• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Second time at the track in the GT4 today!

Much more comfortable this time with both the track layout and car. It handles so god damn good that stepping into almost anything else feels like a downgrade.

UKzC7as.jpg

Luckily, I stepped out of it and straight into my friends GT3RS. It was his first time at the track so after some lead follow laps, I hopped in the driver's seat while he rode shotgun and took mental notes on how to take the proper racing line, when to brake, and the unique quirks of the 911 platform.

l4r4B8p.jpg

As for the car itself, it is a rocket. Pulls some serious Gs in the turns and has godly traction on exit. Break in is a thousand miles. We were thrashing it at 1,005. lol

Got to take the engine to 8800RPMs a bunch of times and it sounded glorious. Would sound even better with a set of race headers though. Rear wheel steering is quite transparent. Didn't really know what to look for, just noticed it turned in with amazing agility. Not sure what else to say. Car is an absolute weapon and pulled the fastest lap time of the day. Can only imagine what it could do in the hands of a professional instead of me.

Also, gotta give props to the dude with the Huracan. First Lambo I've seen at a track day and he was flogging it hard. Saw the back end step out in a few corners.

Did a tour of the shops and there was some pretty cool metal. Forgot to take pics, but there was a guy who owned two DTM Audis worth a cool $2 Million each.

zEg60p3.jpg

A thunderstorm rolled in near the end of the day, so we did some drifting and donuts before leaving. All in all, fun day. :D

waM2pWn.jpg

DarkestHour

Banned
Sup brehs. Been MIA a few days.

BetaSnake was born 4 days ago.

Just wanted to mention that he's riding in British elegance with his Britax seats. Hahaha

I think British products simply follow me around, it wasn't even a predisposed decision. It just so happens they're a top tier baby seat company.

Congrats! Just moved my youngest son out of his Britax and in to the Recaro!

grendelrt

What a garage man...I mean both your cars and your actual garage. Is that epoxy flooring? I was thinking of doing that to my parents garage myself with a $400 kit.

I was over at his place watching a fight and we went out to the garage and looked just like that but without cars in it. This was pre Z06, I said how come you dont put your Acura beater in the garage and he was like, its not worthy lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Thank you my fellow Auto-GAFers. It's a life changing moment, for sure.

I've had a lot of life changing moments, but never something quite this impactful. Engagement, wedding, passing of family members, living on my own, moving 1000 miles away, etc. But a kid? Man, most surreal feeling ever. I just look into the bassinet, and there he is. A little me.

Futaba

Fuji speedways 86 event is tomorrow but like clockwork I have a bunch of work to get through and a migraine.. if I don't feel like utter crap tomorrow morning i'll go and take a decent camera.

Viperbah

What a garage man...I mean both your cars and your actual garage. Is that epoxy flooring? I was thinking of doing that to my parents garage myself with a $400 kit.

Thanks! Yes, it is epoxy. Do it!....it's not too hard of a job if you are fairly handy and most of the work is prepping the surface before you put the epoxy down. Some advice: Stay away from darker colors (I do 90% of all my own work on cars, house etc. and darker colors will show scratches easier). Get some sort of clear coat to go on top of it. This brand is pretty good and has everything you need in various kits: https://www.epoxy-coat.com/

Another option is If you have a smaller garage, going with something like race deck is super easy and looks great. It gets expensive when you up the sq footage though and epoxy is better for a working garage.

I was over at his place watching a fight and we went out to the garage and looked just like that but without cars in it. This was pre Z06, I said how come you dont put your Acura beater in the garage and he was like, its not worthy lol.

Haha....I usually just have the corvette in there, I think i did that just for the pic.

matmanx1

Second time at the track in the GT4 today!

Much more comfortable this time with both the track layout and car. It handles so god damn good that stepping into almost anything else feels like a downgrade.

UKzC7as.jpg

Luckily, I stepped out of it and straight into my friends GT3RS. It was his first time at the track so after some lead follow laps, I hopped in the driver's seat while he rode shotgun and took mental notes on how to take the proper racing line, when to brake, and the unique quirks of the 911 platform.

l4r4B8p.jpg

As for the car itself, it is a rocket. Pulls some serious Gs in the turns and has godly traction on exit. Break in is a thousand miles. We were thrashing it at 1,005. lol

Got to take the engine to 8800RPMs a bunch of times and it sounded glorious. Would sound even better with a set of race headers though. Rear wheel steering is quite transparent. Didn't really know what to look for, just noticed it turned in with amazing agility. Not sure what else to say. Car is an absolute weapon and pulled the fastest lap time of the day. Can only imagine what it could do in the hands of a professional instead of me.

Also, gotta give props to the dude with the Huracan. First Lambo I've seen at a track day and he was flogging it hard. Saw the back end step out in a few corners.

Did a tour of the shops and there was some pretty cool metal. Forgot to take pics, but there was a guy who owned two DTM Audis worth a cool $2 Million each.

zEg60p3.jpg

A thunderstorm rolled in near the end of the day, so we did some drifting and donuts before leaving. All in all, fun day. :D

waM2pWn.jpg

Sounds like a fantastic day, Evo X. What track is that? Do you have a GoPro or other video recording device? Your car (and that of your friend) is tailor made for sharing some clips on Youtube. I would love to see some of that if you ever have the inclination.

Just wanted to mention that he's riding in British elegance with his Britax seats. Hahaha

I think British products simply follow me around, it wasn't even a predisposed decision. It just so happens they're a top tier baby seat company.

Congrats Alpha!

Smokey

Congrats man

Mine is 5 months and it's the best thing ever

Just know that those first few months are brutal :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Congrats Alpha!

Thanks, breh.

Congrats man

Mine is 5 months and it's the best thing ever

Just know that those first few months are brutal :)

Dude...tell me about it. I'm so scared of every little thing he does. 'What was that noise'? "Why did he sneeze?" And then I'm all paranoid if I'm being a good enough husband and helping enough, and if I'll be a great father. I look at him and I just want to protect him from everything.

I'm catching feels, brehs. Too much onions in my soup. I need to be excused.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks, breh.

Dude...tell me about it. I'm so scared of every little thing he does. 'What was that noise'? "Why did he sneeze?" And then I'm all paranoid if I'm being a good enough husband and helping enough, and if I'll be a great father. I look at him and I just want to protect him from everything.

Don't worry by the time they're four you'll be like "get a job you freeloading nimrod"

Smokey

Thanks, breh.

😂

You'll adjust, but he has to adjust to you too. Everything is new. But once that part is over (the few months I was speaking of) you'll have a lot more fun, and get to sleep just a little longer!

It arrived!

zh5V8Q5.jpg

Da fuk is this

Where are my ass shots and interior pics?!

Stinkles

😂

You'll adjust, but he has to adjust to you too. Everything is new. But once that part is over (the few months I was speaking of) you'll have a lot more fun, and get to sleep just a little longer!

Da fuk is this

Where are my ass shots and interior pics?!

I don't pick it up till this afternoon. That's a shot the dealer sent when it came off the truck.

Zyzyxxz

Finally moving on from my Prious to.... *drumroll* a Honda Element!

Its mostly for work purposes since I need more cargo space but hopefully I only have to drive it for a year or two then I can get something fun for real.

Hoping for either an E39 M5 or looking to restore a Mercedes 300SD/TD

No Love

Banned
Finally moving on from my Prious to.... *drumroll* a Honda Element!

Its mostly for work purposes since I need more cargo space but hopefully I only have to drive it for a year or two then I can get something fun for real.

Hoping for either an E39 M5 or looking to restore a Mercedes 300SD/TD

M5. Once you ride in mine there'll be no doubt. I'll help ya out finding one too. It is glorious. No matter how mundane the road, you are always just mere inches from hoonage.

I'm just doing a bunch of preventative maintenance on mine before I get a supercharger in the next few months. Going to blend E85 in, run a Zeitronix Ethanol Content Sensor, and tune for around E40-E50 at 10 psi or so. Should net me 550+ whp/450+ wtq.

matmanx1

I just got back from Hennessy Porsche and their annual Concours D' Elegance which is just a fancy word for a car show where the entrants are actually judged on cleanliness and preparation.

Here are a few highlights. (Warning, Picture Heavy Post!)

Cayman with Martini Livery. It was track ready with roll cage and fire extinguisher.
oYXlEIs.jpg

918 rocking the Gulf Livery.
DtroHQ9.jpg

Gorgeous 1969 912 - one of my favorite cars of the day, no doubt.
fZBNvZd.jpg

Another shot of the front of the 912 looking down one of the rows of cars.
61Pa7LP.jpg

918 on a lift. Notice the body panels on the ground.
omBnUXt.jpg

Mahogany Boxster GTS. Great color.
BcaUfPh.jpg

1956 356C
xgoK5MO.jpg

And just for fun - A working electric 1970's 911 Cabriolet kiddie car. A small child was actually driving this around the bay later on.
1mUoeID.jpg

matmanx1

Where the highlights at lol

Sorry. I posted one and then went back and edited in the others. You caught it while I was editing. Anyway, here's more!

993 911 Turbo (fairly rare car)
ujZFv96.jpg

The original 911 Turbo (930) a.k.a. "Widowmaker"
T2iKSv3.jpg

991 911 Turbo S w/ 21" wheels and 25 series rubber
fmgvWno.jpg

I really like the color combo on this new 718 Boxster S
TRKv72d.jpg

Random GT3RS with California plates parked outside
rKDTHgF.jpg

"Upstairs" at Hennessy on the balcony with a 991.2 Carrera Cabriolet
R2BaPWY.jpg

And one just so AlphaSnake doesn't feel left out. An F-Type S down the street at the Jaguar dealer that featured a 6 speed manual!
sdexTSF.jpg

Stinkles

Just exited undercoat and windshield insurance negotiations and "Black Rose" is parked outside and officially mine. My seven year old picked the name. Initial impressions are awestruck terror at the technology and cabin silence.

Sz7naV8.jpg

Stinkles

Did you get the B&O system?

Both! Car arrived the same time my Amazon glitch A2 arrived! Sounds incredible in the car but it's also an impossibly quiet cabin which no doubt helps the acoustics. I literally can't find pause though.

Only minor bum note is the fact that Apple carplay and the virtual cockpit are somewhat redundant and carplay will only display on the center console screen rather than on both or on the virtual cockpit. I knew that going in though. It just seems like a missed opportunity.

My dealer experience was stunning though. Smooth as silk and I got a price that made a rival dealer rudely dismiss me and effectively hang up. Didn't push too hard on bs up charges. Helps that the dealer said "hey you're not [Stinkles] from [Stinkles job] are you?" He was also a genuine car enthusiast - you'd be surprised how many sales guys aren't.

Now to continue the hunt for the pause button.

This entire time I was wondering how Stinkles can buy a car on Sunday... then I realized that the Texas Blue Laws also apply to car dealerships.

Smh lol.

Wait, You can't buy a car in Sunday in Texas? It's one of the busiest days here.

Yup, dealerships are closed here on Sunday.

I thought the dealership owners actually had some hearts and let their employees enjoy a Sunday just because they care... turns out it's the damn gubmint interfering and forcing them to close lol.

Sad thing is, I've been in Texas for 13 years and this is the first time I found out why dealers are closed on a Sunday... I seriously thought it was a countrywide thing haha.

Stinkles

Yup, dealerships are closed here on Sunday.

I thought the dealership owners actually had some hearts and let their employees enjoy a Sunday just because they care... turns out it's the damn gubmint interfering and forcing them to close lol.

Sad thing is, I've been in Texas for 13 years and this is the first time I found out why dealers are closed on a Sunday... I seriously thought it was a countrywide thing haha.

Weird because the only thing more powerful politically than the church is car dealership networks. Not even kidding. The main reason car dealerships exist and are the most negative consumer experience by far, is their political oomph. They lobby as a group. They're why you can't buy a Tesla in New Jersey.

Cowie

Both! Car arrived the same time my Amazon glitch A2 arrived! Sounds incredible in the car but it's also an impossibly quiet cabin which no doubt helps the acoustics. I literally can't find pause though.

Only minor bum note is the fact that Apple carplay and the virtual cockpit are somewhat redundant and carplay will only display on the center console screen rather than on both or on the virtual cockpit. I knew that going in though. It just seems like a missed opportunity.

My dealer experience was stunning though. Smooth as silk and I got a price that made a rival dealer rudely dismiss me and effectively hang up. Didn't push too hard on bs up charges. Helps that the dealer said "hey you're not [Stinkles] from [Stinkles job] are you?" He was also a genuine car enthusiast - you'd be surprised how many sales guys aren't.

Now to continue the hunt for the pause button.

Grats! Also, on older models you can push in the volume knob to simultaneously mute/pause, and then again to resume. Both the one on the wheel and the one on the center console. Give that a shot I guess?

Stinkles

Grats! Also, on older models you can push in the volume knob to simultaneously mute/pause, and then again to resume. Both the one on the wheel and the one on the center console. Give that a shot I guess?

I think that's it. I assumed it was just muting. I will test it this morning and pay attention to lyrics!

Smokey

Stinkles, what car are you coming from? The really quiet cabin you speak of has me intrigued.

My dadness is really starting to weave its way into my soul

Stinkles

Stinkles, what car are you coming from? The really quiet cabin you speak of has me intrigued.

My dadness is really starting to weave its way into my soul

Mazda CX7. (other car is a Honda Fit)

But let me add "effortless acceleration" to the mix. Still getting used to steering feel, but the engine is masterful. Four-pot two liter turbo and does 0-60 in 5.4.

Weird because the only thing more powerful politically than the church is car dealership networks. Not even kidding. The main reason car dealerships exist and are the most negative consumer experience by far, is their political oomph. They lobby as a group. They're why you can't buy a Tesla in New Jersey.

Yeah it's the same here in Texas. You can talk to a Tesla expert in their stores to find options or whatever but you buy through the phone or another dealer I believe and you have to pickup your car out of state. I think it's also supposed to be registered out of state but I'm not exactly too sure lol.

Funny thing is, I drive by the only Tesla service center here in DFW everytime I go to my favorite restaurant. So they obviously don't care that Tesla can do business here, the dealerships just want a cut from the sales which is ridiculous.

J-Rzez

All this talk about quietness has given me a nervous eye twitch, so going to leave this fun, I mean juvenile,
FUN
exhaust clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFlnujx_z8

More dyno tests, stock, no bolt ons:
tuneplus_93_stage_1_1024x1024.png

E30 blend:
tune_plus_e30_stage_1_1024x1024.png

Can't wait to get a few more miles in on the RS, take it for one of the free break in inspections, update it's ECU, then it's time to tune. Was supposed to have some track time in but got rained out. Well, myself and the other AWD guys wanted to go, but it was coming down too hard so there was a risk of hydroplane and a pesky tornado warning, so it was cancelled. :(

matmanx1

All this talk about quietness has given me a nervous eye twitch, so going to leave this fun, I mean juvenile,
FUN
exhaust clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFlnujx_z8

More dyno tests, stock, no bolt ons:
tuneplus_93_stage_1_1024x1024.png

E30 blend:
tune_plus_e30_stage_1_1024x1024.png

Can't wait to get a few more miles in on the RS, take it for one of the free break in inspections, update it's ECU, then it's time to tune. Was supposed to have some track time in but got rained out. Well, myself and the other AWD guys wanted to go, but it was coming down too hard so there was a risk of hydroplane and a pesky tornado warning, so it was cancelled. :(

Haha, that sound is hilarious and amazing.

J-Rzez

That throttle overrun shit is gonna get annoying in a few years when every tune offers it. V8s especially.

The nice thing about the tune on the RS is that while you have it in Sport/Track/Drift it does it. When you have it in normal Adam cuts back on it. So you have that at least heh.

Anyone gonna be at Wekfest NJ this weekend? I'll be there with my 1G CRX and since I don't have many car enthusiast friends that are local, I figured I'd see if anyone here is gonna by chance be visiting the venue.

Makki

I'm a 41 yr old man that wants to trade my 2013 BMW 3 series for next year's Civic Type-R. Am I crazy?

Not if you sit in it first lol. For a man your age I say sit in it inside the showroom for a good while instead of judging it based on a 5 min test ride. Uncomfortable race seats will punish the shit out of you, but god will the car look good sitting in your garage.

Zyzyxxz

M5. Once you ride in mine there'll be no doubt. I'll help ya out finding one too. It is glorious. No matter how mundane the road, you are always just mere inches from hoonage.

I'm just doing a bunch of preventative maintenance on mine before I get a supercharger in the next few months. Going to blend E85 in, run a Zeitronix Ethanol Content Sensor, and tune for around E40-E50 at 10 psi or so. Should net me 550+ whp/450+ wtq.

Do you have an E85 station down the street from you because here in LA I think I have only seen it once and its far from where I live.

No Love

Banned
Do you have an E85 station down the street from you because here in LA I think I have only seen it once and its far from where I live.

Yeah I do. There's quite a few of them in LA. The one I used to go to was in Torrance off the 110 and the 405.

Futaba

Some pics from the Fuji 86 Style + BRZ event a few days ago, sadly didn't get any of the drift events later in the day as I had prior engagements and had to bounce by 1pm.

Uploaded the rest of the pictures I took to this album
Was a nice event, probably the first time I have ever been to an event or gathering where so many of the exact same vehicle were in one place, and I have been to manufacturers shipping lots plenty of times...

Some of the guys and girls I spoke to had arrived had midnight and waited the 7 and a half hours for the gates to open just for the event, making me feel practically truant rocking up in to the overflow holding area at 7am!

Top Bottom