• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

So I had a 2017 Kia Sportage for the weekend. Man, what a great little SUV. Decent acceleration, great features for the base price and tons of space for the passengers and for our stuff.
We ended up heading through Tennessee and Kentucky for most of the trip up and wow, those are some pretty mountains. I took a few photos here if you like to see. I had a great time in Columbus Ohio too. Cool little town.:)

Pictures here. https://goo.gl/photos/eSUATH3p6ibJV9VH6
Sorry, didn't get too many of the actual car but I thought it looked great, contrary to most people's thoughts.

3 days with a Mazda CX-5 going travelling the Texas Triangle of DFW, Austin and Houston...

I must say, I never felt discomfort with the seats the entire time... the car was very very comfortable. What irked me was the steering wheel, it felt too hard, to the point that my fingers were actually hurting by the time I got back to DFW a few hours ago.

What was amazing though is this little switch called "sport" that Mazda installed. It turns this family hauler into a ridiculous SUV on the road. The car holds the gears longer and it seems like the throttle mapping was changed since I was accelerating faster than normal mode. The acceleration with the 2.5L engine is ludicrous especially since this is a goddamn SUV we're talking about.

I know you could get faster SUV's but the CX-5 retails around $30K and for that price, I don't think you'd be able to find another comfortable SUV that can haul ass with a family in tow.

Now some general thoughts...

Is Austin the Porsche capital of Texas? I swear I saw more 911's on the road than Miatas for the 2 days I was there.

Another odd thing was the number of CX-5's in Austin... now it could be attributed to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, but there were a number of times were there was literally 4 CX-5's at a stoplight next to each other(including myself). It was freaky as hell lol.

Also walking down The Drag aka Guadalupe Street and seeing a Ferrari 360 just chilling on the street parking in front of the Co-Op was a fncking weird experience. If you've never been, it's literally one of the busiest streets in all of Austin as it borders the UT campus and a bunch of shops on the other side, with buses causing traffic, not to mention the ridiculous amounts of pedestrians walking by. I honestly didn't even park the CX-5 on any of the streets, I gladly paid the money to park in a garage and walk in the sweltering Texas heat. I can't imagine parking a Ferrari in one of the busiest streets at all.

As for Houston, I was just there for 24 hours and I was by the medical district so I never even got the chance to fully explore it(though I kinda was since I'm hooked on Pokemon Go lol). Just the usual shitty ass traffic anywhere you go. The only good thing Houston provides is the magnificent Asian food and also the way that it can bring the inner douchebag out of me so I can survive driving on the highways. This was one area were the CX-5's sport mode proved to be very very useful haha.

Anyway, it was surprisingly a fun road trip. The CX-5 even with the automatic proved to be a fun car to drive, minus the complaint of the steering wheel of course. I'd actually get one the moment I really decide to say fnck it all and give me a commuter car but for the moment, I still do enjoy driving so I think I'll hold off on that idea until my left leg can't use a clutch anymore lol.

As for Houston, I was just there for 24 hours and I was by the medical district so I never even got the chance to fully explore it(though I kinda was since I'm hooked on Pokemon Go lol). Just the usual shitty ass traffic anywhere you go. The only good thing Houston provides is the magnificent Asian food and also the way that it can bring the inner douchebag out of me so I can survive driving on the highways. This was one area were the CX-5's sport mode proved to be very very useful haha.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, I've driven the CX-5 and it was pretty great, wouldn't mind having one myself one day. You should've just went down to Chinatown and then taken Beltway 8 to wherever you needed to go out of the city. At least you didn't have to deal with all the drivers down Bellaire.

matmanx1

Question for the auto gaf community.

I own outright a 2015 sti.

I've done some work on it and the basic mods that you can do and protune before building the block.

I live in Canada and I used to drive this car year round but my business has picked up steam and I purchased a new 2016 silverado recently.

I'm not planning on driving the car in the winter anymore and for some reason I'm finding myself a little bored with the car.

I'm faced with two options.

1. Park it this winter rip out the engine dropped a closed deck shortblock in and upgrade the turbo etc close to 10k in parts.

2. Sell it and pick up something else.

I kind of want a two seater roadster type performance car. I don't want to spend gobs of money.

What's out there?

Well, I'm biased but roadsters are officially awesome. With your budget you could get a seriously nice one. I'm partial to the Alfa 4C Spyder but the Boxster and most likely the F-Type would both drive "better".

Or you could buy a brand new MX-5 and do some small mods and have an easy 5 second to 60 mph car that would be crazy fun in the twisties with the top down, but once again, I'm biased. Check out what Good-win racing is doing to them if you want to know more.

0712161418_HDR_1.jpg
0712161419b_HDR.jpg
1462556725456.jpg
0712161418a_HDR.jpg
0712160908_HDR.jpg

So I didn't get to polish it yet, just hand washed it. These will have to do for now. Quick snaps from my G5 just so hard to capture in this sun because of all the flake in the car. Will have to use a good camera when it's totally cleaned up.

So i was driving it on some back roads spiritedly the other night and decided to try out track mode and I was pretty shocked the substantial difference the way the car responds from throttle, steering, and chassis while disabling many of the nannies. Man it just darted everywhere that the imperfections in the road dictated. I was fighting the car on a one-way back road with so much steering and throttle input at 60-110mph that my buddy told me it was like watching a WRC driver.

It was mind blowing that this thing has a blue oval on the hood. Car is incredible. Good job thus far Ford.

I only have 340mi on it now so i'm still limited on boost/power until what seems to be around the 800mi mark according to Cobb/Mishimoto/other RS owners.

I was going to custom fab an exhaust but AMS got a RS and is tearing it apart coming out with their Titanium exhaust for it. Guess I'll just wait on that now instead. Custom fab will run me with mufflers, coupler, 304, tig, about $700-900... i might as well wait on the Ti exhaust from AMS which will clock in around $1400-1500 I guess.

That color is just insane. I love it. I'm sure I would break my neck trying to get a good look at it if I actually saw one in person.

I guess i have finished work on my car, took it to a DYNO today.
For a front wheel drive, it is enough, and so much more fun to drive now after the remap :)

Ford Focus ST mk2/225 DYNO

Awesome! Sounds good and looks good to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQoBYtUcVb4&ab_channel=ChristopherGarcia

A 0-160MPH run in a Q50 Red Sport 400. While it may seem impressive (the 0-60 team is solid, especially since the car upshifted way too early in 1st) the result to get to 120 and onward was actually shitty. The gearing in these cars still sucks. The transmission seems to be a bit quicker than my old M56S (and Stillen has confirmed that the transmission is actually identical to the old Q50, just with a software update)...but the gearing is one of the reasons I sold my Infiniti to begin with.

4th and 5th gear are just too damn long for a 7-speed. And when you're in lower gears and you have that much torque to work with, it often feels like you're in the wrong gear and the car feels slow. This is the exact opposite of how ZF 8-speeds feel in other cars, such as F-Types or the XFs with 380HP. The transmission really started to bother me in the M56 and so I sold it. Clearly not an issue I have with my XKR.

For all the things Infiniti can do right...they shot in the foot is usually so bad that it sours the whole experience.

The ZF 8 speed is just a marvel of engineering for an auto-box. Every time I ride in my parents 328i I am impressed with how well it works. And like you, I sold my Infiniti because of the transmission. It physically worked fine but it was never great and never as sporty as I wanted it to be. It seems they still have some work to do in that area.

I must say, I never felt discomfort with the seats the entire time... the car was very very comfortable. What irked me was the steering wheel, it felt too hard, to the point that my fingers were actually hurting by the time I got back to DFW a few hours ago.

The seats in my Mazda 2 were amazing. And that was a $13,000 car. Mazda has always done the finer comfort and touch points well.

I know you could get faster SUV's but the CX-5 retails around $30K and for that price, I don't think you'd be able to find another comfortable SUV that can haul ass with a family in tow.

The Forester XT Premium is both larger inside and far faster than the CX-5. But it won't handle as well as a CX-5 and gives up a bit in features at 30k too. The current Forester is also catastrophically ugly (I know, because we had one in our driveway for three years).

I only have 340mi on it now so i'm still limited on boost/power until what seems to be around the 800mi mark according to Cobb/Mishimoto/other RS owners.

I was going to custom fab an exhaust but AMS got a RS and is tearing it apart coming out with their Titanium exhaust for it. Guess I'll just wait on that now instead. Custom fab will run me with mufflers, coupler, 304, tig, about $700-900... i might as well wait on the Ti exhaust from AMS which will clock in around $1400-1500 I guess.

I would wait for the AMS piece, as they always put awesome R&D into each of their pieces.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, I've driven the CX-5 and it was pretty great, wouldn't mind having one myself one day. You should've just went down to Chinatown and then taken Beltway 8 to wherever you needed to go out of the city. At least you didn't have to deal with all the drivers down Bellaire.

We took I-10 then Hwy 71 to Austin and that was actually an amazing stretch of road. There wasn't a lot of people on the road and there wasn't any cops at all until you hit Bastrop so I had a lot of fun there with the Nascar style turns and flat out speedruns haha.

And tbh I didn't even know where I was exactly in Houston lol. Our hotel was in the middle of the medical district and the NRG stadium. Is Chinatown close to the H-Mart on Bellaire and the Tollway? We were there at a Korean BBQ place that a friend took us.

It's really interesting though in terms of driving styles. For example, Dallas isn't necessarily nice but you can just put on your signal lights and someone will eventually let you in, there in Houston though... yikes, I had to not only have my lights on, I also had to be really aggressive and basically tell the guy behind me, to let me in or we're about to have a problem lol.

Also with the ridiculous traffic, I dunno how you can drive a manual there. I'd probably kill myself before the clutch dies if I ever get stuck in traffic there... it seems like my own personal version of hell.

The seats in my Mazda 2 were amazing. And that was a $13,000 car. Mazda has always done the finer comfort and touch points well.

The Forester XT Premium is both larger inside and far faster than the CX-5. But it won't handle as well as a CX-5 and gives up a bit in features at 30k too. The current Forester is also catastrophically ugly (I know, because we had one in our driveway for three years).

Yeah, I'd love it if Mazda actually adds adjustable lumbar support and cold air in the future seats. The Texas heat is just too brutal that even a tint and a sunshade isn't enough to keep the white leather cool. The touch points I agree with. The placement of things makes sense, and it's just not on the CX-5, even on my Miata it's all natural feeling.

I just looked up the Forester XT and it has a turbo! Hell yeah! Then I read it has a goddamn CVT. Nah, I'm out lol.

We took I-10 then Hwy 71 to Austin and that was actually an amazing stretch of road. There wasn't a lot of people on the road and there wasn't any cops at all until you hit Bastrop so I had a lot of fun there with the Nascar style turns and flat out speedruns haha.

And tbh I didn't even know where I was exactly in Houston lol. Our hotel was in the middle of the medical district and the NRG stadium. Is Chinatown close to the H-Mart on Bellaire and the Tollway? We were there at a Korean BBQ place that a friend took us.

It's really interesting though in terms of driving styles. For example, Dallas isn't necessarily nice but you can just put on your signal lights and someone will eventually let you in, there in Houston though... yikes, I had to not only have my lights on, I also had to be really aggressive and basically tell the guy behind me, to let me in or we're about to have a problem lol.

Also with the ridiculous traffic, I dunno how you can drive a manual there. I'd probably kill myself before the clutch dies if I ever get stuck in traffic there... it seems like my own personal version of hell.

You were actually right in Chinatown, it's basically all along Bellaire. Did you eat at the Korean place next to H-Mart, Jang Guem? I go there way too much.

Houston is a huge ass warzone when it comes to driving, you need to be aggressive or you won't be able to get anywhere. People speed up when they see you want to switch lanes, cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make the exit, go under speed limit on the left lanes, etc. But then the rain comes and everyone slows down to a halt. Everyone is usually pissed off from being stuck in traffic.

What time were you stuck in traffic? I pretty much drive manual daily and have been doing so since high school, so about 13 years now.

Gritesh

Hey guys appreciate the feedback from people on moving from my 15 sti to something else.

I know I'm a little late replying but I've been doing some serious searching around and while I love the 4c and the new porsche here in Canada it quickly gets bloated in pricing.

One thing I have been thinking lately about is keeping the sti for 2-3 more years maybe building the block etc anyways and looking into what honda is going to do with that supposed secret car thing.

I'm really hoping they do a new s2k and that might be a trigger pulling car for me.

I looked at the 370z too lately but too much of a lateral move I think

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys appreciate the feedback from people on moving from my 15 sti to something else.

I know I'm a little late replying but I've been doing some serious searching around and while I love the 4c and the new porsche here in Canada it quickly gets bloated in pricing.

One thing I have been thinking lately about is keeping the sti for 2-3 more years maybe building the block etc anyways and looking into what honda is going to do with that supposed secret car thing.

I'm really hoping they do a new s2k and that might be a trigger pulling car for me.

I looked at the 370z too lately but too much of a lateral move I think
You could always go bonkers on modding a 135i.

matmanx1

Anyone in Georgia and also a PCA member? I just got an email today that the PCA Concourse at Hennessy Porsche is coming up on Sunday, July 31st and I am thinking about going.

It's been a few years since I have been but Hennessy has a large (and it's gotten larger since I have been last) air conditioned service bay where they hold the viewing and judging so you can stroll and snap pictures in relative comfort.

Last one I went to they had an immaculate Carrera GT and several pristine 356's as well as just about every other nice Porsche that you could think of, including an excellent 72' RS replica.

If you appreciate Porsche, it's a good way to see some amazing cars up close. I'd be open to meeting up with anyone who is interested or meeting you there.

negitoro7

Saw a white Nismo 370z parked up here in Arcachon, France (where I am on holiday). Still looks fresh to me tbh.

Heck, the base 370z still looks fresh to me from the outside. If I was looking for a car less than $30k CAD sticker price new, I'd look no further. Heckuva deal in Canada.

kennah

Hey CarGAF. What do you think. Shopping around for a new car, really really like Nissans (of all the cars I rent, they're my favourite so far). Should I go for the bottom end Altima or the top end Sentra?

Yeah, Nissans aren't necessarily bad. To me at least, buying a Nissan means you really wanted it out of everything else. Especially since Toyota, Honda, Mazda provide better cars in terms of everything you'd want in a econobox.

You were actually right in Chinatown, it's basically all along Bellaire. Did you eat at the Korean place next to H-Mart, Jang Guem? I go there way too much.

Houston is a huge ass warzone when it comes to driving, you need to be aggressive or you won't be able to get anywhere. People speed up when they see you want to switch lanes, cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make the exit, go under speed limit on the left lanes, etc. But then the rain comes and everyone slows down to a halt. Everyone is usually pissed off from being stuck in traffic.

What time were you stuck in traffic? I pretty much drive manual daily and have been doing so since high school, so about 13 years now.

Nah, we were across H-Mart since we wanted to stop by Juice Box after lol.

We got to Katy at 2:30PM and that wasn't so bad, it was when we merged to I-610 up to Main Street/Old Spanish Trail where shit hit the fan lol. The following day, headed back to ATX was around lunch time, but we made a quick stop at the water wall before getting back to 610 then 10. That one wasn't so bad since I already knew I had to hug the right lanes so I wouldn't miss the exit to 10.

I'm exaggerating a little bit though. I've hit ridiculously long distances of traffic here in DFW with my Miata and as long as I'm wearing the right shoes, I'm perfectly fine in traffic. It's when I have to be dressed up, in dress shoes or something like it that it becomes a pain in the ass. Not to mention it ruins the hell out of my shoes lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I bit the bullet, decided on a new car, moved the money around and in theory should be able to just go and buy it. but then I remembered that buying a new car in the US is a gross nightmare and a giant emotional tax on the consumer.

My dealer literally won't commit to a price unless I come in. "i'll talk to my manager blah blah blah."

Imagine Best Buy doing that with a TV? Or Safeway with a steak? But with a car? Totally normal behavior.

Ugh.

Bz3OJqS.jpg

soooooon

Hey CarGAF. What do you think. Shopping around for a new car, really really like Nissans (of all the cars I rent, they're my favourite so far). Should I go for the bottom end Altima or the top end Sentra?

Depends on what you want. You'd probably get more options with the sentra, but you get a bigger car with the altima. Personally I'd get the sentra, but thats mostly because it comes with a 6 speed manual, where as the altima is only cvt, although I'm sure you have different priorities.
Also, don't listen to the haters, nissans are good.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

My neighbor just had a Sentra as a rental...what a terrible car. Please avoid it. No power, awful transmission.

kennah

Depends on what you want. You'd probably get more options with the sentra, but you get a bigger car with the altima. Personally I'd get the sentra, but thats mostly because it comes with a 6 speed manual, where as the altima is only cvt, although I'm sure you have different priorities.
Also, don't listen to the haters, nissans are good.

Thanks for the advice. I'm nearing 40 and am looking forward to my first automatic transmission ,lol.

New Honda Civic Touring. Thank me later

I'll look into it, but I need something that I can easily fit 3 car seats in to the back. Altima is nooo problem.

My neighbor just had a Sentra as a rental...what a terrible car. Please avoid it. No power, awful transmission.

That's what I hear :(

Ergonomics and UI for the features it has. Comfort. Ease of putting three car seats in. Huge trunk.

Evo X

My friend traded is Huracan for a 991 GT3RS because he thought it was a far better and more focused driver's car. I also might have whispered a few things into his ear. :D

I helped him find the car, negotiate a favorable deal, and saved him a shit ton of money so he let me drive it home. What an absolute beast. God Damn. It's razor sharp ready to attack corners at all times. Throttle is super sensitive,and it has the best auto transmission I've ever used in my life. Far beyond the competition. The motor/exhaust is actually more quite and smooth than my GT4 under 4K RPMs. It really wakes up after that. Only revved it to 6500 because of break in, but it was so tempting to take it to 8800. It wants and encourages you to drive it hard. Sounds epic under tunnels. We're taking it to the track at the end of the month. Can't wait to open it up and exploit it's capabilities because you certainly can't do that on the street.

jXGGUxH.jpg

iqh9zFc.jpg

NNqoGOF.jpg

Reven

Whats everyone's thoughts on an E39 530i? I've found one for sale for 5k with just under 130k on the odo and I'm pretty tempted. Another person is selling a E39 M5 for 14k with 127k on the clock, but from the little I've heard the M5 can be a bitch maintenance wise.

So I bit the bullet, decided on a new car, moved the money around and in theory should be able to just go and buy it. but then I remembered that buying a new car in the US is a gross nightmare and a giant emotional tax on the consumer.

My dealer literally won't commit to a price unless I come in. "i'll talk to my manager blah blah blah."

Imagine Best Buy doing that with a TV? Or Safeway with a steak? But with a car? Totally normal behavior.

Ugh.

Bz3OJqS.jpg

soooooon
reddit.com/r/askcarsales is your friend. I learned a ton from there, especially because real car salesman actually post there.

boltz

I just looked up the Forester XT and it has a turbo! Hell yeah! Then I read it has a goddamn CVT. Nah, I'm out lol.

I feel ya, test drove an XT and the CVT killed the deal. But the '17 model was supposed to get some new transmission logic, so it's probably a little better now, but it's still a CVT.

Ugh.

soooooon

Why not move onto another dealer instead of dealing with that BS?

J-Rzez

Thanks again for the compliments. The exhaust of course i'm taking in all advice, contacted AMS to see if they can give me a window.

Love that Porsche. Wow.

So here's Livernois tune of a RS. No mods, no additional boost (so they said, within 2% parameters), stock (no bolt ons at all):
Focus%20RS%20Stage%202%2093_zpsbjmqikfo.png

Their next debate is to play with the boost up high to get that HP up there. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Also got my Rally Armor flaps and some Aeris floormats since the stock ones kinda suck. And I just love the flaps, save me against some spray and chips for sure in the past. Got some more Wolfgang stuff as well as 303 for the interior. Also, of course, Chem Guys Stripper Scent for when the new car smell wears off, and to spray down the RDX since it's got a little odor to it.

boltz

Thanks again for the compliments. The exhaust of course i'm taking in all advice, contacted AMS to see if they can give me a window.

Love that Porsche. Wow.

So here's Livernois tune of a RS. No mods, no additional boost (so they said, within 2% parameters), stock (no bolt ons at all):
Focus%20RS%20Stage%202%2093_zpsbjmqikfo.png

Their next debate is to play with the boost up high to get that HP up there. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Also got my Rally Armor flaps and some Aeris floormats since the stock ones kinda suck. And I just love the flaps, save me against some spray and chips for sure in the past. Got some more Wolfgang stuff as well as 303 for the interior. Also, of course, Chem Guys Stripper Scent for when the new car smell wears off, and to spray down the RDX since it's got a little odor to it.

Hot damn, those are some crazy gains for just a tune. Although I've heard that the RS already is close to its limits in terms of power, so I wonder if those numbers are sustainable.

Donos

We said "fuk it" to buying a used car with already 100k km on the clock and are now going to build a new Skoda Fabia (Ambition) Station Wagon. EU import so we save around 4k € compared to ordering at a normal skoda vendor here. 110 hp with DCT (automatic).
Wait for it is going to kill me.

Same color, other rims:

Peasant Car GAF reporting back. After 4 months, we got our import car. Very happy with it. The DCT is very smooth and although it's compact and has "only" 110 HP, the engine has a nice sound. Looking forward to drive 2 months through Scandinavia with it in our vacation. Going to add glass tinting to all the back glass and add maybe bigger rims later.

No Love

Banned
Whats everyone's thoughts on an E39 530i? I've found one for sale for 5k with just under 130k on the odo and I'm pretty tempted. Another person is selling a E39 M5 for 14k with 127k on the clock, but from the little I've heard the M5 can be a bitch maintenance wise.

Both cars are really good. I have both an M5 and a 530i. If you can afford tbe M5 and get a PPI, get it. The 530i doesn't come close but is still an amazing car. FWIW if you're near SoCal I'll sell my 103k mile 1 owner 530i for $5k. :p

Stinkles

I feel ya, test drove an XT and the CVT killed the deal. But the '17 model was supposed to get some new transmission logic, so it's probably a little better now, but it's still a CVT.

Why not move onto another dealer instead of dealing with that BS?

Because it's the least awful dealer in the state and walking distance from my house.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
F-Type R AWD drag races 991.2 Turbo S. You won't believe the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZeEnoWk9g

Well knowing you posted this...what's not to believe? This isn't the first time that races and numbers have shown these exact results. Hahaha.

And why are we even comparing the two? The Turbo S has more advertised power, more actual power, a lot less weight and also costs $100,000 more than the F-Type. The two cars aren't even in the same realm. And the cost difference separates them by two car realms, which reflects in the race.

For what the Turbo S costs, I'd rather get the GT3 and save the coin.

matmanx1

My friend traded is Huracan for a 991 GT3RS because he thought it was a far better and more focused driver's car. I also might have whispered a few things into his ear. :D

I helped him find the car, negotiate a favorable deal, and saved him a shit ton of money so he let me drive it home. What an absolute beast. God Damn. It's razor sharp ready to attack corners at all times. Throttle is super sensitive,and it has the best auto transmission I've ever used in my life. Far beyond the competition. The motor/exhaust is actually more quite and smooth than my GT4 under 4K RPMs. It really wakes up after that. Only revved it to 6500 because of break in, but it was so tempting to take it to 8800. It wants and encourages you to drive it hard. Sounds epic under tunnels. We're taking it to the track at the end of the month. Can't wait to open it up and exploit it's capabilities because you certainly can't do that on the street.

jXGGUxH.jpg

iqh9zFc.jpg

NNqoGOF.jpg

Wow, sometimes I wonder what it must be like to live in Evo X's world where amazing automotive specimens are a daily occurrence! You live an amazing life (from a car guy's perspective, anyway) my friend. Keep on sharing the good stuff!

Peasant Car GAF reporting back. After 4 months, we got our import car. Very happy with it. The DCT is very smooth and although it's compact and has "only" 110 HP, the engine has a nice sound. Looking forward to drive 2 months through Scandinavia with it in our vacation. Going to add glass tinting to all the back glass and add maybe bigger rims later.

Congrats! Fellow CarGaf peasant here giving you props for a good looking ride. Enjoy it in good health!

matmanx1

Well knowing you posted this...what's not to believe? This isn't the first time that races and numbers have shown these exact results. Hahaha.

And why are we even comparing the two? The Turbo S has more advertised power, more actual power, a lot less weight and also costs $100,000 more than the F-Type. The two cars aren't even in the same realm. And the cost difference separates them by two car realms, which reflects in the race.

For what the Turbo S costs, I'd rather get the GT3 and save the coin.

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of comparison this is except to brag on the 911's superlative numbers. With that kind of price difference, the 911 Turbo S darn well better be amazing. The better comparison would be to take the F-Type SVR and put it against whatever 911 costs about the same (The F-Type SVR seems to msrp at about 125k here in the USA so a lightly optioned Carrera 4S at 110k might be the best comparison?) I'm betting the numbers would be a lot closer in that case.

So after speaking to a local shop that deals with a lot of the racing teams (circuit, and drift) I might just be doing some 1JZ engine things over the winter. I just need to pick up a downpipe, fuel pump, and Power FC, and I can get a pro tune.

I've already spent wayyyyy too much on this Chaser (because I love it). I have a new set of coilovers on the way. I also ordered my new body kit. Once I decide on a hood, it's going in for paint over the winter.

My mom bought a '15 Sentra and is perfectly happy with it. It takes her from point A to point B, has a decent stereo and will likely live longer than she will. I owned a Sentra, a 200SX SE-R and an Altima in the 90s and they were all fantastic cars. A 2001 Sentra SE saved my wife's life when she was rear-ended at 40mph. I wouldn't buy either today because they are both built to a price and don't carry any of the DNA of what made Nissan great in the past.

Dynamically the Sentra is behind almost every other compact car out there. Don't take my word for it.

Your spelling leads me to believe you're in Canada, so I don't know how pricing will differ compared to the US. But I was looking to keep it under $20k, I'd take the lowest rung Mazda 3 or Civic over any Sentra or Altima.

Stinkles

What does AutoGaf think of brown upholstery? I like it because it makes the inside of the car feel like a Victorian office and justifies a driving monocle, and hides certain types of fluff and crumbs, but the only thing holding me back is resale desirability. Here's what I'm looking at specifically.

zfpGhQD.jpg

What does AutoGaf think of brown upholstery? I like it because it makes the inside of the car feel like a Victorian office and justifies a driving monocle, and hides certain types of fluff and crumbs, but the only thing holding me back is resale desirability. Here's what I'm looking at specifically.

zfpGhQD.jpg

I had a dark brown (cloth) Volvo 240 for years. The right combination of an actual color but not too easy to get dirty.

It's making a comeback. Even Corollas come in brown interiors again. Do it.

tbm24

Hoping to have some insight on my 15' WRX. ITS a little over a year old already but I only have about 5600 miles on it. Very lightly driven. Lately I've noticed that when I change gears(its a manual), the digital gear indicator on the tach will show the wrong gear. If I shift up it will on random occasions still show 2 and not 3. Same thing happens with a down shift once in a while. I've tried googling this behavior but haven't found anything that talks about it yet. Wondering if anyone has any ideas and if I should be concerned.

Should add that the car drives fine when this happens but when I see it I freak out a little and start shifting again until it show the correct gear.

kennah

Thanks guys. I'll look into the Civic. Hoping to get something I can just let the kids have in 10 years when they're driving.

SLV

Hoping to have some insight on my 15' WRX. ITS a little over a year old already but I only have about 5600 miles on it. Very lightly driven. Lately I've noticed that when I change gears(its a manual), the digital gear indicator on the tach will show the wrong gear. If I shift up it will on random occasions still show 2 and not 3. Same thing happens with a down shift once in a while. I've tried googling this behavior but haven't found anything that talks about it yet. Wondering if anyone has any ideas and if I should be concerned.

Should add that the car drives fine when this happens but when I see it I freak out a little and start shifting again until it show the correct gear.

Maybe a ECU update at your dealer service fixes it ? otherwise, no clue

J-Rzez

Hot damn, those are some crazy gains for just a tune. Although I've heard that the RS already is close to its limits in terms of power, so I wonder if those numbers are sustainable.

Well they tracked the car just fine at those power levels, so the GNK Twinster RDU probably has more robustness than people think. There's always a weak link in cars like these though, maybe the RDU is it, maybe it's something else. That's why I'm waiting for someone else to break their car to find out what it is before I go all in LOL.

The thing that gets me is how much TQ this thing makes. I mean stock you can tell there's some pull in it. But with the tunes I'm seeing so far, it's pretty wild seeing it surpass other's NA/FI V6/V8s.

Funny thing is to me at least is that this car was made for handling. It just so happens to be pretty quick too.

I had a 15 WRX and I had that issue early on. I had them reflash the car because the ignition at times wouldn't turn over, or would turn too long to start, and ever since then I haven't had an issue though I'd suspect something unrelated more so.

Have you taken it in for the recalls on the flash?

Look what Matt LeBlanc picked up:
Matt-LeBlanc-Ford-Focus-RS.png

http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/2016/07/matt-leblanc-ford-focus-rs/?utm_source=feedburner

Top Bottom