• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futaba

The lines between front wing and front door just look like it's a cut and shut with a weird FTO/mx5 front end welded on.
And then the line down the doors thrown away by the random sweep over the rear door handles..
What an eclectic mess *__*

Malvolio

As a former Honda guy I've been defending the new Civic's style, but this is not good. While I feel like they are finally back in the game, that is enough of a visual mess to negate any advantages that the improved performance might bring. There is a decent shape there, but so much extra crap has been added on that it's all lost. Disappointing.

Smokey

So something has been bothering me. My wife's Honda accord coupe...the shifting is awful. It's like the computer is programmed to shift at early rpms or something, and it feels bad. We have the V6 model, and even when I manually do it, something feels off.

Is this a known issue in these cars?

The Civic coupe and sedan are great, the first time I've taken a second look at a Civic since I was reading Import Tuner. The five door rear is pretty bad though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
From the plebe side of the house: Civic Hatch official, can't get MT with any nice goodies.

0affc29d-7771-4842-807c-c28eeb09abcf-720x480.jpg

Why the flippin fuck is that front 1/4 panel line completely cut off with the door line? That is appallingly lazy.

This is a Frankenstein car and it shows. It's absolutely awful looking.

AlphaSnake

So something has been bothering me. My wife's Honda accord coupe...the shifting is awful. It's like the computer is programmed to shift at early rpms or something, and it feels bad. We have the V6 model, and even when I manually do it, something feels off.

Is this a known issue in these cars?

Yep. Very common issue. These transmissions kinda suck. I take it you have the 6-speed auto, and not a CVT.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/8...-honda-accord-ex-l-v6-rough-transmission.html

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2016/transmission/shifting_roughly.shtml

The Honda forums have tons of complaints about them shifting weird.

Dealers say it's "normal", which may be true...but it's a really shitty normal.

matmanx1

You know, I don't hate it. I've definitely seen worse. If a friend or family member owned one I would be happy for them and tell them they made a smart choice. But it isn't good or cohesive either and I feel like it could have been a lot better.

I almost think Honda is going for the Lexus approach of "make it memorable by making it shocking" similar to the front end on most of the new Lexus products. Like, love it or hate it, there's no way you are going to forget it.

Why the flippin fuck is that front 1/4 panel line completely cut off with the door line? That is appallingly lazy.

This is a Frankenstein car and it shows. It's absolutely awful looking.

All 10th gen civics do this. It looks worse in this photo due to the color.

EDIT: read more detail about the trim levels. You cannot get the Sport with CarPlay, and you cannot get the Sport Touring with a manual. So if you want the extra 6hp (and whatever else the Sport comes with), you've got to give one of those up.

Pinewood

All 10th gen civics do this. It looks worse in this photo due to the color.

EDIT: read more detail about the trim levels. You cannot get the Sport with CarPlay, and you cannot get the Sport Touring with a manual. So if you want the extra 6hp (and whatever else the Sport comes with), you've got to give one of those up.
This sounds like game preorders

I have helped do an ls1 into a metro....not an easy swap. If you suck at welding don't even attempt lol.

Any pics or vids???

I'd love to see it man.

I'm pretty sure this Miata is stock though. Clean out the engine and you've got a perfect Exocet donor body.

That NB Miata though is fully modded and it's gonna be tough to get it back running the same way it was before.

It's sad either way though.

This sounds like game preorders

Maybe Honda will let prospective buyers "augment" their orders so they can everything they want?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

When we bought our Honda Fit, we ordered the "Sport" - and because dealers are fuckbags, we showed up and they had sold our car that morning to someone else. We were in a pinch, and instead bought a regular non-Sport Fit, because the difference was some trim, cruise control and manual paddles for the auto shifter.

At least that's what we thought. Later we discovered that the nogoodniks at Honda also deliberately removed the $5 armrest to create another difference.

I would not be surprised at ALL if the cruise control circuitry and electronics were actually in there, and just the stalk control was eliminated.

My neighbor has a Kia Optima with those door mirrors that fold when you park. And I was a bit jealous. Then this morning I RTFM for my new car and realized I had it too. I also didn't know I had a DVD drive in the glove box and wireless phone charging*

*This may actually be a misprint in the official spec from Europe.

Evo X

No need to explain. You should've realized I was clearly confused, since I said "two Caymans". I thought GTS would be the Cayman. Like I said, sleep deprived. Having a kid ain't easy.

And I thought me mentioning Mercedes dealer along with posting pics of the damn car would have made it pretty clear I wasn't referring to a Cayman. lol

It's OK. I forgive you on account of Beta.

Futaba

A little rant is due, before i lose my mind.
Driving in Japan is awful, I love driving in general, and love the way my car handles, so when its super late at night or im far off in the country, it's actually great.
But the first of the time, in city driving and general day to day life, driving in Japan is borderline coma inducing.

The first and most common problem is that everyone drives so rediculously slow, most roads are 30 or 40kmh maximum, and its rare im behind someone who will actually do that, or a little higher, and when people stop at red lights which you will find happens every 15 or so seconds, because this is the land of idle-stop cars and people who turn off their engine at lights even if its not automated, what you get is the lights will change to green (though they call it blue here), the person stopped at the light will eventually notice, start their engine, and slowly pull away, going through the green around 4-5 seconds after its on, then the person behind them only just starts their engine when they see the person in front move, and since thyre further from the lights each additional car takes a few seconds extra to go through the lights.
The end result is a green light that anywhere else in the world would be on long enough for 15-20 cars to get through, will here, allow 5 maybe even 6, with the last one squeezing through just as amber turns to red.
Thats assuming people are even paying attention, as a good 10% of the time, the driver wont go at all until someone honks or they look up from their phone long enough to notice the lights changed.

Then theres taxis, during the day they amble around slow as possible, overly cautious at turns and crossing pavements, overly cautious of side clearances, but as soon as the sun sets they take on an entirely different persona and drive like mad men, zipping through train crossings as the barriers are coming down, reversing at speed the wrong way down a one way street, blasting through reds seconds after they hit red, merging on to highways with little room for the driver in that lane to slow down..

Then theres the roads, many arent wide enough for the two lanes they have, some not even wide enough for one, add to that the danger of motorcyclists cutting down the center line or passing on the edges, pedestrians and cyclists ambling down the road and what you end up with is a situation where you are having to stop every 20 seconds to slowly pass someone or let another driver through, the pedestrians and cyclists especially, any time of the day will walk out into the road or just randomly turn into the road and cross without looking, so much so that I hear my partner say, at least twice a day "Wow, they must want to die or something".
A majority of these barely-wide-enough-for-two-lanes roads have a solid orange line too so you are technically not supposed to overtake, so when youre behind a bus that both goes 10km/h under the speed limit and stops every 50 or so meters, you are faced with the choice between going agnoisingly slow or breaking the law and zipping past while it stops - with the added fear or hitting someone who randomly decides to cross in front of the bus once they get off (which happens a lot).

I'm half tempted to toss my gopro in the car tonight and record for a bit just to demonstrate how atrociously bad drivers here are..

Sorry, rant over!

matmanx1

You totally should GoPro some of that. Japanese culture is endlessly fascinating to me and we could laugh and rage with you at the same time.

Driving in Japan is awful, I love driving in general, and love the way my car handles, so when its super late at night or im far off in the country, it's actually great.
But the first of the time, in city driving and general day to day life, driving in Japan is borderline coma inducing.

When I was driving there on my last trip, it was crazy to see people on the highways driving soooooooo slowwwwwww. I thought I was hitting warp speeds by driving over 100?!

City driving for me wasn't terrible, but it was odd to see people dead stop on a yellow. It did not matter if they could make the light or not, they would just stop regardless.

The first and most common problem is that everyone drives so rediculously slow, most roads are 30 or 40kmh maximum, and its rare im behind someone who will actually do that, or a little higher, and when people stop at red lights which you will find happens every 15 or so seconds, because this is the land of idle-stop cars and people who turn off their engine at lights even if its not automated, what you get is the lights will change to green (though they call it blue here), the person stopped at the light will eventually notice, start their engine, and slowly pull away, going through the green around 4-5 seconds after its on, then the person behind them only just starts their engine when they see the person in front move, and since thyre further from the lights each additional car takes a few seconds extra to go through the lights.
The end result is a green light that anywhere else in the world would be on long enough for 15-20 cars to get through, will here, allow 5 maybe even 6, with the last one squeezing through just as amber turns to red.
Thats assuming people are even paying attention, as a good 10% of the time, the driver wont go at all until someone honks or they look up from their phone long enough to notice the lights changed.

Then theres taxis, during the day they amble around slow as possible, overly cautious at turns and crossing pavements, overly cautious of side clearances, but as soon as the sun sets they take on an entirely different persona and drive like mad men, zipping through train crossings as the barriers are coming down, reversing at speed the wrong way down a one way street, blasting through reds seconds after they hit red, merging on to highways with little room for the driver in that lane to slow down..

Then theres the roads, many arent wide enough for the two lanes they have, some not even wide enough for one, add to that the danger of motorcyclists cutting down the center line or passing on the edges, pedestrians and cyclists ambling down the road and what you end up with is a situation where you are having to stop every 20 seconds to slowly pass someone or let another driver through, the pedestrians and cyclists especially, any time of the day will walk out into the road or just randomly turn into the road and cross without looking, so much so that I hear my partner say, at least twice a day "Wow, they must want to die or something".
A majority of these barely-wide-enough-for-two-lanes roads have a solid orange line too so you are technically not supposed to overtake, so when youre behind a bus that both goes 10km/h under the speed limit and stops every 50 or so meters, you are faced with the choice between going agnoisingly slow or breaking the law and zipping past while it stops - with the added fear or hitting someone who randomly decides to cross in front of the bus once they get off (which happens a lot).

I'm half tempted to toss my gopro in the car tonight and record for a bit just to demonstrate how atrociously bad drivers here are..

Sorry, rant over!

Lol, that sounds terrible. Though I've never really noticed any of this in all my time in a car in Japan. Although all that time was down in the south, so maybe everyone drives differently there.

Sorry, rant over!

Kind of glad that I kept my driving to Hakone and the Mazda Turnpike. Those were a blast to drive around.

Futaba

When I was driving there on my last trip, it was crazy to see people on the highways driving soooooooo slowwwwwww. I thought I was hitting warp speeds by driving over 100?!

City driving for me wasn't terrible, but it was odd to see people dead stop on a yellow. It did not matter if they could make the light or not, they would just stop regardless.

Gets worse the closer to a major metropolitan area you get. on the toll highways it's fine though you do get the occasional truck switching lanes without indicating or someone trundling along in a march 5k under the limit in the fast lane.

Kind of glad that I kept my driving to Hakone and the Mazda Turnpike. Those were a blast to drive around.
Road system around Hakone is great (and usually empty if you avoid national holidays( gets congested as you approach the coast or head south to Atami and the surrounding area, but up in the hills or on the Izu skyline it's great!

Lol, that sounds terrible. Though I've never really noticed any of this in all my time in a car in Japan. Although all that time was down in the south, so maybe everyone drives differently there.
Smallish town where you were? if you&re out in the smaller towns around the tokyo area or further out it's not too bad but mainly because the roads are less busy, if you're somewhere that serves a major gateway to a large city (im a stones throw from the tomei expressway) then mornings and evenings are literally hell on earth.

Smallish town where you were? if you&re out in the smaller towns around the tokyo area or further out it's not too bad but mainly because the roads are less busy, if you're somewhere that serves a major gateway to a large city (im a stones throw from the tomei expressway) then mornings and evenings are literally hell on earth.

I spent a lot of time in Hiroshima, which was pretty good, but the city seems a bit better designed for car travel than other larger cities I've been in.

Just recently went to Iki island, which is tiny, and the 50km/h speed limits are plenty. Especially trying to get up some of the hills in a Daihatsu mira kei car with 4 people in it.

How many here have gone on some road trips around the states? I'm thinking about starting off in Texas and maybe head towards the Bonneville Salt Flats as my goal.

Evo X

How many here have gone on some road trips around the states? I'm thinking about starting off in Texas and maybe head towards the Bonneville Salt Flats as my goal.

I drove from Southern California to Chicago this past March. Posted about my experience in this thread way back.

Futaba

You totally should GoPro some of that. Japanese culture is endlessly fascinating to me and we could laugh and rage with you at the same time.

Knowng my luck I'll record and everyone will suddenly be on their best behaviour, though I'm planning to hit a hard off store later today to check out some tools so I'll record anyway.

I flew from Australia to LA, got a rental > San Diego > Las Vegas > Salt Lake City > Spokane > Banff > Seattle > Portland > Sacramento > LA over 10k kms was pretty fun.

Falch

Just got back this weekend from a two week road trip in Colorado. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen (Rocky Mountains), lots of nice towns (Boulder, Frisco, Breckenridge, Vail) and Denver's really nice too. We drove around in a Ford Mustang cabriolet. Had a blast.

I drove from Seattle to Sacramento and back last weekend, and will be doing Seattle > Sac > LA this weekend. Have driven up and down the west coast for decades but never road tripped any further East than Reno :\

I drove from Southern California to Chicago this past March. Posted about my experience in this thread way back.

Just checked it out, nice drive! I want to experience some new scenery besides the flat lands in Texas.

I flew from Australia to LA, got a rental > San Diego > Las Vegas > Salt Lake City > Spokane > Banff > Seattle > Portland > Sacramento > LA over 10k kms was pretty fun.

You've been to more places in the US than I have and I live here!

Just got back this weekend from a two week road trip in Colorado. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen (Rocky Mountains), lots of nice towns (Boulder, Frisco, Breckenridge, Vail) and Denver's really nice too. We drove around in a Ford Mustang cabriolet. Had a blast.

Where was your starting point? Did you drive around to the west of Denver? I'm looking at some mountain roads over by San Juan national forest and also by Mt Elbert and Mt Evans.

I drove from Seattle to Sacramento and back last weekend, and will be doing Seattle > Sac > LA this weekend. Have driven up and down the west coast for decades but never road tripped any further East than Reno :\

I think the furthest I've ever driven was from Texas to Arkansas which was about a 9 hour drive. The scenery in Arkansas was a great sight.

Whoa! That's amazing... Though you did fly half way around the world, so I'd imagine that you'd want to see as much as possible.

AlphaSnake

The Maybach coupe is basically Mercedes' answer to the Rolls Royce, it seems? It is a bit TOO long though.

rykomatsu

Preach.

My best friend just went catless + custom muffler delete (with silent valve) + BMW M-Performance Tune (he got it for the burbles and pops) and he's been smoking E92 M3s and neck-neck with F80 Ms. This is on an N55 335i...CONVERTIBLE. A pig of a car, needless to say. He's going to run a JB4 over the M-tune at map 2, he will no doubt be quicker than the F80 Ms, as well.

Wish I could run JB4, but it's not CARB legal so no go for a daily driver :( I think Dinan mods are largely legal, though, so might look into that.

N55 is a wonderful motor, though...loving the shit out of mine :)

Was out eating lunch at Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken in Downtown Austin when I accidentally ran into these:

Turns out it was the Circuit of the Americas "Downtown Paddock" aka the COTA fanshop and they had a collection of the gear Ayrton Senna used during his F1 days.

Needless to say I lost my shit. This is as close as I'll ever get to meeting one of my heroes, since you know, he's dead and all.

Unfortunately they didn't have anything Senna related on sale besides a replica helmet that was motherfncking $3500 grand so I ended up buying a $8 dollar lanyard from the race last year lol.

Excuse the shitty pics btw. I didn't bring my camera since I was actually in town to help move stuff in the dorms at UT.

Sidenote: don't park at the paid parking lot next to it. Granted the only reason why I ran into the store was the parking lot since it had a giant mural with a purple F1 car... but it cost $12 bucks to park for 9 hours! $12 bucks!!! @____@ I know that's standard city/downtown parking but yeesh... I was only at the restaurant and the store for a total of 2.5 hours.

AlphaSnake

$12 for 9 hours is incredible!

In NYC $12 is 30 minutes. $60 will get you 3+ hours.

Falch

Where was your starting point? Did you drive around to the west of Denver? I'm looking at some mountain roads over by San Juan national forest and also by Mt Elbert and Mt Evans.

We drove from Denver Airport to Boulder and stayed there for one night, then drove to Estes Park via the peak to peak highway the day after. Spend two nights at Estes Park during which we went to Rocky Mountain national park, then drove back to Denver. Spent four days there before driving to Avon/Beaver creek, checked out Mt Evans along the way, used the next day to visit Frisco and Vail and than drove to Colorado Springs. Went to Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods on the final days of our trip, before we flew back from Denver airport.

Top Bottom