• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

My new car has gone from being "IN TRANSIT" to being "AT PORT" being "ON TRUCK" and should be here the middle of next week.

To pile on Mkenynon's post above, one of the best things about this car is Apple Carplay and Android standard. That combined with Audi's "Virtual Cockpit" (NVidia powered HD screen behind the steering wheel, replacing analog dials) means it's a technological step ahead of the other cars in this class. And one of the reasons I picked it, along with the second quietest cabin on the market.

This is NOT the 2016 Audi A4. It's all new. 0-60 in 5.4, longer, wider, smarter. I know the A4 is unappealing to "enthusiast" drivers, but seriously, if you're in that market, give it a drive. I was genuinely shocked and the C300, 3-Series and Q50 weren't even close. And for context, last year, I eliminated the A4 from my shopping list because of the performance, tech and dynamics.

This year, it's a whole new vorsprung.

Of course now I jinxed it and it'll get delayed. DOH.

Quattro, Manhattan Gray, Premium Plus, Tech Package and Cold Weather (the latter seems to come with every WA state car because we're weather babies).

I'M PUMPED.

P.S., UK people, Audi drivers in the US aren't as douchelord as BMW drivers by reputation, but I will work on that for you...

Close second for me was C300 because of cabin quality.

What were your impressions on the Q50? Which trim did you test drive? The S? Just curious as I have been greatly drawn towards the Q50S and it's looks. Haven't really given the Audi a look yet but would like to hear why you decided to go with the Audi over the Infiniti.

Truth is, I should probably get out there and start test driving, I just absolutely dread the idea of having to go to a dealership.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What were your impressions on the Q50? Which trim did you test drive? The S? Just curious as I have been greatly drawn towards the Q50S and it's looks. Haven't really given the Audi a look yet but would like to hear why you decided to go with the Audi over the Infiniti.

Truth is, I should probably get out there and start test driving, I just absolutely dread the idea of having to go to a dealership.

I test drove a 3.x liter and a 2.0 liter Q50, but not sport. The latter was insipid and loud and thrashy feeling, the bigger engine was magnificent, but the fit, finish and cabin noise were not fantastic (although I liked the aesthetics and it's my fave of everything I drove for exterior appearance).

Also tried a merc c300 - lovely interior, decent everything, but no single outstanding aspect.

The A4 was quick, spirited, quiet, graceful and had by far the best cabin. With the tech package (Virtual Cockpit) it's far and away the best tech in that segment. I want it for flexible cruising, commuting and long distance trips.

The only quieter cabin on the market presently is the Rolls Royce Phantom II. I bought a Bluetooth equipped living room that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

It arrives tomorrow! An hour after I leave ona long road trip :-( FML.

Saw a funny meme posted a few days ago regarding the scene from the first F&F movie where the Supra races the Ferrari.

The Supra is now worth more than that Ferrari...

rykomatsu

Finally had a chance to take the M235i to the twisties for some spirited driving tonight. Man, such a fun car...it's not "miata" floggable but considering how heavy it is, I think it's pretty amazing how well it handles. Love the burble when letting off the gas too :)

Futaba

Correct!
I didn't end up buying it in the end though, found a RB26DETT for 85,000 yen and bought it on the spot, going to require a bunch of welding work and some trans tunnel magic though as i'll be squishing it into a PGC10.

Correct! RB25DET also went in Laurels to boot. That doesn't look like the NEO version, so parts will be readily available.
Up Garage? I've spend sooooooooooooooooooooooo much money there... It's insane(ly) awesome!

Same! bought close to 3mill yen in parts in the past 2 years, my old JZX90 was practically built from upgarage parts, but the poor things no longer with us on this plane of existence, though i'm sure there will be tiny pieces of it etched into a certain guard rail for years to come ;)

Doh, I totally forgot about those...

Same! bought close to 3mill yen in parts in the past 2 years, my old JZX90 was practically built from upgarage parts, but the poor things no longer with us on this plane of existence, though i'm sure there will be tiny pieces of it etched into a certain guard rail for years to come ;)

On my last trip, I brought an empty suitcase JUST FOR PARTS from Up Garage (and Tokyo Auto Salon). I honestly do not want to think about the amount I've spent over the years between my last S14, S15 and now JZX100.

You had a JZX90?! That's awesome! I just imported a JZX100 Chaser!

Futaba

Doh, I totally forgot about those...

On my last trip, I brought an empty suitcase JUST FOR PARTS from Up Garage (and Tokyo Auto Salon). I honestly do not want to think about the amount I've spent over the years between my last S14, S15 and now JZX100.

You had a JZX90?! That's awesome! I just imported a JZX100 Chaser!

I still miss it! Took it for some spirited driving with friends and the guy in front span out, in the effort to not t-bone him i swerved the other direction and the whole front end was torn off by a section of wall and rail.

Fun times!

negitoro7

Finally had a chance to take the M235i to the twisties for some spirited driving tonight. Man, such a fun car...it's not "miata" floggable but considering how heavy it is, I think it's pretty amazing how well it handles. Love the burble when letting off the gas too :)

Nice, I really wanted the M235i but it was out of my price range compared to the R (which is a heckuva bargain in Canada). Sometimes I still wonder if I should've stretched my budget a bit. Mine would've been an Estoril Blue with Terra brown interior.

Shadoken

Lol I never even knew GAF had a petrolhead thread. Not too many fans of the 86 with that title eh? :p

Personally I think the HP is just fine , the low end torque dip is what kills it. Its pretty good on a track with a decent driver who can keep it at high RPMs. But drop below 5k and its crappy. Hopefully with the new model , they fix that with the agressive gearing and get rid of the torque dip.

So we were clowning the GS-F a few months ago, asking who is it for. Well, the Motor Trend folks did a H2H of the CTS-V vs the GS-F, and they had pretty high praise for the latter...outside of it's looks, although the CTS-V did win their H2H

https://youtu.be/3uuy5LVv8pA

I kinda dont get how the CTSV won because it did better on the Track. It makes sense for a sports car like if you were comparing a 911 or a corvette or something. But a 4 seater Sporty Sedan, Its primarily going to be for street use. Where they said the GS-F is much better. I know they despise the looks , but eh the GS pulls it off better than the IS with that weird swiggly headlights.

Co-worker bought a new Miata. Seems fun but I still think id rather buy a NB if I was going to buy another one.

How come? I driven an ND at AutoX , its a superb car. One the few modern cars that has lost weight instead of becoming fat. The agressive gearing is also really good with how much faster the car feels. Though I havent been in an NB for comparison.

Futaba

Lol I never even knew GAF had a petrolhead thread. Not too many fans of the 86 with that title eh? :p

Personally I think the HP is just fine , the low end torque dip is what kills it. Its pretty good on a track with a decent driver who can keep it at high RPMs. But drop below 5k and its crappy. Hopefully with the new model , they fix that with the agressive gearing and get rid of the torque dip..

I love my 86, and the torque dip is a very easy fix just takes a bit of money for parts and a tune, decat header alone takes a chunk out of the dip, combine it with other mods and a tune and it's a thing of the past.

FA20 really does prefer high revs though, shift later and it feels like a completely different beast.

Also, the near legendary association with being slow makes it a great sleeper build too.

Shadoken

I love my 86, and the torque dip is a very easy fix just takes a bit of money for parts and a tune, decat header alone takes a chunk out of the dip, combine it with other mods and a tune and it's a thing of the past.

FA20 really does prefer high revs though, shift later and it feels like a completely different beast.

Also, the near legendary association with being slow makes it a great sleeper build too.

Yea I have heard just a header and tune do wonders for the Car , despite not a big gain in HP.

I hope the 2017 Refresh can match the performance of the old model with Header Tune.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sup brehs. Been MIA a few days.

BetaSnake was born 4 days ago.

Just wanted to mention that he's riding in British elegance with his Britax seats. Hahaha

I think British products simply follow me around, it wasn't even a predisposed decision. It just so happens they're a top tier baby seat company.

ascii42

Just wanted to mention that he's riding in British elegance with his Britax seats. Hahaha

I think British products simply follow me around, it wasn't even a predisposed decision. It just so happens they're a top tier baby seat company.

Awesome. Congrats.

No Love

Banned

Congrats on the BetaSnake!!! Amazing times.

Correct!
I didn't end up buying it in the end though, found a RB26DETT for 85,000 yen and bought it on the spot, going to require a bunch of welding work and some trans tunnel magic though as i'll be squishing it into a PGC10.

Nice are you living in Japan? What area?

Congrats! But no baby Recaro? We bought a Diono seat, which for the past year or so I've thought was some cool exotic Italian brand, but inspired by your post I just looked them up and they're American. Oops!

BetaSnake? Fuuu, thanks for making me spit out my coffee man!

Congrats!!

Now here's a children's song for him Another Mustang Crashed (Battle Hymn of The Bro) courtesy of the RegularCarReviews.

Correct!

We're going to need pictures of this.

Also, are you living in Japan?

Futaba

We're going to need pictures of this.

Also, are you living in Japan?

Here's a pic of how it was when I found it, was told it had the engine from a 2000gt in it at the time (back when I first posted about getting it on gaf) turns out it did but was seized up completely with coolant water sitting in the cylinders and rust out the wazoo

BCunJqu.jpg

After pulling the engine and stripping out the interior it's been sat in dry storage since while I slowly build up a pile of replacement parts to restore it.

List of things that need sorting:
- Tailgate and passengers side rear arch corroded badly
- Boot/Trunk floor corroded, needs a section replacing completely
- Rear brakes seized completely
- Rear seats and parcel shelf water damaged
- Seal around rear window failed
- Drivers side rear suspension shot
- Fuel tank shot, actual hole in neck of tank.
- Fuel pump likely dead

Likely a bunch of other stuff once I get stuck in with the but the majority of the damage was caused by the water ingress.

And yep, I live in Japan, have done for several years! Just outside of Tokyo, though I've been contemplating moving up to the north coast recently.

AlphaSnake

Awesome. Congrats.

Congrats on the BetaSnake!!! Amazing times.

Congrats! But no baby Recaro? We bought a Diono seat, which for the past year or so I've thought was some cool exotic Italian brand, but inspired by your post I just looked them up and they're American. Oops!

BetaSnake? Fuuu, thanks for making me spit out my coffee man!

Congrats!!

Now here's a children's song for him Another Mustang Crashed (Battle Hymn of The Bro) courtesy of the RegularCarReviews.

Thank you, all.

Funny enough, Smokey actually coined the "BetaSnake" name. LOL

I'll be in Japan next week, and I kinda want to go to upgarage. Although last time I was there I went to one and everything I wanted was large and expensive. I'll still probably go though.

Here's a pic of how it was when I found it, was told it had the engine from a 2000gt in it at the time (back when I first posted about getting it on gaf) turns out it did but was seized up completely with coolant water sitting in the cylinders and rust out the wazoo

BCunJqu.jpg

After pulling the engine and stripping out the interior it's been sat in dry storage since while I slowly build up a pile of replacement parts to restore it.

- Fuel pump likely dead

Likely a bunch of other stuff once I get stuck in with the but the majority of the damage was caused by the water ingress.

And yep, I live in Japan, have done for several years!

Ah, I remember this now from when you got it.

Futaba

I'll be in Japan next week, and I kinda want to go to upgarage. Although last time I was there I went to one and everything I wanted was large and expensive. I'll still probably go though.

Doesn't really fix the expensive part but if you see something nice in an upgarage you can usually find it listed on their site and buy/import it directly through Croooober, though adding those sorts or shipping costs to large parts will make even the bargains feel expensive.

There are a few other ways to get parts over cheaply but involves a lot of logistics, timing and luck!

Doesn't really fix the expensive part but if you see something nice in an upgarage you can usually find it listed on their site and buy/import it directly through Croooober, though adding those sorts or shipping costs to large parts will make even the bargains feel expensive.

There are a few other ways to get parts over cheaply but involves a lot of logistics, timing and luck!

Yeah, most of what I wanted where wheels. They also had some bucket seats at some amazing prices. This was an Upgarage in Hiroshima, so I'm sure other cities would have other stuff.

This time I'll only be in Tokyo and Fukuoka, so I'll see what they have there.

Futaba

Yeah, most of what I wanted where wheels. They also had some bucket seats at some amazing prices. This was an Upgarage in Hiroshima, so I'm sure other cities would have other stuff.

I'd recommend Garage Off too if you can squeeze a visit in to your schedule, nowhere near as well stocked as upgarage but an interesting mishmash of parts and usually notably cheaper than upgarage too! bought a pair of neon (one neon pink, one neon green) rims for my jzx90 back in the day for just $150, WITH a fairly meaty set of falkens on!

GHG

Congrats man.

Just remember, you have one job here - make sure he doesn't end up being a Porsche shill when he grows up.

I'd recommend Garage Off too if you can squeeze a visit in to your schedule, nowhere near as well stocked as upgarage but an interesting mishmash of parts and usually notably cheaper than upgarage too! bought a pair of neon (one neon pink, one neon green) rims for my jzx90 back in the day for just $150, WITH a fairly meaty set of falkens on!

I'll definitely have to check that place out. I'll be in Tokyo from Monday afternoon till Wednesday morning and I have zero plans other than wandering around and probably buying things.

I'm not actually doing anything till Thursday when I'll be in Fukuoka, lol. It just worked out that way with plane tickets being cheaper flying in on Monday.

BCunJqu.jpg

Holy shit dude. It's the car I would drive if money was no object.

Also, congrats Alphasnake!

mashoutposse

Ante Up

Congratulations!

AlphaSnake

Congrats man.

Just remember, you have one job here - make sure he doesn't end up being a Porsche shill when he grows up.

Haha of course not. I've already told him if he makes me proud, he's getting a 2032 FType.

Thanks for the input guys! I've always loved white on gold combos. Back in the Evo days, my dream build was a white Evo 9 MR with JDM rear in carbon and gold Volk CE28Ns.

Those HRE's aren't cheap, so not sure if I'll get them anytime soon.

Also, went out driving with my GT3RS friend today. It's finally broken in. He revved it to 8800 RPMs in an underpass and the sound was spine tingling. Can't wait to thrash it at the track this Friday!

Here's side by side shot. My car looks kinda small next to it. lol

We are both thinking about getting some sort of liveries on our cars to make them stand out a bit. Anyone have suggestions?

whNO8x1.jpg

Martini livery is my fav (without the martini logo)

this one was cool too

matmanx1

Personally I think the HP is just fine , the low end torque dip is what kills it. Its pretty good on a track with a decent driver who can keep it at high RPMs. But drop below 5k and its crappy. Hopefully with the new model , they fix that with the agressive gearing and get rid of the torque dip.

I kinda dont get how the CTSV won because it did better on the Track. It makes sense for a sports car like if you were comparing a 911 or a corvette or something. But a 4 seater Sporty Sedan, Its primarily going to be for street use. Where they said the GS-F is much better. I know they despise the looks , but eh the GS pulls it off better than the IS with that weird swiggly headlights.

How come? I driven an ND at AutoX , its a superb car. One the few modern cars that has lost weight instead of becoming fat. The agressive gearing is also really good with how much faster the car feels. Though I havent been in an NB for comparison.

Welcome to the thread. We don't actually hate the 86 cars over here by any means. We're pretty all encompassing, actually. Cars, trucks, luxury, sport, cheap speed and pricey performance, AutoGaf pretty much covers all the bases.

Aww, congrats man. The newest Jaguar afficionado has officially begun his journey!

Malvolio

Why stop there?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My car went from "in transit" to arrived. You know, an hour after I took off for a weekend road trip...

I pick it up Sunday when I get back.

DarkestHour

Banned

As someone that had mostly LSx engines it'd been interesting adjusting to the 5.0 Coyote in my Mustang. The thing loves to rev and it is unbelievable how awesome the car is when you keep it north of 3.5K+ all the time. The throttle response is insane!

Congrats on BetaSnake, Alpha!

BCunJqu.jpg

- Fuel pump likely dead

This is AWESOME!!! Seriously, I spent some time just drooling over the vintage cars that Rocky Auto brought to TAS. I also spend some time eying one down in Nissan's DNA garage.

Too cool my man!

With Up Garage, it's all about the luck of the draw, and constantly looking. Case and point, I bought some Augusta Coilovers from Up Garage for about $1000 CND shipped. These new would have run me $1700 before shipping. The reason? They were marked as "unknown brand" so the marked it down.

I also purchased a Power FC ECU for my Chaser. It was the more expensive D-Jetro version (with sensors) and boost controller kit ($400). It was listed for about $80 less then what you can purchase the regular MAP version. Why so cheap? They didn't list which version it was, so people probably assumed that it was the regular MAP version.

That's a come up! But that's also why I spend WAYYYY too much time on that site (and YAJ).

boltz

So, there's sane levels ($500 or less), then there's insane levels ($?)

The G920 is the champ of the sane levels.

If you want to go crazy, which given the laptop gaming is probably not the case, you can piece together some pretty amazing setups here: https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/

Yeah I I looked at the Fanatec website and their top of the line setup looks fantastic, but at 100x the cost of the G920. So I ordered the G920 and can't wait to see how well it emulates the real thing.

And congrats Alpha!

No Love

Banned
As someone that had mostly LSx engines it'd been interesting adjusting to the 5.0 Coyote in my Mustang. The thing loves to rev and it is unbelievable how awesome the car is when you keep it north of 3.5K+ all the time. The throttle response is insane!

You should feel the throttle response on an NA V8 with ITB's... 😍

Oxn

Yeah I I looked at the Fanatec website and their top of the line setup looks fantastic, but at 100x the cost of the G920. So I ordered the G920 and can't wait to see how well it emulates the real thing.

And congrats Alpha!

Yea i went ahead and looked for myself, cause i would love a wheel when I get a VR headset but damnnnnn at the fanatec price.

The wheel base which is mandatory (if im reading correctly) is $600, then you gotta add a wheel that can range from 150-400. I have my eye on the 400 one. Plus the pedals, and we are looking at over 1grand for a simple set up, that doesnt even include a clamp, or shifters.

mkenyon

Banned
I got a chance to try one out, when I was up buying a super rare PC case from some guy in Bellevue.

The difference between that and my G29 was incredible, and made it feel like a real simulation rather than a pretty good game controller.

If I were big time into racing sims, I'd be all over it.

Anion

Woah man congrats. You do know that you have to get him a jaguar when the time comes...cant break the combo anymore lol.

Congrats Alpha!

We are expecting our first in September. Just bought this bad mofo

FullSizeRender_zpsb6fsti1c.jpg

What a garage man...I mean both your cars and your actual garage. Is that epoxy flooring? I was thinking of doing that to my parents garage myself with a $400 kit.
My car went from "in transit" to arrived. You know, an hour after I took off for a weekend road trip...

I pick it up Sunday when I get back.

Its literally one of the best feelings man. That delivery feelz. Also, I saw the new A4 on the road today and it looks really sharp. Audi did a good job in making it still look "Audi" but fresh.

Top Bottom