• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Reven

yay no more Chris Evans!

Hope they go for Rowan Atkinson again...

They already have an overloaded cast with plenty of talent. They should keep LeBlanc, move Reid and Harris to the main show and get rid of Jordan. I'm not sure what they should do with Sabine though.

matmanx1

Salomondrin's Bangin' Gears is out! 675LT v VIPER ACR v AVENTADOR SV v GT3 RS v 458 SPECIALE Automotive heaven!

Ooooh, must watch. Thanks for the link!

yay no more Chris Evans!

Hope they go for Rowan Atkinson again...

I woke up and saw the news. I haven't watched an episode of the new TG yet but it sounds like Evans needed to go.

In other news, I just ordered a new set of tires for the MX-5. After some consideration I went with BF Goodrich gForce Comp 2 AS's. They get consistently good reviews across the board and while they don't match the absolute grip of the Pilot Sport 3 AS+ they are also $50 cheaper (on average) per tire for still being a very good product. They should be at my house late this week or early next week and I imagine will make my already fun MX-5 that much better.

I'm currently running on 5 year old run flat tires that have micro cracks forming where the sidewall meets the tread. They still have good dry grip but they ride very very hard and very noisy.

GHG

The age of hybrid/electric sportcars is upon us. The performance is there no doubt. We just need to get used to the artificial sounds....I guess that's a small price to pay for huge benefits....

It's simple. Disable artificial sound by whatever means possible, add an aftermarket exhaust. Enjoy.

wotter

So I went on holiday for three weeks and did not check this thread.

Congrats! It might not be as much fun to drive as the 86, but is a huge step up as a daily driver with luxury and tech features.

Thanks! My 86 had heated leather seats, sat nav, cc and bluetooth, but the IS has a lot more features indeed. If I had the room (and money) I would've kept the 86 as the weekend / summer car.
BTW, I see you posting a lot in this thread (Porsche / Ferrari pics), you drive a GT4 at the moment, correct?

Congrats! I think the IS is a sharp looking car and it's great that Lexus replaced the old underpowered V6. Do you miss driving stick at all? I've been driving an automatic for almost 5 years now and can't wait to get back into a stick.

Thanks! I like the look of the car as well, too bad the RC 200t was a lot more expensive here in Belgium, or that would've been my choice.
The V6 (250) was never an option here in Belgium, there was only the 300H, which was OK, but I only ordered the car when the 200t came available. Imo the engine this car needs.
Atm, I don't miss driving stick, but ask me again in three years ^^ I'll probably be of the same opinion. I still drive stick from time to time though (in the weekend with my brother's car).

Awesome cars. My neighbor has that Lexus as well. Looks slick and great. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as he does. I was just at a Jaguar F Pace unveiling party a couple weeks ago and it looks great. I love the rear lights from the F Type. It's definitely one of my favorite SUV cars out there right now.

Thank you, I like the look of the F-Pace as well, it's just that I don't really care for SUV's ^^ but I think my dad will like it. He now drives a four year old Range Rover Evoque. I'll certainly drive the Jaguar from time to time. The car should arrive early Oct.

Congrats on the pickup. I actually dig the looks of the new IS series. Very aggressive. As I was saying to mkenyon, I have a soft spot for Lexus. Their cars are just so solid, quiet and comfortable and the factory sound systems tend to be excellent. They make excellent daily drivers. Even my 12 year old GX470 does great in that regard.

Again, thanks! And yeah, there very well built, no rattles whatsoever (compared to my GT86 lol). And the front in the F-sport version imo looks great, that's one of the reasons I've picked this car instead of a more 'boring' A4. And the lack of noise still surprises me.
And sorry, I had to google GX470 :( (are those even sold in Belgium? Haven't seen one of those).

Anyway, this thread moves fast, keep on driving Autogaf.

negitoro7

Hell, I'm sure some people think it's crazy that I DD a GT4. But to me, it's worth it for the joy it brings, and I am finally at a point in my life where I can. Never would have imagined being able to do so even 5 years ago.

Aren't you still in your 20's Evo? Damn, I've accomplished nothing in life.

Matt Farah's Focus RS has arrived

Choice quote on the STi: "I'm generally over that engine".

Saw this at lunch.

And goddamn it, now I just want it more.

I was never against it, but I had some apprehensions to that price tag. I was hoping that there was more to that $40K price tag besides the performance components and anybody who's touched it just kept talking about the performance, which is fine of course, but it doesn't paint a clear picture of the car.

Now that somebody's actually talked about the entire picture, all my apprehensions are gone and I'm highly impressed.

Also that quote was hilarious, I almost spat out my food from that. Matt's no bullshit attitude to cars is the reason why I trust his opinion a lot more than a majority of the other automotive writers/reviewers.

What's the word on the Civic Type R? Is that still coming to American shores?

86GAF shrinking, but understandable. It's a great gateway into a world of much better cars for not much more money.

The V6 (250) was never an option here in Belgium, there was only the 300H, which was OK, but I only ordered the car when the 200t came available. Imo the engine this car needs.

Both the IS/RC have too many engine options here in the states. I'd like to see the 3.0 die and the 2.0T gain AWD capability.

Saw this at lunch.

I was never against it, but I had some apprehensions to that price tag. I was hoping that there was more to that $40K price tag besides the performance components and anybody who's touched it just kept talking about the performance, which is fine of course, but it doesn't paint a clear picture of the car.

An STI Limited is the same 40k. Ford dealers are going to be assholes about this for awhile (just like Subaru dealers every time a new STI is launched), but if production stays up the prices will level out. The Focus gives you much more interesting options.

Supposedly, although Honda has said nothing since the initial "it's coming" last year. Not even any word on what the Si will be carrying.

Here's an odd one: anyone here have to buy a car for one of their kids? Our oldest is almost 14 and is eyeing (older) WRXes, and is already saving up. I have concerns about putting that much power into a young driver's hands, but also think that it would be a great platform to start out with and something they could learn to take care of.

86GAF shrinking, but understandable. It's a great gateway into a world of much better cars for not much more money.

I will have had mine for three years this Sept. I thought I would move on but I am still enjoying it a lot. No monthly payment and super low maintenance and insurance costs are a bonus too. MIght keep it for another year.

An STI Limited is the same 40k. Ford dealers are going to be assholes about this for awhile (just like Subaru dealers every time a new STI is launched), but if production stays up the prices will level out. The Focus gives you much more interesting options.

Supposedly, although Honda has said nothing since the initial "it's coming" last year. Not even any word on what the Si will be carrying.

Did some math and even if I trade in my Miata($6K TIV) and down 10%, I'd still be at $600/60 months. It's affordable but no thanks. I'd rather put half of that in a CPO FoST or GTI, then put the other half in Miata parts so I can start autoX or tracking it next year.

How's the current Si anyway? I was entertaining the thought the other day along with those other FWD hot-hatches I mentioned before but I feel like the GTI beats it out easily so I scrapped it off the list.

FStop7

Banned
I dunno about that new Adrian Newey / Aston Martin car. I thought Newey wasn't a wind tunnel guy and did his stuff by hand. But that car looks like Generic Current-Tech Windtunnel Supercar #489343.

Did some math and even if I trade in my Miata($6K TIV) and down 10%, I'd still be at $600/60 months. It's affordable but no thanks. I'd rather put half of that in a CPO FoST or GTI, then put the other half in Miata parts so I can start autoX or tracking it next year.

I have a $600/mo. car payment, but it certainly isn't for a 60 month loan.

How's the current Si anyway? I was entertaining the thought the other day along with those other FWD hot-hatches I mentioned before but I feel like the GTI beats it out easily so I scrapped it off the list.

I drove both the sedan and coupe Si when shopping last spring. The GTI feels faster and far more refined, and is a much more useful hatchback. But the Si felt much lighter even though it's barely 100 lbs. less than the GTI, and it will start every morning and cost almost nothing to run. Between the two I'd chose the Si hands down.

There is no current Si yet. Honda has yet to release the 10th gen Si or even show it as far as I know.

I have a 9th gen and I enjoy it quite a bit as a DD.

The transmision is amazingly smooth. Has more torque than the 86 twins (at least it did before the refresh), and the K24 is a well proven engine. It's really easy to drive daily, I do about 35 miles in solid CA SFO Bay Area traffic one way and I don't feel it at all. It's definitely not the Si of old, as the old 2.0 revved higher and had a more raw feeling, but that was traded for the torque. My buddy with an 8th gen said he'd rather have mine for that reason.

For now, it's probably just worth waiting for whatever the 10th gen Si will look like. Right now I don't even think Honda is making any more 9th gen Sis.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I'm turning 26 in a month and I now feel like I haven't done shit lol.

I have a $600/mo. car payment, but it certainly isn't for a 60 month loan.

Yeah, my math was partially wrong, comes out to $540 a month actually, but it's still absolutely crazy for a 60 month loan.

I drove both the sedan and coupe Si when shopping last spring. The GTI feels faster and far more refined, and is a much more useful hatchback. But the Si felt much lighter even though it's barely 100 lbs. less than the GTI, and it will start every morning and cost almost nothing to run. Between the two I'd chose the Si hands down.

There is no current Si yet. Honda has yet to release the 10th gen Si or even show it as far as I know.

I have a 9th gen and I enjoy it quite a bit as a DD.

The transmision is amazingly smooth. Has more torque than the 86 twins (at least it did before the refresh), and the K24 is a well proven engine. It's really easy to drive daily, I do about 35 miles in solid CA SFO Bay Area traffic one way and I don't feel it at all. It's definitely not the Si of old, as the old 2.0 revved higher and had a more raw feeling, but that was traded for the torque. My buddy with an 8th gen said he'd rather have mine for that reason.

For now, it's probably just worth waiting for whatever the 10th gen Si will look like. Right now I don't even think Honda is making any more 9th gen Sis.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I love love love the 8th gen's looks, especially the Mugen edition. The 9th gen grew on me but I initially hated it lol.

Performance wise, I really don't care tbh since I still have my Miata. It just needs to be as fast as my Miata and I'll be good lol.

Dangit, I already scrapped the Si off my list but now it's going to get put back on again. I shouldn't have asked haha.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I love love love the 8th gen's looks, especially the Mugen edition. The 9th gen grew on me but I initially hated it lol.

Performance wise, I really don't care tbh since I still have my Miata. It just needs to be as fast as my Miata and I'll be good lol.

Dangit, I already scrapped the Si off my list but now it's going to get put back on again. I shouldn't have asked haha.

We don't even know if the 10th gen Si will get a turbo VTEC engine, because if it does then what will the Type R have? Maybe they'll just be tuned differently?

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Either way it needs to be beefier than just 205HP IMO to compete with the FoST and GTI.

I kind of dig the hatchback

Desktop_0000_Civic_Hatchback_Prototype_Side_Profile_Final.jpg

Desktop_0003_Civic_Hatchback_Prototype_Front_Quarter_View%20_Edited_001d_FINAL.jpg

matmanx1

Here's an odd one: anyone here have to buy a car for one of their kids? Our oldest is almost 14 and is eyeing (older) WRXes, and is already saving up. I have concerns about putting that much power into a young driver's hands, but also think that it would be a great platform to start out with and something they could learn to take care of.

I'm not a WRX guy so I can't speak to that aspect of it but my first car was a 68 Mustang with a 351 V8 under the hood with lots of "go fast" goodies. It would bark the tires on gear changes and it was an automatic. =) Torque for days and it sounded amazing.

I never wrecked it or even got a speeding ticket but I did completely spin it 360 degrees one day after a light rain which scared me badly enough to be more cautious from then on. What I'm saying is, its not so much the car as it is the kid. Some kids can handle more responsibility than others. So the question is, how's your kid?

Personally I love seeing responsible teens driving performance cars. Hopefully they will grow up to be proper car nuts like the rest of us. =)

ascii42

Not a parent, but I feel like a regular Impreza would be a better car to start out on. Up to you though. I don't know your kid.

^^^ Not important who his kid is, all teenagers are retarded.

No to WRX, sure to Impreza.

Or how about an old Volvo that's down a cylinder or two? That's about all I'd trust a teenager with.

ascii42

True, and they get dumber in groups. Your kid's friends will try to get him to do something stupid, and probably succeed. My sister went well over 100 mph in the early 90s Legacy we learned to drive on, and that wasn't anything fancy. Pretty much any car's fast enough to get into trouble. Well, besides the '86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham I had in high school. I floored it once in that thing and I think the fuel gauge moved faster than the car. The dumbest thing I did in that car was attempt to take a turn at more than 2 mph.

We don't even know if the 10th gen Si will get a turbo VTEC engine, because if it does then what will the Type R have? Maybe they'll just be tuned differently?

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Either way it needs to be beefier than just 205HP IMO to compete with the FoST and GTI.

Yeah that actually looks kinda alright.

I'm conflicted lol.

Hahaha this 100%.

Me and a buddy got his Ford Windstar to 100mph back in HS.

I had a Focus then a Corolla and I was knee deep in Initial D and auto enthusiasm so I knew what I could do and not do with them FWD econoboxes. It really wasn't until I got my Miata 4 years ago when I could do shenanigans... that I still do today haha. :D

Oxn

I dont think it matter too much which car you get a teenager. If they are dumb, and chances they are. They will push a car to its limit no matter what you get them.

boltz

I think a well-grounded, responsible teen with some real driver's training could handle a WRX, but not a greenhorn driver. Just too much easy-to-access temptation for an inexperienced driver.

Saw this at lunch.

Now that somebody's actually talked about the entire picture, all my apprehensions are gone and I'm highly impressed.

Also that quote was hilarious, I almost spat out my food from that. Matt's no bullshit attitude to cars is the reason why I trust his opinion a lot more than a majority of the other automotive writers/reviewers.

The only thing I disagreed with was Matt's characterization of the RS as a "luxury" car. I have a regular Focus and I enjoy being in it because it does have one of the nicer interiors for a mainstream compact car, but luxury is a bit of hyperbole. The Golf GTI/R still have a significant edge in that department.

The numbers I've seen for the Civics with the 1.5L turbo have been pretty impressive. I could see Honda beefing that thing up for Si duty, if not getting a detuned/less robust version of whatever engine the Type R will have, a la the GTI and Golf R.

So after much deliberation I finally got my first performance vehicle - an Evo X! I was about ready to pull the trigger on a $34k WRX, but if I was going to go the non-hatchback route, I had to consider my buddy's Evo. The deal was sealed when he made an awesome offer of $19k to part with his clean, unmolested 2010 GSR with less than 50k on the odometer. Already took off the spoiler, which greatly improves rearward visibility and takes a big target off my back :)

The confidence the car inspires while driving is ridiculous. The Recaro seats, lack of perceptible body roll, and loads of grip make me tear through every turn I can.

My biggest grip about the car besides the tiny trunk is the lack of power before the turbo kicks in at about 3k rpm, so 1st and 2nd gear often feel a bit sluggish in normal driving. Otherwise, I just love how raw the car driving experience is.

Here is a terrible cellphone photo of it:

Xdye7

So after much deliberation I finally got my first performance vehicle - an Evo X! I was about ready to pull the trigger on a $34k WRX, but if I was going to go the non-hatchback route, I had to consider my buddy's Evo. The deal was sealed when he made an awesome offer of $19k to part with his clean, unmolested 2010 GSR with less than 50k on the odometer. Already took off the spoiler, which greatly improves rearward visibility and takes a big target off my back :)

The confidence the car inspires while driving is ridiculous. The Recaro seats, lack of perceptible body roll, and loads of grip make me tear through every turn I can.

My biggest grip about the car besides the tiny trunk is the lack of power before the turbo kicks in at about 3k rpm, so 1st and 2nd gear often feel a bit sluggish in normal driving. Otherwise, I just love how raw the car driving experience is.

Here is a terrible cellphone photo of it:

Congrats, looks like you got a great deal on the car. If you haven't already, make sure it has the timing chain and fuel pump relay issues taken care of as well as having all standard maintenance up to date. Enjoy!

TylerD

No to WRX, sure to Impreza.

Or how about an old Volvo that's down a cylinder or two? That's about all I'd trust a teenager with.

After I got my license it took a whole 2 weeks before I tried to drift my 944 on the way to football practice and ended up facing the opposite way in someones yard. That car saw a lot of rally duty on the gravel road running around the lake close to my house too. 4 dumbasses in a 944 we were. We almost ended up in the lake or a ditch many times and the fact that I couldn't work the clutch as effectively with someone behind me was also stupid. Lots of "high speed" runs too. It was really reliable except for that whole recall with the fuel lines that lead to rather unfortunate BBQing of everything forward of the firewall.

My best friend had a 89 Escort that we beat the shit out of and when he got a truck when he turned 17 became our stunt car. Running into trashcans, jumping over mounds of Earth in his back yard and lots of stupid ebrake antics. That thing refused to die and we would get bored and beat it with baseball bats. Should have put a rollcage in that thing and talked about it for a while but never got around to it. Ahhh to be young and dumb again...

After I got my license it took a whole 2 weeks before I tried to drift my 944 on the way to football practice and ended up facing the opposite way in someones yard. That car saw a lot of rally duty on the gravel road running around the lake close to my house too. 4 dumbasses in a 944 we were. We almost ended up in the lake or a ditch many times and the fact that I couldn't work the clutch as effectively with someone behind me was also stupid. Lots of "high speed" runs too. It was really reliable except for that whole recall with the fuel lines that lead to rather unfortunate BBQing of everything forward of the firewall.

That's my favorite thing about Porsches: they're always super reliable until they explode.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about! Myself, I didn't even have my license before I took my parents' Dodge Neon out (private road) and parked it on top of a stone wall after "rallying" through the icy gravel. The best part of that is when the flatbed driver showed up to pull it off the wall (really a five foot cliff) he asked, "What, you back off the cliff?" "No sir, I went up." "How in the fuck'd you do that?"

Teenagers are just terrible judges of risk, and they have zero concept of a) how quickly things can go wrong in a car or b) just how badly they suck at driving. I thought I was a fucking god at driving back then, but without a doubt I was terrible and dangerous.

I appreciate all the input. She's a straight-A student, model citizen, has never caused any trouble in her life other than the normal can't-be-bothered-to-do-chores-on-Saturday-morning teenager bit.

Past performance is not an indicator of future results, of course.

Teenagers are just terrible judges of risk, and they have zero concept of a) how quickly things can go wrong in a car or b) just how badly they suck at driving. I thought I was a fucking god at driving back then, but without a doubt I was terrible and dangerous.

...and car control can only be learned through experience. I'm just happy she's into cars at all (and wants to learn to drive stick too).

Evo X

I think guys generally do more stupid shit with cars as teens than girls do. Peer pressure, testosterone, lack of experience, and undeveloped brain lead to some bad decisions when behind the wheel. I'm honestly surprised I'm still alive and with a clean record with the access to high performance machinery I had at a young age.

No. EVERYONE buys a white Evo X. It is the most common, boring color. Try blue, red, or gray. It's actually a known joke in the Evo community.

Haha, the only reason I had a grey Evo X was because the dealer didn't have a white one.

This was back in 08 though so I was one of the first people in the country to have one.

White is also the most common GT4 color, but I don't care. I bought the car for myself not others, and I've been dreaming of a white GT car ever since I fell in love with a 997 GT3 I saw almost 10 years ago.

I appreciate all the input. She's a straight-A student, model citizen, has never caused any trouble in her life other than the normal can't-be-bothered-to-do-chores-on-Saturday-morning teenager bit.

You didn't tell us it was your daughter. If I had a daughter getting a WRX I'd be less worried about her getting into an accident and more worried about the douchebag fast-n-furious teenage boys suddenly going ga-ga over her for driving a cool car.

I know I would have been all up on that when I was that age!

Er... sorry, that sounds way weirder than I mean it to be!

Evo X

You didn't tell us it was your daughter. If I had a daughter getting a WRX I'd be less worried about her getting into an accident and more worried about the douchebag fast-n-furious teenage boys suddenly going ga-ga over her for driving a cool car.

I know I would have been all up on that when I was that age!

Er... sorry, that sounds way weirder than I mean it to be!

WCZ3tKF.gif

J-Rzez

Matt Farah's Focus RS has arrived

Choice quote on the STi: "I'm generally over that engine".

I agree with him on the STI, it's what I complained about a while back and ended up with a WRX with it's new FA20DIT motor, which has been fantastic I must say. That EJ25 needs to go. Hopefully the RS forces their hand.

I watched his video and write up on the car, I think it's pretty fair what he said. It's not going to have that euro-luxo feel interior, but it's actually not bad and has some toys to mess with in it. But i'm weird and like that feel of a spartan interior that shows money was put into performance. I'll have my Recaro's, nice steering wheel, and I'm happy. The other toys are icing on the cake. May have to tweak the shifter.

Oh well. Now it's just the waiting game until Ford starts production of the 17's so I can get mine that I ordered/deposited on. Just in time for winter... par for the course. lol.

mkenyon

Banned
No. EVERYONE buys a white Evo X. It is the most common, boring color. Try blue, red, or gray. It's actually a known joke in the Evo community.
I didn't realize awesomeness of color was related to a lower rarity, hipster.

:p

Yeah, I dont know what it is, the white just gets me going on that car, at least out of the stock colors. I like it on WRXs too, except I'd add a very large helping dose of cherry blossom
pink
red.

I'd actually really like to get one in matte orange.

Maybe that's somehow related to my recent obsession with KTM bikes.

Top Bottom