• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Gritesh

Awesome! That sounds like a great deal. She hates how same-y crossovers are looking now and LOVES the GLK styling. I'm right there with her. Have you had any trouble with it? Everything I have read says they should be pretty solid.

Not a problem yet man, solid vehicle we've used it for daily driving for almost two years, family trips to the mountains in the winter and summer.

Heck for a while I didn't have a truck and I even used it to haul lumber (don't recommend this) from the hardware store back to my house.
Seats fold completely flat there are drings near the floor of the back seats for strapping stuff down, even had a roof mounted ski box on it for a year and took it camping it's been a great little cuv. Also it's no slouch for power and handles pretty decently.

Gritesh

My commute is mostly a 40 mile freeway trip, I leave at 5:45AM so traffic is usually light and the rain quit before the end of the day (when I am stuck in traffic) so I did alright. As long as you keep it above ~60 it's all good. Probably a trip to see that cruise by you in a rainstorm, hahaha. I did get a little wet but not bad. A highway accident causing traffic would've ended me tho.

I like the looks but I second guess a little not getting a fiberglass one painted to match instead. I'm always thinking resale value and being able to sell the top seperately to an owner of any color S2000 put me over the top for CF. I think it looks pretty good too though.

You could always *wince* wrap it.

But I like the cf, and man do I love the s2000s with a hardtop.

Looks great man

boltz

Currently have an M235i. Thinking between the M2 or Camaro 2SS. M2 prices over msrp are sketchy and waiting list is too long. Also rumors of the facelift getting the M4 S55 engine or B58 are kinda making me wait for an official announcement in 2017. Camaro is amazing and I kinda like it more than the M2 especially since it's cheaper and better equipped but it's not officially sold in Europe and nowhere to do services where I live. Also more expensive running costs I guess than the M2. I'll wait until June 2017 to decide.

For the next car question, I was thinking a M240i or a Camaro SS. What makes me favor the SS is the performance:price ratio and that it would make a great sleeper car considering the number of Camaros around and that it looks just like the last gen.

My commute is mostly a 40 mile freeway trip, I leave at 5:45AM so traffic is usually light and the rain quit before the end of the day (when I am stuck in traffic) so I did alright. As long as you keep it above ~60 it's all good. Probably a trip to see that cruise by you in a rainstorm, hahaha. I did get a little wet but not bad. A highway accident causing traffic would've ended me tho.

I like the looks but I second guess a little not getting a fiberglass one painted to match instead. I'm always thinking resale value and being able to sell the top seperately to an owner of any color S2000 put me over the top for CF. I think it looks pretty good too though.

Crazy, would've loved to have seen you at the time :p And the top looks good the way it is.

I caved in to my desire for new wheels - it was one of those things that I was going back and forth on for months and it's nice not to have to do that anymore. Also decided to put them on before powder coating them and I'm really happy with how they look, so that's how they'll stay. They are 17 lbs of 18x8.5 goodness :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

That's basically what I was wondering. Lucky for you it wasn't raining during slow driving and stopped raining when you made it to work. I've seen cars get totaled for wet interiors.

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

I spent all day thinking about this and I still dunno lol.

But in a few weeks I'll be upgrading my Miata's springs to something more comfortable while also having access to another vehicle as a daily driver for about a month so this should be a good indicator if I can go with a 2 car setup or if I'd much prefer one car to do it all.

That said if for funzies, if I do go with a 2 car setup, I'd probably go with the Ford ST's or a well-maintained Mazdaspeed3. But if I need one car to do it all, probs a Scooby WRX.

Unrealistically though, something about the MB E550 coupes speak to me. I drove one around for work a few days ago and it was a hoot to drive. That V8 was terrifying in a fun way(traction light kept going off lol), and it looks gorgeous especially in Mars Red:

2015-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Front-Quarter-1500x1000.jpg

We will be getting a 2015 GLK 350 4matic with AMG and Lighting Packages when my girlfriend finishes school and gets her big girl job.

Good luck trying to find one!

We sold one at work recently and I never even got to give it a proper photoshoot. IIRC, the day it went up on our website, somebody already put it on reserve immediately, couple of weeks later when I have it lined up for photos, customer came in and took it home lol.

The AMG wheels and lightning package definitely make the car stand out even more. I actually like the boxy design compared to the other CUV/SUV's in MB's line up... it almost reminds me of a baby G Wagen, while the others look like an aerodynamic mess.

Don't the S2000's have some kind of water releasing system from inside the cabin?

NC Miata's have these and it's actually somewhat of a pain since it can get clogged so you have to use a trombone brush(thankfully I used to play the 'bone in HS and college so I have a shitton of those lying around lol) and stick one end and hope it's long enough to reach the other end lol.

FStop7

Banned
I used to drive with the top down in the rain in my S2000 all the time. If you're going over 35-40mph the cabin stays dry. And even when it gets a little wet you can wipe it down in seconds. The materials are all water resistant.

Still probably the best all-around car I've owned.

It is possible to recode some keys
Google it and if reports are good might be worth the savings.

Is the RSX key chipped?

I'm sure it has an immobilizer chip in the key housing. My 2001 Maxima did.

I called around, got a locksmith to come out and make a key for less than the dealership

The only problem is that the key feels rigid, it doesn't go in the slot as smoothly as my old key. Should I complain?

AlphaSnake

I called around, got a locksmith to come out and make a key for less than the dealership

The only problem is that the key feels rigid, it doesn't go in the slot as smoothly as my old key. Should I complain?

Just like any key, it should smoothen out after a few uses. Try to slot it in and out for a few minutes

matmanx1

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

Well, I'm set for a while (I hope!) so it should be my wife's turn. Ultimately she gets to pick but I get to line up the candidates and for her I'm really going to try and steer her towards a new Mazda 6, preferably in the Gran Touring trim. Second place would probably be an Accord Sport.

Are SUVs popular amongs you guys in this thread?

I'm still loving my 2004 Lexus GX470 and driving it about half the time. It's basically a Lexus version of a V8 Toyota 4Runner with full time 4 wheel drive and all the luxury goodies. The only downside to it is the sub-20 mpg mileage but otherwise it's a great companion to the Miata for when I need more space and/or comfort.

mkenyon

Banned
Are SUVs popular amongs you guys in this thread?
CUVs, for sure.

People love the sporty AWD CUVs.

I gotta admit, I do like the idea of an Ecoboost V6 Explorer Sport with that new 10 spd tranny. Massive tuning/power potential with it. Plus they're pretty good looking.
Gorgeous. Best color on it too, IMO.

One of the most understated sporty cars that still catches attention. I turn my head every time I see one still.

SliChillax

For the next car question, I was thinking a M240i or a Camaro SS. What makes me favor the SS is the performance:price ratio and that it would make a great sleeper car considering the number of Camaros around and that it looks just like the last gen.

Ok so I just got back from seeing a Camaro 2LT and here's my thoughts.

Interior: Felt better than my M235i, not jaw dropping but there plastics were the same if not better in some parts and the leather was a huge upgrade from the shitty ass plastic rough leather the M235i uses. Seats were almost perfect, supportive and comfortable. The interior was a much more interesting place to be in than the M235i, it felt more special. Only upside to the M235i's interior is the steering wheel (design wise) but it's much smaller in the Camaro and it feels better to hold. Ambient lighting is also a nice addition, must make the interior feel nicer at night. Paddle shifters felt a bit cheap tbh, that was a bit disappointing but those can be changed I guess. Another downside compared to the M235i are the almost useless rear seats. I guess you can squeeze a medium person behind the front passenger if he moves his seat enough. It's ok for short drives.

Interior: Camaro wins

Exterior: Even though this was the basic V6 which I don't quite like as much as the 2SS, it was quite an eye catcher. Proportions wise the car is almost perfect, makes the M235i look boring and very incredibly narrow. There is literally nothing (imo) about the M235i that looks better than the Camaro.

Exterior: Camaro wins

Unfortunately I didn't get to drive the car as it was in a motor show, but I've been told that there might be a 2SS avaialble next month for me to test drive. I've read that the 2SS is a joy when it comes to handling (especially equipped with the magnetic shocks). Can't wait.

mkenyon

Banned
Ok so I just got back from seeing a Camaro 2LT and here's my thoughts.

Interior: Felt better than my M235i, not jaw dropping but there plastics were the same if not better in some parts and the leather was a huge upgrade from the shitty ass plastic rough leather the M235i uses. Seats were almost perfect, supportive and comfortable. The interior was a much more interesting place to be in than the M235i, it felt more special. Only upside to the M235i's interior is the steering wheel (design wise) but it's much smaller in the Camaro and it feels better to hold. Ambient lighting is also a nice addition, must make the interior feel nicer at night. Paddle shifters felt a bit cheap tbh, that was a bit disappointing but those can be changed I guess. Another downside compared to the M235i are the almost useless rear seats. I guess you can squeeze a medium person behind the front passenger if he moves his seat enough. It's ok for short drives.
gross

mkenyon

Banned
I know, it was also in a boring plastic looking white color but it was the only one they had. First 6 gen Camaro I've seen.
on a more serious note, ty for the comparison. I'm glad you pointed out the almost plasticy leather on BMWs. That stuff really is awful. I test drove an X5M that had the Napa Leather, and after sitting in it, it felt like a must buy option.

Ovid

I'm sure it has an immobilizer chip in the key housing. My 2001 Maxima did.
It's funny, I recently made duplicate keys for '02 Celica and I thought it was going to cost me well over $100 to get it programmed.

It turns out that it didn't have a chip in it. It only cost me $30 to make spares lol.

I actually went to check out a Camaro as well today.

I think this was the first one in the country in this color. 1SS 1LE.

It's 30 degrees here though and while I am on winter tires, this car has 285/305 Goodyear F1 Get 3's so I didnt bother to test drive it. I think theyre borderline r comps based on what I've read. Once its warmer I'll be back. Hopefully they have a better color.

Anyhow car looks nice. I dont have much negative to say about the looks except for the tiny mirrors both inside and out.
Brakes dont looks too large but apparently theyre 6 piston and have amazing stopping power.

31167691930_e50c3413c8_c.jpg

metalhead79

Neo Member
How do you guys feel about Ecoboost Mustangs?

I bought a premium EB Mustang (manual, of course) recently. I like it, it feels decently quick in Sport+ mode but every time I see a GT I feel some jealousy. I had my reasons for getting an EB over a GT. But having owned a Mustang GT in the past, I can't help but miss that V8 rumble.
As much as I like my EB and know it was a rational choice....these cars aren't about being rational.

The V8 is the heart and soul of a Mustang, isn't it? I should have bought a GT.

metalhead79

Neo Member
In all honesty, my wife. She didn't want the higher gas and insurance cost of a GT.

Don't get me wrong, the EB is a fun car and I know the platform can put down some serious power and I DO intend to mod the hell out of it. But, I just really miss that V8....

on a more serious note, ty for the comparison. I'm glad you pointed out the almost plasticy leather on BMWs. That stuff really is awful. I test drove an X5M that had the Napa Leather, and after sitting in it, it felt like a must buy option.

It's actually quite amazing how BMW can get away with it.

I sit in a standard Benz and while some parts are utter garbage(I'm looking at you shitty 90's head unit with all the buttons), the rest of the interior looks and feels nice. Jump over to a standard BMW and there's plastic everywhere... and that car was more than $35K when new. What the fnck yo?

On the other hand, the BMW's definitely drive nicer. I was actually having fun the other day in a base model X1 lol... the Benzes have a definitely have a more muted driving experience for most of the lineup except for the higher trims or AMG models.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with the two brands is that when they go cheap, they really go to 90's Chevy level kinds of cheap. Base model CLA's and GLA's for example are seriously not worth it... the amount of plastic everywhere and the lack of fit and finish with the interior is quite disappointing, at one point I had to ask, what's the point of going FWD if you're going to cheap out on the rest of the car anyway?

I know somebody in here has a CLA and for what it's worth, I actually like the CLA's and think it's a great car... in a higher trim. I believe it's the Night Package that makes the car worth it, along with the aluminum or wooden dash and the bits and pieces that are standard in the non A line.

I bought a premium EB Mustang (manual, of course) recently. I like it, it feels decently quick in Sport+ mode but every time I see a GT I feel some jealousy. I had my reasons for getting an EB over a GT. But having owned a Mustang GT in the past, I can't help but miss that V8 rumble.
As much as I like my EB and know it was a rational choice....these cars aren't about being rational.

Back when I was researching Mustangs I was definitely leaning towards the EB but I also knew that I'd probably regret it the moment I saw a GT. Thankfully I haven't bought one yet so I have no ragrets haha.

That said yeah, a V8 is definitely the heart and soul of a Mustang... well, any muscle car really.

AlphaSnake

I like them.

Get the Ford Performance tune for $600 which adds a shit load of power and is fully warrantied by Ford, as well. Also comes with an intake too. Makes the car nearly as powerful as a GT.

Do it.

Pinewood

I caved in to my desire for new wheels - it was one of those things that I was going back and forth on for months and it's nice not to have to do that anymore. Also decided to put them on before powder coating them and I'm really happy with how they look, so that's how they'll stay. They are 17 lbs of 18x8.5 goodness :)

Is that the Ralliart? I saw one on a lot today and apparently its most likely going on sale in the coming weeks so I left my contacts. Wondering how the general reliability and maintanace is

metalhead79

Neo Member
I like them.

Get the Ford Performance tune for $600 which adds a shit load of power and is fully warrantied by Ford, as well. Also comes with an intake too. Makes the car nearly as powerful as a GT.

Do it.

That is definitely a planned upgrade, along with an intercooler in the near future.

boltz

CUVs, for sure.

People love the sporty AWD CUVs.

I gotta admit, I do like the idea of an Ecoboost V6 Explorer Sport with that new 10 spd tranny. Massive tuning/power potential with it. Plus they're pretty good looking.

Gorgeous. Best color on it too, IMO.

One of the most understated sporty cars that still catches attention. I turn my head every time I see one still.

Thanks! I think the Edge Sports are pretty cool as well. I love how Ford has a performance variant of most of their lineup and it would be cool to see other mainstream manufacturers do the same.

The GTs do sound sweet, but when I test drove one at the LA car show a couple of weeks ago, it didn't impress me that much. A large part of that was due to the auto transmission though. With the tune that Alpha mentioned though, that should help you lose any regrets about not getting a GT.

Looks crazy in a good way; can't wait to see what the other manufacturers come out with.

Is that the Ralliart? I saw one on a lot today and apparently its most likely going on sale in the coming weeks so I left my contacts. Wondering how the general reliability and maintanace is

It's an Evo X GSR - I replaced the wing with a trunk lid spoiler as I prefer a more low-key look, not to mention that the wing blocks your view of traffic behind you. I'm not too familiar with the Ralliarts, but I'm guessing the SST transmission would be the biggest driver of any reliability/maintenance issues, so make sure to look into that.

Futaba

Here we go again, applying for ownership of another abandoned vehicle.. this one's a beaut.
Will post pics once I hear back

Hesemonni

Banned

Is it a hobby/fun car or a daily driver?

The way I see it 80% of the car purchasing process is emotion and 20% reason. Especially when we're talking about a daily driver the new car is awesome and interesting for 2-3 weeks after that honeymoon period it's just a car and the ratio of thought shifts into 20% emotion 80% reason.

V8 rumble is nice and everything, but other than that you're not missing anything performance wise. You have EB so it already tells me that you don't have to compensate for anything ;) That extra $8k can be spent better in fake beards and funny hats anyway.

J-Rzez

The 2.3L EB seems to be a solid motor. Responds to tunes really well. So you can make the EB mustang quick, cheap. That said, the 5.0 def has the sound on lock down. They sound so good with an exhaust. That's the one thing I'm ok with, but not thrilled by my RS is sound. Especially with the majority of aftermarket exhausts going for that typical euro-rasp sound. Borla just released a catback I kind of like, just wonder what it will sound like with a downpipe. The exhaust won't give me power, I just want sound to go with the pops. Ill be getting a ETS IC and another tune for my power in my round 2 of mods.

SliChillax

But does it put a fake sound through your speakers like BMW has been doing?

I might be in minority here but I don't have a problem with the fake sound. It's its own sound getting amplified through the speakers otherwise the car is too quiet. The fake sound isn't meant to fake the noise, it's supposed to make you hear something so it doesn't become too boring. I turned it off when I had the stock exhaust and the car was too damn quiet, not fun at all so I left it on. Now with the custom exhaust I can't tell if it's on or off cause the car is too damn loud anyway.

Crayon

I need one of those in my corolla.
I'm sure it would almost double the power of the 1.8L thats in there now.

I need one in my Celica. I mean, I already have one, but I blew it up so I need another. :( Barely go to drive it, too. Must have had some oiling problem. Mine was a beams. It was as nice as they say.

If anyone knows anywhere near the bay where I can get a beams that's not venus, let me know. I'm not trying to pay 400 bucks to ship a 500 dollar motor.

You can get quite a good sound out of the EB with an good exhaust. I drive the GT, the stock exhaust is really disappoint not matter what engine you choose. Was really the first thing that I had to change.

The EB is a nice engine and having power at low RPM is nice, besides the economic reasons. So it's really hard to compare an EB and a GT, both are great and it's good that they offer both.

J-Rzez

You can get quite a good sound out of the EB with an good exhaust. I drive the GT, the stock exhaust is really disappoint not matter what engine you choose. Was really the first thing that I had to change.

The EB is a nice engine and having power at low RPM is nice, besides the economic reasons. So it's really hard to compare an EB and a GT, both are great and it's good that they offer both.

Torque is insane with the 2.3EB. Especially since I got mine tuned, power is there at all times. 5th gear, uphill at 50mph, low revs, I pass with just a caress of the go pedal.

For an EB tune, Tune+ and Deadhook look to be good choices. The factory safe one for the mustang looks ok if you're really worried about warranty.

Fuel economy though, lifetime MPG is 20.2. Now to some that's good, especially since its all city and mountain driving, but my 15 WRX avg was 28mpg on the same roads lol. Hopefully Subaru responds to Ford trumping them and makes the next STI the king with a new motor finally, even less understeer, far better paint (suby paint should be criminal), and a much better interior. I'd say a better stereo, but that's a lost cause for that company Lol.

Those Rousch exhausts for V8 mustangs though... Damn they sound incredible.

Anion

So I got TSW Nurburgring rims for my winter tires lol. I was going to get cheaper Sparcos, but I guess I couldn't resist haha
Looks like this machine faced one

It's actually quite amazing how BMW can get away with it.

I sit in a standard Benz and while some parts are utter garbage(I'm looking at you shitty 90's head unit with all the buttons), the rest of the interior looks and feels nice. Jump over to a standard BMW and there's plastic everywhere... and that car was more than $35K when new. What the fnck yo?

On the other hand, the BMW's definitely drive nicer. I was actually having fun the other day in a base model X1 lol... the Benzes have a definitely have a more muted driving experience for most of the lineup except for the higher trims or AMG models.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with the two brands is that when they go cheap, they really go to 90's Chevy level kinds of cheap. Base model CLA's and GLA's for example are seriously not worth it... the amount of plastic everywhere and the lack of fit and finish with the interior is quite disappointing, at one point I had to ask, what's the point of going FWD if you're going to cheap out on the rest of the car anyway?

I know somebody in here has a CLA and for what it's worth, I actually like the CLA's and think it's a great car... in a higher trim. I believe it's the Night Package that makes the car worth it, along with the aluminum or wooden dash and the bits and pieces that are standard in the non A line.

Haha you are talking about me lol. I actually agree with you, though I love my CLA - I have to admit the finish could really use some styling up.
Compared to the previous generation C class, yes it is not too far from quality and plastic usage. However, the CLA is the base car in Mercedes all new "fancy interior-age," and it really is left far behind the new C class even though it is a step below.

That being said, it does look pretty good in a higher trim (yeah I'm biased lol). I really do hope the next generation CLA goes a bit more upscale. I doubt they will, cause it is supposed to be the entry level car.

My car has the AMG package. It has some of the same mechanical parts, such as the steering and suspension systems as the AMG 45. Aesthetically, it shares the AMG bumper and has red stitching on the steering and seats as well as red brakes and belts.

That being said, I wish Mercedes made the leather package a standard option. I forgot to check that box when I was customizing my car lol. It would have gotten me the leather dash with the red trim.

The actual AMG 45 has this recardo seats option...which makes the car look like this:
2017-mercedes-benz-cla45-amg-008-1.jpg

Top Bottom