• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

I know you all loved my 6X6, but what do you think of my pickup truck?

13937872_10154465772779974_7113714917234058456_o.jpg

matmanx1

I like it for the same reasons I like the Subaru SVX.

nkw6G1E.jpg

I love these too. I actually saw one driving around near my work this past week.

I have fond memories of a friend in highschool who's older brother bought one of those new (I'm showing my age here aren't I?) and took us for a ride. The car looked the business and was totally unlike anything else for that time period.

We went for a "spirited" drive on some back roads near his house and even though the car was quick it was really the handling and the brakes that I remember most. It was the first car that I can remember riding in that had brakes that would put you into the windshield if you weren't buckled in tightly. 0 - 100 - 0 mph runs had a bit of a push in the back and then a MASSIVE push as the car came to a stop. It was crazy to me at the time that a car could stop like that. I think it was a little bit ahead of the curve in that respect.

TylerD

Any input on E46 BMWs? They seem to move in a pretty reasonable price range, but would maintenace costs be reasonable as well?

If you want to do your own maintenance? Pretty reasonable. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection and find one with a good maintenance history and find a good indy shop if you aren't going to or can't do the work yourself. The M54 engine itself is very reliable but its the accessories you have to worry about especially cooling system. Common oil leaks are valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, CCV failure around 100K miles or so. Mine has an oil pan gasket leak that I will eventually do. Control arm bushings failing are a common issue.

A well sorted e46 non M3 is a GREAT car that will make you smile every time you drive it. There are a million resources for DIYs and pretty much every job you would want to do has been documented extensively.

You can find a very well maintained 330 coupe or sedan with the ZHP performance package for under 10K. I have a 2006 330ci ZHP 6spd manual. I've owned the car since September 2012, here's my maintenance history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d_Bmi1qdxby4zpC56xQxwXABOwtaE6AdBF-W9K3MTgQ/edit?usp=sharing

edit: Here is a great wiki for the e46 http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

Pinewood

If you want to do your own maintenance? Pretty reasonable. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection and find one with a good maintenance history and find a good indy shop if you aren't going to or can't do the work yourself. The M54 engine itself is very reliable but its the accessories you have to worry about especially cooling system. Common oil leaks are valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, CCV failure around 100K miles or so. Mine has an oil pan gasket leak that I will eventually do. Control arm bushings failing are a common issue.

A well sorted e46 non M3 is a GREAT car that will make you smile every time you drive it. There are a million resources for DIYs and pretty much every job you would want to do has been documented extensively.

You can find a very well maintained 330 coupe or sedan with the ZHP performance package for under 10K. I have a 2006 330ci ZHP 6spd manual. I've owned the car since September 2012, here's my maintenance history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d_Bmi1qdxby4zpC56xQxwXABOwtaE6AdBF-W9K3MTgQ/edit?usp=sharing

edit: Here is a great wiki for the e46 http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

Im looking at the earlier models. I like the pre-facelift look more (plus these are cheaper ). Not sure from what price/up to what mileage would be reasonable? There was one 2002 325ci going for 3,3k, but that had 280k km on it plus two crashes in the register (brought from germany in 2012 so who knows what then). Basically red flags all over but I realised Id want this kinf of car. If they all werent just boring gray

FStop7

Banned
Get the rear subframe thoroughly inspected before buying any type of E46. If there is any tearing at all the cost to repair it is extreme.

Saw a new Miata on the road today, man these new designs are something beautiful. How did Mazda end up redesigning all their models and make it looks so nice?

Did Mazda hire someone of note?

2016-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Club-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

burgerdog

Looks like you can configure the new C63 AMG coupe and q60 coupe. You can build a pretty good amg for around 72k, a lot less if you don't choose the fancy wheels and sport exhaust, amongst a few other things. The Q60 can be had for 52k with some decent options, however, it can get out of control pretty quickly and get to 60k+ with some options.

Bandit1

Currently in the middle of a road trip with my BFF who went to go look at (and bought) a 2006 Pontiac GTO. (I may have encouraged him.) Impulse blue, 6-speed, well maintained, with a K&N cold air intake, Kooks headers and exhaust, and a custom tune. The car runs and sounds great, I'll get to drive it a little tomorrow.

28659583290_a9c7947385_c.jpg

Oh yeah and I also saw this BMW M1 at the motel across the street in the small town where we're spending the night:

28944902875_531c3c70d0_c.jpg

28868725031_e38a0d609c_c.jpg

~ somewhere in New Mexico

TheBear

Does anyone here own a Megane RS? Thinking about buying one as a daily drive. I know the suspension is quite stiff and won't bother me but last time I drove it the clutch felt like it would be hard work in traffic

Does anyone here own a Megane RS? Thinking about buying one as a daily drive. I know the suspension is quite stiff and won't bother me but last time I drove it the clutch felt like it would be hard work in traffic

I REALLY want one. Which model are you talking about? I thought all the 275s were sold now.

matmanx1

Saw a new Miata on the road today, man these new designs are something beautiful. How did Mazda end up redesigning all their models and make it looks so nice?

I don't know who was responsible for the design of the new Mazda cars but they are doing a great job. Nearly all of them look good and with the right wheels and trim they become really sharp. The new MX-5 is nice in pictures but (like most things) so much better in motion. I can't wait until I see my first MX-5 RF on the road.

Currently in the middle of a road trip with my BFF who went to go look at (and bought) a 2006 Pontiac GTO. (I may have encouraged him.) Impulse blue, 6-speed, well maintained, with a K&N cold air intake, Kooks headers and exhaust, and a custom tune. The car runs and sounds great, I'll get to drive it a little tomorrow.

Oh yeah and I also saw this BMW M1 at the motel across the street in the small town where we're spending the night:

I'm a fan of the GTO and that's a great color. Your friend made a good purchase.

Regarding the M1, Wikipedia says only 453 were built and 20 of those were race cars. I knew they were rare but I didn't realize quite how rare. That's a pretty cool thing to spot out in the wild like that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Love those GTOs. Really solid cars, and almost had one back in 2007, but the dealer sold it despite my deposit. Shit bags.

Regarding the M1, that's fucking crazy that a car THAT rare and THAT old is just sitting outside of a motel. Maybe it was going to a show or something, but that is one expensively rare car to just parade in the middle of nowhere. :|

Mistel

Banned
I don't know who was responsible for the design of the new Mazda cars but they are doing a great job. Nearly all of them look good and with the right wheels and trim they become really sharp. The new MX-5 is nice in pictures but (like most things) so much better in motion. I can't wait until I see my first MX-5 RF on the road.
That was one of the designs the ex head of design for North America Derek Jenkins did before he left last year.

TheBear

I REALLY want one. Which model are you talking about? I thought all the 275s were sold now.

Looking at a second hand 265.

Also, everyone shits on these cars for reliability. But in terms of value (in Australia at least) these cars are incredibly cheap second hand against their competitors. What exactly are the issues with these cars?

Also, everyone shits on these cars for reliability. But in terms of value (in Australia at least) these cars are incredibly cheap second hand against their competitors. What exactly are the issues with these cars?

I have a 182 Clio so can't be certain on the Megane's reliability, but I've never read any major issues on them. The only common issues are minor like build quality interior and exterior.

Make sure to get some pictures up and keep us posted on how it goes if that's what you go for!

I'm currently struggling to choose between 335i/RS250, totally different cars but I just want something fun.

Evo X

Holy shit, this just happened 30 mins ago in Chicago near me. Huracan speeding in front of Millennium Park, hit a light pole and split in half. Everyone got out safely before it burst into flames, but it's a crazy scene.

m67KHv7.jpg

wNEVzyd.jpg

Evo X

Went to my local Mercedes dealership today. First time driving an AMG GTS.

WOW.

Legitimately one of the best all around cars I have ever driven. You wouldn't not believe something of this size and luxury can handle this good. Even in comfort suspension, it cornered flat. Made all the right noises too in race mode and had immense thrust. Got an allocation for AMG GTR that friend put a deposit for. Can't wait to have a go in it.

We might pick up this white GTS in the interim to share and keep at my house since he has run out of garage space. lol

7tztpt3.jpg

IVxW016.jpg

AlphaSnake

http://www.thedrive.com/news/4730/a...n-gran-turismo?xid=SR&sr_source=lift_facebook

Noooooooooooo!!!! I hate these Saudi monarch fucks. And Bugatti should've never sold that damn Vision GT car.

WOW.

Legitimately one of the best all around cars I have ever driven. You wouldn't not believe something of this size and luxury can handle this good. Even in comfort suspension, it cornered flat. Made all the right noises too in race mode and had immense thrust. Got an allocation for AMG GTR that friend put a deposit for. Can't wait to have a go in it.

We might pick up this white GTS in the interim to share and keep at my house since he has run out of garage space. lol

7tztpt3.jpg

IVxW016.jpg

Don't you mean 'he' will pick up a GTS? We implies you're sharing costs.

Evo X

Don't you mean 'he' will pick up a GTS? We implies you're sharing costs.

No, we are actually thinking about buying it half and half. Then he'll trade it towards GTR, which he will pay for 100% on his own. Kind of like a super short term lease. I'll only make half the payments to drive it for a few months with none of the risks. And he has 4 other cars, so I will be doing most of the driving, especially since it's gonna be parked at my place. lol

Basically, he is interested in buying it, but is trying to mitigate the costs and wants to use my garage to store it. He'll probably only drive it like 2-4x per month. I'll have it at my disposal the rest of the 26-28 days.

kharma45

They're French so almost inevitably the electrics if anything was to have an issue.

Futaba

No, we are actually thinking about buying it half and half. Then he'll trade it towards GTR, which he will pay for 100% on his own. Kind of like a super short term lease. I'll only make half the payments to drive it for a few months with none of the risks. And he has 4 other cars, so I will be doing most of the driving, especially since it's gonna be parked at my place. lol

Basically, he is interested in buying it, but is trying to mitigate the costs and wants to use my garage to store it. He'll probably only drive it like 2-4x per month. I'll have it at my disposal the rest of the 26-28 days.

What i really wanna see you do is buy a relatively cheap tired beater and strip it out, modify it to hell and back and do crazy stuff that barely passes for street legal!

Test drove the Audi A3 yesterday. It was...okay? Felt just like a nice GTI. The one I drove had no paddle shifters and running all season tires - at 40k. I'm sure the AWD would be more useful in the normally awful PNW weather, but it was 85 and sunny so no chance to try it in the wet.

AlphaSnake

I do not understand this...you're going to have two Caymans then? That's like me having an F-Type R and an F-Type V6S.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

WOW.

7tztpt3.jpg

IVxW016.jpg

Back of the amg looks more like a Porsche than the Porsche does and is weirdly deviated from other Mercedes design language. Think I prefer the slab-back of the older 6.3

dODmMxx.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

xsoo.gif

This isn't mine, but from it's from a r/Miata Redditor living in Baton Rouge. Here it is before the flood:

His NB Miata is seriously one of the best looking NB's I've ever seen and to see it in that flood... man, my heart sank.

I'm gonna go hug my Miata right now.

Evo X

What i really wanna see you do is buy a relatively cheap tired beater and strip it out, modify it to hell and back and do crazy stuff that barely passes for street legal!

Make some suggestions and I might just do it!

I do not understand this...you're going to have two Caymans then? That's like me having an F-Type R and an F-Type V6S.

he means the AMG GT S

Do you guys have some sort of animosity towards each other?

Pretty sure Alpha knows it's an AMG GTS. He's implying that they're similar cars but yea not sure what's going on either :lol

Lol, I have no idea what he's going on about.

The AMG GTS and Porsche GT4 are world's apart. Only similarities are the color and country of origin.

One is an automatic front engined TT V8 sporty luxury missile, and the other is a 6spd manual midengined N/A flat 6 lightweight track weapon. There's plenty of arguments to be made to have both if one can afford it.

AlphaSnake

he means the AMG GT S

Do you guys have some sort of animosity towards each other?

Lol NO. I'm very sleep deprived. I just read "GTS" and thought Porsche. Fucking cars these days share the same acronyms, so I need to read full names, these days.

Pretty sure Alpha knows it's an AMG GTS. He's implying that they're similar cars but yea not sure what's going on either :lol

Nah, definitely wasn't implying they're similar cars. Just was confused.

Make some suggestions and I might just do it!

Lol, I have no idea what he's going on about.

The AMG GTS and Porsche GT4 are world's apart. Only similarities are the color and country of origin.

One is an automatic front engined TT V8 sporty luxury missile, and the other is a 6spd manual midengined N/A flat 6 lightweight track weapon. There's plenty of arguments to be made to have both if one can afford it.

No need to explain. You should've realized I was clearly confused, since I said "two Caymans". I thought GTS would be the Cayman. Like I said, sleep deprived. Having a kid ain't easy.

AlphaSnake

😂😂

get rekt by beta

I'm reading shit incorrectly all the time. LOLOL.

I was about to reply to something on the other forum and when I re-read it...I was like "wait, that's not what he said...delete. Backspace. Close tab"

Viperbah

Geo Metro with a LS1 engine or if you're feeling a little more adventurous, a Suzuki Samurai with a turbocharged Hayabusa engine to keep it in the family.

I have helped do an ls1 into a metro....not an easy swap. If you suck at welding don't even attempt lol.

Top Bottom