• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Nothing stealth about it. How you gonna talk shit about one thing or praise another without experiencing it yourself?

Those are simply the two best 2016 cars I've driven. AMG GTS is up there too. No need to take that statement for more than face value.

ascii42

Hmm, if I can only vote for cars I've driven, I'd obviously lean toward the car I actually bought. I think the only new for 2016 car I've driven is the Camaro, which I did like a lot.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I think I would have to vote for the Mustang GT350R. That's a 2016 MY car isn't it? Other than that one, the others we've mentioned so far are all seriously impressive in their own way.

Yes, it's a 2016. A few pages back, I mentioned a friend of mine cross shopping a Tundra and an F150 and that while at Ford we test drove a GT 6MT. It was definitely a nice car. A 7, if you will. But man, the owner of the dealership is someone who smokes in my cigar group. He bought a GT350, naturally. To answer someone else's question, not all dealers are doing the mark-up nonsense. He's one of the dealers who isn't.

In any case, 90% of the time he comes to the lounge in his F-250. This time, it was his GT350, which was the first time I've actually seen one in person. So this was Sunday. I go to take a look at it. Man, the body work really completes the car. The GT already looks pretty good with some of the extra tidbits. But the 350 adds to that. Anyway, he came with his 18 year old who was going to drive the car home (yeah, I know. I was thinking the same). Before his son left, he took me for a quick ride outside of the parking area and back in.

Let me tell you, it is a glorious sounding motor and surprisingly the kid was a good driver, didn't hoon or show off. But that motor...it really feels unique. It reminded me of the first time my brother drove me around in his M6 10 years ago. Or the first time I was in an E92 M3. While, I didn't drive the car, I could immediately tell that the 7-ish Mustang GT is an absolute 9 as a GT350. The interior is still what it is...better, but not beautiful. But the rest of it is pretty sensational.

So I knew I had to throw it on my list.

The Gran Sport, simply knowing that it's a super spec'd Stingray says a lot. I've driven one years back and the only problem I really had with it was: gearing and plain looks. This fixes both and then some.

Anyway, feel free to add any car you guys wish, even if you haven't driven it. There's so much data out there that we know what cars tick what personal box or preference. We aren't held to any kind of professional standard, anyway. We're on a forum just talking, same as any group of people in person would chat about.

No Love

Banned
Yes, it's a 2016. A few pages back, I mentioned a friend of mine cross shopping a Tundra and an F150 and that while at Ford we test drove a GT 6MT. It was definitely a nice car. A 7, if you will. But man, the owner of the dealership is someone who smokes in my cigar group. He bought a GT350, naturally. To answer someone else's question, not all dealers are doing the mark-up nonsense. He's one of the dealers who isn't.

In any case, 90% of the time he comes to the lounge in his F-250. This time, it was his GT350, which was the first time I've actually seen one in person. So this was Sunday. I go to take a look at it. Man, the body work really completes the car. The GT already looks pretty good with some of the extra tidbits. But the 350 adds to that. Anyway, he came with his 18 year old who was going to drive the car home (yeah, I know. I was thinking the same). Before his son left, he took me for a quick ride outside of the parking area and back in.

Let me tell you, it is a glorious sounding motor and surprisingly the kid was a good driver, didn't hoon or show off. But that motor...it really feels unique. It reminded me of the first time my brother drove me around in his M6 10 years ago. Or the first time I was in an E92 M3. While, I didn't drive the car, I could immediately tell that the 7-ish Mustang GT is an absolute 9 as a GT350. The interior is still what it is...better, but not beautiful. But the rest of it is pretty sensational.

So I knew I had to throw it on my list.

The Gran Sport, simply knowing that it's a super spec'd Stingray says a lot. I've driven one years back and the only problem I really had with it was: gearing and plain looks. This fixes both and then some.

Anyway, feel free to add any car you guys wish, even if you haven't driven it. There's so much data out there that we know what cars tick what personal box or preference. We aren't held to any kind of professional standard, anyway. We're on a forum just talking, same as any group of people in person would chat about.

Yeah but it's not a Porsche so who cares

FStop7

Banned
I love Porsches. I love the 911R. But the fact the 911R was sold out via private invitations before it was even officially announced makes it a non-starter to me when it comes to these sorts of group tests.

Evo X

Yeah but it's not a Porsche so who cares

No need to be a dick. Both the GT350 and Corvette are universally regarded as fantastic sports cars. I was even super close to buying a 3LT Stingray last year.

You seem to talk shit just to make controversy.

Do I need to bring up your "PORSCHE IS GOD!" post after I gave you a ride in my GTS? You were practically having an orgasm just listening to the exhaust.

No Love

Banned
No need to be a dick. Both the GT350 and Corvette are universally regarded as fantastic sports cars. I was even super close to buying a 3LT Stingray last year.

Do I need to bring up your "PORSCHE IS GOD!" post after I gave you a ride in my GTS? You were practically having an orgasm just listening to the exhaust.

You really want me to fire back? You sure about that?

mkenyon

Banned
Nothing stealth about it. How you gonna talk shit about one thing or praise another without experiencing it yourself?

Those are simply the two best 2016 cars I've driven. AMG GTS is up there too. No need to take that statement for more than face value.
Take a look at Alpha's post above about the F-Pace. None of that really requires personal knowledge of the car.

I mean, if you think, "COTY" as, "Driver's Car of the Year", then I can understand that a bit.

I don't think you intended to sound like a dick at all, but your post comes across as:

"These are the best cars, most of you will never drive any of them, and you can have no opinion on it because you won't have access to these amazing cars."

I know you don't mean it like that, but it comes across as such anyway. Just think on it.

AlphaSnake

You are literally taking this shit too personally. He wasn't being a dick.

AlphaSnake

Take a look at Alpha's post above about the F-Pace. None of that really requires personal knowledge of the car.

I mean, if you think, "COTY" as, "Driver's Car of the Year", then I can understand that a bit.

I don't think you intended to sound like a dick at all, but your post comes across as:

"These are the best cars, most of you will never drive any of them, and you can have no opinion on it because you won't have access to these amazing cars."

I know you don't mean it like that, but it comes across as such anyway. Just think on it.

Yep. Car of the year. Not sports car.

And hey, of course knowing me, I test drove the F-Pace the second I could back in April. LOL. That one is pure experience, as I'm sure you've guessed.

ethered

Futaba

I'd argue, intensely, that spending a few minutes taking a car for a quick spin does not put you in a position to judge the cars characteristics or overall driving experience, infact i would argue that driving a car for a short duration actually negatively impacts the legitamacy of a persons view of it because for that short duration they are still in the 'shock and awe' phase where they are blinded to the negatives.

Its like going to a new country for the first time, the excitement and feeling of going there blinds you to the downsides of the location, downsides someone who lives there would know.

It's especially true if the location is somewhere youve always wanted to visit and idolized before hand.

Evo X

You really want me to fire back? You sure about that?

No thanks. I think having one dude pissed at me is enough.

I would just appreciate if you added a meaningful response to the discussion instead of a drive by post obviously aimed at the biggest Porsche fan boy in the thread.

Ok, I can see that. But it's not how I mean to sound. Can't control how people interpret my posts. I mean, if some dude comes in here and says the two most enjoyable cars he's driven this year were the Aston Martin Vulcan and LaFerrari Aperta, I couldn't really argue against him, but at the same time would feel that those experiences are so far removed my own life that I couldn't relate at all.

I sometimes forget that I might come across that way to other people, and for that I apologize.

But I think it's good to have discussion on a wide range of cars. I don't talk shit about less expensive cars just to feel superior. For example, I think the 2016 Miata is fantastic and had a blast driving a friend's Fiat 500 Abarth. But if I'm fortunate enough to have small amount of experience with the higher spectrum of the automotive world, I don't think I should be shamed into hiding it just to fit in better.
I'd argue, intensely, that spending a few minutes taking a car for a quick spin does not put you in a position to judge the cars characteristics or overall driving experience, infact i would argue that driving a car for a short duration actually negatively impacts the legitamacy of a persons view of it because for that short duration they are still in the 'shock and awe' phase where they are blinded to the negatives.

Its like going to a new country for the first time, the excitement and feeling of going there blinds you to the downsides of the location, downsides someone who lives there would know.

It's especially true if the location is somewhere youve always wanted to visit and idolized before hand.

I never claimed to be an auto journalist. My poor vocabulary can attest to that. Lol

I just like driving a wide variety of cars so I can judge what I personally like or dislike and have a reference point when comparing for my own use in the future. Anything I say should not be taken as anything more than that.

Futaba

I never claimed to be an auto journalist. My poor vocabulary can attest to that. Lol

I just like driving a wide variety of cars so I can judge what I personally like or dislike and have a reference point when comparing for my own use in the future. Anything I say should not be taken as anything more than that.

That's fine and everything but my main issue is with this bit specifically:
I feel like it's bullshit to vote for a car you haven't driven
How you gonna talk shit about one thing or praise another without experiencing it yourself?

Personally, I don't think someone who has briefly driven a particular car is in any better position to vote for, or talk shit about said particular vehicle, as I outlined in my previous post I believe it to be the opposite regardless of if that experience is positive or negative as bias is introduced and the investment of time and interest plays a role.

For example, could someone who takes a car for a spin with the dealer tell me: how it handles in the rain, how fast the brakes fade when driven hard, how engine drone is on a long road trip, how much nose dip there is when braking at speed, how it handles at speed, what the livability is like for day to day life, how it feels with the nannys turned off, etc.

My guess is that almost all of those would go unanswered, so what you're left with is an excited guy/girl having a short spin in a car they likely never intend to but liked enough to test drive to begin with, driving cautiously with the dealer sat in the passenger seat, likely talking up the car and hoping that you'll, despite all odds, want it enough to buy one.

It goes both ways, too, for example many, many years ago, I was t-boned in my Celica RA28, a car I had spent the last year of my life restoring, by an idiot kid in a audi who tried to slip through a crossroad after the lights had turned red, at the time the Celica was the only car I owned and had recently got a second job which I needed a car to get to, my brother gave me an old Nissan Micra K11, I was meh on it before I even step foot in it, after driving it for a day I outright hated it, the dashboard was a plastic POS, the build quality was horrible, the rattle from the exhaust heat shielding drove me crazy, the gearstick vibrated like a sex toy at idle, i hated it so much I damn near gave it back with a mind to just take a cab till I could find something else.

But here's the thing, I didn't, i kept driving it and over the course of several months I actually ended up loving it, and it's one of the few cars I genuinely regret parting with, but if you had asked me, after even the first full day with it, a day in which I had driven over 400 miles, what I thought of it, my answer which initially was neutral would have been "crappiest car ever", yet living with it my answer would be "cheap and cheerful little go-kart with epic fuel economy"

So even in that situation where it's the polar opposite, the initial feeling about a vehicle means nothing and isn't in any way more valid than someone who has never owned or driven a Micra K11, just like someone who takes an expensive sports car for a spin at the dealership isn't going to gain a more valid opinion of a vehicle than someone who hasn't.

And even when someone goes a step further and buys a car, lives with it, the issue crops up where said owner could potentially be effected by bias as they have financially invested in their choice of vehicle, and thus are less likely to accept or discuss the shortcomings of that vehicle, and in many cases, insist that it's better than other vehicles too, I mean hell, every car forum on the planet is filled with people arguing with each other about how their particular car is better than someone elses.

With that in mind, I think it's perfectly fine to have an opinion on a vehicle, either for or against, regardless of how much, or how little experience you've had with it.

Evo X

So you can't give an opinion if you have too little experience with a car or own it for fear of bias?

That would disqualify most people including professional reviewers.

Then you are left with those who just heard or read things, which comes with its own dangers. I mean, how many people that say GTR drives like a videogame have actually driven one?

And I think you're wrong when you say that you can't judge a car in a short time. Maybe not enough to give 100% account of how it will react in every scenario, but certainly things like comfort, technology, power delivery, material quality, transmission, looks, and sound.

Everyone is free to give their opinion, but should at least qualify it. How much credibility you want to give that person is totally up to you.

That's why I ignore most reviews for videogames and movies except for a few friends and journalists that have similar tastes as mine.

I'd weigh their opinion more heavily over some random Steam review from the guy just saw a few screenshots and videos, regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

Futaba

So you can't give an opinion if you have too little experience with a car or own it for fear of bias?

That would disqualify most people including professional reviewers.

Then you are left with those who just heard or read things, which comes with its own dangers. I mean, how many people that say GTR drives like a videogame have actually driven one?

And I think you're wrong when you say that you can't judge a car in a short time. Maybe not enough to give 100% account of how it will react in every scenario, but certainly things like comfort, technology, power delivery, material quality, transmission, looks, and sound.

I'm not saying can't. i'm saying that everyone's vote/opinion is valid without needing to have taken the actual car for a spin, and that writing them off because you assume or even know, they haven't, is not cool.

But to address where you disagree with me, and on the exact points you bring up, tell me the following:

How comfortable is it after several hours of highway driving?
How is the power delivery on a very cold / very hot day?
How durable are the materials used
How sensitive to oil change is the transmission, how is the transmission after the trans oil has heated up

These aren't things you would learn on a short blast around the block, these are things that would take days, weeks, if not months of ownership to fully have a grasp of.

All but one of the points you bring up can be learned of from watching youtube videos and reading reviews, too, they're not things you need to actually drive the car to have a decent grasp of, and that one point that isn't entirely addressed is comfort, as that's dependent upon the driver, their body shape, build, height and indeed the road condition where they live, all play a part in overall comfort levels, so you may get one reviewer saying it's super comfortable, you may get another saying the side support isn't very good because his frame is thinner and thus doesnt fit the seats shape as well.

My point here is that all of the things you learned, beyond personal comfort, could be learned from watching videos and reading reviews, things people commenting without having ever driving the vehicle, have access to.

Hmm, if I can only vote for cars I've driven, I'd obviously lean toward the car I actually bought. I think the only new for 2016 car I've driven is the Camaro, which I did like a lot.

I'd say that limits it a lot for most people as well.

If so my pick is a 1990 nissan 240sx for the best new car of 2016.

I'm not saying can't. i'm saying that everyone's vote/opinion is valid without needing to have taken the actual car for a spin, and that writing them off because you assume or even know, they haven't, is not cool.

But to address where you disagree with me, and on the exact points you bring up, tell me the following:

How comfortable is it after several hours of highway driving?
How is the power delivery on a very cold / very hot day?
How durable are the materials used
How sensitive to oil change is the transmission, how is the transmission after the trans oil has heated up

These aren't things you would learn on a short blast around the block, these are things that would take days, weeks, if not months of ownership to fully have a grasp of.

All but one of the points you bring up can be learned of from watching youtube videos and reading reviews, too, they're not things you need to actually drive the car to have a decent grasp of, and that one point that isn't entirely addressed is comfort, as that's dependent upon the driver, their body shape, build, height and indeed the road condition where they live, all play a part in overall comfort levels, so you may get one reviewer saying it's super comfortable, you may get another saying the side support isn't very good because his frame is thinner and thus doesnt fit the seats shape as well.

My point here is that all of the things you learned, beyond personal comfort, could be learned from watching videos and reading reviews, things people commenting without having ever driving the vehicle, have access to.

While I mostly agree, I will say that you can form a somewhat decent opinion about a car just driving it briefly. When I was working at a car dealership, I wouldn't get to drive most cars very much, but it gave me a good idea about them that I didn't know before. I learned that many cars I had liked before turned out to be kinda shitty, and other cars that I didn't pay any attention to were actually pretty good.

Though I would agree I still don't know how they are to live with them, and my opinion would of course change while owning them.

That said, I think high end cars are hopefully not going to have the problems every day cars do, like for example something like a cheap kia or something falling apart, or materials being cheap. So going by reviews and stuff does give us a good example of a car that most of us will never drive.

I hope that made even a little sense.

Evo X

I want to change my vote to the BMW M2.

Just drove it in Forza Horizon 3 and it was great.

It's fast, fun to drive, good interior, reasonably priced, doesn't have a crazy markup like the 350R, and can make a practical daily.

I don't even think I've driven a car that was made in 2016, lol.

I might cast my vote for the 2016 Civic Type R just because I'm a fanboy and it's a stupid car

I want to change my vote to the BMW M2.

Just drove it in Forza Horizon 3 and it was great.

It's fast, fun to drive, good interior, reasonably priced, doesn't have a crazy markup like the 350R, and can make a practical daily.

Ask your mommy and daddy for one for Christmas.

matmanx1

Evo X I still think I would rather have your GT4 than an M2 (even though I know the M2 costs a lot less). The M2 is good but your GT4 is on a whole other level.

Realistically though, if I had to go out and spend my own money on a new sports car it would probably be something like the new MX-5 (although I would definitely drive the 2017 BRZ, I hear it is supposed to be much improved). The MX-5 costs less than $30k, gets 30+ mpg, handles like a go-kart and will hit 60 mph in about 6 seconds (with some simple mods getting that down closer to 5 seconds). I also think it looks really sharp.

So it's hard to have a discussion like this without also thinking about the price difference between all of these cars. Right now, because I am in sort of a savings mode for my garage project (should be able to start on it in 2017!!) fun per dollar is a big deal to me.

In three years time once the house is paid off along with my current MX-5 we will have a much bigger budget for a possible fun car and I will most likely have different parameters. Still, being a big car nerd, just talking and thinking about stuff like this is entertaining.

Fuckin' hell... got stopped this morning by a cop due to no front license plate.

I didn't get at ticket or whatever, but ugh... that wasn't a nice way to wake up lol.

Funny thing is, it's been 4 years since I've been running front plateless and now I get stopped on a random Saturday morning? Wtf man.

I'm gonna go JDM for now and just zip tie that bitch to my front bumper, gonna get a tow hook plate bracket next week when I get the funds as those fucking things are $70 a pop!

Realistically though, if I had to go out and spend my own money on a new sports car it would probably be something like the new MX-5 (although I would definitely drive the 2017 BRZ, I hear it is supposed to be much improved).

I like what you're thinking lol.

I was reading y'all's posts and thinking about it all day at work and the only car that can really potentially come close to a Miata with backseats and a usable trunk is a Toyobaru. It's slow as hell(makes it challenging to drive), has a really good aftermarket community, cheap to maintain and reliable, and RWD. I'm definitely gonna test drive a BRZ soon as the last time I got in a Toyobaru was in a 2013 FRS and those are supposedly ancient now compared to the newer models.

As for my car of the year?

Yeah I agree the 911R should be counted out because it's ridiculously hard to get, but I also think that people should be able to vote for a car even if they haven't driven it before.

I honestly haven't decided on a COTY. I'd say Focus RS but I feel that it's a cop out since it's been hyped to hell and back by everyone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes. So it looks like we have some consensus here.

The 991R should be eliminated from COTYs.

So Auto-GAF let's pick our own COTY? Any nominees? I'll toss in a few:

2016 Corvette Gran Sport
2016 Jaguar F-Pace
2016 Ford GT350

2017 Audi A4. Been out all year so it counts. Better than the C and 3 and Q50 on balance. I'm not biased at all. It's the only big purchase I've made in years that gets better the longer I live with it. I'm excited to see the long term reviews.*

* If you want a four door go-kart, then the 3. If you want a cabin that looks like a WW2 cyberpunk sex dungeon, the C. I mean both of those as a compliment, btw.

boltz

You have large hands, largest ever. Best hands! :p

The Asian students likely have wealthy ass parents!

Yup, it seems like Maseratis are the preferred ride for a lot of rich immigrant kids in Socal. Where do Maseratis fall in terms of performance/luxury anyway? They have never really appealed to me as their design comes off as pretty generic and their performance doesn't seem to be anything special - I suppose their exclusivity is a big draw if you live in a sea of Audis and Beemers?

As for my vote for COTY, I'm going to have to say the Camaro SS. I'm not much of a muscle car guy and I prefer the Mustang's exterior design, but it's a crazy performance bargain.

Stinkles

Yup, it seems like Maseratis are the preferred ride for a lot of rich immigrant kids in Socal. Where do Maseratis fall in terms of performance/luxury anyway? They have never really appealed to me as their design comes off as pretty generic and their performance doesn't seem to be anything special - I suppose their exclusivity is a big draw if you live in a sea of Audis and Beemers?

As for my vote for COTY, I'm going to have to say the Camaro SS. I'm not much of a muscle car guy and I prefer the Mustang's exterior design, but it's a crazy performance bargain.

I honestly think it's a mainland Chinese culture thing - the same sort of phenomenon as Buick - whereby it has extra extra status attached to it. Obviously it's a fancy car, and the Ferrari DNA is cool, but some of the kids driving them here in Seattle could be driving anything basically, but picked Maserati because it has some imported coolness from home.

To answer your question about where they fall - they're kinda like a rougher yet comfier Ferrari for old people. The Quattroporte is an Audi S8 alternative of sorts, so they're not exactly focused in terms of brand, and they get mixed reviews. The Quattroporte got wrecked for being overpriced. Doesn't beat its competition in any way whatsoever, tech, speed, comfort, nothing. Pure badge decision. That said, I like 'em.

AlphaSnake

2017 Audi A4. Been out all year so it counts. Better than the C and 3 and Q50 on balance. I'm not biased at all. It's the only big purchase I've made in years that gets better the longer I live with it. I'm excited to see the long term reviews.*

* If you want a four door go-kart, then the 3. If you want a cabin that looks like a WW2 cyberpunk sex dungeon, the C. I mean both of those as a compliment, btw.

The four-door go-kart would be the Jag XE. The 3-series has been toppled if you want to talk about purity and sport prowess. Even the 340i doesn't handle quite as well as the XE does, it's improved over the 335i, but the XE's suspension is simply in a class of its own. BMW's advantage is that it's the larger car, but sometimes I feel like it defeats the purpose of a car like the 3-series, which created an immense legacy and class, only to give up on it with the F30s.

Stinkles

The four-door go-kart would be the Jag XE. The 3-series has been toppled if you want to talk about purity and sport prowess. Even the 340i doesn't handle quite as well as the XE does, it's improved over the 335i, but the XE's suspension is simply in a class of its own. BMW's advantage is that it's the larger car, but sometimes I feel like it defeats the purpose of a car like the 3-series, which created an immense legacy and class, only to give up on it with the F30s.

I'd have bought the XE if a) Wife would have let me b) I wasn't originally from the UK and therefore had built in love/paranoia about the brand and c) the 3.0 liter was a bit cheaper.

I feel guilty about excluding it because I am the first person to jump down someone's throat when they say "lol American/Korean reliability" but three decades of old Jag was too much to overcome.

edit: The one that really disappointed me was the Q50, because I thought it was going to be a slamdunk. But man that thing is noisy and unpolished.

AlphaSnake

I honestly think it's a mainland Chinese culture thing - the same sort of phenomenon as Buick - whereby it has extra extra status attached to it. Obviously it's a fancy car, and the Ferrari DNA is cool, but some of the kids driving them here in Seattle could be driving anything basically, but picked Maserati because it has some imported coolness from home.

As far as where Maseratis fall in terms of performance and luxury? Nowhere, really. They may be the very definition of buying a car for its badge. At base it's $20,000 more expensive than a BMW 528i or Jaguar XF 35t, yet offers a fraction of the equipment. For 71K you could be driving an optioned out XF R-Sport or a 550i or a fucking Audi S6. Or, you can step up an entire class and buy a fucking Jaguar XJ for the same cost as a stripped out Ghibli with an interior from the mid-2000s.

The first time I sat inside a Ghibli I thought the interior was really nice. Pretty gauges, decent steering wheel, liked the familiar ZF shifter, the center con--wtf...who slapped an Etch-a-Sketch on the center console? It's so, so garish. A salesman came up and laughed that I wasn't the only one who touched and fiddled with that piece in amazement. He didn't give a shit telling me that, he only sold the Ferraris on the lot. LOL. It's just such an ugly afterthought. Throw a veneer on that bitch or some shit. Ugh.

maserati_ghibli-rt-20140228_0028.jpg

2014-maserati-ghibli-q4-interior-photo-521809-s-1280x782.jpg

Also, I always reference this hilarious article about why the Ghibli sucks.

http://jalopnik.com/the-maserati-ghibli-is-a-luxury-sedan-that-sucks-at-lux-1714664806

Stinkles

As far as where Maseratis fall in terms of performance and luxury? Nowhere, really. They may be the very definition of buying a car for its badge. At base it's $20,000 more expensive than a BMW 528i or Jaguar XF 35t, yet offers a fraction of the equipment. For 71K you could be driving an optioned out XF R-Sport or a 550i or a fucking Audi S6. Or, you can step up an entire class and buy a fucking Jaguar XJ for the same cost as a stripped out Ghibli with an interior from the mid-2000s.

The first time I sat inside a Ghibli I thought the interior was really nice. Pretty gauges, decent steering wheel, liked the familiar ZF shifter, the center con--wtf...who slapped an Etch-a-Sketch on the center console? It's so, so garish. A salesman came up and laughed that I wasn't the only one who touched and fiddled with that piece in amazement. He didn't give a shit telling me that, he only sold the Ferraris on the lot. LOL. It's just such an ugly afterthought. Throw a veneer on that bitch or some shit. Ugh.

http://jalopnik.com/the-maserati-ghibli-is-a-luxury-sedan-that-sucks-at-lux-1714664806

Yup. That's what I was sayin but I was trying to be polite in case somebody here had one. And I keep saying QP instead of Ghibli. I think when you name all your cars after types of wind, then fart comparisons are on you.

Stinkles said:
The Quattroporte is an Audi S8 alternative of sorts, so they're not exactly focused in terms of brand, and they get mixed reviews. The Quattroporte got wrecked for being overpriced. Doesn't beat its competition in any way whatsoever, tech, speed, comfort, nothing. Pure badge decision. That said, I like 'em.

FStop7

Banned
The Maserati dealership near me has a Ghibli on a ramp covered in giant decals that read "$399 a month! Zero down!"

It looks like something you'd expect from a shady used car dealership. All that's missing is wavy tube man.

I can't believe that Maserati corporate would allow it. Their brand is their currency and that really damages the air of luxury and exclusivity it needs in order to exist.

burgerdog

That looks awful, a 2016 nissan maxima has a classier interior than that. I've seen you slam the ghibli before and now it's easier to understand why.

AlphaSnake

I'd have bought the XE if a) Wife would have let me b) I wasn't originally from the UK and therefore had built in love/paranoia about the brand and c) the 3.0 liter was a bit cheaper.

I feel guilty about excluding it because I am the first person to jump down someone's throat when they say "lol American/Korean reliability" but three decades of old Jag was too much to overcome.

edit: The one that really disappointed me was the Q50, because I thought it was going to be a slamdunk. But man that thing is noisy and unpolished.

I didn't know you were a Britishman.

I didn't even know you were British. Hah. Where do you live currently? Here in the US, the 3.0 is a bargain. Starts at 42k MSRP. Goes down to 39K invoice. Absolute steal for what you get. The days of Jaguar's unreliability are done with. I can say that with absolute confidence. My XF 5.0 was just an absolute beast. Survived a huge drunken accident and not so much as the alignment was out of whack after $30K went in to fix it. All the way through the lease, shitty NYC roads, Florida heat and rain, and now my next door neighbor bought it from the dealer who couldn't believe the car was even repaired. Normally cars like these are sent back to the bank and to the auction. My dealer bought it, and my neighbor wanted it because he loved it. So I still get to see Pierce every day. :)

Right now, I'd say the most unreliable Jags are the early F-Type V8S and the first wave of the V8 Coupes. They had an all new AC system made for the car's package that would condensate a lot inside and cause leaking through the dash and carpets. If abused, the e-diff will go. And again, if abused with hard launches, the transmission mounts will get mushy or deteriorate with time. But you'd be surprised that Jag parts are cheaper than you'd think. Example:

NYC snow salt caused a small bit of rust to form on my '12 XF's water pump. Turns out it was common and my SA said it probably won't even be an issue until years down. But they'll replace it regardless. So I had the same issue on my 335i Coupe, which was the driving reason for selling that car. BMW CPO warranty didn't want to cover the issue and said it's wear and tear (LOOOOL) and that I'd have to pay $1600 out of pocket. So I sold the car asap for the Jag. Anyway, when I asked what a water pump would cost out of pocket on the XF, it was only $475 for the part and $240 for labor. Almost $1000 cheaper.

So yeah, the XE would've made you happy. It's a car running on tested hardware: the 3.0 SC, the ZF8, the infotainment system from the new XF and XJ, etc. But I totally agree with you on the Q50...it already feels super dated inside. But oddly, the Q60 Coupe is getting some really good reviews.

AlphaSnake

The Maserati dealership near me has a Ghibli on a ramp covered in giant decals that read "$399 a month! Zero down!"

It looks like something you'd expect from a shady used car dealership. All that's missing is wavy tube man.

I can't believe that Maserati corporate would allow it. Their brand is their currency and that really damages the air of luxury and exclusivity it needs in order to exist.

Look at the fine print. It usually excludes taxes, DMV, first month payment, bank fees (anything that's not an actual cap reduced down payment) and Maserati pushes a 5000 mile lease for a deal that low. That's 5000 miles...per year. Not 12,000, not 10,000. Five. If you're feeling really adventurous, step it up to 7500! Right now, at MSRP with like 7K out of pocket, you're at $900 a month for a 10K mile lease.

That looks awful, a 2016 nissan maxima has a classier interior than that. I've seen you slam the ghibli before and now it's easier to understand why.

It's just that fucking Etch-a-Sketch is so awful. And yeah, the new Maxima DOES have a good looking interior.

Stinkles

I didn't know you were a Britishman.

I didn't even know you were British. Hah. Where do you live currently? Here in the US, the 3.0 is a bargain. Starts at 42k MSRP. Goes down to 39K invoice. Absolute steal for what you get. The days of Jaguar's unreliability are done with. I can say that with absolute confidence. My XF 5.0 was just an absolute beast. Survived a huge drunken accident and not so much as the alignment was out of whack after $30K went in to fix it. All the way through the lease, shitty NYC roads, Florida heat and rain, and now my next door neighbor bought it from the dealer who couldn't believe the car was even repaired. Normally cars like these are sent back to the bank and to the auction. My dealer bought it, and my neighbor wanted it because he loved it. So I still get to see Pierce every day. :)

Right now, I'd say the most unreliable Jags are the early F-Type V8S and the first wave of the V8 Coupes. They had an all new AC system made for the car's package that would condensate a lot inside and cause leaking through the dash and carpets. If abused, the e-diff will go. And again, if abused with hard launches, the transmission mounts will get mushy or deteriorate with time. But you'd be surprised that Jag parts are cheaper than you'd think. Example:

NYC snow salt caused a small bit of rust to form on my '12 XF's water pump. Turns out it was common and my SA said it probably won't even be an issue until years down. But they'll replace it regardless. So I had the same issue on my 335i Coupe, which was the driving reason for selling that car. BMW CPO warranty didn't want to cover the issue and said it's wear and tear (LOOOOL) and that I'd have to pay $1600 out of pocket. So I sold the car asap for the Jag. Anyway, when I asked what a water pump would cost out of pocket on the XF, it was only $475 for the part and $240 for labor. Almost $1000 cheaper.

So yeah, the XE would've made you happy. It's a car running on tested hardware: the 3.0 SC, the ZF8, the infotainment system from the new XF and XJ, etc. But I totally agree with you on the Q50...it already feels super dated inside. But oddly, the Q60 Coupe is getting some really good reviews.

Seattle. The loaded awd was almost the same price as the a4 although obviously a way better PowerPot.

Top Bottom