• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

hwalker84

That's gotta be before the inevitable gas-guzzler tax, lol. It's been confirmed to burn gas at a rate of 1.5 gallons per minute with the hammer down. Bill McKibben is going to have a heart attack upon learning that.
Top speed is confirmed at 199 MPH. A little disappointed that they couldn't get to the double-century mark, if you ask me.

The pricing for the other Challengers is as follows:

SXT (Pentastar V6): $26,995
R/T (5.7 Hemi): $31,495
R/T Scat Pack (392 Hemi) :$38,495
SRT 392 (392 Hemi): $45,995

More info: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-will-hit-199-mph-burn-1-5-gal/

Includes gas guzzlers

The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat – the most powerful and fastest muscle car ever – with power and performance figures once reserved for exotics, has a starting U.S. MSRP of $59,995 (excluding $995 destination, includes $2,100 gas-guzzler tax; $1,700 gas-guzzler tax on models with the TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic).

11807766613_7f6ab0d335_n.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You know when you see something, and you just know - somewhere in your core - that one day... you don't know how... but one day, you'll own that?

I saw Air Force One shoes in 6th grade. By 7th, I had them.

I saw the Palm Tungsten T3, and six months later, I begged, borrowed, and stole my way to one.

In HS, a kid bought a brand new, top-end 15" G4 PowerBook. I told myself that someday, I would have something that nice. It took more than seven years, but now I'm typing on a 15" retina MBP.

It might be six months or six years, I'm not sure. But mark my words, I WILL own a Hellcat. Period.

Smokey

You know when you see something, and you just know - somewhere in your core - that one day... you don't know how... but one day, you'll own that?

I saw the Palm Tungsten T3, and six months later, I begged, borrowed, and stole my way to one.

In HS, a kid bought a brand new, top-end 15" G4 PowerBook. I told myself that someday, I would have something that nice. It took more than seven years, but now I'm typing on a 15" retina MBP.

It might be six months or six years, I'm not sure. But mark my words, I WILL own a Hellcat. Period.

Get hyypppeeed!

Beautiful car but the key looks like the key to one of Voltron's lions.

Had to google it.. and I still don't get it.
mYdvm2UZVDV-4tMfzK1SgIg.jpg

Anyways.. After a few days with the Evora (just got back from EVO)... i love this damn car.

Lotus handling is so freaking amazing. The car sounds like sex with the exhaust and revving as well and it takes bumps on the roads better than my MINI did that is for sure (which is really surprising for a Lotus)

Few things I hate... DRLs can't be turned off or something which forces the backlights on the displays to dim a bit during the day. There are apparently workarounds but that is so wonky. The GPS is kinda meh but I expected that since it was something that Lotus just shoe horned into the Evora's. I can barely see out of the back window. BARELY. In fact, it is almost overly scary. The blind spots are real in this car. I have to like quadruple check to see if I'm not going to hit anyone. What is even more crazy is the blind spots are worse than the MINI Coupe S (2 seater hardtop) which is known for having some of the worst.

But... other than that.. I freaking love it :D

I am also absolutely scared driving it. I feel like I have to be so freakishly careful with this car. I know that will fade soon so I'm looking forward to that happening :)

Ty4on

CVT faster..............lol
Dealers are pushing the CVT hard, I think it is because that is all I see sitting on the lots around me. Must be a tough sell. Even a a standard 6 speed auto like in the BRZ would have been better than the CVT. I'd buy the Forester XT if I wanted a CVT.

I love the connection from a manual, but CVTs are theoretically the fastest gearbox possible. It would have been interesting to see an alternative future where CVTs weren't banned from F1. Just found this facinating video of Coulthard driving a CVT Williams.
Complaints about the noise would probably be much louder than now though :p

Would be interesting if someone made a CVT with proper manual control and not fake gears.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Would be interesting if someone made a CVT with proper manual control and not fake gears.

These two simply will never go together. There are no gears in a CVT - just bands that contract and expand simulating a ratio. That's it.

CVT.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's gotta be before the inevitable gas-guzzler tax, lol. It's been confirmed to burn gas at a rate of 1.5 gallons per minute with the hammer down. Bill McKibben is going to have a heart attack upon learning that.
Top speed is confirmed at 199 MPH. A little disappointed that they couldn't get to the double-century mark, if you ask me.

The pricing for the other Challengers is as follows:

SXT (Pentastar V6): $26,995
R/T (5.7 Hemi): $31,495
R/T Scat Pack (392 Hemi) :$38,495
SRT 392 (392 Hemi): $45,995

More info: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-will-hit-199-mph-burn-1-5-gal/

That thing was never designed with any aerodynamics in mind, period. To be honest I am surprised it isn't limited to less than that for safety reasons.

I hate it out of all proportion to rational thought.

But it is an awesome heel car and I am glad it exists.

Last I looked they made dual outlets for the cars I researched. I have a Blitz Nur Spec-R exhaust on my Evo, and was hoping for a single can style loud exhaust for the WRX but all I see are those dual outlets. : /

Oh okay, now I understand. Well I hope you see a NUR-SPEC release from them. I haven't been following the new STI/WRX release, but I'm sure there will be a few single exhaust releases for it (from various manufactures).

J-Rzez

Oh okay, now I understand. Well I hope you see a NUR-SPEC release from them. I haven't been following the new STI/WRX release, but I'm sure there will be a few single exhaust releases for it (from various manufactures).

Yeah, unfortunately I never "grew up", and I still love my loud exhausts lol. Don't know why, can't help it. It looks like I'll be going with this:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Tomei-440018-Expreme-Ti-Titanium-Catback-Exhaust

Also, looks like the Mustang got it's numbers out now:

5.0: 435hp / 400ftlb
Eco-Boost 2.3: 310hp / 320ftlb

5.0 is weighing in at 3700lbs.
2.3: 3500lbs.

Now we just got to wait and see what people get out of it in testing handling wise. That's where i'm most curious of the car (though I wouldn't be buying one now, maybe in 2 years or so when I pay off the new car, if i like it when i drive it). Ford claims it stomped it's Boss, so it's going to be impressive I think.

Ty4on

These two simply will never go together. There are no gears in a CVT - just bands that contract and expand simulating a ratio. That's it.

CVT.gif

I know very well how they work. I was thinking manual control like changing the gear ratio yourself instead of a computer doing it and stepless (no "gears"). Strange example, but it is possible on some lawnmowers like ours where the ratio increases the further you release the pedal. It's an incidental feature (hard to explain in text, but there is a gear leaver that locks the pedal) and much more elegant on some which it'd have to be in a car, but it would be really nice to have the right RPM all the time.

And CVT just means continous ratio. You can make a CVT from a simple planetary gear set which many hybrids do like the Prius. I still can't properly visulize them even though they're super simple.

AlphaSnake

I know very well how they work. I was thinking manual control like changing the gear ratio yourself instead of a computer doing it and stepless (no "gears"). Strange example, but it is possible on some lawnmowers like ours where the ratio increases the further you release the pedal. It's an incidental feature (hard to explain in text, but there is a gear leaver that locks the pedal) and much more elegant on some which it'd have to be in a car, but it would be really nice to have the right RPM all the time.

And CVT just means continous ratio. You can make a CVT from a simple planetary gear set which many hybrids do like the Prius. I still can't properly visulize them even though they're super simple.

Oh, well in that case meet the Saab Sensonic Transmission.

ascii42

Why would you want a CVT over a DCT?

A CVT has no business what so ever being in any sporty or sports car.

If you could manually set individual gear ratios, it'd be kind of like having a fully customizable transmission in Gran Turismo. That'd be kind of neat.

Shapingo

If you could manually set individual gear ratios, it'd be kind of like having a fully customizable transmission in Gran Turismo. That'd be kind of neat.

Have you ever driven a CVT? They are really terrible in comparison to even a normal standard auto with manual shift capability. The only thing they are good for is fuel economy.

Go test drive a CVT WRX then an EVO MR and then you will see the massive differences between the transmissions and their driver feedback.

TCRS

Banned

the whole point of CVT (=continuous variable transmission) is that there are no fixed gear rations. well, there are two fixed ratios but inbetween you have unlimited ratios, not only seven or eight as in current gearboxes. you can't set any point manually, there is nothing to set. check the animation again.

ascii42

the whole point of CVT (=continuous variable transmission) is that there are no fixed gear rations. well, there are two fixed ratios but inbetween you have unlimited ratios, not only seven or eight as in current gearboxes. you can't set any point manually, there is nothing to set. check the animation again.

I'm aware of how a CVT works. Some manufacturers that make CVTs allow you to manually shift between a set of predetermined ratios (two of them presumably being the highest and lowest possible, the rest being somewhere between those two). I know it defeats the purpose of a CVT. I was just saying it'd be neat if they allowed you to change the preset ratios.

I'm aware of how a CVT works, and yes there is something you could theoretically set. Some manufacturers that make CVTs allow you to manually shift between a set of predetermined ratios (two of them presumably being the highest and lowest possible, the rest being somewhere between those two). I know it defeats the purpose of a CVT. I was just saying it'd be neat if they allowed you to set them.

If I had a friend who bought a car where you could change the ratios I would immediately change them to 5:1, 5:1, 5:1, 5:1, 5:1, 0.2:1

GHG

This is the exact feeling I'm getting with this hellcat. It shouldn't even exist it's so nuts but it does. Love me some supercharged v8.

I might even straight swap my x6 for one when they find their way over to the Middle East.

Then regret my decision 2 weeks later.

Edit:

http://youtu.be/6xpZ2u2xAys

I will regret nothing but my wife just might kill me.

ac64da2b_obama-wiping-sweat-from-forehead.jpeg

Ty4on

Aside from "oh that's neat" it defeats the purpose of having a CVT. The CVT in normal operation would be significantly better than what you're suggesting.

Maybe. I haven't tried one, but my impression of most automatics is that they act as if I don't plan ahead by staying in the wrong gear when I've stopped accelerating and pre emptively downshifting for hills. I've also driven a lot of small diesels and with the turbo lag and long second gear means I have to rev to 3k in first in some hills and it always sounds so unrefined. Maybe have the option to choose the RPM so you didn't need to keep moving the gear ratio when setting off :p

I just hate all the electronics acting as if I can't operate a car, but I haven't had much experience with automatics and just extrapolate what electronic throttles do. My driving style on our roads is very relaxed so a CVT might fit well, but I just really like having a direct connection to the drivetrain with a stick and planning ahead.

AlphaSnake

It's sad that the ecoboost weighs more than the V6, and the manual transmission weighs more than the automatic.

The difference in weight is a negligible 8lbs or something.

And it's not sad, it makes perfect sense. The amount of extras strapped on to a turbocharged car dramatically increases weight. The motor itself may be smaller, but the two cylinders missing are more than made up for by the turbine, the piping, hoses, the clamps, cooling system/intercooler, and any additional manifold tidbits to round out the entire package. There's a lot of stuff involved.

And yes, automatics weigh less now because more R&D is being put into them with time, and materials used are lighter weight to reduce friction. Some transmissions use a significant amount of aluminum, as well. Manual transmissions have effectively hit their peak as far as design goes. The way traditional torque-converter automatics have evolved over the past 2-4 years has simply been stunning, the ZF gearboxes are simply out of this world - virtually DCT fast. And Chevy claims their brand new 8-speed automatic in the 2015 Corvttes are faster than a PDK.

A fucking PDK. Insane.

ruxtpin

Banned
This is the exact feeling I'm getting with this hellcat. It shouldn't even exist it's so nuts but it does. Love me some supercharged v8.

Same here. Though right now I keep being all wishy-washy between ...

1. 2015 Corvette
2. One of the top-trim levels of the new Mustang (I think the 350R got spied not too long ago)
3. The 6th-gen Camaro LS1 (or maybe 5th-gen if the 6th-gen looks like crap)
4. The Hellcat

I like the new Cayman GTS, but optioned out the way I want it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. I want something fast, a little bit ostentatious, loud, and that puts a smile on my face each time I crank it up.

AlphaSnake

Same here. Though right now I keep being all wishy-washy between ...

1. 2015 Corvette
2. One of the top-trim levels of the new Mustang (I think the 350R got spied not too long ago)
3. The 6th-gen Camaro LS1 (or maybe 5th-gen if the 6th-gen looks like crap)
4. The Hellcat

I like the new Cayman GTS, but optioned out the way I want it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. I want something fast, a little bit ostentatious, loud, and that puts a smile on my face each time I crank it up.

LS1 is a dinosaur engine from the 90s.

I think you mean LT1.

So I opted for the Mazda3 i Sport trim. How easy is it to add SiriusXM capability?

With the new Mazdas, the only way to get it is the iTouring trim with the $1,600 tech package. Or of course a higher trim, which were all out of my price range.

GHG

Probably. I get all the letters mixed up. Whatever the top of the line Camaro is... Not the new Z/28, but the one under it.

The ZL1?

I test drove one of those a few months ago along with a Caddy CTS-V. Crazy fast cars but I'm just too tall for either of them to be comfortable on my daily 30 minute commute. The room in the Challenger is much better however but the SRT just didn't feel fast enough for me. The hellcat should change that.

ruxtpin

Banned
The ZL1?

I test drove one of those a few months ago along with a Caddy CTS-V. Crazy fast cars but I'm just too tall for either of them to be comfortable on my daily 30 minute commute. The room in the Challenger is much better however but the SRT just didn't feel fast enough for me. The hellcat should change that.

Yeah, ZL1 - that's it. Whatever I end up getting will be my fun car. 2014 GLI is my current daily driver. It's enough at the moment, considering my commute consists of stop and go for 40 minutes. meh...

AlphaSnake

The LT1 is a dinosaur engine from the 90s..

:p

Hahaha, that got a chuckle out of me. As you know probably know, the original LT1 actually dates back to the 1970s.

Fortunately, none of the three LT1s share any commonality, just GM ran out of codes. Haha.

Bandit1

Hahaha, that got a chuckle out of me. As you know probably know, the original LT1 actually dates back to the 1970s.

Fortunately, none of the three LT1s share any commonality, just GM ran out of codes. Haha.

Haha yeah, you can get either a 1970 Chevelle SS or a 2004 Corvette Z06 with a LS6 too.

Top Bottom