• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hi Car GAF! I'm about to buy a Mazda CX-3 (new), but I don't know much about cars except that I think this one looks cool and seems to fit the kind of car I'm looking for. Is there something I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? Is it going to spontaneously catch fire after six months or something? Help!
I really love the looks of the CX3 but it is too small inside; cargo and leg room is cramped as fuk. I couldn't do it and went with a used BMW 328. Also looked into the HRV which has tons of room but feels so underpowered. Hopefully Mazda announces th CX4 for US shores.

Evo X

The Grand Tour is filming an episode in southern California on September 25th! You can apply to win a pair of tickets.

Amazon.com/gp/video/splash/TGTGuestlist

No Love

Banned
Just blew another RE71r... Can't tell if I'm just having bad luck with these tires or something else is going on. That's two of them in 3 weeks.

Futaba

Just blew another RE71r... Can't tell if I'm just having bad luck with these tires or something else is going on. That's two of them in 3 weeks.

Could be a lot of things, generally repeated blowouts are, from my experience, dodgy driveways or cars lowered too much and rubbing either the suspension perch or wheel well.

E39?

Also went to look at a 500 dollar Miata but the guy on CL lied and didn't have the title so I walked.
It also had a reassigned VIN number from Maryland. Nothing but redflags, even for 500 bucks.

matmanx1

My first time. I had to look 3x before it clicked.

ifH9iJi.jpg

Gorgeous. Even with the flaws I still think the LFA is an incredible car overall.

The Grand Tour is filming an episode in southern California on September 25th! You can apply to win a pair of tickets.

Amazon.com/gp/video/splash/TGTGuestlist

That's awesome but when we are finally going to get to see an episode? Have they said?

Well the saving account took a hit, but over the winter... The Chaser will see more power! I purchased a aftermarket ECU, HPI turbo manifold (bottom mount), downpipe, fuel pump, and SARD 850CC injectors.

I just need to decide on the turbo and size...

It's been way too long... maybe if Trump wins it will be a good excuse to move the family back to Japan (please ignore whatever horrible things the Japanese pols have said lately)

Or alternatively, JZX90s will hit the 25-year mark next year! If there are any left that haven't been turned in to missiles up at Ebisu...

You will NOT like the current prices. The prices overall on 90's Japanese cars are on the rise. I hope you started to look NOW and then have it stored till its legal. Ask me if I'm joking...

mkenyon

Banned
I might have agreed with you somewhat on the 2016, but the 2017 is wholly different and pretty remarkable.
You equated it to a tech filled comfortable living room with steering you were having to get used to. (which sounds like vague and unnatural steering)

Just sayin'

*edit*

doublepost :(

TopGear says this:

When we say the focus isn’t on the driving, we mean Audi has decided not to chase BMW and Jaguar down the ‘keen driver’ route. So no, the A4 is nothing like as richly satisfying as a Jaguar XE or as nimble and playful as a BMW 3-Series.

The electric steering is sharp but you’re never exactly sure precisely where the front wheels are pointing and there’s precious little dynamic involvement or sense of enthusiasm from the inert chassis.

Instead, what the Audi does, and does very well indeed, is deliver a wonderfully refined, relaxed and comfortable experience that makes the miles slip effortlessly past. The bushing and damping is fabulous: no clonks thunk back through the rigid structure, no shudders or rattles or steering kickback either. It’s perfect isolation.

The ride is placid, the engine smooth, the seven-speed double clutch slick, the body level. It’s extremely composed. Just not a lot of fun. As such, stick with a 2.0-litre TDI, rather than a V6 or turbo petrol.
Sounds pretty opposite of what most people in here would consider for purchasing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You equated it to a tech filled comfortable living room with steering you were having to get used to. (which sounds like vague and unnatural steering)

Just sayin'

*edit*

doublepost :(

TopGear says this:

Sounds pretty opposite of what most people in here would consider for purchasing.

I didn't want to be the guy who pointed out the obvious. But yeah, precisely the above. Audis are soulless, new and old. They have literally started chasing after Lexus, which is the bread and butter of soulless. Doesn't make them bad cars. Hell, they're great DDs. But not something most of us would care for as enthusiasts.

Hey guys, was wondering if there are any good automotive podcasts that focus on both news and reviews of cars? I've been trying to find one so I can keep up with all the automotive news that comes out but no such luck. :( Any suggestions?

Well the saving account took a hit, but over the winter... The Chaser will see more power! I purchased a aftermarket ECU, HPI turbo manifold (bottom mount), downpipe, fuel pump, and SARD 850CC injectors.

I just need to decide on the turbo and size...

You will NOT like the current prices. The prices overall on 90's Japanese cars are on the rise. I hope you started to look NOW and then have it stored till its legal. Ask me if I'm joking...

Eh, they seem to be about what I paid for my 90 ... nine ten years ago now damn. I should probably change my username I haven't had that car for a while.

Smokey

Don't worry Stinkles, I for one approve of your new car purchase. Also Alpha will probably flip flop in a few months like he did the M3 ;p

AND YES YOU DID JUST THAT

mkenyon

Banned
So I dipped my toe into detailing, picked up this stuff:

Pretty happy with the way it turned out, though I think I definitely need to watch some technique videos again.

My friend who nerds out on this stuff says the Opti Seal is basically a wax replacement that is really hard to fuck up, so even scrubs like myself can get a good result :p

Still waffling on whether or not to get a tune, which may void warranty. Apparently you don't need to emissions delete on the new Cummins, which would be a dealbreaker for me. I enjoy my truck not smelling like diesel fumes.

efibyryandyno.jpg

STOCK: 335.03 HP / 698.51 TQ
60HP TOW: 401.77 HP / 885.09 TQ
90HP STREET: 429.67 HP / 955.50 TQ
130HP HOT: 463.81 HP / 1074.71 TQ
Don't worry Stinkles, I for one approve of your new car purchase. Also Alpha will probably flip flop in a few months like he did the M3 ;p

Hey, no one disapproves of the purchase (at least I don't think so). If someone were in the market for a comfy ride that's quick with a bunch of tech goodies, def seems like a great purchase.

Different strokes. Shit, not many people would be interested in my automobile either in this thread :p

inb4 Alpha's return to Audi

Never been to Odaiba! In fact the last time I was in Tokyo, Toyota Amlux was fairly new (it's now gone).

Tokyo Mega Web is just ok, there wasn't much going on the last time I went though. I'd echo visiting the History Garage. If you ever make your way to Hiroshima, check out the Mazda tour, it was great and you get to check out their assembly line.

So I dipped my toe into detailing, picked up this stuff

Get ready for a money sink! I keep wanting to try new products, but it gets expensive fast. I just happened to wash my car today too, no detail though, it's too damn hot.

hnVg18z.jpg

grendelrt

Tokyo Mega Web is just ok, there wasn't much going on the last time I went though. I'd echo visiting the History Garage. If you ever make your way to Hiroshima, check out the Mazda tour, it was great and you get to check out their assembly line.

Get ready for a money sink! I keep wanting to try new products, but it gets expensive fast. I just happened to wash my car today too, no detail though, it's too damn hot.

hnVg18z.jpg

Car is still sooo sexy.

Evo X

Something wild showed up at my detail shop yesterday so I had to snap some quick pics next to it. Apparently this guy was getting it detailed after a track day. Baller as fuck.

3HHdhOc.jpg

nwqHBRS.jpg

TTTR

Something wild showed up at my detail shop yesterday so I had to snap some quick pics next to it. Apparently this guy was getting it detailed after a track day. Baller as fuck.
Very nice. Can't remember when i saw one live but the sound is still in my head.

AlphaSnake

No one disapproved, fool. You gotta read. It's a great DD. But not an enthusiast's choice.

Just like the M is a great car for 60K, but not at the $80K sticker the one I drove was at. Stahp.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No one disapproved, fool. You gotta read. It's a great DD. But not an enthusiast's choice.

Just like the M is a great car for 60K, but not at the $80K sticker the one I drove was at. Stahp.

I'd like to make a couple of points in the car's defense. The electrically assisted steering takes a while to get a feel for, but soon becomes second nature and with the drive settings set to "sport" it feels significantly sportier and more responsive than a BMW 5 series- which is a better comparison vehicle than the 3. I've driven both the current gen 5 and 3 - no argument that the 3 is more thrashable and raw fun, but it's better in almost every regard than the 2015 5 series.

Further the throttle response and acceleration are excellent. At 5.3 to 60 mph it's faster than some recent-ish S4s.

Secondly the thread is for all car enthusiasts, not just racing/sport enthusiasts.

AlphaSnake

I'd like to make a couple of points in the car's defense. The electrically assisted steering takes a while to get a feel for, but soon becomes second nature and with the drive settings set to "sport" it feels significantly sportier and more responsive than a BMW 5 series- which is a better comparison vehicle than the 3. I've driven both the current gen 5 and 3 - no argument that the 3 is more thrashable and raw fun, but it's better in almost every regard than the 2015 5 series.

Further the throttle response and acceleration are excellent. At 5.3 to 60 mph it's faster than some recent-ish S4s.

Secondly the thread is for all car enthusiasts, not just racing/sport enthusiasts.

I have nothing against the car, you don't have to convince me. I've owned plenty of Audis before, old and new. It's just not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't kick it out of my garage either.

J-Rzez

The FD RX-7 and MKIV Supra's are timeless to me. Only Toyota has managed to make one memorable car since then in the LFA, and others seem to like the Miata, but they're totally different types of cars. Toyota and Mazda need to get on that again. I know Toyota has something in the works but if they put the Supra badge on it, it better be worthy of it. If the cars going to suck then they should just do what they do now and just throw a bunch of those kids fridge magnet letters at the car and see which 3 or 4 letters/numbers stick the best 2 out of 3 times.

From the Dallas Cars and Coffee Facebook page:

13900113_1440770435943725_8737734864029033408_n.jpg

Damn Mustang drivers ruining our fun!

Kidding aside though, I'm not too terribly surprised they're enforcing stricter rules here. A lot of the people who peel out of the lot look like they have no experience whatsoever in high-performance driving situations.

There were seriously a number of times when you can see and hear the younger drivers mash the gas as they're leaving the lot. Whereas the dudes who actually know what they're doing, ease out of the lot, and stomp on the gas when they're in a straight line.

I was actually planning to go tomorrow and shoot some vids but it's 2AM over here and that means I'd have to be up in 4 hours then drive 45 minutes... so nah, maybe next time when it's less hotter.

Found a picture of Alpha driving around

Gf9WMnC.jpg

LMAO.

The FD RX-7 and MKIV Supra's are timeless to me. Only Toyota has managed to make one memorable car since then in the LFA, and others seem to like the Miata, but they're totally different types of cars. Toyota and Mazda need to get on that again. I know Toyota has something in the works but if they put the Supra badge on it, it better be worthy of it. If the cars going to suck then they should just do what they do now and just throw a bunch of those kids fridge magnet letters at the car and see which 3 or 4 letters/numbers stick the best 2 out of 3 times.

Honestly, and this isn't the Mazda shill in me talking, the current crop of Mazdas are the best looking cars in the road today that isn't a expensive luxury brand, but I also don't think they're going to be timeless like the RX-7.

The 1st and 2nd gen Miatas are potentially timeless, the 3rd gen(mine) definitely won't be, and the current gen looks great but time will dictate if it's going to be timeless or not.

But yeah, the FD RX-7 is still one of the most beautiful cars to ever come out of 90's Japan. It's somewhat of a shame that it had a rotary in it so there really aren't any good examples these days but I also don't think it wouldn't have its legendary status without a rotary.

All I know is, if the RX-Vision concept doesn't make it into production, I'll definitely be on the hunt for an FD instead.

This page delivers sexy! LFA, Ferraris & an F-Type.

RapidCancel - that is one sexy piece of machinery. Timeless indeed. IMO the RX-7, Supra, MR2 and in the right color the FTO all hold up from the 90s. Especially with the right wheels on them. I might be biased on the MR2, since I owned and loved a '98 back in the day. And a friend drove an FTO.

I think the new MX-5 design is pretty sharp, especially that fastback version that is coming out. Just needs bigger, better looking aftermarket wheels to fill those arches and its gold.

One of those shows up at Redmond Coffee and Cars every now and then. Slays everything. Except this guy:

F2l5GrK.jpg

Yeah, I have some in-laws that live in Medina and one day at a park I first heard, then saw that Enzo go by. Gorgeous! I haven't been to RTC exotics in a while, need to go check out that F40!

hnVg18z.jpg

Beautiful. Best looking car of the 90s.

Futaba

0dQLoOa.jpg

Caliper restorations going well! just waiting on the high temp undercoat, paint and clearcoat cans to arrive and it'll be good as new.
New inner and outer seals arrived already, so they'll be ready to install once the paints on and cured.

Already got some endless swivel steel brake lines waiting to go on with them too! should be a nice upgrade from the stock single side 2 pot subaru calipers.

And TRA-Kyoto have just announced their Pandem v3 (Rocket bunny v3) kit!
uKEFNdW.jpg

KoUxaNq.jpg

VbvzgXX.jpg

Makki

i could feel my inner rage building as they continued to squeak...

I ended up laughing when the left one decided to say fuck it and went its own way and ended destroyed lol.

Finally got to give the new Golf R a good wash and man... I keep staring back at it while its parked. I had never bought the top trim of any car I've owned, and although this is shit by this thread's standards, I love the feeling...

Been keeping a close eye on the RX-Vision. I really hope it lives up to something special.

You guys see the lady drive an old Mercedes over the front of a Speciale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1hViyCGLws

Ouch. At least it wasn't a lot worse.

Top Bottom