• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Goddamn dealers can be rude and short sighted. Not only am I going to their rival but that one stupid salesman cost his company my present and future business and anyone else I talk to.

All he had to do was politely accept the offer (he was probably losing like two hundred dollars commission) but he had to be a dick about it.

Evo X

Goddamn dealers can be rude and short sighted. Not only am I going to their rival but that one stupid salesman cost his company my present and future business and anyone else I talk to.

All he had to do was politely accept the offer (he was probably losing like two hundred dollars commission) but he had to be a dick about it.

I am honestly thinking about starting my own dealership to do things differently. I am so tired of the typical bullshit experience most people have.

It would be focused on long term relationships with auto enthusiasts instead of short term gain and fucking people over.

Also, give me the opportunity to try out a large variety of awesome cars without having to pay tax and registration on all of them. I'd be happy with a modest profit.

Jackson

I am honestly thinking about starting my own dealership to do things differently. I am so tired of the typical bullshit experience most people have.

It would be focused on long term relationships with auto enthusiasts instead of short term gain and fucking people over.

Also, give me the opportunity to try out a large variety of awesome cars without having to pay tax and registration on all of them. I'd be happy with a modest profit.

Ever heard of Brett David? Took over Prestige Imports in Florida when he was 19 from is dead dad. The dealer is now the biggest Lambo and Audi dealer in the US. He's a go getter.

Yeah, tbh I'd love to see something like this. From my experience at least, the decent dealerships are the luxury brands and not the regular brands instead. It's ridiculous that a gap like this has to exist... customer service should be the same whatever brand you're buying.

Also, shameless plug here, but if you need a guy to take photographs and videos of the listings, you know where to find me haha.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My Fiesta ST lease is up in November, so I'm looking at my next car. I'm gonna buy this time, and my budget is around £20k tops. Looking at getting one of the following second hand:

- Peugeot RCZ R
- Toyota GT86 Aero
- Porsche Cayman S
- Focus ST
- Audi TT
- Nissan 370Z

In terms of looks, style and running costs, the Peugeot is coming out on top every time for me. Beautiful car, 270bhp and 40mpg.

Does anyone own any of these cars and is willing to provide their thoughts?

The Porsche you'd get for 20K would be far too high mileage to be a contender, and likely not quite as reliable, and will involve more maintenance than you'd care for. A plain jane Audi TT is a pretty dull car (I've had them as loaners back in NYC) and I've also had the more fun TT-S, which was actually a fun car. But neither Audi compared to the fun of my 370Z. $20K will get you a nice loaded model. Get a model with Nav, because the interiors without them look pretty awful, they are two separate center consoles and the nav version really completes the look of the interior. I really loved it. The Audi's interior looked outdated by comparison.

The Z's biggest flaw is the love it-or-hate it manual transmission. It requires a steady leg and finesse to get a hang of...but it was my first ever MT car and I drove it like a pro within a couple of weeks. The on-off clutch is what takes time to get used to, but it's limited room to slip is also what allows the OEM clutches to last damn near 80K-100K until needing replacement. It's shocking how many of my Z friends went 75K miles when selling their cars with OEM clutches! A friend of mine put 115K on his OEM 350Z clutch.

The GT86, I was never a big fan of. Too slow, has reliability issues now with the 'death crickets' and such, underpowered, and a rather lame duck interior. The Ford and Peugeot I have no experience with at all.

Makki

The GT86, I was never a big fan of. Too slow, has reliability issues now with the 'death crickets' and such, underpowered, and a rather lame duck interior. The Ford and Peugeot I have no experience with at all.

It has shit power but the crickets are in no way "death" ones. Unless you mean death by those who killed themselves after going insane from hearing them, they are just an annoyance with no effect on performance or longevity of the engine.

GHG

Hi motorgaf. Any Alfa owners here? I have been looking for a new car (my first car, even) and this used Alfa GTV just has my name on it. Im kinda wary of their infamy of breaking down though.

The seller lists it as needing a new generator belt, injectord and that the suspension(not sure if thats the proper word) needing "some" work.

this will turn out as a huge time/money sink right?

Your spoiler is correct. The current owner is doing you a favour by outlining that it will be a money sink before you buy it. Most sellers won't be so kind. Don't touch a used Alpha unless it's under warranty.

What's your budget so that we can suggest some suitable cars?

My Fiesta ST lease is up in November, so I'm looking at my next car. I'm gonna buy this time, and my budget is around £20k tops. Looking at getting one of the following second hand:

- Peugeot RCZ R
- Toyota GT86 Aero
- Porsche Cayman S
- Focus ST
- Audi TT
- Nissan 370Z

In terms of looks, style and running costs, the Peugeot is coming out on top every time for me. Beautiful car, 270bhp and 40mpg.

Does anyone own any of these cars and is willing to provide their thoughts?

Out of those, the 370z or the Cayman. The Peugot looks nice but it's still a Peugot and will continue to depreciate like shit.

I hear you. I must say that I also thought the same thing about the headhunting business but I can tell you that 6 months after setting up my own business in general people don't give a shit about service levels and see it as transactional. This is why so there is so much shit in markets like real estate, car dealerships and headhunting... Not enough customers actually care enough hence all the people who offer a shit level of service can continue to get away with it and make decent sums of money.

Everyone likes to complain about it but not enough people actually take a stand and avoid the shit ones for it to be effective. If the pricing and product is right people are willing to put up with shit in a lot of cases unfortunately. It drives me mad.

FStop7

Banned

You could probably find a salesperson from a dealer who participates on an Audi forum and go through them. They're usually far more savvy about pricing and easier to work with.

J-Rzez

When I was looking for my RS I called one dealer and when I said I wasn't paying $5k mark up he said "oh, you're not the serious enthusiast you claim to be then" and when I said to give me a call if/when they can't sell it for mark up he told me "don't worry, we'll see it, and we can get by without your type of business" or something to that effect.

I like how the GM of the dealership I bought from told me that the dealer network chatrooms they all agreed to sell the RS at a $5-10k mark up that way some dealership will get someone desperate for the car would have to pay out the ass. Fucking scumbags. You want a boring people mover, you have a 50/50 chance of having a bad experience. You want an enthusiast limited production vehicle? Those odds rise exponentially you're going to get a bunch of pricks or you're going to have to bring a really soft and nice smelling pillow to bite.

I mean I know someone else personally trying to get a RS and the dealership they bought literally 8 cars from over the past 12 years isn't removing the mark up.

I don't know what I did in life to get this car without ADM, but I imagine I spent a lot of karma points on it...

Hey uhh so Manabu Orido linked a Japanese article purporting to give details on the Toyota/BMW probably still vaporware sportscar. Orido links to random crap like bootleg YouTube copies of Best Motoring clips (I think it's Orido's actual account though) and the Japanese auto press is just a complete shit show full of speculation, so this info is pretty useless, but still:

http://carislife.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/07/13/225643

Toyota:
Flagship sports car slotting in above the GT86
Based on the FT-1
Will be revealed in the later half of 2017 for a 2018 fall release
2 engines, 4-cylinder turbo or inline 6 turbo+hybrid
4-cyl 200-255ps, 6-cyl 340ps
4-cyl $40-50,000 6-cyl $80,000

Again this info is 99% likely bullshit, but those horsepower and prices are both crazy low!

Pinewood

Your spoiler is correct. The current owner is doing you a favour by outlining that it will be a money sink before you buy it. Most sellers won't be so kind. Don't touch a used Alpha unless it's under warranty.

What's your budget so that we can suggest some suitable cars?
Well the Alfa is going for 800 euro down from 1800 (not that it shows anything) So I guess around 1k short term? Thought about getting a lease on a moderately used car but it would make sense to wait until my traing/rookie period ends with my new employer, which is in November.

Its not that I NEED a car but it would make getting to work waay easier, especially when the weather is bad. I currently either walk 30min or take the bus for the same time.

Thats why the Alfa is so damn tempting. I can get it now, get the "proper" Alfa experience and then change cars at the end of the year. Did I tell you its dark red with light interior?

GHG

Well the Alfa is going for 800 euro down from 1800 (not that it shows anything) So I guess around 1k short term? Thought about getting a lease on a moderately used car but it would make sense to wait until my traing/rookie period ends with my new employer, which is in November.

Its not that I NEED a car but it would make getting to work waay easier, especially when the weather is bad. I currently either walk 30min or take the bus for the same time.

Thats why the Alfa is so damn tempting. I can get it now, get the "proper" Alfa experience and then change cars at the end of the year. Did I tell you its dark red with light interior?

Dude, it doesn't matter how the car looks etc. You will end up putting more money into the car than it's worth. It's not what you want to be doing, especially for your first car. For 800 euros you can get a fairly decent older German hatchback like a polo or a golf and it should end up being reliable in all the aspects that matter (the trim/paint might be a bit dodgy but that doesn't matter for your first car).

My first car was a £300 VW polo and it lasted me 3 years through university and I didn't need to put a penny into it other than annual MOT's and servicing. That enabled me to save up money to then get a proper car after I graduated. The only experience you will end up getting is one that potentially cripples you financially and prevents you from having the money to get what you really want later down the line.

My recommendation would be to look at getting something like a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol VW golf/polo/lupo for the money. Make sure it has the service history etc and check for rust but other than that you should be golden as those engines are fairly bullet proof. Either that or go Japanese. Something like an older Honda Civic should be attainable within that budget.

Dude, it doesn't matter how the car looks etc. You will end up putting more money into the car than it's worth. It's not what you want to be doing, especially for your first car. For 800 euros you can get a fairly decent older German hatchback like a polo or a golf and it should end up being reliable in all the aspects that matter (the trim/paint might be a bit dodgy but that doesn't matter for your first car).

My first car was a £300 VW polo and it lasted me 3 years through university and I didn't need to put a penny into it other than annual MOT's and servicing. That enabled me to save up money to then get a proper car after I graduated. The only experience you will end up getting is one that potentially cripples you financially and prevents you from having the money to get what you really want later down the line.

This is sound advice.

mkenyon

Banned

I would buy all my future fun cars from you. Find me an Evo X, Evo X.

matmanx1

The world could definitely use more dealerships like this. Customer service and those who care about it are somewhat of a dying breed. Where it used to be the norm to expect folks to be polite, respectful and at least somewhat trustworthy in terms of business transactions that is sadly not the way of the world anymore. Especially in terms of car buying.

Yeah, tbh I'd love to see something like this. From my experience at least, the decent dealerships are the luxury brands and not the regular brands instead. It's ridiculous that a gap like this has to exist... customer service should be the same whatever brand you're buying.

Also, shameless plug here, but if you need a guy to take photographs and videos of the listings, you know where to find me haha.

Yeah, from my (albeit limited) experience with Hennessy Porsche in North Georgia, they are a classy dealership who is very serious about treating people right. When I was still a Barnes and Noble employee making $10.50 an hour I took a drive up there and spent some time looking at pre-owned Boxsters before I bought mine. The internet sales rep (who is still there, btw) was kind, considerate and patient with me and let me drive both a 986 and a 987 car and then proceeded to show me how they could be driven (holy cow, what an experience).

And he didn't even laugh at me when I told him what my budget was! ;-)

Over the years I've heard nothing but good things about them and bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend or family member. I don't know if that kind of experience is typical in luxury dealerships but I sure did appreciate it.

rokkerkory

This is the exact scheme I'm going to look at today. Moonlight blue metallic, nougat brown. I added the walnut burl which is a tad overkill for that design.

How dare you get an Audi Stinkles!

The new Audi's are reportedly not very fun to drive. Transmission is lackluster as well. Don't do it!

Do it!

Also provide nationwide shipping options.

mkenyon

Banned

The new Audi's are reportedly not very fun to drive. Transmission is lackluster as well. Don't do it!
So you mean they're still Audis then?

I've always been baffled by praise for them. All the driver's inputs have felt vague and overly simulator-ish in every Audi I've driven.

Most fun I ever had in a car was in a 2005 FWD (!) Audi A6 2.4 V6 sedan. Though it was equipped with Koni FSD suspension. My dad worked at Koni at the time. The things I could do with that car on the local roundabouts...

The stakes are always a little higher in a RWD car. Because I'm a fairly responsible driver, I tend to not push my luck with those quite as much as I did with that Audi.

Stinkles

I had tremendous fun driving it. Steering was tight and responsive, the weird (new for 2017) dual clutch 7 speed shifter thing felt natural, never missed a beat. Fantastic torque throughout the band. And a cabin you could host the G4 summit in. And 5.7 seconds to 60 is way more than I need, and stunning (to me) for a four pot turbo in a four door luxury sedan.

J-Rzez

So before I pull the trigger on this, who here has long term experience with Xpel and clear film protectants? The only one's I'm used to is that 3M low tier stuff that clouds and doesn't protect nearly as well as what I hear of the Xpel stuff.

Is it worth the cost? Does it protect well? And how does it hold up long term as far as clarity, looks, and self healing?

Ovid

Hey uhh so Manabu Orido linked a Japanese article purporting to give details on the Toyota/BMW probably still vaporware sportscar. Orido links to random crap like bootleg YouTube copies of Best Motoring clips (I think it's Orido's actual account though) and the Japanese auto press is just a complete shit show full of speculation, so this info is pretty useless, but still:

Toyota:
Based on the FT-1

Again this info is 99% likely bullshit, but those horsepower and prices are both crazy low!
It's Toyota, I'm not surprised.

Toyota:
Based on the FT-1

Sounds interesting, but that's used GTR territory for me price wise. Makes it hard to get excited about.

Evo X

So before I pull the trigger on this, who here has long term experience with Xpel and clear film protectants? The only one's I'm used to is that 3M low tier stuff that clouds and doesn't protect nearly as well as what I hear of the Xpel stuff.

Is it worth the cost? Does it protect well? And how does it hold up long term as far as clarity, looks, and self healing?

XPEL is fantastic stuff. Had it on my GTS and now GT4. Have plenty of friends who have their cars wrapped as well.

It's so much better than what clear bras used to be. Invisible if done well, and you can maintain it just like paint.

If you plan on keeping the car a while, it makes sense as an investment. Paint becomes almost impervious to rock chips. Did not notice any damage after the 2,500 mile road trip across America.

You don't have to wrap the whole car. Just get the high impact areas like front bumper, hood, mirrors, side skirts, A pillars, and fenders covered.

kharma45

The Porsche you'd get for 20K would be far too high mileage to be a contender, and likely not quite as reliable, and will involve more maintenance than you'd care for. A plain jane Audi TT is a pretty dull car (I've had them as loaners back in NYC) and I've also had the more fun TT-S, which was actually a fun car. But neither Audi compared to the fun of my 370Z. $20K will get you a nice loaded model. Get a model with Nav, because the interiors without them look pretty awful, they are two separate center consoles and the nav version really completes the look of the interior. I really loved it. The Audi's interior looked outdated by comparison.

The Z's biggest flaw is the love it-or-hate it manual transmission. It requires a steady leg and finesse to get a hang of...but it was my first ever MT car and I drove it like a pro within a couple of weeks. The on-off clutch is what takes time to get used to, but it's limited room to slip is also what allows the OEM clutches to last damn near 80K-100K until needing replacement. It's shocking how many of my Z friends went 75K miles when selling their cars with OEM clutches! A friend of mine put 115K on his OEM 350Z clutch.

£20K though would get you a Boxter that hasn't been to the moon and back

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=5

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=2

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=3

Cayman wise, you're going back another few years but most have sensible miles http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/...t/sort/default/onesearchad/new,nearlynew,used

Depends on what you deem to be high mileage.

J-Rzez

XPEL is fantastic stuff. Had it on my GTS and now GT4. Have plenty of friends who have their cars wrapped as well.

It's so much better than what clear bras used to be. Invisible if done well, and you can maintain it just like paint.

If you plan on keeping the car a while, it makes sense as an investment. Paint becomes almost impervious to rock chips. Did not notice any damage after the 2,500 mile road trip across America.

You don't have to wrap the whole car. Just get the high impact areas like front bumper, hood, mirrors, side skirts, A pillars, and fenders covered.

Thanks. I'm going to a shop to see what they can do for a custom 304 TIG weld exhaust for me on Wed (as of now), they also do Xpel and are pretty reputable for it in the area.

13701086_10157681311795355_4994368537342043678_o.jpg

The RCZ R is still coming out on top for me. Stunning from every angle, 270bhp, 40+mpg.

I don't know what it is, but German cars just don't do it for me. I quite like some Audis - R8 and RS4 for example - but I just can't get excited over a BMW, VW or even a Porsche.

I don't think I can afford the fuel for a 370Z, and the GT86 seems like a less appealing purchase every time I read up on it.

Wish I could combine the torque and creature comforts of the Fiesta ST, the RWD of the GT86, reliability and residual value of the Porsche and everything else on the Peugeot. Somebody make that for me?

Stinkles

It's a bummer that we don't get more European cars in the States. Every tie I go abroad, hell, even to Mexico, I see awesome Peugeots, Citroens, even Seats and so on. Bums me out we can't at least laugh at their uglier efforts or enjoy the quirky designs.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't know about dated interior. The infotainment, probably.

I can't imagine it's ride being any worse than a 370Z, BRZ, Cayman, or Focus ST.

It's a bummer that we don't get more European cars in the States. Every tie I go abroad, hell, even to Mexico, I see awesome Peugeots, Citroens, even Seats and so on. Bums me out we can't at least laugh at their uglier efforts or enjoy the quirky designs.

Enjoyed seeing all the stuff we don't get when I visited Iceland. Everything is either a small hatchback/wagon or a Land Cruiser. Lots of VW/Skoda, and really, really love Corollas.

kharma45

From reading a few of our reviews, say goodbye to your fillings

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...ru/subaru-wrx-sti-2016-long-term-test-review/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/subaru/wrx-sti/ride

Focus ST, whilst firm, is not uncomfortable http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/focus-st/ride our focus isn't the same as you guys get. Suspension is usually set up differently, same with a lot of cars

Enjoyed seeing all the stuff we don't get when I visited Iceland. Everything is either a small hatchback/wagon or a Land Cruiser. Lots of VW/Skoda, and really, really love Corollas.

Corolla name has been dead for years now, all about the Auris. Awful name and fairly middling car.

Evo X

Got an invite to check out the Aston Martin DB10 and DB11 in person tomorrow. They want me to call to confirm the appointment.

I really need a YouTube channel so I could share stuff like this properly instead of taking a few crappy cell phone pics and posting short impressions on a forum.

Corolla name has been dead for years now, all about the Auris. Awful name and fairly middling car.

After one year as the Scion iM, the Auris is about to be called the 'Corolla iM' here. Which is another way of Toyota really, really doesn't want to use the Matrix name again :\

mkenyon

Banned
Got an invite to check out the Aston Martin DB10 and DB11 in person tomorrow. They want me to call to confirm the appointment.

I really need a YouTube channel so I could share stuff like this properly instead of taking a few crappy cell phone pics and posting short impressions on a forum.
Stop saying it and labeouf.gif

Who knows, you might take off and then you can finally attain
your mom's approval
the Ferrari.

burgerdog

What are you waiting for!? Go buy a couple of go pro4s and start recording that shit, man!

sawgmwrtirkmfkhmyoht.jpg

Soon, hopefully.

Oh wow make those wheels a reasonable size and lower it and you got something special there.

Speaking of downsizing proportions to a car's benefit, I always liked Chargers but damn they are huge. Just a freaking boat. I wonder what a 4/5 scale copy like Toyota and Mitsubishi used to make of muscle cars back in the day would look like now?

J-Rzez

I don't know about dated interior. The infotainment, probably.

I can't imagine it's ride being any worse than a 370Z, BRZ, Cayman, or Focus ST.

The infotainment system isn't good on the WRX, or, any Subaru imho. Just like sound quality. Some day maybe Subaru will make a good sound stock stereo lol.

Ride quality on my 15 WRX was good. Much better damped than my Evo. I was fine with it on long trips and I have a really bad back.

IMHO the WRX is the best bang for the buck sub-$30k car out there for someone looking for something sporty, safe, and usable year round.

Stinkles

That is gorgeous. Why isn't that sold here?

Not sure, Mazda's bandwidth, but if it doesn't come in AWD it can't really compete with Subaru. It would have been on my list just for aesthetics.

BTW I bit the bullet and my new car is on a train from Houston. I wasn't in a hurry, but now that the deed is done I literally can't wait for it to get here.

Evo X

Not sure, Mazda's bandwidth, but if it doesn't come in AWD it can't really compete with Subaru. It would have been on my list just for aesthetics.

BTW I bit the bullet and my new car is on a train from Houston. I wasn't in a hurry, but now that the deed is done I literally can't wait for it to get here.

Sweet. Congrats!

Anion

Mercedes will never say that. What Benz is it again?

I also don't think you should wait 13 days to get a nail removed, btw. The longer you wait, the more damage you can do to a tire. I'd find a decent tire shop like a Discount Tire and have them repair it.

And patching has no impact a tire's tread life, don't worry.

I have scheduled for the check up this Wednesday. Its just such an inconvenience and worry. My car doesn't even have a spare tire lol

It is a 2015 CLA 250 sport+, so it has the AMG suspension, steering system, an aggressive shift tune, and nicer exhaust (not the epic AMG one though lol)

I do regret not shelling a few thousand more and settling for less options for the full AMG 45 though, that thing is a beast.

burgerdog

Congrats, my buddy picked one up about 3 months ago and the interior is gorgeous. I wasn't feeling the b9 when it first debuted but it's a great looking car in person. Enjoy the new ride!

That is gorgeous. Why isn't that sold here?

Blame the US government.

IIRC, the Mazda 6 wagon has too long of a wheelbase to be still considered a sedan or whatever and it falls under the SUV category so it has more stringent rules in terms of fuel economy among other things.

I'll see if I can find a source for it but I definitely remember reading about it a few years ago when they announced the Skyactiv 6.

Top Bottom