• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Awesome! Thanks for the short video and write-up. That thing sounds fantastic and is a very beautiful car.

No problem. I can send you me actually driving it via PM, if you'd like. But it has to stay private because it shows my stupid face and me driving just a tad over the speed limit.

I'm also pretty sure sharing PMs is a perma ban anyway. LOL.

We just got an E90 328i here at work and poor thing... it's overheating like a bitch, leaks oil almost everywhere, has a loud ass ticking noise, and there's a bent strut so they're thinking of just junking the POS.

Last I heard it'd cost more than half of it's current value to fix every issue it has and obviously there's not gonna be any profit if they do that so idk lol.

It's a shame, but on the other hand if it's that gonna be expensive to fix an E90, yikes... if a business doesn't think it's worth it to fix it, I can't even imagine being the owner of the car.

Got another kill last night. E60 535i Juicebox'd. Kept up with me til I got to 120-140 range where you see my top end overcome his massive low end and midrange advantage. And in the corners... Made him look silly. We both gave thumbs up though.

San Diego has some amazing curvy roads for hooning.

Yes the roads are amazing! I hate to be that guy, but keep that stuff on the track. Going 140 on public roads is just asking for tragedy.

finalflame

Yes the roads are amazing! I hate to be that guy, but keep that stuff on the track. Going 140 on public roads is just asking for tragedy.

I wanted to say this but didn't want to be the killjoy. I agree. Speeds that high need to be kept to a track or you're not just endangering your own life, but the life of others. Same goes for any kind of street racing, really. Organized circuit/auto-X events are a lot more fun anyways.

mkenyon

Banned
I wanted to say this but didn't want to be the killjoy. I agree. Speeds that high need to be kept to a track or you're not just endangering your own life, but the life of others. Same goes for any kind of street racing, really. Organized circuit/auto-X events are a lot more fun anyways.
I went 165 in Idaho. I hadn't seen a car for 5 minutes. I didn't see another car for 10-15 minutes.

:p

We just got an E90 328i here at work and poor thing... it's overheating like a bitch, leaks oil almost everywhere, has a loud ass ticking noise, and there's a bent strut so they're thinking of just junking the POS.

Last I heard it'd cost more than half of it's current value to fix every issue it has and obviously there's not gonna be any profit if they do that so idk lol.

It's a shame, but on the other hand if it's that gonna be expensive to fix an E90, yikes... if a business doesn't think it's worth it to fix it, I can't even imagine being the owner of the car.

1300 for Parts and Labor for waterpump,thermostat. Probably another 500-700 for all the gaskets, and probably another 300 for the strut.

No Love

Banned

This was at 1AM on an empty 6 lane freeway that turned off onto curvy offramps... I also have insanely sticky tires so even at 140 I'm planted. I also used to track my Evo and hit around 140-160 on the straights at Buttonwillow. But thanks. :p

mkenyon

Banned
This was at 1AM on an empty 6 lane freeway that turned off onto curvy offramps... I also have insanely sticky tires so even at 140 I'm planted. I also used to track my Evo and hit around 140-160 on the straights at Buttonwillow. But thanks. :p
It's amazing how stable it is at that speed. It feels safe, which is so strange.

No Love

Banned
It's amazing how stable it is at that speed. It feels safe, which is so strange.

Yeah, you should feel it with 285mm Potenza RE71r's on all four corners. They are wonderful tires, highly recommend them even at $1000+/set.

Hey btw I'm gonna buy four more rear OEM M5 wheels, if you want two rears so you can run nonstagger I'll ship em to you.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, you should feel it with 285mm Potenza RE71r's on all four corners. They are wonderful tires, highly recommend them even at $1000+/set.

Hey btw I'm gonna buy four more rear OEM M5 wheels, if you want two rears so you can run nonstagger I'll ship em to you.
Count me in for sure.

14054171_10206463706740371_4995129689664163980_n.jpg

1300 for Parts and Labor for waterpump,thermostat. Probably another 500-700 for all the gaskets, and probably another 300 for the strut.

They were talking around $3K earlier plus whatever it's gonna cost to fix that ticking. Don't really know the specifics tbh, I'm still forced to sit in meetings even though I'm just the photog lol. I literally tune out the last 45 minutes since it's kinda irrelevant to me.

Lmao.

I had to pump some gas in an S-class today and a Mustang was leaving the same gas station I was at, only at an earlier exit... I almost had the urge to push that gear lever to R coz I wasn't about to get wrecked in a car that probably costs more than my house haha.

burgerdog

Wtf, so I opened my passenger door just now and the window rolled half way down on its own. I rolled it back up, closed the door and opened it again, this time it rolled a fourth of the way down. I would keep trying but there's a shit ton of bugs out right now. Any idea what it could be?

AlphaSnake

Wtf, so I opened my passenger door just now and the window rolled half way down on its own. I rolled it back up, closed the door and opened it again, this time it rolled a fourth of the way down. I would keep trying but there's a shit ton of bugs out right now. Any idea what it could be?

What car is it?

It sounds like a bad window motor or a pinch sensor that thinks the window is pinching something.

Many cars (especially Nissans and Infinitis) have windows that can be reset by rolling the window all the way up, holding the button up 5 seconds (don't let go of the button while doing this). Then rolling the window down and holding the button down 5 seconds while never letting go of the button again. And again roll the window back up and hold it up for 3 seconds.

burgerdog

What car is it?

It sounds like a bad window motor or a pinch sensor that thinks the window is pinching something.

Many cars (especially Nissans and Infinitis) have windows that can be reset by rolling the window all the way up, holding the button up 5 seconds (don't let go of the button while doing this). Then rolling the window down and holding the button down 5 seconds while never letting go of the button again. And again roll the window back up and hold it up for 3 seconds.

13 Audi S5. It's a frameless window(i think that's what you call it) and instead of just going down a little when the door was opened it went half way down haha. I'm going to try it again in a little while and see if it keeps doing it.

AlphaSnake

13 Audi S5. It's a frameless window(i think that's what you call it) and instead of just going down a little when the door was opened it went half way down haha. I'm going to try it again in a little while and see if it keeps doing it.

Yeah, I figured it'd have been a coupe. It's most likely the pinch sensor thinking something's there. Common on some coupes. I had it on my 370Z once even. Friend's S5 4.2 did it, as well. The reset procedure worked for him.

Try resetting the windows with the method mentioned. Holding for 5-7 seconds for each direction (up and down) should do the trick.

burgerdog

Yeah, I figured it'd have been a coupe. It's most likely the pinch sensor thinking something's there. Common on some coupes. I had it on my 370Z once even. Friend's S5 4.2 did it, as well. The reset procedure worked for him.

Try resetting the windows with the method mentioned. Holding for 5-7 seconds for each direction (up and down) should do the trick.

Well damn, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch, I was pretty worried there for a while and you saved me a trip to the dealer.

AlphaSnake

Well damn, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch, I was pretty worried there for a while and you saved me a trip to the dealer.

You're welcome.

I've owned many Audis in the past. I know what makes them tick, and at one point I wanted to compliment my A6 4.2 (and later Supercharged 3.0T) with an S5 4.2. So I'm pretty versed with these cars as I did a lot of test driving and researching.

If the issue persists repeatedly (say more than 3 times), you likely have a lot of dirt embedded in the window track somewhere (do you frequently park under trees? If so, quit it) or the sensor has gone bad. I'm hoping you're still under the 4 year warranty.

Futaba

Car barely runs now :D stalled out multiple times, throwing CEL straight away, got it home in limp mode, now just gotta wait for it to get a new tune config (or do it myself) to set it up, then drive like a grandfather for the next 1k miles to break'er in.

before CEL kicked in and forced limp mode, i couldn't resist the temptation to put my foot down a little bit, the sound of the supercharger whine acting like a drumroll to the turbo spooling up is glorious.. can't wait to get the tune flashed and broken in!

I just saw a car in Manhattan Beach and I have no idea what it was. It looked like will.i.am tried to turn a convertible Corvette into a McLaren or an R8 or something. Weird.

AlphaSnake

I just saw a car in Manhattan Beach and I have no idea what it was. It looked like will.i.am tried to turn a convertible Corvette into a McLaren or an R8 or something. Weird.

Ah crap. Would've loved to see some pics. Curious now.

I hate when my friends call me and tell me "dude, I just saw this thing! It looked like XYZ and ABC. Do you know what it is!?" And I have to explain to them their description sucks, catch up to it, and take a pic. Hahaha

Yeah catching up wasn't really possible, and I assumed it was some kind of kit car. It had a wide curved rear wing that attached on the sides and at one point in the middle.

This entire week is giving me second thoughts about the 2nd car FWD option that I have. I just don't think I'll be able to have fun in one unless it's a hot hatch like a GTI, Fo/FiST and Mazdaspeed3. Like I'd rather have a fun-handling(note that I said fun not perfect) car to get the inanity out of my way commute.

There's a really nice underpass that I go through that I have to take a hard left everytime and all the lights are amazingly green everytime I've been passing by so day by day I've been pushing the limit of what I can do with my Miata in that corner lol. Today, just 10 minutes ago actually, I hit the limit... and it was a fucking blast!

So now I feel like I have to re-strategize what I'm going to do lol.

Ugh... why can't we just have a reliable 4-door RWD car with a stick that handles like a Miata? I'd take an RX-8 tbh but a majority of the examples I've found are just beat up or went through an engine rebuild at least once... idk if it's worth it.

ascii42

This entire week is giving me second thoughts about the 2nd car FWD option that I have. I just don't think I'll be able to have fun in one unless it's a hot hatch like a GTI, Fo/FiST and Mazdaspeed3. Like I'd rather have a fun-handling(note that I said fun not perfect) car to get the inanity out of my way commute.

There's a really nice underpass that I go through that I have to take a hard left everytime and all the lights are amazingly green everytime I've been passing by so day by day I've been pushing the limit of what I can do with my Miata in that corner lol. Today, just 10 minutes ago actually, I hit the limit... and it was a fucking blast!

Ugh... why can't we just have a reliable 4-door RWD car with a stick that handles like a Miata? I'd take an RX-8 tbh but a majority of the examples I've found are just beat up or went through an engine rebuild at least once... idk if it's worth it.
Two extra doors and a back seat don't come for free. The lightest 4-door RWD car made today is what, the ATS? Or maybe the 3-series depending on equipment? Those have 1000 lbs on the Miata. You'd probably have to go back to the E30 3-series to get something that small and light.

Well, in some countries there's this thing and its platform mate, the Renault Twingo...
Bonus: it's rear-engined, too!

finalflame

fYASGzB.jpg

Got my black kidney grills :) Now to debadge and black out the chrome window trim this weekend. After that, M Performance suspension and I'll call it a day until I get an M2 in a couple of years.

Evo X

New trailer for The Grand Tour. We're almost there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLtpcxtk4HI

On the related note of Top Gear, here's their Performance Car of the Year. Surprise. It's a Porsche.

asfWQKh.jpg

dOQBZvU.jpg

fYASGzB.jpg

Got my black kidney grills :) Now to debadge and black out the chrome window trim this weekend. After that, M Performance suspension and I'll call it a day until I get an M2 in a couple of years.

Looks awesome man! Always prefer black to chrome.

Futaba

You know, personal opinion and all, and maybe it's just me but the only two Porsche vehicles i have ever liked was the '86 RUF Porsche 911 Turbo and the '74 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR, the rest don't appeal to me at all.

mkenyon

Banned

E36 M3.

Do you need four doors tho? What about a coupe?

AlphaSnake

You know, personal opinion and all, and maybe it's just me but the only two Porsche vehicles i have ever liked was the '86 RUF Porsche 911 Turbo and the '74 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR, the rest don't appeal to me at all.

I'd say I'm with you to some extent. But also throw in the Porsche CGT and the current gen GT3RS.

My beef with 911R is that it's produced in far too small of a quantity to be a COTY. But at the same time, it should encourage others to follow suit and keep making cars with MTs.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd say I'm with you to some extent. But also throw in the Porsche CGT and the current gen GT3RS.

My beef with 911R is that it's produced in far too small of a quantity to be a COTY. But at the same time, it should encourage others to follow suit and keep making cars with MTs.
100% agreed. I think that's pretty bogus.

I feel the same way, there were many time that I was highly interested but could never bite the bullet to get one. Maybe if I go to the track multiple times a year then maybe.
Also I drive like a pantsy anyways...lol

Didn't you have to buy a 918 to get one? that is even more rediculous ...

Futaba

Yep, 991 worldwide.. or to put it another way, one car for every 75 million people on earth.

matmanx1

Keep the Miata. Trust me. If you get rid of it you will miss the heck out of it within 6 months and you will be less and less satisfied with most everything else in your price bracket.

Take $10k or whatever you can afford and buy something comfortable, roomy and reliable to go along with your MX-5. Best of both worlds. I recommend and old, well cared for Lexus like an ES or LS series but there's plenty of good stuff out there that would work for your purposes.

I can tell you really love your sports car and any other car that you got that was less capable than the Miata is right now would just leave you dissatisfied in fairly short order. Trust me, I have been there several times.

AlphaSnake

Didn't you have to buy a 918 to get one? that is even more rediculous ...

Yes. So it looks like we have some consensus here.

The 991R should be eliminated from COTYs.

So Auto-GAF let's pick our own COTY? Any nominees? I'll toss in a few:

2016 Corvette Gran Sport
2016 Jaguar F-Pace
2016 Ford GT350

burgerdog

Yes. So it looks like we have some consensus here.

The 991R should be eliminated from COTYs.

So Auto-GAF let's pick our own COTY? Any nominees? I'll toss in a few:

2016 Corvette Gran Sport
2016 Jaguar F-Pace
2016 Ford GT350

The SUV? I love the way that thing looks but I would have to go with the C7 GS. Those things are going to be a steal in a few years.

fake edit.
What the fuuuck, used C7 Z06s are this cheap?
https://www.carmax.com/cars/Chevrolet/Corvette/2016/13763659

AlphaSnake

The SUV? I love the way that thing looks but I would have to go with the C7 GS. Those things are going to be a steal in a few years.

fake edit.
What the fuuuck, used C7 Z06s are this cheap?
https://www.carmax.com/cars/Chevrolet/Corvette/2016/13763659

Yeah, the SUV. The F-Pace is an all new entry for a luxury maker who's completely new to this kind of car. Yet, they nailed it square on the head in every way. It handles supremely, it sounds great, it goes well, looks beautiful, and it's very practical. It's the overall package from a first attempt, with virtually no compromise, which is a massive rarity these days and a triumph, really.

If we go back in time and look at the first SUV of a luxury brand we realize this: the best selling SUV is easily the most compromised. Slow, mushy, unattractive, and dull. The first Lexus RX was compromised. As was the first Cayenne, Q7, ML, MDX, SRX, etc. We'd arguably have to go back to the BMW X5, which 20 years ago was the first true sporty crossover with minimal compromises. And 20 years later, Jaguar is perhaps the second company to bring in an all new product into a line-up that every other luxury brand has been in on but managed to make it the overall package.

I notably left the Infiniti FX out, a car I put tons of miles on in my youth. It was arguably the second coming of the BMW X5, with one drawback, lousy ride quality over choppy streets. This is where the F-Pace excels and knocks the FX down, making it the third coming? Something like that. But for its time, the FX was a terrific car that made the industry realize Infiniti's got something to work with. It's just an utter shame that after the 1st gen car it's gotten worse. It's also crazy that the 2nd gen car is still around and we're only now getting a new model next Summer.

But anyway, yeah, that's my reasoning for the F-Pace. I look at it from all angles and perspective.

burgerdog

Helluva argument, I'm sold.

Plus the grey leather with green stitching is so beautiful, I almost bought one. :p

And there's an SVR F-Pace on its way. I remember messing around with the configurator a few months ago and you're able to build a hell of an SUV for 48-55k depending on how crazy you go with options.

I did this one in two minutes and I don't know much about Jags so I may be missing critical options.
http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/...5r_d53f_d96a_h01ejet_j13a_pec_z60q/jaguar.pdf

matmanx1

I think I would have to vote for the Mustang GT350R. That's a 2016 MY car isn't it? Other than that one, the others we've mentioned so far are all seriously impressive in their own way.

burgerdog

I think I would have to vote for the Mustang GT350R. That's a 2016 MY car isn't it? Other than that one, the others we've mentioned so far are all seriously impressive in their own way.

Isn't the 350R somewhat unattainable since you have to pay 25k over sticker? I would love the car for 50k but for 75K I dont know, that's C7 GS money.

Evo X

I feel like it's bullshit to vote for a car you haven't driven, so until I can take a GT350R for a spin, I'm gonna say 570S or GT4.

Top Bottom