• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Very easy if you don't live somewhere too busy, I have 2 parking spaces and rent a shipping container storage unit that has two cars currently not registered for road use, one a restoration project and one thats waiting to take a place in my garage eventually.

If all goes well the house we're building will have enough space to house three inside and one outside.

Would be near impossible to achieve that in a built up area though!

What area are you living in?

Hakosuka skyline gtr and an nsx-r gt , and either my current 86 or the new one I buy if I end up going ahead with going full track spec on the current

I didn't know you also had an nsx. Man, I should have hung out with you when I was in Japan, you got all the cool things.

Futaba

I didn't know you also had an nsx. Man, I should have hung out with you when I was in Japan, you got all the cool things.

Hit me up next time you're over!

Now I gotta got lock all the shutters down and grab some emergency supplies, seems were about to get hit by a pretty substantial storm tonight/tomorrow

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
um...an nsx-r gt??? only 5 made all sold to racing teams...and cost probably a near a million...hard to believe...

Yeah, with those two cars Futaba sounds like he's got some sort of connection to a team, through management or ownership. Maybe Spoon?

Talk, Futaba. We must know.

Edit: Unless you are an executive AT Futaba the RC company?

Futaba

um...an nsx-r gt??? only 5 made all sold to racing teams...and cost probably a near a million...hard to believe...

Yeah, it's not a true GT sadly, just an nsx-r type R with replica/reproduction parts to give it the same appearance as the GT, roof scoop included, when I bought it at auction the owner who was doing the conversion had pulled the engine for whatever reason, so it was (obviously) a non runner, still was immaculate and only had 27k on the clock so I bought it on impulse, even though the auction was on the other end of Japan, and I didn't have space for it, so it sits in a family friends garage up in Hakodate, waiting for me to have the space and time to have it transported down so I can get to work on bringing it back to life, same goes for the hakosuka I pickled up that used to be sat behind a row of vending machines rusting away, that's at least in dry storage a short drive away!

But no, not a true nsx-r gt, I'm just in the habbit of calling it that because it's been modified to look like one!

I admit I planned on keeping that bit quiet at first and putting up some pics to blow minds but I can't be that cruel haha

Futaba

Well, I know who I'm PM'ing when I visit Japan.

Do it! We can do my favourite passtime of buying an old kei far for $500 with a couple months registration left, throw it around in the mountains then get most of the money back selling it on when we are done, providing you don't hit anything!

Heck sometimes you'll make a few hundred extra too

Short of getting a completely different engine or taking all the seats / panels out of the car to reduce weight, what's the best way to improve performance on a weak non-turbo petrol car?

I'm aware of:

Performance air filter
Performance exhaust
ECU remap (only about +10% for this car)

I think I heard something about an induction unit? Anything else I could do? I know I'm not going to end up with 200 BHP but a little more juice would be nice. (Like, seriously I'd be happy with 20 more in total)

http://www.parkers.co.uk/fiat/punto-evo/hatchback-2010/14-gp-3d/specs/

Futaba

Short of getting a completely different engine or taking all the seats / panels out of the car to reduce weight, what's the best way to improve performance on a weak non-turbo petrol car?

I'm aware of:

Performance air filter
Performance exhaust

I think I heard something about an induction unit? Anything else I could do? I know I'm not going to end up with 200 BHP but a little more juice would be nice. (Like, seriously I'd be happy with 20 more in total)

Lighter wheels and tires make a notable difference to overall feel, in both acceleration and braking because of the reduced rotational mass, changing aspiration will help to some extent if combined with a decent tune, but things like injector size and cold air intakes will make a much bigger difference if done along side forced induction.

Removing cats from the exhaust system will increase your airflow but may also cause issues legally depending on local laws, also the diameter of your exhaust plays a role and it's possible to to give it TOO much breathing room too.

Your best bet is take it for a tune and ask the tuner for his or her recommendation, a good tuner will be able to tell you what part of your system has most room for improvement.

Pinewood

Anyone here bought a car from another country and drive it home? Ive reached a new milestone in my long journey of buying a car. Basically my friend is going to Italy for a semester and since I planned to visit him there anyways I thought I could try and buy a car from there and drive it home. Cosidering its only 3000km with a used car that I dont know much about from a country where I dont speak the local language it seems like a simple task enough...

I'm aware of:

Performance air filter
Performance exhaust

New cams?

AlphaSnake

Anyone here bought a car from another country and drive it home? Ive reached a new milestone in my long journey of buying a car. Basically my friend is going to Italy for a semester and since I planned to visit him there anyways I thought I could try and buy a car from there and drive it home. Cosidering its only 3000km with a used car that I dont know much about from a country where I dont speak the local language it seems like a simple task enough...

Well, if it's all in the European Union, then you shouldn't have a problem. You pay in Euros, it gets registered temporarily, you drive it home, and get your country's plates and papers permanently.

Though, your best bet is to probably Google this information.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Found out this weekend that my Audi never got "authorized" for me to be the "key user" - took it to the dealer, they fixed the issue and BAM instant unexpected functionality upgrades.

Honestly I LOVE this car, but the depth of UI features makes me think that average owners probably won't ever see more than a third of what's actually available. And the UI changes depending on whether you're parked, ignition is off, iPhone is attached, Android phone is attached, phones are attached by USB or Bluetooth is totally different behavior... it's absolutely confusing.

However I can now remotely unlock it by phone, or check how much gas is in it, or track it like a spy movie.

I saw this beauty at my local weekly exotic car show (Exotics at Redmond Town Center) The blue is gorgeous!

La Ferrari

Iy0RAWUh.jpg

AlphaSnake

I saw this beauty at my local weekly exotic car show (Exotics at Redmond Town Center) The blue is gorgeous!

La Ferrari

Iy0RAWUh.jpg

Wow. Much muuuuuuch better looking than yellow or red.

My brother saw a Chiron yesterday at a meet. Not a pre-production model, either, It was a light blue convertible, Manhattan Motor Cars brought it. It was parked next to 4 LaFerraris and the hideous Bentayga behind them.

ascii42

Evo X

Do it! We can do my favourite passtime of buying an old kei far for $500 with a couple months registration left, throw it around in the mountains then get most of the money back selling it on when we are done, providing you don't hit anything!

Heck sometimes you'll make a few hundred extra too

Haha, for sure! What region of Japan are you in?

Found out this weekend that my Audi never got "authorized" for me to be the "key user" - took it to the dealer, they fixed the issue and BAM instant unexpected functionality upgrades.

Honestly I LOVE this car, but the depth of UI features makes me think that average owners probably won't ever see more than a third of what's actually available. And the UI changes depending on whether you're parked, ignition is off, iPhone is attached, Android phone is attached, phones are attached by USB or Bluetooth is totally different behavior... it's absolutely confusing.

However I can now remotely unlock it by phone, or check how much gas is in it, or track it
like a spy movie.

Most people don't use many of the features available in their cars. My parents didn't know for years their S-Class had a heated steering wheel.

Hell, I consider myself a pretty cutting edge tech guy, yet never figured out how to use the garage opener in my 3 Porsches and still carry a separate remote. Lol

My brother saw a Chiron yesterday at a meet. Not a pre-production model, either, It was a light blue convertible, Manhattan Motor Cars brought it. It was parked next to 4 LaFerraris and the hideous Bentayga behind them.

Are you sure you are not having another Beta induced hallucination?

According to every article online, the Chiron convertible does not exist and Bugatti has no plans to build it in the future.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30144/bugatti-chiron-no-convertible/

Smokey

According to every article online, the Chiron convertible does not exist and Bugatti has no plans to build it in the future.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30144/bugatti-chiron-no-convertible/

Alphaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

J-Rzez

The LaFerrari is nice, but as far as their limited exotics go I haven't liked those models since the F40/F50 tbh. Still beautiful cars, don't get me wrong, love the 488. But, I think this is the nicest car they make now, saw it at my local Cars and Coffee this past Sunday.

Side note. Bethlehem PA's Cars and Coffee this past Sunday was pretty wild. Probably about 500-600+ cars there.

And, got my RS tuned. Boy did it get woken up. More responsive, more powa (~340-350whp/380-390ftlb), more drivable, and picked up an extra 2mpg thus far it seems. Not bad for $650.

J-Rzez

So I just saw this commercial on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIc2YLWnd9Q

Man, fuck Honda.

Using the CR-X, Del Sol and the S2000 to sell your shit ass CUV should be a crime and whoever wrote that commercial should be hanged and quartered outside Motegi or Suzuka.

That commercial even pissed me off. I mean, they know they made cars people wanted, were fun, reliable, and affordable, and somehow tie this to another generic people mover? GTFO. It's like they're just slapping people in the face. They don't offer the Type-R in the states and even then it has it's issues, and then I'm going to say it, they mucked up the NSX, not living up to the hype. These guys and Toyota are so lost, yet Subaru is there emulating their 80's and 90's and increasing sales repeatedly YoY. Go figure.

AlphaSnake

The car was parked alllll the way in the back of the shot. The LaFerraris were in the forefront. But it just really looked like the Chiron had no roof with the seats exposed. I tried to zoom in, but it just made the pic look like shit.

That commercial even pissed me off. I mean, they know they made cars people wanted, were fun, reliable, and affordable, and somehow tie this to another generic people mover? GTFO. It's like they're just slapping people in the face. They don't offer the Type-R in the states and even then it has it's issues, and then I'm going to say it, they mucked up the NSX, not living up to the hype. These guys and Toyota are so lost, yet Subaru is there emulating their 80's and 90's and increasing sales repeatedly YoY. Go figure.

I'm not going to defend the Honda commercial, but Subaru is simply giving the customers what they always have (and folks now really want): crossovers. Most of their cars are mid-pack compared to some of the competition but America has it in their heads that high ride height and all wheel drive are now necessities. It also helps that they are the only mainstream brand to offer an actual wagon besides VW.

Pinewood

I'm not going to defend the Honda commercial, but Subaru is simply giving the customers what they always have (and folks now really want): crossovers. Most of their cars are mid-pack compared to some of the competition but America has it in their heads that high ride height and all wheel drive are now necessities. It also helps that they are the only mainstream brand to offer an actual wagon besides VW.

Funny,a big portion of the used car market here seems to be gray/black diesel wagons it seems. VW, Audi, Toyota, Subaru, Volvo, BMW, Chrysler etc.

Tizoc

Plan on getting a new car by year's end retiring my pajero 2008
Got my eye on the hyundai santafe mainly as im looking for a mini suv but am open to suggestions
My budget, for lack of a better word, is $20,000 range

Evo X

Stinkles, how could you keep the Warthog coming to Horizon 3 a secret from us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=580Z5_JwqTw

Any other AutoGAF bros picking this game up? I'm ready with the Ultimate Edition pre-order.

The car was parked alllll the way in the back of the shot. The LaFerraris were in the forefront. But it just really looked like the Chiron had no roof with the seats exposed. I tried to zoom in, but it just made the pic look like shit.

You're slipping brah.

Should have used some CSI "Enhance!" lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Any other AutoGAF bros picking this game up? I'm ready with the Ultimate Edition pre-order.

You're slipping brah.

Interesting facts:

A bunch of the Hog work was done less than two hundred feet from that Blue La Ferrari.
The Hog geo has been shrunk/scaled so it actually fits on Australian roads.
The Hog specs have been changed to both buff and nerf it - more powerful "real world" V8 engine and no four wheel steering and indestructibility.
Despite all that, it "feels" like a real life Warthog would.

FStop7

Banned
So I just saw this commercial on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIc2YLWnd9Q

Man, fuck Honda.

Using the CR-X, Del Sol and the S2000 to sell your shit ass CUV should be a crime and whoever wrote that commercial should be hanged and quartered outside Motegi or Suzuka.

Yeah, fuck that ad. There's another one full of their racing cars, the NSX, etc... and it culminates with the rolling disaster that is the "new" NSX.

Honda's completely lost the plot.

burgerdog

Yeah, fuck that ad. There's another one full of their racing cars, the NSX, etc... and it culminates with the rolling disaster that is the "new" NSX.

Honda's completely lost the plot.

That price point is just insane, how many of you would take the nsx over an r8 v10 plus or a 911 turbo S?

AlphaSnake

You're slipping brah.

I just looked at it again, the full-res pic. It was a girl's elbow that looked like the head rest and leather were exposed. He posted it on our WhatsApp group which make it tiny and poor res. And just sent me the full pic when I asked him if the Chiron was a convertible. He told me it was a regular coupe. Hehe

I'll post the pic later tonight from my desktop.

Hesemonni

Banned
Any chance of America getting a manual Subaru Levora?
maxresdefault.jpg

Basically the fun family car I always wanted.
What is this? A good looking Subaru saloon? A bit busy on fender lights, but I'm impressed.

E: After googling a bit I'm sure it's just a good picture and an good angle. Move on.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance of America getting a manual Subaru Levora?
maxresdefault.jpg

Basically the fun family car I always wanted.

1. Station wagons don't sell well historically.
2. Efficiency mandates have killed any reason to sell manual transmissions outside of specialized performance cars.
3. The trend is buyers abandoning cars for more profitable crossovers/SUVs.
4. It would compete against the same market of the Subaru Outback which is one of their strongest lines.

Plan on getting a new car by year's end retiring my pajero 2008
Got my eye on the hyundai santafe mainly as im looking for a mini suv but am open to suggestions
My budget, for lack of a better word, is $20,000 range

Not the best rear sight lines on the Santa Fe. I would suggest driving one in medium traffic to see if its tolerable for you.

Generally speaking, for $20,000 you would be better served with a CPO vehicle. Otherwise, your looking at stripped down mid-size SUV's starting around $23-26k or a fully optioned Jeep Compass. In no circumstance do you want the Compass. It would be helpful if you could answer these questions:

What do you consider necessary in a new car and what do you want, but are willing to compromise on?

Warranty coverage?
Active all wheel drive?
Type (tradition or extended to passenger area) or inclusion of sun/moon roof?
Safety?
Back seat head room?
Technology and option packages?
Do you need towing capacity?

Pinewood

Well, if it's all in the European Union, then you shouldn't have a problem. You pay in Euros, it gets registered temporarily, you drive it home, and get your country's plates and papers permanently.

Though, your best bet is to probably Google this information.

InterEU should be pretty straightforward, than again it is Italy so they might have amazing bureaucracy

I think I found my winter car (quebec).

A fully loaded 2013 santa fe with AWD, the 2.0 turbo engine with 265 horsepower, dual zone auto climate control, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, satnav, etc etc etc for a ridiculously low price, it's in a hyundai dealership, certified hyundai and carproof, so I think it's pretty legit. Mileage is pretty high though at 91k kilometers, but that's the only downside I can see.

Does anyone have comments on that model? Should I consider something else? Something I need to know about it?

Top Bottom