• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

golem

There is a reason why it isn't taken? But do it for the lulz

As the page says, personalized plates are usually subject to final review. They're usually pretty strict and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejected. Need to be somewhat clever to slip something by the DMV nowadays

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
As the page says, personalized plates are usually subject to final review. They're usually pretty strict and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejected. Need to be somewhat clever to slip something by the DMV nowadays

I went for it. Twice. I figure one dmv guy might get sloppy.

Anion

Lol, a year ago I checked and noticed the "Get rekt" was available in PA haha. It was toooooo edgy tho.

Also, gosh I hate burning through tires. I swear it must be a genetic issue. Both my father and I burn through our tires prematurely.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I've done that trip a few times.
The Carolinas feel like they go on foooooorever.

Once you get into Florida though, I know people give that state a lot of crap but I think it has some nice scenery on the way down.

Entering Florida and driving those first 75 miles feels like you're in Outrun (the arcade game). I love all the palm trees whizzing by and knowing that the water is right there. I feel such great relief every time I cross that border.

And Florida is a great state. NY is probably a lot worse with the crazies, especially the city. The only reason Florida is always in the funny or crazy news sections of publications is because all of Florida's crimes and arrests are made public to the press. So the press searches for the craziest shit they can find.

I have a lot of friends in the NYPD who have told me some absolutely insane shit in NYC. And I personally have witnessed some life changing shit in the subways. The two states also have enormous populations (21M each), so they both have some awful and redneck areas, as well as some extremely expensive ones. Sometimes, those areas can be right next to each other (which is frequently the case in NYC and Miami.

Tizoc

You should seriously consider the Mazda CX5 also. And if you're interested in a smaller vehicle, the CX3 is basically a bargain basement Audi A3.
Ill check those out as well, i hadnt seen many mazda cars over here, i guess theyre not that popular heh
Thanks mate

boltz

Manual transmissions (Especially in the US) are an absurd holdover anyway. No problem at all with them continuing to exist for enthusiasts, but the idea that you can save gas or driver faster is destroyed by the way most folks actually shift gears in this country. I get HIVES listening to shifts from Impreza and GT86 drivers. This is because in the US you can legally drive a stick shift Diablo VT after passing your test in an automatic minivan.

People can complain about CVTs and "flappy paddles" all they want, and they can inject a healthy dose of no true Scotsman, but the fact is our country has a giant percentage of people with absolutely no idea how to shift gears other than for maximum noise.

From an objective point of view, automatics (DCTs at least) do everything better than manual transmissions - they get better fuel economy and shift faster than any human ever could. It's the subjective "driving engagement" part why they still exist at all.

As for your point about folks not knowing how to shift, if someone wants to drive a manual to make lots of noise, that's their prerogative, but also, they would still be doing the same thing with an automatic, instead they would be using paddles to do it.

Man, I keep seeing that damn HR-V commercial everywhere now. I just got back from lunch at a BDubs and I saw it on a number of different channels. I just wanted to eat some wings in peace dammit.

What is the proper RPM to shift gears?

My Miata is pretty loud above 2.5K so I personally shift at 3K if I want to stay quiet, 4K if I want some noise, and redline if I really need the torque.

In an Evo X, because the boost is like a light switch that turns on around 3k rpm, if you want to have good fuel economy, you shift to stay under 3k rpm. If you want to go fast, you shift to stay above 3k rpm. In a way, it's like one of them fancy eco-mode buttons :p

Anyway, here's a gratuitous Evo pic:
29461231955_130b8e2d63_c.jpg

No Love

Banned
From an objective point of view, automatics (DCTs at least) do everything better than manual transmissions - they get better fuel economy and shift faster than any human ever could. It's the subjective "driving engagement" part why they still exist at all.

As for your point about folks not knowing how to shift, if someone wants to drive a manual to make lots of noise, that's their prerogative, but also, they would still be doing the same thing with an automatic, instead they would be using paddles to do it.

In an Evo X, because the boost is like a light switch that turns on around 3k rpm, if you want to have good fuel economy, you shift to stay under 3k rpm. If you want to go fast, you shift to stay above 3k rpm. In a way, it's like one of them fancy eco-mode buttons :p

Anyway, here's a gratuitous Evo pic:
29461231955_130b8e2d63_c.jpg

Only partially true. Psi builds via throttle input. You can drive at 7000 rpm under light throttle and not get into boost. Hitting boost is what consumes more fuel, not going over 3000 RPM.

You can shift at 3500-4000 and be fine. But what's the point of saving fuel? The Evo X's great joy is that insane spool. You should be hitting it every chance you can. ;)

Evo X

The Evo X had the worst gas mileage of any car I've owned. Although that might have partially been because of my driving style. Lol

boltz

Only partially true. Psi builds via throttle input. You can drive at 7000 rpm under light throttle and not get into boost. Hitting boost is what consumes more fuel, not going over 3000 RPM.

You can shift at 3500-4000 and be fine. But what's the point of saving fuel? The Evo X's great joy is that insane spool. You should be hitting it every chance you can. ;)

You're absolutely right - I wasn't trying to say that boost was constantly on after 3k rpm, but it can be tough to avoid it as it does not take much throttle application at all to dip into that boost.

The Evo X had the worst gas mileage of any car I've owned. Although that might have partially been because of my driving style. Lol

Yeah, especially since even freeway driving doesn't even increase your mileage that much because the engine is on boil in 5th gear and all it takes is a slight push of your right foot to get a nice rush of boost...

J-Rzez

SAVE THE MANUALS!

I concede that a good DCT/PDK will outshift me every day of the week. I will not concede that they are the better transmission though in like you said the subjective part. I only drove manual cars since I was 17 basically. There is an engagement, a feel that I can not get from the flappy paddles. :)

That is also correct about something boosted and fuel economy. If you can stay in vacuum you will get better MPGs. Soon as you come close to or hit balance (0psi) your mpgs drop. You go into positive boost, you're throwing gas to the fire.

My Evo 8 with it's mods got roughtly 12mpg on my trips due to it's mods lol. My WRX got around 29mpg on my commute. My RS since tune gets 24mpg. Too bad I can't keep off the throttle though and those pops and bangs from that tune and get around 19mpg... lol.

In Vegas this weekend and posting since my Uber driver is being a little shit and is taking his sweet ass time to get me from the MGM Grand to the Venetian...

Why the hell are there so many ricers here?

3/4's of them also have Cali plates so I'm guessing they're also visiting?

On the other hand, there's some fantastic cars here. Walking the strip earlier by Paris, a Huracan, 458, and GT-R looked like they were engaging in shenanigans. The sound was fncking fantastic, I stopped myself to just to look lol.

squared

Speaking of ricers, my 86 in it's current state.. :)

OnJBeFi.jpg

28276945913_19190061aa_o.jpg

28276945693_a2d3e76a1c_o.jpg

g10ufrH.jpg

TRD actually shared one of my photos of the car on their Instagram page, which was a nice surprise.

Futaba

TRD actually shared one of my photos of the car on their Instagram page, which was a nice surprise.
Nice, I was going to go with that spoiler but ended up going with the TRD, only thing letting it down (just imo) is the front bumper, looks overly complex compared to the relatively clean sides and rear.

Also, do you occasionally get a stone hitch-hiking in your trd skirts, rolling back and forth as you accelerate/decelerate? mine do (factory installed) and it bugs me lol

squared

Nice, I was going to go with that spoiler but ended up going with the TRD, only thing letting it down (just imo) is the front bumper, looks overly complex compared to the relatively clean sides and rear.

Also, do you occasionally get a stone hitch-hiking in your trd skirts, rolling back and forth as you accelerate/decelerate? mine do (factory installed) and it bugs me lol

Thanks! Yeah, I know the guy who makes/sells them, so for me the choice was easy :) Besides, even if I didn't I'd buy it, it's my favorite spoiler for the 86 so far!

Haha so far, I haven't had a stone get in there, BUT, speaking of spoilers - when I removed my OEM spoiler to test fit the whaletail, I accidentaly dropped one of the bolts inside the trunk lid.

And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it out, and you can only imagine how annoying it was having that bolt rattle around inside the metal trunk. A friend who works as a mechanic spent an hour trying too, long magnets and everything. Eventually we just sprayed that "noise removing" grease you spray in hard to reach compartments, that dries and forms this sticky, rubbery material, trapping the bolt and at least making it stay put :D

Cool as hell. Great pictures too, Squared.

Thank you very much :)

Evo X

On the other hand, there's some fantastic cars here. Walking the strip earlier by Paris, a Huracan, 458, and GT-R looked like they were engaging in shenanigans. The sound was fncking fantastic, I stopped myself to just to look lol.

I remember my first time in Vegas in 2006. Flight got there super late around 2am. We checked into our hotel, then hit the strip. Not 5 minutes later saw an Enzo rip it down the street and a modified Mustang drift an intersection while coming within inches of the curb. Felt like I had arrived inside of a scene from Project Gotham Racing. lol

Gorgeous!

Looks like my Japanese twin. :D

Gaf, if you could suddenly buy any car sub $1m, what would it be?

McLaren 675LT Spider if my main criteria was driving. Aventador SV if I wanted to show off.

Although if I had a mil to drop on a car, I'd be tempted to keep saving for a 918 Spyder.

Can I instead choose to buy a fleet of shitty old cars from craigslist?

If not, then I dunno, maybe an Aston Martin v12 vantage s, if it has to be a new car. If used is ok then I'd probably buy something like a Lancia Delta S4 street version, or something equally cool.

Futaba

Thanks! Yeah, I know the guy who makes/sells them, so for me the choice was easy :) Besides, even if I didn't I'd buy it, it's my favorite spoiler for the 86 so far!

Haha so far, I haven't had a stone get in there, BUT, speaking of spoilers - when I removed my OEM spoiler to test fit the whaletail, I accidentaly dropped one of the bolts inside the trunk lid.

And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it out, and you can only imagine how annoying it was having that bolt rattle around inside the metal trunk. A friend who works as a mechanic spent an hour trying too, long magnets and everything. Eventually we just sprayed that "noise removing" grease you spray in hard to reach compartments, that dries and forms this sticky, rubbery material, trapping the bolt and at least making it stay put :D

I did the exact same thing while taking off the plate fascia to install a reverse camera, ended up losing my patience and unbolting the boot lid and shaking it around upside down until the bolt was close enough to the holes to grab!

Any idea if your guy ships to japan? wouldn't mind replacing the TRD one!

squared

Wow, those are great photos. That is one sharp GT86! Nicely done.

Thank you!

Gorgeous!

Looks like my Japanese twin. :D

Thanks a lot :)

Dat-Ass.jpg

How far did you drop it?

Not sure, haha, it's on coilovers and lowered it by eye on a lift really.

I did the exact same thing while taking off the plate fascia to install a reverse camera, ended up losing my patience and unbolting the boot lid and shaking it around upside down until the bolt was close enough to the holes to grab!

Any idea if your guy ships to japan? wouldn't mind replacing the TRD one!

I'm sure he does, it's worldwide shipping AFAIK :)

mkenyon

Banned
Subjective? Come on.

The GT86 is subjective. Manuals are not.
Gorgeous! Clean as hell, and not junked up with a "stance". That's a wonderful job right there.
Carrera GT and a plot at the local mortuary
At least the plot would only need to fit an Urn.

Too soon?
Just one?

Manual 911. Maybe 911R cause that's the newest hotness. I think I'd prefer one with hydraulic steering though.

matmanx1

Hmm, I think I would rather have a gaggle of nifty cars that add up to a million rather than 1 but if it had to be one then I would probably pick the 918 Spyder at msrp (yeah that's cheating a little bit but hey, this is fantasy, right?)

Otherwise, give me one of each:
Ferrari 458
Evora 400
Macan GTS
F-Type R convertible
AMG GT-S
Boxster Spyder
Aston Martin Vantage GT
Tesla Model S P90D

I believe all of that should safely fit under the 1m price cap. And I would have one car for every day of the week, plus 1 should I want to loan something out!

Edit - If you had the cars on this list you could probably join one of those high end rental services that rent owners cars out for them for hundreds of dollars a day. If you were busy enough, you might even make a profit on them, which would be sort of hilarious.

rokkerkory

Otherwise, give me one of each:
Ferrari 458
Evora 400
Macan GTS
F-Type R convertible
AMG GT-S
Boxster Spyder
Aston Martin Vantage GT
Tesla Model S P90D

Really nice list, here's mines:
Ferrari 458
Huracan Spyder
Macan GTS
911 GT3 RS
Range Rover Sport Diesel
Mazdaspeed 3 hatch <<< yes, love mines that much for grocery getting

mkenyon

Banned
Really nice list, here's mines:
Ferrari 458
Huracan Spyder
Macan GTS
911 GT3 RS
Range Rover Sport Diesel
Mazdaspeed 3 hatch <<< yes, love mines that much for grocery getting
I like it.

Weekends: Singer 911, 911RS, 650S
Daily: Macan S Diesel, 1M/135i
Winter Beaters: Focus RS, V60 Polestar
Hauling duty: Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie

-------------------------------------------------

On a slightly related note, over the past few weeks I've driven a few things in my budget for our second car. I had my list narrowed down to: G35/37 Coupe, BRZ/FRS, 128i, 135i, RX8, and 328i X Drive (E90). I'm pretty much sold on the 128i. I know what to look for, I know what I'm getting into. The 135i I like more, obviously, but not enough to warrant more expensive fixes and a higher entry price. I think the 128i might be the best kept secret when it comes to affordable fun coupes. Less weight than the 135i, hydraulic steering, great sounding engine, super reliable engine, and a very simple interior that has everything you need in a driver's car.

I know matmanx hasn't had a great experience, but that sort of stuff isn't as big of a deal for me as I'd only be putting 4-6k miles a year on it.

If the manual didn't feel like shit, I would have opted for the G35/37, as I'm familiar with the longevity of that engine from my EX35. The 1 series just felt so damn good. I'd like a slightly tighter shifter, and the suspension tightened up a bit as it'd be a second car.

Also, just passed 6k miles on the 2500 Cummins. Thing just devours miles, moves anyone out of the way, and is so comfy. I did 12 hours of driving in one day, barely any fatigue at all. The road presence is pretty great too.

Top Bottom