• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You guys jelly of my new 6x6?

13892243_1383737284976189_7079907930581160558_n.jpg

For some reason the Jesus infested embankment behind it makes perfect sense.

01eNsWf.gif

My new Audi had its first issue today. They did some weird billing thing, and my free trial of Audi Connect got turned off, so I couldn't use the Google Maps photo-view on the virtual cockpit. However, it's been a good way to figure out if I need to subscribe when the trial ends (which I plainly don't)- but it looks so SEXY....

Anybody seen the anime-movie Redline?

That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I've actually been wanting to watch since it always comes up as a car enthusiast movie-to-watch and it really did not disappoint. Sure the cars weren't based on anything in real life but the sheer ridiculousness, plus the beautiful animation makes it worth a watch.

ameratsu

Anybody seen the anime-movie Redline?

That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I've actually been wanting to watch since it always comes up as a car enthusiast movie-to-watch and it really did not disappoint. Sure the cars weren't based on anything in real life but the sheer ridiculousness, plus the beautiful animation makes it worth a watch.

I saw it when it came out. It's tons of fun, I should watch it again.

TTTR

man the new DB11 is giving me constant boners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ua2usDyIRI

never liked Aston Martin much but the new DB11...phew..
For me it's quite different. It looks good from the side and the front but the rear? oh my god. they tried too hard. it almost looks hideous. they may have caught up on the technical side but again, why did they have to go with the MB tablet? Downsizing, maybe they absolutely had to but the better choice would have been to go without turbochargers like the F12. Electric steering? I wouldn't prefer it.

Sorry for ranting. It certainly is a stunning car but many things could have been done better in my opinion.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
For me it's quite different. It looks good from the side and the front but the rear? oh my god. they tried too hard. it almost looks hideous. they may have caught up on the technical side but again, why did they have to go with the MB tablet? Downsizing, maybe they absolutely had to but the better choice would have been to go without turbochargers like the F12. Electric steering? I wouldn't prefer it.

Sorry for ranting. It certainly is a stunning car but many things could have been done better in my opinion.

As an AM fanboy, I totally agree. The rear is fucked.

boltz

So I dipped my toe into detailing, picked up this stuff:

Pretty happy with the way it turned out, though I think I definitely need to watch some technique videos again.

My friend who nerds out on this stuff says the Opti Seal is basically a wax replacement that is really hard to fuck up, so even scrubs like myself can get a good result :p

I ended up laughing when the left one decided to say fuck it and went its own way and ended destroyed lol.

Finally got to give the new Golf R a good wash and man... I keep staring back at it while its parked. I had never bought the top trim of any car I've owned, and although this is shit by this thread's standards, I love the feeling...

Looks great, reminds me that I should really wash my Evo. Is there a product to keep the car looking good for a while for really lazy people like me who just wash and don't wax?

Evo X

Looks great, reminds me that I should really wash my Evo. Is there a product to keep the car looking good for a while for really lazy people like me who just wash and don't wax?

It's gonna cost you but you can get a coating. Cheapest is Optiguard, next level is CQuartz, then top end is Modesta, which is what I have my car coated with. Guaranteed to make the car look freshly waxed for 10 years.

Makki

Word, basically any semi-permanent coating. The dealer I bought the car from had applied something called autobond sealant. I wouldn't have opted for that but I sure as hell didn't pay for it and it's actually working pretty good so far (dirt/grime/sap wipes off with just a run of a soapy rag)

M52B28

Banned
My first time. I had to look 3x before it clicked.

ifH9iJi.jpg
I remember the first time seeing/hearing one.

My brother, mom and I were heading to the metering at HWY 1 in CA. I heard this high pitched noise I looked over, told my brother to look and be both literally squealed with excitement after seeing the thing take off from it's spot like a rocket.

The sound that the car makes is unmistakable.

Just to touch on the Tokyo Mega Web stuff, I went (In February), but I didn't feel like it was anything special. I barely even took my camera out to take pictures.

Get ready for a money sink! I keep wanting to try new products, but it gets expensive fast. I just happened to wash my car today too, no detail though, it's too damn hot.

hnVg18z.jpg

Ohhhh you can't be hiding this car like that... MORE PICTURES!

Loving those Volks as well!

Caliper restorations going well! just waiting on the high temp undercoat, paint and clearcoat cans to arrive and it'll be good as new.
New inner and outer seals arrived already, so they'll be ready to install once the paints on and cured.

Already got some endless swivel steel brake lines waiting to go on with them too! should be a nice upgrade from the stock single side 2 pot subaru calipers.

And TRA-Kyoto have just announced their Pandem v3 (Rocket bunny v3) kit!

It's been a few years since the last release right? The did the version one and two relatively close to each other.

Also what colour are you planning to painting them?

J-Rzez

Finally got to give the new Golf R a good wash and man... I keep staring back at it while its parked. I had never bought the top trim of any car I've owned, and although this is shit by this thread's standards, I love the feeling...

Certainly not a shit car. If I wanted a bit more refinement and subtlety I would have went with a Golf R. Instead, I still am immature and like a car that feels like it will turn on me in an instant if I fuck up in a turn, so I had to go with the RS.

I was talking with my buddies the other day again and we couldn't figure out why Audi didn't make good on their "Quattro" concept car.

Just to touch on the Tokyo Mega Web stuff, I went (In February), but I didn't feel like it was anything special. I barely even took my camera out to take pictures.

Ohhhh you can't be hiding this car like that... MORE PICTURES!

Loving those Volks as well!

I believe I only took 1 shot there and it was of the au cerumo Supra.

I posted these when I first bought the car, I'll post them again. I had been too busy to take more pics since then. But just my luck, I got laid off this morning, so it looks like I'll have a lot more time on my hands.

RX7 by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

RX7 Interior by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

The OT car related threads have been on a roll lately.

I'm not a car person, but apparently I'm probably getting a Toyota Mirai in the next month (hydrogen cells), so yay. Do I need to know anything about driving a hydrogen cell car versus a normal car? Should I be buying a life insurance policy haha? &etc

All the presentations/materials I've seen about the design of the tanks make it seem very safe. Have you mapped out the current filling stations? That would be my main concern.

Evo X

I was talking with my buddies the other day again and we couldn't figure out why Audi didn't make good on their "Quattro" concept car.

Audi probably didn't see much room for it in the market. The S3/RS3 already serve that function for them.

I'm not a car person, but apparently I'm probably getting a Toyota Mirai in the next month (hydrogen cells), so yay. Do I need to know anything about driving a hydrogen cell car versus a normal car? Should I be buying a life insurance policy haha? &etc

Why are you so unsure about maybe probably getting one? Is it not your decision or is someone just giving it to you? Have you considered any other vehicles?

I don't know much about them, but Elon Musk thinks Hydrogen Fuel Cell is dumb because the electrolysis process to produce Hydrogen is very inefficient.

Watch this from the 10:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_e7rA4fBAo

The OT car related threads have been on a roll lately.

lol, those are always fun. link it here.

I believe I only took 1 shot there and it was of the au cerumo Supra.

I posted these when I first bought the car, I'll post them again. I had been too busy to take more pics since then. But just my luck, I got laid off this morning, so it looks like I'll have a lot more time on my hands.

I love this car so much. The FD is one of my favorite cars, and its nice to see one thats lightly modified. There's too many that have ugly body kits and wheels, or are trashed.

I hope you have luck getting a new job though. Getting laid off sucks.

AlphaSnake

It's gonna cost you but you can get a coating. Cheapest is Optiguard, next level is CQuartz, then top end is Modesta, which is what I have my car coated with. Guaranteed to make the car look freshly waxed for 10 years.

Word, basically any semi-permanent coating. The dealer I bought the car from had applied something called autobond sealant. I wouldn't have opted for that but I sure as hell didn't pay for it and it's actually working pretty good so far (dirt/grime/sap wipes off with just a run of a soapy rag)

There is GTechniq, the makers of Crystal Serum, which is also the priciest and lasts up to 10 years. A small 3-4oz bottle can be applied on 3 cars. And you need to be trained before you use the product, because improper usage can cause damage to the clear coat moreso than say...a compound.

But the results are impeccable. A full layer + correction costs around $2000, but the protection is well worth it. It's getting done to my car shortly.

Evo X

There is GTechniq, the makers of Crystal Serum, which is also the priciest and lasts up to 10 years. A small 3-4oz bottle can be applied on 3 cars. And you need to be trained before you use the product, because improper usage can cause damage to the clear coat moreso than say...a compound.

But the results are impeccable. A full layer + correction costs around $2000, but the protection is well worth it. It's getting done to my car shortly.

GTechniq website says Crystal Serum is only for 7 years.

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/crystal-serum

Are you paying $2K for just the body? Because I paid that much for body, wheels, and calipers in Modesta (not including the additional $600 for correction.)

AlphaSnake

GTechniq website says Crystal Serum is only for 7 years.

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/crystal-serum

Are you paying $2K for just the body? Because I paid that much for body, wheels, and calipers in Modesta (not including the additional $600 for correction.)

7 years is the average.

10 years is if the car is garaged and avoids things like salt and over exposure to sun and shitty car washes.

2K is including everything. Body, wheels, and brakes, yes.

But I'm not paying that much. The detailer is a friend of mine, and I'm helping him with some stuff. He's charging me pennies on the dollar. :)

Zyzyxxz

Audi probably didn't see much room for it in the market. The S3/RS3 already serve that function for them.

Why are you so unsure about maybe probably getting one? Is it not your decision or is someone just giving it to you? Have you considered any other vehicles?

I don't know much about them, but Elon Musk thinks Hydrogen Fuel Cell is dumb because the electrolysis process to produce Hydrogen is very inefficient.

Watch this from the 10:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_e7rA4fBAo

lol, those are always fun. link it here.

Of course Musk would think its dumb since his company is investing in a different future of cars.

The thing about hydrogen is that if there were enough stations refueling wouldn't be an issue. While the problem with pure electric motors is that even fast charging stations still make you wait quite a bit to recharge compared to the minutes it takes for hydrogen FC. Also electricity is generated from fossil fuels and if you wanna go full eco friendly then solar and wind are your options but even those aren't totally environmentally safe to other organisms and aren't that much more efficient than FC.

Despite that I would still rather stick with Tesla and their vision because I do believe the technology will advance faster than the fuel cell stuff and become far more practical as well over time.

Smokey

I'm parked behind a pretty nice white Oldsmobile drop top Ninety Eight. You'd think it was a Lambo the amount of stares it's getting lol

Hydrogen fuel cells are a way to transmit power, not produce power. You have to take electricity, convert it to hydrogen, transport it, and then convert it back to electricity. Why.

There are ways to produce it from waste gases of other processes where it's more energy efficient, but there's a limit to that for an economy sized demand (fine for individual large consumers).

It's a nice way to store and transport wind and solar energy though.

No Love

Banned
Might pick up a 6 spd 135i as a beater this week. 500+ wtq, here I come.

And how come when I said the RX7 was the most beautiful car of the '90s a few months ago so many people disagreed with me?

AlphaSnake

And how come when I said the RX7 was the most beautiful car of the '90s a few months ago so many people disagreed with me?

I don't recall anyone disagreeing.

Also, $50 says you won't get the car.

I still disagree, it's not even the most beautiful JDM car is the 90s. But looks is subjective, so no need to argue about that..

But engine wise.....straight POS....

ascii42

Hydrogen fuel cells are a way to transmit power, not produce power. You have to take electricity, convert it to hydrogen, transport it, and then convert it back to electricity. Why.

There are ways to produce it from waste gases of other processes where it's more energy efficient, but there's a limit to that for an economy sized demand (fine for individual large consumers).

It's a nice way to store and transport wind and solar energy though.

Yeah. Honda had the concept of solar hydrogen stations. I like the idea.

Funny you guys bringing up ceramic coatings. I'm like 15 hours into my application.

Washed
Nanoskin Autoscrubbed
Polished
Washed
IPA Wipedown
And just started the coating as the final step. 1.5 hours to do two layers on the hood and roof alone.

Cant wait to see the result.

Edit: For those who dont know, $62k for the new ZL1. 3.5 0-60, 11.4 quarter. Probably 10 second car with a tire like a Trofeo R or PS Cup 2. I'm just waiting to see if its faster than the Grand Sport around a track.

I don't remember anyone disagreeing. I'd say it's on par with the Supra, NSX and the R32 if we're picking from the 90s.

I still disagree, it's not even the most beautiful JDM car is the 90s. But looks is subjective, so no need to argue about that..

But engine wise.....straight POS....

I can understand why plenty of people don't like the rotary, but there's also a lot of misinformation about them around. It really hasn't been as bad as I was expecting it to be. I think the combination of people who don't understand or willing to take care of their car, along with the fact that these are all 20+ year old cars now, makes it a lot worse for the next owner who comes along that also doesn't do their research about them before buying them. A lot of new owners come into the RX7 because they just love the way it looks, but then the only info they know about the engine is "those triangle thingys that spin in circles."

Pfft... forget those people...

I can understand why plenty of people don't like the rotary, but there's also a lot of misinformation about them around. It really hasn't been as bad as I was expecting it to be. I think the combination of people who don't understand or willing to take care of their car, along with the fact that these are all 20+ year old cars now, makes it a lot worse for the next owner who comes along that also doesn't do their research about them before buying them. A lot of new owners come into the RX7 because they just love the way it looks, but then the only info they know about the engine is "those triangle thingys that spin in circles."

I've seen ownership first hand through good friends over the years, and yeah. They need more love overall, but it's not nightmarish. Though getting rid of the birds nest of vacuum lines and going single will go a LONG way.

SliChillax

Just installed a catless Armytrix downpipe, BMS JB4 chip and did a muffler delete on the M235i. It sounds like a WW2 fighter plane now haha. I also went drag racing and ended up beating two different F80 M3s in the quarter mile. Not bad considering I'm using stock run flat tires. I'll record the sound soon. Drag race organisation was typical Albanian, no security measures for spectators at all

GwKl8ZS.jpg

CzBjpNt.jpg

AlphaSnake

Just installed a catless Armytrix downpipe, BMS JB4 chip and did a muffler delete on the M235i. It sounds like a WW2 fighter plane now haha. I also went drag racing and ended up beating two different F80 M3s in the quarter mile. Not bad considering I'm using stock run flat tires. I'll record the sound soon. Drag race organisation was typical Albanian, no security measures for spectators at all

GwKl8ZS.jpg

CzBjpNt.jpg

Preach.

My best friend just went catless + custom muffler delete (with silent valve) + BMW M-Performance Tune (he got it for the burbles and pops) and he's been smoking E92 M3s and neck-neck with F80 Ms. This is on an N55 335i...CONVERTIBLE. A pig of a car, needless to say. He's going to run a JB4 over the M-tune at map 2, he will no doubt be quicker than the F80 Ms, as well.

I don't remember anyone disagreeing. I'd say it's on par with the Supra, NSX and the R32 if we're picking from the 90s.

R32?? Beautiful? That's a first. Cool, purposeful, sure. But beautiful??

I've seen ownership first hand through good friends over the years, and yeah. They need more love overall, but it's not nightmarish. Though getting rid of the birds nest of vacuum lines and going single will go a LONG way.

Yep! Then throw in water/alcohol injection for reliability purposes and you're in for a good time. Biggest killer of rotaries is heat.

R32?? Beautiful? That's a first. Cool, purposeful, sure. But beautiful??

:shrug: What can I say, I like it lol. I like it better than the R33 or R34 as well. Maybe I'm just weird.

Yep! Then throw in water/alcohol injection for reliability purposes and you're in for a good time. Biggest killer of rotaries is heat.

:shrug: What can I say, I like it lol. I like it better than the R33 or R34 as well. Maybe I'm just weird.

I like it for the same reasons I like the Subaru SVX.

nkw6G1E.jpg

I have no issue with the car, I like it too, there are just a lot of (positive!) adjectives I would use to describe how it looks before "beautiful."

Speaking of GTRs, I released almost the complete set of R35 GTR data (VIN/model code/types/dates/colours/options etc) on my website GTR-Registry.com which I've mentioned a couple of times previously.
It's broken into 5 separate VIN tables, which I'm pretty sure I've completed 4 of them up to 2013-02. The last one I haven't managed to crack yet is Other regions LHD (Notes say Middle East/Korea/Taiwan/Algeria/Lebanon and I'm sure there will be others). There's about 47 countries covered in the other 4 tables.
USA/Canada/Guam/PLT(?)
Japan
UK/Europe/Russia/Other RHD markets
Australia/New Zealand
Other LHD Markets

A more in depth summary can be found here

Top Bottom