• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
I saw something kind of funny on Friday. I was leaving work and saw a white i8 leaving the parking garage. About 45 minutes later as I was walking to the supermarket I saw a blue i8 and a gray i8 pass each other going opposite directions. One of the drivers had the funniest puzzled expression on his face. I've noticed a lot of them around, generally.

I saw something kind of funny on Friday. I was leaving work and saw a white i8 leaving the parking garage. About 45 minutes later as I was walking to the supermarket I saw a blue i8 and a gray i8 pass each other going opposite directions. One of the drivers had the funniest puzzled expression on his face. I've noticed a lot of them around, generally.

oh yeah...I saw 4 of them! beat that!!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see the Ranger back. I'm in favor of more small truck options. Kind of indifferent on the Bronco, but that's still kind of cool I guess.

It's alright, it's still a badge engineered Mazda. I didn't see a good proposition to upgrade when my uncle asked for a 3rd party evaluation. Once the initial wave of novelty buyers wears off, it needs to be priced aggressively. Most US buyers will be tempted to lease the larger F series, which starts around $27,000 or $250/month, instead. Like most trucks "I totally need for work," it's only a truck in name only. The bed is basically unusable for most work due to the fact that most buyers, outside of fleet sales, buy trucks for the perception of "manliness" or whatever, so the bed space ends up being eaten up by the crew cab. It's kinda embarrassing to be in a non-fleet truck at this point.

mkenyon

Banned
It's alright. It's still a badge engineered Mazda. I didn't see a good proposition to upgrade. Once the initial wave of novelty buyers wears off, it needs to be priced aggressively. Most US buyers will be tempted to lease the larger F series, which starts around $27,000 or $250/month, instead. Like most "trucks I totally need for work," it's only a truck in name only. The bed is basically unusable for most work due to the fact that most buyers, outside of fleet sales, buy trucks for the perception of "manliness" or whatever, so the bed space ends up being eaten up by the crew cab. It's kinda embarrassing to be in a non-fleet truck at this point.
I think people in Suburban and Urban areas might feel this way, but in rural and even semi-rural areas, you sure as fuck need a truck to haul X thing. Livestock, tractors, horses, off-road toys, you name it.

I definitely can't haul a gooseneck trailer with a car :p

But because they're horribly expensive things that are also super comfy, my wife and I commute in it. I'd rather rack up 200k+ miles on our diesel truck than anything else, the lifecycle on them is fucking incredible.\

Not sure where the "most buyers" comes from, but that's definitely not the case where I lived (rural Western Washington), nor currently live (Bend, OR).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Innocuous nick or deadly imminent sidewall blowout? Hand belongs to 5'4" lady for scale.

0qalWfe.jpg

I live in Seattle and see about two per day, but the MOST common car I see? And I'm including Accords, Prius etc? Tesla Model S. Definitely some confirmation bias, but by FAR the most common single model on my commute. Also a lot of Asian UW students seem to be getting Maseratis. I have no idea why.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Innocuous nick or deadly imminent sidewall blowout? Hand belongs to 5'4" lady for scale.

0qalWfe.jpg

I live in Seattle and see about two per day, but the MOST common car I see? And I'm including Accords, Prius etc? Tesla Model S. Definitely some confirmation bias, but by FAR the most common single model on my commute. Also a lot of Asian UW students seem to be getting Maseratis. I have no idea why.

Yeah, that's way too deep in the sidewall to keep. New tire time.

And yeah, Teslas are exceedingly common in a lot of areas across the US. Back home in NYC I don't see them as often. But in Central FL? Holy shit. They're everywhere. I'd say that every Tesla Model S I've seen in the past 5 days was the new one with the new 'grille'. And the Model X is becoming just as common. I saw a blue Model X the same week deliveries first took place. When the 3 is released? I can only imagine what's going to happen here.

My friend the detailer (the one who I help out with online content) he has a direct link with the Tesla distributor here and new owners can get their cars protected immediately after purchase if they wish. And a massive amount of them choose to bring the cars buy and get some sort of protection. He is inundated with Teslas. Tons and tons of them left and right. I think people in Florida find it convenient to have a Tesla for a lot of reasons: big garages to store the car + keep it charged; cover lots of distance without having to use fuel; lots of parking lots with chargers, etc. Where as people in NYC don't give a shit because: tiny city; nowhere to park or charge the car even if you own a private house; barely any parking lots with public chargers; public transport is cheaper; roads are horrific to drive a 100K car on; better off with a beater Corolla, etc.

One of my co-workers buys a Kia Optima SXL.

I think he must have been looking for a budget car.

I see the 36k msrp

I faint

In all seriousness he probably got it for way less than that but God damn. I'll never understand that.

Anion

Welp, I guess it was bound to happen. Got rear-ended by a drunk. Surprisingly my car looks perfect aside from a minor bump mark on the lower rear panel. Regardless, at least I got to see the driver get handcuffed and arrested.

I'm just worried the car won't feel the same now. It all is probably in my head cause I'm sure it is completely fine, but it still bothers me ugh

But because they're horribly expensive things that are also super comfy, my wife and I commute in it. I'd rather rack up 200k+ miles on our diesel truck than anything else, the lifecycle on them is fucking incredible.

Where does this come from? I see people say the big trucks are super comfy all the time but I don't know, that's just objectively wrong? No offense but compared to a proper luxury sedan they're absolutely terrible. Now if you're going down roads in very poor conditions maybe you need something with more suspension travel and that's as comfy as you're going to get, but the idea that big trucks are comfortable is the most confusing idea to me.

I see the 36k msrp

I faint

In all seriousness he probably got it for way less than that but God damn. I'll never understand that.

Kia has come a long way, and cars are expensive now anyway. With a lot of options that Kia is pretty nice.

I see the 36k msrp

I faint

Why not? The SXL is top of the line, the equivalent Audi A4 would set you back about 50k.

This isn't the same Kia as in 2006.

I see the 36k msrp

I faint

Kia Optimas are very very nice. Kia as a company has come a long ass way. Have you sat in one lately?

Ovid

And yeah, Teslas are exceedingly common in a lot of areas across the US. Back home in NYC I don't see them as often. But in Central FL? Holy shit. They're everywhere. I'd say that every Tesla Model S I've seen in the past 5 days was the new one with the new 'grille'. And the Model X is becoming just as common. I saw a blue Model X the same week deliveries first took place. When the 3 is released? I can only imagine what's going to happen here.

My friend the detailer (the one who I help out with online content) he has a direct link with the Tesla distributor here and new owners can get their cars protected immediately after purchase if they wish. And a massive amount of them choose to bring the cars buy and get some sort of protection. He is inundated with Teslas. Tons and tons of them left and right. I think people in Florida find it convenient to have a Tesla for a lot of reasons: big garages to store the car + keep it charged; cover lots of distance without having to use fuel; lots of parking lots with chargers, etc. Where as people in NYC don't give a shit because: tiny city; nowhere to park or charge the car even if you own a private house; barely any parking lots with public chargers; public transport is cheaper; roads are horrific to drive a 100K car on; better off with a beater Corolla, etc.
I see Tesla's (usually the Model S) all the time in NY.

I saw my first Model X in BK last week.

matmanx1

Apparently the Bronco and the Ranger are coming back? What do you guys think?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31019/ford-bronco-ranger-confirmed-uaw-trump/

Good. It's about time, especially with the Ranger. Trucks have gotten so huge lately it will be nice to have something smaller. The Bronco has the potential to be a cool lifestyle type vehicle but I would be surprised if it does any kind of real volume.

Where does this come from? I see people say the big trucks are super comfy all the time but I don't know, that's just objectively wrong? No offense but compared to a proper luxury sedan they're absolutely terrible. Now if you're going down roads in very poor conditions maybe you need something with more suspension travel and that's as comfy as you're going to get, but the idea that big trucks are comfortable is the most confusing idea to me.

Kia has come a long way, and cars are expensive now anyway. With a lot of options that Kia is pretty nice.

Eh, they are comfortable in that you have a very roomy cabin that is as nicely appointed as a high end luxury car in terms of materials. The ride tends to be more bouncy but you get used to it and you also have a higher seating position and a better view of the road than in a comparable luxury car.

AlphaSnake

I see Tesla's (usually the Model S) all the time in NY.

I saw my first Model X in BK last week.

I usually see them more out in LI than NYC. But owners in the boroughs seem to be very few. Then again, whenever I visit, I'm usually there no longer than 4-5 days.

AlphaSnake

Okay so now that shit has calmed down...let's play a guessing game.

Yesterday morning was very eventful and surprising. I went to service my XF. First ever service, 5000 miles. The guys told me they have a certain car sitting in the showroom. I found it, though it was parked outside, and I have NO idea how I missed, because I'd have had to drive past it when entering the lot. This, coincidentally, was a pre-production car. The GM came up to me to say hello, and I basically outright said "can we take it for a ride? You can drive me, if you wish". But he let me drive it. I had to sign release forms first that I wouldn't sue anyone in case of death or injury. Which is a first for me. So the first hint:

It has a V12.

Let's start taking guesses.

A few of you have seen the videos of me driving it. So you're excluded.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, for starters, I didn't say it's more comfy than a modern luxury sedan. I just said it's super comfy, which it definitely is. I've done a few 500ish mile trips in it, and I feel like I haven't even been driving once I get out.

They've come a long way recently. I just did an 800 mile trip in my M5, and I can say with certainty that I'd have been more comfortable in my 2500. Thats a 2016 HD truck vs a 2000 though, so probably a bit unfair. I think it's a combination of seating position (very upright, like in an office chair) and space. I'm slightly more comfortable in my old man's 2015 535.

You probably don't feel as comfortable since you're not used to driving something so large? That was really hard for me at first, too. Once you get over that, it becomes super comfy.

Again though, you're missing the point. If you need something to haul, most people can't afford to buy a big truck AND a luxury sedan. In my case, no fuckin way am I going to put commuting miles on my M5 instead of my Diesel truck that's meant to rack up 300k+ miles, especially when it is super comfy. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, big leather seats that I sit upright in, wonderful hydraulic steering that inspires confidence, I love my truck. Shit, it even gets better gas mileage than my M5 :p

Now, if someone said, "I bawt dis hurr Duramax cause it's more comfy than that fancy Beeemur", yeah I totally agree with you.

*edit* Almost forgot. The sound the Cummins makes is god-tier wonderful too. I actually prefer it over my stock M5. Probably not once I delete the mufflers though.
It has a V12.

One of the Aston Martins? DB11? Rapide?

Stinkles

Some lowlife C.H.U.D. stole my goddamned windshield wipers last night. They ONLY fit that car. $60 and a giant detour later...

BUT WHO?

1. A mentally ill person?
2. Drunk fratboys?
3. An Audi owner who is too cheap to buy new ones and has somehow worn his out in less than six months?

Stinkles

Okay so now that shit has calmed down...let's play a guessing game.

Yesterday morning was very eventful and surprising. I went to service my XF. First ever service, 5000 miles. The guys told me they have a certain car sitting in the showroom. I found it, though it was parked outside, and I have NO idea how I missed, because I'd have had to drive past it when entering the lot. This, coincidentally, was a pre-production car. The GM came up to me to say hello, and I basically outright said "can we take it for a ride? You can drive me, if you wish". But he let me drive it. I had to sign release forms first that I wouldn't sue anyone in case of death or injury. Which is a first for me. So the first hint:

It has a V12.

An Evo X?

mkenyon

Banned
Some lowlife C.H.U.D. stole my goddamned windshield wipers last night. They ONLY fit that car. $60 and a giant detour later...

BUT WHO?

2. Drunk fratboys?
3. An Audi owner who is too cheap to buy new ones and has somehow worn his out in less than six months?
Wow. The Eastside is goin' downhill quick! No wonder we're having trouble scheduling out in Redmond and Issaquah :p

So I looked at that Z3 last night.

I'm really good condition but had two small problems.

Seemed to be leaking from the ac line that goes to the compressor. (easy fix probably just bad o-rings)

Needs the cooling system redone. Its got 65k miles on it and has never been touched.

Zyzyxxz

Out here in Los Angeles its already a common car. Model X are still uncommon but in the right neighborhoods you will see a few a day.

AlphaSnake

Ding! A pre-production DB11.

I think it goes on sale this December in Europe. And March in the US. This was a US-spec model. The headliner was a quilted blue leather. Sounds crazy at first, but absolutely wonderful when you're inside.

The key is no longer a piece of jewelry, it's still pretty, but you keep it in your pocket. The drive selector buttons are still present, and the transmission is the everyday ZF8 speed. The thing with this DB11 is that it was deceptively fast. It feels like you're not accelerating that quick, but you look down and you're exceeding triple digits. My brother's Hurracan has this violent lash when it accelerates. It just snaps your neck back. And even my XKR does the same. The surge of speeds in both cars feels brutal.

But because this is a V12 with a pair of turbos, it's so refined that the speed increases effortlessly. Mind you, I was pushing the car in S+ (there's GT, S, S+, all accessed through the steering wheel's "S" button). S+ opens up the exhaust valves, really sharpens the steering, and does all of the other wizardry we've come to expect from these dynamic adjusting buttons. In the wrong and unobserving hands, the DB11 is the ultimate way to get pulled over and wonder why. You don't think you're doing 110 on a local road, but you are.

I have to mention, something I found unnerving actually was the brake pedal. It genuinely made me nervous, because it lacked travel. If anyone's ever driven a car with regenerative braking (ex: Infiniti Q50 Hybrid), you'll know that these cars have extremely firm brakes. Where as in normal cars brakes are progressive and the more you push, the more it slows. The DB11 has an extremely firm brake with very little travel. Engage the brakes incorrectly, and the car anchors to a stop immediately. Luckily, I noticed this simply crawling out of the parking lot to the street. But I wonder if this is a pre-production quirk or something AM intends to leave. It's perfectly drivable as is...it just takes time getting used to.

Also, the noise. Despite shrinking to a 5.2L V12 (down from 5.9) and adding a pair of snail shells, the car still sounds great. Not quite Jaguar F-Type R, but you'll still make plenty of noise. I also think this car may have the first automated sliding cupholder door up front? The GM called it "James Bond-ish". It's pretty nifty. But I wouldn't be surprised if an S-Class or Maybach Benz has done it before. :p

Oh, and the weight bias. This thing dry will weigh about 3900lbs (4200 with fluids). But, the transmission is rear mounted, and you can actually feel that the car has a pretty solid plant to it. It's also got a ton of curves, waves, and functional downforce scoops that really keep the car on its feet. So even though the aesthetic may be a bit polarizing (it looks much better in person), everything about the design is pretty functional. Ultimately, this is a GT car, and lap times are not a concern. But I was still pretty impressed about how it carried itself when I flung it a bit. But don't get me wrong...it'll still step out on you without issue.

Starting price on these will be $216K. Can be optioned to $300K.

Plug and shout out to: Aston Martin/Jaguar of Orlando

Interior video + Some exhaust: https://youtu.be/WVF_gpiLFDk

I'll probably have to share the driving videos privately. Since I'm going a bit...fast on a 'slower' road. And you can clearly see my stupid mug. LOL. But the exhaust noises are better, since I drive through an underpass.

Smokey

BUT WHO?

2. Drunk fratboys?

No garage?

I think it goes on sale this December in Europe. And March in the US. This was a US-spec model. The headliner was a quilted blue leather. Sounds crazy at first, but absolutely wonderful when you're inside.

The key is no longer a piece of jewelry, it's still pretty, but you keep it in your pocket. The drive selector buttons are still present, and the transmission is the everyday ZF8 speed. The thing with this DB11 is that it was deceptively fast. It feels like you're not accelerating that quick, but you look down and you're exceeding triple digits. My brother's Hurracan has this violent lash when it accelerates. It just snaps your neck back. And even my XKR does the same. The surge of speeds in both cars feels brutal.

But because this is a V12 with a pair of turbos, it's so refined that the speed increases effortlessly. Mind you, I was pushing the car in S+ (there's GT, S, S+, all accessed through the steering wheel's "S" button). S+ opens up the exhaust valves, really sharpens the steering, and does all of the other wizardry we've come to expect from these dynamic adjusting buttons. In the wrong and unobserving hands, the DB11 is the ultimate way to get pulled over and wonder why. You don't think you're doing 110 on a local road, but you are.

I have to mention, something I found unnerving actually was the brake pedal. It genuinely made me nervous, because it lacked travel. If anyone's ever driven a car with regenerative braking (ex: Infiniti Q50 Hybrid), you'll know that these cars have extremely firm brakes. Where as in normal cars brakes are progressive and the more you push, the more it slows. The DB11 has an extremely firm brake with very little travel. Engage the brakes incorrectly, and the car anchors to a stop immediately. Luckily, I noticed this simply crawling out of the parking lot to the street. But I wonder if this is a pre-production quirk or something AM intends to leave. It's perfectly drivable as is...it just takes time getting used to.

Also, the noise. Despite shrinking to a 5.2L V12 (down from 5.9) and adding a pair of snail shells, the car still sounds great. Not quite Jaguar F-Type R, but you'll still make plenty of noise. I also think this car may have the first automated sliding cupholder door up front? The GM called it "James Bond-ish". It's pretty nifty. But I wouldn't be surprised if an S-Class or Maybach Benz has done it before. :p

Oh, and the weight bias. This thing dry will weigh about 3900lbs (4200 with fluids). But, the transmission is rear mounted, and you can actually feel that the car has a pretty solid plant to it. It's also got a ton of curves, waves, and functional downforce scoops that really keep the car on its feet. So even though the aesthetic may be a bit polarizing (it looks much better in person), everything about the design is pretty functional. Ultimately, this is a GT car, and lap times are not a concern. But I was still pretty impressed about how it carried itself when I flung it a bit. But don't get me wrong...it'll still step out on you without issue.

Nice write up!

Let's see if Evo X will try to out do you by writing up an impression of a DB10...

Again though, you're missing the point. If you need something to haul, most people can't afford to buy a big truck AND a luxury sedan. In my case, no fuckin way am I going to put commuting miles on my M5 instead of my Diesel truck that's meant to rack up 300k+ miles, especially when it is super comfy. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, big leather seats that I sit upright in, wonderful hydraulic steering that inspires confidence, I love my truck. Shit, it even gets better gas mileage than my M5 :p

This is fair enough, but I've encountered a fair number of people who buy these trucks because they're "so comfortable!" when they have zero reason for having a truck. No towing, no hauling, just driving to and from work. That's what I just don't get.

Someone actually needs a truck, though? May as well be nice.

No Love

Banned

I just drove a pre-pre-production DB12. It had a quilted orange leather roof. It also had S++ instead of S+. Where is your god now?

No Love

Banned
Well, for starters, I didn't say it's more comfy than a modern luxury sedan. I just said it's super comfy, which it definitely is. I've done a few 500ish mile trips in it, and I feel like I haven't even been driving once I get out.

They've come a long way recently. I just did an 800 mile trip in my M5, and I can say with certainty that I'd have been more comfortable in my 2500. Thats a 2016 HD truck vs a 2000 though, so probably a bit unfair. I think it's a combination of seating position (very upright, like in an office chair) and space. I'm slightly more comfortable in my old man's 2015 535.

You probably don't feel as comfortable since you're not used to driving something so large? That was really hard for me at first, too. Once you get over that, it becomes super comfy.

Now, if someone said, "I bawt dis hurr Duramax cause it's more comfy than that fancy Beeemur", yeah I totally agree with you.

*edit* Almost forgot. The sound the Cummins makes is god-tier wonderful too. I actually prefer it over my stock M5. Probably not once I delete the mufflers though.

The S62 is one of the greatest sounding motors ever. Delete those 60+ lb mufflers...

AlphaSnake

DB11 exhaust rev video + interior on my old ass burner YT account.

https://youtu.be/WVF_gpiLFDk

Yes, it's not in landscape. Video was meant more for sound than anything else.

I've sent the driving video out to some, just not sure if I should post it publicly.

I just drove a pre-pre-production DB12. It had a quilted orange leather roof. It also had S++ instead of S+. Where is your god now?

:bow:

Kia Optimas are very very nice. Kia as a company has come a long ass way. Have you sat in one lately?

Why not? The SXL is top of the line, the equivalent Audi A4 would set you back about 50k.

This isn't the same Kia as in 2006.

To be fair it's a bit of my own bias and lack of familiarity with modern Kia. I'd be interested to see how they might compare to similarly specced Hondas.

http://nytimes.com/2016/04/13/world/americas/canada-vancouver-chinese-immigrant-wealth.html

I also see a ton of Model S around here, but then again it's a SF bay area tech thing and I live two towns north of Tesla's factory.

Been seeing some more i8s lately (keeping in mind I live in one of the less chic parts of the bay area, at that). Nice to see them in some other colors.

rokkerkory

0qalWfe.jpg

You have large hands, largest ever. Best hands! :p

The Asian students likely have wealthy ass parents!

No Love

Banned
Got another kill last night. E60 535i Juicebox'd. Kept up with me til I got to 120-140 range where you see my top end overcome his massive low end and midrange advantage. And in the corners... Made him look silly. We both gave thumbs up though.

San Diego has some amazing curvy roads for hooning.

Ovid

http://nytimes.com/2016/04/13/world/americas/canada-vancouver-chinese-immigrant-wealth.html

I also see a ton of Model S around here, but then again it's a SF bay area tech thing and I live two towns north of Tesla's factory.

Been seeing some more i8s lately (keeping in mind I live in one of the less chic parts of the bay area, at that). Nice to see them in some other colors.
As expensive as that car is I wasn't expecting to see it as often as I have.

Someone in my garage has one. I have yet to see it move. It's been there for about two months lol.

I'm bettering the i8's popularity has to do with aggressive lease offers.

That's the thing, though, is the supply suddenly such to facilitate aggressive offers? Not that I'd necessarily be surprised since they're producing them in other colors now while I had previously only seen them in the one. At least when I was shopping for my 335 back in Spring 2015, they seemed to be in really short supply - being marked up over sticker and one of the bay area dealers here had said they had someone come up from Los Angeles to buy the one they had just gotten in. Granted I guess the year and a half is also a relatively high amount of time on that end.

AlphaSnake

That's the thing, though, is the supply suddenly such to facilitate aggressive offers? Not that I'd necessarily be surprised since they're producing them in other colors now while I had previously only seen them in the one. At least when I was shopping for my 335 back in Spring 2015, they seemed to be in really short supply - being marked up over sticker and one of the bay area dealers here had said they had someone come up from Los Angeles to buy the one they had just gotten in. Granted I guess the year and a half is also a relatively high amount of time on that end.

The i8 basically had a quick surge and then fell way down. That surge was pre-order delivery, and really few others were interested in the car thereafter. Now they've slowed production quite a bit, in order to keep residuals high.

But the 17s are in now, and there are no programs on them and no incentives. So the residuals suck again and the leases are high. BMW wants to make sure every 16 is off the lot before 17s are incentivized.

Futaba

So ranty time again.
Pulled up to a red on a heavy traffic crossroad behind a guy in a merc slk, around 25 seconds before the lights turn green he puts on his hazards and pulls forward about 4ft, thus blocking the crosswalk, when the light changed he just stays sat there with his hazards on, so I wait for turn right traffic to pass and pull around the side, what's this supper emergency that demands he stop and block both the crossing and main lane.
Apparently, playing puzzle dragons on his phone.

I was pissed.

Then 20 minutes later, on the tomei expressway just passing an on ramp in the outside lane to give plenty of space for cars merging from the on ramp, when suddenly a Nissan Micra merges and sweeps right across in to my lane, just a few meters in front of me without any indicating, then freaking brake checks me to a point where I had to slam on so hard ABS kicked in.
I'm pretty sure if I had the OEM calipers still and not the bbk I installed recently, I'd have ended up on the back seat of the Micra.

Goddamn I hate bad drivers.

Top Bottom