• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone here driven a Charger RT Scat Pack? Or even an RT Road & Track? Going through a divorce and looking more at getting a new car now (whatever I get would be replacing my 2014 VW GLI and become my new daily driver). Must have a decent sized trunk, as I travel a lot and have to get a large suitcase or two in the back.

Been researching/reading up on the Charger R/T and the Charger Scat, but also the Mustang GT, Subaru WRX (and STI), and the Golf R. Clearly, what I'm considering is a bit all over the place - but all of the above vehicles have fairly decent amount of room (the exception being the Mustang, but I'm pretty certain it'll fit my suitcase). And insurance wise, the Golf R is actually more expensive than the Chargers. Recent move to PA (just outside Philly) has me considering the AWD options, but I'm also not sure if it's really a requirement.

(Honestly, I wish I could keep the GLI and get a 370 Nismo - but I don't have room or time for two cars and there's no storage space in the 370.)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anyone here driven a Charger RT Scat Pack? Or even an RT Road & Track? Going through a divorce and looking more at getting a new car now (whatever I get would be replacing my 2014 VW GLI and become my new daily driver). Must have a decent sized trunk, as I travel a lot and have to get a large suitcase or two in the back.

Been researching/reading up on the Charger R/T and the Charger Scat, but also the Mustang GT, Subaru WRX (and STI), and the Golf R. Clearly, what I'm considering is a bit all over the place - but all of the above vehicles have fairly decent amount of room (the exception being the Mustang, but I'm pretty certain it'll fit my suitcase). And insurance wise, the Golf R is actually more expensive than the Chargers. Recent move to PA (just outside Philly) has me considering the AWD options, but I'm also not sure if it's really a requirement.

(Honestly, I wish I could keep the GLI and get a 370 Nismo - but I don't have room or time for two cars and there's no storage space in the 370.)

I stored a lot of stuff in my 370Z (even did a fairly hefty move from NYC to FL and was able to fit a suitcase full of clothing, a fatty PS3 + games, iMac, laptops, BluRays, and some other misc stuff). The trunk is surprisingly roomy, due to its hatchback. Check it out, if you want it.

But yes, there is a GAFer here with a Scat Pack. He loves it. It's an awesome muscle car, and I prefer them way over the Mustang and Camaro. They're beautiful and chiseled vehicles. Not super graceful on a track, but great on the streets.

Edit: Thought the quoted post read Challenger. I have no love for Chargers! :p

ruxtpin

Banned
I stored a lot of stuff in my 370Z (even did a fairly hefty move from NYC to FL and was able to fit a suitcase full of clothing, a fatty PS3 + games, iMac, laptops, BluRays, and some other misc stuff). The trunk is surprisingly roomy, due to its hatchback. Check it out, if you want it.

But yes, there is a GAFer here with a Scat Pack. He loves it. It's an awesome muscle car, and I prefer them way over the Mustang and Camaro. They're beautiful and chiseled vehicles. Not super graceful on a track, but great on the streets.

If all I had to take was carry-ons, I could probably get away with the 370. I do the large checked bags, however and the roads up here aren't the greatest. If there's one thing I remember about my 370 w/ sport package, it was the stiff/rough ride (which I accepted, due to it being a sports car - and I had a Corolla as a DD). But the Charger rentals I've had felt pretty cushy and eat up the highway nicely.

matmanx1

Found this video. Turn up your speakers and enjoy 3 minutes of automotive bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3FqFT17DpE

Speaking of sound. I wish to own a naturally aspirated V12 sometime in my life before they go the way of the dinosaur. Not sure what I could afford however.

Pretty amazing stuff but the one that made me giggle was the blue F-Type convertible towards the end of the video. That thing just sounds nasty.

And I agree with all of you about the desire to own a large displacement V8/V10/V12 someday in a sports car. A good one sounds amazing and the way that they deliver power is like nothing else. Torque for days...

matmanx1

If you're really wanting a 370Z... why not a Challenger instead of a Charger?

Plus, you can get a Challenger with a stick lol.

FWIW, I think the Challenger looks better also. There's a guy who works in my building with a white R/T Challenger and it is one sharp car.

ruxtpin

Banned
If you're really wanting a 370Z... why not a Challenger instead of a Charger?

Plus, you can get a Challenger with a stick lol.

From what I remember the trunk space on the Challenger isn't all that great either.

Edit: I'd actually need to take my largest suitcase down to a dealership and see if it would fit.

FWIW, I think the Challenger looks better also. There's a guy who works in my building with a white R/T Challenger and it is one sharp car.

Yup. I personally would take a Challenger since I rarely track or autocross these days. I'm not even a Mopar guy... I just think Challengers are overlooked because it's a Dodge and we all know how reliable they were.

From what I remember the trunk space on the Challenger isn't all that great either.

Edit: I'd actually need to take my largest suitcase down to a dealership and see if it would fit.

Huh, it is kinda small:

trunk.jpg

But it's certainly better than this lol:

Trunk.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Challenger is, IMO, one of the best looking cars ever made. So simple, so elegant, so American.

If you want a looker, plus something that has a ton of space, it makes so much sense. And yea, you can get it with a stick.
Found this video. Turn up your speakers and enjoy 3 minutes of automotive bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3FqFT17DpE

Speaking of sound. I wish to own a naturally aspirated V12 sometime in my life before they go the way of the dinosaur. Not sure what I could afford however.
The current M6 GC is the best looking car in BMWs lineup (excluding i8). It is fire in person.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if Chevy ever fixed the Z06 issues?
Yeah, they made the Grand Sport.

Viperbah

Unrelated, but does anyone know if Chevy ever fixed the Z06 issues?

The 17s are getting a secondary radiator and a new SC lid. Apparently going to offer some type of retrofit program for the 15s & 16s.

It's still going to overheat at the track on hot days

I have had no heat issues with mine, but the only thing track related I have done was run a 1/4 track. I made 5 runs, best ET was 10.8, best mph was 136 (this was with a intake/tune A8 on stock tires). My mph didn't drop much between each run.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If all I had to take was carry-ons, I could probably get away with the 370. I do the large checked bags, however and the roads up here aren't the greatest. If there's one thing I remember about my 370 w/ sport package, it was the stiff/rough ride (which I accepted, due to it being a sports car - and I had a Corolla as a DD). But the Charger rentals I've had felt pretty cushy and eat up the highway nicely.

Funny enough, I totally misread your post and thought you wanted a Challenger. Hahaha.

So I need to correct myself, I don't like Chargers at all. I think they are hideous. Get a Challenger with a stick!!

ruxtpin

Banned
lol - I get them mixed up all the time too, but I like the four doors and the Scat Pack models seem a bit more rare when compared to some of the other stuff I'm considering.

Pulled off and sent my busted AST4100 out to get repaired.

I miss driving my E36 M3. Its sat undriven for way too long.

I really miss mine. It had sit for 2 years until my wife got it fixed for me as a surprise for my birthday. Then like 4 months later, someone pulled out in front of me and insurance totaled it out.

mkenyon

Banned
lol - I get them mixed up all the time too, but I like the four doors and the Scat Pack models seem a bit more rare when compared to some of the other stuff I'm considering.
It's a hog, and it's limited to much narrower rubber than the Challenger. Plus no manual.
NSX interior looks great to me.

I can't stand modern interior designs with a GIANT SCREEN or a million buttons.
+1

That NSX interior is fantastic.

I really miss mine. It had sit for 2 years until my wife got it fixed for me as a surprise for my birthday. Then like 4 months later, someone pulled out in front of me and insurance totaled it out.

Man that sucks. :( Mine has been off the road for awhile but I am looking forward to driving it again and probably supercharging it later next year.

Think I finally found a buyer for the evo.
Hopefully she will be at a new home on Saturday.

ascii42

16.2 cubic feet's pretty solid. That's midsize family sedan territory.

Generally, I prefer having sedans to coupes for multiple reasons. But I would absolutely go Challenger over Charger. If I absolutely needed four doors, I'd get the Chrysler 300 over the Charger, easily. I don't know, there's just something about the 300 I like.

Evo X

Alkright guys, I'm gonna go for it!

Now to get the payment sorted...

Me: Hello Bank, I wanted to purchase another car and just need to retrieve the funds.

Bank: No problem sir, I'd be happy to assist you with that.

Me: Cool, it's a sweet widebody NSX. GAF told me to get it.

Bank: *checks account balance* LMAO. In your dreams brah. I have an idea. Heard the Forza Horizon 3 demo came out today. Why don't you go play that instead?

Me:
0A2.jpg

FStop7

Banned
80s and early 90s cars are starting to get deep nostalgia appeal. I'm seeing more and more pics of big name hip hop artists rolling in cars like an early 90s Mercedes 500SL coupe. The cars they dreamed of when they were kids but couldn't afford, same as the kids who dreamed of muscle cars.

I started working on a list of 90s cars I think will blow up in value. Right now I think my #1 is the Acura Integra Type R. They've already been coveted for a long time and they've suffered horrible attrition due to both being wrecked as well as being enormous targets for thieves. #2 is the MKIV Toyota Supra, for obvious reasons.

I excluded the 993 because let's face it, it's already blown up in value.

American 90s cars I see blowing up: 1993 Mustang Cobra and Cobra R. Corvette ZR-1. Anything done by Lingenfelter before John died.

80s and early 90s cars are starting to get deep nostalgia appeal. I'm seeing more and more pics of big name hip hop artists rolling in cars like an early 90s Mercedes 500SL coupe. The cars they dreamed of when they were kids but couldn't afford, same as the kids who dreamed of muscle cars.

I started working on a list of 90s cars I think will blow up in value. Right now I think my #1 is the Acura Integra Type R. They've already been coveted for a long time and they've suffered horrible attrition due to both being wrecked as well as being enormous targets for thieves. #2 is the MKIV Toyota Supra, for obvious reasons.

American 90s cars I see blowing up: 1993 Mustang Cobra and Cobra R. Corvette ZR-1. Anything done by Lingenfelter before John died.

How about first gen Vipers? Any Trans Ams or Camaros good enough to get the same kind of attention as a Cobra R?

I agree with number 1.

The integra Type R is my favorite car ever!

I regret selling mine...I had the rarer championship white too.....

Haha.

It seems awesome but it looks like dealers are maintaining their 10k markup.

Yep. My MazdaSpeed3 owning brother is really interested in getting one but the price markup, Matt Farah's article on why he sold it, as well as realizing his 300+hp MS3 is too much for daily driving is making him reconsider that idea lol.

I personally want it myself especially since I think I can live with that kind of power but there's a slither of truth in there so when I do get it, I hope I've still got some boy racer left in me to enjoy it haha.

Ettie

Generally, I think well done 3rd gen F-body cars are starting to creep up, they can be made into something with a bit of personality on the cheap. The Viper GTS, 97/98, has to start climbing soon, if the 10-15k hood doesn't depress the price too much. I also think first gen DSM and bubble body eclipses will gain some ground, in unmolested state and top trim.

I miss when two door cars were commonplace. It seems like now, owning a coupe is a privilege outside of the pony cars and the miata/brz.

Yep. My MazdaSpeed3 owning brother is really interested in getting one but the price markup, Matt Farah's article on why he sold it, as well as realizing his 300+hp MS3 is too much for daily driving is making him reconsider that idea lol.

I personally want it myself especially since I think I can live with that kind of power but there's a slither of truth in there so when I do get it, I hope I've still got some boy racer left in me to enjoy it haha.

I saw that Matt Farah got rid of his because his commute was awful.
Any other reason than not wanting to drive stick in LA?

Suck it Evo X!

Sidenote: FH3 IMO, might be the best racing of all time. The cars in the game feel like a 90% FM6 and 10% Horizon and it just feels fncking awesome to play.

I wasn't planning to get the ultimate edition at first but I feel like I have to now... it's ridiculously good!

It just needs Mighty Car Mods and this game will definitely be the GOAT.

I've never been to LA so idk but my bro basically shares the same thoughts as Farah. His MS3 makes somewhere around 300hp with E85 and it's already too much power that he can't really use it even in highway driving(due to traffic). Not to mention that torque steer is more of a pain in the ass when tuned, finally the gas mileage thing(22mpg). He actually wants to drop it down to stock again, he says he'll be able to wring it out more at stock than how it is setup right now.

Driving a stick in traffic is no biggie really.

It's just driving in LA sucks period...auto or stick.

Freaking traffic every day, even weekends..day and night...

the bay area is starting to be the same...

GHG

http://www.evo.co.uk/audi/tt-rs/182...as-quick-as-an-enzo-but-without-the-price-tag

Review of the TTRS. So close to having something special but fell just a bit short. I think we talked about this before but man that front end looks amazing and it's ridiculously fast off the line.

Anyone who buys a new Cayman over this is officially a madman. The performance figures on the new TT RS are staggering.

Love the simplicity of the new interior since the screen is now in the dashboard instrument cluster instead of fucking up the asthetics of the interior. Also, start stop button on the steering wheel in true supercar fashion? Yes please.

I'll take it in green please.

Audi-TT-RS-9.jpg

ameratsu

I don't really like the whole speculative layer to vehicle ownership. I can kind of get that as vehicles rise in value, people take better care of them, and that those of us fortunate enough to have money to drop on a nostalgia trip can end up with a really great example.

At the same time, it's kind of infuriating that great drivers cars are more or less end up locked away and toted out for the occasional car show but never really driven. I guess my only solace is that for every person playing that game successfully, there's plenty more who bought a car under the pretense of appreciation potential but end up barely enjoying it and selling it for a loss.

Suck it Evo X!

Sidenote: FH3 IMO, might be the best racing of all time. The cars in the game feel like a 90% FM6 and 10% Horizon and it just feels fncking awesome to play.

I wasn't planning to get the ultimate edition at first but I feel like I have to now... it's ridiculously good!

It just needs Mighty Car Mods and this game will definitely be the GOAT.

I've never been to LA so idk but my bro basically shares the same thoughts as Farah. His MS3 makes somewhere around 300hp with E85 and it's already too much power that he can't really use it even in highway driving(due to traffic). Not to mention that torque steer is more of a pain in the ass when tuned, finally the gas mileage thing(22mpg). He actually wants to drop it down to stock again, he says he'll be able to wring it out more at stock than how it is setup right now.

I can't believe there isn't a single nod to them at all. I am guessing we will see a Mighty Car Mods DLC pack in the future.

matmanx1

Anyone who buys a new Cayman over this is officially a madman. The performance figures on the new TT RS are staggering.

Love the simplicity of the new interior since the screen is now in the dashboard instrument cluster instead of fucking up the asthetics of the interior. Also, start stop button on the steering wheel in true supercar fashion? Yes please.

I'll take it in green please.

Audi-TT-RS-9.jpg

I don't know about a TT RS over a new Cayman. It depends on why you want it. The Cayman still has the option of a manual gearbox and still has the better chassis in terms of feel and dynamics, especially while cornering. For a weekend toy I would still lean towards the Cayman.

For a really fast daily driver that also happens to look and sound amazing then yeah, the TT RS makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom