• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Momentary

Banned
I'd expect the Z07 to be right around 100k fully optioned out. No car will be faster for that price though.

That's what I'm thinking too. Even the GTR Nismo can't compare in the value department. Screw it. z07 it is. I never thought in a million years that I'd be going after a Corvette. I always considered it an old man's sports car. I am getting old. I'm only 30 though. I always see men in their 40s or 50s in them.

No Love

Banned
Would love to try a C63..however in the past when I've went to look at them the Mercedes dealer will not let me test drive one. Something something AMG low mileage something. Well I'm not going to buy a 70k+ car blind without test driving it so fuck off.

I'm being pushed to get something though from the wife. My CPO runs out next month, but I still have some months left on my note. May just have to take a bath on it and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Not trying to have a BMW out of warranty.

My girlfriend works for Mercedes Benz and I just told her about your situation, Smokey. This is standard procedure for Benz dealers simply because AMG buyers don't want to buy a car with extra miles on it, BUT she does have a work-around for you:

Ask to have your credit run because you are very interested in buying, but you refuse to buy without a test drive. Say "I want to buy a C63 but I NEED to test drive one first. If you won't allow me to do this, I'm either going to another Benz dealer or I'm going to BMW and putting money down on an M4."

If this fails, say "Obviously you don't have the authority to get me what I want, so I want to talk to the general sales manager. Go get them please."

Unless the GSM is a dick, you'll get what you want. Give it a shot.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Would love to try a C63..however in the past when I've went to look at them the Mercedes dealer will not let me test drive one. Something something AMG low mileage something. Well I'm not going to buy a 70k+ car blind without test driving it so fuck off.

I'm being pushed to get something though from the wife. My CPO runs out next month, but I still have some months left on my note. May just have to take a bath on it and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Not trying to have a BMW out of warranty.

My girlfriend works for Mercedes Benz and I just told her about your situation, Smokey. This is standard procedure for Benz dealers simply because AMG buyers don't want to buy a car with extra miles on it, BUT she does have a work-around for you:

Ask to have your credit run because you are very interested in buying, but you refuse to buy without a test drive. Say "I want to buy a C63 but I NEED to test drive one first. If you won't allow me to do this, I'm either going to another Benz dealer or I'm going to BMW and putting money down on an M4."

If this fails, say "Obviously you don't have the authority to get me what I want, so I want to talk to the general sales manager. Go get them please."

No lie, but I think a lot of dealerships are, umm...racist and massive stereotypers.

If they see a black guy walk in asking for a test drive of an expensive car, that person is usually turned down. My friends have experienced this. I've seen it happen. It's really fucked up.

If they see a young kid walk in asking for a test drive of a moderately expensive car or sports car, they're often asked questions about their working situation, financial questions, etc. as part of a "convo" before they take your license for that test drive. I've experienced this shopping for Audis and BMWs.

Now that I've gotten older, and I dress better, and I walk in with my wife, salesmen and managers treat me completely differently.

Smokey

No lie, but I think a lot of dealerships are, umm...racist and massive stereotypers.

If they see a black guy walk in asking for a test drive of an expensive car, that person is usually turned down. My friends have experienced this. I've seen it happen. It's really fucked up.

If they see a young kid walk in asking for a test drive of a moderately expensive car or sports car, they're often asked questions about their working situation, financial questions, etc. as part of a "convo" before they take your license for that test drive. I've experienced this shopping for Audis and BMWs.

Now that I've gotten older, and I dress better, and I walk in with my wife, salesmen and managers treat me completely differently.

I just got back from my car day today. Went to Porsche and BMW. Before heading out I did call around 4 different MB dealerships and pretty much said the same thing NLFFWD said (this was earlier this morning before your message) just to make sure I wasn't being discriminated against. Like Alpha said...I kind of got that feeling in person when I went to ask about it. It turns out that they don't really let you test drive the AMGs for the reasons that were mentioned. All 4 dealerships said the same thing. I explained to them that I own a BMW and what my options are and how I would really like to test one out, but they all said unless it's used their policy isn't to do it for AMGs. If they don't have any used AMGs well you're just shit out of luck. I find that hard to believe but this is what they all said.

Porsche, Audi, and BMW have treated me really well. I got to test drive a 2015 RS5 with no problems. Same with Porsche awhile ago and again today. Took my license, gave me and the wife the keys, and let us have at it on the freeway. That stuff goes a long way with me which is why I don't even really consider the C63 most of the time. It may be awesome but their "policy" around it and the AMG line is trash so fuck em.

Well I wouldn't even bother getting a current gen C63 anyway since the next one is coming out next year. Smokey you still thinking about the C7?

Smokey

Well I wouldn't even bother getting a current gen C63 anyway since the next one is coming out next year. Smokey you still thinking about the C7?

Even then it's more of wanting to get a feel for the car. I'm all about hands on. I watch a ton of videos but it isn't a substitute for an actual drive. I can't even get that from MB.

Same thing with the stingray. Nobody has them in they are all orders from buyers.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
That's what I'm thinking too. Even the GTR Nismo can't compare in the value department. Screw it. z07 it is. I never thought in a million years that I'd be going after a Corvette. I always considered it an old man's sports car. I am getting old. I'm only 30 though. I always see men in their 40s or 50s in them.

Plus you actually drive the Z06. Don't get me wrong the GTR is a hell of a car, but if I'm spending 6 figures on a car I want that car to have soul and personality.

J-Rzez

Plus you actually drive the Z06. Don't get me wrong the GTR is a hell of a car, but if I'm spending 6 figures on a car I want that car to have soul and personality.

I would take the GT-R because of GM build quality, not to mention it's production quality feel if it's the same materials used as the stingray. They still feel poor inside, no different than any economy car. The GT-R has a soul and personality, it's just different from the vette. People like to make it sound like you're not driving a GT-R and it's an autonomous car, but that is not the case of something that fast, and that heavy.

But if you want a true, purist car, go buy an Ariel Atom or something similar.

Even then it's more of wanting to get a feel for the car. I'm all about hands on. I watch a ton of videos but it isn't a substitute for an actual drive. I can't even get that from MB.

Same thing with the stingray. Nobody has them in they are all orders from buyers.

Yeah I understand, pretty shitty policy and I have a hard time understanding how they expect to get new AMG customers with no test drives. I hear dealers have been pretty open with M4 test drives.

Momentary

Banned
I would take the GT-R because of GM build quality, not to mention it's production quality feel if it's the same materials used as the stingray. They still feel poor inside, no different than any economy car. The GT-R has a soul and personality, it's just different from the vette. People like to make it sound like you're not driving a GT-R and it's an autonomous car, but that is not the case of something that fast, and that heavy.

While looking up reviews for the Black Edition I would keep reading how the dash components look and feel cheap. I've looked at both in person while shopping and I gotta say the stingray had it going on with the their dash. GT-R's interior, in my opinion, is lacking. Also a big turn off for me is that it's paddle shift. There's something about feeling rumble of the engine through the shifter that gives me a connection in the car. I really felt disconnected while driving the GT-R. Only pluses for me at the time, before the z06 announcement, was that the GT-R had more HP, all wheel drive, and it's less common than seeing a Corvette.

mAcOdIn

Posted a pic on the page prior. Not in town and only with an ipad. But here are a few more.
ri2V4Z3.jpg
Beautiful car but the key looks like the key to one of Voltron's lions.

Anyways, I just bought a new Mazda M3 I SV, the plain jane 2.0 liter automatic model and I was wondering if there was any for sure aftermarket things I should do to it. Not interested in actual racing or anything extreme like that just wondering if there's anything that can improve the vehicle and eek some further life out of it, I want it to last a long time. This is my first Mazda, first Japanese car, first automobile not an SUV and first car manufactured this millennium so everything's different to me.

Also interested in possible aftermarket audio solutions that would fit the vehicle and look close to stock as it's barebones in that department, lol, I don't even have a cassette player let alone a CD player.

While looking up reviews for the Black Edition I would keep reading how the dash components look and feel cheap. I've looked at both in person while shopping and I gotta say the stingray had it going on with the their dash. GT-R's interior, in my opinion, is lacking. Also a big turn off for me is that it's paddle shift. There's something about feeling rumble of the engine through the shifter that gives me a connection in the car. I really felt disconnected while driving the GT-R. Only pluses for me at the time, before the z06 announcement, was that the GT-R had more HP, all wheel drive, and it's less common than seeing a Corvette.

I've owned a GT-R r35 for 3 years now, and it does have a soul and it doesn't drive on it own..its just diffrent. I've also driven alot of high end cars and I never understood why people keep saying the gt-r doesn't have soul, its probably the same misconceptions that a viper doesn't handle well, which does. The thing the GT-R is lacking is it presence, if you don't look at it with rose tinted riceboy glasses..its not an attractive car. Its not a bad looking car but for the price, your not paying for the looks but for performance ...anyways I would replace my GT-R with a stingray z06 in a heartbeat if could...

Momentary

Banned
I've owned a GT-R r35 for 3 years now, and it does have a soul and it doesn't drive on it own..its just diffrent. I've also driven alot of high end cars and I never understood why people keep saying the gt-r doesn't have soul, its probably the same misconceptions that a viper doesn't handle well, which does. The thing the GT-R is lacking is it presence, if you don't look at it with rose tinted riceboy glasses..its not an attractive car. Its not a bad looking car but for the price, your not paying for the looks but for performance ...anyways I would replace my GT-R with a stingray z06 in a heartbeat if could...

If I had a GT-R already I wouldn't replace with anything other than another GT-R. I hear the R36 is right around corner. Although, they say that it'll be 800hp and a hybrid. That will easily put it closer to a 150-200K price point. That is WAY past my limit.

AlphaSnake

If you're concerned about the Corvette's interior...and think the Nissan is any better, you haven't been inside a GT-R long enough. The GT-R's interior is very boxy, disfigured, extremely plastic and overall lacks a premium look. The center stack simply has no aesthetic flow to it, it's such a massive turn off. It's the one thing that's always put me off from getting one.

Mazda it is. Went for the 2014 iSport 4 door automatic in meteor gray. A bit of a stepback from the 2LT Cruze interior wise, though. Other than that, I think this is the better long term move. Especially if the highway gas mileage(I spend like 80% on the highway), is in the upper 30s MPG versus the low 30s in the Cruze.

Mazda really hit the styling exterior out of the park. I imagine the only long-term additions I would consider is maybe going to a 17 inch tire and alloy rims. Instead of the current 16 inch steel wheels.

Should have just went for it the first time, but oh well.

Shapingo

Well, ordered a 2015 WRX premium, yes, WRX not STI now. 4 reports of ringland issues in the 2015 STI thus far from forums means not dealing with that shit. I plan on keeping this car until I'm done with school, or paying it off and getting a full on weekend toy then. Maybe then the STI will have a new respectable motor in it by then too, because the chassis seems to be fantastic now. Though 30+ mpg on the highway is what people are reporting will be nice as I'm driving to my clinicals and such.

Oh well, 3-4 months estimated delivery time. Should know after 30 days exact delivery date.

First new car I bought in 10 years, lol. So long Evo VIII, you have served me well. :(

Congrats, I went from an Evo to a 2015 WRX as well. Please tell me you didn't get the CVT :)

lem0n

oh my god that is the most bro-tastic truck ive ever seen. exploder body with ranger front clip, too? lawd

for 1350 tho, can't complain haha go have fun out there in the mud

J-Rzez

If you're concerned about the Corvette's interior...and think the Nissan is any better, you haven't been inside a GT-R long enough. The GT-R's interior is very boxy, disfigured, extremely plastic and overall lacks a premium look. The center stack simply has no aesthetic flow to it, it's such a massive turn off. It's the one thing that's always put me off from getting one.

I've been them the same amount of time i've been in vettes, and the new one at that, and while the GT-R will never win awards for best interior, I feel it's still superior to the Vette. This is something that GM can not get right. There's a reason each time they say "we hear you about the Vette's interior, and we fixed it this time". Right down to the rat leather.

Congrats, I went from an Evo to a 2015 WRX as well. Please tell me you didn't get the CVT :)

Nice!

Ater telling the guy I only owned manual transmission cars for the last 18 years, the silly sales guy asked me if I was interested in the CVT because it's "way faster", in which I laughed and said just order me my manual WR Blue WRX please. :)

I ordered the premium model since they came down on the price. I was going to order a base but since the dropped down the price enough I decided I might as well go with the premium. Didn't option their Harmon Kardon system despite him telling me it's "boomin". Just said "nope, i'll install better stuff for way cheaper, thanks".

Anyways, Long live the glorious manual transmission!

I can recognize that some autos are superior than a true manual, no doubt. If I bought a crazy expensive car and it had it then sure. But in these segments of cars forget it. Manuals only.

lem0n

Went down to the Pt Pleasant Beach yesterday, walking back to my car, I see this on the street;

Was a bit shocked to see a McClaren just sitting on the road like that.
Aren't they so amazing in person? That's a really nice color/wheel combo you saw, too. If I were loaded, I would have a 12C or even a 650S to daily drive. It's the same sort of "usable" as a 911, just with a bit more flair.

rokkerkory

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

audi_rs5_01.jpg

Wife and I on a whim decided to stop by Audi today. Never really looked into them. Dealership was super helpful. Decided to look into the RS5. Got a test drive and everything. Dat engine. Dat V8. The handling. The feel.

It started up and I was like ;_;

I need to get into a M4 for a drive. Because this right here...was nice.

Now I need Alpha to come in here with some real talk on this for me

M4 will spank RS5 sideways and spit it out again. Both for daily driving and track driving.

RS5 is a great car too.

Shapingo

Nice!

Ater telling the guy I only owned manual transmission cars for the last 18 years, the silly sales guy asked me if I was interested in the CVT because it's "way faster", in which I laughed and said just order me my manual WR Blue WRX please. :)

I ordered the premium model since they came down on the price. I was going to order a base but since the dropped down the price enough I decided I might as well go with the premium. Didn't option their Harmon Kardon system despite him telling me it's "boomin". Just said "nope, i'll install better stuff for way cheaper, thanks".

Anyways, Long live the glorious manual transmission!

I can recognize that some autos are superior than a true manual, no doubt. If I bought a crazy expensive car and it had it then sure. But in these segments of cars forget it. Manuals only.

I bought WRB as well. Can't really go wrong with Subaru's official color.

Good choice in not getting the premium audio, it sucks. In fact the base audio is terrible as well, it sounds like you are in a metal tube when listening to the stock system.

CVT faster..............lol
Dealers are pushing the CVT hard, I think it is because that is all I see sitting on the lots around me. Must be a tough sell. Even a a standard 6 speed auto like in the BRZ would have been better than the CVT. I'd buy the Forester XT if I wanted a CVT.

One thing I don't like about the WRX is the huge high butt. It is hard to see out of the back. Honestly the rear view camera must have been made standard because the engineers knew reversing leaves massive blind spots.
Yes I know by 2017 all cars will have rear cameras as mandatory

DSC_0303.jpg

Yes Manuals for life.........
DSC_0319.jpg

AlphaSnake

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

I would never buy a CVT WRX. You're a good man for getting an MT, especially considering how easy Subaru MTs are to drive.

Plus, I may be weird...but I actually never found much wrong with the new WRX/STi looks.

Reven

I would never buy a CVT WRX. You're a good man for getting an MT, especially considering how easy Subaru MTs are to drive.

Plus, I may be weird...but I actually never found much wrong with the new WRX/STi looks.

Same here, I think they are pretty good looking. Except the profile view makes it look like it has a huge greenhouse with a really tall B pillar.

ameratsu

Cool video. The narrator's definition of JDM is misleading. He says it originally referred to products coming from japan but now is used to describe japanese automotive culture in general. The clip they have immediately following this (3 min mark) is a lot more accurate.

Here the street racer correctly points out that North American Honda tuners take Japanese market parts and popularized ideas they like and call it JDM style. This cherry picked JDM style is co opted to be compatible with their local car culture. He also points out that this co opted version of JDM style is repackaged and sold back to Japanese enthusiasts as true JDM style, which is pretty interesting.

Cool video. The narrator's definition of JDM is misleading. He says it originally referred to products coming from japan but now is used to describe japanese automotive culture in general. The clip they have immediately following this (3 min mark) is a lot more accurate.

Here the street racer correctly points out that North American Honda tuners take Japanese market parts and popularized ideas they like and call it JDM style. This cherry picked JDM style is co opted to be compatible with their local car culture. He also points out that this co opted version of JDM style is repackaged and sold back to Japanese enthusiasts as true JDM style, which is pretty interesting.

I watched another one of their videos, and it was about a USDM auto show in Japan, lol.

Well stated. I thought that part of the video was really interesting, and it was really interesting.

I watched another one of their videos, and it was about a USDM auto show in Japan, lol.

I have a friend who's car was featured in USDM Freax magazine. The "Hellaflush" style has caught on in Japan over the last few years.

Well stated. I thought that part of the video was really interesting, and it was really interesting.

I have a friend who's car was featured in USDM Freax magazine. The "Hellaflush" style has caught on in Japan over the last few years.

I always thought that the "hellaflush" movement is basically just an offshoot of the Japanese VIP movement.

The narrator is partially right I believe. But right after the year 2001 when a certain movie came out, the whole definition of JDM started to change.

I always thought there was 2 levels to the Japanese car culture in the western world. JDM was for modded economy cars like the Civics in the video, and the Tuner cars were the RX-7's, 3000GT's, Supra's, you name it.

When the 1st F&F came out JDM and Tuners combined and became what we now know as US-JDM. From there stylistic cues from the Bosozoku started appearing, Japanese Tuner car cues also showed up and somehow the US-JDM crowd developed the Hellaflush thing.

I personally think the whole US-JDM scene has gone wayside. It was interesting a while back seeing economy cars braaaping with fart cans, seeing what they could achieve sound and sometimes performance wise out of their cars. Now it's all about dropping 1k on Megan Street coils, or cutting springs going as low as possible which IMO is just stupid as hell. No performance benefit and it mostly looks tacky.

J-Rzez

I bought WRB as well. Can't really go wrong with Subaru's official color.

Good choice in not getting the premium audio, it sucks. In fact the base audio is terrible as well, it sounds like you are in a metal tube when listening to the stock system.

CVT faster..............lol
Dealers are pushing the CVT hard, I think it is because that is all I see sitting on the lots around me. Must be a tough sell. Even a a standard 6 speed auto like in the BRZ would have been better than the CVT. I'd buy the Forester XT if I wanted a CVT.

One thing I don't like about the WRX is the huge high butt. It is hard to see out of the back. Honestly the rear view camera must have been made standard because the engineers knew reversing leaves massive blind spots.
Yes I know by 2017 all cars will have rear cameras as mandatory

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

More pics! Great looking car. :)

I actually like the styling of this WRX, perhaps coming from an Evo and that it looks Evo-ish lol. Sure it's not as slender looking as my 8 is, but it's still a good looking car. Especially when I get my red Rally Armor mudflaps on that thing lol. I learned last time that they are a necessity to protect the paint, as did my friends who actually had WRXs.

Are the factory tires kinda "meh"? Are they a summer or more like all-season? With the ridiculous hill driving and winters here I'm probably just going to have to go with Blizzaks or Nokians or something when I research newer tires. And one of my annoyances with cars... Are the brake calipers painted from the factory in a decent finish or are they that light silver/black finish?

And yep, Subaru, for whatever reason can not get the stereo right. A lot has to do with the head unit as my buddy putting in a Pioneer screen made a significant upgrade in sound quality, but I think i'm doing Pioneer screen with full alpine or JL speakers and amp.

The only thing I'll have to resist is the urge to day one order that Tomei Ti cat back for some sound. If I were smart I'd wait until after winter. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart in that regard. I love me some sound and a single can exhaust. Wish Invidia didn't use flex-loom on their exhaust, I would probably go with that one. And Blitz doesn't make the exhausts like they used to unfortunately.

I always thought that the "hellaflush" movement is basically just an offshoot of the Japanese VIP movement.

I can see that, but it's more about the fitment of the wheels (overall stance), and not the overall aesthetics and detail of VIP cars. They are actually importing USDM parts... pretty much mimicking the show cars coming out of SoCal over the last few years.

And Blitz doesn't make the exhausts like they used to unfortunately.

Eh?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hellcat Officially $59,995

That's gotta be before the inevitable gas-guzzler tax, lol. It's been confirmed to burn gas at a rate of 1.5 gallons per minute with the hammer down. Bill McKibben is going to have a heart attack upon learning that.
Top speed is confirmed at 199 MPH. A little disappointed that they couldn't get to the double-century mark, if you ask me.

The pricing for the other Challengers is as follows:

SXT (Pentastar V6): $26,995
R/T (5.7 Hemi): $31,495
R/T Scat Pack (392 Hemi) :$38,495
SRT 392 (392 Hemi): $45,995

More info: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-will-hit-199-mph-burn-1-5-gal/

Viperbah

That's gotta be before the inevitable gas-guzzler tax, lol. It's been confirmed to burn gas at a rate of 1.5 gallons per minute with the hammer down. Bill McKibben is going to have a heart attack upon learning that.
Top speed is confirmed at 199 MPH. A little disappointed that they couldn't get to the double-century mark, if you ask me.

The pricing for the other Challengers is as follows:

SXT (Pentastar V6): $26,995
R/T (5.7 Hemi): $31,495
R/T Scat Pack (392 Hemi) :$38,495
SRT 392 (392 Hemi): $45,995

More info: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-will-hit-199-mph-burn-1-5-gal/

lol smh...I like that dodge brags about things like this.

Top Bottom