Golf, or Fiat 500 Abarth?

Also, saw a 718 in the flesh for the first time. Looks better than the pictures. Still not sold on the new front end with the headlights integrated into the body work, but the 4 point led tails, and wider body/intakes look sick. They also had one that was debadged instead of that giant PORSCHE billboard in the back and it looked 10x better. Cars were parked inside so unfortunately I couldn't start it up to hear the new 4 banger with sports exhaust. But they are inviting current Porsche owners to a track event nearby featuring factory 718S Boxsters and Caymans soon. Might go.

Picked up my TT today!

Congrats! Looks fantastic. Enjoy in good health.

I feel like Daytona Grey has been around for quite a while now.

Back in the day there was also Dolphin Grey, which looked about the same. It was a stunning shade. I love greys. :)

What do you think of Nardo Grey and Suzuka Grey?

Ace 8095

This week I test drove a 2014 IS350 (out of my price range), 2014 Q50, 2013 328i, and a 2013 ATS 3.6L. The ATS was by far the most fun to drive, most optioned out, and the cheapest. Anyone else driven the ATS 3.6? Am I crazy for considering a Cadillac?

boltz

Does anyone have much experience with the Mercedes GLK? My better half has recently become enamored with them and says she'd rather have one over the XC60. We are going to test drive one pretty soon and I've read up but always interested in hearing more opinions. Most likely would be getting the 350 4matic with lighting package. Really like the fuel economy of the diesel but there are tons of those 3.5 engines out there.

Rode in the back of one during a test drive - make sure to check it out as it is tighter than you would expect. The hatch area is also tighter than its competitors.

Welp, my plans of ordering my Challenger have been temporarily dashed :(

Bummer. But good thing is that you have the ability to walk away!

burgerdog

What do you think of Nardo Grey and Suzuka Grey?

It pisses me off that Suzuka Grey isn't available on the S5. A5 and RS5 only. Sometimes I feel like trading in my S for a Suzuka Grey RS5, it feels bad, man.

I've been keeping an eye on used RS5s and it looks like they refuse to drop below $47-50k MY13 with reasonable mileage. I don't want to spend too much because I'm dead set on picking up a 981 Cayman S in the near future.

nitewulf

That's an awesome TT, they were my dream cars when I was in uni. Congrats.

So...in the NYC area, whats a good shop to take my car to get rid off swirls and a few scratches on the clear coat? I now have a parking spot, but when I parked on the street, there was a super windy storm which unfortunately knocked off some small branches and i got a few scratches. Nothing major.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That's an awesome TT, they were my dream cars when I was in uni. Congrats.

So...in the NYC area, whats a good shop to take my car to get rid off swirls and a few scratches on the clear coat? I now have a parking spot, but when I parked on the street, there was a super windy storm which unfortunately knocked off some small branches and i got a few scratches. Nothing major.

There's tons of great detailers in the area. How far are you willing to drive?

Hesemonni

Banned
Not quite a new car post, but almost!

JlVIGwH.jpg

I got a 10,2" Pro Navi installed in the place of 6.5" non-Navi screen and it makes for a helluva difference. I don't know what went into me when I didn't order one in the first place. Maybe the price 3500 €. Retrofitting cost me 1200 €.

Picked up my TT today!

A diesel + manual Audi TT?!

I wants!

Congrats man!!

Drove a Smart car for the first time today. Good lord, what a terrible experience. I was physically ill afterwards from the jerky transmission and bumpy suspension.

Who the hell would buy this over a slightly used Mini, Golf, or Fiat 500 Abarth?

People who don't know any better.

I had to drive my friends Smart car a few years ago since she was too drunk to drive and it really was a terrible experience. It worked for her since she was your standard sized Asian girl, but me... I'm a pretty big guy and I swear to god I'd never ever get in that thing again.

I would rather pay the ungodly amount that Uber charges during surge pricing than to get stuck in that crap can. Too bad Uber didn't even exist back then.

On the bright side, she got a gig that requires her to use the highways and literally on the same day she got back home from her first day of work, she traded that POS in for a Civic.

Cowie

Picked up my TT today!

God Damn, Daytona Grey is so good. As much as I appreciate the bright colors Audi typically offers on the TT, that might be the best color I've seen on it. It makes the whole package feel more refined and mature. Enjoy it!

boltz

Hey guys what's the best way to fill in ~1/2" holes that were drilled into the trunk lid? I'm thinking some plastic plugs for a short term fix, but long term, what's my best bet? Just to be clear we are talking about metal.

Hey guys what's the best way to fill in ~1/2" holes that were drilled into the trunk lid? I'm thinking some plastic plugs for a short term fix, but long term, what's my best bet? Just to be clear we are talking about metal.

best long term fix is to have the holes welded up and painted over. Its the best but most expensive option.

GHG

Reviews for the 2017 911 Turbo S are starting to roll in:

https://youtu.be/kFKMPTIa3OI

Better than the last version? Of course. The thing that irks me about them though is the exhaust doesn't quite do justice to the performance of the car.

ascii42

This week I test drove a 2014 IS350 (out of my price range), 2014 Q50, 2013 328i, and a 2013 ATS 3.6L. The ATS was by far the most fun to drive, most optioned out, and the cheapest. Anyone else driven the ATS 3.6? Am I crazy for considering a Cadillac?

I bought a 2016 ATS with the 2.0T in February. I like it a lot. I do like the V6 though. Probably would have gone for that over the 2.0T if I wasn't set on a manual transmission this time around.

My main concerns with buying a 2013 would be that's the first model year, and that CUE's performance was generally pretty bad really until the 2016 models.

Evo X

Reviews for the 2017 911 Turbo S are starting to roll in:

https://youtu.be/kFKMPTIa3OI

Better than the last version? Of course. The thing that irks me about them though is the exhaust doesn't quite do justice to the performance of the car.

One thing I'll mention is that the 911 Turbo sounds much better from the driver's seat.Of course it's not going to match an N/A Ferrari or even it's GT siblings, but you do get much more of the intake and turbo noises, along with the roar of the sports exhaust.

But if it's still not enough for you, that's a simple aftermarket fix. Otherwise, it is just about perfect as an all weather, year round, daily driver supercar.

GHG

One thing I'll mention is that the 911 Turbo sounds much better from the driver's seat.Of course it's not going to match an N/A Ferrari or even it's GT siblings, but you do get much more of the intake and turbo noises, along with the roar of the sports exhaust.

But if it's still not enough for you, that's a simple aftermarket fix. Otherwise, it is just about perfect as an all weather, year round, daily driver supercar.

Well... There is also the new R8 V10 plus which will do all of that plus give you a fantastic soundtrack. It also has more of an "exotic" look.

Maybe it's just because I've become desensitised to 911's from living in Dubai for the last 3 years. It's Porsche city over here, 911's everywhere. Having said that, GT3's are still a rare sighting but that's what you'd have to to get something "special" from the Porsche lineup here, and if you are going to spend that much money on a supercar you want it to be special.

Ace 8095

I bought a 2016 ATS with the 2.0T in February. I like it a lot. I do like the V6 though. Probably would have gone for that over the 2.0T if I wasn't set on a manual transmission this time around.

My main concerns with buying a 2013 would be that's the first model year, and that CUE's performance was generally pretty bad really until the 2016 models.
I didn't mind CUE too much. I am worried about realibility as many people reported a rough idle in the V6. I could feel it in the car I test drove. The ATS made me want to drive a new Camaro V6 as it has the same platform.

Anion

Thanks for your impressions! I like the GLA too but it a bit too small. The GLC is nice as well and has some solid standard equipment but she likes the boxier look of the GLK and the fact that it stands out among a sea of similar looking crossovers.

Quickly pick one up while you can lol. The GLK has been renamed to GLC for 2016 and on. Personally, the interior materials are much better for the GLC though. The GLC has the new C class interior just stuffed into an SUV.

Makki

Let's add another VW product into the page. Last night I traded in the Scion FRS and moved all my crap into it's new home:

Got it for $1500 under MSRP with 3M tint included (not put on yet). It's a Golf R 6MT with DCC. Haven't had a chance to take some nice pics due to awful weather.

Speaking of the Audi R8, it seems like that and the McLaren cars don't get enough of the recognition they rightfully deserve outside of places like AutoGaf.

And the original R8 V10 sounded amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_GCuim9kY

Yeah I think R8 are kinda underrated...both the V8 and V10. I think the V8 is one of the best sounding cars ever. The new R8 plus is also a beast of a car that's as fast as the huracan..

Mclaren's are super beastly...the 12C is a whole alot of performance for the price...it's crazy how it performs and it's crazy how much the price went down lol.

Maddness

Anyone in here really savvy with car stereo systems? I am trying to do delve into it more because I like working on my own vehicles and it's one aspect I never really touched, but I've come up on a weird issue and need some advice.

Welp, looks like the alternator was having issues charging my car battery so I had to call a tow. Yay. What a way to end my night.
I want to get rid of this car so bad. :(

Watcher

Let's add another VW product into the page. Last night I traded in the Scion FRS and moved all my crap into it's new home:

Got it for $1500 under MSRP with 3M tint included (not put on yet). It's a Golf R 6MT with DCC. Haven't had a chance to take some nice pics due to awful weather.

Could you post some impressions? Im seriously considering getting a used (2015) golf gti in the very near future as an upgrade to my 2012 chevy cruze

Malvolio

Beautiful car and a serious upgrade from what you had. Wife likes my GTI so much that I think she's stepping up to the R once her Nissan kicks it. Happy motoring!

negitoro7

Congrats! I love mine, even if Lapiz Blue is a pain to keep swirl-free. Sometimes I wonder if I should've gotten Oryx White.

Makki

Could you post some impressions? Im seriously considering getting a used (2015) golf gti in the very near future as an upgrade to my 2012 chevy cruze

Sure! The interior is what I enjoy most compared to other cars in the segment. You get beautiful accent lighting down the doors and all switches are illuminated; lots of soft touch materials everywhere except on the center console make you feel like you really got a good deal for the money. The seats on the R are bolstered perfectly for both long drives and spirited driving, since unlike the FRS, they do not hug you to the point of claustrophobia, yet they don't let you slide off the seat on tight turns.The leather hasn't gotten hot at all in Florida weather which is pretty awesome.

The R also has the one thing I really missed from a MKVI GTI I had which are the massively bright headlights that follow your steering input, but this time they also light up an extra bulb when you have a blinker on to show you where you are turning to which is amazingly helpful when streets aren't illuminated at night. Automatic wipers... car play... Its a lot more luxury than I would have gotten for the same 36k I was going to pay for a Ford RS and since I don't go to the track I really dont get most of the benefits from the Ford drivetrain.

Engine-wise, I've never felt so much power in my life. It's not just the massive torque that pushes you into the seat, but the fact that if you can actually plant your foot on the floor and take off immediately without wheel hop like I got on the GTI or the tail coming out on the FRS (mostly in first gear or wet roads). Surprisingly enough, the dealer put 91 octane on the car so I have been beating the shit out of it to fill it with Shell 93 gas and yet my current fuel average is 25 mpg!

The adaptive suspension I thought would be a gimmick, but my girlfriend loves the Cadillac like floaty cloud feel of Comfort mode, and I love the stiff Race mode since it is much more planted than even the FRS I had, yet it gives me none of the bounciness.

For a TLDR:

Pros: Massive grip and torque, amazing interior for the money, lots of room inside, great seats; no body roll feel on race mode
Cons: Really quiet exhaust even in sport mode; back of the car gets dirty super quick; piano black trim is full of finger prints; stock 19 inch tires are fucking loud over grooved roads

Congrats! I love mine, even if Lapiz Blue is a pain to keep swirl-free. Sometimes I wonder if I should've gotten Oryx White.

Thank you! I actually wanted Lapiz intially, but after I saw that the white in person had a flake to it I was sold. The dealer put some special coating on it so I have 0 swirl marks guaranteed for 5 years without having to wax so I am a happy camper.

Beautiful car and a serious upgrade from what you had. Wife likes my GTI so much that I think she's stepping up to the R once her Nissan kicks it. Happy motoring!

She would not regret it, the grip is addictive and the car is such a sleeper! People dont know what it is lol... my neighbor thought it was just a golf diesel since it doesnt have any badging besides the "R"

Here's a shot after I drove it some more today:

No Love

Banned
I bought a Shark Injector tune through Turner Motorsports on a special they had a couple of weeks back. Finally got it installed last night and I'm very pleased with the much improved throttle response and it makes my car feel lighter @ 4000rpm+. Revmatch on downshifts is worlds easier and much more satisfying. First time I did a 3rd to 2nd gave me the biggest grin. Peak HP gains are supposed to be +14 @ 6400 rpm and torque +11 @4100 rpm on the ZHP. Don't know about that but there is definitely something there that wasn't before and I'm liking it.

Those are some pretty awesome gains for just a tune. Are you going to upgrade to a custom tune later? They are even better than a canned one.

Smokey

i don't think i'd daily a P1, but I wouldn't garage queen it either. I think if you drove it everyday you'd get used too used to it , and take for granted what the fuck kind of machinery you are in.

boltz

Put an even bigger wing on than the one you took out.

I can confirm this is the correct answer.

best long term fix is to have the holes welded up and painted over. Its the best but most expensive option.

lol, only here can I ask about some holes in my trunk lid and everyone knows exactly what I'm trying to do. I've decided to just plug them up for now with some painted panel fasteners so the spoiler can go back on if desired.

Congrats, I was considering the same car for a long time. How do you like the shifter? I've heard that it's ok stock, but apparently there are some upgrades that significantly improve it.

Makki

Congrats, I was considering the same car for a long time. How do you like the shifter? I've heard that it's ok stock, but apparently there are some upgrades that significantly improve it.

Thanks! The shifter is precise but absolutely not sporty. It softly clicks into gear as opposed to the notchy positive action that the FRS shifter had. It also requires a much longer throw compared to the FRS and it is a little difficult to know what gear you are on just by looking at the stick (thankfully the HUD has a gear display in case you forget).

Two positives about it though are that unlike the FRS, I have not gotten stuck in between gates at high RPM shifts from 2nd to 3rd; I also have no troubles at all going into 1st while the car is moving, whereas the FRS would require double clutching when cold to go in right away. The Golf R is much easier to speed shift compared to the Scion where you would be sometimes stuck hunting for 3rd during spirited driving. I will be buying a short throw kit in the future... but I can live with it for now.

Evo X

i don't think i'd daily a P1, but I wouldn't garage queen it either. I think if you drove it everyday you'd get used too used to it , and take for granted what the fuck kind of machinery you are in.

I see where you're coming from. I suppose it depends where you live too. His commute seemed to go through some pretty nice roads and I assume that most drivers in Japan aren't assholes like they are here.

Still, I know if I had one in my garage, I would want to drive it all the time. Keeping your best car low mileage for resale value is like not fucking your smoking hot girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy. lol.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. This dude is so loaded that he can afford to DD something like a P1 and not give a shit about the running costs or depreciation. Most people, including me, find that crazy, but we're not in his world.

Hell, I'm sure some people think it's crazy that I DD a GT4. But to me, it's worth it for the joy it brings, and I am finally at a point in my life where I can. Never would have imagined being able to do so even 5 years ago.

J-Rzez

Finally done suffering through the ordering process with these dumb ford dealers after even one of them lying telling me they can get a car I wanted and taking my money for a while just to find out they didn't have an allocation after all. Their game plan was to tell me they can get me a MY16, then just let it roll over to a MY17 where allocations were open. Got my money back and sent an email to Ford.

Silver lining, long story short, friend knew someone, got a number and name drop. Thus, finally deposited on a and getting under sticker:
Focus RS
RS2 interior
Sunroof
Nitrous Blue

Was optioning the upgraded wheels but decided since so many people had them, just set $3500 aside for some good Volk/BBS/Wedssport wheels.

Can't wait, hope it lives up to the hype. I'm just tired from this experience. Worst shopping experience ever. From scumbag liars, to scumbags marking them up $5-10k.

SliChillax

Not quite a new car post, but almost!

I got a 10,2" Pro Navi installed in the place of 6.5" non-Navi screen and it makes for a helluva difference. I don't know what went into me when I didn't order one in the first place. Maybe the price 3500 €. Retrofitting cost me 1200 €.
It's embarrassing that BMW offers that laughable small screen in their cars.

Makki

Finally done suffering through the ordering process with these dumb ford dealers after even one of them lying telling me they can get a car I wanted and taking my money for a while just to find out they didn't have an allocation after all. Their game plan was to tell me they can get me a MY16, then just let it roll over to a MY17 where allocations were open. Got my money back and sent an email to Ford.

Silver lining, long story short, friend knew someone, got a number and name drop. Thus, finally deposited on a and getting under sticker:
Focus RS
RS2 interior
Sunroof
Nitrous Blue

Was optioning the upgraded wheels but decided since so many people had them, just set $3500 aside for some good Volk/BBS/Wedssport wheels.

Can't wait, hope it lives up to the hype. I'm just tired from this experience. Worst shopping experience ever. From scumbag liars, to scumbags marking them up $5-10k.

I would have given Ford my money and sacrificed all the commodities on the R had their dealer network not fucked me over with a non existing allocation. Additionally I met nothing but greedy dealers asking ADM, and when I managed to scavenge a MSRP deal, I was welcomed by non-negotiable shit trade in values for my FRS and treated like I was being done a favor for forking over 37k (16k for a 19,000 mile Series 10? really?). I've never owned an american car so it was a bit of a gamble (although the RS is German anyway). I hope it really pans out for you with no more shenanigans! I gave up on it.

I see where you're coming from. I suppose it depends where you live too. His commute seemed to go through some pretty nice roads and I assume that most drivers in Japan aren't assholes like they are here.

Still, I know if I had one in my garage, I would want to drive it all the time. Keeping your best car low mileage for resale value is like not fucking your smoking hot girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy. lol.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. This dude is so loaded that he can afford to DD something like a and not give a shit about the running costs or depreciation. Most people, including me, find that crazy, but we're not in his world.

Hell, I'm sure some people think it's crazy that I DD a GT4. But to me, it's worth it for the joy it brings, and I am finally at a point in my life where I can. Never would have imagined being able to do so even 5 years ago.

I completely agree ...if you just want to look at it in a garage, buy a poster, its cheaper.

life is too short and you don't know if tomorrow will come.

I DD my first NSX ..and put more than 100k miles on it and loved it! On my 2nd NSX I made it a garage queen and I highly regret not driving it hard....I pretty much became the fluffer for the next guy...

J-Rzez

I would have given Ford my money and sacrificed all the commodities on the R had their dealer network not fucked me over with a non existing allocation. Additionally I met nothing but greedy dealers asking ADM, and when I managed to scavenge a MSRP deal, I was welcomed by non-negotiable shit trade in values for my FRS and treated like I was being done a favor for forking over 37k (16k for a 19,000 mile Series 10? really?). I've never owned an american car so it was a bit of a gamble (although the RS is German anyway). I hope it really pans out for you with no more shenanigans! I gave up on it.

Yeah, I got screwed over before by my other dealer I thought was a sure thing, but this time the owner put in a call as a favor to his one surgeon friend that wanted to help me out since he owed me a favor.

But in the end, ill believe it when I'm signing the papers.

We're not the only ones to deal with this. I'm pretty sure ford dealers are the scummiest of scum lol.

Top Bottom