• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

J-Rzez

You know what to do ;)

Yeah, the pain is since the car is a pretty wild color I want a cool wheel combo. Since the brakes are light blue as well it makes it tough. Black with polished lip? Black with gold lip/studs? Black and yellow? Black and red? All red? Damn.. Same thing is going to happen again, will take me months to decide, lol.

Did some shopping with the wife today, surprised how many people know what it is and stop by to talk while waiting for my wife to come out of the shops.

matmanx1

It's my suspension, almost worn tires and the shitty roads around here.

I'm running Eibach Pro-Kit springs with my Koni shocks and that combo is the one that'll give you the lowest ride height out of all spring+shock combos, except for coilovers, and even on 100% soft settings on the shock, it'll pick up a lot of the standard sized bumps.

As for my tires, like I said they're basically almost out and I've been wanting to change them for a while now. But they're summer tires and it's summer(therefore 100 degree days everyday) so while the sidewall has definitely decreased, the grip is still there thanks to the heat.

Besides tires, I'm also looking at springs that better complement my shocks. But at the same time, I'm also hesitant to do so coz it costs money that I could just save up to buy proper coilovers instead so I dunno lol.

Ahh well that explains it. I'm not saying an MX-5 would ever be considered "cushy" in the ride department but yours sounds like it would be much stiffer than stock. What you need to do is buy an old Lexus for occasional use. They are so soft and serene they will a) pamper you when you want to be pampered and b) really make you appreciate the MX-5 for how light and nimble it is.

So for some peasant auto gaf content, I bought another car the other day. Its a 1998 volvo S70 turbo with a manual transmission, so not very common. My friend originally bought the car non running and he was going to fix it and flip it. I told him I was looking for a car, so he put more work into and and now its mine. I has a newer engine in it with all the service on it done, as well as a bunch of other stuff.

There are a couple things I need to do though. The tires are a bit dry rotted, so I'll have to replace them soon, but they should last the rest of the year though. Also it needs a new A/C controller, as the A/C is always on. But since I live in Phoenix, that wont be a problem until October.

Its also the newest car I've owned so far, as the last newest car I had was my 1991 mr2. Luckily I sold my mercedes, so I was able to use the money I got for that car towards this one. I'm still at 6 cars though, and only 3 drivable ones. The next one to get sold will be the maxima, but I have to fix it first.

pic
DSCN2540.jpg

I dig it! I really like that body style and the manual version is a good find. Enjoy it.

Ah gotcha. I much prefer this old M45 over any other Infiniti.

30976840002_large.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2003-2004 M45. The design is so unique and interesting, one of Nissan's best ever. Criminally underrated car.

I have a older Drift Tengoku magazine that has a drifting M45 with a SR20 swap.

I need to dig it out of my "old magazines" rubber maid bin. It looked rather nice.

KrisB

Ah gotcha. I much prefer this old M45 over any other Infiniti.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2391/3681/30976840002_large.jpg[img]

[Img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Nd5Pu9t6_PQ/maxresdefault.jpg[img]

2003-2004 M45. The design is so unique and interesting, one of Nissan's best ever. Criminally underrated car.[/QUOTE]
Almost got one of those instead of the Cima. (Nissan Gloria/Cedric) really nice shape.

Gritesh

Question for the auto gaf community.

I own outright a 2015 sti.

I've done some work on it and the basic mods that you can do and protune before building the block.

I live in Canada and I used to drive this car year round but my business has picked up steam and I purchased a new 2016 silverado recently.

I'm not planning on driving the car in the winter anymore and for some reason I'm finding myself a little bored with the car.

I'm faced with two options.

1. Park it this winter rip out the engine dropped a closed deck shortblock in and upgrade the turbo etc close to 10k in parts.

2. Sell it and pick up something else.

I kind of want a two seater roadster type performance car. I don't want to spend gobs of money.

What's out there?

mkenyon

Banned
There's the 718 Boxster and Cayman, Alfa 4C, Corvette, if you want new. I'd pre-empt Alpha with saying the F-Type, but that doesn't really have the performance you'd be after in base form.

With used, there's tons of stuff in that price range.

*edit*

Actually those prices are in USD, which may be different in Canada.

With that kind of money, you could look at a 996 911 Turbo. They're heavily devalued right now because the entire 996 generation is due to aesthetics (fried egg lights), and the IMS bearing issue. However, the IMS bearing doesn't affect the 911 Turbo.

There's tons of lightly used Porsches for that money though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There's the 718 Boxster and Cayman, Alfa 4C, Corvette, if you want new. I'd pre-empt Alpha with saying the F-Type, but that doesn't really have the performance you'd be after in base form.

With used, there's tons of stuff in that price range.

*edit*

Actually those prices are in USD, which may be different in Canada.

With that kind of money, you could look at a 996 911 Turbo. They're heavily devalued right now because the entire 996 generation is due to aesthetics (fried egg lights), and the IMS bearing issue. However, the IMS bearing doesn't affect the 911 Turbo.

There's tons of lightly used Porsches for that money though.

50-60K he can get a used F-Type S or brand new F-Type V6 and tune that to 400HP with just an ECU for $900. Pulley + ECU will get him to 450HP. Out of the box they handle spectacularly, but there's always room to improve those cars considerably. I was about to scoop up a base 2017 F-Type and had the mods lined up to go before the XKR was found.

But yeah, those being Canadian prices kinda hurts the hunt.

Plus, those lights are secretly very good looking, especially on the 996 Turbo. Absolute bargain those cars right now. They have to go back up at one point. As a bonus, like mkenyon said, they have Mezger engines which means most of those gen's notorious mechanical faults don't affect them.

AlphaSnake

Chris Evans speaks about Top Gear and LeBlanc...

Plus, I got to share the screen with Joey from Friends! May I just take a few lines to assure you what a total mensch and extreme petrolhead Matt LeBlanc is. For me, he is the man. He is the captain Top Gear truly needs going forward, the perfect torso for the rest of TG's limbs. Not only does he eat, sleep, breathe and dream engines, propshafts and trail-braking, but the overwhelming quality that struck me about him is that he's just such a pro. The whole time I worked with him, he never once looked at the clock, was never late on set, knew his lines inside out and back to front and, most importantly on such an intense production, he always had time for everyone, especially the crew. The simple truth is he and Top Gear were made for each other.

I sort of got that feeling too. And I realized it when LeBlanc caught up to everyone during that race where he had to start 30 seconds late and STILL won. The dude is just an amazing driver.

J-Rzez

0712161418_HDR_1.jpg
0712161419b_HDR.jpg
1462556725456.jpg
0712161418a_HDR.jpg
0712160908_HDR.jpg

So I didn't get to polish it yet, just hand washed it. These will have to do for now. Quick snaps from my G5 just so hard to capture in this sun because of all the flake in the car. Will have to use a good camera when it's totally cleaned up.

So i was driving it on some back roads spiritedly the other night and decided to try out track mode and I was pretty shocked the substantial difference the way the car responds from throttle, steering, and chassis while disabling many of the nannies. Man it just darted everywhere that the imperfections in the road dictated. I was fighting the car on a one-way back road with so much steering and throttle input at 60-110mph that my buddy told me it was like watching a WRC driver.

It was mind blowing that this thing has a blue oval on the hood. Car is incredible. Good job thus far Ford.

I only have 340mi on it now so i'm still limited on boost/power until what seems to be around the 800mi mark according to Cobb/Mishimoto/other RS owners.

I was going to custom fab an exhaust but AMS got a RS and is tearing it apart coming out with their Titanium exhaust for it. Guess I'll just wait on that now instead. Custom fab will run me with mufflers, coupler, 304, tig, about $700-900... i might as well wait on the Ti exhaust from AMS which will clock in around $1400-1500 I guess.

J-Rzez

Heh, thanks guys. It catches a surprising amount of eyes. The blue is pretty hard to capture and looks pretty amazing in person in all types of lighting. Ill have to agree with Farrah on that one... Except not sure about the $20k thing lol. But then again, who knows with those makers, wouldn't put it past them.

Its been a long while since I was this enamored with a car. Looking to go to cars and coffee, already talked to my friends at the Porsche club chapter in this area to see if/when they're running at Pocono.

Dang it. There's a used 2015 M235i (x-drive) about 10 miles from me at a Mini Dealer. Has everything I want (minus the upgraded tech package but I can live without that) and it's only listed at 34000. The problem? The Carfax has it bought from the Motor Vehicle Department with 6 miles on it (which is strange, not from a dealer, with no history before it on the Carfax) in December of 14, and was put up for sale a month ago with the catch being it has 59000 miles already on it!!!

I'm still going to take a trip over on Saturday though, hoping to test drive it since I was only able to drive a 228i last year and am now aiming to get a M235i here soonish and I want to drive one. If it was bought from a dealer and transferred I would have thought to see the dealer on the Carfax, but I haven't seen anything like that before. Anyone have any guesses as to why? High mileage could be from just a long commute but still, very strange for practically a year and a half old car.

AlphaSnake

Dang it. There's a used 2015 M235i (x-drive) about 10 miles from me at a Mini Dealer. Has everything I want (minus the upgraded tech package but I can live without that) and it's only listed at 34000. The problem? The Carfax has it bought from the Motor Vehicle Department with 6 miles on it (which is strange, not from a dealer, with no history before it on the Carfax) in December of 14, and was put up for sale a month ago with the catch being it has 59000 miles already on it!!!

I'm still going to take a trip over on Saturday though, hoping to test drive it since I was only able to drive a 228i last year and am now aiming to get a M235i here soonish and I want to drive one. If it was bought from a dealer and transferred I would have thought to see the dealer on the Carfax, but I haven't seen anything like that before. Anyone have any guesses as to why? High mileage could be from just a long commute but still, very strange for practically a year and a half old car.

Uhhh...an M235i with 59K on the clock is not worth $34K at all. I was seeing barely used examples of 2015s and 2016s (with under 10K miles) for $40K. Post the carfax.

AlphaSnake

So a dyno of the Q50 Red Sport was done. And uhh...wow:

IMG_3209.jpg

Mind you, this car is rated at 400/350. Meanwhile it's putting 350TQ to the wheels. 375WHP would also equate to nearly 430 crank or so. When these things start getting tuned, watch the fuck out. I think I'm going to go a test drive one for giggles, I hope the Q60 Coupe ends up being a solid vehicle.

Still can't imagine a 400Z with this motor. Must be pure lunacy. Taming that kind of power will require a lot of suspension work. 370Zs making 400WHP+ were already a handful to control because of the short wheelbase. And the 500WHP guys were totaling them daily it seemed.

Uhhh...an M235i with 59K on the clock is not worth $34K at all. I was seeing barely used examples of 2015s and 2016s (with under 10K miles) for $40K. Post the carfax.

Carfax

Yeah, I'm not saying 34000 is cheap for that especially with that mileage, just if it did have less mileage and was that price, it would be a heck of a deal. I saw a couple M235i xdrives (xdrive adds a little bit to the price, but where I live I want it) going for around 36000 to 39000 (I know the non xdrives are cheaper even) with around 12000 - 15000 miles on them.

I did actually run over to the dealer just to look at it and just got back. Nice looking car but it does have your typical used scratches and such in certain areas, mainly above both wheel wells. I still want to take it for a spin on Saturday morning when they open just to drive it but highly, highly doubtful I bash and eye at getting it unless they lower the price to 20000! (a man can dream)

J-Rzez

Still can't imagine a 400Z with this motor. Must be pure lunacy. Taming that kind of power will require a lot of suspension work. 370Zs making 400WHP+ were already a handful to control because of the short wheelbase. And the 500WHP guys were totaling them daily it seemed.

So is a 400Z a confirmed thing now? I thought all rumors were pointing at the next Z being a "270" this time around being more efficient (and turbo) and lighter overall.

So is a 400Z a confirmed thing now? I thought all rumors were pointing at the next Z being a "270" this time around being more efficient (and turbo) and lighter overall.

I've read everything from 250 to 400 to multiple displacements and outputs but all being a Z. Nissan has released this Gripz concept that everyone thought was going to be the next Z (not likely, but hey pageclicks).

Hope they get it together soon. The 370Z is approaching its eighth birthday.

AlphaSnake

Carfax

Yeah, I'm not saying 34000 is cheap for that especially with that mileage, just if it did have less mileage and was that price, it would be a heck of a deal. I saw a couple M235i xdrives (xdrive adds a little bit to the price, but where I live I want it) going for around 36000 to 39000 (I know the non xdrives are cheaper even) with around 12000 - 15000 miles on them.

I did actually run over to the dealer just to look at it and just got back. Nice looking car but it does have your typical used scratches and such in certain areas, mainly above both wheel wells. I still want to take it for a spin on Saturday morning when they open just to drive it but highly, highly doubtful I bash and eye at getting it unless they lower the price to 20000! (a man can dream)

Carfax is a blank page. Post the link without URL tags.

It's all but confirmed.

I've read everything from 250 to 400 to multiple displacements and outputs but all being a Z. Nissan has released this Gripz concept that everyone thought was going to be the next Z (not likely, but hey pageclicks).

Hope they get it together soon. The 370Z is approaching its eighth birthday.

Nissan killed their small-car development project last year, they don't see a market for it (as exhibited by the poor sales of the GT86 twins) and it's far too costly. A small displacement Z car is not happening. Also the underpinnings and parts sharing of Z cars with Infiniti is extremely tied in between the two brands, so there's very little chance Nissan will split that relationship apart.

Carfax is a blank page. Post the link without URL tags.

Odd, linked for me just fine when I click on it:

www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WBA1J9C53FVX99228&partner=CDM_U

Edit: GAF keeps auto adding the url tags and can't figure out how to get rid of them (deleting makes them pop up again when I save) so here is just the cars.com link to the page for it (carfax link should be on there):

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/672358052/overview/

Also when I was there I was there they had the dealer listed on the paper work in the windshield. So now I know what dealer it came from, still curious on 60000 miles in a year and a half though.

Question for the auto gaf community.

I own outright a 2015 sti.

I've done some work on it and the basic mods that you can do and protune before building the block.

I live in Canada and I used to drive this car year round but my business has picked up steam and I purchased a new 2016 silverado recently.

I'm not planning on driving the car in the winter anymore and for some reason I'm finding myself a little bored with the car.

I'm faced with two options.

1. Park it this winter rip out the engine dropped a closed deck shortblock in and upgrade the turbo etc close to 10k in parts.

2. Sell it and pick up something else.

I kind of want a two seater roadster type performance car. I don't want to spend gobs of money.

What's out there?

Build the block, and rotated twin-scroll that thing... It will FLY!!! I was pinned in the seat of a local guy's similar setup. It wasn't in race mode (500HP) and it was insanely fast.

Ty4on

Chris Evans speaks about Top Gear and LeBlanc...

I sort of got that feeling too. And I realized it when LeBlanc caught up to everyone during that race where he had to start 30 seconds late and STILL won. The dude is just an amazing driver.
Any recommendations on what episodes to watch and which parts? I found the first review of the first episode to be quite boring.

Not unheard of. I've done 35k in 9 months just commuting; 60k in 18 is entirely possible.

Do you have access to the service records?

Used to drive 60 miles to work and 60 miles back so it isn't unheard of, but still hesitant.

No I don't on the service records, going by the carfax at least the person who owned it before never took it to the dealer/shop (probably did everything himself which is what I do with my car now). Still surprised he didn't take it in for the free maintenance BMW offers every 15000 or so in the first 50000 miles (even if he was changing oil every 5000, every 15000 you basically get a free change and just checkup). Don't know if that's a good or bad sign.

Used to drive 60 miles to work and 60 miles back so it isn't unheard of, but still hesitant.

No I don't on the service records, going by the carfax at least the person who owned it before never took it to the dealer/shop (probably did everything himself which is what I do with my car now). Still surprised he didn't take it in for the free maintenance BMW offers every 15000 or so in the first 50000 miles (even if he was changing oil every 5000, every 15000 you basically get a free change and just checkup). Don't know if that's a good or bad sign.

It's a toss up. I never took my Vette to the dealer for free maintence, mainly because I trust myself more than the techs. When I first brought the car home and checked the oil, it was overfilled by 1.5 quarts. I just never went back after that. Best thing to do would be to just check it out the best you can, or if you have a trusted mechanic, then take it to him.

I guess i have finished work on my car, took it to a DYNO today.
For a front wheel drive, it is enough, and so much more fun to drive now after the remap :)

Ford Focus ST mk2/225 DYNO

Nice, my buddy has the same car and is currently doing full bolt ons. He's been waiting for his intercooler to ship for like 2 months now, though.

Damn, i only had to wait a week, cant imagine 2 months...

Who did you go with? The lead time said 2-3 weeks to ship out, but it's way past that. The last thing they told him was that it was in final inspection and would ship out soon; that was sometime early last week and he hasn't gotten any tracking or anything still.

SLV

Who did you go with? The lead time said 2-3 weeks to ship out, but it's way past that. The last thing they told him was that it was in final inspection and would ship out soon; that was sometime early last week and he hasn't gotten any tracking or anything still.

I bought it from Pumasport in the UK, they used DPD, and imported it to Latvia where i am.
I also ordered a Dreamscience imap on the same day, they shipped with fedex, and that arrived a day earlier.

I literally bought these things a day before the brexit vote lol, was nervous of what could happen.

AlphaSnake

Odd, linked for me just fine when I click on it:

www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WBA1J9C53FVX99228&partner=CDM_U

Edit: GAF keeps auto adding the url tags and can't figure out how to get rid of them (deleting makes them pop up again when I save) so here is just the cars.com link to the page for it (carfax link should be on there):

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/672358052/overview/

Also when I was there I was there they had the dealer listed on the paper work in the windshield. So now I know what dealer it came from, still curious on 60000 miles in a year and a half though.

So looking at the CarFax it doesn't say that car was bought from a DMV. All cars are reported this way when they are purchased. The CarFax shows the DMV location that registered it. That's not a big deal.

The lack of details and maintenance records is what you need to find out. Luckily, BMWs all store that information in the keyfob!. Yes, in the keyfob. The car's records can be printed out in 30 seconds if you visit any BMW dealership. They take the keyfob, pop it into a little computer and it displays everything on the screen instantly, and one button prints it all out, even my 2008 335i Coupe worked the same way. I was actually pretty blown away by it.

So to explain why it doesn't show up in the CarFax, a lot of dealers don't share with CarFax (they're not obligated to).

So looking at the CarFax it doesn't say that car was bought from a DMV. All cars are reported this way when they are purchased. The CarFax shows the DMV location that registered it. That's not a big deal.

The lack of details and maintenance records is what you need to find out. Luckily, BMWs all store that information in the keyfob!. Yes, in the keyfob. The car's records can be printed out in 30 seconds if you visit any BMW dealership. They take the keyfob, pop it into a little computer and it displays everything on the screen instantly, and one button prints it all out, even my 2008 335i Coupe worked the same way. I was actually pretty blown away by it.

So to explain why it doesn't show up in the CarFax, a lot of dealers don't share with CarFax (they're not obligated to).

Wow, didn't actually realize that, pretty interesting. Thanks for that info then. When I got there I was going to ask them if they had any maintenance records on it, but knowing that is great knowledge for future purchases as well.

ascii42

If for whatever reason you have to get a new keyfob, do you lose your history? Or does the car just update the keyfob with it. When I think about it that would make more sense, since most cars come with two anyway, and the car has to tell the keyfob things in the first place.

AlphaSnake

Those Q50 Red Sport numbers are crazy.

Also, I didn't realize the Q60 Coupe was going to have a base twin-turbo.

Yeah, I believe it'll unfortunately come with the unfortunate 4-cylinder 2.0 turbo (to compete against the 428i, C300, A5) and then a small step-up (I believe it'll be $1800) you'll get into the twin-turbo 300HP motor. And another $2K up from that gets you the Red Sport 400. The value proposition the Infiniti offers is significant over the European cars.

Wow, didn't actually realize that, pretty interesting. Thanks for that info then. When I got there I was going to ask them if they had any maintenance records on it, but knowing that is great knowledge for future purchases as well.

Yep, you're welcome. Still the car is way too expensive. I wouldn't buy it unless they take like 10K off the price - an auto of warranty BMW is a death sentence to the wallet.

If for whatever reason you have to get a new keyfob, do you lose your history? Or does the car just update the keyfob with it. When I think about it that would make more sense, since most cars come with two anyway, and the car has to tell the keyfob things in the first place.

That's a pretty good question. I'd imagine dealers up date this info to a central database somewhere. Otherwise, you'll need to go to the dealer(s) that serviced the car and have them print out the maintenance records from their personal system (which they always keep stored). You can also call BMW corporate and provide them the VIN they may have the records or tell you which dealers kept a record of it.

Yep, you're welcome. Still the car is way too expensive. I wouldn't buy it unless they take like 10K off the price - an auto of warranty BMW is a death sentence to the wallet.

Agreed, I am 99.9% not going to buy it, mainly just want to drive it and this seems like a great opportunity to do that right now (closest BMW dealer doesn't even have any right now I think). I keep joking though that if they say 25k, I'll jump on it (I hope they don't or I'm going to be in a huge dilemma). Though I do plan on doing some mods to mine when I get it eventually, but the warranty voiding ones I would have to wait until the warranty expires.

AlphaSnake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQoBYtUcVb4&ab_channel=ChristopherGarcia

A 0-160MPH run in a Q50 Red Sport 400. While it may seem impressive (the 0-60 team is solid, especially since the car upshifted way too early in 1st) the result to get to 120 and onward was actually shitty. The gearing in these cars still sucks. The transmission seems to be a bit quicker than my old M56S (and Stillen has confirmed that the transmission is actually identical to the old Q50, just with a software update)...but the gearing is one of the reasons I sold my Infiniti to begin with.

4th and 5th gear are just too damn long for a 7-speed. And when you're in lower gears and you have that much torque to work with, it often feels like you're in the wrong gear and the car feels slow. This is the exact opposite of how ZF 8-speeds feel in other cars, such as F-Types or the XFs with 380HP. The transmission really started to bother me in the M56 and so I sold it. Clearly not an issue I have with my XKR.

For all the things Infiniti can do right...they shot in the foot is usually so bad that it sours the whole experience.

Top Bottom