• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

boltz

I saw the Mazda 6 wagon in Iceland. An AWD version of that would do gangbusters in the Pacific Northwest.

That is one sexy car. I saw one of the new CX-9s the other day on the road for the first time and that thing is pretty slick looking as well.

The infotainment system isn't good on the WRX, or, any Subaru imho. Just like sound quality. Some day maybe Subaru will make a good sound stock stereo lol.

Ride quality on my 15 WRX was good. Much better damped than my Evo. I was fine with it on long trips and I have a really bad back.

IMHO the WRX is the best bang for the buck sub-$30k car out there for someone looking for something sporty, safe, and usable year round.

Yup, the WRX is a damn good performance deal (especially considering the resale values), but I just hate how you can't get a smart key entry system on one until the MSRP is north of $34k.

Blame the US government.

IIRC, the Mazda 6 wagon has too long of a wheelbase to be still considered a sedan or whatever and it falls under the SUV category so it has more stringent rules in terms of fuel economy among other things.

I'll see if I can find a source for it but I definitely remember reading about it a few years ago when they announced the Skyactiv 6.

I always thought that it was lack of demand. The TSX and CTS wagons didn't stick around for very long and no mainstream manufacturer seems to have any interest in bringing any existing models from overseas if they have one. For the average person, why would they take a wagon when they could get a CUV?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Congrats, my buddy picked one up about 3 months ago and the interior is gorgeous. I wasn't feeling the b9 when it first debuted but it's a great looking car in person. Enjoy the new ride!

Yeah, to a certain degree, I am buying the "inside" of a car anyway. Long commute and many long road trips. Wanted a quiet lounge that I can take phone calls and do Skype meetings in, as well as a comfy chair.

The engine however is kind of revelatory - it goes way faster than it should.

matmanx1

Steve Sutcliffe from Auto Express posted his review of the 718 Cayman S.

Conclusion: Highly impressive car. Improved in many ways, but does not makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up like the 981 GTS. If it was his money, he would still go for the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dUM0GG8CY

Interesting. I wonder if this is going to be an actual problem for Porsche or one of those situations like the changeover from air cooling to water cooling where enthusiasts had a big problem with it but the average customer did not and sales actually increased.

Blame the US government.

IIRC, the Mazda 6 wagon has too long of a wheelbase to be still considered a sedan or whatever and it falls under the SUV category so it has more stringent rules in terms of fuel economy among other things.

I'll see if I can find a source for it but I definitely remember reading about it a few years ago when they announced the Skyactiv 6.

The reverse is actually true - you would want something like this (with good economy) to fit into your Light Truck CAFE bucket, whose target mileage is much lower than for passenger cars. This has been going on for decades, it's the exact ploy used by Chrysler with the PT Cruiser.

GHG

Interesting. I wonder if this is going to be an actual problem for Porsche or one of those situations like the changeover from air cooling to water cooling where enthusiasts had a big problem with it but the average customer did not and sales actually increased.

Lol have you seen the average Porshe consumer?

This won't be a problem unfortunately.

Presco

So, I've given up on the dream of a tenure track faculty position and decided to jump ship to the corporate world from academia. Sold my academic soul for money and happy to do so (there's no tenure track faculty positions for postdocs).

Starting a new job that comes with a couple of options for company car and I'm a bit torn on what to take. Need to order this week.

Currently own a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport and lease a 2015 Mazda 3 Sport (I love these cars), but will be getting rid of the lease when I get the company car.

My options:

Audi Q3 - FWD base version
Volvo XC60 - FWD T5 base version
VW Tiguan - AWD version
Subaru Outback - AWD version, obviously

I'm in Canada and I've always used FWD cars. I have had no problem in the winter with a good pair of winter tires so I don't feel AWD is a necessity. These cars will come with all gas, maintenance, and insurance included, but any personal use will be a taxable benefit. I'm leaning towards the Volvo for space and safety reasons (we have a 2.5 year old and another on the way), but it's also the most expensive and will result in the highest bill at tax time. I'm ok with that.

Job will require driving clients periodically but mostly personal travelling between a couple of different hospitals in the greater Toronto and surrounding area. I've only sat in the Volvo and Audi, and the Volvo seats win out by a mile. If I'm sitting in traffic, this seems to be the biggest concern.

Any input? I'm obviously strongly leaning Volvo but wouldn't mind second opinions. It's kind of awkward timing since I think all of these vehicles are due for a significant refresh in the very near future as well and I'll be stuck with whatever I choose for a few years.

I always thought that it was lack of demand. The TSX and CTS wagons didn't stick around for very long and no mainstream manufacturer seems to have any interest in bringing any existing models from overseas if they have one. For the average person, why would they take a wagon when they could get a CUV?

Yeah, this is one of the major reasons why nobody makes wagons anymore.

The reverse is actually true - you would want something like this (with good economy) to fit into your Light Truck CAFE bucket, whose target mileage is much lower than for passenger cars. This has been going on for decades, it's the exact ploy used by Chrysler with the PT Cruiser.

This is interesting. I've always heard what I said earlier so now I'm very intrigued. Got any sources for this? I'd love to read up on it.

GHG

So, I've given up on the dream of a tenure track faculty position and decided to jump ship to the corporate world from academia. Sold my academic soul for money and happy to do so (there's no tenure track faculty positions for postdocs).

Starting a new job that comes with a couple of options for company car and I'm a bit torn on what to take. Need to order this week.

Currently own a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport and lease a 2015 Mazda 3 Sport (I love these cars), but will be getting rid of the lease when I get the company car.

My options:

VW Tiguan - AWD version

I'm in Canada and I've always used FWD cars. I have had no problem in the winter with a good pair of winter tires so I don't feel AWD is a necessity. These cars will come with all gas, maintenance, and insurance included, but any personal use will be a taxable benefit. I'm leaning towards the Volvo for space and safety reasons (we have a 2.5 year old and another on the way), but it's also the most expensive and will result in the highest bill at tax time. I'm ok with that.

Job will require driving clients periodically but mostly personal travelling between a couple of different hospitals in the greater Toronto and surrounding area. I've only sat in the Volvo and Audi, and the Volvo seats win out by a mile. If I'm sitting in traffic, this seems to be the biggest concern.

Any input? I'm obviously strongly leaning Volvo but wouldn't mind second opinions. It's kind of awkward timing since I think all of these vehicles are due for a significant refresh in the very near future as well and I'll be stuck with whatever I choose for a few years.

Does the Tiguan on offer have the 2.0T engine?

If so get that, it's basically a Golf GTI in a small SUV form factor. It's the car that my wife uses for her daily driver and it's actually decent fun.

Presco

Does the Tiguan on offer have the 2.0T engine?

If so get that, it's basically a Golf GTI in a small SUV form factor. It's the car that my wife uses for her daily driver and it's actually decent fun.

Yeah, 2.0T engine. Exact same engine is also in the Q3.

grendelrt

I just hope it keeps the 981 from nose diving in the used market. I gotta get good money down the road so I can get a new 911 :p

GHG

Yeah, 2.0T engine. Exact same engine is also in the Q3.

Get the Tiguan then because of the AWD. The Tiguan and the Q3 are pretty much the same car. Same chasis, same engines but the Audi is more expensive because its an Audi.

Evo X

I just hope it keeps the 981 from nose diving in the used market. I gotta get good money down the road so I can get a new 911 :p

I think the 911 made the transition to turbos much better than the boxster and cayman did. I loved the 991.2 loaner I had. Don't know if I can say the same for the 718S extended drive. As fast as it was, the 4 banger does take away from the experience a bit, especially coming from a GT4.

grendelrt

I think the 911 made the transition to turbos much better than the boxster and cayman did. I loved the 991.2 loaner I had. Don't know if I can say the same for the 718S extended drive. As fast as it was, the 4 banger does take away from the experience a bit, especially coming from a GT4.

I think it being a flat 6 as base is what helps, dropping down to a 4 from a six was always going to hurt. After reading the reviews on the new base 991.2 I think I may be happy with it, before I figured if i ever moved up it would have to be a S or higher.

My options:

VW Tiguan - AWD version

Volvo would be my first choice as well, probably followed by the Subaru, as both are nice. Volvo would have a nicer interior than the Subaru, but probably cost more. I've driven an older Tiguan and I honestly wasn't a fan of it, don't know how much they've changed in the last 5 years though.

Stinkles

Volvo would be my first choice as well, probably followed by the Subaru, as both are nice. Volvo would have a nicer interior than the Subaru, but probably cost more. I've driven an older Tiguan and I honestly wasn't a fan of it, don't know how much they've changed in the last 5 years though.

Living in the Pacific Northwest means I would never get a FWD wagon. Why? Because of chain restrictions. I can drive like a champ in the snow with FWD, but legally you HAVE to put chains on FWD and RWD cars in lots of places, mostly mountain passes, and putting chains on your car in sleet and slush with frozen fingers as trucks thunder past you on the side of the highway, is the tenth circle of hell.

That "AWD" or "4x4" badge buys you permission to carry on truckin' as well as the actual traction benefits. Also, AWD has a significant benefit for resale value, across the board.

mkenyon

Banned
Living in the Pacific Northwest means I would never get a FWD wagon. Why? Because of chain restrictions. I can drive like a champ in the snow with FWD, but legally you HAVE to put chains on FWD and RWD cars in lots of places, mostly mountain passes, and putting chains on your car in sleet and slush with frozen fingers as trucks thunder past you on the side of the highway, is the tenth circle of hell.

That "AWD" or "4x4" badge buys you permission to carry on truckin' as well as the actual traction benefits. Also, AWD has a significant benefit for resale value, across the board.
This.

Before I moved over the mountains to Bend, the other major reason is because AWD feels so much better in the rain. You never have to baby the throttle, you can have fun year round.

My options:

VW Tiguan - AWD version

Biased because we own one, but I'd get the Outback. Historically they have been quite reliable, and AWD > FWD in this segment. It also has the largest cargo area.

And if you do, get the 7" Starlink - the 6.2" is unusable.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
GAF, I found this Mazdaspeed 6. Anything stick out to those knowledgeable from what little info can be gathered?

*edit*

Damn, sorry for the double post.

I was about to talk about how reilo (remember reilo?) had one and that it was falling apart on him after 70K miles. The car was barely drivable and he started servicing it very frequently fixing tons of shit...until the turbos went. And he traded it in for like $5K and got an M3.

And then I looked at where this car is located...Portland, OR. LOL. That may actually BE his car. It was traded just under 2 years back. The CarFax is VERY extensive with 34 records (even though I can't see what all of those records were for). Same color. Same year. The mileage is just around where it would be after 2 years. I actually think this might be reilo's old car.

Very curious to see the CarFax, but it's not available. But I'll text him right now to see if he can find his old VIN.

Do you still have to have chains with snow tires? Or is it one or the other?

I was about to talk about how reilo (remember reilo?) had one and that it was falling apart on him after 70K miles. The car was barely drivable and he started servicing it very frequently fixing tons of shit...until the turbos went. And he traded it in for like $5K and got an M3.

And then I looked at where this car is located...Portland, OR. LOL. That may actually BE his car. It was traded just under 2 years back. The CarFax is VERY extensive with 34 records (even though I can't see what all of those records were for). Same color. Same year. The mileage is just around where it would be after 2 years. I actually think this might be reilo's old car.

Very curious to see the CarFax, but it's not available. But I'll text him right now to see if he can find his old VIN.

giphy.gif

It'd be amazing if it turns out to be his.

AlphaSnake

giphy.gif

It'd be amazing if it turns out to be his.

Hahaha, unfortunately it's not his car. But he told me to tell you guys to stay away unless you're willing to commit your pockets to the car. They are very fussy vehicles and develop a horde of issues. He sank money into the car until he started hating it. When the turbo went, that was the end of it. The fix was too damn expensive.

Hahaha, unfortunately it's not his car. But he told me to tell you guys to stay away unless you're willing to commit your pockets to the car. They are very fussy vehicles and develop a horde of issues. He sank money into the car until he started hating it. When the turbo went, that was the end of it. The fix was too damn expensive.

As an owner of a ms6 I'd agree with that.

Stinkles

Do you still have to have chains with snow tires? Or is it one or the other?

Both. If they have chain restrictions, snow tires aren't enough. Snow tires are actually just what people from Wenatchee use to deliberately destroy road surfaces in Trump-Free civilization. So there are reverse snow tire restrictions that are date and location based. However our police are apparently profoundly deaf, so nobody gets ticketed despite sounding like God eating corn flakes in an aircraft hangar.

Both. If they have chain restrictions, snow tires aren't enough. Snow tires are actually just what people from Wenatchee use to deliberately destroy road surfaces in Trump-Free civilization. So there are reverse snow tire restrictions that are date and location based. However our police are apparently profoundly deaf, so nobody gets ticketed despite sounding like God eating corn flakes in an aircraft hangar.

Well, I meant like normal snow tires, not the studded ones. Does seem silly that just having awd is enough, even though most 2wd cars with proper tires would do better in snow than awd with all season tires.

Snow tires do make a huge difference. When I went on snowboarding trips, the first couple times I had to use chains. I eventually bought a set of snow tires and wish I had done so sooner. Though putting them on my S13 was a bad choice because it snow plows a bit because its so low.

Evo X

YOOOO, my F-Type SVR has landed!

Dealer just texted me some pics of it in the PDI bay. Same color scheme as my Cayman GTS. One of the first in the country.

UiScN6i.jpg

AuwHUGm.jpg

tiCuZ1V.jpg

2gHOXep.jpg

Stinkles

Well, I meant like normal snow tires, not the studded ones. Does seem silly that just having awd is enough, even though most 2wd cars with proper tires would do better in snow than awd with all season tires.

Snow tires do make a huge difference. When I went on snowboarding trips, the first couple times I had to use chains. I eventually bought a set of snow tires and wish I had done so sooner. Though putting them on my S13 was a bad choice because it snow plows a bit because its so low.

You mean winter tires!

GHG

Dealer just texted me some pics of it in the PDI bay. Same color scheme as my Cayman GTS. One of the first in the country.

UiScN6i.jpg

AuwHUGm.jpg

tiCuZ1V.jpg

2gHOXep.jpg

Wait what... Is this your new car? Did I miss the memo? You're not trading/selling your GT4 already are you?

Oh and start that youtube channel already will you to tell us what its like.

boltz

The current Tiguan model is pretty dated and is pretty limited in interior/cargo room compared to its competitors, but is due to be replaced with a new model for the 2017 model year. The Outback was redesigned for 2015 so is still pretty new. If you get one of the 3.6R models, the interior is a surprisingly nice place to be. The other two vehicles I have no clue about.

AuwHUGm.jpg

Pretty sweet ride. Out of curiosity I checked out the F-Type website and was surprised to see how slow the lower trim models were - 4.9 s 0-60 mph for an AWD 380 hp car? How is it not much faster than a WRX and about the same as my Evo?

GHG

Pretty sweet ride. Out of curiosity I checked out the F-Type website and was surprised to see how slow the lower trim models were - 4.9 s 0-60 mph for an AWD 380 hp car? How is it not much faster than a WRX and about the same as my Evo?

That's not the point of the F-Type.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_J1m3oOqtqc

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I6KFA7p7_aQ

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mEM2_WyXXvs

As discussed earlier in the thread... If you are using a car on public roads, how fast do you really need it to be? Anything under 5 seconds and you are faster than at least 90% of cars you will encounter on a daily basis.

Fuzzery

Don't know much about cars, but getting a new one. Only driven not so exciting cars really, know how to drive stick but only done it once or twice (would prefer automatic). Thinking of an BMW 1M or M3. Any suggestions?

Whats different between the 1m and m2

Pinewood

Dude, it doesn't matter how the car looks etc. You will end up putting more money into the car than it's worth. It's not what you want to be doing, especially for your first car. For 800 euros you can get a fairly decent older German hatchback like a polo or a golf and it should end up being reliable in all the aspects that matter (the trim/paint might be a bit dodgy but that doesn't matter for your first car).

My first car was a £300 VW polo and it lasted me 3 years through university and I didn't need to put a penny into it other than annual MOT's and servicing. That enabled me to save up money to then get a proper car after I graduated. The only experience you will end up getting is one that potentially cripples you financially and prevents you from having the money to get what you really want later down the line.

My recommendation would be to look at getting something like a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol VW golf/polo/lupo for the money. Make sure it has the service history etc and check for rust but other than that you should be golden as those engines are fairly bullet proof. Either that or go Japanese. Something like an older Honda Civic should be attainable within that budget.

I know this (this is pretty much spot on what my dad would say, lol), but I have this stupid fear that once I get older I will steer towards the safe options anyways. Not that there is anything wrong with getting yourself a Škoda Superb or the like, they are great cars, but since I dont have really pressing need regarding the car (I can always walk to work), I felt that for a first car I could go with a stupid option.

Presco

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I test drove the Subaru and VW last night and ended up ordering the Volvo this morning.

The VW and Audi were both too small for hauling two toddlers and all related travel necessities on weekends. The Q3 is especially tiny. The Subaru was definitely big enough and the AWD was a nice touch but the fit and finish in the XC 60 were too much to pass up. Winters in Toronto are fairly tame by Canadian standards so I'm really not worried about the lack of AWD in the Volvo vs the Subaru once I put on a pair of winter tires. No mountain passes necessary for me.

AlphaSnake

UiScN6i.jpg

AuwHUGm.jpg

tiCuZ1V.jpg

2gHOXep.jpg

Yeah, that's not one of the firsts. I posted SVR pics 3-4 weeks ago and even that one wasn't one of the firsts, as my dealer had already sold one prior to the one I saw.

AlphaSnake

The current Tiguan model is pretty dated and is pretty limited in interior/cargo room compared to its competitors, but is due to be replaced with a new model for the 2017 model year. The Outback was redesigned for 2015 so is still pretty new. If you get one of the 3.6R models, the interior is a surprisingly nice place to be. The other two vehicles I have no clue about.

Jaguar's 0-60 numbers are very conservative. Also, Subarus can be launched hard, but run out of breath quick. The F-Type will completely outrun an STi by the time they both reach 70. Even a base V6 with 340HP felt quicker than an STi.

Also, I'm pretty sure trap-speeds on the 380HP S-model are 8-9MPH faster than an STi, which is like a 10 bus gap.

matmanx1

UiScN6i.jpg

AuwHUGm.jpg

tiCuZ1V.jpg

2gHOXep.jpg

"Your" SVR?? When did this happen? Buying something a little bit softer than the GT4 (lol) for cruising duties?

Don't know much about cars, but getting a new one. Only driven not so exciting cars really, know how to drive stick but only done it once or twice (would prefer automatic). Thinking of an BMW 1M or M3. Any suggestions?

Whats different between the 1m and m2

There are so many good sports car options out there right now that we would really need to know what's most important to you. The M2 has reviewed well but is 2 door only. Do you need or prefer 4 doors? Is gas mileage at all important? Insurance costs? How close are you to the dealer? Most luxury performance cars are going to need to visit the dealer for service more often than your average daily driver.

There are a lot of factors to consider over and above the performance numbers and sex appeal of the car.

Stinkles

I'm curious about those manufacturer numbers - they used to be "0-60 in ideal conditions with warm tires on a perfect flat with a tailwind." - I just found out that my A4's stated 5.9 0-60 is actually 5.4 in almost every independent test.

Why would they understate? Safety? Liability? Emissions even? Makes no sense.

grendelrt

I'm curious about those manufacturer numbers - they used to be "0-60 in ideal conditions with warm tires on a perfect flat with a tailwind." - I just found out that my A4's stated 5.9 0-60 is actually 5.4 in almost every independent test.

The only reason I can think is using the Mustang controversy from years back where they werent hitting their rated HP numbers. If the manufacturer underrates power and performance figures they are not liable when people don't hit them, so they use it as a safety net.

AlphaSnake

"Your" SVR?? When did this happen? Buying something a little bit softer than the GT4 (lol) for cruising duties?

When he was in California with his brother, he went to a Jaguar dealership and they asked him how would he configure an SVR if he were to buy one. So the dealership ordered one based on his preferences. Which are nice preferences, I must say.

Almost all makers underestimate on purpose. They don't want to upset owners, get sued and would rather be conservative, rather than put out a number that only very ideal or experienced drivers could achieve under certain circumstances. It's best to surprise the owner. But most critically, magazines use the roll-out method, which manufacturers do not use.

The roll-out method puts 5ft of space between the front wheel and the starting line, which means the clock starts running when the front wheels cross the starting line. Mashing the throttle with 5 feet of space will have that car crossing the starting line at a minimum of 5 MPH, and in some exotics up to 10MPH. This aids 0-60 times immensely, as it does 1/4 miles and their trap-speeds. This is largely the reason for the discrepancy.

rokkerkory

I had tremendous fun driving it. Steering was tight and responsive, the weird (new for 2017) dual clutch 7 speed shifter thing felt natural, never missed a beat. Fantastic torque throughout the band. And a cabin you could host the G4 summit in. And 5.7 seconds to 60 is way more than I need, and stunning (to me) for a four pot turbo in a four door luxury sedan.

Geez imagine if you drove a real sports sedan ;)

Evo X

Haha, yep! This is the SVR I configured in California when the car was revealed. Would make a pretty badass companion to the GT4 imo. More relaxed driving when want, but pure badass beast when you let it loose.

Honestly, I drove last year's model, and they're nothing alike.

Give it a test drive. I suspect you'll change your mind.

Also, turns out real world 0-60 is 5.4

I'm gonna bring an RS7 to 343i and give you a ride Stinkles.

Stinkles

Haha, yep! This is the SVR I configured in California when the car was revealed. Would make a pretty badass companion to the GT4 imo. More relaxed driving when want, but pure badass beast when you let it loose.

I'm gonna bring an RS7 to 343i and give you a ride Stinkles.

One of my close colleagues has an RS5. It's too much for this old man
to pay maintenance costs and gas prices for.

My main power needs are 0-60 - and 5.4 for a comfy sedan is PLENTY and mid-range freeway maneuvers. But your RS7 has already been defeated for g-force alone by the Model S D ludicrous mode.

However, the RS7 is not only the best looking Audi, but the best looking luxury saloon period. Even in white. And I hate white.

Fuzzery

There are so many good sports car options out there right now that we would really need to know what's most important to you. The M2 has reviewed well but is 2 door only. Do you need or prefer 4 doors? Is gas mileage at all important? Insurance costs? How close are you to the dealer? Most luxury performance cars are going to need to visit the dealer for service more often than your average daily driver.

There are a lot of factors to consider over and above the performance numbers and sex appeal of the car.

Would prefer 4 doors but the 1m/M2 series just looks much better to me aesthetically, gas mileage insurance aren't that important to me, nearby dealer

Would probably prefer m2 because I don't wanna drive stick in the bay area (SF)

Top Bottom