• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Anyone have experience with the W204 C-Class?

Thinking of picking one up for the wife and FINALLY replacing her aging E36.

The only thing I have heard is to stay away from the 4matic stuff.

matmanx1

I'm a 41 yr old man that wants to trade my 2013 BMW 3 series for next year's Civic Type-R. Am I crazy?

Nah, not crazy. I'm 41 and I bought an MX-5 this year and drive it at least as often as my "daily driver". Of course, it's not my only ride so I do have the option of driving something quiet and cushy if I want to.

So you have to ask yourself: how important is a quiet comfortable ride, even if only once in awhile?

I was shopping for a W204 C-Class (e.g. C250) a month ago, but ended up getting a W212 E-Class. The price difference isn't that severe. As for the W204, I recommend getting a 2011+, that is, the facelifted model years. It is a significant improvement over the older W204's.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Saw a mint 74 (guess) Celica (fastback) this weekend on Orcas Island. Old dude driving it gave me the distinct impression he'd just maintained it perfectly, rather than restored it. Never got a chance to take a photo or talk to him, but I was basically smitten. Looked like this:

rVobODy.jpg

Saw a mint 74 (guess) Celica (fastback) this weekend on Orcas Island. Old dude driving it gave me the distinct impression he'd just maintained it perfectly, rather than restored it. Never got a chance to take a photo or talk to him, but I was basically smitten. Looked like this:

rVobODy.jpg

Gorgeous! I even like the 80's Supra wheels and JDM mirrors.

rVobODy.jpg

If you love that car, have you seen the Carfection video about one?

Evo X

I'm a 41 yr old man that wants to trade my 2013 BMW 3 series for next year's Civic Type-R. Am I crazy?

You will definitely get a lot of stares driving a "boy racer" car at that age. But if you can ignore it, go ahead and get one!

If you want a more fun car, but still want to appear "classy" maybe look into a nice preowned BMW M2 next year. It should drop to under $50K by then.

Got my headers installed on the Mustang and I get a big smile every time I floor it.

Sweet! Post a video. I want to get headers for my car too.

Some pics from the Fuji 86 Style + BRZ event a few days ago, sadly didn't get any of the drift events later in the day as I had prior engagements and had to bounce by 1pm.

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Eh, I'll be quiet and comfortable when I'm dead. Until then it's Buells and my Porsche roadster baby :p.

Well said my man! :D

Just in case anyone didn't see, the cool documentary APEX: The Story of the Hypercar just hit on Netflix.

Thanks. Added to queue.

The original Fast and Furious trilogy was just added to Netflix as well for anyone interested.

Saw a mint 74 (guess) Celica (fastback) this weekend on Orcas Island. Old dude driving it gave me the distinct impression he'd just maintained it perfectly, rather than restored it. Never got a chance to take a photo or talk to him, but I was basically smitten.

I don't know why, but I've been in love with the Toyota 2000GT ever since I first saw one.

Really unfamiliar with classic cars, but would get one of those if I was rich.

As the owner of a 2012 335, I can say that I saw a 4-door Civic not-R turbo while washing my car this weekend and actually thought it looked really damn nice (Though I'd still never trade my BMW for one lol).

Evo X

Holy Shit A Ford Mustang GT350 Turned Into A 100 MPH Fireball

A Mustang GT350 had a major engine failure at Roebling Road Raceway in Georgia, sending a bunch of oil out of its oil filter adapter housing—oil that eventually touched something hot, and turned into a massive fireball. Here are some photos of the blaze and the aftermath, which can best be described thusly: holy shit.

According to the guy behind the wheel, Joe “HiPo Joe” Charles, a snap ring in his Mustang GT350's oil cooler thermostat failed while he was driving hot lamps around Roebling Road back in April. The failed snap ring caused a plug to be pushed out of the oil filter adapter housing, sending loads of oil out of the engine. Joe thinks that oil touched the catalytic converter, and turned into a huge fireball.

But the fire wasn’t the only terrifying bit; perhaps just as terrifying was the fact that Joe, who was at the time traveling 100 MPH, lost all brakes. Joe says in his Facebook post:

"The heat from the flames must have been very intense as the brake fluid boiled and the brake pedal went to the floor. So now I’m still running 100+ MPH on fire with no brakes."

So Joe tried pulling the park brake:

"With no hydraulic brakes I tried to use the emergency brake. I knew that I couldn’t yank it up because it would lock the rear wheels causing me to lose what little bit of control I had. About 20% through the travel of the lever, the cable snapped."

With no brakes, Joe popped the car into first, dumped the clutch and prayed. Luckily, the car rolled to a stop “less than 30’ from corner station and the fire extinguishers.

wcv92uoyxtdvzvewmhyj.png

vgy76hniuzmkcqwimeih.png

vzayavyu0qgxvbktfas8.png

Source: http://jalopnik.com/holy-shit-a-ford-mustang-gt350-turned-into-a-100-mph-fi-1784671243

Hesemonni

Banned
Just exited undercoat and windshield insurance negotiations and "Black Rose" is parked outside and officially mine. My seven year old picked the name. Initial impressions are awestruck terror at the technology and cabin silence.

http://i.imgur.com/Sz7naV8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Audi never seizes to amaze with the cabin quality they have going. My 5-series BMW feels like a rickety-rackety ride in comparison :|

I'm not sure about the wedge under the headlights Audi has going on with some of current cars / upcoming cars, but Audis usually stand the test of time better than many other cars styling wise.

Stinkles

Audi never seizes to amaze with the cabin quality they have going. My 5-series BMW feels like a rickety-rackety ride in comparison :|

I'm not sure about the wedge under the headlights Audi has going on with some of current cars / upcoming cars, but Audis usually stand the test of time better than many other cars styling wise.

To be honest, while it's a solid looking, handsome sedan, even I am hard pressed to spot the difference (at a distance) between the 2017 A4, A6 and A4. You have to get close. Doesn't help that the A3 and A4 both look longer than they are.

But the inside is the best side.

Anyone gonna be at Wekfest NJ this weekend? I'll be there with my 1G CRX and since I don't have many car enthusiast friends that are local, I figured I'd see if anyone here is gonna by chance be visiting the venue.

I actually have a few friends driving down for it (From Toronto). I believe one or two cars have been entered into the show. Cool to see members on here who enjoy these events.

Some pics from the Fuji 86 Style + BRZ event a few days ago, sadly didn't get any of the drift events later in the day as I had prior engagements and had to bounce by 1pm.

Uploaded the rest of the pictures I took to this album
Was a nice event, probably the first time I have ever been to an event or gathering where so many of the exact same vehicle were in one place, and I have been to manufacturers shipping lots plenty of times...

Some of the guys and girls I spoke to had arrived had midnight and waited the 7 and a half hours for the gates to open just for the event, making me feel practically truant rocking up in to the overflow holding area at 7am!

Man, this is AWESOME! A few years ago I was able to attend a HKS premium day event and I NEED to head back for a large gathering. Maybe the GTR Magazine meeting.

Thanks for sharing pictures of this...

Anyone planning on hitting daikoku this weekend?

The envy is strong right now...

Stinkles

estate? or have you gone full american?

No Avants available in USA at all. Closest is the Audi AllRoad which is fine, but getting long in the tooth and not shceduled for update till next year or the year after (here).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I was going to ignore this, since I didn't feel like doling out advice...but my conscious ate at me.

This car is a piece of shit. My best friend had one. From the transmission, to the interior. It will NOT fit anybody above 5'8 in the backseats. I warn you. If you are a taller driver, then nobody will fit behind you. Period. I've been in coupes with bigger backseats, I shit you not. The middle seat is absolutely useless, it's barely adequate for a baby seat. The C300 and the 250 models are pure trash. Both are awful engines paired to an equally awful transmission.

Oh and the aesthetics, build quality, and usability of the center console? Pure garbage. My friend hated the car equally as much, but it was also his mom's car years back. I've driven it countless times when he was drunk...and I'm telling you, awful, awful, AWFUL.

Also, the suspension is murderously stiff. In Florida roads? Sure, fine. But in NYC or LA? Shoot me.

Anyone planning on hitting daikoku this weekend?

It's been way too long... maybe if Trump wins it will be a good excuse to move the family back to Japan (please ignore whatever horrible things the Japanese pols have said lately)

Or alternatively, JZX90s will hit the 25-year mark next year! If there are any left that haven't been turned in to missiles up at Ebisu...

burgerdog

So my Pilot Sport 3s have tire rot and I'm still under the 20k mile warranty, currently at 19,850. I'm going to an authorized michelin shop tomorrow so they could inspect them. Anything I should watch out for when/if they question me about the tires?

ascii42

It will NOT fit anybody above 5'8 in the backseats. I warn you. If you are a taller driver, then nobody will fit behind you. Period. I've been in coupes with bigger backseats, I shit you not. The middle seat is absolutely useless, it's barely adequate for a baby seat.
Ouch, even worse than my ATS. And that's pretty much the biggest complaint with the thing besides CUE:
Code:
C-Class                              ATS
Front legroom:41.7              Front legroom:42.5
Rear legroom: 33.4              Rear legroom:33.5

Based on my experience with my car, I'd believe you. I'm 5'8" and can sit comfortably behind myself, but I wouldn't want to be much taller. With that being said, what do you expect from a compact rear-drive sedan, particularly regarding the middle seat? I guess the 3-series is relatively roomy now.

No Love

Banned
I have never seen one of those outside of the Internet.

I used to work down the street from Lexus HQ when the LFA came out so I'd see them on the freeway or driving down the main street. Gorgeous car with a phenomenal sound, sends shivers down your spine. In person they are very impressive.

Futaba

Scored a set of 6pot runduce calipers, with more or less brand new pads and 356mm rotors for the 86 a few days ago for a hefty discount as they were pulled off a car that went up in flames, passengers side caliper is near mint, drivers side is crispy black but the pots, ports and caliper body are all fine, just need to slap in some new rubber seals after repainting and they'll be good as new!

(Paid roughly $500, they are $3495 new, score!)

Nugg

Hi Car GAF! I'm about to buy a Mazda CX-3 (new), but I don't know much about cars except that I think this one looks cool and seems to fit the kind of car I'm looking for. Is there something I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? Is it going to spontaneously catch fire after six months or something? Help!

Have you been to Odaiba before? If not definitely go and check out the History Garage.

Never been to Odaiba! In fact the last time I was in Tokyo, Toyota Amlux was fairly new (it's now gone).

Hi Car GAF! I'm about to buy a Mazda CX-3 (new), but I don't know much about cars except that I think this one looks cool and seems to fit the kind of car I'm looking for. Is there something I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? Is it going to spontaneously catch fire after six months or something? Help!

I owned the last generation of the car it's based on (Mazda2), which gave me three years of absolutely zero-trouble driving. Mazdas usually handle better than comparable cars in the class and all have great interiors.

As far as the CX-3 itself goes, if you plan on having kids at any point you may want to move up a size class to the CX-5, because the backseat and cargo area are tight fits for a family. If it's just for you or you+1, it's a great compact CUV. Certainly a better place to spend time than the Compass or HR-V.

I was going to ignore this, since I didn't feel like doling out advice...but my conscious ate at me.

This car is a piece of shit. My best friend had one. From the transmission, to the interior. It will NOT fit anybody above 5'8 in the backseats. I warn you. If you are a taller driver, then nobody will fit behind you. Period. I've been in coupes with bigger backseats, I shit you not. The middle seat is absolutely useless, it's barely adequate for a baby seat. The C300 and the 250 models are pure trash. Both are awful engines paired to an equally awful transmission.

Oh and the aesthetics, build quality, and usability of the center console? Pure garbage. My friend hated the car equally as much, but it was also his mom's car years back. I've driven it countless times when he was drunk...and I'm telling you, awful, awful, AWFUL.

Also, the suspension is murderously stiff. In Florida roads? Sure, fine. But in NYC or LA? Shoot me.

Well shit guess im gonna stay away.

Guess ill move on up to the E-Class.

Top Bottom