• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I did it! I purchased a WRX today. I wasn't expected to find the one I did, but it just came in off their trucks. It's a 2015 WRX Limited in Galaxy Blue Pearl with only 15k miles. It used to be a executive car and it's one of the certified pre-owned. It had everything I wanted. Thank you all for answering all my questions and helping with my decision!

I'll have pics soon!

Grats!

matmanx1

Speaking of MX5s/Miatas, when would be a good time to buy one? I suspect there is a certain seasonality due to them being convertible

I think we're probably getting in to the season where you might be able to get a better deal, at least down here in the south. Once August hits and the kids go back to school I have heard car dealers take a hit because Mom and Dad usually don't have spare funds to pick up a new ride.

Other than that, the dead of winter would probably be a good bet.

I did it! I purchased a WRX today. I wasn't expected to find the one I did, but it just came in off their trucks. It's a 2015 WRX Limited in Galaxy Blue Pearl with only 15k miles. It used to be an executive car and it's one of the certified pre-owned. It had everything I wanted. Thank you all for answering all my questions and helping with my decision!

I'll have pics soon!

Oooh congrats! Awesome color too. 6 speed manual car I am guessing?

KrisB

I did it! I purchased a WRX today. I wasn't expected to find the one I did, but it just came in off their trucks. It's a 2015 WRX Limited in Galaxy Blue Pearl with only 15k miles. It used to be an executive car and it's one of the certified pre-owned. It had everything I wanted. Thank you all for answering all my questions and helping with my decision!

I'll have pics soon!
Congrats!!

J-Rzez

I'll have pics soon!

Nice, enjoy it, and good luck with it.

I skimmed the article a couple of times and don't see any actual published lap times. I get real suspicious as soon as I read about "sliding" being faster, especially when combined with cringey references to jazz musicians. I'd take that comparison with several grains of salt.

Yeah, reading the article, it is a very subjective piece. The writer's conclusion boils down to the fact that the Miata didn't experience any brake fade all day (the Fiat's brakes began to fade early) and that the Miata could be driven with so much flexibility while the Fiat pretty much has to be driven a certain way with less room for "play".

I suspect, in stock form, the 124 would actually set the faster lap time. But that wasn't necessarily the point of this article, hence why that number wasn't posted. As we all know, faster does not equate to better when it comes to a sports car.

Oh yeah, if we're talking instrumented performance numbers I wouldn't be surprised if the 124 would be faster. But in terms of the driving experience, I'm a little more surprised that the Miata is better. I was expecting the 124 to overcome that and be the better package but, from this subjective test at least, that doesn't seem to be the case.

That said, I'm definitely looking forward to an instrumented test as well as other subjective comparisons. I'd love for them to be neck and neck actually as I'm still favoring the 124 due to the tuning capabilities with the turbo, but at the same time, the driving experience is also a huge factor for me.

Speaking of MX5s/Miatas, when would be a good time to buy one? I suspect there is a certain seasonality due to them being convertible

Yep, fall/winter is the best season to buy one if you don't mind waiting.

Take a 3rd gen/NC Miata for example... I bought mine at the end of winter 2012 and I got it for around $12K. Fast forward to a month later and similar examples jumped up by a grand, then by the middle of spring I saw examples nearing $15K!

Now if you were looking for an NA/NB though, the seasons don't necessarily matter that much for them. But there's definitely a difference here and there.

I'll have pics soon!

Congrats man!!

Hey guys, any words of advice on the E92 330i and 335i? Seems to be extraordinarily cheap in the UK, given the performance and luxuries. Moving away from hot hatches and starting to look at RWD.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
TBH, I think they're one of the few manufacturers that actually warranty their speakers lol. I mean, they used Clarion and Fujistu Ten in the past, not like they're shabby stereo makers.

Going from my old WRX (with swapped out pioneer deck that made a big improvement) to even the Sony factory system in the RS (which isn't great) is a night and day difference.

It says something that to make a usable head unit they had to turn to Toyota.

The current "STARLINK" systems, which should be in all of Subaru's models now, were co-designed by Clarion and Subaru.

Stinkles

My new car gets here on Tuesday or Wednesday. But now I have a quandary. I want to install a tow hitch receiver for a bike rack - it's by far the nicest, cleanest way to do it - but the installer (no dealer sanctioned version available yet) says they do have to cut a small hole in the "fascia" (their term, not mine. I'd call it the bumper/skirt). They also have to install via the inside of the trunk. They seemed 100% confident and calim to have done it many times.

It's RackAndRoad, and they're excellent, experts in this stuff. They say it won't affect parking camera or warranty, and probably won't interfere with the trunk release sensor.

But all of this makes me nervous. Anyone had any experience attaching one to a modern sedan?

boltz

You would hope? If his list had Automatic transmission God bless his poor soul come CVT compromises time.

He was asking about getting back into manual driving earlier, so pretty sure he event that route. And yeah, I couldn't imagine driving a performance vehicle with a CVT.

The current "STARLINK" systems, which should be in all of Subaru's models now, were co-designed by Clarion and Subaru.

I was pretty sure that Toyota had some collaboration on it because when I played with the Starlink in a WRX and Outback, they were eerily similar to our Sienna's Entune system.

boltz

My new car gets here on Tuesday or Wednesday. But now I have a quandary. I want to install a tow hitch receiver for a bike rack - it's by far the nicest, cleanest way to do it - but the installer (no dealer sanctioned version available yet) says they do have to cut a small hole in the "fascia" (their term, not mine. I'd call it the bumper/skirt). They also have to install via the inside of the trunk. They seemed 100% confident and calim to have done it many times.

It's RackAndRoad, and they're excellent, experts in this stuff. They say it won't affect parking camera or warranty, and probably won't interfere with the trunk release sensor.

But all of this makes me nervous. Anyone had any experience attaching one to a modern sedan?

I've always had roof racks on my cars, so I don't have any special input for a hitch rack. But if they have to use the word "probably," I wouldn't be the Guinea pig for it with a car of that caliber. I would wait until someone else online posts about doing it successfully.

Pinewood

Yep, fall/winter is the best season to buy one if you don't mind waiting.

Take a 3rd gen/NC Miata for example... I bought mine at the end of winter 2012 and I got it for around $12K. Fast forward to a month later and similar examples jumped up by a grand, then by the middle of spring I saw examples nearing $15K!

Now if you were looking for an NA/NB though, the seasons don't necessarily matter that much for them. But there's definitely a difference here and there.
Alright, seems to make sense. Im just looking at different cars and this 124/MX5 thing made me look into those.

Long story short is 3500€ for a 2002 MX5 Sport(I guess its mk2.5?) reasonable or too much?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
He was asking about getting back into manual driving earlier, so pretty sure he event that route. And yeah, I couldn't imagine driving a performance vehicle with a CVT.

I was pretty sure that Toyota had some collaboration on it because when I played with the Starlink in a WRX and Outback, they were eerily similar to our Sienna's Entune system.

Clarion started designing systems for Toyota around 2007-2008. Additionally, they have a long history working with Nissan and Honda.

Clarion started designing systems for Toyota around 2007-2008. Additionally, they have a long history working with Nissan and Honda.

fsIPc9dl.jpg

2016-toyota-tacoma-entune-audio.jpg

No similarities here.

Alao: Toyota owns 1/6 of FHI. Collaboration is expected.

otakuderek

Oooh congrats! Awesome color too. 6 speed manual car I am guessing?

You would hope? If his list had Automatic transmission God bless his poor soul come CVT compromises time.

Thanks all! Yes manual. The CVT performed well using the paddle shifters when I tested those too imo. Drove it around this morning on some back roads. I've never had a car that could grip like this. It's fantastic!

boltz

Ah, never knew that.

fsIPc9dl.jpg

No similarities here.

Just messed around with Entune and it looks like it and Starlink are at least running off the same base software since there are a few functions between them that are identical, such as the maintenance screen and the voice command functionality.

Stinkles

I've always had roof racks on my cars, so I don't have any special input for a hitch rack. But if they have to use the word "probably," I wouldn't be the Guinea pig for it with a car of that caliber. I would wait until someone else online posts about doing it successfully.

I think you're 100% right. I bit the bullet and joined an Audi forum, so I'll keep looking there.

matmanx1

Alright, seems to make sense. Im just looking at different cars and this 124/MX5 thing made me look into those.

Long story short is 3500€ for a 2002 MX5 Sport(I guess its mk2.5?) reasonable or too much?

Depends on mileage and condition but that seems like a reasonable number for a 2nd gen car. Around my area I have seen a few on dealer lots that are between $5000 and $7000, US dollars of course.

rykomatsu

December 27th, 2016.

Convertible & Winter - drives demand down

December is last month for monthly, quarterly, and yearly quota - increases pressure to sell

Tuesday - statistically, lowest prices of the week tend to be negotiable on this day for some reason

27th - after Christmas, a lot of people have blown their was of cash for presents and shit, so lower demand for bigger purchases.

End of year - last few days before vehicles are perceived to be an additional year older.

On the flip side, if the used car dealer has had a good year/quarter/month, it might be harder to negotiate price.

So we were clowning the GS-F a few months ago, asking who is it for. Well, the Motor Trend folks did a H2H of the CTS-V vs the GS-F, and they had pretty high praise for the latter...outside of it's looks, although the CTS-V did win their H2H

https://youtu.be/3uuy5LVv8pA

Good to hear Lexus is getting better. They had nothing but praise for the handling and everything else other than the looks.

Gives me hope for the LC-F.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
fsIPc9dl.jpg

No similarities here.

...okay, what is your point here? When the next popular arg game similar to Pokemon Go comes out are you going to also post screen shots of the two maps and complain that the game map data sourced from Google maps on the new game looks too similar to the Pokemon Go game map data sourced from Google maps? Car companies all buy the same or similar parts from the same third party suppliers. This is why a supercar can have the same lights or switches from a cheap sub compact.

Subaru builds additional Toyota Camrys, this is what happens when you have excess production capacity, but this will end in 2016, and Toyota reciprocated by rebadging one of it's Kei cars and subcompacts for Subaru. Toyota initially owned shares in Subaru because GM decided to get rid of their shares in certain foreign brands. They recently increased their shares to 16.5% because the two decided to jointly built the BRZ/86. The practice of Toyota collaborating with other companies exists because it is cheaper than developing performance cars, models that will only return a modest profit if at all, on their own. Due to that, Toyota is also co-developing a car with BMW; but unlike the BRZ/86 it will have the same chassis but different bodies. Looking at their respective design languages, I am positive that the BMW will look like a BMW and the Toyota version will either be completely drab or come pre-crashed. But at least no one will accuse the other of sharing to much.

I'll have pics soon!

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the Subaru club!

Around here, the WRX/STi have a reputation for being bro vehicles due to people with oil money buying them proportionately to jacked up f150 quad cabs.

I like the new WRX a lot, but i couldn't shake the stigma associated with them.

Alberta?

...okay, what is your point here? When the next popular arg game similar to Pokemon Go comes out are you going to also post screen shots of the two maps and complain that the game map data sourced from Google maps on the new game looks too similar to the Pokemon Go game map data sourced from Google maps? Car companies all buy the same or similar parts from the same third party suppliers. This is why a supercar can have the same lights or switches from a cheap sub compact.

You know what? You're far more invested in this topic than I am. Have fun.

I'm wondering this myself too. Want to buy a white or ceramic metallic 2016 model but if waiting a few more months can save me a few gs then I would wait. Hopefully once the 2017 models start rolling out of the factories it will amke the 16 models cheaper. But Boy do that 2017 RF looks really really good though.
banderas.png

What do you guys think about these gold HRE wheels on my car?

13701217_1163130677083701_4407109500196273571_o.jpg
It looks great. Never thought gold rims works great on white car. May e because its the matte-ish kind of gold finish.

Evo X

Thanks for the input guys! I've always loved white on gold combos. Back in the Evo days, my dream build was a white Evo 9 MR with JDM rear in carbon and gold Volk CE28Ns.

Those HRE's aren't cheap, so not sure if I'll get them anytime soon.

Also, went out driving with my GT3RS friend today. It's finally broken in. He revved it to 8800 RPMs in an underpass and the sound was spine tingling. Can't wait to thrash it at the track this Friday!

Here's side by side shot. My car looks kinda small next to it. lol

We are both thinking about getting some sort of liveries on our cars to make them stand out a bit. Anyone have suggestions?

whNO8x1.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! I've always loved white on gold combos. Back in the Evo days, my dream build was a white Evo 9 MR with JDM rear in carbon and gold Volk CE28Ns.

Also, went out driving with my GT3RS friend today. It's finally broken in. He revved it to 8800 RPMs in an underpass and the sound was spine tingling. Can't wait to thrash it at the track this Friday!

We are both thinking about getting some sort of liveries on our cars to make them stand out a bit. Anyone have suggestions?

whNO8x1.jpg

I think you should both be members of this racing team:

Pinewood

The

whNO8x1.jpg
A logo maybe? How about a circle in two colors,them being separated by a lightning strike. Top color could be sunset orange and bottom concrete gray.

Stinkles

whNO8x1.jpg

A tramp-stamp Asian lettering you later discover means "butt-monkey" or similar. Or a Dolphin with sorority Greek letters.

Evo X

I think you should both be members of this racing team:

I don't understand reference. Can you explain?

A logo maybe? How about a circle in two colors,them being separated by a lightning strike. Top color could be sunset orange and bottom concrete gray.

Do I get GAF Gold in exchange?

love it but try to get some more concavity!

Great idea! That would definitely look better.

A tramp-stamp Asian lettering you later discover means "butt-monkey" or similar. Or a Dolphin with sorority Greek letters.

Why not both?

Dolphin on the hood and replace the Porsche lettering on the back with butt monkey.

I'd put this on the hood:

bloodtitlefbynf.jpg

Maybe we can put that GT4 of yours to work in the viral marketing campaign to bring Blood back.

This seems like it would be more appropriate on a Mustang.

h1nch

Hey guys, any words of advice on the E92 330i and 335i? Seems to be extraordinarily cheap in the UK, given the performance and luxuries. Moving away from hot hatches and starting to look at RWD.

I think you should be good as long as you stick to one w/ a newer fuel pump as that was probably the single biggest issue that plagued the E9x gen.

It's a BMW so you should still prepare to pay for repairs out of warranty. Not sure if they're as costly in the UK as they are in the US.

LMAO that's supposed to be a lightning bolt?

I thought it's a conveniently placed N haha.

I don't understand reference. Can you explain?

Wat.

You should turn in your gamercard if you don't know Tokyo Xtreme Racer.

Lol jk.

Futaba

Cpje4uN.jpg

Saw this yesterday whilst shopping for a new engine for my project car (or a backup incase I ever blow up the boxer in my 86).
With the discount it works out at $454 usd

Tempted

matmanx1

Cpje4uN.jpg

Saw this yesterday whilst shopping for a new engine for my project car (or a backup incase I ever blow up the boxer in my 86).

Tempted

Is that the straight 6 that they used in all of the Skylines, minus the turbo?

Its the 2.5 turbo engine that went in the r33 and r34 gts-t skylines, and probably other large nissan sedans.

Correct! RB25DET also went in Laurels to boot. That doesn't look like the NEO version, so parts will be readily available.

Cpje4uN.jpg

Tempted

Up Garage? I've spend sooooooooooooooooooooooo much money there... It's insane(ly) awesome!

boltz

So do you guys have any experience with racing wheel setups for gaming? I just started playing Forza Apex on my laptop the other day and it seemed almost pointless to play a racing game with a keyboard or controller. So I started looking at the Logitech G920 which seems like a decent, affordable setup. What I want is realistic steering feedback and pedal feel. Any thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
So do you guys have any experience with racing wheel setups for gaming? I just started playing Forza Apex on my laptop the other day and it seemed almost pointless to play a racing game with a keyboard or controller. So I started looking at the Logitech G920 which seems like a decent, affordable setup. What I want is realistic steering feedback and pedal feel. Any thoughts?
So, there's sane levels ($500 or less), then there's insane levels ($?)

The G920 is the champ of the sane levels.

If you want to go crazy, which given the laptop gaming is probably not the case, you can piece together some pretty amazing setups here: https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/

Top Bottom